n The Hot Seat...at lease it has a decent album cover  LOL

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 02:56
Haven't heard `Hot Seat' for quite some time, but `Love Beach' isn't quite the dog it's made out to be. Palmer's drumming in particular is terrific!

I think the sexually suggestive lyrics on `Taste Of My Love' (ugh, even that title!) are the worst thing about it!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 03:27
Oy! Like choosing between to sexually transmitted diseases this is.

Love Beach...I suppose.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 04:39
LOve Beach is miles  and miles  and miles better.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 05:15
Love Beach for me

Posted By: Adams Bolero
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 05:51
'Love Beach' is actually a good album if you ignore the cover but 'In The Hot Seat ' definitively deserves the title 'On the Toilet Seat'.

-------------
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:13
At least half of Love Beach ain't too shabby i.e. Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman has (mostly) excellent music albeit with crap lyrics while there's also those two little neglected gems re Canario (instrumental classical adaptation) and All I Want Is You (decent pop song)

By way of comparison, In the Hot Seat only has The Man in The Long Black Coat (good Dylan cover) and Give Me a Reason to Stay (decent MOR)

But yes, neither are worthy of those initials being affixed to the covers alas...

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

At least half of Love Beach ain't too shabby i.e. Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman has (mostly) excellent music albeit with crap lyrics while there's also those two little neglected gems re Canario (instrumental classical adaptation) and All I Want Is You (decent pop song)

By way of comparison, In the Hot Seat only has The Man in The Long Black Coat (good Dylan cover) and Give Me a Reason to Stay (decent MOR)

But yes, neither are worthy of those initials being affixed to the covers alas...

Those are not  the songs I prefer on  Hot Seat. Interestingly (maybe) Long Black Coat was meant to be part of a larger epic piece. Producer said no.  Theis album  is  not ELPs fault. It was the record company to blame. Same as Love Beach in  that respect.

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:21
Love Beets - as it has one good track! 

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:22
LOVE BEACH by a long shot.  Despite the cheese-ball cover photo, the album holds some decent late-70's Prog. As Aussie-Byrd said ;  the lyrics are the worst thing about it, and Palmer is very busy throughout.  My, how Sinfield slipped............why Greg didn't write the lyrics beats the hell out of me........

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

LOVE BEACH by a long shot.  Despite the cheese-ball cover photo, the album holds some decent late-70's Prog. As Aussie-Byrd said ;  the lyrics are the worst thing about it, and Palmer is very busy throughout.  My, how Sinfield slipped............why Greg didn't write the lyrics beats the hell out of me........

If you mean the Memoirs of  an  Officer lyrics it is hardly Sinfields fault. he had to write  them on demand section  at a time and  immediately  asthe song was recorded. He didn't do a terible job under the circs.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:27
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If you mean the Memoirs of  an  Officer lyrics it is hardly Sinfields fault. he had to write  them on demand section  at a time and  immediately  asthe song was recorded. He didn't do a terible job under the circs.
Nah - mainly the songs on side 1.  Memoirs is actually pretty darn good beginning to end, lyric-wise and music.  I'd say if this album had a more inspired cover, it wouldn't be bashed half as much as it is.........???

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:31

Nah - mainly the songs on side 1.  Memoirs is actually pretty darn good beginning to end, lyric-wise and music.  I'd say if this album had a more inspired cover, it wouldn't be bashed half as much as it is.........???

far as I remeber side 1 is Lake lyrics co wrote with  Sinfield

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:34

Just looked at the record - it's Sinfield's name at the end of each credit, bar Canario............but thinking about it, maybe Greg would've written worse lyrics..................

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:34

Just looked at the record - it's Sinfield's name at the end of each credit, bar Canario............but thinking about it, maybe Greg would've written worse lyrics..................

It is  very  possible.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:40

Love Beach was recorded at Compass Point - Nassau, Bahamas.  Their minds were focussed more on play than work........LOL

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:44

Love Beach was recorded at Compass Point - Nassau, Bahamas.  Their minds were focussed more on play than work........LOL

I know you are joking  but the reality was they never wanted to be there and couldn't wait to leave. Leaving Emerson to sort out the album production and mixing.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:48
In no particular order of toe curling wretchedness:

When I Finally marched from Sandhurst, I'd learned to put my fellow man firstEmbarrassed

Yes it's great now you're a full time nurse, but do be careful with the air-raids getting worseDead

I'm gonna love you like nobody ever loved you climb on my rocket and we'll fly.Ouch

It's time to disappear - with you, to where the skies are blue.Cry

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:52

I know you are joking  but the reality was they never wanted to be there and couldn't wait to leave. Leaving Emerson to sort out the album production and mixing.
I think I read that in one of the recent 'Prog' magazines - the others all bailed and left poor Keith to deal with it all.................(nice mates Angry).  I missed Emerson's Hammond though, but it was hard enough lugging all their gear, as it was (especially his Moog modular unit), across the Atlantic.......

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:55

When I Finally marched from Sandhurst, I'd learned to put my fellow man firstEmbarrassed

Yes it's great now you're a full time nurse, but do be careful with the air-raids getting worseDead

I'm gonna love you like nobody ever loved you climb on my rocket and we'll fly.Ouch

I'm gonna make love to ya', down on Love Beach............make all your dreeeeeams, come true. 
 Yeah, righty-oh, Mr Lake..................just sit on your throne and watch the lobsters in your bathroom..........

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 07:20
Whatever the lyrical shortcomings I have learned to rather like  Love Beach. Terribly disappointed at  first but with hindsight I rather like it. Not classic ELp by any means but...

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 07:27
I would include "All I Want is You" on an ELP best-of compilation.  
I've never heard Hot Seat, so no vote.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 07:36
^^ @ SnowDog -  It attracts a lot of flak from people who clearly have never heard it and continue to confuse the cover with the contents

BTW  you are spot on re the intolerable pressures and adverse circumstances the band endured (courtesy of Ahmet Ertegun of Atlantic) when recording Love Beach in the Bahamas.Thumbs Up

You've sold over 50 millions units worldwide for your fabulously wealthy employer, who then asks you to make a pop album to appease 4 spiky haired music jornalists in London ? get f.u.c.k.e.d Ahmet...(should have been the response)

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 10:36
Love Beach for me. Other than a couple of cheesy tracks I like it. Greg Lake sounds great vocally and the band is very tight.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Misomex777
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 10:51
Love Beach is better overall but ITHS has the best track of both albums "Hand of Truth"Cool

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 15:34
I don't think I've ever been able to listen to one of those albums in one shot. Not totally for the trash can, there are worse things around, but if I want some ELP I likely start with Trilogy

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: March 31 2013 at 15:37
Love Beach by an ocean.  I think that album really gets such a bad rap because of the cheesy cover.  No, it's not BSS or Tarkus or my personal favorite Trilogy, but it isn't that bad.  In the Hot Seat on the other hand should have been called Down the Toilet.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: April 01 2013 at 04:33

Before I started this poll, I wanted to 'rehabilitate' Love Beach's popularity, as it's the butt of so many jokes around here (I rarely see In The Hot Seat being used in that way.)

Now my work is done, look at the percentages:

18 [85.71%]
3 [14.29%]

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: April 01 2013 at 04:39
^ Maybe the first wrinkle we see in the mirror causes considerably more distress than the second Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2013 at 07:28
If a little more thought from the art department went into presenting the bloody thing, it may have saved it a lot of flack.  The cover shot is atrocious.  The back photo was quite mellow LOL. One of the worst covers of any record I own - even the 'Hawklords' album cover had a bit of intrigue to it.......not that it was much better..........

Date Posted: April 01 2013 at 07:34

If a little more thought from the art department went into presenting the bloody thing, it may have saved it a lot of flack.  The cover shot is atrocious.  The back photo was quite mellow LOL. One of the worst covers of any record I own - even the 'Hawklords' album cover had a bit of intrigue to it.......not that it was much better..........

WEll the whole band hate the  cover and Emerson lobbied Atlantic to change the album title.

-------------

Date Posted: April 01 2013 at 13:30

WEll the whole band hate the  cover and Emerson lobbied Atlantic to change the album title.
Not much anyone could do, given the impatience and rushing surrounding the whole everything of it....

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 01 2013 at 14:50
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Haven't heard `Hot Seat' for quite some time, but `Love Beach' isn't quite the dog it's made out to be. Palmer's drumming in particular is terrific!

I think the sexually suggestive lyrics on `Taste Of My Love' (ugh, even that title!) are the worst thing about it!

Taste Of My Love is a real stinker but the rest isn't that bad and would have stood up as an ok 'pop prog' album with a decent production like Genesis had with Duke.

Although Palmer is very good its actually Lake that impresses me most which accounts for why he got slaughtered by ELP fans for supposedly dragging the band in a commercial direction ( to suit his own agenda goes the faulty argument).
Palmer later stated that it was only worth using as a coaster. Emerson is perhaps more the issue as his keyboard work is totally uninteresting even on the Memoirs suite. The March is especially half hearted. Its best explained by his own admission that he was very deflated after the collapse of the Works orchestral tour and felt the band had run its course ( it had). However that 'nasty' Mr Ahmet Ertegun made them carry on as they didn't have wills of their own (apparently)

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: April 01 2013 at 16:06
I think it's best to remember that Peter Sinfield wrote the lyrics to Love Beach and he was headed
in a serious pop direction in his career after the 70's.   

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 00:06
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I think it's best to remember that Peter Sinfield wrote the lyrics to Love Beach and he was headed
in a serious pop direction in his career after the 70's.   
Yes - I noticed that he has some credits on a Bucks Fizz album I once saw (no, I DO NOT own it.....) - I think Mel Collins played sax on it too, but then he played with most everybody............
And there is a similar sound to Love Beach as to Duke.  I guess we all have more time for the first 5 ELP albums, but LB is still enjoyable.
The next poll should be Love Beach or Tormato.............LOL

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 01:24
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

n The Hot Seat...at lease it has a decent album cover  LOL
Tongue +1

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 01:35
In the Hot Seat because of the good studio version of Pictures in Dolby Surround.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 01:49
^ That, plus Hand of Truth is better than most things from Love Beach.

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 01:55
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

^ That, plus Hand of Truth is better than most things from Love Beach.

If it was for the original material, i would had gone with Love Beach for CANARIO, wjhich is brillisannt, if it would had been released in Trilogy or BSS, would be considered a top 10 by many people who doesn't know it exists.

But that version of Pictures is brilliant.

Iván 

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 01:57
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

In the Hot Seat because of the good studio version of Pictures in Dolby Surround.

Iván

There is a good version of The Sage and Great Gates Of Kiev but its let down badly by a truncated version of the Baba Yaga section which is easily my favourite thing about Pictures.

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 02:08
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Before I started this poll, I wanted to 'rehabilitate' Love Beach's popularity, as it's the butt of so many jokes around here (I rarely see In The Hot Seat being used in that way.)

Now my work is done, look at the percentages:

18 [85.71%]
3 [14.29%]
We're not out of the lurch just yet - I see the Anti-Love Beach wolf-pack is comin' a-runnin', frothing at the mouth and snarling - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not Love Beach - In The Hot S.h.i.t.!! - Hand of Truth (opening track in 9/8 time...) is the best thing on it, (and Piccies) - this is true, but overall, LB isn't a bad album at all.

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 02:16
Originally posted by Adams Bolero Adams Bolero wrote:

'Love Beach' is actually a good album if you ignore the cover but 'In The Hot Seat ' definitively deserves the title 'On the Toilet Seat'.

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 03:13
Love Beach is a stronger and more 'traditionally' progressive album than Invisible Touch................Ouch

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 15:38
The Dolby Surround version of Pictures was originally released on the box set called Return Of The Manticore which I already had in my collection when ITHS was released. It was of course a bonus track and an attempt to raise some interest in a very dull album. One track even featured a session keyboard player and a session drummer.Ouch

Date Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Dolby Surround version of Pictures was originally released on the box set called Return Of The Manticore which I already had in my collection when ITHS was released. It was of course a bonus track and an attempt to raise some interest in a very dull album. One track even featured a session keyboard player and a session drummer.Ouch

Yers I know, I got Return of the Manticore after ITHS.

But still that piece pays the album, and with a small investment, I paid 100 bucks in Lima for the box set and like 6 bucks in Santiago de Chile for ITHS

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: April 03 2013 at 11:53
Definitely Love Beach.  Ya, it has the gagworthy title track and  "Taste of My Love", but the sidelong "Memoirs..." more than makes up for that.  It's one of those "1 sided albums" that never got off side 2 on my turntable.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: April 03 2013 at 14:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Definitely Love Beach.  Ya, it has the gagworthy title track and  "Taste of My Love", but the sidelong "Memoirs..." more than makes up for that.  It's one of those "1 sided albums" that never got off side 2 on my turntable.

The title track is saved by some very nifty drumming imo. Side One has some highlights especially the girlie backing vocals on The Gambler and more nifty drumming on Canario. For You is an excellent song that deservedly found its way onto the Return of The Manticore box set.
I like Memoirs parts 1 and 2 but part 3 just meanders before the sudden melodramatic 'the telegram...'.Part 4 is just plain lazy. Just had to be a ' March'Sleepy

Date Posted: April 03 2013 at 23:52
Palmer is on fire on this album.  The Gambler has such a good 'feel' and a cool moog solo in the middle. Emmo's Yamaha GX1 sounds a bit cheesy, but well played.  Always a joy to hear a clavinet, and surprisingly some e-piano too. The piano parts on side 2 are exquisite. I suppose Greg was using his 8 string Alembic bass at this stage..? And again, Palmer really put in some serious effort to raise the quality to another level.  Shame about the cover.........
'For You' is excellent.  Canario is excellent.  I've been acquainted with this album since 1988 and apart from the cover, I've never thought ill of this album - I was disappointed there was no Hammond, though.

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 01:55

Palmer is on fire on this album.  The Gambler has such a good 'feel' and a cool moog solo in the middle. Emmo's Yamaha GX1 sounds a bit cheesy, but well played.  Always a joy to hear a clavinet, and surprisingly some e-piano too. The piano parts on side 2 are exquisite. I suppose Greg was using his 8 string Alembic bass at this stage..? And again, Palmer really put in some serious effort to raise the quality to another level.  Shame about the cover.........
'For You' is excellent.  Canario is excellent.  I've been acquainted with this album since 1988 and apart from the cover, I've never thought ill of this album - I was disappointed there was no Hammond, though.

Lack of Hammond is a real downer. Emerson wanted to try and create an orchestral feel with the keyboards (mainly the Yamaha GX1 as you mention) which he managed really well on Memoirs Part 1 but otherwise it sounds too 'thin' elsewhere for my taste. It was meant to be a radio friendly album so I guess the idea was to avoid too much of a big sound. However as I mentioned before Genesis created a radio friendly album in Duke that still felt like a 'big production to my ears.

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 01:59

Regarding Palmer that would have been the last album that he played with a single bass drum ( or maybe he did with PM? - not sure). With Asia he adopted 2 bass drums and deliberately changed his style of playing. Love Beach is virtually his last hurrah as a top drummer sadly.

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 06:56

Regarding Palmer that would have been the last album that he played with a single bass drum ( or maybe he did with PM? - not sure). With Asia he adopted 2 bass drums and deliberately changed his style of playing. Love Beach is virtually his last hurrah as a top drummer sadly.
The first time I heard Palmer with 2 bass drums was toward the end of 'Sole Survivor' - that first Asia album is another similar 'goodie' as Love Beach.  I'm really glad that there are many folks out there who appreciate LB.  It's possibly on par with 'Tormato'.

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:02

The first time I heard Palmer with 2 bass drums was toward the end of 'Sole Survivor' - that first Asia album is another similar 'goodie' as Love Beach.  I'm really glad that there are many folks out there who appreciate LB.  It's possibly on par with 'Tormato'.

I agree that Love Beach is nowhere near bad as its most vociferous critics would have us believe and yes, Carl's drumming is excellent throughout BUT:
Nothing like damning something with feint praise is there?Confused

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:17
Tormato is much better than  Love Beach. But disagree with Richard(as laways it seems) Palmer  continued to  be a top drummer.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:22

It could have been worse (just). They could have had the cover of the first Montrose album.

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 07:36
^at least they ain't in their pajamas in the Bahamas

-------------

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 11:45
Love Beach by a comfortable distance, as it has far more energy than ITHS (anagram for SH!T). I agree with those who point out how good Carl Palmer’s drumming sounds on this album, especially the title track. With a bigger production Love Beach could have become an AOR hit along the lines of Boston - after all it's not a million miles from what Asia had success with a few years later. But the title and cover torpedoed any chance of that and turned it into a joke.

God there are so many howlers on Taste of My Love, I’ve often thought it must be a mickey take:

“I want to hold you and enfold you beyond reason
I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight”

“Call up room service, order peaches and cream
I like my desert first - if you know what I mean.
Yeah, taste it, taste it, taste it”

And the thought of chubby Greg Lake singing those lyrics with his big Cheshire Cat grin makes it even funnier than Spinal Tap’s Big Bottom to these ears.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

God there are so many howlers on Taste of My Love, I’ve often thought it must be a mickey take:

And the thought of chubby Greg Lake singing those lyrics with his big Cheshire Cat grin makes it even funnier than Spinal Tap’s Big Bottom to these ears.

Great One LOL     

I used to have a .sig that read:

"Every day a little sadder, a little madder, someone get me a ladder" - and who says Greg Lake writes awful lyrics???

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 14:25

Great One LOL     

"Every day a little sadder, a little madder, someone get me a ladder" - and who says Greg Lake writes awful lyrics???

Its shows a sense of humour at least that they embarked on the 'Someone Get Me A Ladder' tour following Brain Salad Surgery's release.

Lake has written some excellent lyrics. Trilogy (the album and track) from that perspective stands up well. BSS was more 'out there' and Still You Turn Me One is fine if taken in the context of the whole album 

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 14:32

Tormato is much better than  Love Beach. But disagree with Richard(as laways it seems) Palmer  continued to  be a top drummer.

By 'top drummer' I mean the very highest echelons. Palmer won loads of drumming awards in the seventies. In the eighties he turned himself into a proficient but  ordinary AOR drummer imo.

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 14:33

By 'top drummer' I mean the very highest echelons. Palmer won loads of drumming awards in the seventies. In the eighties he turned himself into a proficient but  ordinary AOR drummer imo.

Not ordinary imo

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 14:36

Not ordinary imo
that was as fast a response as a Carl Palmer drum roll (circa 1973Wink)

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 15:03

Great One LOL     

Its shows a sense of humour at least that they embarked on the 'Someone Get Me A Ladder' tour following Brain Salad Surgery's release.

Lake has written some excellent lyrics. Trilogy (the album and track) from that perspective stands up well. BSS was more 'out there' and Still You Turn Me One is fine if taken in the context of the whole album 

I've never heard that before...did they actually refer to it as the "Someone get me a ladder tour"?  I could see Keith or Carl saying that (they're both very funny guys) but Greg just seems a bit too serious to go along with it.  Although, there is a funny story about the original King Crimson.  When Fripp (who had the popular Mitch Mitchell, Eric Clapton, late 60's white guy afro) told the other members of Crimso he was going to sit on a stool to play, Greg Lake said something like, "you can't do that, you'll look like a giant mushroom".

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 15:12

I love ELP and Yes but am much more likely to listen to Love Beach than Tormato. Aside from its inherent comedy value Love Beach is also more dynamic and energetic. It's hard to believe Tormato was released just a year after the brilliant Going for the One. The drumming sounds like damp cardboard boxes, Wakeman was experimenting with a range of ghastly keyboard sounds and Howe had lost his guitar mojo. The only tracks that work for me are the ballady ones Onward and Madrigal

Love Beach was also the last album where Palmer's drumming had a "wow" factor, and his work with Asia definitely lacks his earlier dynamism. I think he continued to be a very good drummer but the true magic was gone. Anyway, here's a reminder of what made CP (and ELP) so awesome.

-------------

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 15:21
He still had and has the wow factor in  Asia and Three.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 15:39

Love Beach was also the last album where Palmer's drumming had a "wow" factor, and his work with Asia definitely lacks his earlier dynamism. I think he continued to be a very good drummer but the true magic was gone. Anyway, here's a reminder of what made CP (and ELP) so awesome.
Great youtube clip with ELP at the height of their magic.  This is what frustrated me so much about Asia.  My fave bassist (Wetton) with my 2nd fave drummer (CP), Steve Howe, and Geoff Downes and they threw all that prog mojo away to do radio friendly rubbish like "Heat of the Moment".  Oh well, I guess even prog superstars gotta eat!

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 15:39

Great One LOL     

I've never heard that before...did they actually refer to it as the "Someone get me a ladder tour"?  I could see Keith or Carl saying that (they're both very funny guys) but Greg just seems a bit too serious to go along with it.  Although, there is a funny story about the original King Crimson.  When Fripp (who had the popular Mitch Mitchell, Eric Clapton, late 60's white guy afro) told the other members of Crimso he was going to sit on a stool to play, Greg Lake said something like, "you can't do that, you'll look like a giant mushroom".
There was a "Get Me A ladder Tour" which was an European  tour before the release of BSS and then a "Brain Salad Surgery Tour" from  which the live album was taken.

-------------

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 17:02

When Fripp (who had the popular Mitch Mitchell, Eric Clapton, late 60's white guy afro) told the other members of Crimso he was going to sit on a stool to play, Greg Lake said something like, "you can't do that, you'll look like a giant mushroom".

LOLI''ve heard a recording of Fripp telling that story. It has to be done with the Dorset accents for maximum comic effect!

-------------

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 17:12

When Fripp (who had the popular Mitch Mitchell, Eric Clapton, late 60's white guy afro) told the other members of Crimso he was going to sit on a stool to play, Greg Lake said something like, "you can't do that, you'll look like a giant mushroom".

LOLI''ve heard a recording of Fripp telling that story. It has to be done with the Dorset accents for maximum comic effect!

Ya, I think I read it one of his online journal postings...I would've loved to have been there to see RF's reaction LOL

-------------

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: April 04 2013 at 17:46

I love ELP and Yes but am much more likely to listen to Love Beach than Tormato. Aside from its inherent comedy value Love Beach is also more dynamic and energetic. It's hard to believe Tormato was released just a year after the brilliant Going for the One. The drumming sounds like damp cardboard boxes, Wakeman was experimenting with a range of ghastly keyboard sounds and Howe had lost his guitar mojo. The only tracks that work for me are the ballady ones Onward and Madrigal

Carl Palmer is still a good drummer if you listen to any of Asia's live albums. In the studio is something else where the drummer has maybe one fourth or one fifth of the say as to what goes down on the album. Also, my feelings about Love Beach is that it is less than half of a decent album. Tormato however is maybe a bit flawed and a little under produced, but I still prefer it to GFTO which is a bit over produced. Any of the live versions of Awaken are vastly superior to the studio version. I don't agree that Howe has lost his guitar mojo on Tormato as I really like the guitar parts. I think the faults more lie with Wakeman's keyboard parts and I question whether Wakeman was really interested in the project (having left the band again when the album was completed). I think its more the band that has lost its mojo for producing top notch studio albums after Relayer.

Date Posted: April 05 2013 at 02:01

most of that 3 album is dreadfull AOR/POP excepting Desda La Vida , a good track but nowhere near as good as classic ELP and the playing sounding laboured to my ears (but I like the lyrics and atmosphere of it)

Asia's debut album did have some proggy stuff before they decided to go full AOR on Alpha although Wildest Dreams is the only track with the supposed 'wow factor' drumming wise that I can hear. Sole Survivor is also a good track and Palmer is very solid but thats all. What else?

Date Posted: April 05 2013 at 02:06

For me White hit his peak on Tormato and Drama. 

anyway that clip of Palmer is amazing. The version of Pictures that ELP were playing around that time (1973-4) was amazing especially the Baba Yaga section as per that clip. Palmer loses his drumsticks at one point but hardly breaks stride.  I remember him being interviewed a few years later and saying that he used to come out of ELP gigs totally knackered. That's exactly how it should beCool

Date Posted: April 05 2013 at 02:37

For me White hit his peak on Tormato and Drama. 

anyway that clip of Palmer is amazing. The version of Pictures that ELP were playing around that time (1973-4) was amazing especially the Baba Yaga section as per that clip. Palmer loses his drumsticks at one point but hardly breaks stride.  I remember him being interviewed a few years later and saying that he used to come out of ELP gigs totally knackered. That's exactly how it should beCool

Funny how people can hear things so differently! I've never liked the drum sound on Tormato, though Drama sounds better and is a much better album IMO. I think White was at his peak on Yessongs and Relayer.

There was an ELP interview from 74 where the critic Lester Bangs called Palmer's drumming style "automaton frenzy". A good description (although Bangs was probably being a bit facetious).

-------------

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: April 05 2013 at 21:16
(who would've thought Love Beach would get the most votes in two separate polls?)

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2013 at 22:26
I think that most people who really hate this album won't even bother with this poll........... we won't really get a genuine percentage from greater perspective.........
..............which also reminds me of the Richard Wright  80's project 'ZEE' - if one focusses on the finer points, it's not a bad album at all.  The weaker elements can not be ignored, but it's generally a sign of the times.  They produce what's required to survive, albeit, with mixed results.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 03:17
My votes goes to Love Beach because ITHS only has one good track, "The Hand Of Truth"  (plus, you can rearrange 'ITHS' into another word...!!!).

most of that 3 album is dreadfull AOR/POP excepting Desda La Vida , a good track but nowhere near as good as classic ELP and the playing sounding laboured to my ears (but I like the lyrics and atmosphere of it)

Not only is it dreadful AOR "pap" ("Yeahhh, I'm talkin' bout you / I'm talkin' bout me"), Keith's sounds were the dullest ever, the epitome of drab '80s digital electronics (as referenced in that other thread).

(...much to the same effect when Geddy used the most dreadful "popcorny" digital patch in lieu of the dense synth strings on "Distant Early Warning" when they played it during the Roll The Bones tour...)

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 03:36

Great youtube clip with ELP at the height of their magic.  This is what frustrated me so much about Asia.  My fave bassist (Wetton) with my 2nd fave drummer (CP), Steve Howe, and Geoff Downes and they threw all that prog mojo away to do radio friendly rubbish like "Heat of the Moment".  Oh well, I guess even prog superstars gotta eat!

Oh come on now, as much as I endorse your sentiments about such a squandering of talent, it was damn catchy
admit it?

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 03:46

[QUOTE=The.Crimson.King][QUOTE=Cactus Choir]

Great One LOL     

You know, that line "every day a little sadder........" I always perceived the 'ladder' part was Greg calling for somebody to bring him something to climb up on to get out of the s.h.i.t. LOL - maybe I'm wrong........Confused

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 04:55

Asia's debut album did have some proggy stuff before they decided to go full AOR on Alpha although Wildest Dreams is the only track with the supposed 'wow factor' drumming wise that I can hear. Sole Survivor is also a good track and Palmer is very solid but thats all. What else?

We will never agree Richard, ever. I happen to regard Three's album very highly. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 05:34

We will never agree Richard, ever. I happen to regard Three's album very highly. 
Sorry to say, but who the heck is Robert Berry when he's at home ??..................LOL Where did they find him ??  I do not like his prescence on that album..........................

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 05:57

Sorry to say, but who the heck is Robert Berry when he's at home ??..................LOL Where did they find him ??  I do not like his prescence on that album..........................

Palmer's manager suggested the collaboration.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:08

What was Berry's pedigree ??  Did he previously play with anybody significant ???

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:13

What was Berry's pedigree ??  Did he previously play with anybody significant ???

No but he was a multi instrumentalist with solo albums. He was in a band called Hush too.

-------------

Posted By: Terra Australis
Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:19
For such a derided album 'Love Beach' sure gets a lot of attention here!

-------------
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://allomerus.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:23
Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

What? In a poll specifically about it? I wonder why...

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:27

The fact that it is the poll in the first place!

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:29

The fact that it is the poll in the first place!

Hmmm. Not sure I'm with you. Do you mean this one poll? Are you including all past polls? (if there are any)

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:33
I guess it just shows how disappointed people are with it. I often find discussions based on how bad it is. This poll is another example of this. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 06:42

I guess it just shows how disappointed people are with it. I often find discussions based on how bad it is. This poll is another example of this. 

If anything this poll is revealing how much people like it.

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 10:05

Exactly why I started the poll.  Why no avalanche of ITHS jokes?

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 12:55

Oh come on now, as much as I endorse your sentiments about such a squandering of talent, it was damn catchy
admit it?

Ya, it was catchy, but also embarrassing at the same time.  I think they should have gone incognito and disguised themselves for the music videos  Cool

-------------

Date Posted: April 06 2013 at 14:10
Just a fact that many folks can't grasp - 'Love Beach is NOT the dog it's made out to be'...............

Date Posted: April 07 2013 at 03:02

Just a fact that many folks can't grasp - 'Love Beach is NOT the dog it's made out to be'...............

a fair summation would be it has some good moments but shows a band in decline

its gets a bad rap because:

a) the cover
b) it was a 'contractural obligation album'
c) the band themselves didn't like it

that's plenty of reasons why it has such a bad reputation but for me its an 'ELP album'. I can recognise it as ELP and if they hadn't made it we would always wonder 'what if?'.

Date Posted: April 07 2013 at 03:51

a fair summation would be it has some good moments but shows a band in decline

its gets a bad rap because:

a) the cover
b) it was a 'contractural obligation album'
c) the band themselves didn't like it

that's plenty of reasons why it has such a bad reputation but for me its an 'ELP album'. I can recognise it as ELP and if they hadn't made it we would always wonder 'what if?'.
Fair cop !!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 06:54

LOL

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 08:03

What was Berry's pedigree ??  Did he previously play with anybody significant ???[/QUOTE]

No but he was a multi instrumentalist with solo albums. He was in a band called Hush too.
[/QUOTE]
I have always thought of Berry as Trevor Rabin or Billy Sherwood: a younger guy who had been exposed to classic prog and liked it but gave up following its true values and just hoped that they could use its foundations and fanbase to create a new, mainstream oriented success story, they teamed up with the broken dinosaurs to achieve their goal in an easier way, shortcutting half of the process (possibly a respectable vision but they failed, not achieving neither mainstream success not recognition by the prog fans).
At any rate we can not blame them, they were a product of their time, Asia or GTR tried the same without being pulled by a young guy.

Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 13:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I have always thought of Berry as Trevor Rabin or Billy Sherwood: a younger guy who had been exposed to classic prog and liked it but gave up following its true values and just hoped that they could use its foundations and fanbase to create a new, mainstream oriented success story, they teamed up with the broken dinosaurs to achieve their goal in an easier way, shortcutting half of the process (possibly a respectable vision but they failed, not achieving neither mainstream success not recognition by the prog fans).
At any rate we can not blame them, they were a product of their time, Asia or GTR tried the same without being pulled by a young guy.
Good overview of Bob Berry.  I don't know him personally but am from the same area and recall that his family owned "Berry Piano and Organ" in the 60's-70's in San Jose.  In 1978 I was playing in a local prog band and we all went to see the band he was in, "Hush" play a free show from the parking lot of "The Wherehouse" record store in Mountain View.  It was pretty pedestrian music with a bit of prog tossed in.  I remember we were jealous because they had great gear and a PA  LOL 

In May 1993 Steve Hackett came to a local club called "The Cabaret" and the opening band was billed as, "Bob Berry and Friends Unplugged" or something.  I thought they were pretty awful and remember them doing a cover of "Fanfare for the Common Man" that was at least 10 minutes too long.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 13:31
They are both best forgotten..........

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: April 08 2013 at 13:44
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Exactly why I started the poll.  Why no avalanche of ITHS jokes?
What's ITHS? http://www.google.com/search?q=google&aq=f&oq=go&aqs=chrome.0.59j57j60l3j0.473j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=what+is+iths&oq=what+is+iths&gs_l=serp.3..0i13l4.3385.5256.0.7166.12.10.0.2.2.0.118.820.9j1.10.0...0.0...1c.1.8.psy-ab.6YRJf-WeytI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.cGE&fp=4aca86295351bac5&biw=1281&bih=901" rel="nofollow - This is what Google yielded.

Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 03:27
In The Hot Seat = ITHS !!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk