Print Page | Close Window

Can a band be prog without making a studio album?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93127
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 21:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can a band be prog without making a studio album?
Posted By: Stool Man
Subject: Can a band be prog without making a studio album?
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 01:46
What if a band was very prog,undeniably and obviously prog in its sound and style and instrumentation and technique and all the rest of it, but with the exception that the band never makes a studio album, only live albums.  How important is the studio album in regarding this-or-that band as being prog? 
If the only Gentle Giant album was Playing The Fool,  or if the only Genesis album was Seconds Out, would they be prog?
If the only Dream Theater albums were their live ones, would they be prog?

We seem to mainly focus on a band's studio albums, but what if a band never made one, yet was prolific in the release of live recordings?

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Replies:
Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 02:02
Why should not releasing studio albums prevent a band from being considered prog? if the music they play is prog, it's a prog band (I am assuming that they play original material).
They do not need recording live albums either, many bands have started their careers playing live and only when they could afford it they released their first studio album.

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 02:36
Yeah, albums are just tangible products containing the group/artist's creative efforts, not the creativity itself. Progressive status is one donned by groups/artists who set out to create music that pushes and extends musical boundaries to operates outside the narrow confines of superficiality. Whether or not they actually record anything doesn't have any bearing on the progressive nature or spirit itself. 

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 03:17
^ What these two have said.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 05:35
I don't see why not, Seconds Out contains Supper's Ready which is a prog song regardless of being studio or live.

Was there ever such a band?

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 05:55
Anyone who grew up in Glasgow between 1974 and 1980 and frequented the live pub music circuit, would be familiar with Chou Pahrot, a fully fledged Prog band from Paisley who played a hybrid blend of Zappa, Beefheart, Modern Jazz, Crimson, Bartok and Stravinsky (they also sang their 'Sunday Post surrealist' lyrics in broad Glaswegian accents, contrary to the fashion of the day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chou_Pahrot" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chou_Pahrot

Chou Pahrot's only full length release was a live album in 1979 (excellent)

This had been preceded by a now, much sought after EP Buzgo Tram Chorus (excellent)

Funny how they ain't on PACry (Reminds me to suggest them perchance)

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 06:08
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Was there ever such a band?

The band I play in has never made a studio album, although we have recorded live while in a studio (and with no post-production or overdubbing of any kind)

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 08:15
what do you mean by "regarding this-or-that band as being prog" ..?

We can play these games all day :

- can we regard a Yes tribute band as being Prog?

- would we consider a band that never recorded anything as being Prog?

If you are implying the "being Prog" is shorthand for "...for being added to the PA database" then I would say - probably not. We are not a database of and for unsigned bands even in an age of mp3 downloads and self-released albums.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 08:59
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

The band I play in has never made a studio album, although we have recorded live while in a studio (and with no post-production or overdubbing of any kind)

If what you meant was 'look, our band has not released any studio album (whether recording was 'live in the studio' or with edits it doesn't make any difference), but could it qualify to be listed in PA?' the answer is clear in the criteria for bands inclusion: the band needs to have 'signed status', i.e. some commercially available release. As far as I know it does not matter whether the release is 'studio' or 'live' or 'recorded live in studio'.

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 10:26
Is this seriously a question?

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 10:41
see for reference http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6890" rel="nofollow - Fractale

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 11:18
The Grateful Dead were never really known for their studio albums (not compared to the live stuff anyway). So if that's the sort of idea you had in mind, than sure, I see no reason why not.

Posted By: MustardSea
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 13:24
Just look at My Brother The Wind - their "studio" albums are basically just live jams they recorded while playing in the studio.
Or take Badger, their first album was basically a live album recorded while opening for Yes.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8335" rel="nofollow - Kanoi on PA
http://kanoi.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - kanoi.bandcamp.com

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 13:32
If Colosseum realeased only their live would have been added to the site? I guess yes.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 15:58
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Well, apparently, it is.
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Why should not releasing studio albums prevent a band from being considered prog? if the music they play is prog, it's a prog band (I am assuming that they play original material).
They do not need recording live albums either, many bands have started their careers playing live and only when they could afford it they released their first studio album.
What this man said.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 16:27
Can a band be prog without playing any music at all?

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Can a band be prog without playing any music at all?
I think a lot of them already are.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:38
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Well, apparently, it is.
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

What this man said.

A band is progressive the moment they start playing progressive music. Whether they record it or not is COMPLETELY irrelevant. I've seen some silly posts on PA, but this takes the cake.

Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:40
^ Bear in mind that there must be a myriad of posts noting the difference between "prog" (as in the thread title) and "progressive" (as in your reference). Takes the cake now?

Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:43
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Bear in mind that there must be a myriad of posts noting the difference between "prog" (as in the thread title) and "progressive" (as in your reference). Takes the cake now?

It still doesn't matter though. If a "prog" band makes "prog" music, then it still doesn't matter whether they have a studio record or not. It's like saying King Crimson wasn't a prog band before ITCOTCK, even though they still played plenty of live shows.

Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:43
Could be the same for any genre. The genre is irrelevant.

Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:44
Sorry, it's 3:43pm here, and I still haven't got enough sleep.

Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:45
Its all good! Haha

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: April 22 2013 at 18:06
I don't see why they can't be ?

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 23 2013 at 12:57

What if a band was very prog,undeniably and obviously prog in its sound and style and instrumentation and technique and all the rest of it, but with the exception that the band never makes a studio album, only live albums.  How important is the studio album in regarding this-or-that band as being prog? 
If the only Gentle Giant album was Playing The Fool,  or if the only Genesis album was Seconds Out, would they be prog?

We seem to mainly focus on a band's studio albums, but what if a band never made one, yet was prolific in the release of live recordings?

Bizarre question ... !!!

You don't need a studio anymore ... there isn't a DAW out there that can't even Master your own work!

Strange to even hear that question ... like people can not have a musical ability that Mozart had a few years back, or that the Beatles had 50 years ago! Or the ability to manipulate a DAW, and do work far more progressive, interesting and experimental than anything we have ever heard or seen!

One note, though ... it could be said, and stated in the definition of "progressive" that the requirement might be the human element, with 2 or more folks playing together ... so when you hear Gary Green tell you that ... we just played and that it was improvised ... you don't go freaking out because you have no idea where to start that ... but the harmony quota would be even easier and crazier adn more fun to put together in a DAW, I bet! And this might be where, a lot of modern players, have not yet gotten to go crazy and have fun with the tools that they are working on.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 00:56
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Anyone who grew up in Glasgow between 1974 and 1980 and frequented the live pub music circuit, would be familiar with Chou Pahrot, a fully fledged Prog band from Paisley who played a hybrid blend of Zappa, Beefheart, Modern Jazz, Crimson, Bartok and Stravinsky (they also sang their 'Sunday Post surrealist' lyrics in broad Glaswegian accents, contrary to the fashion of the day) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chou_Pahrot" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chou_Pahrot Chou Pahrot's only full length release was a live album in 1979 (excellent)This had been preceded by a now, much sought after EP Buzgo Tram Chorus (excellent)Funny how they ain't on PACry (Reminds me to suggest them perchance)

I remember this band!! Thanks for reminding me.

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 06:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... like people can not have a musical ability that Mozart had a few years back
There you go , Mozart made no studio albums + Mozart is not Prog. = You can not be Prog. unless you make a studio album.
Simple as that Approve  

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 06:39
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

There you go , Mozart made no studio albums + Mozart is not Prog. = You can not be Prog. unless you make a studio album.
Simple as that Approve  
There's a flaw in that logic.

Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 11:59

Simple as that Approve  
Absolutely, the flaw lies in the question

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 12:23

Haha yes!! What the f**k is everyone going on about here? Prog is prog weather you hear it live or from a studio recording. You don't have to have the tangibles to back it up like studio album cd's. Also if the live album is good enough like the aforementioned SECONDS OUT, it's still prog baby!!

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 24 2013 at 12:38
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Haha yes!! What the f**k is everyone going on about here? Prog is prog weather you hear it live or from a studio recording. You don't have to have the tangibles to back it up like studio album cd's. Also if the live album is good enough like the aforementioned SECONDS OUT, it's still prog baby!!
I suspect Stewart (the OP) is wondering why, after 5 years of asking, A Band is not listed in the PA.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 17:55

Simple as that Approve  
Absolutely, the flaw lies in the question

Yeah, but you did not see that I made a comparative statement that you took off on your own tangent and immediately transposed Mozart to today's time, when that is NOT what I did! So, your coment ... is quite un-necessary and wrong ... again, based on what you said, eeveryone is too stupid to be able to create anything Prog ... or even come close to make a studio album!

You could not possibly see that I think that many of the folks in the area or "progressive" are far better composers of music than Mozart ever was! Of course not, you treat all these prog folks as idiots, from your comment! Tongue ... ohh wait ... you wouldn't know about A=B and B=C and this C equals A thing ... that's just not smart logic for your reading! Wink

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 18:08
Maybe the question should be can a band be prog if they do not have the money or gear to record their music and no label wants to sign them because they are not (potentially) commercial enough?  Cool

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 28 2013 at 22:05
Computer says no.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 10:33
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Maybe the question should be can a band be prog if they do not have the money or gear to record their music and no label wants to sign them because they are not (potentially) commercial enough?  Cool

As Dean said ...

YES

Next!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 10:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I suspect Stewart (the OP) is wondering why, after 5 years of asking, A Band is not listed in the PA.
We were added a year ago, it only took four years of asking Big smile

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 22:14
If a band is playing progressive music in the forest and there's no one there to hear them, are they still Prog?

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 23:08
Of course they still are.

> "Well, yeah, brilliant deduction, you genius."

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 23:31
Like them?

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 14:20
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

If a band is playing progressive music in the forest and there's no one there to hear them, are they still Prog?

BUT ... does it diminish what the work is ... for them?

Or does it raise it, for that matter!

And that's an issue ... minor one!

But the history of the arts is predicated on it BEING HEARD/BEING SEEN/BEING READ ... which kinda defeats your wording and statement!

So, if you just play for yourself in the garage and no one will hear it ... fine ... but if your son lets it out after you do, and we listen to it and go ... wow ... that's progressive ... that's a whole different other story, isn't it.

Let's all do the timewarp now!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 17:02
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Like them?

We heard it now, so I guess it is.

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 23:35

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 23:43
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Everyone understands I was being rather tongue in cheek here, I hope.
Where's our Progosopher?

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 00:06
Hmmmm... Tony Kaye's Badger had a live debut release, "One Live Badger."  I didn't know of any followup, but they did release a studio work called "White Lady" after Tony left.  I've never heard that one.

"One Live Badger" was quite good, and it had an exquisite Roger Dean cover!  

Posted By: kimtahyuk
Date Posted: June 29 2013 at 14:27
I wouldn't listen then, for the beauty of prog is perfectionism to me.
that's why I like glenn gould so much he was obsessed with studio recording.

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: June 29 2013 at 15:10

Like them?

Cool stuff!

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Date Posted: June 29 2013 at 17:42

Like them?

Cool stuff!
Suggested and rejected some months ago, but I'm not sure to have chosen the right subgenre. Do you think they are prog at least? 

-------------

Posted By: Investinmolden
Date Posted: June 30 2013 at 15:12
I think it can be the question about studio effects - are they so essential to music which we consider as prog rock or they are not? You can easily imagnine (and hear of course) King Crimson, Yes, ELP or even Marillion and Dream Theater playing live same stuff as on studio album. But then take,for the example, most known progressive Pink Floyd albums like Dark Side of the Moon or Whish You Were Here - they're very "produced" (which I mean very well produced) and sample tracks need to be used live to make it sound enjoyable.

-------------
http://investinmolden.cba.pl/

https://soundcloud.com/investinmolden-1

https://www.facebook.com/Investinmolden

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: June 30 2013 at 16:21
I don't remember Atomic Rooster releasing a live album in their heyday.

Posted By: Nick Dilley
Date Posted: July 01 2013 at 00:28

I think that if a band only made live albums, and the production/performance/music was good, it would be awesome!

-------------
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie

Posted By: Nick Dilley
Date Posted: July 01 2013 at 00:40
Originally posted by Investinmolden Investinmolden wrote:

I think it can be the question about studio effects - are they so essential to music which we consider as prog rock or they are not? You can easily imagnine (and hear of course) King Crimson, Yes, ELP or even Marillion and Dream Theater playing live same stuff as on studio album. But then take,for the example, most known progressive Pink Floyd albums like Dark Side of the Moon or Whish You Were Here - they're very "produced" (which I mean very well produced) and sample tracks need to be used live to make it sound enjoyable.

But sampling can be done live to great effect. And, I for one really dig it when people can control it themselves, making it a relatively more viable part of the artistic experience.

-------------
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie

Posted By: Investinmolden
Date Posted: July 01 2013 at 11:21
You're right - live sampling requiers as much knowledge and practice as playing "typical" instrument. That's definitly worth to hear and watch :)

-------------
http://investinmolden.cba.pl/

https://soundcloud.com/investinmolden-1

https://www.facebook.com/Investinmolden

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: July 24 2013 at 00:52

A prog band  can exists without studio album(s) but the studio work with all of studio effects made prog as a genre  imo.

Date Posted: July 24 2013 at 01:45

Like them?

Cool stuff!
Suggested and rejected some months ago, but I'm not sure to have chosen the right subgenre. Do you think they are prog at least? 
Cool Cool Cool, that music !

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 24 2013 at 23:03
Sure a band can be "prog" without a studio album.  Twelfth Night released 2 or 3 live cassette only albums before they were able to record "Fact and Fiction".  They didn't magically "become prog" (or neo-prog in their case) by stepping into a recording studio.  

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 30 2013 at 15:29
To answer your question, definitely. Lots of examples already said Big smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk