Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92640
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 02:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sci-fi & fantasy films
Posted By: Stool Man
Subject: Sci-fi & fantasy films
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 04:57
Most of us like sci-fi and fantasy films, don't we.  But do you have a particular favourite?

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Replies:
Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 08:41
I find myself having trouble choosing between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 09:12
Lord Of The Rings. It's got heart.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 09:31
Star Wars. I always enjoy seeing most of the SW movies again.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:46
Star Wars (the prequels and Empire mainly) just over LOTR which is a fair bit ahead of The Terminator and the Marvel superhero movies. 

You forgot the Star Trek movies however.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:54
Alien for me.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:57
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

You forgot the Star Trek movies however.

Fixed

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:53
I like the two first Alien movies, but my DVD collection only features 50's/60's Sci-Fi/Fantastic movies ("Carnival of the Bizarre"!)

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:05

STar Wars

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:23
LoTR, though the first two Aliens and AvP I are quite close to being favourites.

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:41
Star Trek for me. (yeah I know this isn't from one of the movies. )

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:44
photo

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 22:37
I guess I don't have preference. haha

Though I do like the Star Trek franchise.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 22:47
I don't equate Alien films which I love (except for Prometheus), with Predator films which got progressively worse, and though a diehard Star Wars fan, I vote 60s & 70s classics; Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, Fantastic Voyage, Logan's Run, 2001, great era

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 23:02
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

photo

As far as I know, the only weapons an Imperial stardestroyer has are heavy blasters, whereas the Constitution Class starship has both phasers and photon torpedoes.   However, the danger to the Federation ship is if the Imperial ship deploys fighters--  then I think the stardestoyer beats the starship in a long battle.  And they can both hyperspace away (and track each other through light-speed), so that would be a moot feature.   It would be ugly, oh yes.

Geek

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 07:57
^Full frontal nerdity... But I guess it's quite normal (and even expected) in this thread!

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 08:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I don't equate Alien films which I love (except for Prometheus), with Predator films which got progressively worse, and though a diehard Star Wars fan, I vote 60s & 70s classics; Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, Fantastic Voyage, Logan's Run, 2001, great era

I would def vote for Aliens on their own.  But I will vote for Ray HH cos nobody else has.  Mainly for the memories of Skeletons when I was a kid!

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:53

As far as I know, the only weapons an Imperial stardestroyer has are heavy blasters, whereas the Constitution Class starship has both phasers and photon torpedoes.   However, the danger to the Federation ship is if the Imperial ship deploys fighters--  then I think the stardestoyer beats the starship in a long battle.  And they can both hyperspace away (and track each other through light-speed), so that would be a moot feature.   It would be ugly, oh yes.

Geek

Clap

-------------

Posted By: fusionfreak
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 13:01
Star Wars 4/5/6 for me but there are so many like Silent Running,Planet of the apes,THX 1138,Clockwork Orange,Solyent Green,The black hole or Westworld

-------------
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 13:49
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Geek

Clap

Ah, but, at least from the Star Wars EU, their ships travel through hyperspace by using hyperspace lanes, i.e. they can only travel ftl from certain beginning points to certain ending points.  Granted in the SW universe these lanes are fairly numerous, but the Enterprise travels ftl by creating an extra-dimensional warp field around itself and therefore can travel ftl from any starting point to any end point.  In a bravely run away situation, I'd give the edge to the Enterprise. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: June 03 2013 at 21:00
50-70
btw voted 60-70

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 13:30

I think my favorite subgenre of sci-fi films are what I would refer to as cyberpunk. On the one hand, cyberpunk is defined by its focus on 'high tech and low life,' and is concerned with IT, cyberspace, and a kind of future dystopia. I'd go further and say that, while classic sci-fi was about exploring outer space (coinciding with 20th century imperialism, mapping the world), cyberpunk is about shrinking spaces (Western decline post-Vietnam/post-Thatcher & Reagan)... So with that in mind, here are the films I have in mind:

La jetee and its remake Twelve Monkeys, Blade Runner (and Alien and Aliens as well), The Matrix, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show, Children of Men, Dark City, The Mist, Cube, Total Recall, The Terminator, Open Your Eyes (and its remake Vanilla Sky), The Last Winter, Battle Royale (Japanese sci-fi/horror film), Event Horizon...

And zombie films may be considered to be not only sci-fi films (it's usually for scientific reasons that the zombie outbreak is unleashed), but also related to the 'shrinking spaces' and 'dytopia' that I outlined above: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, Pontypool (a Canadian zombie flick that deserves to be seen by more people), The Crazies, Bio-Zombie (a cool Hong Kong zom-com), Mulberry Street, and of course The Walking Dead...

Many Japanese and Asian horror films are concerned with ghosts using technology to haunt and work their evil: cellphones (Phone and One Missed Call), VCRs and TV (The Ring), the computer (Kairo/Pulse - my personal favorite), cameras (Shutter). In fact, Kairo starts off as a ghost film and ends with the end of the world!

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 14:26
My Hero

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk