Print Page | Close Window

Where will your music collection go after you die?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94015
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 22:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Where will your music collection go after you die?
Posted By: BrufordFreak
Subject: Where will your music collection go after you die?
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 12:54
Okay, kiddos, here it is--from another on-going thread--the BIG question: 

WTF happens to all this incredible music once you've passed on? 

Until now I have made no plans. I don't know anybody who'd want it--except . . . maybe . . . A ProgArchives Library and Resale Store???

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Replies:
Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 13:23
Hm.  I have no idea.  My family will never listen to it.  My friends will never listen to it.  Even the people in my band probably won't listen to it.  I suppose I could donate it to the library, give it to my guitar teacher (he might listen to it) or have it buried with me.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 13:33
I've been thinking to this question recently and I can't think to anybody. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 13:37
I'd probably leave it to my daughter. Hopefully by then we'll all have chips in our head and she can just upload all the CDs to her brain and not have to worry about storage.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 13:37
^ And say, don't forget about virtual backup.

After
I die? My mother would sell it all ... except the music on my iCloud ... and buy she a football team ... and a Lear Jet. But if she died, it'd be picking

Before I die? I would sell it all ... except the music on my iCloud (unless it'd be possible when the time comes for me) ... and buy me a football team ... and a Lear Jet.

No, ... I'd donate it to guys like Steven Wilson, iamthemorning, and others so that they can sell it all and get the moneys.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 13:46
In the trash.  No one will care at that point.

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 13:56
Hope some of it will be played at my funeral ;-)

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 14:01
I'm even thinking of selling the whole thing as a collection. It's like my Hot Wheels and hockey card collections they went a long time ago. I mean you grow out of things, move on. I still love music but I find anytime I have time for it is when I'm on the computer. So I just find something on youtube or play a CD.  

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 14:10
Let my daughter have her choice of the collection then ship the rest to ROSfest in a big box market 'Free Please Take One' alternatively the local library.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: terryl
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 14:34
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I'm even thinking of selling the whole thing as a collection. 

This!

i told my wife already to sell the whole prog cds, after putting all the tracks on non-stop playlist at my 2-month long festival funeral.

-------------
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0

Posted By: Chozal
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 14:54
A Passion Play will go in the cd player at the church for the funeral :p

I never gave it much thought ... I still have a good time to figure it out though

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Infinite-Progability-Drive/141225469388975" rel="nofollow - The Infinite Progability Drive , feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 14:57
I plan on teaching my theoretical kids about good music

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 14:58
I'm thinking of taking it with me.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:00
I still live in hope that maybe one day this music will be loved by more people
And that my collection could find a nice home from people who really appreciate the music

More likely, it will go to the grave with me Cry

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:14
My consciousness will be uploaded into a Cyborg unit and I will live forever and continuously enjoy and expand my collection.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:15
If PA will still exist, I will leave a note asking someone to post a thread offering it for free to any PA fan who wants to come and pick it up.
But don't kill me yet please.

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:21
I don't know what to do with my collection, but I know what to do with yours after your death

btw, i think my albums will turn into forgotten relics 

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:29
You could bury it inside a lead container as a sort of time capsule, so that perhaps a civilization thousands of years in the future will discover it and learn how amazing the music on Earth once was (leave a player too with some batteries and instructions in case they are again a primitive culture not knowing electricity, which is highly likely to be the case).

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:35
There is a company in England who offer the service of melting your vinyl records and turning them into the coffin in which you are buried.  Unfortunately my Vinyl records all went to a charity shop many years ago.  I suppose when I'm dead my children will sell my CDs on ebay (or whatever the equivalent will be in the future).  I don't think they will interested in listening to any of them.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 15:44
I'm going to live forever, and bother as many people I can with my weird music collection.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:01
This has caused me a lot of worry.

As one who was never going to have children, and also being the only child of only children so having no known living relatives, it's not just my prog collection but my house, parrots, car, hi-fi and a very valuable collection of rare stamps that could be going to the Treasury if I'm not careful, which is why I made a will because they'd only squander it.

The stamps are going to a charity to help care for my parrots (assuming I die first), the car to a good friend who loves TVRs (unless I crash it first) and the house to a housing association - no problems there.

But my music collection (and my ex-partner's which I inherited when he passed away) amounts to over 2000 vinyls (about 60% prog) and a 100 or so CDs and I'd hate to see them all thrown away. I've left them to my local prog society so they can take any they want and sell the rest on fleabay for charity.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:01
I'll be buried with it, so I can use it in the afterlife.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:13
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The stamps are going to a charity to help care for my parrots (assuming I die first), the car to a good friend who loves TVRs (unless I crash it first) and the house to a housing association - no problems there.

If your friend is unavailable, I promise to take good care of your TVR too! Man you know about cars!

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:23
I will have my music collection donated to a library. Some surviving relative or friend can work out the details.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 17:30
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

If your friend is unavailable, I promise to take good care of your TVR too! Man you know about cars!

You'd be surprised how little I know! But I do love TVRs.

If you've ever seen that terrible John Travolta film Swordfish, the actual TVR Tuscan (W998 AFR) used in it resides in your country - near Brussels. I've met the owner (Pascal) and the car actually has been on my drive. The loudest car I've ever heard, by far - so loud that when I was following it, I couldn't even hear my own engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UagaXwTblh4" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UagaXwTblh4

Watch out (or perhaps listen out) for it!

Sadly mine's just a Chimaera 4.5 - nothing flash. Own at least one TVR before you die.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 18:16

You'd be surprised how little I know! But I do love TVRs.

If you've ever seen that terrible John Travolta film Swordfish, the actual TVR Tuscan (W998 AFR) used in it resides in your country - near Brussels. I've met the owner (Pascal) and the car actually has been on my drive. The loudest car I've ever heard, by far - so loud that when I was following it, I couldn't even hear my own engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UagaXwTblh4" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UagaXwTblh4

Watch out (or perhaps listen out) for it!

Sadly mine's just a Chimaera 4.5 - nothing flash. Own at least one TVR before you die.

'just a Chimaera nothing flash'... ha, I wish I could say something like that! Love them all but I guess that the Cerbera will always be my favourite (doesn't need to be the Speed 12 though Wink).
Sure I've seen Swordfish, the only thing I remember from that movie is the Tuscan LOL
It's so sad such an iconic car manufacturer went down Cry

btw I'm also an animal lover so I would love to take the package of TVR + parrots Big smile

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:11
Me and my best friend have agreed to merge our collections post-mortem. I'd hope to give it to one of my children, or his, if my children have bad music taste, but it really depends what happens in the next 30 years.

Although my parents never had great music taste, I still have a few records from them I love, particularly the Dire Straits and Supertramp ones, but when my dad passed, most of the records I got back were ones I bought him.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:13
But for my rarer ones (signed copies, first editions etc), I'd want to find someone who truly loves the music first, and I'll do that during my lifetime.

Some of my band t-shirts that I grew out of I gave to charities, but due to the fact you aren't allowed to wear a shirt without knowing the music, I supplied a memory stick with each shirt with the band's music on it.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:34
My oldest daughter who is into Porcupine Tree, Anathema and other more modern bands will get her pick. If my Brother-in-law is still alive he'd love to get my Krautrock, Psychedelic, Zeuhl, Electronic cds.
The rest could be sold on E-Bay.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 20:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Let my daughter have her choice of the collection then ship the rest to ROSfest in a big box market 'Free Please Take One' alternatively the local library.

Great idea!!!. My daughter says she wants it, so I think it's settled, but in case there are some CDs she doesn't want, the library would be a good option, or maybe send it to a festival (Baja Prog maybe?) in a box, with a note " FREE please take as many as you want".

Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 22:37
Awesome posts, everyone--the funny and the serious. Definitely like the idea of taking it all with me and using it--and building upon it--in the 'next' world. But then, I'm expecting the music will be even better there. No more Kronos Quartet playing Hendrix or ELP playing Copeland or John Tout playing Rachmaninoff:  A-ron, Rach and Jimi will be jamming together, right?

Local library can have all the CDs. My daughters, for some reason, are really into vinyl--plastering their homes with original album covers from my 70s collection! (Not the 100% virgin vinyl Jap presses or Mobile Fidelities, though. Those are treasures!)

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: June 14 2013 at 22:59
In a pit of despair 

-------------

Posted By: unclemeat69
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 03:59
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I will have my music collection donated to a library. Some surviving relative or friend can work out the details.
Probably this.

Remember that music files that come with a license most will become unplayable after the licensee has died.
Any files with drm in them have self-destruction built into them.-
So this topic could only be about cd's, vinyl and such.

-------------
Follow your bliss

Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 05:40
I believe that CDs have physical deterioration too, not sure for how many years they will still play faultlessly, I have already some recorded CD-Rs which do not play well anymore (let alone that at some point a CD player or turntable may become difficult to find and maintain technological relics).

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 05:53
Prog Heaven

But actually my kids can have em and do what they want - hopefully listen to em but not all are going to appeal so they can work that out. Same thing happened with my dad. He was into country and I am not but I grabbed a few of the better albums and occasionally listen in memory of him. But his 12 string electric acoustic guitar was a really great thing that I was able to take and play and I always think of him when I do. He wouldnt have had it any other way. I hope my kids will listen to my collection and remember me as its part of me. 

-------------

Posted By: FLAC
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 06:05
I only have pirated cd's because in my country it's inpossible to find any original progressive rock cd's. So I don't know where to put them but in the end who the hell cares,those cd's will make it without me somehow

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 14:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I'll be buried with it, so I can use it in the afterlife.

Man. That's a great idea. I was thinking the same thing. Nobody in my family appreciates prog the way i do.
It's going to be with me. :)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 15:03
Tough question.
I got some prog friends, but they already bought the albums they like.
They know most of the albums that I own, because we let each other listen to our new music once or twice a year ( a tradition that exists since some 20 years).
But if they (or I) like something a lot, most of us tend to buy it.
So I don't know... towards family?
Maybe...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 15 2013 at 23:03
To my son in law......maybe then he'll finally understand prog.

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 10:49
Hi,

I don't know ... and ... I don't know.

I would have liked to will it to a Smithsonian or the like, but they are not interested in other things and the American side of my progressive whatever, is probably too small to be worth anything.

IF, Prog Archives had a "library" for these things, I would give it to them!

I have, shared, everything I know and don't know with all of you. I have not been a selfish jerk picking up the girls under the name of art, and the music. I have done my best to help solidify the place, the time, the music, and its art.

If the rest of the wrold doesn't care ... so be it ... who am I to argue with all of you?

The only concern I have is the control of the top ten thing, and how it is not helping define and show the arts as well as it could. All the media owns the same thing they are trying to sell, and even people here can not get off the top ten bandwagon, to the point of making the artist, their pet dog and cat and slippers!

Art has lost its meaning in this generation ... and to me that is far scarier than the great bonfire that my music collection will create after I die!

No one that listens to metal, will still appreciate AD2, Can, Banco, Capability Brown, Duncan Brown, Carmen, and hundreds of others ... so ... like everyone else ... we will all die, and no one will know, or care, any better!

It's really like a ROSE ... it blooms when it does, and then dies! Some seeds remain and might help the plant rejuvenate itself next year ... and another girl in love will come and pluck it and put it in a glass of water to inspire her for another day or so ... and then the flower dies!

So do you, and all the music!

No sense being angry ... enjoy, appreciate the beauty, the heart and the love ... that it was intended with ... and for crying out loud stop worrying about one bad song that you think is the end of the world ... your world, maybe! But even that, will die, soon, my friend ... soon ... much too soon for all of us!

I am not Melmoth, the Wanderer!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 10:58
^I don't believe in an afterlife, so, yeah, enjoy it, and marvel at it's beauty, meaning, etc. while you can.
     It sure makes life a great place to be in, despite the media's focus on money and marketing which sort of depresses me a bit.

Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 11:00
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

Hope some of it will be played at my funeral ;-)

I have written a poem that will have a lot of people upset ... but if they do not play APOCALYPTIC BORE at my funeral, they will all regret it!

That is my theme song, second to none!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 11:10
My daughter will get it and no doubt sell it which is fine with me. I've told her to sell them individually on ebay (or similar) rather than to a dealer. it'll be worth the effort as she'll get far more for it.

Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 11:18
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I'm thinking of taking it with me.

You've been reading too much Evelyn Waugh!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 11:48
I hope to have kids some day, so them. If not, bury it with me so I could bring it to the afterlife

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Nick Dilley
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 12:49
Hopefully my son, but if he's not into it, then maybe a library or school...? Or maybe a craigslist ad...that way some who appreciates it will come running for the goods.

..or someone who wants to make a buck selling albums for 50 cents each.Confused

-------------
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 12:55
Probably Portugal.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 12:59
I'm about to go to Portugal Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 16 2013 at 13:12
I feel fine though. No ebola or arthritis here, so you may have to wait a while.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 00:19
I'd like to think mine will be found by people of the distant future a la The Tangent's "Not As Good As the Book" book. Hopefully they find that books as well and get all freaked out by it.

My time on this planet will not have been in vain

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 00:26
If I have no heirs, I assume it will disappear into the wind.   Let's face it, no one will want my (or anyone else's) prog collection LOL .  

What I will be careful to bequeath is my collection of rare martial arts books, maybe to a good non-loaning library.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 04:30
I won't be needing it any more.  I don't have children to pass it on to.  I think I will donate it to the local public library where hopefully it will provide joy to strangers as it has to me.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 05:46
I don't think my wife and daughter will be very interested...

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 16:47
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Geeeee ... you can visit our house, the famous dad's things in the cemetary next to the Geronimos, and ... so much more in Lisbon!

The only problem about Portugal is that the socialistgottafeedallthepeoplesandanimals knows as much about the arts as they do their dog and cat! They don't care ... and if I were a progressive band I would tear up a lot of that crap and hippocrisy!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

^I don't believe in an afterlife, so, yeah, enjoy it, and marvel at it's beauty, meaning, etc. while you can.
     It sure makes life a great place to be in, despite the media's focus on money and marketing which sort of depresses me a bit.

I could not careless if there is an after life or not ... it's hard enough having to deal with the life of today, let alone supposed things in another world, or life!

Now you know why I have such a passion about all this art and music ... but it really is not because I think that it will no longer exist after I leave ... it is not for me to say, then, or be a part of ... but I can tell you this about the history of the arts ... no art has lasted, unless its lovers stood up and appreciated it to no end.

We're doing that ... just not enough!

If our children continue the battle ... fine. If they don't ... fine ... I did my part, and for that I will smile and say ... I love you ... and that's that!

All else is conjecture and not worth the discussion. It's not even about "belief".

NP: Peter Hammill - Out ... out ... there is no way out (from Out of Water) ... you really should go listen to that right now!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 17:23
^ Pedro. Your artistic flare is depression. You got a lock on it buddy. Lol

-------------

Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 23:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Geeeee ... you can visit our house, the famous dad's things in the cemetary next to the Geronimos, and ... so much more in Lisbon!

The only problem about Portugal is that the socialistgottafeedallthepeoplesandanimals knows as much about the arts as they do their dog and cat! They don't care ... and if I were a progressive band I would tear up a lot of that crap and hippocrisy!
Unfortunately I'm going for work and I'll have the opportunity to see only a little hill with an office and a hotel in the middle looking over a big motorway. Listening to music is the only thing I can do after work. For what I know Portugal has few prog bands but not bad at all. I don't know much more, but that's a country been oppressed by a very long dictatorship followed by a big recession and economical crisis, I wouldn't care much about arts in their shoes. 

-------------

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: June 17 2013 at 23:52
Tough to say, but probably to my family in the future, assuming they want it. I like to think someday I'll be able to share this wonderful music with my kids and they'll appreciate it like I did during the years of my life. Hard topic to think about though, not so much because it instigates a reflection on mortality (we all gotta go someday, after all), but mainly because of all the variables involved.

Date Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:44
I hope someone will know and care who Helmut Koellen was many years from now, as his music means an incredible amount to me.

Date Posted: June 18 2013 at 11:48
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hahahaha ... love that!

"""" Now you know why I have such a passion about all this art and music ... but it really is not because I think that it will no longer exist after I leave ... it is not for me to say, then, or be a part of ... but I can tell you this about the history of the arts ... no art has lasted, unless its lovers stood up and appreciated it to no end. """"

As I said before, the thing that is hard is to have people understand, is ... history has shown us that ALL artistic scenes have been about "the difference" ... "something else" ... so wether something has a different this or that on the front or the back should not be any different than the tshirt you wear to sleep and the tshirt you wear to work, or whatever ... it's not worthy of the discussion!

You are not sitting here and criticizing Beethove because his ending on Eroica was leftist and the beginning was rightist ... and that is what you are not seeing ... I'm transposing on PURPOSE, so one can see the parallel ... that the perspective on the music is not ... the preferred way to see history in the making ... in music!

A lot of the posts, and it's possible that what I say does not sound right, are almost another question based on principles that have nothing to do with the "progressive" or "prog" ideas that started it all ... and somehow we forget all that when you want to discuss Stairway to Heaven again ... and pretty soon, that is PROG and the rest is sh*t! Is that what you want?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Artilectband
Date Posted: June 18 2013 at 18:09
I will never die.

-------------
Prog recorded @ Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy's studio;produced by BTBAMs producer.Check it out and give us some feedback!
Bandcamp: http://artilectband.bandcamp.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/artilect

Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 21:11
Originally posted by Artilectband Artilectband wrote:

I will never die.

I know that, but what are you going to do with all your stuff when you go to trade in that vehicle you're currently driving?

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: kingesis2
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 21:50
Not even Pink Floyd?

-------------
"Cranberry sauce" The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever

Posted By: pfloyd
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:01
my grave

-------------
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:07
It doesn't matter much to me as I won't be listening to my music collection any longer. My wife will probably have a garage sale. Dead

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:45
I will shoot mine into space. Maybe someone out there is smart enough to appreciate it.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:02
Wife, Children, Children of Bodom

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:16

If PA will still exist, I will leave a note asking someone to post a thread offering it for free to any PA fan who wants to come and pick it up.
But don't kill me yet please.
Hmm, what's in your collection?

* begins to hatch evil plan *

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:55
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Artilectband Artilectband wrote:

I will never die.

I know that, but what are you going to do with all your stuff when you go to trade in that vehicle you're currently driving?

Good point. Must mull over.

-------------
Prog recorded @ Neal Morse/Mike Portnoy's studio;produced by BTBAMs producer.Check it out and give us some feedback!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 08:01
Being a devout and confirmed atheist I hope they all go to Prog Heaven. Of course that means all Phil Collins solo albums will be in Prog Hell alongside the Richard Clayderman plays the Greatest Hits of Pink Floyd... and in the highly unlikely event that either place exists then providence would suggest that's were I'll be too.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:21
I think I will donate mine to an ophanage or school of music for the less fortunate. Hopefully inspire the next great prog mind.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:26
I'm much more worried about where my guitar & bass collection will go!  I told Chris Hook (bassist for UK Yes trib band "Fragile") that I was going to be buried with this bass, and he asked me "Where are you going to be buried?"

Love the Brits! 

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:41
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I will shoot mine into space. Maybe someone out there is smart enough to appreciate it.

LOL

Or maybe just shoot the hell out of it. Lucky Luke goes to town on those bad boysAngry "Do you know how much more of the world I could've seen, if I hadn't spent a gazillion on music!"

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: New2prog
Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 03:09
My wife actually likes Prog. She used to wake me up with King Crimson Red.  

Posted By: mrtortoise
Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 07:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I won't be needing it any more.  I don't have children to pass it on to.  I think I will donate it to the local public library where hopefully it will provide joy to strangers as it has to me.

That sums up my situation as well. All my music/books will be donated to libraries. Well, if they still exist in physical form!

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 13:03
Originally posted by New2prog New2prog wrote:

My wife actually likes Prog. She used to wake me up with King Crimson Red.  

That's a good wife you got there. I guess you should give it to her. You know what they say, most woman live longer than men. Lol.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 02:12

My wife actually likes Prog...  

Good one.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 02:13

Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 03:39

My wife actually likes Prog.
That's what mine told me too... until I discovered that Prog was the name of the milkman.

Posted By: zoviet
Date Posted: June 23 2013 at 23:06
thats a very depressing thought hahaha more so than the dying itself.............i thought of clearing out everything before i hit 80 and thats assuming i live to that age. 
and then, when u hit 80 u dont die and go on another 10 yrs...........but all the stuff is gone..........

Posted By: ArturdeLara
Date Posted: June 24 2013 at 05:07
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My consciousness will be uploaded into a Cyborg unit and I will live forever and continuously enjoy and expand my collection.

Hell Yes!!! Approve Headbanger

-------------
"Those who are not shocked when they first come across Prog theory cannot possibly have understood it." - Niels Bohr

"If you think you understand Prog, you don't understand Prog." - Richard Feynman

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: June 24 2013 at 15:04
Since I still haven't any child, I think my collection will go either to nephews/nieces, or to a library of my hometown.

Posted By: Ady Cardiac
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 03:28
dont know as i'll be dead.

Posted By: ArturdeLara
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 13:11
Originally posted by Ady Cardiac Ady Cardiac wrote:

dont know as i'll be dead.

Someone finally gets it LOL

-------------
"Those who are not shocked when they first come across Prog theory cannot possibly have understood it." - Niels Bohr

"If you think you understand Prog, you don't understand Prog." - Richard Feynman

Date Posted: June 30 2013 at 20:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hahahaha ... love that!

"""" Now you know why I have such a passion about all this art and music ... but it really is not because I think that it will no longer exist after I leave ... it is not for me to say, then, or be a part of ... but I can tell you this about the history of the arts ... no art has lasted, unless its lovers stood up and appreciated it to no end. """"

As I said before, the thing that is hard is to have people understand, is ... history has shown us that ALL artistic scenes have been about "the difference" ... "something else" ... so wether something has a different this or that on the front or the back should not be any different than the tshirt you wear to sleep and the tshirt you wear to work, or whatever ... it's not worthy of the discussion!

You are not sitting here and criticizing Beethove because his ending on Eroica was leftist and the beginning was rightist ... and that is what you are not seeing ... I'm transposing on PURPOSE, so one can see the parallel ... that the perspective on the music is not ... the preferred way to see history in the making ... in music!

A lot of the posts, and it's possible that what I say does not sound right, are almost another question based on principles that have nothing to do with the "progressive" or "prog" ideas that started it all ... and somehow we forget all that when you want to discuss Stairway to Heaven again ... and pretty soon, that is PROG and the rest is sh*t! Is that what you want?

Ah no. I'm not wanting to discuss any of those matters, especially Lepplin.
I just want you to be happy and lighten up a bit. Art is always made to depress or anger someone.
Don't have to be so bombastic. Just enjoy music and art for what it is.

Go have a coke or something or treat yourself to a SCI-FI movie masterpiece.
Have fun man. ;)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk