Print Page | Close Window

What Doors songs are the most Prog?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93609
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 11:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What Doors songs are the most Prog?
Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Subject: What Doors songs are the most Prog?
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 21:34
I just heard that Ray Manzarek has died.  As one of the first well known organ/keyboard players in rock, Ray helped create The Doors signature sound.  Besides the straight ahead rock numbers that brought The Doors radio airplay and fame, there were plenty of proggish moments for this genre stretching rock band.

To honour the memory of Ray, select those songs that you think defined the proggiest moments of The Doors.

This is a multiple choice poll so choose all The Doors songs that you think fall in the prog realm.

RIP Ray Manzarek...Break On Through!

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Replies:
Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 22:42
Oh, that's a large choice of 'em.

"The Crystal Ship"
"Light My Fire" (why do you think this album is so heavily celebrated even by non-prog listeners?  )
"Riders on the Storm"

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 23:28
I had to cast a vote for The Changeling, one of my favorites of theirs and one that I played when I was in a band many moons ago. Our bassist had a really hard time with it. And yes, I voted several others.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 23:32
There is another list asking what the Proggiest Doors songs are......I always will love 'Ships w/Sails' - maybe a re-hash of 'Riders On The Storm', but I love Ray's voice and the groove of that song cooks.  I'll be spinning 'The Golden Scarab' this eve in memory of Ray.  I've always admired Ray - interviews with the man show him to be a loving, caring, intelligent down-to-Earth human being.  The world is a marginally lesser place without him.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 20 2013 at 23:40
I have missed his gig only few months ago....Shocked

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 02:56
Light My Fire and When the Music's Over are fine examples of proto-prog.

-------------

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 04:59
This is the end
Beautiful friend

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 11:52
Went with...

The Crystal Ship (the opening line "And as you slip into unconsciousness I'd like to have another kiss" always reminds me of something Peter Hammill would later write)
The End (a Greek tragedy based 12 minute song in 1967...that's prog Wink)
When the Music's Over (another multi-part extended song..."We want the world and we want it...now")
Celebration of the Lizard (this is an amazing 14+ minute live performance piece combining poetry and some real out-of-the-box music)
Hyacinth House (a great mournful chord progression in the verses)
People Are Strange
Strange Days

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 12:10
Catacombs, nursery bones
Winter women throwing stones
Carrying babies to the river
Streets and shoes, avenues
Leather writers selling news
The Monk bought lunch

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 12:12
There are many many awesome proggy moments in the Doors catalog but

The End
&
Riders on the Storm

are the two that stick out in my mind

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 15:46
Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 15:53
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Catacombs, nursery bones
Winter women throwing stones
Carrying babies to the river
Streets and shoes, avenues
Leather writers selling news
The Monk bought lunch

'nursery bones' - I always thought of it as nursery poems.......but it sounds more 'bones' than 'poems' and TSP is my least favourite Doors album...........

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 21 2013 at 16:52
I'm going to have to take a ride on The Crystal Ship.  

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 03:26
I voted for The End but that the most progressive song by the Doors could be almost any song from the list.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 03:39
The End, When the Music's Over, The Soft Parade,  Celebration of the Lizard

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 08:22
musics over

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 21:31
I guess "The End".

On another note, would "Spanish Caravan" be considered prog?

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 06:00
For me the Celebration of the Lizard certainly sends an echo that many Prog giants possibly caught (albeit unwittingly) re the segueing of several short discrete musical sections into a thematically linked whole e.g. Suppers Ready, Thick as a Brick, Tarkus et al
However, the danger here is that we start judging the Doors by criteria that are completely alien to their art i.e. they never aspired to being a Prog Rock band and apart from some frankly wretched poetry, they have precious little in common with the bands fronted by the likes of Gabriel, Sinfield, Lake and Anderson

Disclaimer: I adore the Doors, own all their albums but find very little justification for their proto prog inclusion on PA. I've always considered them a far greater influence on Post Punk than Progressive Rock. You can trace their lineage in Joy Division, Patti Smith, Teardrop Explodes and Echo & the Bunnymen but precisely squat in Yes, Genesis, ELP or Crimson.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 22:57

Write in: Hello, I Love You

I love when oddness is repeated in a pop hook like accompaniment.  It's like saying,
we can be weird and creative and we can make it fit in.  It works much better for me,
then prolonged weirdness that seems to meander. 

Spacing out and playing odd background noises is fine, but doesn't show the same
type of skills, debatable, of course, on its a great  level of skills.  Witness how much bad
pop music some prog bands wrote, and then listen to something like "Hello I love You"
"Light My Fire," and it goes on and on.....some great musical lyricism in the Doors.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 08:05
I can't really handle the majority of their music but my God The Doors had some incredible moments didn't they.  Most of them are found in the selection above too Clap.

I absolutely loved Manzarek's organ work.

As to the vote, too many to choose from.  An impossible choice

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 08:12
Hhmm a little weird that I'm the first to vote for L'America. 
The cut-up avantguarde flavour of this piece is one of the most compelling and odd these guys ever put together.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: frankbostick
Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 09:51
Albinoni's Adagio from Box Set 1997

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:01
Interesting that Light My Fire is doing so well. I find it hardly prog at all.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 11:33
Yes, I also want to go on record that the Doors never did that much for me.  The drug addled years of Morrison don't do anything for me.  I can tell when a person is about to kill themselves with drugs and alcohol.  Some people call it
"genius" -- maybe because there is money to be made for them off it.  There was something about the Doors that I never liked, compared to bands like Floyd or Hawkwind that had the reputation for drugs but had great longevity.  Ever notice that hardly anyone in prog has died early from drug or alcohol use, or suicide in some other way?  I think that speaks volumes for the importance of this music. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson

Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:16
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Ever notice that hardly anyone in prog has died early from drug or alcohol use, or suicide in some other way?  I think that speaks volumes for the importance of this music. 

Perhaps prog musicians rank music as their ultimate priority rather than the 'rock star' trappings that can surround it? 

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 14:08
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Jazzy leanings, a skillfully done organ improv, and a skillfully done guitar improv ... what are you confused about? Proggy-ish is a better word, I think, and last time I checked, The Doors did not make prog.
Originally posted by frankbostick frankbostick wrote:

Albinoni's Adagio from Box Set 1997
What's 'at now?
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I can't really handle the majority of their music but my God The Doors had some incredible moments didn't they.  Most of them are found in the selection above too Clap.

As to the vote, too many to choose from.  An impossible choice.
A multiple one at that.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 14:15
Mr Mojo Risin'

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 14:25
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Jazzy leanings, a skillfully done organ improv, and a skillfully done guitar improv ... what are you confused about? Proggy-ish is a better word, I think, and last time I checked, The Doors did not make prog.
Never said  they did but the thread asks it.

I hear. A basic bluesy rock song with extended solos. Not  proggish, not prog.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 14:36
^ Extended solos (one is Chicago roots jazz, one is flamenco-styled) with a theme and a reprise. I guess, that said, a good number of things before prog had at least a slight degree of prog in it. An evolution in progress.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: May 29 2013 at 19:19

I think it's a case of people voting for their favourite song on the list as opposed to which one they think is 'the most Prog'. Happens all the time.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 06:33
This !!!
Not especially the track, more like the entire "American P" album

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 06:40
Or if we talk most avantgarde : This

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 06:47

^ Extended solos (one is Chicago roots jazz, one is flamenco-styled) with a theme and a reprise. I guess, that said, a good number of things before prog had at least a slight degree of prog in it. An evolution in progress.
True, some proggy elements - but Elvis had those same jazzy/flamenco rythms here and there Disapprove 

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 08:01

Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I can't really handle the majority of their music but my God The Doors had some incredible moments didn't they.  Most of them are found in the selection above too Clap.

As to the vote, too many to choose from.  An impossible choice.
A multiple one at that.

Tongue I didn't spot that Tongue

Fixed Wink

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: June 04 2013 at 03:40
The Soft Parade

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 04 2013 at 08:32
Spare a thought for The Unknown Soldier.... Breakfast where the news is read. Television, children fed. Unborn living, living dead. Bullet strikes the helmet's head. 

-------------

Posted By: humor4u1959
Date Posted: June 05 2013 at 00:13
I think of the Doors as prog very much. But, they had hits on AM radio. There is the difference. Listen to what other bands were doing at that time and they were definitely prog. And, I love the Doors. They were so unique and original. Probably the best American band of that era. 'Unknown Soldier' is one of my all-time faves.

It's just sad that Morrison was so messed up.

Date Posted: June 05 2013 at 00:32
^ Sad? His lifestyle was the epitome of "live every day like it's your last".

Date Posted: June 05 2013 at 10:07
Originally posted by humor4u1959 humor4u1959 wrote:

I don't think it was sad, I think it was part of what made him...well, him.  Without being "messed-up" he wouldn't have written the words/lyrics/poems that he did.  

-------------

Posted By: Josef_K
Date Posted: June 05 2013 at 10:25
I haven't heard all of these songs, not the greatest The Doors fan around even though they made some nice tunes and Ray is a very big inspiration on me as a keyboardist. His use of keyboard sounds is simply stunning, especially on songs like "People are Strange", "Strange Days" and "The Crystal Ship". Which of these is the most prog is a hard question as I've never really thought about them in that way, but I'd say "The End" for it's craziness and conceptual theme, even though it's hardly my favorite, the beginning is magical but frankly it still bores me after a few minutes. Anyway, the question wasn't which song I liked the most :D

-------------
Leave the past to burn,
At least that's been his own

- Peter Hammill

Date Posted: June 05 2013 at 10:37

You can do that without drugs and alcohol.

In fact, that's the crux of most religious philosophies, at least in doctrine.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 00:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I don't think it was sad, I think it was part of what made him...well, him.  Without being "messed-up" he wouldn't have written the words/lyrics/poems that he did.  

What planet are YOU from? You don't think it's sad when a person with talent dies at age 27 from alcohol and/or drugs? And to think his demons, i.e., substance abuse, inspired him to write? You're so very wrong.

Morrison was reading and writing profound things long before he got "messed up." Yes, he was messed up, like Amy Winehouse and countless others. Another posted a message like yours. Live every day like it's your last. That's moronic artist crap talk. Drugs don't make artists more creative, they kill them!

Read John Densmore's book. He was the drummer in the Doors. Jim's drinking and onstage antics had the band at the end of their wits! Densmore once almost beat the crap out of Morrison after a concert he ruined. If that isn't sad, what is? Jeez! Some people.

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 00:47
^ Uh-huh ... If you really think that excessive passion can help you make a point, you are sadly mistaken. Quite the contrary: it's throwing us off because of its presence. And to think that you had the guts to indicate on the public forum (which is supposed to be a happy place) that we are morons.

Rethink your behavior before you start posting crap talk like that.

You can do that without drugs and alcohol.
Sure you can ... but it seems like he chose to go about it otherwise. Maybe he wanted to try something new.

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 00:47
Originally posted by Josef_K Josef_K wrote:

I haven't heard all of these songs, not the greatest The Doors fan around even though they made some nice tunes and Ray is a very big inspiration on me as a keyboardist. His use of keyboard sounds is simply stunning, especially on songs like "People are Strange", "Strange Days" and "The Crystal Ship". Which of these is the most prog is a hard question as I've never really thought about them in that way, but I'd say "The End" for it's craziness and conceptual theme, even though it's hardly my favorite, the beginning is magical but frankly it still bores me after a few minutes. Anyway, the question wasn't which song I liked the most :D

I agree. 'The End' is their most overrated song in my opinion. I actually think 'Touch Me' was their best. It's worth mentioning that Krieger wrote it. Morrison, in fact, wrote very little of the Doors material. After all, he didn't play an instrument. He mainly wrote lyrics. But, I think they now credit all Doors stuff as a band effort.

Ray was a great keyboardist, having to play left-hand bass on everything. But, Krieger was the key composer, without a doubt.

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 11:34

What planet are YOU from? You don't think it's sad when a person with talent dies at age 27 from alcohol and/or drugs? And to think his demons, i.e., substance abuse, inspired him to write? You're so very wrong.

Morrison was reading and writing profound things long before he got "messed up." Yes, he was messed up, like Amy Winehouse and countless others. Another posted a message like yours. Live every day like it's your last. That's moronic artist crap talk. Drugs don't make artists more creative, they kill them!

Read John Densmore's book. He was the drummer in the Doors. Jim's drinking and onstage antics had the band at the end of their wits! Densmore once almost beat the crap out of Morrison after a concert he ruined. If that isn't sad, what is? Jeez! Some people.

I'm from the planet where people can post an opinion different from my own without being attacked and called a moron.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 11:57
The End and by far.

Radical changes, different moods, dense atmospheres, interesting lyrics (A shocking example of depressive poetry taken to music), jamming. etc

Everything a Proghead loves.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 12:03

I'm from the planet where people can post an opinion different from my own without being attacked and called a moron.

I think Moronic is excessive and offensive, but lets be honest, drugs don't make the artist, or you are born with the talent and develop it or simply you don't have it.

I'm tired of people saying that drugs expand your mind, drugs kill man, and if it wasn't for them, we would had Jim Morrison writing lyrics for 40 or 50 years more.

Jim had a great talent and wasted it.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 12:33
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I'm tired of people saying that drugs expand your mind, drugs kill man, and if it wasn't for them, we would had Jim Morrison writing lyrics for 40 or 50 years more.

Iván

George Harrison once said that LSD didn't teach him anything he wouldn't have eventually learned through meditation.  Maybe Jim just wasn't the meditating type Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 13:34

Iván

George Harrison once said that LSD didn't teach him anything he wouldn't have eventually learned through meditation.  Maybe Jim just wasn't the meditating type Wink

Meditation, study, effort, imagination are useful, but all may be simplified to one mandatory requisite...TALENT.

If you have real talent, the music and lyrics will come, with or without drugs, the difference is that with drugs, you won't be here enough to enjoy the product of that talent.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 13:47

I think Moronic is excessive and offensive, but lets be honest, drugs don't make the artist, or you are born with the talent and develop it or simply you don't have it.

Iván
Well, maybe he wanted to put himself out of his misery sooner than natural causes would permit him. Maybe he lost the gist of life. Not quite sure if he would be willing to write for 40 or 50 years more for the vicious species like ourselves.

Also, Ivan, it sounds like you've tried drugs, ... have you?

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 14:29

Meditation, study, effort, imagination are useful, but all may be simplified to one mandatory requisite...TALENT.
The following quote is from Eric Tamm's book "Robert Fripp: From Crimson King to Crafty Master" ( http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch02.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch02.htm )

Robert Fripp said in 1986, "Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice." Fripp was - and is - the opposite of a musician like Mozart, whose seemingly divine, God-given talent enabled him, under his father's tutelage, to be playing the harpsichord with facility by the age of five and composing sonatas and symphonies by the age of eight.  "One might have a very direct, very innate and natural sense of what music is, like Hendrix, or be like me, a guitar player who began music tone deaf and with no sense of rhythm, completely out of touch with it. For Hendrix the problem was how to refine his particular capacity for expressing what he knew. For me it's how to get in touch with something that I know is there but also I'm out of touch with."

I would say meditation, study, effort, and imagination are much more than just useful.  Without those disciplines, the world would never have known King Crimson.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 15:52

Also, Ivan, it sounds like you've tried drugs, ... have you?

I lived LEGALLY but heavilly drugged because the asthma I had, with adrenalin 4 o 5 times a month I was higher than anybody and destroyed my nerves, so I always had a lot of respect for drugs.

But I seen close friends end like sh*t because of drugs...One of them is my age and still lives in his mother's house, but she has constructed a separate department with no access to the house, because he steals whatever he finds

Two other friends from a notable family, and a degree in laws and medicine clean windows bellow a bridge in Lima.

Two guys have died of OD

Remember something, I'm from  a Catholic Private expensive school, kids don't end like that because their parents do anything to save them, but the parents of this guys said enough and let their kids on their own.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 16:23
I just love the driving energies of L.A. Woman. What a jam!!

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 21:15
I'VE BEEN DOWN SO GOD DAMN LONG

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 23:02
Some folks still haven't learned to read. I never called anyone a moron. Read it again if you must. I said that the idea that drugs inspire or make an artist more creative is a moronic idea. IT IS!

How many will have to die before people finally get it? Drugs kill and destroy lives.

I only reacted in a zealous manner because I was shocked by the comments. I posted a sincere statement that was factual. Morrison was messed up. And I get moronic replies? Of course, I'm going to respond. Nice, smart, or semi-smart people often say moronic things. Happens all the time.

Bottom is this. I was and still am a huge Doors fan. And I'll always feel it was sad that he died from his substance abuse. End of story. If I offended anyone, I'm sure you'll get over it.

Date Posted: June 06 2013 at 23:53
For someone to have displayed any talent that the public recognises, one must have the talent in the first place - drugs do inspire the imagination to a certain extent, but they also help certain individuals to channel this gift.  In the end, drugs do run the risk of killing this talent (not to mention the individual him/herself - every human being should know their limits.  Many don't. Jim didn't.  Everybody has talent, one just needs to discover and recognise it, much like a meditation on a self's finer points.  Meditation is for those who have patience.  Jim probably didn't have any patience. I'm sure he never intended to go the way he did.  But look at Elvis P - if drugs don't kill you, fatty foods will......

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 08:54
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

For someone to have displayed any talent that the public recognises, one must have the talent in the first place - drugs do inspire the imagination to a certain extent, but they also help certain individuals to channel this gift.  In the end, drugs do run the risk of killing this talent (not to mention the individual him/herself - every human being should know their limits.  Many don't. Jim didn't.  Everybody has talent, one just needs to discover and recognise it, much like a meditation on a self's finer points.  Meditation is for those who have patience.  Jim probably didn't have any patience. I'm sure he never intended to go the way he did.  But look at Elvis P - if drugs don't kill you, fatty foods will......

Elvis did a lot of drugs.  It's well-documented prescription drug abuse.

About talent:  all people have wonderful gifts and I agree with you.
However, these are not talents in the arts. Most people will gladly tell you that they don't have any special talent
in the arts, and they are grateful, knowing one can have a fulfilled life with family and friends
without having to be seen as as artist.  They know the suffering real artists go through.
The idea that everyone can be an artist or even wants to I think has helped a little to get some of society
in the mess it is today, and historically has not been what art has been about.  

-------------
--
Robert Pearson

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 10:17
I went with The End and When The Music's Over....but I don't even think The Doors are proto prog like many here do.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: King Only
Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 11:21
I think a lot of Morrison's problems with drugs and alcohol were a manifestation of his problems with his parents. If I remember correctly, his parents strongly disapproved of his decision to join a rock band. His dad was a military guy. I remember reading somewhere that his dad often told Jim that he had no talent for music or writing. It's hard when your own family can't understand who you are and don't support your dreams.

The brother of the Door's drummer also died young, he committed suicide. I think that was also linked to problems with the parents. 

I believe that alcohol abuse or drug abuse are usually a symptom of stress, depression or other psychological problems. Drug abuse and alcohol abuse are a misguided form of 'self-medication'. Unfortunately they only offer a temporary and illusory escape and often damage or destroy long term users in the process. But if your source of distress and suffering is your own family then it's almost impossible to truly escape from the situation. You can escape physically, which Jim did by cutting off contact with his family. I think he lied in interviews and said that all his family members were already dead? But mentally he couldn't escape from the influence of his parents and I think a lot of his anti-authoritarian attitudes were a result of this internal struggle within himself. 

It's true that the other members of the band were often angry and frustrated with Jim's actions but I think at the time they didn't really understand Jim's psychological problems. The impression I got from reading John Densmore's  book was that Densmore eventually forgave Morrison (although many years after Morrison died).

One of the things I respect about Morrison is that he always made an effort to make sure that the other 3 members of the band were properly credited for their effort. Morrison always insisted that it was not "Jim Morrison and The Doors", it was just "The Doors". Morrison was also the one that pushed for the royalties to be split 25% each. He did have some good sides to his personality that are often overlooked because of his problems.

I don't agree with some of the above comments that Krieger was the main talent... I think they all contributed 25%. I've heard the albums that the remaining members did after Jim died and there's really something missing. Jim gave the songs an edge.

There is a lot of bass guitar on all The Doors albums, usually done by session musicians or friends of the band.

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 11:47
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

I think a lot of Morrison's problems with drugs and alcohol were a manifestation of his problems with his parents. If I remember correctly his parents strongly disapproved of his decision to join a rock band. His dad was a military guy. I remember reading somewhere that his dad often told Jim that he had no talent for music or writing. It's hard when your own family can't understand who you are and don't support your dreams.
Ya, Jim's father was a Rear Admiral in the US Navy and they never saw eye-to-eye.  I remember reading that in the 1st Doors press release the 4 guys each had to fill out a press questionnaire and under "Parents" Jim said that his were dead (which of course they weren't).

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 12:19

Some folks still haven't learned to read. I never called anyone a moron. Read it again if you must. I said that the idea that drugs inspire or make an artist more creative is a moronic idea. IT IS!

How many will have to die before people finally get it? Drugs kill and destroy lives.

I only reacted in a zealous manner because I was shocked by the comments. I posted a sincere statement that was factual. Morrison was messed up. And I get moronic replies? Of course, I'm going to respond. Nice, smart, or semi-smart people often say moronic things. Happens all the time.

Bottom is this. I was and still am a huge Doors fan. And I'll always feel it was sad that he died from his substance abuse. End of story. If I offended anyone, I'm sure you'll get over it.

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea but abhor the way it was communicated. You have now merely reiterated that those who take a contrary view are 'moronic'
Perhaps Bill Hicks (who otherwise, I adored) was culpable in disseminating this skew-whiff notion that 'if you deplore recreational drugs, burn your record collection etc' and like yourself, I've always been dismayed by how heartily we celebrate those who have frittered away their precious talents in any creative sphere through drug abuse e.g. George Best, Paul Gascoigne in football and John Belushi and Sam Kinison in comedy etc. Maybe it's tantamount to us rubbernecking at that celebrity pile up on dawn's hi-way bleeding?.

The fact that you were shocked by the elicited comments is your issue to deal with, not ours. Factual statements do not rest on anyone's sincerity and a cerebral giant such as yourself does not need an intellectual pygmy like myself to tell you otherwise.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 13:04
^ Plus, there is never a good excuse for such an amount of vicious zeal.

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 13:12

Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

I think a lot of Morrison's problems with drugs and alcohol were a manifestation of his problems with his parents. If I remember correctly his parents strongly disapproved of his decision to join a rock band. His dad was a military guy. I remember reading somewhere that his dad often told Jim that he had no talent for music or writing. It's hard when your own family can't understand who you are and don't support your dreams.
Ya, Jim's father was a Rear Admiral in the US Navy and they never saw eye-to-eye.  I remember reading that in the 1st Doors press release the 4 guys each had to fill out a press questionnaire and under "Parents" Jim said that his were dead (which of course they weren't).

Plus it's obvious that Jim was at least bipolar (if not borderline schizophrenic) on a time that this was not diagnosed and when discovered had to use strong medication with terrible side effects.

The drugs and booze didn't helped him with his problem

Today things have changed a lot in that aspect.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 13:24

So, if I could read I would have understood that you didn't call me a moron; however, my idea was moronic as well as my reply.  I'm really glad you're here to set me straight and though I've read your reply dozens of times, speaking as an apparently barely-literate semi-smart person, you're really starting to confuse me.  Could you explain this to me again this time in single syllable words?

-------------

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 16:36

Morrison, in fact, wrote very little of the Doors material. After all, he didn't play an instrument. He mainly wrote lyrics. But, I think they now credit all Doors stuff as a band effort.
Strange sentence if you are the Doors fan.

Yes, Jim didn't play any instrument, but he had not only lyrics, but melodies too, i.e. he wrote songs
And it was Jim's suggestion to credit all songs as "written by the Doors". When the band became famous Ray, Robby and John were pleasantly surprised by the amount of money when they started receiving royalty cheques. 

Some of the songs ("Light My Fire", "Love Me Two Times", "Spanish Caravan" (with a bridge borrowed from Isaak Albenitz's "Partido No. 1"), "Yes, The River Knows") were actually written by Robby Krieger, but all songs on first three albums were credited as "written by the Doors" (covers don't count, obviously).

Things changed during recording "The Soft Parade". Not because of money - Jim did not want to be associated with Robby's lyrics in "Tell All The People", he said "I don't want people to get their guns and follow me". And on this album and "Morrison Hotel" songs were credited individually.

When the Doors recorded "L.A. Woman" they returned to the old agreement to credit all songs as a collective effort.

Thus: 
1. Jim wrote the majority of songs (with a great musical contribution of the whole band).
2. Then and now the Doors credit songs as they did on their albums.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 19:55
As I remember it, Jesus was a guy with a lot of zeal who use words like "brood of vipers" to describe
people He didn't think were doing much good in the world   "Don't give what's holy to the dogs, or cast
your pearls before swine."  He could have been more politically correct.  Maybe some of you can suggest
alternative wordings?  

-------------
--
Robert Pearson

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 20:10
^ I must have missed some lyrical material where Jim was singing about Jesus ... ?

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 20:53
^ At least he mentioned Jesus in "When the Music's Over":
Persian night, babe 
See the light, babe 
Save us! 
Jesus! 
Save us! 

Though I didn't understand brainstormer's post. 

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 20:59
I think he was responding to Andrey's claim that there's never an excuse for "vicious zeal".   He says Jesus had a lot of zeal, and we all agree Jesus was a great guy, therefore it can be appropriate for one of us to use zeal.  Something like that, anyway.  Forcing you to either agree with him or claim that Jesus acted inappropriately. A trap!  

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: June 07 2013 at 23:38

As I remember it, Jesus was a guy with a lot of zeal who use words like "brood of vipers" to describe
people He didn't think were doing much good in the world   "Don't give what's holy to the dogs, or cast
your pearls before swine."  He could have been more politically correct.  Maybe some of you can suggest
alternative wordings?  

You cannot petition the lord with prayer....

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 00:24
Thanks, that's what I was saying. I like the idea of zeal, in the right people, only.  Also,
the idea of calling people names can get really out of hand, or using adjectives, in reference
to the "moronic" comments, but it also was something Jesus seemed to do pretty frequently.   
I think it's about what kind of attachment it's done with.  Someone might say something is moronic,
and he might be referring to something you said, but it's done with a sense of concern for you, not
to ridicule you outright and bully you around.    I appreciate anyone's right to fight back about it, though. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 03:13
TO: NotaProgHead:

If you truly believe that Morrison wrote the majority of songs, then I may have some swamp land to sell you in Florida. LOL! That's nonsense. Lyrically? Yes. Musically, no. I'm a musician and it's very hard to compose when one plays no instrument. Perhaps he would make up melodies, hum them to the band, and someone would write them down. Sure, that's possible. 'Hello, I Love You' is a good example. But, it's so simplistic.

Besides, you made my case for me. Krieger wrote their top hit, 'Light My Fire.' Plus, 'Touch Me' and many others. Enough of this silly arguing about the Doors already.

Oops, you're wrong 'bout LA Woman too. 'Love Her Madly' was all Krieger, words and music.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 08:33

If you truly believe that Morrison wrote the majority of songs, then I may have some swamp land to sell you in Florida. LOL! That's nonsense. Lyrically? Yes. Musically, no. I'm a musician and it's very hard to compose when one plays no instrument. Perhaps he would make up melodies, hum them to the band, and someone would write them down. Sure, that's possible. 'Hello, I Love You' is a good example. But, it's so simplistic.

Besides, you made my case for me. Krieger wrote their top hit, 'Light My Fire.' Plus, 'Touch Me' and many others. Enough of this silly arguing about the Doors already.

Oops, you're wrong 'bout LA Woman too. 'Love Her Madly' was all Krieger, words and music.

Interesting that he is on the 'Errors and Omissions' team.

Just saying......
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 12:35
^ What's wrong with being on the EO team? Wouldn't make much difference if he was an admin/mod.

Lyric-writing and humming ... hum-m-m-m-m ... that's still writing.

1) Nobody made a case for you. Tell me what is the percentage of songs Robbie wrote for the band?
2) Who told you that you are in a position to tell other people not to have a discussion?

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 13:33
Calls himself humour and all  I see is a lack of it.Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2013 at 16:24

Dayvenkirq tells you a good thing: "Lyric-writing and humming ... hum-m-m-m-m ... that's still writing".

If you don't believe this read Ray Manzerek's book (he's also a musicianWink), read once again Densmore's memoirs, find somewhere track lists and credits of "The Soft Parade" and "Morrison Hotel" albums and then laugh.

Cats and dogs know that "Love Her Madly" written by Krieger. But where I'm wrong? I only tell that all songs on "L.A. Woman" were credited as a collective effort. Obviously, except for John Lee Hooker's cover. 

It looks like you'd better save swamp lands in Florida for yourself and your heirs. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 02:37

I think of the Doors as prog very much. But, they had hits on AM radio. There is the difference. Listen to what other bands were doing at that time and they were definitely prog. And, I love the Doors. They were so unique and original. Probably the best American band of that era. 'Unknown Soldier' is one of my all-time faves.

The above is my original post that started all this crap. Read it. Then, read the replies. It IS sad that he was messed up. Heck, even the other Doors thought so. It was an innocent, factual comment. Then, we get all these folks who think it was okay?

I'm done with this site! You're all a bunch of idiots anyway. Thinking prog is alive and well? Give me a break! It died in the 1970's! Hello, is anyone home? Nobody wants to hear Supper's Ready or The End nowadays.

I joined this site thinking it would be a nice place to be nostalgic with others who enjoyed prog music. And I find idiots who DON'T think it's sad that Morrison was messed up and died???!!!

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 03:21
Troll ... or something like that.

This commotion was brought to you by ...

... and ...

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 08:49
Here's my two cents
Jim had fun. He lived life to it's fullest, sometimes with total abandon. But he was also somewhat fragile, in a way, and something, maybe drugs, maybe all the fame, life in general, something tore him apart, and possibly killed him (we may never know). But most of all, he was a damned good lyricist and singer.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 09:03
^^^Why would anyone deliberately censor their own sincere wish for everyone to f.u.c.k off (to spare our feelings and sensibilities?) Disapprove

(BTW at least he's right about Prog ending in the 70's)

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:36
The guy is too nervous:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94007&PID=4797354#4797354" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94007&PID=4797354#4797354 .

-------------

Posted By: FLAC
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 06:08
hello  I love you woun't you tell me my name,not sure if prog but still an awesome song 

Posted By: Rando
Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 16:49

I just heard that Ray Manzarek has died.  As one of the first well known organ/keyboard players in rock, Ray helped create The Doors signature sound.  Besides the straight ahead rock numbers that brought The Doors radio airplay and fame, there were plenty of proggish moments for this genre stretching rock band.

To honour the memory of Ray, select those songs that you think defined the proggiest moments of The Doors.

This is a multiple choice poll so choose all The Doors songs that you think fall in the prog realm.

Riders On The Storm

L'America

The End

Smile

-------------
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk