Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94116
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 21:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 70's Little Known American Prog Bands
Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Subject: 70's Little Known American Prog Bands
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 19:53
Sometimes you have to dig deep to find treasure.  These 70's American prog bands never really made it to the surface but toiled underground releasing at least one album in their brief attempts at prog stardom.  In your comments, let us know how you discovered the bands you voted for!

This is a multiple choice poll, so vote for all of these 70's American prog bands that you like.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Replies:
Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 20:00
Cathedral and Lift are two bands I picked up from Syn-Phonic in the early 90s, just as the prog reawakening was starting to occur.  Two bands that sounded a lot like Yes (Cathedral more like Relayer, Lift more like early Yes), both a good listen.   

I've never really given Yezda Urfa, Mirthrandir or Starcastle much of a listen, though I am aware of them and have a faint familiarity with them. Not enough to vote for them though.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 20:13
Urfa magnificent, Pentwater highly under-appreciated, but Cartoon is my write-in vote (technically 1980 but close enough).   What I wonder about is all the US '70s prog bands we don't know about.   Yet.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 20:17
Cathedral for me.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 20:17
I'm also going to write in GRITS, a DC-area band that was contemporaries of the Muffins.  They had a very strong Canterbury/Zappa feel to them.  I've reviewed both of their albums on PA.  They actually never produced an album during their lifetime (mid 70s roughly), but they had a good crop of studio recordings which were later released on Cuneiform CD as "As the World Grits" -- an album I love.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: RedNightmareKing
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 20:25
Gonna write in Sweet Smoke. A proggy/jazzy outfit, Just a Poke was their pinnacle. Two song album though haha. 

-------------
I consider drone metal to be progressive...

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 20:32
Definitely Shadowfax.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 21:05
I own albums (vinyl) from the 70/80s by Shadowfax, Starcastle, and Cathedral, and have discovered Yezda Urfa and Babylon only in the past five years. These latter two are my preferred. Surprised Happy the Man, David Sancious, Larry Fast and Pavlov's Dog aren't on the list (all of whom I own albums but have never really enjoyed). 

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Knobby
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 21:26
You have Cathedral ON ORIG DELTA LABEL vinyl?  That is a thousand dollar lp.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 21:36
Voted for Babylon, Fireballet, Starcastle, Shadowfax. Also voted other: Atlantic Philharmonic.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:00
Voted for Cathedral, Babylon, and Mirththrandir....it goes without saying that Happy The Man are great also but are they little known..?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 19 2013 at 22:43
Yezda Urfa

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 02:12

I only know Yezda Urfa and Starcastle from the list

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 02:24
Fireballet

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 02:53
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Yezda Urfa

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 05:58
Shadowfax and Starcastle are the only two on this list that I've heard.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 06:21
My favorite would be Cathedral, but I'll also vote for Mirthrandir and Yezda.
The Other option would include:
Ram
St. Elmo's Fire
Crack The Sky
The Muffins
However (debut in 81' but I must mention them)
Hands
The Facedancers
Goodthunder

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more...

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:10
Love Yezda Urfa   &   Starcastle

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 07:36
Some of my favorite American obscurities:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3583" rel="nofollow - The Third Estate  - two albums and their best song was the very first, good guitar work and interesting lyrics

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4933" rel="nofollow - String Cheese - what psych sounded like in Chicago in the early 70s

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7246" rel="nofollow - fred  - regional band from late 60s, early 70s rediscovered in the 90s

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2247" rel="nofollow - Providence  - one small album on Moody Blues' label but they had loads of potential

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1118" rel="nofollow - Gypsy - Minneapolis band with piles of ambition and some rotten luck.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 08:31
Fireballet, I knew these guys when they were known as "The Fireball Kids". They were out of New Jersey. I hired them a couple of times to perform at my college and they always put on a spectacular show.

Posted By: frankbostick
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 09:10
From the list Yezda Urfa.
Other out of list Hands.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:32
Listened to a lot of Starcastle as a teen and they are fairly important
as far as American prog is concerned.   I'm impressed
with the musical side of Babylon  but not sure where the vocalist is
taking me.  Is he another New Age messiah telling me to abandon
the church?  I'm really not into these kinds of crusaders as lyricists.
I can't make out the lyrics clear enough, and they are always important
to me.   Maybe someone can describe the position of the lyricist.
It's interesting that most PA reviews don't focus much on lyrics.  

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

Are we talking about the same album:  Stained Glass Stories??

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:05
As I listen to the album right now (on YouTube; my vinyl collection is in my brother's basement in Michigan) I must admit that the only part of the music that sounds remotely familiar are the vocals. Yet, I'm certain that I bought (and own) a copy of Stained Glass Memories--from the cut-out bin at Boogie Records--during my college years in Kalamazoo, 1976-80--which is during the Delta pressing's era and much before the 1989 re-issue.

BTW: This is great stuff. I can see the Anglagard (and Yes and Genesis) comparisons. Whatever happened to these Jersey boys?

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:59
Yezda Urfa, Mirthrandir, Cathedral, Pentwater, Lift, Easter IslandThis first group of bands I learned about from "The Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock".  It's now a website but if I remember correctly, in the early 90's it began life as a daily email digest.  People would submit prog album reviews and they compiled them into a huge document you could download.  I remember printing out this monster, circling any band that looked good, then carrying it with me to all the prog-friendly CD stores in a 50 mile radius LOL.  If I couldn't find them in a store, I'd buy them from this great guy in San Jose named Ranjit.  He had global connections and could get the most obscure prog on the planet.  Since I only lived a couple miles away, I'd go to his house to pick up my order and we'd hang out for hours while he played me the most amazing unknown prog.  Those days were so much fun and my prog collection exploded.

Fireballet - Saw the album in Tower records, read the back cover and saw Ian McDonald produced and played on it so I took a chance.

Babylon - Read about them in this great book called "The Progressive Rock Files".  It has 100's of prog band reviews in the last half of the book.

Netherworld - I played in a San Jose area prog band in the late 70's called Elfhouse.  There was a small bunch of local prog bands (Full Fathom, Paradox, Marathon) but Netherworld was the best of the bunch.  The guy that did our lights came in with a Netherworld cassette one day and we were blown away.  I searched for the vinyl for 15 years before finding it in this hole in the wall called "Big Al's Record Barn".  When the CD was released they added 2 or 3 bonus tracks which were pretty weak so it kind of watered down the overall album quality.  Still 75% of it is great stuff.

Shadowfax - The guitar player from our band was really into their first album "Watercourse Way" and turned us all on.  It became the album we all hoped to someday make; unfortunately, we never got that far LOL

Starcastle - Every Yes fan I knew in the 70's had the first Starcastle album and went nuts over the opening song "Lady of the Lake".

Ethos - I'm writing in an entry to my own poll 'cause I forgot all about them!  Saw the album in Tower Records, the back cover showed them with these amazing prog instruments and I had to hear what they were doing with them.

Happy the Man - I didn't include them in the poll 'cause I thought they were too well known...but another great US 70's prog band.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 14:00
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

As I listen to the album right now (on YouTube; my vinyl collection is in my brother's basement in Michigan) I must admit that the only part of the music that sounds remotely familiar are the vocals. Yet, I'm certain that I bought (and own) a copy of Stained Glass Memories--from the cut-out bin at Boogie Records--during my college years in Kalamazoo, 1976-80--which is during the Delta pressing's era and much before the 1989 re-issue.

BTW: This is great stuff. I can see the Anglagard (and Yes and Genesis) comparisons. Whatever happened to these Jersey boys?

Cathedral released their second album in 2007, an album called The Bridge. Quite good actually.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 14:40
Yezda Urfa are the only band on the list that I've heard. I quite enjoy them though, so they get my vote.

-------------

Posted By: apps79
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 15:31
Yezda Urfa belong among the top 10 prog bands from the whole 70's in my opinion.They are followed by Maelstrom and Ethos in the top3 of little known US bands in my books.

-------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 16:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Of all the albums from all the US bands I listed, Cathedral's "Stained Glass Stories" is my favourite.  The closing track, "The Search" always reminds of what it would've sounded like if Yes had written "The Fountain of Salmacis"...it's an absolute masterpiece Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 20:24
wow the Urf is winning handsomely, first time they've done so well in a PA poll as far as I know

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 20:39
I voted for Starcastle.
      There are more than one US groups named Easter Island, i believe, i know one had Bloodrock guitarist Lee Pickens in the band at one point, and i really like him-is that the group you have listed?

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 20:48
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

If I couldn't find them in a store, I'd buy them from this great guy in San Jose named Ranjit.  He had global connections and could get the most obscure prog on the planet.  Since I only lived a couple miles away, I'd go to his house to pick up my order and we'd hang out for hours while he played me the most amazing unknown prog.  Those days were so much fun and my prog collection exploded.
I seem to remember Ranjit, it must be the same guy.  A friend of mine got tapes of some really neat stuff from him, and he shared it with me.  I think that's where I first heard Hinn Islenski Thursaflokkur and Gracious, among a bunch of other bands.  Starcastle maybe too.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 21:10
I went with Shadowfax. I like YU but they are a bit obnoxious if you're not in the mood.

All of the ones I know here are good. I haven't heard Netherworld, Lift, Babylon, Easter Island or Pentwater.

Posted By: The Rock
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 22:33
Excellent poll!

One of my fave is Northwind.Also worth mentionning are Maelstrom and Pre.They're all on PA.
Surprise were quite good too,though some might find them too heavy.However also,great Canterbury like prog.
Lets not forget about Touch who were a major influence on Kansas.Speaking of whom, Proto-Kaw could have been mentioned,they were an early incarnation of Kansas.There were also Hands who came back a few years ago and a band called Arabesque.

-------------
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"

Posted By: Knobby
Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 22:40
Second the northwind "woods of zandor" lp.

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 23:57
Forgot about Maelstrom you guys just mentioned. I adore their debut, such a beautiful eclectic album, great vocals too.

Date Posted: June 20 2013 at 23:58
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I voted for Starcastle.
      There are more than one US groups named Easter Island, i believe, i know one had Bloodrock guitarist Lee Pickens in the band at one point, and i really like him-is that the group you have listed?

I doubt it was the band with Lee Pickens.  I used to have the CD (ended up trading it away) and it was definitely not Bloodrock-like at all...

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 00:22
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

If I couldn't find them in a store, I'd buy them from this great guy in San Jose named Ranjit.  He had global connections and could get the most obscure prog on the planet.  Since I only lived a couple miles away, I'd go to his house to pick up my order and we'd hang out for hours while he played me the most amazing unknown prog.  Those days were so much fun and my prog collection exploded.
I seem to remember Ranjit, it must be the same guy.  A friend of mine got tapes of some really neat stuff from him, and he shared it with me.  I think that's where I first heard Hinn Islenski Thursaflokkur and Gracious, among a bunch of other bands.  Starcastle maybe too.

Ranjit was incredibly nice with a wonderful young family...I can't say enough good things about him...a scary-smart microprocessor engineer totally devoted to getting prog into as many hands (and heads) as possible.  Yes, he used to make custom prog sampler cassettes for people regularly for little or no cost.  His garage was a prog-heads dream!  I got some amazing stuff from him (Devil Doll, Yezda Urfa, Mirthrandir, Lift, Pentwater, Asia Minor, Pulsar, etc) at a time way before Amazon or any other prog CD distribution channels were setup.  He used to have all these one-of-a-kind super small edition Italian Genesis & Pink Floyd CD box sets.  I bought a Genesis one called "From One Fan to Another" which was a direct soundboard recording from The Lamb tour along with a booklet with Lamb tour photos I'd never seen before.  I remember he was a total Barclay James Harvest nut, the only one I've ever met Big smile

-------------

Posted By: The Rock
Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 12:22
Holding Pattern are a another little known US prog 70's band.They were fronted by excellent guitarist Tony Spada.

-------------
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 18:52
Originally posted by Knobby Knobby wrote:

Interesting that of all the bands listed, Starcastle and Fireballet are the only ones I know of that had an album in a mainstream record store chain like Tower or The Wherehouse.  All the rest were lost until the 90's prog revival began re-releasing these gems on CD.  I remember the day I found the "Netherworld" vinyl at "Big Al's Record Barn".  There was no price on the album and even though I was jumping with joy at my rare discovery, I tried to play it cool.  I asked, "how much for this thing...didn't they used to be a local band?" and she said $10.  I would've paid $50 LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 20:14
Well played.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 20:23
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I went with Shadowfax. I like YU but they are a bit obnoxious if you're not in the mood.

yeah a bit silly sometimes with not a particularly pro mixing job, and I always think there's a woman singing but then I remember it's Rodenbaugh LOL  (may he rest in peace) .

Date Posted: June 21 2013 at 20:31

Interesting that of all the bands listed, Starcastle and Fireballet are the only ones I know of that had an album in a mainstream record store chain like Tower or The Wherehouse.  All the rest were lost until the 90's prog revival began re-releasing these gems on CD.  I remember the day I found the "Netherworld" vinyl at "Big Al's Record Barn".  There was no price on the album and even though I was jumping with joy at my rare discovery, I tried to play it cool.  I asked, "how much for this thing...didn't they used to be a local band?" and she said $10.  I would've paid $50 LOL

This I think was the best part of the CD revolution; more than the lack of surface noise, durability, or convenience of size, it was all that old material that had suddenly and quietly crept from endless vaults, cellars, safes, desks and shoe boxes around the world that nobody - and I mean nobody - cared about.   Oh, except us.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 22 2013 at 09:03
Netherworld is my favorite off the immediate list. I also like Shadowfax.

Under "Other": the lone 1980 release (reissued in the late 90s on Projekt of all labels) by Amber Route, called Snail Headed Victrolas.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: June 24 2013 at 23:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Netherworld is my favorite off the immediate list. I also like Shadowfax.

Under "Other": the lone 1980 release (reissued in the late 90s on Projekt of all labels) by Amber Route, called Snail Headed Victrolas.

Netherworld had a great guitar player (his "Son of Sam" solo knocks me out) and "Sargasso" is an amazing track (kind of reminds me of a short-manic-American-Plague of Lighthouse Keepers).  I think it's sad that so many people have never heard them.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: June 24 2013 at 23:40
The Quill from 1977! 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: June 24 2013 at 23:41
I thought about this a few days and I have to say Happy The Man......even though I like the others I named I really enjoy listening to HTM's  first 3 lp's.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: July 12 2013 at 11:28
A Central New York State band called 805 started out in the late 70's. Too bad these guys didn't get more exposure.

http://www.yrbook.com/soundshop/805cd.htm
http://www.reverbnation.com/805theband

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2013 at 18:40
a US band from '77 I didn't know about 'til just a few days ago with a single album

Topper
--  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7iMh3FBUg" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7iMh3FBUg

great symphonic pop-rock

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: July 13 2013 at 05:09
Mirthrandir [ very underrated  ]

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:04
first of all, i only am aware with Starcastle, and second, the poll says thanks for voting, however, IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE I ACTUALLY VOTED FOR STARCASTLE!!! WHATS GOIN ON!?!?!?!?!

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:37
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Same here.   Anyone who hasn't heard the first Shadowfax album really should. Big smile The first Starcastle is pretty good Yes cloneage.  Although if memory serves they went severely downhill after that.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:21
What no Bobby Beausoleil? 
Anyway I voted other for either Bobby, The Muffins or Friendsound.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Same here.   Anyone who hasn't heard the first Shadowfax album really should. Big smile The first Starcastle is pretty good Yes cloneage.  Although if memory serves they went severely downhill after that.

^ The 1st Shadowfax album "Watercourse Way" is incredible...only made more so by comparing it to their later Wyndham Hill new age recordings (which are also excellent but in a very different genre).

-------------

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 23:38

I think you would like Cathedral, Babylon, and Mithrandir.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 23:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think you would like Cathedral, Babylon, and Mithrandir.

3 excellent choices Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 11 2016 at 18:11
Polyphony. Not on the list - so I voted for the great Mirthrandir.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 03:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

My "other" vote goes to McLuhan. I've played Anomaly countless times. Unlike Bobby its "proper" prog but very inventive and skillfully performed. US progrock/rock opera borrowing from an american, big-band/Broadway music tradition. Sounds like It'll be horrible I know, but works magnificently. Similar in approach to how many italian, spanish, british, swedish based their progrock on local traditions and composers.    

Edit: Located an excellent five-star review by none other than you while writing.

-------------

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 14:45
The only obscure 70's American band that springs to mind that I really like is Arabesque.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 15:04
Quill and Arabesque 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 17:38
For an obscure band I'd mention the Advancement. I love this album from 1969, though it is probably better described as folky psyche-jazz than Prog-proper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQZvQBZOKU" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQZvQBZOKU

EDIT: oops, somehow failed to notice that this is about 70s bands.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 18:50
Starcastle

I get a perverse pleasure in occasionally putting on a Starcastle album, usually the 2nd, but other than that...

there is a reason they are generally little known.... why listen to any of them when you could listen to an masterwork Italian prog album.. then again.. why would you listen to 2nd rate English sh*t  when you also listen to Italian prog masterworks.. oh well..LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 17 2016 at 13:07
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

My "other" vote goes to McLuhan. I've played Anomaly countless times. Unlike Bobby its "proper" prog but very inventive and skillfully performed. US progrock/rock opera borrowing from an american, big-band/Broadway music tradition. Sounds like It'll be horrible I know, but works magnificently. Similar in approach to how many italian, spanish, british, swedish based their progrock on local traditions and composers.    

Edit: Located an excellent five-star review by none other than you while writing.

Thanks man. I must've forgotten about it at the time. Safe to say it is up there with Lucifer Rising. The two others I mentioned are still faves of mine but just below Bobby and McLuhan.
Another rather obscure fave of mine is Wulf Zendik's selftitled album and Dance of the Cosmic Warriors - both of em sounding incredibly close to what Amon Düül ll and Faust were doing in the start of the 70s. The guy was a sort of Texan guru with a strong connection to nature and how it influenced sound and mind.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: April 17 2016 at 15:25
No Pavlov's Dog? Shocked

Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 12:47
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

No Pavlov's Dog? Shocked

Good band....found an original vinyl copy of Pampered Menial a few months back.  Thumbs Up

For me though the best American obscure prog band is 'Happy The Man'.
 They had the chops and wrote some really nice and interesting prog and fusion and of course Gabriel was a fan.

-------------
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk