Print Page | Close Window

Fruupp

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92757
Printed Date: April 17 2024 at 21:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fruupp
Posted By: dr prog
Subject: Fruupp
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 20:21
Just discovered these guys. Picked up the perfect wish. Fine stuff.
Who likes them?

Replies:
Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:42
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Just discovered these guys. Picked up the perfect wish. Fine stuff.
Who likes them?

Did you mean Fruupp...? If so I have all 4 of their lp's.....one of the first obscure things I got into in the old days.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 00:11
I have one album, "Future Legend", Not bad but it doesn't impress me too much.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 00:42
Perfect wish is great. Very melodic. It craps on many highly rated albums in here. Eg. Nursery, minstrel, dark side, in the court etc

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 01:09
Modern Masquerades is one of my favourite albums of all time.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 01:17
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Modern Masquerades is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Yeah that's coming in the mail. Can't wait

Posted By: Kosmonaut
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 03:02
I really like Future Legends.

Never heard of this 'The Perfect Wish' though...And it's not listed in their discography here (?).

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 04:11
Proud owner of all their 4 LP's too !!!  Love them all - especially Future Legends.  Farelly plays awesome bass, McCusker is a wicked guitarist, Houston (and Mason) always tasteful on the keys and Foye spot on with the drums. 
Totally fetching artworks on all the albums too.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 04:20
Ha, only listened to `Seven Secrets' just last night, and now I find this thread!

Got the complete set myself! I think in a few spots the vocals try a bit hard, but there's something about a really good and underrated prog rock band that released four great albums, and disappeared before the late 70's/commercial rot got to them!

I wonder what chance there would be of a reunion with these guys? I think there'd be enough love for them, and there's plenty of other fairly obscure bands that have come back, so why not Fruupp? Although if I recall, one of them left the band for personal religious reasons?

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:08
Originally posted by Kosmonaut Kosmonaut wrote:

I really like Future Legends.

Never heard of this 'The Perfect Wish' though...And it's not listed in their discography here (?).

Perfect Wish is the last track on 7 Secrets lp.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:10
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Perfect wish is great. Very melodic. It craps on many highly rated albums in here. Eg. Nursery, minstrel, dark side, in the court etc

Woah...slow down cowboy.......Fruupp are a good symph prog band but nothing is better than ITCOTCK.....nothing.

Wink

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 13:42
Future Legends is excellent, an easy 4 star for my taste. I also have The Prince Of Heaven's Eyes & Modern Masquerades together, but never listened to it for some reason.
I'll put it on right now!

And you're absolutely right Michael about the runion Clap

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:51
I have Seven Secrets, which is my only Fruupp experience so far. I like it, beautiful in some passages actually.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 15:41
I had a two for one a long time ago of "prince of heaven's eyes" and "Modern masquerades." A track or two were left off from each to make room for the whole thing to fit. Pretty good symph prog with very nice synths and piano. Sort of like Genesis lite. I remember in the booklet where they talked about when they opened up for Genesis which didn't surprise me in the least.

Anyway, I'll have to check these guys out again at some point. Nothing really groundbreaking or jaw dropping but some really solid symph prog nonetheless.

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 16:48
Oops the album is called prince of heaven not perfect wish. I love it though. Prince of darkness is cool

Date Posted: March 29 2013 at 17:53
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Future Legends is excellent, an easy 4 star for my taste. I also have The Prince Of Heaven's Eyes & Modern Masquerades together, but never listened to it for some reason.I'll put it on right now!And you're absolutely right Michael about the runion Clap

Sagi, listen to `Prince...' right now! I just gave it a spin again, it must be one of the most joyous, heartfelt and optimistic prog albums I've ever heard!

The vocals alone are the best they've ever been in Fruupp, so confident and commanding! Lovely melodies too.

There's still plenty of that medievil/fairy-tale/kings and queens atmosphere, and the production really gives the album a pop!

Hope you enjoy!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 05:26
Listenning to Seven Secrets right now. Soft and sweet.

Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 05:30
Lovely album, Pierre, delicate folk and manic energy at the same time!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 05:32
Yeah, sounds good. Another on my whislist number .... I don't recall. Big smile

Posted By: Adams Bolero
Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 06:12
By far the best Irish prog band which doesn't say much really since Ireland never had many prog bands. All four of their albums are fantastic in my opinion. They don't get the respect they deserve. They stand side by side with the likes of Thin Lizzy, Horslips, Clannad & U2 as one of the all time finest Irish musical acts. 

-------------
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus

Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 06:37
Fruup are another great find for me. Eloy, oblivion express, banco, greenslade, zao, hawkwind(post Lemmy), Gilgamesh, grobschnitt, heldon, abacus, fields have been other great finds in the last 2 years

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 08:41
In every way that Genesis dissappoint me, Fruupp leaves me satisfied. To me, Selling England is a 3 star album and Modern Masquerades is a 5 star album.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 14:15
Am I the only one that picks up on a bit of a Gentle Giant sound throughout the Fruupp albums? I can't quote place what it is...maybe the vocals sounds a little similar in sections, but there's also the bouncy, quirky energy, the occasional medieval/madrigal elements...

Help me out here if you agree!

Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 16:01
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

In every way that Genesis dissappoint me, Fruupp leaves me satisfied. To me, Selling England is a 3 star album and Modern Masquerades is a 5 star album.

You're right. They're more melodic. Something like prince of darkness craps on Harold the barrel. Much better composition. I also like the fruupps piano playing more as well as the guitar sound and the vocals more than genesis in general

Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Am I the only one that picks up on a bit of a Gentle Giant sound throughout the Fruupp albums? I can't quote place what it is...maybe the vocals sounds a little similar in sections, but there's also the bouncy, quirky energy, the occasional medieval/madrigal elements...

Help me out here if you agree!

They are fun like gentle giant. Looking forward to getting the next album. We're probably the only 2 melbourne people who have heard of them lol

Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 17:11
Oh mr Zao, I didn't even notice you were from Melbourne!

I think we could also add Zao to that short Melbourne list!

So are Fruupp recording another album?!

Date Posted: March 30 2013 at 18:49
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh mr Zao, I didn't even notice you were from Melbourne!

I think we could also add Zao to that short Melbourne list!

So are Fruupp recording another album?!
..........and only one person in Queensland............

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:38
I reckon there's a few Aussies here.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 03:10
How blissful are the instrumental passages of 'Seven Secrets'........??  Beautiful, just beautiful.

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 03:18
I think `Seven Secrets' was the first album of theirs I really fell for, it became my nightly soundtrack on a whole week of drive-in's on nightshift last year. There's a realy sprightly spring in it's step, very uplifting, reflective and nice balance of the modern and medieval!

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 15:45
The Prince of Heaven's Eyes (1974) and Modern Masquerades (1975) are their best. And I like electric piano in the latter.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 10 2013 at 14:57
Hi,

I have 2 of their albums and I got them because of one song in "Modern Masquerades", and you can guess which one ... the best song in there, and the only one that you can tell got some studio time to clean it up!

And that has been my only comment (not complaint) about this band ... you can tell they were grossly underfunded and never had the chance to get into a studio with someone that could help them clean up their material and put together some masterful pieces ... all in all, there is nothing to dislike, but there is a certain amount of ... something missing here ... that would have made the music stronger and better ... it's almost like too much of that home recording studio thing, and in those days, it was not as good as it can be today! It was way harder then!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 11 2013 at 04:16
I got masquerades yesterday. Pretty cool stuff. I have Princess of heaven too. Both fine albums and the recordings are fine to me.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk