Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93259
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 12:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Most enduring credible vocals from ageing vocalist
Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Subject: Most enduring credible vocals from ageing vocalist
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 18:47
I admire all these singers and I know there are many I have overlooked but of these 7 whose vocals do you think have endured the inevitable wear and tear of time with the most credibility and graceful longevity as they move into their later years?

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Replies:
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 18:50
Remember this is not a who do you think is the best vocalist but who has endured throughout their career with the most panache and credibility 

-------------

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:23
1. Gabriel  2. Jon Anderson  3. Ian Anderson 4. John Wetton. The rest ... eecch. (Just to be clear, I'm referring to how their voice and singing are today. At one time, I thought Greg Lake was the best vocalist I've ever heard. You'd have to pay me a lot to listen to anything he's done in the last 15 years. What once was powerful, intense and emotional is now pedestrian, cheesy and saccharine. Ian Anderson's voice has deteriorated a lot but he's compensated with a singing style that still lends sincerity. TAAB2 is a perfect example.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:26
EASILY Gabriel. He's also my favorite vocalist from this batch. 

List based on current condition..

Gabriel
Wetton
J. Anderson
Daltrey/Plant

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:28
Of the seven listed here, I'd have to say Annie Haslam. Smile

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:50
Robert Plant still sounds pretty darn good

Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:53
Gabriel & Plant still seem to still have chops but for a man his age i think Daltrey still has the power, range and pitch of a great singer even if he has become a more gritty one reminiscent of Joe Cocker. Not too many people Roger's age can still belt it out like that. 

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 20:23
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Of the seven listed here, I'd have to say Annie Haslam. Smile

Right on.   Was virtuoso back then and is virtuoso to this day.  Not something I could say about any of these singers (Daltrey's voice seems to have got too raspy now).   From this list, voted for Wetton.   

I have never heard any new VDGG or Hammill album....how has he fared?  I have a feeling his voice may have held up well. 

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 20:39
Gabriel's in good shape.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 20:46
From the lot here, I think Gabriel's possibly better now than he was in the day. I'd say Roy Harper is maybe the only vocalist/songwriter I can think of who's aged better. Robert Plant has done some good stuff recently - I haven't heard any recent Haslam, sadly. Saw Ian Anderson a year or two back - think at a point in the tour when he was flagging a little - fine on some of the newer stuff that was a bit more approachable with his voice as it is, a bit thin on the older material.

Peter Hammill's an interesting critter - I think he's still dead good and he's still doing unique and interesting things he hasn't done before, which is something a lot of vocalists can't really be accused of after a certain point. Might say that the redone House of Usher (mid-late 90s, IIRC) could have been his peak as a singer but I'm never sure if that's just because the restrictions of the operatic format gave him a lot of focus.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 21:35
Wetton has been sounding pretty good recently.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 21:40
Saw Wetton with U.K. a month ago.  He may be better than ever, vocally!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 22:07
^ Really? ... 'Cause I saw him on YouTube singing some things recently, and it don't sound good ... at all ... no to my ears.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 22:14
Gabriel

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 22:15
Though, I'll also throw a shout out to Mr. Hammill.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 22:16
Geddy Lee.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 29 2013 at 22:19
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Gabriel's in good shape.

Agree--he could become the Tony Bennett of progLOL

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 00:18
Jon Anderson. His job on, for example, Magnification, is extraodinary.
Second choice would be of course Gabriel.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 00:29
From this list I guess Gabriel but just recently I've been listening to Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know (Black Sabbath 2009 album)and I must say Dio is incredible for a 66 year old dude, almost impossible.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 00:33
Peter Hammill for me, so no vote.  He still sounds great on record and tries hard to pull off his inimitable style when performing live.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 01:16
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Geddy Lee.

I was thinking the same thing. His voice is still quite wonderful.

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 01:34
From the list Peter Gabriel. Off of the list Ian Gillan - just gave Deep Purple's new album a once over and for his age the man rocks as good as he once did.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 01:40
on his 2006 solo tour, David Gilmour's voice was better than it had ever been.  I'm voting other.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 03:51
David Gilmour. And Peter Hammill. But they are not on this list. Ian Anderson's voice sounds fine on TAAB2.

-------------

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 04:03
I'll go for John Wetton. I saw Asia live a couple of years back and was amazed at how powerful his vocals sounded, and this was shortly after he'd had a heart attack!

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 05:08
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Peter Hammill for me, so no vote.  He still sounds great on record and tries hard to pull off his inimitable style when performing live.
Pretty much.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 06:02
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

on his 2006 solo tour, David Gilmour's voice was better than it had ever been.  I'm voting other.

My thoughts exactly. His voice has hardly aged at all. He gets my vote.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 07:29
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

From this list I guess Gabriel but just recently I've been listening to Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know (Black Sabbath 2009 album)and I must say Dio is incredible for a 66 year old dude, almost impossible.
Sadly RJD is not sounding so good these days.

From the list I'd have to go for Anderson, his voice doesn't seem to have aged a great deal.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:45
I went with Wetton but would have voted for Peter Hammill or Gary Brooker if they'd have been listed.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:56
Peter Gabreil for me. Sounded great on his recent NEW BLOOD ALBUM.

Also. Heard some mention of DIO. Yup. He would be second for me. :)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:58
From this list; Wetton. If anything his vocals are stronger than ever!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:02
The first name that popped into my head when I saw the thread title, but not the poll itself, was John Wetton, so that's who I voted for.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Sadly RJD is not sounding so good these days.

Sadly.

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 16:49
Daltrey's vocals on the last Who album Endless Wire were very powerful, a bit like a strong Joe Cocker but maybe not the range of a younger Daltrey. Still very emotional though.
Interested in hearing Ozzy on the new Sabbath CD. I hope he can still sing better than he can talk!

-------------

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 16:53
Not on the list, but Dave Cousins of the Strawbs still kicks ass vocally.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 17:14
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Geddy Lee.

This. Peter Hammill also, as he hasn't lost much of that edge.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 19:34
Originally posted by sukmytoe sukmytoe wrote:

From the list Peter Gabriel. Off of the list Ian Gillan - just gave Deep Purple's new album a once over and for his age the man rocks as good as he once did.

I was wondering about ol' Ian. I have heard from other sources he sounds great. I voted for PG.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:19
Daltrey's voice is going, but man, he's still kicking it, and he's like the oldest out of all of them. I saw them live a few months back,and he's till jumping all over the place, and screaming and kicking. It was awesome to see.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:22
Not sure. I haven't heard many of this on more recent albums. For me, Jon Anderson was as good as ever on Magnification and the symphonic tour that came after, but that was over 10 years ago. On Songs from Tsongas I feel his voice wasn't so perfectly good anymore, I guess it lost some power, but I don't know how he may be singing now.

Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:46
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

- I haven't heard any recent Haslam, sadly. 

From their latest album:

Ian Anderson on flute, incidentally.

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:10
Hammill's voice doesn't sound like it's changed much at all either:

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:40
Oooh, that's one of my faves from Hammill's 90's output.............saw him do that one live in '97..........

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 06:35
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Also. Heard some mention of DIO. Yup. He would be second for me. :)

I'm not sure that Ronnie James Dio is really eligible for this poll.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:32
Peter Gabriel first

then Peter Hammill who seems to be improving with age!

-------------

Posted By: geneyesontle
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 17:06
Jon Anderson is better now than 40 years ago.
Trust me, I saw him with Rick Wakeman and he was fantastic.

-------------
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 17:22
Gabriel and Gilmour.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 20:37

A great video of Wetton. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 21:44
I'd say Plant, but then again he's doing stuff more suited toward his age now. I doubt he'd be convincing with the wails of Zeppelin.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 00:59
Wetton

Posted By: humor4u1959
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 01:50
Honestly, I cannot believe this poll! None of the singers listed can do now what they did 30 years ago. None of them. See, there is a thing called 'lowering the key.'

Jon Anderson cannot sing the old Yes stuff in the original key. And Gabriel? I can't believe he's winning! His voice was shot many years ago, and yes, he's lowered the keys too. Jeez!

Ian Anderson has NO voice left and uses another singer live. So, how can he get any votes? Someone explain all this to me, please.

Plant did the reunion concert in lower keys and still sounded bad. It gets worse as one reads the list.

Given the choices, I had to vote for Wetton, but even he is not as good now. Remember, all these guys are...OLD! REALLY OLD. Their prime has long past.

You want to know who still sings pretty darn good, in the original key, from the 1960's? Gary Brooker from Procol Harum. Sure, he's lost a bit as he's 68 now, but not nearly as much as those in the poll. Heck, even Paul McCartney sings his stuff in the original key and sounds better than the guys in this poll.

Sorry to be harsh, but the folks here don't seem to know much.

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 04:14
Sadly even McCartney struggles these days.

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 11:07
Originally posted by humor4u1959 humor4u1959 wrote:

Honestly, I cannot believe this poll! None of the singers listed can do now what they did 30 years ago. None of them. See, there is a thing called 'lowering the key.'

Jon Anderson cannot sing the old Yes stuff in the original key. And Gabriel? I can't believe he's winning! His voice was shot many years ago, and yes, he's lowered the keys too. Jeez!

Ian Anderson has NO voice left and uses another singer live. So, how can he get any votes? Someone explain all this to me, please.

Plant did the reunion concert in lower keys and still sounded bad. It gets worse as one reads the list.

Given the choices, I had to vote for Wetton, but even he is not as good now. Remember, all these guys are...OLD! REALLY OLD. Their prime has long past.

You want to know who still sings pretty darn good, in the original key, from the 1960's? Gary Brooker from Procol Harum. Sure, he's lost a bit as he's 68 now, but not nearly as much as those in the poll. Heck, even Paul McCartney sings his stuff in the original key and sounds better than the guys in this poll.

I agree with most of what you said, esp re Gabriel.  And I also voted for Wetton but would much rather have had the option of voting for Haslam.  I am curious about Gary Brooker now, will try to check out any new stuff he's done lately, live or otherwise, whenever I can.  I just remembered now that I wanted to mention Kate Bush as an example of a singer whose voice has aged well (though she's not quite so old as these gents).  Another curious omission from the poll. 

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 13:52
I'll go with Wetton.

But seriously, why are so many people naming people not on the poll. Confused He's chosen these 7, is that hard to believe? Would you like him to list every older prog vocalist ever so you can all be happy?

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 13:54

I think everyone (or most) in this thread agrees with you on the fact that they're not up to par. The poll is for who has held up the best, there are no implications of anyone holding up perfectly. He wants to know the best of these 7, you don't have to get all mad because vocalists you want aren't there.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 14:37
^ Nobody here is mad about that.
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

I'll go with Wetton.But seriously, why are so many people naming people not on the poll. Confused He's chosen these 7, is that hard to believe? Would you like him to list every older prog vocalist ever so you can all be happy?
Uhm, ... yeah?

Posted By: DiamondDog
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 17:06
None of them, they were great in their day.

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 18:59

I'll go with Wetton.

But seriously, why are so many people naming people not on the poll.  He's chosen these 7, is that hard to believe? Would you like him to list every older prog vocalist ever so you can all be happy?

Clap

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 19:01
I agree none of them are as good as they were when they were younger but some have the skill or style to deal with it and mask deficiencies better.

-------------

Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 19:49

I'll go with Wetton.

But seriously, why are so many people naming people not on the poll. Confused He's chosen these 7, is that hard to believe? Would you like him to list every older prog vocalist ever so you can all be happy?

With THESE choices, I do find the absence of an other option a bit baffling. 

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 02:22
Apparently John McEnroe could also not believe that 3 people have actually voted for Ian Anderson in this poll.

See below:

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 10:43

I hear and empathize with your passionate remarks. I do think the poll could use a couple more choices, e.g. if Robert Plant is a choice, then Glenn Hughes should be one, and his vocals today systematically crush the others' to dust. Glenn sounds fantastic. Annie Haslam should be on there, too (after all, she's in a prog band).

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 11:30
I think it is ok if he wants a specific answer to a specific question on HIS personal favourite singers and how they have aged...as long as we are allowed to mention singers that we think have aged gracefully and make the discussion a little more interesting. Big smile

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:01
Jon

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:54
Actually. You know who's great and has had a nice steady mature sound to his over the last 12 years is RAY ALDER of FATES WARNING. I vote 'other' for Ray. I mean you listen to his voice by how he sounded on albums NO EXIT and PERFECT SYMETRY and to he sounds so different as to what he sounds like today. He voice certainly has blossomed and matured very gracefully. Love how he sings with REDEMPTION as well, but his best vocal performance with Fates has to be DISCONNECTED. The way he sings on STILL REMAINS is just pure blissful vocal charm. Love it. :)

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 16:32
Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

Jon Anderson is better now than 40 years ago.
Trust me, I saw him with Rick Wakeman and he was fantastic.

I don't know about better but he certainly still sounds great---better than the current singer IMO--and who cares if he sings the songs in a different key--they may have been too high to begin withLOL

Posted By: humor4u1959
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 22:44
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I agree with most of what you said, esp re Gabriel.  And I also voted for Wetton but would much rather have had the option of voting for Haslam.  I am curious about Gary Brooker now, will try to check out any new stuff he's done lately, live or otherwise, whenever I can.  I just remembered now that I wanted to mention Kate Bush as an example of a singer whose voice has aged well (though she's not quite so old as these gents).  Another curious omission from the poll. 

The link below is a short clip of Brooker today, in 2013. Also, you can search You Tube and check him out. There are tons of clips. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C1tTR_AtwU" rel="nofollow - Gary Brooker 2013

P.S. On the right margin of the page are links to live clips of Procol Harum. Gary still sounds great live!

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 04:42
Thanks, much.   Too bad some of the clips have pretty poor audio but from what I could make out, while he has aged, no doubt, he is still singing very well. The thing is, he has a much more attractive voice than maybe all but Daltrey from the singers polled here...very old school pop kind of voice.    And it's held up well all these years.   Your typical prog singer is not necessarily equipped to sing like this anyway, whether in youth or in later years:

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 04:54
He hits that sustained G4 with remarkable strength for someone his age.  Shows that his voice has still retained its tenor character (people who abuse their voice tend to drop a few pitches, which is why they start transposing their songs down for live shows).

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 07:46
That was a great performance from Brooker. He's really still going strong.

Of the singers in the poll I think I'll go with Greg Lake. He hasn't keept his angelic voice from his youth but I think it has aged like a good wine, and now he sounds really sexy. Just like Gary Brooker.

Posted By: Codera the Great
Date Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:51
It was hard for me to choose between Jon Anderson and Peter Gabriel, since they are both in great shape for their age. I guess I'd give the slight edge to Peter Gabriel, since his vocals seem to have aged like fine wine since the early Genesis days really. 

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 05:27
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

same here but i vote my second best as Jon Anderson

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 06:00
Gabriel and Peter Hammill.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 10:08
I think most of the singers on that list still sound good....but I think Plant has found a new niche with his folk-rock material he's being doing the last few years and I like the way he sounds  .....so went with him.

Gabriel hasn't done any music that interests me for a while though he still sounds good.
Daltrey is still doing the same old shtick and his voice has lost it's edge.
Jon Anderson still sounds ok but again nothing he's doing  interests me.
Wetton is still covering the same ground and imo doesn't sound as good as he used to.
I still like Ian Anderson's vocals though he hasn't done a new 'Tull lp' in years and TAAB 2 doesn't do much for me.
And Lake.....well no new good material in years and his voice has lost it's edge.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 10:45
Stevie Wonder

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 11:10
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

I admire all these singers and I know there are many I have overlooked but of these 7 whose vocals do you think have endured the inevitable wear and tear of time with the most credibility and graceful longevity as they move into their later years?

No Peter Hammill!

I'm on STRIKE!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 15:11
And no David Gilmore...........
Confused

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: iamathousandapples
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 22:20
Honestly I'd say...Elton John. But of the choices I think Gabriel

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/thamazingbender" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: October 23 2013 at 07:08
Phil Collins still has it Big-time. :)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window