Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93312
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 16:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2013, the rebirth of Neoprog?
Posted By: Aragon
Subject: 2013, the rebirth of Neoprog?
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:09
I wonder if we can consider 2013 the reborn of neoprog, because there are over 18 albums released just now vs 17 of progressive metal!!!ClapClapClapClap

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow - picture hosting

Replies:
Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:18
Sold is more important than released Wink

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:34
Is Justin Beiber Neoprog or Prog Metal?

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Larree
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:38
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Neither.  Justin is neoprogapopadelicexpialidocious.  You have to BELIEB!  Cool  LOL  LOL  Beer

-------------
http://larree.ws" rel="nofollow - The Larree (dot) Website

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:48
Rebirth

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 16:58
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Rebirth

I knew you'd pick up on that one.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 17:57
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Neither.  Justin is neoprogapopadelicexpialidocious.  You have to BELIEB!  Cool  LOL  LOL  Beer

What, he's not supercalifragilistic? LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 19:21
Neo-neo-prog 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: javier0889
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 20:48
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Sold  Better is more important than released Wink

Fixed. 
And probably the re-release of Marillion'S Radiation is probably a good thing for neoprog fans this year!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 20:57
I'd love to see more people turned into that true Neo-Prog from the 80s, Marillion, IQ, Pallas, Twelfth Night, etc. I just can't get why every bloody hipster here in Ukraine (I believe you folks got the same situation in the area you live in, the internets made all youth equal, didn't they) knows all Post-Punk from Joy Division to The Sound or even more obscure bands. But when it comes to other 80s gems, the same way romantic and touching as his "Garlands" or "Strange Times", all brilliant albums if you ask me, he just didn't know them. And don't want to. Looks like you just can't tumblr sad pictures with Fish, he's not instagrammable. Darn posers!

But what we see now is mostly New Prog Renaissance, with Steven Wilson in Billboard and Marillion selling out their tours. That's lovely

Posted By: Fox On The Rocks
Date Posted: May 03 2013 at 23:16
Yeah, lets not.

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 02:38
I didn't really like the Comedy of Errors album, which was disappointing, as Disobey is pretty good for some of it. I recall liking that free mp3 on their page, from the '88 release, as well (ah, it's not there anymore).

I don't think I'd count Lifesigns, Big Big Train or even Thieves' Kitchen (at least from '08 onward) as neo. Other than that I dunno what is out.

Hmm, I like tracks 4 and 9 off the new album. This actually gets more symphonic than Disobey. My overall view might well change.

Posted By: Aragon
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 04:02
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

I'd love to see more people turned into that true Neo-Prog from the 80s, Marillion, IQ, Pallas, Twelfth Night, etc. I just can't get why every bloody hipster here in Ukraine (I believe you folks got the same situation in the area you live in, the internets made all youth equal, didn't they) knows all Post-Punk from Joy Division to The Sound or even more obscure bands. But when it comes to other 80s gems, the same way romantic and touching as his "Garlands" or "Strange Times", all brilliant albums if you ask me, he just didn't know them. And don't want to. Looks like you just can't tumblr sad pictures with Fish, he's not instagrammable. Darn posers!

But what we see now is mostly New Prog Renaissance, with Steven Wilson in Billboard and Marillion selling out their tours. That's lovely

Yeah many bands are turning on that true neoprog, like Silver key, Credo and Comedy of Errors, but inserting new modern chiches

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow - picture hosting

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 06:01
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All "neo prog" is/was is a name given to a bunch of bands who set up in the early 1980's taking their influences from "classic" prog bands. To describe new or modern bands as such is simply ridiculous.

Further, virtually all of those bands who came to prominence at the time no longer make music that sounds anything like it did 30 years ago. Good, neither should it. The best of these bands see progressive rock music not as a box with which to fit in and be constrained, but, rather, as a philosophy, a way of doing things, and, crucially, of doing things differently. To have the freedom to make music that is intelligent and free from record industry manipulation, and pedants pre-conceived bias and perceptions.

I would rather not start yet another argument about sub-genres (honestly!), but people really do need to start understanding these matters a bit better.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 12:18
Lazland, well said!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 12:52
Hi,
TOTAL BS!

You guys just have not heard "The Trip" yet ... you might reconsider your words!

Review upcoming!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 05:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. All "neo prog" is/was is a name given to a bunch of bands who set up in the early 1980's taking their influences from "classic" prog bands. To describe new or modern bands as such is simply ridiculous.

but what about RED SAND, whose sound and manner is 99% MARILLION circa "Misplaced Childhood"? If Post-Pink has its Revival bands (INTERPOL and the bunch), why Neo-Prog wouldn't? I'd love to hear something in that vein, not just another DREAM THEATER/FLOWER KINGS-influenced band which claims they're Neo-Prog

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 06:09

but what about RED SAND, whose sound and manner is 99% MARILLION circa "Misplaced Childhood"?

In which case, they would be a retro or revival bandWink

-------------

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 14:15
It's funny, neo-prog is simultaneously my favourite and least favourite subgenre. I haven't heard many of the 2013 ones, but I really like The Aurora Project's metal/neo hybrid.

I think, like symphonic, it's had its time and it should go, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying new releases. Modern symphonic I just can't handle at all though.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 14:46

Except for some exceptions (Magenta Seven for example), I tend to agree

Further, virtually all of those bands who came to prominence at the time no longer make music that sounds anything like it did 30 years ago. Good, neither should it. The best of these bands see progressive rock music not as a box with which to fit in and be constrained, but, rather, as a philosophy, a way of doing things, and, crucially, of doing things differently. To have the freedom to make music that is intelligent and free from record industry manipulation, and pedants pre-conceived bias and perceptions.

This is frightening me, I agree again: LOL

1.- Pendragon ceased to be Neo Prog a few years ago, they are siome sort of Eclectic with Symphonioc and Hard Rock tendencies.

2.- Marillion is no longer Prog at all. (At least IMHO)

3.- Millenium just released Ego, which has more in common wityh Pink Floy and Symphonic rather with the classic Neo sound of the 80's

4.- Lifesigns, Some sort of Neo/Crossover combo

I would rather not start yet another argument about sub-genres (honestly!), but people really do need to start understanding these matters a bit better.

Third agreement in the day.

I listen bands independently of the genre, but hey, this categorization helps a lot when knowing what are you searching for.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

2.- Marillion is no longer Prog at all

check "Gaza" from their recent album, when you have 17 spare minutes of your time

Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 16:13
just glanced at http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?ssubgenres=18&salbumtypes=1&syears=2012&scountries=&sminratings=0&smaxratings=0&sminavgratings=0&smaxresults=100&x=88&y=13#list" rel="nofollow - Neo-Prog's 2012 Top , same old, same old (with BAROCK PROJECT being hardly Neo-Prog musically). But there are some lovely NEW bands out there, which are carrying the genre's torch like ALSO EDEN. Any recommendations of that kind?

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 16:31

check "Gaza" from their recent album, when you have 17 spare minutes of your time

I heard it.

It's well crafted POP IMO

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: May 05 2013 at 19:29
I'm listening to Comedy Of Errors (Fanfare And Fantasy) for the first time right now.  I would say it's some quite tasty neo-prog stuff! Somewhat reminiscent of 90s Pendragon, if I had to put a label on it.

As for Marillion since Seasons End, Crossover for sure...

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 03:11

I heard it.

I hate to break our cycle of agreement Ivan, but you are, I think, very wrong about Marillion. They remain, to me, one of the finest progressive bands in the world.

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 03:44

I heard it.

I hate to break our cycle of agreement Ivan, but you are, I think, very wrong about Marillion. They remain, to me, one of the finest progressive bands in the world.
I'm with Ivan since after having bought Afraid Of Sunlight.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 14:46
Ambient-rock is not prog. Even when it gets all cathartic.

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 18:39

I really wish I could get into neoprog.  i've tried with IQ and Marillion and i feel like i'm really missing out, but it just does nothing for me.  Is there an aspect i should focus on to get into?  i like the keys and guitar to some extent and the 80s sound on those early albums really isn't that bad.  advice?Unhappy

-------------
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt

Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 19:01
IQ got better later on. "Dark Matter" is the ultimate, but "Ever" is also very good.

Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 00:45
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I really wish I could get into neoprog.  i've tried with IQ and Marillion and i feel like i'm really missing out, but it just does nothing for me.  Is there an aspect i should focus on to get into?  i like the keys and guitar to some extent and the 80s sound on those early albums really isn't that bad.  advice?Unhappy

I think you should concentrate on those times more. Neo-Prog is a very 80s movement, from "Forgotten Sons" signature lyrics to these cheesy keyboard tones. I tend to see it in that very vein, on par with THE CURE, THE SMITHS and TEARS FOR FEARS, if you ask me. The only thing different was the influences, post-punkers liked Bowie and THE CLASH, neo-proggers liked Hammil and GENESIS, and everybody loved PINK FLOYD So the key to get into that particular Prog genre is to think outside the "prog" box, I guess

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 15:24
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

IQ got better later on. "Dark Matter" is the ultimate, but "Ever" is also very good.

they got more professional but not necessarily 'better'. I still believe Tales From The Lush Attic and The Wake to be the equal of Frequency and Dark Matter. The earlier albums are more inspired but lack on production values. Frequency is the most polished album I've heard from anyone in a very long time except maybe Martin Orford's The Old Road.

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 15:37
Neo-prog to me, simply put, symphonic prog in structure but without being rooted in 1970's technology / lyrical concepts.  The three 'classic' Neo bands, IQ, Marillion and Pendagon have evolved their sound over the years to match technology.  The twelve strings have been replaced by distorted heavily effected sweeping guitars, the Mellotrons and organs have been replaced by modern keyboard technology.  Gone are the sweeping tales of elves and mythical creatures replaced by modern gritty tales of love or urban noir.  You can watch the progression of those three bands as their careers evolved, stylistically the music is somewhat similar (Marillion being the exception) but the sound is totally different and has progressed over the years.  The Neo classic bands have evolved and with it, so has the genre.  Yes, I have no problem what so ever including a brand new band in the Neo genre if it fits what the genre has evolved to.

Yeah, when it was initially labeled, it was a few bands but as those pioneers evolved, so did the definition of the genre.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 19:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

they got more professional but not necessarily 'better'. I still believe Tales From The Lush Attic and The Wake to be the equal of Frequency and Dark Matter. The earlier albums are more inspired but lack on production values. Frequency is the most polished album I've heard from anyone in a very long time except maybe Martin Orford's The Old Road.

I maybe agree on Tales from the Lush Attic. It's a lovely album. The Wake sounds well... not quite as lush! It seems a bit sparse to me now, anyway, as I recall.

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 23:01
Progjester-thanks for the input.

Roland-excellent, excellent explanation of neoprog. it all makes sense now. Wink

-------------
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:28

I maybe agree on Tales from the Lush Attic. It's a lovely album. The Wake sounds well... not quite as lush! It seems a bit sparse to me now, anyway, as I recall.

its meant to be although I reckon IQ never bettered Widows Peak and The Magic Roundabout for sheer raw emotional power

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:34
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Neo-prog to me, simply put, symphonic prog in structure but without being rooted in 1970's technology / lyrical concepts.  The three 'classic' Neo bands, IQ, Marillion and Pendagon have evolved their sound over the years to match technology.  The twelve strings have been replaced by distorted heavily effected sweeping guitars, the Mellotrons and organs have been replaced by modern keyboard technology.  Gone are the sweeping tales of elves and mythical creatures replaced by modern gritty tales of love or urban noir.  You can watch the progression of those three bands as their careers evolved, stylistically the music is somewhat similar (Marillion being the exception) but the sound is totally different and has progressed over the years.  The Neo classic bands have evolved and with it, so has the genre.  Yes, I have no problem what so ever including a brand new band in the Neo genre if it fits what the genre has evolved to.

Yeah, when it was initially labeled, it was a few bands but as those pioneers evolved, so did the definition of the genre.

The neo prog bands always used gritty emotional themes. The lyrics were a lot more meaningfull to me as they dealt with horrid feelings that I was having at the time (early eighties) as I tried to grow into a man. Misplaced Childhood was freighteningly good as were the first couple of IQ albums. I think gradually these bands have lost their emotional edge but have replaced it with more polished , well produced albums. They understand their audience well. The idea of evolution is totally a matter of opinion. I see it as change that is not better but I'm happy to go with it all the same. I would rather Marillion and IQ still existed than not.

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:43
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I'm listening to Comedy Of Errors (Fanfare And Fantasy) for the first time right now.  I would say it's some quite tasty neo-prog stuff! Somewhat reminiscent of 90s Pendragon, if I had to put a label on it.As for Marillion since Seasons End, Crossover for sure...

Agreed cause albums like MARBLES and BRAVE, which are MARILLIONS best I find with HOGARTH, seem to not have that Neo feel to it. Doesn't sound symphonic to me in anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:48

My man. You forgot ARENA. They are among the major 3 where by I would put them ahead of PENDRAGON in a heart beat. Good point though. Interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:54

The neo prog bands always used gritty emotional themes. The lyrics were a lot more meaningfull to me as they dealt with horrid feelings that I was having at the time (early eighties) as I tried to grow into a man. Misplaced Childhood was freighteningly good as were the first couple of IQ albums. I think gradually these bands have lost their emotional edge but have replaced it with more polished , well produced albums. They understand their audience well. The idea of evolution is totally a matter of opinion. I see it as change that is not better but I'm happy to go with it all the same. I would rather Marillion and IQ still existed than not.

IQ are just brilliant when it comes to lyrical themes and meanings in their music. You want to talk about about music that looks right into your the heart of your core being listen to the albums Subterenea, the seventh house, Ever andThe wake and after you do you'll be a changed man. Speaking to you Mr. Rolland cause I know Richard already has. Enjoy if you already haven't. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 14:57

I heard it.

Well they (MARILLION) are still prog just a different breed of prog. Theya re not NEO anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 15:06

Except for some exceptions (Magenta Seven for example), I tend to agree
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">

</span>Further, virtually all of those bands who came to prominence at the time no longer make music that sounds anything like it did 30 years ago. Good, neither should it. The best of these bands see progressive rock music not as a box with which to fit in and be constrained, but, rather, as a philosophy, a way of doing things, and, crucially, of doing things differently. To have the freedom to make music that is intelligent and free from record industry manipulation, and pedants pre-conceived bias and perceptions.<span style="line-height: 1.2;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">This is frightening me, I agree again: LOL</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">1.- Pendragon ceased to be Neo Prog a few years ago, they are siome sort of Eclectic with Symphonioc and Hard Rock tendencies.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">2.- Marillion is no longer Prog at all. (At least IMHO)</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">3.- Millenium just released Ego, which has more in common wityh Pink Floy and Symphonic rather with the classic Neo sound of the 80's</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">4.- Lifesigns, Some sort of Neo/Crossover combo</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">

</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">I would rather not start yet another argument about sub-genres (honestly!), but people really do need to start understanding these matters a bit better.</span>
Third agreement in the day.
I listen bands independently of the genre, but hey, this categorization helps a lot when knowing what are you searching for.
Iván 

I love that ARENA and IQ have kept their roots strong over the years, although ARENA's last release didn't sound like the Arena of old. Somewhat more commercial sounding.

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 15:22

Oh, agreed, I was just trying to point out the differences between Symphonic and Neo, you're spot on, IQ never had the 'elves and organs' themes going for them.  Also, I agree with you in that they have a less emotional sound and a more polished sound.  I attribute that to technological advancements in music instrumentation and recording.  

In my mind, there is a different mindset between Neo and Symph, a Neo band is going to get giddy at the release of the latest keyboard technology and run out, get it and push it to the edge.  A Symph band is going to be giddy about recording their latest album entirely using tube amplifiers on analog recording equipment.  It's more about the actual sound.  The Neo sound continues to evolve as technology evolves.  

Evolution is just the process of change, not necessarily an improvement over the previous iteration, that's a matter of personal opinion, I'm just saying that the sound evolves as technology evolves.

-------------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 15:25
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

My man. You forgot ARENA. They are among the major 3 where by I would put them ahead of PENDRAGON in a heart beat. Good point though. Interesting.

I love Arena, more than all three of the bands that I referenced, I didn't use them in my example was because their first album wasn't released until 1995, a decade after the other three.  Contagion is frequently found in my top five CD's list.

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 15:28
Can we say that IQ are the kings of Neo prog? Too bold? I think they've been so consistant since 1993 by keeping their sound in check with the Neo genre itself and expanding it beautifully. FREQUENCY was brilliant! Modern Neo at its best!! Lol

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 08 2013 at 16:40

Can we say that IQ are the kings of Neo prog? Too bold? I think they've been so consistant since 1993 by keeping their sound in check with the Neo genre itself and expanding it beautifully. FREQUENCY was brilliant! Modern Neo at its best!! Lol
I think that they deserve that statement, a long history of releasing excellent Neo indeed. If I should explain what Neo is to somebody, I guess that nothing better than playing IQ to him.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 01:18

Oh, agreed, I was just trying to point out the differences between Symphonic and Neo, you're spot on, IQ never had the 'elves and organs' themes going for them.  Also, I agree with you in that they have a less emotional sound and a more polished sound.  I attribute that to technological advancements in music instrumentation and recording.  

In my mind, there is a different mindset between Neo and Symph, a Neo band is going to get giddy at the release of the latest keyboard technology and run out, get it and push it to the edge.  A Symph band is going to be giddy about recording their latest album entirely using tube amplifiers on analog recording equipment.  It's more about the actual sound.  The Neo sound continues to evolve as technology evolves.  

Evolution is just the process of change, not necessarily an improvement over the previous iteration, that's a matter of personal opinion, I'm just saying that the sound evolves as technology evolves.

Yep good point about technology although I think symph prog is now less 'techy' than it used to be. Glass Hammer are my favourite modern symph prog band and Fred Schendel's keyboard sound is the same now as it was 10 years ago to my ears. The band has evolved around him and Steve Babb with various line up changes. However I do look for evolution in musical composition and tend to ignore the tech side.Bands that rely only on technology can be dull dull dullSmile

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 07:42

Yep good point about technology although I think symph prog is now less 'techy' than it used to be. Glass Hammer are my favourite modern symph prog band and Fred Schendel's keyboard sound is the same now as it was 10 years ago to my ears. The band has evolved around him and Steve Babb with various line up changes. However I do look for evolution in musical composition and tend to ignore the tech side.Bands that rely only on technology can be dull dull dullSmile

Thanks, and yeah, your Glass Hammer comment fits exactly into what I'm saying.  In my mind, that is exactly why Glass Hammer is Symphonic and not Neo.

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 07:44
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I think that they deserve that statement, a long history of releasing excellent Neo indeed. If I should explain what Neo is to somebody, I guess that nothing better than playing IQ to him.

Concurred.  I have long considered IQ the prototypical Neo-Prog band rather than Marillion.

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 10:56
I agree with Lazland about Marillion!! They sound like Marillion; they have their own sound and don't fit the criteria that most people use to define prog!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 10:57
I would agree that IQ is probably the finest example of neo-prog left. Their last 3-4 albums have been classic neo IMO.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 10:59
Furthermore, if Gaza is well-crafted pop then please let's have more pop that sounds like that!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: FLAC
Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 15:10
LOL Do you know he/she listens to Janis Joplin interesting right.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 21:39
Guess some of us are in agreement with IQ being at the top of the Totem poll of Neo Prog. I've been looking at the history and I think that they are the most consistant with the genre itself and their music seems to be unmatched. Marillion's Fish years were excellent as well, but that lasted only 4 albums and I think the fab 4 (misplaced Childhood, Script, fugazi, clutching at straws) don't match up against IQ's finest 4, which in my opinion are THE WAKE, Subterranea, The Seventh House and Ever.) I'm just looking at it from a consistency stand point. IQ really have 7 studio gem albums. That's more than any other Neo band I can think of. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 08:22

Guess some of us are in agreement with IQ being at the top of the Totem poll of Neo Prog. I've been looking at the history and I think that they are the most consistant with the genre itself and their music seems to be unmatched. Marillion's Fish years were excellent as well, but that lasted only 4 albums and I think the fab 4 (misplaced Childhood, Script, fugazi, clutching at straws) don't match up against IQ's finest 4, which in my opinion are THE WAKE, Subterranea, The Seventh House and Ever.) I'm just looking at it from a consistency stand point. IQ really have 7 studio gem albums. That's more than any other Neo band I can think of. :)

Yeah, I agree with everything that you've said here.

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 09:46

Behold, the holy Nu New Novel Neo-Prog hath risen, undead indead, therefore praise be to the Lord

Some folks just take their "prog" too religiously - or too scientifically - or both, I'm afraid :)

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:02
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Behold, the holy Nu New Novel Neo-Prog hath risen, undead indead, therefore praise be to the Lord

Some folks just take their "prog" too religiously - or too scientifically - or both, I'm afraid :)

We really need a 'eyeroll' emoticon here.

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 02:12

As much as I am an IQ fan I wouldn't play down Marillion or their post Fish output. I love Seasons End and have been a fan of Hogarth for a long time. His recent album with Richard Barbieri is very beautifull imo.
I also believe Seasons End was vital to the evolution of neo prog as a genre. That was released in 1989 a full 3 years before IQ's Ever and I'm sure IQ gained some ideas from what Marillion were doing. In fact I would go as far to say that Marillion have pushed neo further forward than IQ although purely on listening and taste I tend to gravitate more towards IQ.

Posted By: Second Life Syndrome
Date Posted: May 12 2013 at 07:51
I only really discovered neo-prog last year, and now I'm eating up all this new material!  Some bands I really don't like, but some bands, like Introitus, Riversea, Bader Nana, and Subsignal, are topping my lists.  Introitus is easily one of my top 5 favorite bands!  I'm also eager to discover the original bands from the '80s.  It does seem like a rebirth is happening, and I believe a new golden age of prog may be approaching as well.

Date Posted: May 13 2013 at 14:35

As much as I am an IQ fan I wouldn't play down Marillion or their post Fish output. I love Seasons End and have been a fan of Hogarth for a long time. His recent album with Richard Barbieri is very beautifull imo.
I also believe Seasons End was vital to the evolution of neo prog as a genre. That was released in 1989 a full 3 years before IQ's Ever and I'm sure IQ gained some ideas from what Marillion were doing. In fact I would go as far to say that Marillion have pushed neo further forward than IQ although purely on listening and taste I tend to gravitate more towards IQ.

Interesting, but would you say that Marillion are still modernized symPhonic prog today? I don't think so. Releases like Marbels, Brave and their most recent Sounds that can't made don't sound like Neo prog to me. Marillion sound like a really good progressive rock band to me, which is why IQ get the node for best Neo prog band be ause they have really remained true to the genre itself in their entire 30 year career....well 28 to be exact. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 01:08

Interesting, but would you say that Marillion are still modernized symPhonic prog today? I don't think so. Releases like Marbels, Brave and their most recent Sounds that can't made don't sound like Neo prog to me. Marillion sound like a really good progressive rock band to me, which is why IQ get the node for best Neo prog band be ause they have really remained true to the genre itself in their entire 30 year career....well 28 to be exact. :)

I don't believe the genre is just an extension of Symph prog. It incorporated elements of pop,psyche and even punk as well when it rose from the ashes of seventies based prog. Atmosphere and emotion were vital elements and Marillion have carried on that 'tradition' extremely well. IQ are.. well just IQ. They do being IQ better than anyone elseWink

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 01:35
Don't we have a new Shadowland album from Clive Nolan due sometime soon? I just picked up their debut `Ring of Roses' the other day, and it's a terrific blend of 80's new wave/new romantic styled pop in proper Neo Prog style. Those same kind of darkly romantic/over dramatic lyrics like Fish, only the vocals aren't angry like his .

With so many of the founding bands of this sub-genre having more or less moved on from that style, I actually really hope this one will be purely, proud Neo-Prog!

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Don't we have a new Shadowland album from Clive Nolan due sometime soon? I just picked up their debut `Ring of Roses' the other day, and it's a terrific blend of 80's new wave/new romantic styled pop in proper Neo Prog style.
this IS Neo-Prog, bro, and "Ring of Roses" is one the genre's definitive albums

Btw, just checked COMEDY OF ERRORS new album...these guys literally don't give a prog! They're sounding like it's 1983 and they're the new biggest thing next to MARILLION! Amazing, my top-10 record for 2013's Prog for sure

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:00
Prog-Jester, I was shocked when I first heard that Shadowland album! I thought `Wow, that singer has got a really strong, confident and unique delivery....' and then I looked in the booklet to discover it was actually Clive Nolan singing! I knew the band was his baby, and of course he playing the keyboards as well as writing it, but I had no idea he sung!

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:04
to me SHADOWLAND is way more important band emotionally than both PENDRAGON and ARENA. "Hall of Mirrors" is one of the best epics in neo-Prog ever written, and "Jigsaw" stands on a par with TWELFTH NIGHT's "Love Song" and MARILLION's "Chelsea Monday" and "She Chameleon"

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:05
also check their next two albums, "Through the Looking Glass" is like a sequel to "Ring of Roses", and "Mad As A Hatter" got a bit prog-metallic edge, but still very enjoyable

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:11

I don't believe the genre is just an extension of Symph prog. It incorporated elements of pop,psyche and even punk as well when it rose from the ashes of seventies based prog. Atmosphere and emotion were vital elements and Marillion have carried on that 'tradition' extremely well. IQ are.. well just IQ. They do being IQ better than anyone elseWink

Ok ok. Yes. I would add a few mixes of sound other than just saying Neo prog is modernized symphonic rock. I'd say ambience is a HUGE part of Neo's unique, quality genre. Ambience exists largely in Marillion's sound and I do love that, but can I just say that Galahad are really something special and the album Empires Never Last was a shinning example of perfect Neo prog with a heavier richness to it. Perfect!! It's everything we love about the genre. Ok....I'm putting that album on right now. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:15

to me SHADOWLAND is way more important band emotionally than both PENDRAGON and ARENA. "Hall of Mirrors" is one of the best epics in neo-Prog ever written, and "Jigsaw" stands on a par with TWELFTH NIGHT's "Love Song" and MARILLION's "Chelsea Monday" and "She Chameleon"

Shadowland more important than Arena? Let's not get too carried away.

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:17
Comedy of Errors is the next Neo adventure for me. Hearing great things. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:19
I much prefer Arena to Shadowland, too, Nick!

I definately don't dismss Shadowland at all, and will grab their new album when it shows up!

Tell me, Nick, did you enjoy the last Arena album `The Seventh Degree Of Seperation'?

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:31

I much prefer Arena to Shadowland, too, Nick!

I definately don't dismss Shadowland at all, and will grab their new album when it shows up!

Tell me, Nick, did you enjoy the last Arena album `The Seventh Degree Of Seperation'?

Very different. I feel it's their most commercial sounding release, but the 'prog' factor was not diminished to the point where it was non existent. Paul Manzi is quite a strong vocalist and I really fell in love with the opening track 'the great escape.' it was powerful and to the point. I got huge respect for the way Manzi sings on that one. Overall, I'd give the album a solid 7 out of ten. It grew on me, but I'd like Arena to get back to what they are best at and that is heavy Neo Prog. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:36
I was so disappointed when I first bought it. I thought `Where's the prog?!' lol! But after lots of listens, you see how carefully arraged and put together it is, with a good flow, very melodic and tightly performed. The sheer strenth of the material got it through.

I too hope the next release from them has them back to longer, extended pieces, though, that they keep the Neo-prog flag flying!

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:44

I was so disappointed when I first bought it. I thought `Where's the prog?!' lol! But after lots of listens, you see how carefully arraged and put together it is, with a good flow, very melodic and tightly performed. The sheer strenth of the material got it through.

I too hope the next release from them has them back to longer, extended pieces, though, that they keep the Neo-prog flag flying!

As I said. It was a very different listen, but I knew my ears were quite happy. I could hear the nicely crafted song arrangements in the album overall. It's quality, but we need more MOVIEDROME! Now that's Arena in perfect light!!

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:49
Yep, I think a combincation of the line-up of the current version of the band and the epic tracks of old will provide great results!

Have to say, the third track `One Last Au-Revoir' has a totally killer chorus, with a nice typical/classic Neo solo in the middle!

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 04:06

Yep, I think a combincation of the line-up of the current version of the band and the epic tracks of old will provide great results!

Have to say, the third track `One Last Au-Revoir' has a totally killer chorus, with a nice typical/classic Neo solo in the middle!

Gotta go with Mitchell's wicked guitar solo on Catching the Bullet. You just know its coming!

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 17:45
Meh. Honestly not that stoked about it anymore. But that's really just because my favorite Neo bands (Arena, Marillion, Pendragon, and Pallas) all have released mediocre albums recently. Maybe there are good smaller bands but I'm not into discovering new stuff anymore. At this point I still have hope they'll release a great new album (except Marillion is kinda puttering out more than anyone) and I think IQ and Pallas have new albums coming out late this year or early next.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 17:53
That's a shame, Stonebeard! I did enjoy most of these bands' recent albums (I think Pendragon's `Passion' was my least favourite, even though it eventually kind of grew on me, Nick Barrett and the band just seemed determined to not include much of anything that sounded like classic Pendragon at all ), although as much as I liked them, I guess the recent Arena and Pallas were closer to melodic AOR than proper Neo-prog.

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:14
^ agreed. And I kind of agree with what some of stonebeard said except the part of not wanting to explore more neoprog other than the big 5. I think COMEDY OF ERRORS and EDISON'S CHILDREN are great and exemplary of what true Neo prog is all about. Even AIRBAG is pretty good. I think that Neo is in great shape and I cannot wait till that new IQ album comes out. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:17
Yep, my friend, I say the more Neo, the better! Join in everyone lol!

I've recently bought an Italian Neo band album by Yleclipse, but I'm not exaclty blown away by them. I recently mentioned them in the Italian Den, has anyone heard their new one and can offer some opinions?

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:27
No, but I want in!!!! Lol

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 18:35
I'm not a big fan of it, Nick. The playing is immaculate, very grand Neo prog, and the arrangements would be superb but they are overloaded with vocals/lyrics almost all the time, not enough longer instrumental sections, worse the vocalist (singing in English) kind of runs all his (endless) words together and mumbles. Really annoying. Not feeling the love yet, mate...

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 21:20
I see I see. Well, as good as the musicianship may be I too would have a hard time getting into the music if the vocalist was lousy. It's a tough one, but depending on the type of music you may be able to get away with it, but usually not prog.
Anyway, If you want you can send me some tracks that you do like and I'll give it a listen. :) I'm actually curious to hear some vocals that are driving you a big nuts in the Neo world. Lol

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 21:32
I might do that, see if it's just me and my hang-ups or someone else might pick up on it too! I'm a bit disappointed, because the CD booklet is absolutely with lavish artwork, illustrations and lyrics! I feel bad for not liking it more!

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 22:59

I might do that, see if it's just me and my hang-ups or someone else might pick up on it too! I'm a bit disappointed, because the CD booklet is absolutely with lavish artwork, illustrations and lyrics! I feel bad for not liking it more!

Oh the great deceiver that is art!! Yup. It can lewer you in and sometimes really set you up for disappointment. Lol don't feel bad my friend. It's happened to all us proggers. :)

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 23:15
Well, I didn't buy the album because of the cover art, although when I saw it and the booklet with the beautiful paintings, I probably thought `Oh, this album is going to be AMAZING' lol!

Cue the big comedown....so far. I don't get much to the second half of the CD, so maybe the stuff there is superb. We'll see. I'll send you a few sample tracks when I get home, my friend!

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:23
Nick, what do you think of Arena's `The Visitor'? I know many consider it their classic, but I just don't seem to love it as much as their other albums. Not my favourite Arena vocalist on that one, although many of the instrumental passages are superb!

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:43
^ Hee Hee I guess Paul Wrightson didn't do it for you huh? Yeah, I mean I guess he is no Sowden but the album itself, conceptually, is rather interesting. I like the 'freak alien' who terrorizes a town. Lol. Anyway, musically I really enjoyed tracks such as 'the enemy without, hanging tree, crack in the ice and the epic The Visitor. I'd give it a 4/5. I do like it. Clive Nolan sounds great on it. Solid album to be Micheal, but it's no PRIDE. That's for sure. That album is 5/5 for me. Essential to Neo prog!!

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:56
Hmmm, you've got me very curious, Nick...because I have to shamefully admit.....(here goes) `Pride' is the only Arena album I don't own, or have heard either, for that matter!

Please don't go all Punisher on me and dispense vigilante justice for my guilt!!

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 22:15

Hmmm, you've got me very curious, Nick...because I have to shamefully admit.....(here goes) `Pride' is the only Arena album I don't own, or have heard either, for that matter!

Please don't go all Punisher on me and dispense vigilante justice for my guilt!!

I will not unleash my metal dogs of fury on you.
Micheal, from the bottom of my heart, the album PRIDE is absolute Aces and I cannot wait to hear what you think of it. Great epic track, Sirens on it but it's the rest of the Crying for help tracks that really round out the album. The only draw back is that the vocalist is of the same as the album The Visitor, but I thought Wrightson sounded much better on PRIDE. oh enjoy that one!!

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 18:28

Where were all you guys in the Best Track of 1996 poll, when only about 3 of us voted for Pendragon's "The Shadow," one of the best songs of neo-prog of any year, period. Instead, it looks like Porcupine Tree's Dark Matter's going to win, which, let's face it, wouldn't even make most of our Top 20 Porcupine Tree tracks... Oh well...

Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 18:39
What, `Dark Matter' is a beauty!! One of my favourite PT tracks, and from well before their `heavier'(ie less interesting) phase too!

Sometimes those endless polls do my head in, Jude lol! Exhausting!

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 19:06

What, `Dark Matter' is a beauty!! One of my favourite PT tracks, and from well before their `heavier'(ie less interesting) phase too!

It's good to know people feel that way about that track. I prefer Porcupine Tree, I'm not really a fan of Pendragon, but "The Shadow" is a monster (for me, anyway Big smile)

Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 19:12
Well, `The Masquerade Overture' is a superb Pendragon album, and you're right, that track is wonderful. I really like when Nick sings `And when, the Sandman comes to you...' etc. The only track I don't like is that shorter `The Pursuit of Excellence' lol!

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 23:04
Nick, I wonder if you've heard a wonderful Neo band called Twin Age? They don't exist anymore (to my knowledge), but their first two albums are superb, especially the second one here:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1358" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1358

Here's the first track:

The singer is not the greatest, but still has a very distinctive style!

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 23:09

Absolutely. I agree tenfold!

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 23:25

Nick, I wonder if you've heard a wonderful Neo band called Twin Age? They don't exist anymore (to my knowledge), but their first two albums are superb, especially the second one here:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1358" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1358

Here's the first track:

The singer is not the greatest, but still has a very distinctive style!

hey buddy. This is excellent. I enjoyed this track this very much, but you are right about the singer. To me, he sounds like he is trying very hard to do his best RObert smith impression of the cure. Overall. This is vintage Neo and I love the organ sounding synth at the 6min mark. Thank you for sharing and yes, I've heard of these guys. I've been hovering around the Neo Archives a little bit lately. I admit though, lately I've been a progressive Metal nutcase. Can't get enough.

-------------

Date Posted: June 01 2013 at 01:42
Nick, I just received the latest Arena live DVD, and it's superb! Have to say, Paul Menzi is really good with the band live! He wisely avoids a few of the higher notes that might have been a bit of a risk, but he's very slick and professional.

The stuff they play from `Seventh Degree...' is given a slightly `proggier' mix, Mr Nolan's keyboards nice and thick, Jowitt's bass is really punchy and mixed upfront a lot of the time, and John Mitchell is just a damn guitar star.

Very happy with this purchase!

Date Posted: June 01 2013 at 01:55
^

^ ah THE RAPTURE!!! Consider me all rapt up. Lol
I'm glad you like it. I've had that DVD saved in my Amazon cart for a little while cause I was actually pondering Manzi's performance of weather or not it would irk me to death or not. :)
I may just have to buy it now. Love your enthusiasm for it. :)

-------------

Date Posted: June 01 2013 at 02:10
The Rapture! That's it! I'm at work and couldn't for the life of me remember the title!

Yeah, from the moment Manzi steps on the stage, he's got a great presence, I was realy surprised at good he is on it. He sings the older songs well too!

Do yourself a favour, click that `Check Out' button on Amazon, my friend!

Date Posted: June 11 2013 at 11:00
Has anyone been enjoying Clive Nolan's `Alchemy' prog/stage show/rock opera as much as me?!

Such a lovely gothic and romantic work, so much effort has gone into the lavish production, with interesting characters, wonderful arrangements and flawlessly grand performances!

I think fans of Wakeman's `Journey...' would really go for a lot of this album!

Date Posted: June 11 2013 at 12:28
Ok here's what I'm going to do. I'm gonna listen to you cause I can't deprive myself of these wonderful Neo Releases any longer!   

I'm gonna by the rapture and Clive's Alchemy (spec Ed.) I might throw in the Comedy of Errors albums as well.
I made a little bit of money today. Why not?

I'm clicking yes to life my friend!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk