Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92563
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 13:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog songs that were never played live
Posted By: Stool Man
Subject: Prog songs that were never played live
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:52
Before "Dark Side Of The Moon" Pink Floyd never played an entire album live, and a number of their songs were never played live at all.  "Summer '68", "Corporal Clegg", "A Pillow Of Winds", and so on...

Which songs by other Prog legends have never been played live?

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Replies:
Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:15
I don't think A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers has ever been played completely live. There's a video from them performing it "live" but I've read that they had to piece together parts of it after they filmed

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:16
The only song Dream Theater has written but never performed live was "Space-Dye Vest" from Awake. The reason Is that Kevin Moore wrote it, and left the band shortly after the album's release, so DT never played it live.

Another wonderful thing about prog, not many songs are left in the studio.

Posted By: Ajay
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:17
There's a list here of songs which Genesis never or rarely played live:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Genesis-466/Genesis-Live-Performances-1.htm

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 13:35
Rush has never played Madrigal live, and I believe they only played Fountain of Lamneth twice because of poor crowd reaction.

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 14:18
That's actually more difficult than I thought. Umm... Rush's Rivendell, maybe?
I thought Tool would have a few, but I can't find any--hell, I think they've even played Intermission.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 14:21
I don't think Genesis ever played Mad Man Moon live. I may be wrong though..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 14:37
I don't know if Rush ever did The Necromancer or The Fountain of Lamneth live.  Neither of these songs show up on any of their live albums but maybe they played them live back in the day.  My go to answer for this question used to be The Camera Eye, since they had never played that live before, but that was taken care of with their recent playing the entire Moving Pictures live tour.

-------------

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 14:42
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Rush has never played Madrigal live, and I believe they only played Fountain of Lamneth twice because of poor crowd reaction.

Fountain of Lamneth is my favourite Rush track Cry

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 14:55
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I don't know if Rush ever did The Necromancer or The Fountain of Lamneth live.  Neither of these songs show up on any of their live albums but maybe they played them live back in the day.  My go to answer for this question used to be The Camera Eye, since they had never played that live before, but that was taken care of with their recent playing the entire Moving Pictures live tour.

They played The Necromancer on the "Down the Tubes" tour, there is a bootleg floating around the internet of the one show that was recorded during that time. The sound quality is so poor though, that it's hardly worth tracking down even for historical purpose. 

Also, somewhere between the 2112 and AFWTK tours they played Bytor & the Snow Dog and the Necromancer and made a nice little medley out of it. 

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 15:04

That's cool.  I guess that I am not surprised that they played them back then.  I know that I have never heard them play those songs live, but my history with them only goes back to 1989. 

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 15:39

I saw Rush on the A Farewell To Kings tour in April of 1977, and they played everything from that album only excluding Cinderella Man.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 18 2013 at 15:42
Triumvirat did not tour with their album Old Loves Die Hard, but in the late nineties, Barry Palmer did a tribute concert where he sang I Believe from that album.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:33

I doubt that Yes have played their Madrigal either, although I could be wrong. I'd lay money that they have never played Circus of Heaven though.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 16:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I doubt that Yes have played their Madrigal either, although I could be wrong. I'd lay money that they have never played Circus of Heaven though.

They have played COH. Wembley Arena 1978. I remember Tommy Vance playing that show on the Friday rock show. That set really got me into Yes. COH on the other hand left me not knowing whether to laugh or cry...

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 16:48
King Crimson with "Indoor Games" , "Happy Family" and "Lizard", at least as far as I know. They also broke up by the time "Fallen Angel" and "One More Red Nightmare' came along.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:16
ELP never played anything from Love Beach live (they were'nt that cruel Wink)

As far as ELP's 'classic' albums go (up to and inc BSS) I think the only tracks they never played live were Three Fates , The Only Way , Living Sin and Benny Bouncer so basically just one track from each album. if any of those tracks were played live I would love to know when and where. Cheers.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:24
^They played benny The Bouncer live.

Oops when and  where, on  the BSS world tour. Not included on the live album  though.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:32
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Oops when and  where, on  the BSS world tour. Not included on the live album  though.

I did wonder about that as they played Jeremy Bender and The Sheriff as a medley so why not include Benny? 

Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I did wonder about that as they played Jeremy Bender and The Sheriff as a medley so why not include Benny? 

It was played as a seperate song entirely. I  have it somewhere...or at least I had it. maybe it went in the great hard drive crash of 05

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:59
This  is quite easy with some of the more recent bands, White Willow havent toured since 2006 so nothing of their most recent album, Terminal Twilight, has been played. We could actually end up with a very long list of modern bands that havent played several tracks, at least, live.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: March 19 2013 at 18:08
Recently I wondered if Vangelis ever performed any of the Blade Runner tracks live, and I couldn't find any mention of it. Very strange in my book. If I had done the score, I'd have flogged it into the ground; I'd still be doing Blade Runner tours. Yet he'll do Chariots of Fire endlessly. Did he ever get how much people love Blade Runner? Maybe working with Ridley Scott left a bad taste in his mouth? I don't know the story there, but if ever a film soundtrack (let alone a brilliant one like Blade Runner) was mismanaged by the artist himself to the point of incompetency, surely this was the one. The Vesper edition is still obligatory, for the key tracks that still haven't been released by Vangelis yet.

Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:52
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Recently I wondered if Vangelis ever performed any of the Blade Runner tracks live, and I couldn't find any mention of it. Very strange in my book. If I had done the score, I'd have flogged it into the ground; I'd still be doing Blade Runner tours. Yet he'll do Chariots of Fire endlessly. Did he ever get how much people love Blade Runner? Maybe working with Ridley Scott left a bad taste in his mouth? I don't know the story there, but if ever a film soundtrack (let alone a brilliant one like Blade Runner) was mismanaged by the artist himself to the point of incompetency, surely this was the one. The Vesper edition is still obligatory, for the key tracks that still haven't been released by Vangelis yet.

Vangelis rarely performs live. Usually its some very large one off event like Mythodea.

On rare occasions that I ever converse with people on music and Vangelis pops into the conversation its actually the Albedo and Heaven and Hell albums that are well remembered. Blade Runner has gathered some momentum thanks to the film but I'm not convinced its the potential commercial cash cow you are suggesting. Its actually a very bitty soundtrack compared to Chariots Of Fire (original release with the suite on side two not the recent reissue) or the series of soundtracks he did with a French film maker in the seventies (Apocalypse Des Animaux , Le Fate Sauvage  etc). There is certainly a love for that film though which I share.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 03:16
I dont know, but i would bet Crimson have never attempted "The Devil's Triangle" live.

"edit:"
But i was wrong :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5h1RQ9Pp0" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5h1RQ9Pp0

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 07:57
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

They have played COH. Wembley Arena 1978. I remember Tommy Vance playing that show on the Friday rock show. That set really got me into Yes. COH on the other hand left me not knowing whether to laugh or cry...
Probably cry.

Thinking about it, I was probably at that Wembley Arena gig, I must have erased that song from my memory.

Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:00

[QUOTE=jude111]On rare occasions that I ever converse with people on music and Vangelis pops into the conversation its actually the Albedo and Heaven and Hell albums that are well remembered. Blade Runner has gathered some momentum thanks to the film but I'm not convinced its the potential commercial cash cow you are suggesting. Its actually a very bitty soundtrack compared to Chariots Of Fire (original release with the suite on side two not the recent reissue) or the series of soundtracks he did with a French film maker in the seventies (Apocalypse Des Animaux , Le Fate Sauvage  etc). There is certainly a love for that film though which I share.

Maybe you're right. It's more of a cult favorite perhaps. I've found that people who love Vangelis point to albums like the ones you mentioned, while there are others (like me) who are more into the film and its music than anything else Vangelis did. (It does seem so unlike everything else he's done, although one can find individual tracks that are similar, such as those first two tracks on The City, and Abraham's Theme from Chariots.)

Believe it or not, alot of the early dubstep artists were influenced by the the film and its score. Makes sense if you consider that dubstep was originally pretty dark and painted images of dystopic urban landscapes. (In an interview, Burial mentioned that he's obsessed by the scene where Deckard is sitting eating in the rain; but he went on to say that overall he's not nearly as obsessed by that film as many other dubstep artists are, preferring Alien and Aliens instead.)

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:54
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

There's a list here of songs which Genesis never or rarely played live:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Genesis-466/Genesis-Live-Performances-1.htm

Very interesting, and apparently some very good songs were never played live, like After The Ordeal, Mad Man Moon and Blood On The Rooftops. Shocked

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:29
Watercolour Days was never played 'live' by Clouds, in fact, most of the Clouds recordings were never played 'live'. Because of recording techniques and overdubbing, this must apply to an awful lot of tracks that bands played on record only.

Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:39

Curiously enough, while "Poles Apart" was played live pretty often (and a few people here at PA have said it's one of their all-time Floyd favorites), it's never gotten a proper official release. It's not on PULSE, and it's not on any of Gilmour's live releases (Gdask, Albert Hall, etc.).

Posted By: fusaka
Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:40
- Big Big Train haven't played a single concert in a long while, so pretty much all their best material hasn't been played live.
- IQ has played everything off their official albums since Ever, apart from Shooting Angels on The Seventh House (not their best track, so no big loss).

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/fusaka/" rel="nofollow - my last.fm

Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:14

[QUOTE=jude111]On rare occasions that I ever converse with people on music and Vangelis pops into the conversation its actually the Albedo and Heaven and Hell albums that are well remembered. Blade Runner has gathered some momentum thanks to the film but I'm not convinced its the potential commercial cash cow you are suggesting. Its actually a very bitty soundtrack compared to Chariots Of Fire (original release with the suite on side two not the recent reissue) or the series of soundtracks he did with a French film maker in the seventies (Apocalypse Des Animaux , Le Fate Sauvage  etc). There is certainly a love for that film though which I share.

Maybe you're right. It's more of a cult favorite perhaps. I've found that people who love Vangelis point to albums like the ones you mentioned, while there are others (like me) who are more into the film and its music than anything else Vangelis did. (It does seem so unlike everything else he's done, although one can find individual tracks that are similar, such as those first two tracks on The City, and Abraham's Theme from Chariots.)

Believe it or not, alot of the early dubstep artists were influenced by the the film and its score. Makes sense if you consider that dubstep was originally pretty dark and painted images of dystopic urban landscapes. (In an interview, Burial mentioned that he's obsessed by the scene where Deckard is sitting eating in the rain; but he went on to say that overall he's not nearly as obsessed by that film as many other dubstep artists are, preferring Alien and Aliens instead.)

Alien is probably my second favourite film after Blade Runner. Ridlley Scott could happily leave sc-fi alone after making those two while others tried and failed to catch him up.

Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by fusaka fusaka wrote:

- Big Big Train haven't played a single concert in a long while, so pretty much all their best material hasn't been played live.
- IQ has played everything off their official albums since Ever, apart from Shooting Angels on The Seventh House (not their best track, so no big loss).

Interesting about IQ. I reckon they've also played everything off the first two albums. Nomzamo would almost certainly be their least performed album (although its not bad)

Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:42

Alien is probably my second favourite film after Blade Runner. Ridlley Scott could happily leave sc-fi alone after making those two while others tried and failed to catch him up.

I was really disappointed in Prometheus; I don't get the adoration many have for that film. On another note, Scott's apparently going to do a sequel to Blade Runner.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 21 2013 at 19:36
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

That's actually more difficult than I thought. Umm... Rush's Rivendell, maybe?
I thought Tool would have a few, but I can't find any--hell, I think they've even played Intermission.

Rush has never played Losing It live Unhappy and  I don't believe they've played Nocturne live either Disapprove

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 03:42

I was really disappointed in Prometheus; I don't get the adoration many have for that film. On another note, Scott's apparently going to do a sequel to Blade Runner.

Prometheus is one of the better sci-films of recent years imo but it will always suffer by comparison to those other 2 films

I wasn't aware about the sequel to Blade Runner. My first thought is ''don't do it!!''

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 03:44
Have Gentle Giant performed Dog's Life live?  I don't know of any disc, at least, with that one.

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:04

I saw Rush in 1981 at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo. It was the very first date on their Moving Pictures tour, and they certainly played The Camera Eye during the show. They had visuals for the song, too.

The only song they didn't play from Moving Pictures that concert was Witch Hunt.

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:21
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

I saw Rush in 1981 at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo. It was the very first date on their Moving Pictures tour, and they certainly played The Camera Eye during the show. They had visuals for the song, too.

The only song they didn't play from Moving Pictures that concert was Witch Hunt.

Pretty sure they played Camera Eye when isaw them in.....can'tbremeber...I rthink ....Birmingham on the Grace Under Pressuer tour but could have  been Lndon Hold Your Fire

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:21
Sorry   late  been drinking

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:22
Goodnight

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:27
Watcha drinking, Snowdog? Tongue

Found a site that has the setlist to the 1981 Kalamazoo show.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1981/wings-stadium-kalamazoo-mi-4bd1ebb6.html

Camera Eye is song #7

Sounds about right. It's been over 32 years ago, I couldn't begin to know if they have every single song right, or the correct order, but I do remember very well that Witch Hunt was the only new song they didn't play that night, confirmed by that list.

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: March 25 2013 at 21:25
Yes' "Clear Days" Violin

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 25 2013 at 22:10
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I dont know, but i would bet Crimson have never attempted "The Devil's Triangle" live.

"edit:"
But i was wrong :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5h1RQ9Pp0" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5h1RQ9Pp0

They did that all the time, although it's usually referred to as "Mars" sense it's really an adaption of Gustav Host's "Mars; bringer of War"

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 27 2013 at 23:03

There's a list here of songs which Genesis never or rarely played live:http://en.allexperts.com/q/Genesis-466/Genesis-Live-Performances-1.htm

I looked at this list - very interesting. I was going to guess Harlequin, but it says it was rotated in and out of the regular set. Blood on the Rooftops was never played live by Genesis, but has been played quite a bit by Steve Hackett.

Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 02:56
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

There's a list here of songs which Genesis never or rarely played live:http://en.allexperts.com/q/Genesis-466/Genesis-Live-Performances-1.htm

I looked at this list - very interesting. I was going to guess Harlequin, but it says it was rotated in and out of the regular set. Blood on the Rooftops was never played live by Genesis, but has been played quite a bit by Steve Hackett.

I suppose if Hackett had stayed in Genesis then it might have got onto the live shows. As it was a Hackett song I guess they were not comfortable playing it live plus the fact that it was one of the last Genesis tracks featuriing a Mellotron. Banks more or less ditched it  and Genesis stopped playing songs with Mellotron.

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 19:30
According to a Rush Facebook site I'm on with very knowledgeable Rush fans, Rush has never played:

Take A Friend
Before And After
Making Memories
Rivendell
parts of Fountain Of Lamneth
Lessons
Tears
Madrigal
Different Strings
Losing It
Emotion Detector
Open Secrets
Second Nature
Tai Shan
High Water
Chain Lightning
Anagram
Red Tide
Hand Over Fist
Available Light
Face Up
The Big Wheel
Heresy
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life
Cut To The Chase
Alien Shore
Speed Of Love
Everyday Glory
The Color Of Right
Totem
Dog Years
Carve Away The Stone
Peaceable Kingdom
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Vapor Trail
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne
Freeze
Out Of The Cradle
Bravest Face
Good News First
We Hold On
BU2B2

I've no idea how correct that list is, but it wasn't corrected by one of my buddies who knows more about Rush-related stuff than most people Question

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk