Print Page | Close Window

Do you like Steve Hackett or Steve Howe Solo More?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93658
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 18:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do you like Steve Hackett or Steve Howe Solo More?
Posted By: brainstormer
Subject: Do you like Steve Hackett or Steve Howe Solo More?
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 15:19
I mean solo albums, not their guitar soloing skills.

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Replies:
Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 16:15
Definitely Hackett...he's released several jewels.  The only Steve Howe solo album I like all the way through is Beginnings.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 16:46
Hackett, no contest.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 16:52
I prefer Hackett as a solo musician and a solo player.

Howe's good, but Hackett is sublime.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 17:39
Clearly Hackett's solo work is way better as he is a solo artist--Howe's work is mainly with groups---but I love them both as players---equally---the two steves are may favorites.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 17:40
Hackett's albums are better overall, but Howe has produced several fine ones.  As guitarists (even though this is not the question) they are equals.  Ying Yang

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: otto pankrock
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 18:12
Hackett. I recall being badly disappointed with Howe's solo efforts.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 18:41
Hackett by a very wide margin.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 19:30
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I prefer Hackett as a solo musician and a solo player.

Howe's good, but Hackett is sublime.

100% agreed.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 20:22
Howe can you people vote the way you do? I just can't Hackett it anymore.
(Sorry. Please allow me to don my armor before you begin pelting me.)
BTW, I voted for Hackett -- no contest in my mind. I also believe him to be a better guitarist than Howe as well, although it's hard to compare such diverse styles.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 20:43
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

BTW, I voted for Hackett -- no contest in my mind. I also believe him to be a better guitarist than Howe as well, although it's hard to compare such diverse styles.
I think that's a major point.  Most of us have probably heard one of the interviews with Steve Howe where he talks about not wanting to play in any style that had been associated with rock before.  He really created something unique in the world of rock and while I much prefer Hackett's style, I can't imagine him playing "The Clap" or even "Roundabout". 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 21:53
Hackett. His solo albums are really exquisite, continuing the complex arrangements of Genesis, but in new ways and diversity of style.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 23:10
Hackett.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 22 2013 at 23:57
I've got plenty of albums of both but Hackett's are my favorites.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 00:06
Hackett's bad albums are better than Howe's good....er...uh...least unlistenable albums.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 02:36
In all the polls related to Genesis Vs Yes I have ALWAYS voted for YES, but in terms of solo works I have to admit that I prefer Hackett.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: The-Winkler
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 04:54
There really is no comparison, Hackett is light years ahead of Howe

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 06:24
Hackett, even though I share the same birthday as Howe.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 06:42
I have always been a bit puzzled by how mediocre Howe's solo music is (apart from the typical acoustic guitar solo pieces) while is work with Yes is so fantastic. It just reinforces my feeling of how important was Jon Anderson's contribution to Yes compositions.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 07:32
Not sure why, but I've never been inspired to listen to a Steve Howe solo album. As much as I like Yes I've never been that keen on his lead guitar style and sound.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 09:28
Hmmm, even as I love both of them, Steve Hackett for me... Especially counting their solo career. I'm surprised about voting status so far anyway  - I'd expect lesser difference between them.

-------------

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:08
Hackett. Nothing beats Cinema show for me!!

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:34
It was about their solo albums

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:44
Steve Hillage

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 12:11
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Steve Hillage

Well, I voted for Hackett, but this would have made it more interesting.

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 19:54
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I have always been a bit puzzled by how mediocre Howe's solo music is (apart from the typical acoustic guitar solo pieces) while is work with Yes is so fantastic. It just reinforces my feeling of how important was Jon Anderson's contribution to Yes compositions.

I sorta know what you mean but the best Yes (70's) was mostly written by ANderson/Howe---the sort of Lennon/McCarthy of Yes in their prime---I don't think much of Anderson's solo work either--he is best as a collaborator in Yes and I think he knows it---I mean I think Jon's ego may have thought at one time he could be a solo artist of the caliber of Gabriel or Hackett but that never happened.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 04:06
To be fair to Steve Howe, a lot of what he does is Crossover Prog, whereas Steve Hackett mostly stays within the style of Gabriel era Genesis. Unfair comparison.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 04:30
An interesting comparison. Howe does great work with Yes and puts Asia on the map - the moment he goes - so do I. Neither can sing worth a dime.The track "Australia" from Beginnings had me wondering if my (then) turnntable was running slow.

The remark about Anderson and Howe compositions rings strong. Sometimes certain duos act in conjunction. Lennon, McCartney, Page, Plant, Thelma and Louise etc. Howe plays great guitar of course and operates in a way that is anti-rock being a contemporary Chet Atkins. But he works best in the context of adding to work rather than initiating them (solo). Hackett is more practiced at solo albums - nearly 40 years of not being in any but his own bands. Both are versatile, innovative - I's go for Howe's acoustic work more as he seems to demonstrate some more identity there but Hacket kind of fills that area that could be where Gilmour, May and Manzanera have not gone (if that makes sense, it may be the vino calypso doing it bit there.)

The best example should have been GTR. Oh dearie me. Oh god. Sob. Trying to be prog and pop can be done but it needed a deftness of touch. Neither are blues based forms, one is classical work based, the other is sophisticated (not ham-fisticated) work. The best pop (mini symphony of harmonic detail supporting a strong melody with a matching if contrasting chorus - think ABBA or The Beatles) and the best classical (Albinoni to Francseco Zappa ;) and all points in between). GTR manged to avoid all of this. Bless the 198ps and the industry determined to milk a financial reward. Industry - go for a musical intent and you will actually benefit financially. Unless the non gate keeper directed work of Led Zeppelin's example has passed you by. The GTR might have been that blend of adventurous music with top tunes identifying the music rather than a pandering (chasing a nonexistent audience)... sorry about that it still gets me worked up.

Where was I? Listening to BOC and sipping the vino... H or H? I suppose the closest way of comparing the two objectively is Symphonic Yes (with Genesis drummer Bruford - yes I am joking a bit) and Vangelis's singer Anderson as well as Tull's orchestrator, the former Make David Palmer- no longer kidding - not is he/ she). Compared to Hackett's revisiting Genesis.

Hackett by a short and curly.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 05:18
Another vote for Hackett.  No contest.  Steve Howe in YES Thumbs Up.  Steve Howe solo Thumbs Down (and please don't ever, EVER sing lead....).

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 05:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.  Steve Howe in YES Thumbs Up.  Steve Howe solo Thumbs Down (and please don't ever, EVER sing lead....).

Either and both of 'em. And Jeff Beck. Great on guitar, switch off the mic. Anderson  - great, Wetton, Collins, Gabriel  -  great. Let the axe meisters work where they accomplish the most the best.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 07:11
I think Hackett's voice has actually been quite good on recent albums.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 07:47
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Ah, the blessings of auto tune. Unless it is a coincidence.

So long as he writes, plays guitars and gets worthies like Mr Wetton to do the vox - and bass! then all is well. Shame H and H did not get JW and the rest of Asia to do the super group thing. Fashions eh.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 08:00
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Ah, the blessings of auto tune. Unless it is a coincidence.

So long as he writes, plays guitars and gets worthies like Mr Wetton to do the vox - and bass! then all is well. Shame H and H did not get JW and the rest of Asia to do the super group thing. Fashions eh.

I disagree. I positively like Hackett singing on his own solo albums but i doubt autotune goes anywhere near him. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 14:43
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Ah, the blessings of auto tune. Unless it is a coincidence.So long as he writes, plays guitars and gets worthies like Mr Wetton to do the vox - and bass! then all is well. Shame H and H did not get JW and the rest of Asia to do the super group thing. Fashions eh.

I disagree. I positively like Hackett singing on his own solo albums but i doubt autotune goes anywhere near him. 

I actually like/love most of Hackett's singing, even early on. He has gotten better too. Squackett vocals were exceptional. I like his vocal on the Genesis Revisited version Fountain of Salmacis too. It holds up surprisingly well next to Gabriel's.

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: May 26 2013 at 11:20
I voted for Steve Hackett; yet Steve Howe is a marvellous virtuoso. Perhaps it raises that old argument about taste and content.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 27 2013 at 19:40
Hackett......and it's surprising that as good as Howe is his solo work hasn't been more interesting.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 08:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hackett......and it's surprising that as good as Howe is his solo work hasn't been more interesting.

I think Howe's solo work with his son is some great stuff --his solo stuff is getting better but not exactly as proggy as Hackett.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 08:50
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Not sure why, but I've never been inspired to listen to a Steve Howe solo album.

Me neither. I know some songs from his first solo album and doesn't make me curious to check his albums out.
Hackett's first 4 solo albums are amazing!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 13:20
Haven't heard Cured. Only heard 5 Howe solo. No vote.

-------------

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: April 07 2014 at 23:50
If my avatar is any indication, then Hackett wins by a country mile. No contest really. Howe's work with Yes is fantastic of course, but Hackett's solo work is quite fine while Howe's solo albums aren't emotionally/intellectually stimulating in any way to me.

Even though this wasn't asked but I prefer Hackett overall as a musician/songwriter than Howe, but I don't think Yes wouldn't have been the same without the edginess and virtuosity of Howe.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 01:21
Hackett To Bits!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 10:26
Oh, freaking Hackett stuff, hands down. More variety. And Steve Ha. didn't do a yawner of a Dylan tracks album, either. Just did what he does best (albeit a few clunkers scattered among the mix). Really enjoyed the first couple of Howe albums, I must say.

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 12:02
Hackett by miles!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 15:45
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Hackett To Bits!
I agree !!!

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 16:01
Howe, but it was close; I think sometime in the near future my vote would change.

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 18:54
Hackett for sure--but for me Genesis was amazing because all 5 guys put out some real good albums and Hackett has enjoyed an amazing solo career as has Gabriel and Collins. Yes was always a group where the individuals did their best work (the 70's) as a band. Howe did his best work with Yes for sure---Hackett you could argue did great work in Genesis and as a solo artist.

Date Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:06
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

Howe, but it was close; I think sometime in the near future my vote would change.

What?

Date Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Another vote for Hackett.  No contest.  Steve Howe in YES Thumbs Up.  Steve Howe solo Thumbs Down (and please don't ever, EVER sing lead....).

I'd pay to see Mr. Howe sing lead rather than put up with Hackett attempting to do the same in the higher registers (he sings like a little girl).

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:16
Hackett has LOTS of good solo albums.  Howe has a few.

-------------

Date Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:22
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Hackett's bad albums are better than Howe's good....er...uh...least unlistenable albums.

Just dandy. Then suck on most of Cured!

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 22:02

Steve Hackett

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: April 11 2014 at 05:35
Yep, Steve H. Hackett. The thing is that since Genesis he has had his solo career while Howe releases work with Yes and Asia (his solo career?) Or his other solo career? Ok just album sunder his name, I've heard 3 and got one (now). The '79 eponymous LP and Beginnings were good stuff. But the revelation of his lead vocal style horrified me. (e.g. Australia) Mind you the other SH is not great on vox either.

Wonder why Steve H could not have joined Steve H in Asia. Not GTR. After all they both enjoyed the vocals and bass of Wetton on their respective efforts. Even one album. Guys. C'mon. After all they both covered ITCOTCK... (that would make a good poll...)

Nothing like that (sorry) awful album SH did with Chris Squire. What a disappointment. Good opener track though.

But for the most part Hackett's albums are interesting (often at worst) e.g. Darktown  - and the reworkings of Genesis material show what a master he is at performance, arrangements and writing. I get more from more Hacektt solo albums which actually includes more let downs than Howe's work, But more good things than Howe's work. It might be a numbers thing.

Howe's work is instrumental and I've only the one Home Brew album. Oh well. I like it. So long as he sticks to guitar work, instrumental or with someone else on vocals all's well. The only person worse on lead vocals than these two is me so I have a decent basis of comparison.

Oh yes, speaking of which one thing about Yes compositions. These are often a multiple partner effort (Anderson Howe) while Genesis did much of their writing solo. It's an interesting comparison. I was just considering that box set of demos Anderson released about...7 -8 years ago. I got the free CD. LOL He's quite a good multi-instrumentalist. These recordings are good and they sound like they just need the input of various musical experts (you know who) to apply their input and lo and behold Yes material abounds.

I think it may be that Hackett is more used to making his own decisions, pursuing his own interests - and is very successful at it that gives him the edge.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:14
Both are great if I may say!

Hackett is more to my tastes. I love his classic les Paul and hokada guitar sound.
He's a wiz to my ears. Stevie 12 string as I call him.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk