Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92645
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 14:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your journey to work?
Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Subject: Your journey to work?
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 10:43
What is the (Main way) you get to work / school / college on a normal day?  (Boring I know but I'm interested) Please tell us a bit more if you care! 

I ride a bicycle every day and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I really enjoy my journey and most of it is on a cycle path so I can stay away from those nasty cars Wink

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Replies:
Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 10:47
I drive about 15 miles to work and back.  

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: happythe
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:00
Either 15 minutes walk and 20 minutes on the metro, or 45-50 minutes by bike.
Generally it's the first in the morning and the second in the evening (renting a city bike). Ain't nobody getting me out of bed TEN TO FIFTEEN minutes early just for a marginally greener planet.

-------------
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:02
I live in Southern California.  My gas pedal feels like a growth on the bottom of my foot.  I have to admit that I drive everywhere!  LOL

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:09
Atlanta's like that too.  Everywhere is a 30 minute drive to everywhere else, and the public transport system is fairly limited.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:15
My journey to work usually involves outrunning the police, driving on the wrong side of the road or in the center lane when the traffic on my side is moving too slowly, mowing down random pedestrians and tendonitis from overusing my middle finger.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:17
So the Tardis is playing up a bit? 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:31
drive solo, fast, with tunes cranked.  

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 11:51
About a 10-minute drive in good traffic.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:00
Car.  5-mile drive.  Can take 10 minutes on a good day; a 1/2 hour or more on a bad day.

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:01
8 miles; drive 15-20 minutes.
A new light rail is opening up near my work in April, but I'd have to drive half the way (time-wise, anyway) to get to it, so little point.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: refugee
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:05
Other. I crawl two meters from my bed to my desk.

-------------
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 12:38
For the part of my work that I cannot do at my desk at home, I use - almost always - my car.

Posted By: Ajay
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:23
I get out of bed, walk down the hallway, and there I am.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:38
For school I walk upstairs, into my living room

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 14:50
BEAM UP, SCOTTY! 

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:33
Other: mixed. I go to one job by foot (6 min). I go to another job on my car (20 min with medium traffic). I go to university on the bus (25-30 min) 'cause my mother uses my car. That's the arrangement. 

The buses are the worst. F$%king public transportation. I get to smell the BO of the lowlife folks around me.
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

... and then you teleport to school?
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

I get out of bed, walk down the hallway, and there I am.
Memory gaps? Tongue

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:41
First vote for train.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 15:52
15 mile commute by car, ~ 25 minutes.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:23
Car all the way.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Car all the way.

Not hot air balloon?

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:54
I live in Atlanta,  it's really hard not to be a single person car driver here.  On the bright side, I had about 20 years spanning two jobs where my drive was inside the perimeter highway and typically 20 minutes of light traffic.  

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:01
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

no.

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:21
Damn, I envy you guys who get to work and school from home.  I'd kill to work from home.  

-------------

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:42
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Atlanta's like that too.  Everywhere is a 30 minute drive to everywhere else, and the public transport system is fairly limited.
Yes I seem to recall there were some transportation problems during the Olympics when they were held there . Appears things haven't improved much ?

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:44
I car share.

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:11
My bus takes about 10 minutes to get to my school. If I feel like it, I'll walk, which will take about 35 minutes.

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:14

no.

Have you considered teleporting to school?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

no.

Yes, I agree, you should at least consider teleportation to school. 

(Cheaper, Quicker)

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:43

Car all the way.
Not hot air balloon?
Are you kidding me? Don't you know those things can kill you stone dead (du-uh)?

Date Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:55
I used to find the act of traveling pleasurable but these days I'd be pretty happy to be able to "beam" places.  That would be liberating to a new degree.  

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 06:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I used to find the act of traveling pleasurable but these days I'd be pretty happy to be able to "beam" places.  That would be liberating to a new degree.  

When I lived close to the factory I used to walk to work, now we've downscaled the factory to offices and I've moved out of town, I drive the 5 miles to work each day - it's too short to be of any bother and not long enough to be interesting. Several times a year I have to travel the 200 miles to our factory in Norwich.

When I was a kid that region of Eastern England was our regular holiday location and I have fond memories of loading up my Dad's Austin A35 (a van with windows) with camping gear and setting off for the Norfolk coast, along the way we'd pass through quaint English villages occasionally stopping at one of their pubs for refreshment (a bottle of Vimto and a packet of crisps in the car for us kids who weren't allowed in the pub in those days) or we'd call-in at one of the many small transport cafés for a late breakfast; sometimes we'd stop at  Newmarket racecourse to watch them training horses along side the road, or at Snetterton racetrack where we could see Lotus running car test and every year we'd stop at a roadside grave of an unnamed Gypsy child where Dad would get us to pick wild flowers to lay on the grave. The Austin didn't have a car radio, Dad rigged up a Dansette "111"  transistor radio plugged into a 12 foot whip aerial that had once graced an army tank so we could sing along to The Beatles and The Beach Boys on the journey. On summer hols in 1966 we were flagged down by a Norfolk policeman - he said there was nothing wrong but couldn't help noticing the 4-yard tank aerial bolted between front and back bumper of the car and ask us if we knew the football score - we spent the next hour parked by the roadside with him, listening to the World Cup final and drinking tea made on our camping stove before continuing our journey.

Now I travel the same road a dozen times a year and it has become the most boring journey imaginable: the roads are now straight, flat and featureless; all the villages (bar one) have been "bypassed" in the name of progress - soon that village too will be just a signpost off a new stretch of road; to find the last remaining transport café (the http://www.comfortcafe.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - Comfort Café at Fourwentways) you have to leave the main road to discover the original route of the A11 trunk road.

I tire of this journey very quickly such that an hour into the return trip I wish there was a warm friendly button on the dashboard marked "HOME" that I could press and be instantly transported to my drive.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 07:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Now I travel the same road a dozen times a year and it has become the most boring journey imaginable: the roads are now straight, flat and featureless; all the villages (bar one) have been "bypassed" in the name of progress - soon that village too will be just a signpost off a new stretch of road; to find the last remaining transport café (the http://www.comfortcafe.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - Comfort Café at Fourwentways) you have to leave the main road to discover the original route of the A11 trunk road.

I know what you mean. The same thing has been done to the drive between Sydney and Newcastle, NSW. All the colour, charm and interest I remember from family trips when I was a child is now off the direct route. - And my dad used to drive an Austin, too. Smile

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 07:34
It used to be 1 hour drive by car, recently I moved a bit closer and it's now some 35 minutes drive, luckily no heavy traffic unless bad weather or accidents. In summer I take the motorbike now and then. No convenient public transportation available for me.
How I envy those of you who work from home, although I wonder if I would have the required willpower and discipline.

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

When I was a kid that region of Eastern England was our regular holiday location and I have fond memories of loading up my Dad's Austin A35 (a van with windows) with camping gear and setting off for the Norfolk coast, along the way we'd pass through quaint English villages occasionally stopping at one of their pubs for refreshment (a bottle of Vimto and a packet of crisps in the car for us kids who weren't allowed in the pub in those days) or we'd call-in at one of the many small transport cafés for a late breakfast; sometimes we'd stop at  Newmarket racecourse to watch them training horses along side the road, or at Snetterton racetrack where we could see Lotus running car test and every year we'd stop at a roadside grave of an unnamed Gypsy child where Dad would get us to pick wild flowers to lay on the grave. The Austin didn't have a car radio, Dad rigged up a Dansette "111"  transistor radio plugged into a 12 foot whip aerial that had once graced an army tank so we could sing along to The Beatles and The Beach Boys on the journey. On summer hols in 1966 we were flagged down by a Norfolk policeman - he said there was nothing wrong but couldn't help noticing the 4-yard tank aerial bolted between front and back bumper of the car and ask us if we knew the football score - we spent the next hour parked by the roadside with him, listening to the World Cup final and drinking tea made on our camping stove before continuing our journey.

That's a great story Dean, I love hearing about those day.  A similar situation here, with many of our roads bypassing  the off path little towns and features.  Although not completely, when I head north every summer I get off the main roads and travel the back roads through rural farm community, and immerse myself in this landscape.  I feel so at home there that I sometimes wonder if I'm not a reincarnated farmer from the old days.

Speaking of transistors, I had one too which I used to listen to pop music and sports games late into the night....remember the single ear jack?  Great for laying in bed and listening after official bedtime!

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:31
Car. A 20-30 min drive. But I'll soon be selling my car, 'cause I can't afford it, so then it will be underground+bus. Can't say I'm looking forward to that.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:58

Speaking of transistors, I had one too which I used to listen to pop music and sports games late into the night....remember the single ear jack?  Great for laying in bed and listening after official bedtime!

The Dansette 111 (I still own it and it still works, though it's AM only so not a lot of use inthe UK)

This didn't have an earphone jack, so I drilled a hole in the fiberglass case and fitted one.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:03
Nice modification! 

By today's standards that ear piece looks really long!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:10

That's a great story Dean, I love hearing about those day.  A similar situation here, with many of our roads bypassing  the off path little towns and features.  Although not completely, when I head north every summer I get off the main roads and travel the back roads through rural farm community, and immerse myself in this landscape.  I feel so at home there that I sometimes wonder if I'm not a reincarnated farmer from the old days.

Last summer I bought a little open-topped MG roadster and for a brief period, (until I wrecked it on a motorway to Norwich Ouch), it was an immense pleasure to get off the beaten-track and take to the country roads - it was definitely a car made for that kind of driving, not for schlepping up the motorway.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:22
Oh ouch!.....I'm guessing it was totalled?  Or were you able to fix it?   

You walked away largely unscathed from this one?

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:24

Oh ouch!.....I'm guessing it was totalled?  Or were you able to fix it?   

You walked away largely unscathed from this one?
The insurance company wrote it off and wouldn't allow me to buy back the wreck. I was completely unharmed, not even a stiff neck. Couldn't sleep for weeks after though.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:36
I believe it....the noise from those collisions is not something you forget quickly.  I still remember my worst wreck....that feeling of "slow motion" just before impact is true, I felt it.  Had I not managed to swerve in the manner I did to avoid the worst impact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here.  That car didn't have airbags.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:45
That slow-motion is unpleasant to say the least - I remember making the conscious decision not to swerve and bear the brunt head-on because the choices left and right were far worse. If it had been a front-engined car I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:54
Quite clever to make that choice Dean.  Sounds nasty. 

You are more likely to be KSI as a passenger because when and accident occurs the driver tends to try to swerve away from the point of impact.   

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 11:11
Bicycle. My work is some 14 km (c. 9 miles) from my home.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 11:30
Driving or walking, depends on my mood.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 12:46
Driving at the moment as Cincinnati public transport is shocking. I used to take a 40 minute train ride when I lived in CT and I'll be busing it or walking when I move to Boston in a month.

Dean - I used to have an MR2 Spyder two seater convertible that was wonderful for back roads, fortunately I never crashed it but it was loads of fun for the 5 years I had it. Currently drive a BMW 328xi that is easily the nicest car I've ever owed.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 13:00
^ Did you have to sell your Spyder?

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 15:01

^ Did you have to sell your Spyder?
I traded it in (with a Jeep Wrangler) on the BMW.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 15:07
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Bicycle. My work is some 14 km (c. 9 miles) from my home.

Clap Impressive.  (I only work 3 miles away) at least I'm not the only cyclist here

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 16:07
Sad to see that nice MG crashed Unhappy  I love little sports cars, they don't make them anymore, Ian I'm pretty sure the MR2 was a joy to drive, always loved those.

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 17:20
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

no.

(Cheaper, Quicker)

How is teleportation cheaper than walking up my stairs?

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 17:38

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

no.

(Cheaper, Quicker)

How is teleportation cheaper than walking up my stairs?

Walking upstairs needs energy and energy comes from food and food costs money. 

Teleportation is completely made up therefore costs nothing.

Approve

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 18:03
lol

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 19:08

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 22:07
It was a trick question, the correct answer is there are many more bands other than Journey I'd want to listen to on the way into work.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 24 2013 at 22:56

Car all the way.
Not hot air balloon?
Are you kidding me? Don't you know those things can kill you stone dead (du-uh)?

Exactly. I try to avoid becoming stone dead as much as I can.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk