Print Page | Close Window

Your favorite, everybody's worst (and vice versa)?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Top 10s and lists
Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93488
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 10:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your favorite, everybody's worst (and vice versa)?
Posted By: Melomaniac
Subject: Your favorite, everybody's worst (and vice versa)?
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 13:55
We all have them ; favorites. But sometimes, your favorite album by a band is everyone else's least favorite album... and in some cases, your least favorite album by a band is everybody else's favorite.

Is Giant for a Day your favorite ?
Close to the Edge your least favorite ?

This should be fun !!!

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Replies:
Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:00
Selling England By The Pound is one of my least favorite Genesis albums :O and More Fool Me is probably my favorite song off of it.

Kill me now!!!!! 

hugs

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:05
My favorite (or tied for favorite, at least) Grateful Dead album is "Go to Heaven", which is generally considered an embarrassing failure.

In the short amount of time I've been into the Swedish band Dungen, I've read the most positive reviews for their "breakthrough" album Ta Det Lugnt, but that's probably my least favorite of their six albums, at least right now.  I still rank it very highly (I'd probably give it 3.5 stars).

For The Guess Who (sorry, not a prog band, but I'm on a roll here), their most popular album (American Woman) is my least favorite, at least from the 10 or so albums with Burton Cummings prior to his original split from the group.

I will confess it's hard to really definitively say which albums are "most favorite" and "least favorite" among the populace at large, with most bands anyway.  So this is all conjecture just for fun, because making generalizations is actually very fun to do , even as we admit they're usually incorrect.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:08
According to the ratings on this very site, Octane by Spock's Beard is everyone's least favorite, but it is my favorite ! Actually, except for Feel Euphoria, I prefer the NDV period over the Neal Morse period. Shocked

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:15
I probably should put a bulletproof vest and helmet on for this one, but I HATE Dream Theater's Scenes from A Memory ! 

-------------

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:48
I know it's not so strange to say so on a prog website, but my favorite JT album is A Passion Play and my least favorite is Aqualung. I haven't heard all of them, but of those I have Aqualung is totally unappealing to me. APP has the least amount of the folk traits that I find obnoxious.

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:20
Not prog, but I've seen Metallica being mentioned from time to time in different threads so I thought I could bring them up. Now, I'm not a fan, not a bit, I find them excruciatingly boring. With one exception, St. Anger. The album the true fans absolutely hates. LOL I think it's rather interesting. Sounds like they've been listening to Tool.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:26
^Me too. It always cracks me up that people whine about how whiny it is. LOL

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:26
I'm REALLY not a fan of most symph bands.

Also, Islands is probably my favorite King Crimson records (a lot of people name it their least favorite of the classic Crimson era)

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:30
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

I'm REALLY not a fan of most symph bands.

Also, Islands is probably my favorite King Crimson records (a lot of people name it their least favorite of the classic Crimson era)
And I am one of those, good sir ! Cannot stand Islands AND Lizard.

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:31
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Close to the Edge your least favorite ?

I would say yes, but Yes have several albums that are worse even than that

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:33
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Not prog, but I've seen Metallica being mentioned from time to time in different threads so I thought I could bring them up. Now, I'm not a fan, not a bit, I find them excruciatingly boring. With one exception, St. Anger. The album the true fans absolutely hates. LOL I think it's rather interesting. Sounds like they've been listening to Tool.
I've always liked Metallica, but unlike "true" fans, I do like St. Anger also. Talk about Reload though, THAT is a load of crap !

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:36
Evil Smile

1) I love Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut".
2) My favorite Tull album is "A Passion Play".
3) My favorite Yes member solo album is Steve Howe's "Beginnings" and I love Steve Howe's vocals.
4) I can't stand Tony Levin's bass playing.
5) I think "Discipline" is one of the worst King Crimson albums ever.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 16:09
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Evil Smile

... I love Steve Howe's vocals...

My early nomination for this thread's masochism award.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 16:14
1) I am passionately in love with Gentle Giant's The Missing Piece
2) My least favorite Gentle Giant album is Three Friends, to me, it sounds uninspired
3) My least favorite King Crimson album is Red
4) I am passionately in love with the album You Can Help Me by Jail, dissed by proggers as not prog enough, but it works wonders for me
5) I love Wallenstein's No More Love album incredibly, and think it is just about the best thing they ever did.
6) My favorite album that is not full blown prog, but could be described as prog-related or Crossover Prog is Helmut Koellen's solo album You Won't See Me. Not considered so, and refused inclusion to PA.
7) Just about my all time favorite PFM album is Chocolate Kings, so many bad things said about it, but for me, the band are firing on all six cylinders on that record!
8) Very fond of the Wallenstein album Stories, Songs and Symphonies.
9) Though not prog, Budgie's album Power Supply has got to be the best NWOBHM sounding record from the early 80s.

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

7) Just about my all time favorite PFM album is Chocolate Kings, so many bad things said about it, but for me, the band are firing on all six cylinders on that record!

I think Chocolate Kings is a great album.  I love the lyrics to "From Under"...

"So providence called her last friend
 Heroin the charming ocean
 Patient enough for every problem 
 Silent enough to drown so many good friends"

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: RedNightmareKing
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 17:16
1. I think Islands is one of the better KC records.
2. I prefer DT's Falling Into Infinity over Awake.
3. I think Morningrise is one of Opeth's best albums, second only to Blackwater Park.
4. I found Isis's Oceanic better than Panopticon.
5. Sounds that Can't Be Made is actually a solid Marillion album.
6. (prog related) I prefer LZ's Houses of the Holy over IV.

-------------
I consider drone metal to be progressive...

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 17:17
I have "out of the (prog) mainstream" tastes with a lot of bands.  Presto and Vapor Trails are my two favorite Rush albums.  I quite like 90125, and Octahedron (TMV) is my favorite album of all time.  ADToE is my favorite DT as well; even though quite a few people like it I don't see it at the top of many lists.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 17:39
I remember a thread like this though I can't remember it's name. Oh well.

KC - Earthbound (one of my favorites from the band)
Genesis - FGTR (one of my favorites from the band)
PF - Final Cut, More (-"-)

I might think of more.
Originally posted by RedNightmareKing RedNightmareKing wrote:

1. I think Islands is one of the better KC records.2. I prefer DT's Falling Into Infinity over Awake.3. I think Morningrise is one of Opeth's best albums, second only to Blackwater Park.4. I found Isis's Oceanic better than Panopticon.5. Sounds that Can't Be Made is actually a solid Marillion album.6. (prog related) I prefer LZ's Houses of the Holy over IV.

I thought every Opeth studio album, from Morningrise through Watershed, is considered to be their classic stuff.

Posted By: RedNightmareKing
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 17:46
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I thought every Opeth studio album, from Morningrise through Watershed, is considered to be their classic stuff.

To each their own, I feel like the classic era started with Still Life and ended with Ghost Reveries. Still a raging Opeth fanboy though.

-------------
I consider drone metal to be progressive...

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 17:58
Always loved Crimson's Islands and Lizard
Hated Transatlantic's The Whirlwind

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 18:04
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

+1

I also love Magma's Attaahk and Udu Wudu.

And Krautrock  Cool

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 18:29
Mmmmm.

- I love A Momentary Lapse of Reason;
- Foxtrot is my least favorite Genesis album (with PG or SH);
- I prefer Fish Out of Water to any other Yes-related album;
- I really dislike In Absentia;
- I like Merci.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 18:43

Not sure that's so strange...Wink...the only unusual like from the 60's/70's Crimson albums is "Earthbound"...(though I must say the Earthbound version of Schizoid Man is one of my favorites, it's all the Boz scat-singing and pointless Mel Collins soloing on Peoria and Earthbound I can't stand).

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 20:35

<span style="line-height: 1.2;"> Silent enough to drown so many good friends"</span>
Love it-
"Even sad, even dying of sadness
They are the winners, beautiful winners
They are the land of your fall"

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 21:12
I prefer most KC albums to Court.
Hold Your Fire is one of my favorite Rush albums.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 21:13
SMPTe might be considered the worst Transatlantic, but All of the Above eliminates that possibility. The Whirlwind is clearly the weakest. ? is the worst solo Neal Morse. His usual melodicity is replaced by metal riffage (luckily these two things coexisted pretty well in Sola Scriptura).

MDK is totally obnoxious, and I can't fathom why anyone would disagree with that. Magma has always been gimmicky, but that aspect of the band reaches it's peak there. Easily one of their worst albums. Their recent albums have been very good though (not that this view is unpopular).

I know a guy who considers Thrakattak the greatest Crimson.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 22:14
Under Wraps

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 22:24
What's wrong with Giant for a Day?

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 00:46
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

What's wrong with Giant for a Day?

It's a complete sell-out. Apart from that it's alright. (Geez, I've said that kind of thing over and over again about GfaD haven't I?) LOL

Salad Days is the lowest rated Cheer-Accident album here. It happens to be my favourite, or tied with one or two others. (Damn, I think I've said that a few times before too) 

I much prefer Danger Money over U.K

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 00:58
I really like 90125 even though it's not my favorite. I think Moving Pictures is sorta weak however, even though it's still a great album.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 01:37
I prefer Post Gabriel era Genesis (especially up to 1980). Never cared for Trespass and Nursery Cryme and now find SEBPT and TLLDOB a bit boring to be honest. There's still Foxtrot though thankfully.

I don't much like anything Tangerine Dream did pre Ricochet (1975) but like a lot of albums they'me made in the last ten years. Purgatorio is probably my favourite.

Seasons End is my favourite Marillion album

I find Dark Side of The Moon a bit boring

I rate Par Lindh Project as the best Symph prog band post seventies and why Veni Vidi Vici isn't regarded alongside Close To The Edge and Brain Salad Surgery as one of the best symph prog albums ever made constantly baffling.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 01:49
I love Who Dunnit

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: zeqexes
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 01:50
I'm not a huge fan of Brain Salad Surgery. I don't hate it at all, but I don't really understand all the love for it.

-------------

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 01:59
- I can't stand "Wish You Were Here"
- "Acquiring the Taste" is one of my least favorite Gentle Giant albums
- "Beat" is one of my favorite KC albums
- "Grace Under Pressure" is my favorite Rush album
- I find "MDK" to be one of Magma's least enjoyable works
- My favorite Opeth album  is "Watershed"
- I don't think Rainbow's "Rising" is that great, I much prefer their debut
- Any Neo-prog that is highly rated... I probably don't like itLOL

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 02:55

• I prefer Marillion's Holidays in Eden above Clutching at Straws and Script for a Jester's Tear.

• 90125 is my favourite Yes album outside their classic area while I rank Tales from Topographic Oceans only just above Tormato.

• Hold Your Fire is imho the best Rush album between Signals and Clockwork Angels.

• Islands and In the Wake of Poseidon are my favourite King Crimson albums while I find Discipline just below average.

• Best Kept Secret with its current average rating of 2.41 is my second favourite Alquin album.

• Fish's album Suits is imho almost equally underrated.

-------------

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 03:57
I like A Momentary Lapse of Reason better than All other Pink Floyd albums except The Wall and Darkside.

I Like Duke better than Selling England by the pound.

Ummmm? Yeah, Iron Maiden's x factor I like better than No Prayer for the dying and Killers

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Morsenator
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 05:38
Tubular Bells is my 12th or so favourite Mike Oldfield album (some albums I rank well over it are TB II&III, Platinum, Five Miles Out and Guitars)

My favourite Jean Michel Jarre album is Oxygene 7-13, which I absolutely love.

Perelandra is one of my favourites from Glass Hammer.

-------------
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: mageestout
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 07:34
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I love Who Dunnit

SECURITY!!!
Over here!
The one clutching the ABACAB album. He's the one!!!!!

-------------
Cheers,
Scott

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 09:46

1) I am passionately in love with Gentle Giant's The Missing Piece

Clap I love that album too, so criminally underappreciated !

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 09:48
Love the way this thread is turning !

-------------

Posted By: pfloyd
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:01
Ummagumma is easily one of my favorite pf albums.  Both the first AND second side

Lizard is the best KC album by far

Red is one of my least favorite.

Trilogy is by far the worst elp album

I can't stand Steven Wilson's music

most Rush is boring, 

:D

-------------
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:30

<span style="line-height: 1.2;"> Silent enough to drown so many good friends"</span>
Love it-
"Even sad, even dying of sadness
They are the winners, beautiful winners
They are the land of your fall"

"Cadillac gurus
 Old Jesus, new circus
 Blind 50's revivals
 The wind up pelvis band
 Keeps on playing
 Still someone saying 'Don't sell me lies'"  Thumbs Up 

-------------

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:46
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Ummmm? Yeah, Iron Maiden's x factor I like better than No Prayer for the dying and Killers

I'm with you there. Those are two of my least favorite Maiden albums (along with Fear of the Dark).

ELP's Tarkus, I never did understand the hype on that album.

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:17
Angel Rat is my favorite Voivod album, and IMHO better than any rush album. Piggy riffage is awesome there!!
Diatribes is my favorite Napalm Death (isnt prog)
I can't understand Porcupine Tree music.
Katatonia > Opeth

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:29
Best Rush album is Signals.
Best Yes album - Yes album.
I love Amon Düül ll's Vive la Trance album - even if most critics see it as a major step down from Wolf City. I see the two as complimentary records - who just as easily could've been made into a double album.
I don't get Roine Stolt - or his projects(Transatlantic, Kaipa, Tulipan Princes etc etc). My taste is all - and it kind of bugs me, seeing as I have an enormous respect for the man. He is as sympathetic as they get. His music on the other hand, yeah well maybe it's too sympathetic as well now that I think of it...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:35
I only like the popular RIO bands.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:37
My favorite Death album is 'Scream Bloody Gore', and their more progressive 90s releases don't interest me at all except for the quality guitar solos.

I also prefer My Dying Bride's early death metal EP days over the bulk of their later, more heralded gothic doom releases.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 11:45
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

My favorite Death album is 'Scream Bloody Gore'

YEASSIR, agreed!! Raw sh*t ever!!

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:01
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

My favorite Death album is 'Scream Bloody Gore', and their more progressive 90s releases don't interest me at all except for the quality guitar solos.

I also prefer My Dying Bride's early death metal EP days over the bulk of their later, more heralded gothic doom releases.

Agree with you on My Dying Bride.  The first album I bought was "As the Flower Withers" and loved it to death, but every thing I tried after that left me less-and-less impressed and more-and-more disappointed.

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:17
I love Saga (that in itself is a statement) !
I prefer the latest period (House of Cards up to  The Human Condition) to the early period (even though there are classic tunes there).

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:27

I prefer the latest period (House of Cards up to  The Human Condition) to the early period (even though there are classic tunes there).

I love the Saga album "Worlds Apart"...especially the song  "No Regrets (Chapter V)".  I remember when "On the Loose" got a lot of early 80's MTV airplay...damn catchy tune Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:27
Just elaborating on my somewhat cryptic relationship with Rush. While I think Moving Pictures is a rather tame affair, I deeply treasure Caress of Steel.

Another one is Klaus Schulze. X seems to be the people's choice, but I must admit that I prefer the coffee trilogy( ie Blackdance, Picture Music and Timewind), Bodylove, Audentity, Mirage, Irrlicht, Cyborg and Moondawn over it. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:34
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I deeply treasure Caress of Steel.

One of my top 3 Rush albums from the 70's Clap

-------------

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 13:00
Handshake

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 13:29
Unorthodox is my favorite Edge of Sanity album.
I love Neil Young's Trans.
The Smiths debut > last album.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 14:08
I don't like anything I've heard from Gentle Giant. Can't put my finger on what's wrong with them, to my ears. They somehow lack charm and esprit.    

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 14:32
Hemispheres and Moving Pictures both pretty terrible albums in my book. Similarly, Scenes From A Memory Metropolis is just acutely embarrassing for the species. And Moonmadness is surprisingly not good, though some of the stuff on that one is much better live. I'm not sure what things I really like (I mean, yeah, Lizard's great but most people seem to be OK with it) that are universally regarded as terrible. I think Love Beach is OK and I like The Final Cut a bit more than The Wall but other than that...

Might say that Peter Hammill's best solo albums are Loops and Reels and the redone Usher, both of which most people haven't heard or don't like... doesn't help that I'm not sure if he's reissued Usher yet, I've only got a second hand copy.

Actually actually actually, Caress of Steel is my favourite Rush album.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 14:54
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

Tubular Bells is my 12th or so favourite Mike Oldfield album (some albums I rank well over it are TB II&III, Platinum, Five Miles Out and Guitars)

I agree on Mike Oldfield although I think his run of albums from Tubular Bells to Discovery is fantastic and then after that there are still gems like Songs Of Distant Earth and Amarok. So putting TB at number 12 in a Mike Oldfield list is no disgraceSmile

JM Jarre - wouldn't be able to go with that although I do like that album

I'm a big GH fan but my collection only starts from Chronometree . I'm going to have to hunt down that album. BTW I rated Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted as a 5 star album (although GH have several imo)

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 15:04

I don't like anything I've heard from Gentle Giant. Can't put my finger on what's wrong with them, to my ears. They somehow lack charm and esprit.    

It was a struggle for me initially when I first bought the Edge Of Twilight compilation. One track though helped me get there more than any other - Playing The Game. Kerry Minnear's organ solo is just so lush and unforced. I love the feel of that track. I kind of agree about some of their tracks as you describe them.Maybe they were just a little bit too 'fiddly' at times for the sake of it.

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 15:37
1. I looooooove David Bowie's Never Let Me Down, along with all his other 80s albums.
2. I consider Selling England By the Pound to be the most overrated prog album of all time.
3. I love Big Generator and Open Your Eyes. Especially Big Generator.
4. Yes' Drama is one of my very favourite albums.
5. I love Collins Era Genesis.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 15:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It was a struggle for me initially when I first bought the Edge Of Twilight compilation. One track though helped me get there more than any other - Playing The Game. Kerry Minnear's organ solo is just so lush and unforced. I love the feel of that track. I kind of agree about some of their tracks as you describe them.Maybe they were just a little bit too 'fiddly' at times for the sake of it.

Yes, maybe they're too technical for me. I'll give them another listen. Smile

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 16:38
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I consider Selling England By the Pound to be the most overrated prog album of all time.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that it is overrated. I much prefer Foxtrot, or the early post-Gabriel Genesis albums instead.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 16:43
Of King Crimson's first four albums, Islands is my favorite.

I find Yes's Relayer to be a quite overrated album.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 18:46
Love Eloy's Metromania. Dislike Planets. The first two tracks come off ok then it turns to cheese with the strings and female vocals.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 21:47
Love both the Tangerine Dream and Eloy debuts immensely. My least favorite Eloy is Floating.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 22:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I consider Selling England By the Pound to be the most overrated prog album of all time.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that it is overrated. I much prefer Foxtrot, or the early post-Gabriel Genesis albums instead.

Same here, although I do think I prefer Selling England to W&W.  I like And Then There Were Three, however, more than Selling England.  Firth of Fifth, Dancing, etc are masterpieces but the album as a whole doesn't seem to match up to the more complex, meaningful, and coherent Foxtrot.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 01:14

Love Eloy's Metromania. Dislike Planets. The first two tracks come off ok then it turns to cheese with the strings and female vocals.

one problem with that album is that it was really part one of a concept and so feels too incomplete. I like the last track but it ends abruptly. As a whole perhaps not satisfactory but some of the playing on that album (drums and bass especially) is just too good to ignore.

I've always liked Metromania. Probably the best 'driving album'. Much more rockier and moving towards a sleeker AOR sound (but not too much).

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 10:47

one problem with that album is that it was really part one of a concept and so feels too incomplete. I like the last track but it ends abruptly. As a whole perhaps not satisfactory but some of the playing on that album (drums and bass especially) is just too good to ignore.
I've always liked Metromania. Probably the best 'driving album'. Much more rockier and moving towards a sleeker AOR sound (but not too much).
Hi, Richard. What do you think of Inside? It's my personal favorite. I've never heard Planets or Metromania

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 19:37

Hi, Richard. What do you think of Inside? It's my personal favorite. I've never heard Planets or Metromania

Inside is one of the better of the early Eloy. Land of No Body is a little over stretched but still good. Future City has Tull all over it. The only thing missing is the flute.

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 20:24

Inside is one of the better of the early Eloy. Land of No Body is a little over stretched but still good. Future City has Tull all over it. The only thing missing is the flute.
Oh yeah, their Power and Passion album has some nice moments but it marred by the silly concept of a teenager using his father's science to go back in time! A particularly "cringe worthy " moment has our hero smoking-up a medieval princess in spoken word. Pure 70's hilarity.

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 22:51

Oh yeah, their Power and Passion album has some nice moments but it marred by the silly concept of a teenager using his father's science to go back in time! A particularly "cringe worthy " moment has our hero smoking-up a medieval princess in spoken word. Pure 70's hilarity.

OMG, I always cringe when I hear that section...it's just so...so...so...Ouch

Inside was my 1st and favorite Eloy album..."Future City" is German Tull while "Land of No Body" is German Echoes...great stuff... 

-------------

Date Posted: May 16 2013 at 22:54

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 01:42

Probably my favourite of the early albums although I prefer Eloy of the early eighties (Colours,Planets,Time To Turn) when they soaked their music in synths and had the wonderful bass playing of Klaus Peter Matziol.

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 17:39

Probably my favourite of the early albums although I prefer Eloy of the early eighties (Colours,Planets,Time To Turn) when they soaked their music in synths and had the wonderful bass playing of Klaus Peter Matziol.
I will have to check out some early 80s EloyThumbs Up

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 17:41
Heh, I LOVE all of Eloy's 80's albums, except maybe that `Destination' one, or was that early 90's?

Even `Ra' gets my seal of approval, even though it's not highly regarded at all.

Date Posted: May 17 2013 at 21:23
I like Tangerine Dream's Hyperborea better than Tangram and force Majour

-------------

Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 21:51
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

• Fish's album Suits is imho almost equally underrated.

• -------------

Posted By: smartpatrol
    Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 22:12
    Originally posted by mageestout mageestout wrote:

I love Who Dunnit

SECURITY!!!
    Over here!
    The one clutching the ABACAB album. He's the one!!!!!

that's me :D

-------------
    http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Robert Placard
    Date Posted: May 19 2013 at 23:19
    • A Passion Play is best Tull album
    • Stormwatch is second best
    • Atom Heart Mother is awesome from start to end especially track 1
    • Rush's Signals is one of their best, only behind A Farewell to Kings of course
    • I think Ulver's Nattens Madrigal is great
    • The Resident's Third Reich and Roll is awful and The Tunes of Two Cities rocks
    • (already said) Islands is a great album
    • Frank Zappa's Civilization Phase III is super cool

and lastly......
    • "Classical" music is better than Prog.
    Edit: but just by a hair though.

Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 01:42

I agree on Mike Oldfield although I think his run of albums from Tubular Bells to Discovery is fantastic and then after that there are still gems like Songs Of Distant Earth and Amarok. So putting TB at number 12 in a Mike Oldfield list is no disgraceSmile

I'm a big GH fan but my collection only starts from Chronometree . I'm going to have to hunt down that album. BTW I rated Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted as a 5 star album (although GH have several imo)

Yeah, no disgrace to TB was intended Tongue I just don't think it's such a full-blown masterpiece many people regard it as. Ommadawn, Amarok and TSoDE etc. are in a whole different level to it. And yeah, you need to get Perelandra, there are some great tracks there. Time Marches On is maybe my fav GH song.

-------------
    http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Stool Man
    Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 03:19
    Tubular Bells is an amazing piece of work for a 17-yr-old to compose and later record at the age of 19. I bet nobody here could've done anything like that when we were teenagers.

My favourite Pink Floyd albums are Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother - both often near the bottom of many Floydians' lists.

-------------
    rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Tuzvihar
    Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 14:22
    Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

My favourite Pink Floyd albums are Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother - both often near the bottom of many Floydians' lists.

Ditto! Smile

-------------
    "Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Cthulhu42
    Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 22:55
    Moving Pictures is only my 6th or 7th favourite Rush album.

I think The Final Cut is Pink Floyd's best album after the Big 5.

Posted By: Moogtron III
    Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 04:19
    Close To The Edge is my least favourite album of Yes in the 1970's. I even prefer TormatoSmile
    Now some comments on what others said.

3) My favorite Yes member solo album is Steve Howe's "Beginnings" and I love Steve Howe's vocals.
    4) I can't stand Tony Levin's bass playing.

That's quite refreshing. Wink

It's my favourite PFM album after L'Isola Di Niente

I love Who Dunnit

Me too. And I know Snow Dog likes it too.

Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

- "Beat" is one of my favorite KC albums

A friend of a friend once mentioned Beat as his favourite King Crimson album

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

• 90125 is my favourite Yes album outside their classic area while I rank Tales from Topographic Oceans only just above Tormato.
    • Best Kept Secret with its current average rating of 2.41 is my second favourite Alquin album.

90125: same for me. Maybe there's no album I listened as much to in my life as 90125. After some 25 years of listening I still turn on the volume of my car radio when "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" comes by. But the whole album is terrific. 

I just bought Nobody Can Wait Forever / Best Kept Secret for my birthday money. I always loved NCWF,  prefer it to earlier Alquin, but I only gave BKS one listening. That stimulates me to listening to it again.

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 14:46

1980-1985 a very fine and underated period of TD. The title track to Hyperborea is one of the best things TD ever did imo. Tangram is probably my favourite TD album but I love Logos , Exit and Poland as well. I'm even very fond of Le ParcEmbarrassed

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 15:10

Yeah, no disgrace to TB was intended Tongue I just don't think it's such a full-blown masterpiece many people regard it as. Ommadawn, Amarok and TSoDE etc. are in a whole different level to it. And yeah, you need to get Perelandra, there are some great tracks there. Time Marches On is maybe my fav GH song.

TB is well known to be several pieces composed over 3 to 4 years I think. I like side two a lot more than side one especially the girlie choir bit but in general I think less is more when Oldfield decided what he wanted to achieve with 40-45 minutes of music.

I've ordered Perelandra btw

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 16:42
    I like Trespass and And Then There Were Three most of Genesis, more than what came between those albums

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 22:05

1980-1985 a very fine and underated period of TD. The title track to Hyperborea is one of the best things TD ever did imo. Tangram is probably my favourite TD album but I love Logos , Exit and Poland as well. I'm even very fond of Le ParcEmbarrassed

Agreed master Richard. Tracks like Song of the whale, live miles and polish dance are so underrated.

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 22:14
    I've always greatly enjoyed many of the Tangerine Dream albums from that period, even the `Firestarter' soundtrack worked beautifully on it's own too.

RichardH and Nick, you've inspired me today....going to go on a bit of an 80's TDream bender when I start work shortly! Long overdue!

As you were, gentlemen!

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 22:19
    As I was? Well if you mean listening to copious amounts of prog in my Underware, then yes I shall return to my glory. Lol
    Anyway, I really reccomend picking up the savvy compilation Riding on the ray. It's a 2 disc set with highlights from their catalog from 1980-1987. Enjoy buddy.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 00:33

As I was? Well if you mean listening to copious amounts of prog in my Underware, then yes I shall return to my glory. Lol
    Anyway, I really reccomend picking up the savvy compilation Riding on the ray. It's a 2 disc set with highlights from their catalog from 1980-1987. Enjoy buddy.

Hey, whatever your trip is, baby, you just keep right on doing it!   

OK, I'm sort of cheating, the 80's Tangerine Dream-athon has started with `Force Majeure'!

Forgot to mention, RichardH, I quite liked `Le Parc' as well, all pleasant and undemanding but still respectable.

Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 01:35
    Firestarter and Underwater Sunlight are also very good indeed

Also worth a mention is Kyoto which was recorded about 1983 (in Japan) but not released until 2004. Has a similar feel to Firestarter but slightly more 'industrial'. The long overdue release was because Christoph Franke was not involved so there was some doubt about it being a true TD release. It is.

Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 01:40
    Thanks for the info about the `Kyoto' album, Richard, that one definately passed me by, but even your description of it sounds fascinating and promising!

Halfway through `Logos' right now!

I wished more people could see the worth of the 80's TDream works!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
    Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 03:44
    Well, I really enjoy Grobschnitt's 1984 album 'Kinder und Narren' - as far as I know, there may be only one other person who likes it Disapprove.................

Posted By: ole-the-first
    Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 03:59
    A lot of everybody's favorites are not my fav, but usually somewhere in top 5 or 10.

Amongst more criticized albums I really love Uriah Heep's 'Wonderworld' and Queen's 'Hot Space'.

-------------
    This night wounds time.

Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 05:42
    I really dig Hyperborea, Poland and Logos. Tangram and Le Parc just didn't do it for me though.. haven't heard much of the other albums post Force Majeure, it seems like there's a lot more good stuff still to check out  Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 05:48
    Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Tubular Bells is an amazing piece of work for a 17-yr-old to compose and later record at the age of 19. I bet nobody here could've done anything like that when we were teenagers.

TB is well known to be several pieces composed over 3 to 4 years I think. I like side two a lot more than side one especially the girlie choir bit but in general I think less is more when Oldfield decided what he wanted to achieve with 40-45 minutes of music.

I've ordered Perelandra btw

Yeah, I know that TB is an amazing thing for a teenager in the 70's to compose. It could be that hearing about 20 different or not-so-different versions of Side 1 have just made me not want to listen it again in any near future LOL Side 2 is has some very neat stuff, I agree. That beginning Heart

I too should get more GH albums, I've heard almost them all but only have Perelandra and Perilous.. There's like some 200 prog records I would buy right now if I had the money Big smile Btw I'm currently reading That Hideous Strength by C.S.Lewis for the second time.. not a bad trilogy to get inspiration for a prog album Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 05:58

I really dig Hyperborea, Poland and Logos. Tangram and Le Parc just didn't do it for me though.. haven't heard much of the other albums post Force Majeure, it seems like there's a lot more good stuff still to check out Tongue

Good to hear you like those ones, Mr Morse (if that is your real name!)

Also good to see more attention given to Glass Hammer's `Perelandra', probably their first really strong work, although I do like that `One' recording that fits in essentially before their first album. Doesn't sound much like typical Hammer stuff, but is a grand work in it's own right.

Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 07:21
    My favorite KISS is Dynasty, and my favorite from The Smiths is their debut.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk