Posted By: someone_else
Subject: Anekdoten studio albums
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:19
Which one do you prefer?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:22
I've been obsessed with 'Nucleus' for years........Wacko - I love all their albums but 'Nucleus' is beyond amazing.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:23
The mad eyeball oneBig smile

They've made some fine albums, indeed, but my fave has always been Nucleus. There's an unwelcoming serrated and metallic feel to it that I've always loved. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:23
HAHAHHH ninja'd by TomParty

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:26

HI-YA !!!

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:36
Speaking of which, there's some real karate going down on Nucleus.
I can just imagine all these ninjas jumping around in the studio throwing knives and poisonous dartsLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:47
.....and then some.  It's a real no b.s. album.  You say 'serrated and metallic' - I wouldn't go cutting up any pumpernickel with it but yeah - the band put eveything through distortion - and why not Headbanger

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:55
PumpernickelLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 05:59
That intro to 'Book Of Hours' (in 13/8 time),  that build with the 'tron - room crashing potential.............

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 06:04
I have no bearings on time sigs(even if I know my way round the drums), but I feel you Tom - that intro is spookydelicious!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 06:11
'Nother one for Nucleus.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 06:14
That now brings me to 'Hole' (From Within) - the tranquil middle section with Simon Nordberg on Hammond - takes me where I like to go Thumbs Up

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 09:07
A tough one, love them all...

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 09:25
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

A tough one, love them all...

So do I. All their albums are in the 4-5 star range. But A Time of Day is my favourite, followed by Gravity.

-------------

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 09:41
From Within closely followed by Gravity.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:36
From w

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:30
Just ....  Can't .... decide

love em all

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:42
Nucleus.  Definitely.  Nucleus.

I lump the 1st 3 songs together into what I call the "Nucleus Suite".  I rank that 22 minutes as some of the finest prog ever created in the history of the genre.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:19
All good but Nucleus is the best.,

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:25
^Right on PaulBeer

If you had your pick between all of the releases - live included, what would you go for then? (I may actually still prefer Nucleus then, but Walking the Dead makes a good run for it though)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:39
I have an inescapable bias towards the debut album, because it really pumped me up when it first came out, then seeing them play it live (my best friend even joined them onstage for 2 numbers, playing soprano sax on "The Wheel" and the encore of "Starless") and briefly meeting the band (and having a crush on the cello player), that was the peak of my interest in the band.  I've just never followed their subsequent albums quite as closely, though I've listened to them all.  They're all good but I have to be in the right mood to hear them.  I do remember "Gravity" really surprising me a bit - like they'd really started sounding like a modern "edgy" band like Porcupine Tree or something.  The sophistication of the sound layering and album production were more than I expected from this previously raw-sounding combo.

So I voted for Vemod, btw

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:40
I don't have a clear favourite. Remarkably consistent from what I've heard so far. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 13:45
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I have an inescapable bias towards the debut album, because it really pumped me up when it first came out, then seeing them play it live (my best friend even joined them onstage for 2 numbers, playing soprano sax on "The Wheel" and the encore of "Starless") and briefly meeting the band (and having a crush on the cello player), that was the peak of my interest in the band.  I've just never followed their subsequent albums quite as closely, though I've listened to them all.  They're all good but I have to be in the right mood to hear them.  I do remember "Gravity" really surprising me a bit - like they'd really started sounding like a modern "edgy" band like Porcupine Tree or something.  The sophistication of the sound layering and album production were more than I expected from this previously raw-sounding combo.

Nice post Steve - love the stories, as you knowSmile

I feel the same about them. I have to be in the right mood. I think it has to be winter too. Something about the harsh wintery Scandinavian soil that compliments this music beautifully. Soundtrack for tundras or something to that effect...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Floyd Steely
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 15:25
I vote Too Close To Call.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:14
I've always loved From Within most.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:47
love them all but i voted gravity, countains many beautiful and catchy songs

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 18:51
Gravity over Vemod but they're all awesome.Bowdown

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 18:52
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Nice post Steve - love the stories, as you knowSmile

I feel the same about them. I have to be in the right mood. I think it has to be winter too. Something about the harsh wintery Scandinavian soil that compliments this music beautifully. Soundtrack for tundras or something to that effect...

Yeah great story Steve. I like your words on Gravity too.Thumbs Up

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 22:17
Nucleus [of course!]
Gravity [Hated it at first, being so different; but now adore it!]
Vemod [What a debut!]

The other two I've had only about a year so don't know them as well.  Both are good, though.  Can't wait for a new one!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 22:38
Nucleus, but went for Vemod because it deserves more votes that the kinda tuneless later albums. I like "War Is Over" off Gravity though.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 23:10
Vemod

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:39
Vemod is my favorite. That album has some kind of scandinavian coldness.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:53
I like them all except Nucleus Confused. Vemod still rules though as #1

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: June 22 2014 at 04:53

From Within

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk