Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93256
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 17:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Superstitious with your prog ?
Posted By: Melomaniac
Subject: Superstitious with your prog ?
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:19
Yeah, weird subject, I know.  Are you in any way superstitious with your prog ? For example, I love Spock's Beard's Octane, but since the main track, A Flash Before My Eyes, deals with someone dying in a car accident, I NEVER listen to this album in my car. Confused

What about you, prog-brothers and sisters ?

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:27
No I am not.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:30
I've had a car crash with Battiato in the stereo. I never listen to him when I'm in a car.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:31
I was nearly killed in a car accident a few years ago, driving on a road that, in the space of about 30 seconds, was completely covered in ice by a storm...I ended up sliding onto the area that divides two sides of a highway, crashed into trees at about 50 kms, they pierced through the windshield and front console area. The car was a total write off, the CD I was listening to at the time, somehow ended up behind my seat, about a billion scratches on it.

It was `The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday', and I've still got that very same ruined CD....I don't know whether it's bad luck or good luck....Needless to say it's not in my new car anymore, and no accidents since!

Oh, and I didn't get even a single scratch. The ambulance and polcie were in total disbelief.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 14:52
^ I think someone was watching over you!

Although not prog, I don't think I will listen to DOA by Bloodrock while flying in a plane...

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:00
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Although not prog, I don't think I will listen to DOA by Bloodrock while flying in a plane...

Jim! You know, as I was heading right for those jagged limbs, and knew I was going to be going straight into them, the cliche of `time standing still', or everything in slow motion literally did feel like it was happening....I looked straight at the small cross hanging from my mirror and said `Lord God, don't let me die....' - BANG.

So, yes, I'm very susperstitious about that event, and you know....I also had (and have still got!) a small figurine of Ned Flanders in the car too! Double the spiritual protection!

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:00
I'm not superstitious at all.

I would happily listen to Lynyrd Skynrd on a plane - if you gave me a huge dose of rohypnol or similar and dragged me screaming and kicking on to the bloody thing in the first place.

The music wouldn't affect whether it crashed or not. My presence would pretty much guarantee it.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:03
I got in a real bad car accident while "The Adventures of Greggary Peccary" by Zappa was playing, and it took me a long time to listen to that one again.  Not really because of any superstition,, but just because it brought back such horrid memories.

One thing I do, though... every CD I ever listen to, I skip the first ten seconds of the CD.  I have a strange irrational fear that I'll fall off the edge of the music if I don't start it a safe distance in.  Crazy, I know.

And false too. I just made that up BWAAA HAAAHA HA

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:04
I once got food poisoning from Subway (as did 11 of my coworkers that day) and never eat at Subway anymore.  Wait...ummmm, no I'm not. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:09
I tend to be fairly superstitious despite knowing that it is irrational, but that being said, I can't think of any prog related superstitions offhand.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:09
*knocks on wood*

-------------

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 15:46
I will admit, I do get slightly creeped out when "Arriving Somewhere but not Here" comes on while I'm driving.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 16:08
I have a strong case of aviatophobia.

1.- Each time I get into a plane, I play "One More Red Nightmare" it's a tradition.

2.- When I drive to the mountains, I always play Roundabout to start the trip

-------------

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 16:44
I was superstitious in another way. 

Once in my student days I've listened to "Led Zeppelin IV" before going to exams. Since then I believed this album helps to get the highest rates. So this album became a kind of talisman.

And I always liked to listen to Deep Purple's "Black Night" before the long road. This song always brought me a good fortune.  

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 18:17
I never listen to Prog when there is a "Q" in the month. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE) or any Jethro Tull during a Sealed Knot reenactment of the Battle of Basing House (October 13, 1645 @ 3.17 pm, moved to the scout hut if raining). I have not played Three Friends when stepping on cracks in the pavement, or Three Of A Perfect Pair while walking under ladders, or Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted when opening an umbrella indoors, however since bad things happen in threes just to be safe I've not played Three Sides Live while breaking a mirror. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I am of the firm belief that liking Kansas does not cause hives but I'm taking no chances just in case I'm wrong (touch wood). I suspect that listening to Clutching At Straws when you are clutching at straws would be foolhardy or wise or both or neither but would be nothing more than clutching at straws. Even if you pay me I will not listen to Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon all the way through. Playing track five from John Cale's Paris 1919 album during a Dream Theaer performance is unlucky. I once purchased a Magma album and survived, but I have not ridden a horse since that day. I strongly believe it is extremely unlucky to review an album until you've heard it at least once. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I broke my arm falling off my motorcycle while riding to college one morning in 1978 and a mere 29 years later I ordered Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon from Amazon and didn't like it one bit - that cannot be a coincidence... stranger things are at play than can be dreamt of in Heaven and Earth, or things in your philosophy Horatio (to paraphrase Kismet Hardy), messing with retroactive power like that is beyond our understanding or belief... I think playing all Flower Kings albums simultaenously would probably result in you never being born at all ... the last person to attempt this is standing right he- well he was here a minute ag- who? What? I would advise anyone against going swimming until at least one hour after listening to Pawn Hearts and saying the title of Yes's fifth album in reverse word-order will summon the devil (but he won't turn up owing to a prior engagement). Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 18:35
Why don't they have seat row 13 on planes - how many aircrashes are there where only one row of seats fell out? Is sitting in the back row the safest place to be because planes don't reverse into mountains? Why aren't planes made from the same material as the black box flight recorder? If flying is safer than crossing the road why don't we fly across the road? If jet fighters have ejector seats why don't they have them on jet airliners? Why don't aircraft have a huge paracute strapped to the fuselage? Or why don't they inflate the lifejackets and rafts with helium? Why do they tell you to adopt the 'crash' position, can't we adopt the 'bit of bump and gentle roll to a stop' survival position instead?

-------------
What?

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:22
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

1.- Each time I get into a plane, I play "One More Red Nightmare" it's a tradition.

You listening to Roundabout? I didn't expect that...

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:26
As for me, I try to avoid music with satanic lyrics, and perhaps some other un-pleasant themes. That's the reason I hesitate to get into Therion, and am somewhat uncomfortable with Opeth's "Heritage". Though I guess sometimes it's hard to get the true meaning of the writer.

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Hey, Roundabout was the song that introduced me to Prog.

-------------

Posted By: Second Life Syndrome
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 23:41
Maybe not superstitious, but certain albums remind me of certain situations.  Recently, for example, I was listening to Jupiter Society right before an interview that didn't end the way I'd hoped.  I haven't listened to that album since then, even though I had just purchased it.  Certain places "feel" like a certain album, too.  If I listen to a certain album quite a bit while in a certain town, I identify them together for years to come.  Weird?

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 04:05
I'm not born as an English speaker, so I don't really care about the lyrics when I'm having a catastrophe.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:32
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

No I am not.

Niether am I. There are some albums I like to listen at certain times, occasions or circumstances, but that's quite different. I've never been superstitious about anything, and certainly not the music I like. 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE)

I tried that once, never again.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:54

Why don't they have seat row 13 on planes - how many aircrashes are there where only one row of seats fell out? Is sitting in the back row the safest place to be because planes don't reverse into mountains? Why aren't planes made from the same material as the black box flight recorder? If flying is safer than crossing the road why don't we fly across the road? If jet fighters have ejector seats why don't they have them on jet airliners? Why don't aircraft have a huge paracute strapped to the fuselage? Or why don't they inflate the lifejackets and rafts with helium? Why do they tell you to adopt the 'crash' position, can't we adopt the 'bit of bump and gentle roll to a stop' survival position instead?
And why do they ask you to put on that ridiculous seatbelt, as if that's going to save you from a plane crash LOL it's only so they will have it easier for identifying the corpses from the seat number they are tied to!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 09:09
I never listen to Genesis when I'm scuba diving. It's the acoustics as well as the fear of the many Phil Collins fans amongst orcas.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:03
^
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

No I am not.
+1. I just face it head-on whenever I feel like it.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:01
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I was nearly killed in a car accident a few years ago, driving on a road that, in the space of about 30 seconds, was completely covered in ice by a storm...I ended up sliding onto the area that divides two sides of a highway, crashed into trees at about 50 kms, they pierced through the windshield and front console area. The car was a total write off, the CD I was listening to at the time, somehow ended up behind my seat, about a billion scratches on it.

It was `The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday', and I've still got that very same ruined CD....I don't know whether it's bad luck or good luck....Needless to say it's not in my new car anymore, and no accidents since!

Oh, and I didn't get even a single scratch. The ambulance and polcie were in total disbelief.

That's because you are a goddam superhero. :) so glad you were ok from that. :)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:04
Well I did crash my nice BMW back in 2009 and I was listening to STILL REMAINS by FATES WARNING.
I have not had that song playing in the car since. Some omens are true!!! Lol

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:06
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

That's because you are a goddam superhero.

I'm not, but I do like to wear my underpants on the outside...

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:06
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I'm not born as an English speaker, so I don't really care about the lyrics when I'm having a catastrophe.

Right on THOR!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:13
I would have thought the God of Thunder could PREVENT catasrophes?!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:16
I'm not superstitious, it carries on over to prog. 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:24

Ooooh I wanted to say that, but I didnt want to piss off the God of Thunder and get a war hammer or a tesseract shoved up my you know what. Lol

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:37

Ooooh I wanted to say that, but I didnt want to piss off the God of Thunder and get a war hammer or a tesseract shoved up my you know what. Lol

Don't worry, I've turned into a little girl.

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:41
Hmmmm, methinks the God of Thunder is really the Lord of Lies - that cute avatar won't fool anyone for long lol!

Or maybe Loki, the trickster God!

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:44

Don't worry, I've turned into a little girl.

nice!!! Love the sense of humor. Looks like sailor moon or something? I dunno but it's fiercely Japanese...uh o I'm getting scared again.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:46
Oh, Sailor Moon, she was a cutie....Command me, mistress lol!

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:50

Oh, Sailor Moon, she was a cutie....Command me, mistress lol!

Brave soul.

What music would she like? I'm thinking the Black Rain soundtrack by Hanz Zimmer. Lol

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:52
Ah, touche! In retrospect, she was a schoolgirl, so things just got very awkward in here lol!

Sorry folks lol!

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:54
The appropriate local authorities have been contacted. Wink

-------------

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:56
Not really, but I found that listening to Pink Floyd intensifies my fear of heights immeasurably.
Conversely, Rush makes me less afraid of heights, though no less clumsy at climbing ladders.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:57
< id="bpm-darkle"> < id="bpm-invert">

Ah, touche! In retrospect, she was a schoolgirl, so things just got very awkward in here lol!

Sorry folks lol!

Yeah, but she's an anime girl, so it doesn't really count. Wink

I have zero superstitions about prog.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:10
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I got in a real bad car accident while "The Adventures of Greggary Peccary" by Zappa was playing, and it took me a long time to listen to that one again.  Not really because of any superstition,, but just because it brought back such horrid memories.

I also got into a car accident while We're Only In It For The Money was on. The accident wasn't so bad, but still jarring. Couldn't listen to it for a couple of years at least.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 13:22
True story - I can't listen to "The Wall" in the car. I've only listened to the whole thing twice in the car (lonnng road trips), and both times I was pulled over for speeding. And they were the only times I was pulled over. (Now I probably jinxed myself and will get clocked on the way home from work.)

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 14:03

Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.

This actually happened to me once! The deja vu was more of a mood that set in rather than an event. It is hard to explain, but it had to do with the weather that day and thoughts about a certain girl I knew at the time. The weird thing was that the memory aspect of it was of something that had not happened and never happened (and it isn't what all of you are thinking - get your minds out of the gutter )

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 15:02
Hi,

Not really, but every now and then there is a cut here and there that ... gets you and you remember it ... and there is one such example in a Barclay James Harvest album that ... has a knack for making me go ... not sure I want to hear it now kinda thing ... which sometimes is dis-concerting.

Generally, a moment like that for me is much tougher than any "suggestions" or "weirdness" in many albums under the guise and futility that it is this or that ... many times making it laughable (ie ... some bands that think they are evil! ... ) ... when, all in all, sometimes the easiest sequence of sound effects is way more intriguing and "visual" than the idea and the lyrics!

Generally not.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 16:56
Moshkito, you don't understand this thread.

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 20:55

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Hey, Roundabout was the song that introduced me to Prog.

Oh well, somewhat nice to hear about something you kind of like from Yes. I wonder if you might by chance like Asia's version better, without Anderson singing it (as for me, I definitley like Yes's version better).

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 23:56
I am not superstitious...FULL STOP.

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 01:56
I'm not superstitious at all

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 02:19
I wouldn't listen to 2112 if they had called it 2113 LOL

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:57
Not superstitious, but I am rather obsessive-compulsive. I refuse to break up any album I would regard as at least a 4.5 on my scale. There are some I will only listen to on long car trips as I can more or less reasonably assume they won't be interrupted. Some I allocate to trips to the gym as well because I can still adequately digest while working out and also be certain to get through them all in one go. There's not really a science to making that decision. Some just work for one scenario but not the other. Some work for both. For that reason I don't listen to more than a handful of albums any given week. My lesser picks are put in the car for day-to-day trips where I don't care if they become fragmented.

Posted By: Tubes
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 20:42
Don't know if this counts but, I like to listen to Cinema Show or Counting Out Time before I see my favorite girl in the morning. Wink

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:08
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

Don't know if this counts but, I like to listen to Cinema Show or Counting Out Time before I see my favorite girl in the morning. Wink

Outstanding!!!!

-------------

Posted By: 3almost46yea
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 17:15
I never listen to Fylingdale Flyer whenever being near the Nuclear missiles, and on the clear nights when NLOs could show up out of nowhere. 

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 21:15
I listen to Vangelis's album THE CITY the night before my Marathons. Never had an injury and have always finished those 42k beasts. Got one this Sunday (may 5th) so I got that album nice and ready! :)

-------------

Posted By: javier0889
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:34
I never listen to Mahavishnu's Birds of Fire, or any Univers Zero or Magma record during full moon nights.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:40

I listen to Vangelis's album THE CITY the night before my Marathons. Never had an injury and have always finished those 42k beasts. Got one this Sunday (may 5th) so I got that album nice and ready! :)

I would have thought his `Chariots Of Fire' soundtrack would have been very appropriate for any marathons, Nick! You can also imagine moving in slow motion as you cross the finish line!

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:59

Now THAT is supertitious, but it's great !

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 12:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE)

I tried that once, never again.

Heck ... even I have tried it on our Adam and Eve suits ... and the girl and I had some fun to Karn Evil! ... wait ... was it Tarkus? ... nooo ... it was ...

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:01

Moshkito, you don't understand this thread.

Hey Professor ... you must not know either, since you are not capable of explaining it ... but then, English was never known for being a precise language, specially in America where they have ebonics, not grammar!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 16:04

I would have thought his `Chariots Of Fire' soundtrack would have been very appropriate for any marathons, Nick! You can also imagine moving in slow motion as you cross the finish line!

Oh I can and I will!!! Na I gotta be cool and not joke around cause of the whole Boston bombing at their last marathon. Otherwise my good friend I would! And you are right. Chariots would be more appropriate, but the CITY sedates and relaxes me more. Better ambience for me. :) The Procession gets me ready everytime.

-------------

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 17:03

Best of luck to you mate. Glad I'm not the only progger here who runs marathons. Big smile

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 02:41

I never listen to Prog when there is a "Q" in the month. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I have never listened to ELP while wearing the full military dress uniform of the Greek Army (cira. 2356BCE) or any Jethro Tull during a Sealed Knot reenactment of the Battle of Basing House (October 13, 1645 @ 3.17 pm, moved to the scout hut if raining). I have not played Three Friends when stepping on cracks in the pavement, or Three Of A Perfect Pair while walking under ladders, or Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted when opening an umbrella indoors, however since bad things happen in threes just to be safe I've not played Three Sides Live while breaking a mirror. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I am of the firm belief that liking Kansas does not cause hives but I'm taking no chances just in case I'm wrong (touch wood). I suspect that listening to Clutching At Straws when you are clutching at straws would be foolhardy or wise or both or neither but would be nothing more than clutching at straws. Even if you pay me I will not listen to Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon all the way through. Playing track five from John Cale's Paris 1919 album during a Dream Theaer performance is unlucky. I once purchased a Magma album and survived, but I have not ridden a horse since that day. I strongly believe it is extremely unlucky to review an album until you've heard it at least once. Listening to Genesis causes amnesia. I broke my arm falling off my motorcycle while riding to college one morning in 1978 and a mere 29 years later I ordered Phideaux's Doomsday Afternoon from Amazon and didn't like it one bit - that cannot be a coincidence... stranger things are at play than can be dreamt of in Heaven and Earth, or things in your philosophy Horatio (to paraphrase Kismet Hardy), messing with retroactive power like that is beyond our understanding or belief... I think playing all Flower Kings albums simultaenously would probably result in you never being born at all ... the last person to attempt this is standing right he- well he was here a minute ag- who? What? I would advise anyone against going swimming until at least one hour after listening to Pawn Hearts and saying the title of Yes's fifth album in reverse word-order will summon the devil (but he won't turn up owing to a prior engagement). Listening to Genesis causes déjà vu.

I nominate this for post of the year.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 16:28
I always have a premonition that a spinning, mirrored ball will appear just at the beginning of a live performance of "Close To The Edge."  

And at the end as well.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Best of luck to you mate. Glad I'm not the only progger here who runs marathons. Big smile

No you are not. 42k down the hatch as of Sunday. Great experience. Came home and listened to a bunch of prog and of course thanked the VANGELIS god for keeping me alive.

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by Earendil Earendil wrote:

Yeah. Dean has really been on his game lately. He is defiantely not senile.

-------------

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:49

Seconded.

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:53
I'm not superstitious as far as I know, but have been known to "knock on wood" from time to time after making a definitive statement (an act I tend to think of more as hedging my bets than as real superstition).

I do recall though, that I saw the Flower Kings perform on Sept. 8, 2001.  I picked up their just released that day album, the Rainmaker.  The first track, Last Minute On Earth, was a favorite on the first couple listens.  A couple days later, a large number of people experienced their last minute on earth literally.  I wasn't able to listen to the song or album for a couple months after that.  So not superstitious really, but just a disturbing coincidental occurrence.

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:46

No you are not. 42k down the hatch as of Sunday. Great experience. Came home and listened to a bunch of prog and of course thanked the VANGELIS god for keeping me alive.
I think that my cousin ran the Pittsburgh marathon that day.  Is that the one that you ran?

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I do recall though, that I saw the Flower Kings perform on Sept. 8, 2001.  I picked up their just released that day album, the Rainmaker.  The first track, Last Minute On Earth, was a favorite on the first couple listens.  A couple days later, a large number of people experienced their last minute on earth literally.  I wasn't able to listen to the song or album for a couple months after that.  So not superstitious really, but just a disturbing coincidental occurrence.
Together with the coincidence of DT's Live Scenes From New York original cover.

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that my cousin ran the Pittsburgh marathon that day.  Is that the one that you ran?

Hey man. Yeah I ran the Toronto, Goodlife one. It was on May 5th. I missed qualifying for Boston by 32min. :(
I'll get there....one day. I can try again in October cause that's the scotiabank one it's a Boston qualifier as well.
There are 2 major marathons in Toronto only.

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 16:05
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Brilliant!  That song scared the s&^* out of me when I was 11 years old.  It was on the radio constantly in the spring of 1971 and I remember being obsessed with it...I couldn't get the lyrics out of my head.  I remember lying in bed at night terrified that it would happen to me.  The only other song that scared me as much was the Beatles "Revolution 9."  I was big into the whole "Paul is Dead" thing and  "Revolution 9" always seemed to me to be the soundtrack to his demise.

I'm superstitious about Peter Hammill.  When younger, my problems with chronic depression were often enhanced by PH...his lyrics could send me in a downward spiral if I wasn't careful, so I would only listen to his solo albums when I was feeling really good.  VDGG (which was much more surrealistic and abstract) have never had that effect on me, but PH's solo work which is often uncomfortably personal, intense, and depressing often triggered bad things for me Clown

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 07:34
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded (?)

Posts like these are yet another reason why I love this site! :-)

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 07:38
Is it okay to listen to Rush's "Jacob's Ladder" on headphones whilst walking under a ladder?

Posted By: Astral Traveller
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 08:45
My Prog listening habits are often influenced by when I first listened to the respective artists. This is sometimes by design in order to take me back to that time in my life, or just because, Oh, I haven't walked through these woods since the fall when I first heard VDGG.

Quick Seasons Chart.
Late Dec-Early March- Genesis
Mid-March-Mid July-Yes
May-Sept-ELP
Late May- Early July-Steve Hackett
August-Early November-Rush
Early August-Late September- Moody Blues
August-late Oct-VDGG
Early November-Late December- Pink Floyd

I'm crazy, I know

-------------

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp

Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 09:02
Originally posted by Astral Traveller Astral Traveller wrote:

Oh, I haven't waled through these woods since the fall when I first heard VDGG.
I have to admit I didn't know what waled was http://www.thefreedictionary.com/waled%20" rel="nofollow - until Iooked it up , but I imagine falling down when you first heard VDGG would result in a very nasty welt, and on your wood too, that must be very painful Pinch

-------------
What?

Posted By: Astral Traveller
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 09:05
I'm currently in a High School Algebra class, with a teacher looking over my shoulder constantly, suffice to say I didn't have time to spell check, I fixed it, thanks for pointing that out.

-------------

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: July 17 2013 at 16:22
Not particularly, but I once crashed my car while listening to ItCotCK. But I solved that problem, I sold my car.

-------------

Posted By: Greg W
Date Posted: July 17 2013 at 21:30
I one time was listening to prog in the car when I had to stop for a train. I waited a really long time for it to pass. Now I never listen to Big Big Train in the car.

Date Posted: July 17 2013 at 23:37
I don't listen Genesis studio albums with less than 4 members...It's bad luck

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2013 at 21:09
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Not particularly, but I once crashed my car while listening to ItCotCK. But I solved that problem, I sold my car.

I crashed my car while listening to FATES WARNING's STILL REMAINS.
Car was a write off. Solved that problem. Lol

-------------

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: July 18 2013 at 22:28

I don't listen Genesis studio albums with less than 4 members...It's bad luck

Pretty unpleasant too LOL

Posted By: JCDenton
Date Posted: August 25 2013 at 15:14
Only real superstition is that significant moments (returning home from a long trip, graduating school) will become empty memories later on if 'As Sure as Eggs Is Eggs' from "Supper's Ready" isn't playing in my head.

-------------
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 19 2014 at 15:20
Not really. Just try not to listen to a good thing too much or often. Want it to sound fresh the next time.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 20 2014 at 04:43
I insist on the 13th Floor Elevators while looking for love in an elevator. If a hotel is missing it's 13th floor, an aisle missing row 13, a seat missing it's 13th repository. I suggest that if someone has made such an elementary numerical error, what worse things have not been considered? (Think Van Halen's M &Ms).

This is fun. I always ask for my oxygen when boarding a flight craft. Ultimate natural high that requires no effort. Yet worries others. Very punk rock. Where was I?

Oh, yes 13. Anyone suspicious of this number (and announces it) I'll tell 'em I'll compensate by playing the new Sabbath album. In their honour.

Or  Triskakaphobie by Present. (Fear of the number 13).

I Ain't Superstitious by Howlin' Wolf and / or the Jeff Beck Group.

Superstition by S. Wonder always perks me up. Anything for a laugh and irrationality is good.

Music played while something significant and possibly dangerous is going down.... well, on Sept 11 2001 just before the 2nd plane went into the towers I had been listening to Burning The Hard City by Djam Karet. But that was probably a coincidence. Since then I have been in tall buildings and have listened to that album. Lightning did not strike twice. Well, not me anyway,

I have yet to test the Scottish play out on actors as per that Blackadder episode. There's time yet, I'm sure.

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: March 26 2014 at 17:35

This was so entertaining

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

This was so entertaining

Yes. This was one of the better responses of 2013. I recall one of my sides splitting open.
:)

-------------

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: March 29 2014 at 06:29
I, on the other hand, am http://www.sacred-texts.com/fort/" rel="nofollow - Fortean about my progressive rock.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: March 29 2014 at 09:20
I don't listen to the Hawkwind song High Rise-something about that song is troubling to me.The rest of PXR5 i enjoy.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 29 2014 at 18:01
I never drive while Peter Hammill is singing....

Oh wait, I never listen to Peter Hammill singing.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk