Print Page | Close Window

Favorite Muse Album

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93608
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 23:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Muse Album
Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Subject: Favorite Muse Album
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 20:44
What's your favorite album by Muse. Muse is rarely discussed here, and I'm curious about the proggers' input.

My favorite is the Resistance, easily. Bellamy's vocals fit nicely with the mood of the music, and there's not a song on it that is less than decent. Their most recent album was okay, and quite eclectic which was nice. Some of it wasn't quite my taste though, a little too electronic sometimes.

I know many people can't stand the bombast which is Muse, though frankly I don't mind it. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 20:45
Absolution > Black Holes > Resistance

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 21:20
Resistance > Absolution > Origin > Black Holes > Showbiz >>>>>> The 2nd Law

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 23:51
I enjoy them all, bombast lives lol I have to pick the Resistance as my fave though.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 00:02
Black holes and revelations.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 01:48
Absolution is the album that got me into them. Takes no prisoners. The follow up Black Holes and Revelations saw some nice experiments with traditional prog on Take A Bow and Knights Of Cydonia. Quite a nice balance of ideas but a little unfocused. The Resistance is merely a pop album and a very average one at that . Second Law is a return to form albeit with more plagarism than normal but I like it. The debut is overlooked but has some good raw rock tracks that should be turned up loud. Origin does nothing much for me but I expected it to get some votes as its quite popular.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 05:54
Absolution, a near masterpiece. I'm surprised at all the votes for The Resistance, that album bores me silly as it's Muse without the bombast which is an integral part of their sound IMO.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 09:44
I've been meaning to get another Muse album but didn't know which one to go for, so this poll might help me.
Anyway... I have only two, I like Origin better than Absolution.

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 14:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Absolution is the album that got me into them. Takes no prisoners. The follow up Black Holes and Revelations saw some nice experiments with traditional prog on Take A Bow and Knights Of Cydonia. Quite a nice balance of ideas but a little unfocused. The Resistance is merely a pop album and a very average one at that . Second Law is a return to form albeit with more plagarism than normal but I like it. The debut is overlooked but has some good raw rock tracks that should be turned up loud. Origin does nothing much for me but I expected it to get some votes as its quite popular.

Resistance a pop album? Aside from the first couple tracks, I'm having trouble seeing the pop on this album.

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 14:34
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Resistance a pop album? Aside from the first couple tracks, I'm having trouble seeing the pop on this album.

I have heard so many arguments on why the Resistance is terrible, but to me it just sounds the same as them before, with a bit more overproduction. You can't seriously tell me "MK Ultra" and "Unnatural Selection" aren't two of their best songs.

Resistance is great, and their best in my opinion.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 14:53

I should have put the words 'Excepting Exogenesis' after the Resistance but otherwise I stick to my comments. Its just too much like driving with the hand brake on. Perhaps 'Pop' is a bit too general a description and what I really mean is 'safe' but nevertheless its not doing it for me. 

BTW does anyone recognise my avatar?Wink

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 15:16
1 - Absolution
2 - Black Holes and Revelations
3 - Origin of Symmetry
4 - The Resistance
5 - Showbiz

Don't even mention that ugly, disgusting pile of garbage of an album that is The 2nd Law...

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 19:06

I should have put the words 'Excepting Exogenesis' after the Resistance but otherwise I stick to my comments. Its just too much like driving with the hand brake on. Perhaps 'Pop' is a bit too general a description and what I really mean is 'safe' but nevertheless its not doing it for me. 

What, like recognising that it comes from the video for Sing for Absolution. No, not in the slightest!Tongue

Actually, I seem to remember commenting on it before when you first used it, which would be some years back now I think. And yes, safe is exactly how I'd describe Resistance.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 10:31
Origin, with Absolution very close behind. Not a big fan of their other releases, but these two are pretty ace.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 13:11
Absolution

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 14:54
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

What, like recognising that it comes from the video for Sing for Absolution. No, not in the slightest!Tongue

Actually, I seem to remember commenting on it before when you first used it, which would be some years back now I think. And yes, safe is exactly how I'd describe Resistance.

Cool

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: July 12 2013 at 18:50
1. Absolution
2. Black Holes & Revelations
3. The 2nd Law
4. Origin of Symmetry
5. Showbiz
6. The Resistance

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 12 2013 at 19:03
Absolution
Origin
Resistance
Black Holes
Showbiz
That awful sh*t.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: July 12 2013 at 22:42
Other than the 2 awful dubstep tracks, I really like 2nd law.  They try something new in every song.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 12 2013 at 22:48
I couldn't enjoy it at all. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 01:49
Production is the biggest issue for me. Panic Station is actually an insult to the session musicians that played on it . Otherwise its a solid Muse album displaying a bit more adventure than on the ultra safe The Resistance. (imo)

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 00:42

Date Posted: July 16 2013 at 02:00
^ I can't see the picture on my PC. What is it?

ok can see it nowThumbs Up

question - why this album?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 17 2013 at 08:56
I only have the first Muse.....courtesy of a friend. Can't say I ever really liked their style or approach.
Another band that for me remains uninteresting.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: July 18 2013 at 01:14

^ I can't see the picture on my PC. What is it?

ok can see it nowThumbs Up

question - why this album?

Because it's Muse at their best imo.

Date Posted: July 18 2013 at 01:30
Always found it a bit flat although Megalomaniac is possibly their 'proggiest'  track after Knights Of Cydonia

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: July 18 2013 at 01:53
Black Holes for me. Absolution is very good too but somewhat too long. I remember being quite blown away by The Resistance on first listen, but after that I've only really enjoyed the title track and Unnatural Selection, which are probably my favourite tracks from them.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Date Posted: July 28 2013 at 11:44
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Black Holes for me. Absolution is very good too but somewhat too long. I remember being quite blown away by The Resistance on first listen, but after that I've only really enjoyed the title track and Unnatural Selection, which are probably my favourite tracks from them.

Yes, definitely the best two tracks on the album.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 29 2013 at 07:22
Absolution. Great album.

I wonder if Muse would be as big as they are if people understood their political perspectives a little better.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 29 2013 at 08:34
I do like The Resistance even though its songs contain many a ripoff of other songs (Billy Idol should sue).
OoS is good as well.

Date Posted: July 29 2013 at 09:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Absolution. Great album.

I wonder if Muse would be as big as they are if people understood their political perspectives a little better.

Doubtful. Muse is somewhat popular in pop culture now, and from my experience, many people will sing along with the lyrics without a clue as to what they mean.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk