Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93267
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 22:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cover Art Shabang
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: Cover Art Shabang
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:32
Simple question really - which one of these art works do you prefer?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:38
Laurent Thibault - Mais on ne peut pas rëver tout le temps

I don't know the album neither the artist but I may loose one day watching that picture 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:45
Anyone's Daughter - In Blau
Haven't heard of the band, but I like the cover.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:47
Hassel/Eno: I like the composition of this cover.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:21
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Laurent Thibault - Mais on ne peut pas rëver tout le temps

I don't know the album neither the artist but I may loose one day watching that picture 

Being on the Zehul team you should fix that, Octopus! Although it's not hardcore Zehul it is still beautiful, Highly Recommended stuff!!
Actually it's my pick too followed by Stormy Six and Clearlight. That last one Ef is also beautiful.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:22
I chose LATERALUS. It holds so much meaning to me. Alex Grey is an amazing artist. His NET OF BEING work is off the wall. Anyway. ELP's Brain Salad Surgery comes second.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:30
I'm going with Laurent Thibault , with honorable mention to Egg's "Polite Force". I have a little bit of a bias towards the Thibault possibly because I know and love that album so much, and know how well the art fits with the music.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:41
Went with Brain Salad Surgery, it's always been one of my favorites with it's combination of biological and metal aspects...wonderfully disturbing.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:01
BSS. A haunting and disturbing cover.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 13:13
Fläsket is certainly the funniest here, and the only one I reacted to in that way.

But my vote will be for L'Apprendista

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 13:45
Don't know a thing about the music of Laurent Thibault, but that cover is absolutely gorgeous!

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 17:15
I don't know any Art Zoyd, but that's a mighty fine cover.

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 17:19
Always loved the Lateralus cover.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 17:22
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

It's a mighty fine album as well.

I voted Stadaconé, always loved that cover

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:02
Clearlight Symphony, followed by The Polite Force.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:04
I think i'm going with Ef.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:14
Lateralus has always been one of my favourites, not so keen on the album though. One of the coolest out there for sure. I really like spiritual and biological elements of it.

-------------

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:43
What an odd selection. I have 6 of em.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: April 30 2013 at 23:10
Shabangbang! I'm going with Islands. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 00:26
Máquina - Why?

Terrific.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:41
I am thrilled to see so much love for the Thibault art work, although in all fairness, this is a famous painting done by French naturalist/surrealist Henri Rousseau. It's called Snake Charmer, and perhaps the biggest reason for me acquiring it. I didn't know the first thing about the music...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:44
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Anyone's Daughter - In Blau
Haven't heard of the band, but I like the cover.

That one is indeed beautifulBig smile I love the way it plays around with all those shades of blue.

Here's the closing track off of it:

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:48
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I love it too, and the music literally sounds like the cover - if that's even possible within possible musics (hoho)
I think I wrote something about that in my review actually:  http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=527020" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=527020

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:56
Also see a lot of love for both Lateralus and BSS, although I would have expected no less from these two masterly done covers.
Both share a bio-chemical aspect to them, and whereas the ELP one relies heavily on the kind of metallic futuristics of Giger - that infinitely Alienesque touch that he always had - I think the Tool one infuses warmth and colours into the style, taking away from that ever so cold and clinical surface. 
Love both though!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:01
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Fläsket is certainly the funniest here, and the only one I reacted to in that way.

But my vote will be for L'Apprendista

I kind of expected something like that from you PhilLOL 

Fläsket is so cool - not because of it's inexplicable beauty, but rather in its lack thereof. I think it's so kitsch and overtly bad taste, that it becomes brilliantLOL I have always had a thing for it(gotta love the sausage blowjob happening in the lower right corner.....). 

L'Apprendista however is a fine pick. That maze coupled up with images of a (to me at least) very famous childhood toy also describes the whole feel of this thing quite nicely.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:06
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Yep - two fine albums actually. Quite like the art works too.

Wouldn't have thought you'd have picked Sloche though Colin, although I seem to remember you having a thing for (raw) psychedelia?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:18
Laurent Thibault too. I've always liked Le douanier Rousseau.

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:21
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Clearlight Symphony, followed by The Polite Force.

Oh yeah - that Clearlight cover has been a particular fave of mine for a while. Again, there's quite a bio-mechanical theme to it, although it's a bit more psychedelic and esoteric in expression than the Tool and ELP ones. 

The Polite Force seems like it would've been the perfect art work to a Cream album ca 1967LOL That's probably why I love it so much...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:23
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

Just out of curiosity: what do you mean by 'an odd selection'?(LOL)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:24
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Shabangbang! I'm going with Islands. 

Right on brotherCool
I'll save some shabang for ya and send forth the doggybag asap.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:25
The first classical album I bought. Debussy / Boulez / New philarmonia. Another Rousseau cover.
That music changed my life !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhY0_CYcuU" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhY0_CYcuU

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:27
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Máquina - Why?

Terrific.

You sir have just won a whole lot of respect from me! YES!!! I am crazy about this cover!

Just something about a clock stuffed down a croissant that really speaks to meLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:29
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The first classical album I bought. Debussy / Boulez / New philarmonia. Another Rousseau cover.
That music changed my life !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhY0_CYcuU" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhY0_CYcuU

I love his style. I must admit that I didn't know about the painting being used for other music art works. Thanks Pierre.

First classical piece I ever heard, and fell in love with, was Ravel's BoleroHeart

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:47
You, a lover of the sea, can't miss Debussy.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:48
I went with BSS, but Tool, Laurent Thibault and Art Zoyd are very close behind.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 05:50
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

You, a lover of the sea, can't miss Debussy.

One of those names I've heard thousands of times over the years, yet never really checked out. I probably know a little of his stuff from movies that've featured his work.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wouldn't have thought you'd have picked Sloche though Colin, although I seem to remember you having a thing for (raw) psychedelia?

I like a lot of things

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:44

I like a lot of things

You haven't been infected by Henry yet?Tongue

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:51
Brain Salad Surgery! HR Giger is a twisted genius....

also his Debbie Harry cover art on Koo Koo is incredible and the cover art of Celtic frosts To Mega Therium... I wont mention Dead Kennedys albumDead

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:54
^Don't worry I won't post itLOL but I have to say that I rather like that Dead Kennedys cover... I think it's bizarre and beautiful all at once.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 19:28
I went with COS, i've always liked that one.  One of my favourite albums off the list too.
Those who don't have Laurent Thibault's album should track it down, so beautiful.
Nice list David !

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 20:52
I went with HR Giger's Brain Salad Surgery design. How odd you chose the Islands cover from King Crimson. In the Court of the Crimson King has one of the most arresting covers ever designed.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: bonestorm
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 01:00
Brain Salad Surgery stands out.

-------------
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 08:26

Are you suggesting it is not? Shocked

I thought it was intentionally odd. Most have very little in common with each other. Some are iconic, but most are very obscure. Maybe not to some of you, but I've immersed myself pretty deeply in album cover art and I've never seen some of them. I'm not saying it's odd in a bad way by any means, I find it very interesting. I was thinking of starting an album cover review thread but I suspect it's been done before and being new here I don't want to be embarrassed Embarrassed

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 10:23
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I went with COS, i've always liked that one.  One of my favourite albums off the list too.
Those who don't have Laurent Thibault's album should track it down, so beautiful.
Nice list David !

Thanks man!
And I'm glad someone voted for those beautiful orange hipposLOL The vinyl cover does omit another more 'rugged'(for lack of a better word)quality to it though - something that sadly isn't reflected in any of the pics I've seen of it over the net.

How you doing buddy? Has your body finally adjusted to the new work?Tongue

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I went with HR Giger's Brain Salad Surgery design. How odd you chose the Islands cover from King Crimson. In the Court of the Crimson King has one of the most arresting covers ever designed.

I change my mind about which KC art work I love the most on a weekly basis. In the Court, Poseidon, Lizard, Larks' Tongues and Islands are all faves.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 10:39

Are you suggesting it is not? Shocked

I thought it was intentionally odd. Most have very little in common with each other. Some are iconic, but most are very obscure. Maybe not to some of you, but I've immersed myself pretty deeply in album cover art and I've never seen some of them. I'm not saying it's odd in a bad way by any means, I find it very interesting. I was thinking of starting an album cover review thread but I suspect it's been done before and being new here I don't want to be embarrassed Embarrassed

By all means go aheadSmile I think it's when the same people, who've been here for years, continue to make the same kind of threads - that gets on the nerves of folks. 
I gather most around this place know how they were, when they first joined and made small mistakes - so don't worry bout nothing of thatWink
-And especially if you have some interesting input to some well-known(or perhaps more exotic) cover arts, then why shouldn't you do it? 

Regarding the poll: Don't know about intentionally odd, but I purposely chose a wide variety of different styles that I dig, instead of keeping things too red-threaded. Eclectic is the word I'm looking for... I like a lot of different things - be that in art, music, food or what I read - it's just down to the given day or mood really.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 10:41
Just a reminder of what's to choose from for those of you who don't want to zig zag too much between pagesTongue

Simple question really - which one of these art works do you prefer?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 10:53
I like the Cos too.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 11:27
Electric Sandwich

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:10
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I thought that was GIGER's work!! Yeah. Nice. Love his work on ALIEN

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 14:39
I noticed the String Driven Thing and the Holger Czukay images dropped off somehow. At least they aren't showing up for me, but they were earlier. Could be because I'm at work and we have this blasted Barracuda thing that prevents us from seeing naughty bits and sometimes not-naughty bits get mistaken for naughty bits.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:40
The Brain Salad Surgery LP cover was way cool.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 00:58
As a Spanish I have a soft spot for Maquina's Why? surrealistic yet minimalist croissant cover, but my vote goes to Brain Salad, although I also love the classicism of Novalis'.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:07
Egg - The Polite Force, followed by ELP, KC and Clearlight.

-------------

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 07:21
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I like that one too.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 20:30

Nice list David !

Thanks man!
And I'm glad someone voted for those beautiful orange hipposLOL The vinyl cover does omit another more 'rugged'(for lack of a better word)quality to it though - something that sadly isn't reflected in any of the pics I've seen of it over the net.

No it hasn't.  LOL  Feeling pain tonight after a long day of slugging it.  Funny thing is that I feel good about myself. Plus I haven't been this weight(under 200 pounds) for about 13 years. I feel good but my body still complains if that makes any sense.Confused

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 06:20

Nice list David !

Thanks man!

No it hasn't.  LOL  Feeling pain tonight after a long day of slugging it.  Funny thing is that I feel good about myself. Plus I haven't been this weight(under 200 pounds) for about 13 years. I feel good but my body still complains if that makes any sense.Confused

LOLThe artist formerly known as Sinkadotintree now available as a portable beach hunk....

I do know how that feels though - that sense of your body aching all over whilst still omitting a feel good vibe that seems to follow all hard labour. Honest work, as my granddad would put it. When I'm swinging his old lumberjack axe to help him prepare for winter - I always catch a glimpse in his eyes, that reveals how proud he is of me. Maybe that's a thing of the past, but the older people on my mother's side all seem to subscribe to this line of thinking.
Hey btw John, you may wanna check out some Tai Chi to get that body of yours feeling better and more flexibleWink

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 06:22
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Electric Sandwich

And finally somebody voted for the sandwich - thank you good sirClap
It's messy, avantguarde, kinda yucky and yet I've really come to appreciate it. 
Nice pick.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 06:43
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

As a Spanish I have a soft spot for Maquina's Why? surrealistic yet minimalist croissant cover, but my vote goes to Brain Salad, although I also love the classicism of Novalis'.

I am actually still making up my mind about this, but you mention at least two of my faves in your post GerardSmile I too am really smitten by the classicism of Novalis Sommerabend - in fact I'd venture as far as to say that the style is a clearcut rendition of the art nouveau creeping up in music covers around a decade before this album. 
Whatever tag one wishes to throw at it - it sure is beautiful.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 07:47

I am actually still making up my mind about this, but you mention at least two of my faves in your post GerardSmile I too am really smitten by the classicism of Novalis Sommerabend - in fact I'd venture as far as to say that the style is a clearcut rendition of the art nouveau creeping up in music covers around a decade before this album. 

I can't help loving the art nouveau / modernist aesthetics, call me an old-fashioned. Posters, shops, buildings, furniture... it was a great design movement, and of course being Catalan with Gaudi being a top (if not THE top) modernist architect and living in Belgium with Victor Horta a close runner-up, I have some bias towards this wonderful movement.

Regarding Maquina's Why? croissant cover with the alarm clock, just say that although there is a strong popular belief that it represented a symbolic call to Spain to 'wake up from the dictatorship of Franco', its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something surrealistic in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the alarm clock and he liked it. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 07:52

I can't help loving the art nouveau / modernist aesthetics, call me an old-fashioned. Posters, shops, buildings, furniture... it was a great design movement, and of course being Catalan with Gaudi being a top (if not THE top) modernist architect and living in Belgium with Victor Horta a close runner-up, I have some bias towards this wonderful movement.

Regarding Maquina's Why? croissant cover with the alarm clock, just say that although there is a strong popular belief that it represented a symbolic call to Spain to 'wake up from the dictatorship of Franco', its author bassist Jordi Batiste explained that it was not so intentional, he just wanted to do something surrealist in the style of Dali, he took some croissants he bought from the bakery and started playing with them, pinched them with screwdrivers, electric switches etc until he came up with the alarm clock and he liked it. The popular interpretation was nice but reality was more mundane.

Well in that case then I guess you can call me old-fashioned as wellLOL I love the arts from around the same time. Something quite beautiful and illustrious happened back then - something that didn't only show its face in music.

Thanks for the insight into that Maquina cover too. I had no idea. Just goes to show that we learn something new every day - well we can try now can't weTongue 
Thanks again Gerard. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 07:03
I forgot to voteLOL

I'm going with Horrific Child on this one, but there are so many that I could've voted for.
I just love the strangeness of this one. This is a bigger version of it:

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk