Print Page | Close Window

S. Wilson confirms PT on "indefinite hiatus"

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93062
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 20:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: S. Wilson confirms PT on "indefinite hiatus"
Posted By: TheProgtologist
Subject: S. Wilson confirms PT on "indefinite hiatus"
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:00
Sounds like Steven doesn't plan on releasing any Porcupine Tree albums any time soon.Cry

From Prog Magazine:

Steven Wilson has confirmed that Porcupine Tree are on indefinite hiatus while he concentrates on his solo career.

He admits he doesn’t have time to pursue all the projects he’d like, and so he’s had to make a choice on which ones matter most to him.

And for now, it’s his latest album  http://www.progrockmag.com/news/steven-wilson-tour-adds-more-uk-dates/" rel="nofollow - Wilson tells  http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/04/17/i-dont-have-time-in-my-life-to-do-that-steven-wilson-on-his-departures-from-blackfield-porcupine-tree/" rel="nofollow - Something Else Reviews : “Blackfield has made a new record, though I’m not as involved with it as much as I once was.

“Aviv, my partner in Blackfield, wrote all of the songs, but I helped him to produce and record, and I sang on a few songs. They have some great guest singers, so Blackfield is certainly moving forward. The last thing I want to be doing is holding other people back.”

But he describes Porcupine Tree’s position as “slightly more complex,” explaining: “It can’t really happen without me instigating it, being the main writer and director.

“I don’t have time in my life to do that and do what I’m doing now. I guess I have made the decision, right now, to concentrate on the solo career.

“But that’s not to say the band has broken up or anything like that. It’s always conceivable that we could get back together in a year or five years, or 10 years. I really can’t say – there are no plans at the moment.”

Wilson recently told Prog of The Raven That Refused To Sing: “It’s still a solo album – but it’s become a band in its own right, and because of that, it hopefully has more of a sense of cohesion.”

Porcupine Tree’s last release was live album  http://www.progrockmag.com/news/porcupine-tree-offer-dislocated-day-live/" rel="nofollow - http://www.progrockmag.com/news/porcupine-tree-on-hold-steven-wilson-confirms/" rel="nofollow - http://www.progrockmag.com/news/porcupine-tree-on-hold-steven-wilson-confirms/

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:11
Cry
Talk about bad news...

I really enjoy The Raven... but PT on hold ?  This is the band that put him on the map, for crying out loud !

When you can't (or won't) make the time for something, usually, it's because it doesn't matter that much to you anymore. 

It’s always conceivable that we could get back together in a year or five years, or 10 years.

PT fans, the dreaded day has come.  Wilson is no longer into PT, and is moving on.
Indefinite hiatus is another way of saying goodbye folks. Other PT members will go on with their musical careers, and IF Wilson ever wants to get the band back together, being the talented musicians they are, they'll be too busy to reform and will have moved on themselves.

Sad day indeed... I knew the sh*tty weather announced something sad !

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:20
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Cry
Talk about bad news...

I really enjoy The Raven... but PT on hold ?  This is the band that put him on the map, for crying out loud !

When you can't (or won't) make the time for something, usually, it's because it doesn't matter that much to you anymore. 

It’s always conceivable that we could get back together in a year or five years, or 10 years.

PT fans, the dreaded day has come.  Wilson is no longer into PT, and is moving on.
Indefinite hiatus is another way of saying goodbye folks. Other PT members will go on with their musical careers, and IF Wilson ever wants to get the band back together, being the talented musicians they are, they'll be too busy to reform and will have moved on themselves.

Not so downhearted about it, frankly. PT always sounded better to me as a solo project rather than as a band (the exception being the brilliant Stupid Dream). Wilson's solo work should suffice for me (loved Insurgentes and am a bit indifferent to GfD, but at least it wasn't as bad as In Absentia, parts of Deadwing or the whole of The Incident. Still haven't heard Raven...).

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:23
Maybe a break will do them some good. I for one was not impressed by the last album. In fact, IMO, the last 3 albums had a sameness to them musically. They sounded like they were going through the motions.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:24
Sorry, I meant the last 2 albums. I loved Deadwing.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 12:37
One yar ago Porcupine Tree break up news would look like a catastrophe, but not now, after 'Get All You Deserve' live album and 'the Raven', I can say that Steven Wilson just found a new musical vehicle, that's all. He's still here, his music is as great as always, and he's not going to leave.

Anyway, don't forget that Porcupine Tree IS Steven Wilson, that's just one of his aliases Wink

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 13:35
This isn't news. We've known this basically since Grace For Drowning. Wilson's official statement is "It will come back, just not right now".

I would be annoyed, but Raven was as good as any PT release, so I'm fine with whatever.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 13:59
Indeed, Raven was so good, as well as Grace for Drowning, that I don't care so much about Porcupine Tree.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 18 2013 at 16:05
I said this in another thread of the same topic

He is making better music than he was in PT, so why complain? He said they aren't broken up, just simply putting out music himself. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: MustardSea
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 07:04
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Cry
Talk about bad news...

Oh come on, you sound as if the end of the world has come. He explicitly said that PT is NOT breaking up but on hiatus (which is something he should have done after FOABP instead of releasing the really uninspired and overblown "The Incident")
SW is going to write and release music until he dies and I'm glad he's trying something new instead of re-hashing a proofed and tested formula (as he tried with "The Incident" and failed - of course this is only my opinion - I know there are some folks round here who LOVE that album.. to each his own ;D )

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8335" rel="nofollow - Kanoi on PA
http://kanoi.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - kanoi.bandcamp.com

Posted By: MJAben
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 07:44
I would be more upset by this, but for me In Absentia was the last PT album I absolutely loved and since then it's been in a downhill motion for me. On the other hand, I have been blown away by Steven Wilsons two latest solo albums so as long as he continues with that I'm happy.

-------------
The anteater is the worlds fastest land mammal.

Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 08:19
While I agree that The Incident is far from being PT's best album, I for one really enjoyed FOABP and In Absentia, and moments of Deadwing. I REALLY love The Raven and I don't mind him pursuing his solo career, but seriously, No PT album for the foreseeable future just makes me sad. Sure, I was being a bit melodramatic with my opening statement LOL, but the PT recipe and elements just did it for me.

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:32
Do I understand this correctly, this discussion turned into another The Incident-bashing thread?

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Cthulhu42
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:46
If his solo work continues to be as good as Raven was, then I have no problems with this.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:55
I totally enjoy all PT music, start to finish (uhhh last release I menat...) and the solo material is excellent as well. What I enjoy about PT is Gavin's drumming and the others...SW to me is just another musician in the band, albeit a very good one.
I don't really care for Gavin's o5Ric stuff......his OSI work is very good. I guess I just prefer him in PT, that is where I think he shines most.
Do I want them to continue, absolutely!!!! but I am enjoying the SW solo material right now......

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:05
Bad move Steve.  Even The Incident is far better than your solo stuff.

I have all 3 recent SW releases including the live DVD...and will likely get rid of it eventually.  He really benefits alot from his PT cohorts imo. 

-------------

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:45
I think this is a case where mr. Wilson was able to come to an agreement with the other bandmates in PT to pursue other music endeavors. I say that Wilson is lucky he has other bandmates that are open and understanding to the notion of a hiatus. This is quite indicative to the Mike Portnoy situation where he wanted DT to take a 5 year hiatus, so he could go f**k around with Avenged Sevenfold and Transatlantic and of course the other DT members were like, not a freakin chance!! 5 years is too long! I'm glad they felt that way, but with PT it is different where Steven Wilson is not easily replaceable. He is PT! In Dream Theater MP was not the true soul of DT. He was replaceable, so that is that. I hope Wilson reproduces more classic albums in 5.1mix while having some more time being freed up being away from PT.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 15:10
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Do I understand this correctly, this discussion turned into another The Incident-bashing thread?
No, not at all, I was only stating it was not their best work, but in no way is it bad !  A lot of great songs on there, my faves being Time Flies, Circle of Manias, the title track and Bonnie the Cat.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 16:27
No surprises really. But I guess its good to have It finally stated.

The time off will probably good them some good (if they ever come back that is).

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: April 19 2013 at 18:13
I guess sooner or later, Porcupine Tree must come back. Even if it takes 20 years.

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 12:42
It would be sad if Porcupine Tree never recorded again as the chemistry between the players in that band really worked. I'm sure the day will come when they do something again. For now I'm very happy with The Raven... easily the best of his solo work.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 12:50
Hi,

Of the things I have heard by Steven on his own, they are nice, but I am not impressed and I think that in many ways he has become too "famous" and "full of himself" in order to be able to work withint a group atmosphere, and instead he feels he wants to "tell people" what to do, instead of allowing them to play it and add to the piece.

There is, of course, nothing ... absolutely nothing! ... wrong with his decision, and he has a right to make it ... specially when the whole thing was him in the first place, in the garage ... and maybe he is finding that there are things he wants to try and do himself ... that sends him back to his "roots" in the early days ... and that is fine and ok in my book.

But I will miss PT a lot more than I will miss Steven ... maybe its the words and the wording ... I am not sure ... but ... hey ... we all change wives and girlfriends now and then ... so what's the problem?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 17:23
I consider PTs last albums (The Incident and Fear of a Blank Planet) as Wilson's creative apex. I wish he continues to work especially with Barbieri - their chemistry is something special. His solo work starting to remind me stiff attempts of re-creating 70s prog, because of overusing vintage instruments (keyboards). It is quite common disease of new prog with following typical signs: mellotrons have to be everywhere, wind instruments also, he is forcing himself to odd signatures and breaks, which sound fabricated, not natural... Wilson is closer than ever to Dream Theater and The Flower Kings kind of prog - bands which he always heavily criticized. And he's even going to attend a festival which has "prog" in its name:) Despite that, his solo music is still very good and Raven has especially awesome technical quality, sometimes still well blended with Wilson's typical melancholy.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 19:16
The Raven That Refused To Sing is a fantastic Program album, in my opinion the best Prog album of the last 40 years...

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

I consider PTs last albums (The Incident and Fear of a Blank Planet) as Wilson's creative apex. I wish he continues to work especially with Barbieri - their chemistry is something special. His solo work starting to remind me stiff attempts of re-creating 70s prog, because of overusing vintage instruments (keyboards). It is quite common disease of new prog with following typical signs: mellotrons have to be everywhere, wind instruments also, he is forcing himself to odd signatures and breaks, which sound fabricated, not natural... Wilson is closer than ever to Dream Theater and The Flower Kings kind of prog - bands which he always heavily criticized. And he's even going to attend a festival which has "prog" in its name:) Despite that, his solo music is still very good and Raven has especially awesome technical quality, sometimes still well blended with Wilson's typical melancholy.

I agree with you Stewe, especially your first two sentences....

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:51
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Sorry, I meant the last 2 albums. I loved Deadwing.

I agree wholeheartedly

In Absentia and Deadwing were solid 5 star albums whereas the last two in my reckoning just 4 stars. Still very high standard but Steven has got those 5 stars back with his last 2 solo albums. PT had become too restrictive in my view to accommodate what has now become a broader (if slightly retro) vision.. 

This is not bad news imo.

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 13:32
Well, from my perspective, Porcupine Tree had become quite formulaic on their last 3 albums (which does not mean I didn't like them or they were not good........all 3 had much that I like).  His last 2 solo albums are far and away better than any of those 3 albums, though I would say I prefer most of the earlier PTree stuff to them, but only by a bit.

See, I've never felt that Wilson was really all that original or groundbreaking in anything he's ever done, so it's not really hard for me to appreciate this "new" direction he's taken (as others have pointed out, it's hardly new at all, though somewhat new for him).

I'm content with him producing quality solo stuff like the last two albums, and I think that PTree very badly needed a break, as the repetition was starting to get old.  My feeling is that a few years hiatus will allow them to come back, creative batteries recharged, and explore new directions, much as they did with Lightbulb Sun/Stupid Dream, and then again with In Absentia.  I think it will be good for them, and I do hope they will return in the not too distant future.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 14:28
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

The Raven That Refused To Sing is a fantastic Program album, in my opinion the best Prog album of the last 40 years...

Nice.......

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 26 2013 at 15:29
I've enjoyed all his projects including PT, which was my introduction to Steven.  If PT is toast, it doesn't really bother me all that much. Big smile

I'm really liking the Raven.  He's refining themes he's explored before.  No real new ground and  that's fine with me, it's a nice album.  I got Storm Corrosion recently.  That's pretty cool, too.

I suppose if I were to offer criticism, it would be that I am hearing a bit of rehash going on.  But considering the volume of work he's put out, it's not all that surprising.

I'm still a little weirded out that The Incident arrived six days before the house flooded out.  That music will forever mark that time in my life.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Droidmaster
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 14:58
I don't really care that much. I'm a jazz musician as well as a classical musician who loves this thing we call progressive music simply for what it is-something for the art's sake. Sure it would be great to hear a new and fresh PT album with the other full members:Colin, Gavin , Richard and I'm not sure if he's a fullblown member John W. I know Steven was the driving force behind PT, but these guys made what is PT today collectively. Anything by any of these incredible musicians is something to savor. I would personally like to hear a new and extremely creepy Bass Communion album- I try to vary my tastes for the moments of my life-I eat all vegetables, though I don't care that much for Brussels sprouts-I still eat them because I know they're healthy, and add a little bacon and onions to those sprouts and you've got something- OK now I'm really going off on a Tangent.

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 15:20
I would much prefer he stick with either PT or one of his other projects. I haven't really been a big fan of any of his solo work (at least the stuff under his name). I think he's just trying to re-hash a lot of 70s prog, albeit with a more modern-produced sound. I know a lot of people here eat that kind of stuff up, and I used to as well. But I've branched out of prog rock a ton in the last 2-3 years, and I'm kind of at the point where it annoys me when artists re-create the same album over and over again or just rehash classic bands from previous decades/generations.

This is one of my favorite online reviews, and he pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject and album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP7tl9-luZE" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP7tl9-luZE

For some reason, it won't let me embed the video directly into my post right now. Oh well.

-------------

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 16:08
I like both SW solo stuff and the last few PT albums, but his solo albums are (to me) severely lacking in the personell department. Yes, yes, I know, but I just feel that way.

I would have thought that as it's all basically SW music, I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between PT and Wilson's solo work. But I've noticed that SW's solo albums miss the presence of particularly Colin Edwin and Gavin Harrison, who both have their own entirely unique and energy driven style. I find their replacements to be inadequate.

So, even if not under the PT monker, Wilson should have retained those two players. His solo albums would have been almost unbeatable. It's a shame, they could have been even so much better with the proper players.

It's quite astonishing how much of a difference the non presence of CE and GH seems to make. I would never have thunk it.

Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 16:27
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I like both SW solo stuff and the last few PT albums, but his solo albums are (to me) severely lacking in the personell department. Yes, yes, I know, but I just feel that way.

I would have thought that as it's all basically SW music, I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between PT and Wilson's solo work. But I've noticed that SW's solo albums miss the presence of particularly Colin Edwin and Gavin Harrison, who both have their own entirely unique and energy driven style. I find their replacements to be inadequate.

So, even if not under the PT monker, Wilson should have retained those two players. His solo albums would have been almost unbeatable. It's a shame, they could have been even so much better with the proper players.

It's quite astonishing how much of a difference the non presence of CE and GH seems to make. I would never have thunk it.

Nick Beggs and Marco Minnemann are more than adequate replacements imo Minnemann is an incredibly engertic and talented drummer. I think he opens up different avenues. Beggs has worked with Hackett and I don't find he's lacking anything compared to Edwin. All four are excellent players.

Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 23:31
Granted, and reading the comments here, I seem to stand pretty much alone with my view, which is, of course, just that: my own opinion. No offence to anyone.

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 01:30
There will always be different opinions on grounds of taste obviously but often people look for some objective reason as to why they don't like something. Porcupine Tree had evolved over the years as a proper band which ironically posed some problems for Steven. Does he write for the band or for himself? Now he is back writing for himself which I see as inherently more creative. I think he wanted to go a bit more retro as evidenced by Time Flies and needed a different line up to fully realise it. This may not please some but then being an 'artist' is not necessarily about trying to please people.

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 02:49

I think I was a little unclear, sorry. I'm a SW/PT fan.

I find that SW's solo albums are just as good as the PT albums, but with the 'right' personnel they could have been even better.

As for his solo material being so much different; sorry, I don't really hear that. When you hear something by SW, you just know it's him (well apart from some of his side projects).

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 17:49
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I think I was a little unclear, sorry. I'm a SW/PT fan.

I find that SW's solo albums are just as good as the PT albums, but with the 'right' personnel they could have been even better.

As for his solo material being so much different; sorry, I don't really hear that. When you hear something by SW, you just know it's him (well apart from some of his side projects).

I think he explores jazz and ambient styles much more as a solo artist. I love In Absentia but that seems much more straightforward heavy prog to my ears as does Deadwing. Very defintely different imo even if the artist is recognisable.

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 20:10
I do find the "Steven Wilson" sound very much evident whether he is doing a Porcupine Tree or a solo album, but somehow, it doesn't bother me so much as with other artists... at least not yet (for the last 2 Dream Theater albums I did find it tiresome how formulaic they were sounding already). As for The Raven, I'm really enjoying it very much... I guess I'm liking it better than the PT albums I have. Plus, I guess Steven really couldn't pulled the Raven with Porcupine Tree, I guess they didn't have the chops to play it (except Gavin Harrison, I guess), he even got another guitar player instead of himself.

Posted By: sturoc
Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 17:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Of the things I have heard by Steven on his own, they are nice, but I am not impressed and I think that in many ways he has become too "famous" and "full of himself" in order to be able to work within a group atmosphere, and instead he feels he wants to "tell people" what to do, instead of allowing them to play it and add to the piece.

There is, of course, nothing ... absolutely nothing! ... wrong with his decision, and he has a right to make it ... specially when the whole thing was him in the first place, in the garage ... and maybe he is finding that there are things he wants to try and do himself ... that sends him back to his "roots" in the early days ... and that is fine and ok in my book.

But I will miss PT a lot more than I will miss Steven ... maybe its the words and the wording ... I am not sure ... but ... hey ... we all change wives and girlfriends now and then ... so what's the problem?

I agree Moshkito.
I like PT as well, it was different when it came out.  Found it very dark at times a well.
I can't listen to it all the time or put it on at any point in the day. i,e It has it's time and place.

After researching SW a bit. I find he is driven but also an autocracy.
Then I got a call from a good friend of mine in Los Angeles
He happened to be in the studio control room at East West one day while Parsons and SW were there. He felt that AP was getting a little flustered that afternoon as to why he was even there, since SW was micro managing all the time. This was towards the end of the sessions.
I personally do not like being in group situations where I play someone else's  project during which to be told what/ how/ when  to play note for note. If hired for a session I treat it more like a  job: get in -get out -play what they want to hear. But in group situ  ? NO. It's a democratic creative process.

As for the fans etc I think alot of people jump on the bandwagon, become very enthusiastic of their new musical god and then envelop them to almost obsession like level where when the artist does something not to their liking it's as if said artist snubbed them directly personally.

People, you must put yourselves in the artist position. After a time one must move forward in music, life, on and on. If it doesn't jive with your expectations well tough.
Most musicians do not write with the constant mindset of  " I hope the fans will like this ..." or "we'll scrap this song cause the fans will hate it"
Cherish what they gave you and move on. No need to bash, etc them.

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 22:05
Originally posted by sturoc sturoc wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Of the things I have heard by Steven on his own, they are nice, but I am not impressed and I think that in many ways he has become too "famous" and "full of himself" in order to be able to work within a group atmosphere, and instead he feels he wants to "tell people" what to do, instead of allowing them to play it and add to the piece.

I agree Moshkito.I like PT as well, it was different when it came out.  Found it very dark at times a well.I can't listen to it all the time or put it on at any point in the day. i,e It has it's time and place.After researching SW a bit. I find he is driven but also an autocracy. Then I got a call from a good friend of mine in Los AngelesHe happened to be in the studio control room at East West one day while Parsons and SW were there. He felt that AP was getting a little flustered that afternoon as to why he was even there, since SW was micro managing all the time. This was towards the end of the sessions.I personally do not like being in group situations where I play someone else's  project during which to be told what/ how/ when  to play note for note. If hired for a session I treat it more like a  job: get in -get out -play what they want to hear. But in group situ  ? NO. It's a democratic creative process.As for the fans etc I think alot of people jump on the bandwagon, become very enthusiastic of their new musical god and then envelop them to almost obsession like level where when the artist does something not to their liking it's as if said artist snubbed them directly personally.People, you must put yourselves in the artist position. After a time one must move forward in music, life, on and on. If it doesn't jive with your expectations well tough. Most musicians do not write with the constant mindset of  " I hope the fans will like this ..." or "we'll scrap this song cause the fans will hate it"Cherish what they gave you and move on. No need to bash, etc them.

This reminded me of an interview I read from Jon Carin; since he has played with both Gilmour led Pink Floyd, and Waters as a solo performer, he was asked about the diferences of playing with both artists. What I particularly remember was that Waters was very contoling and perfectionist, and he wanted things played exactly as he wanted. On the other side, he said that if Gilmour picked you to play with him, it's because he trusts you as a musician.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 15:07
All bands including the very greatest have a shelf life though. Ok Rush have the shelf life of an oak tree but most bands explore a limited number of ideas before it becomes self evident that they are repeating themselves. PT probably have about 6-7 albums that are solid 4-5 star albums in PA terms but it would be sad if they started to drift into 3 star territory. SW can try different things now with different musicians and all three of his solo albums are distinctly different to me . Perhaps PT was beginning to become too rigid stylistically to be that interesting for much longer.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 02:32
If this does turn out to be the end for PT and The Incident is their swan song then I'm perfectly happy with that.  Conversely to most opinion I think The Incident is their best studio album, and I think it's a good idea to go out on top.

The solo albums are fantastic and I'm really pleased with the way SW is headed.

Posted By: bonestorm
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 20:51
Maybe the break will do them some good and they come back fresh.  I'm one of those who didn't like The Incident.  Hopefully it's not the end either way.

-------------
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk