Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94204
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2 Pink Floyd Albums
Posted By: zravkapt
Subject: 2 Pink Floyd Albums
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 05:04
The last of their quickly made soundtracks or what is basically a Waters solo album?

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 05:20
I like both, but The Final Cut gets my vote.

-------------

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 05:21
Besides The Gunner's Return, Not Now John, and Two Suns, I really dislike The Final Cut. Obscured is something of a hidden gem, while The Final Cut belongs left in the ground.

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 07:46
Obscured

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Anthony
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 08:06
It's choosing between an energetic album and a snoozefest.

-------------
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 08:58
Could I vote "neither"?

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 09:58
Obscured By Clouds.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 10:06
I  find Obscured to be a slight, irrelevant album. I vote Final Cut. An easy winner for me.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 10:17
Obscured by Clouds for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 10:28
I love both of them so much, both suit completely different moods and are wonderful works in their own right.

Probably `Final Cut' is more compelx and thoughtful, but `Obscured' has a few lovely instrumentals and great vocals pieces. I think I've listened to that more over the last several years, so I'll vote that.

I'm actually shocked that there is so much dislike in general for `The Final Cut' amongst PF fans. I mean, I know there's not many `crowdpleasing' moments on it like `The Wall', but it's such a sublime intelligent work, with maybe Waters best ever vocals?

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 11:24
I like "Obscured..." a lot as a collection of songs (some great, some average) but "The Final Cut" is my favourite PF album.  I love the concept, storyline, sarcasm, lyrics, Roger's vocals (and background screaming/whispering/voices) and the music.  I believe Gilmour wasn't involved in the writing but he still unleashes some ripping guitar parts...

"...and it can't be much fun for them
 beneath the rising sun
 with all their kids committing suicide"

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 11:39
The Final Cut by a wide margin!! Brilliantly sarcastic lyrics by Waters!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 12:15
Obscured By Clouds is the last album before they became hugely successful etc. A fine album.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 12:24
Obscured for me.....it's a slice of dreamy early laid back Floyd.
The Final Cut is another attempt by Waters to 'be Pink Floyd' and he fails miserably imho.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 14:12
The lyrics of Free Four have been fundamental for the following 5 Floyd's albums.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 14:31
For me, Obscured by Clouds is the best overall album they ever made.

They made better individual tracks on other albums, but for consistent enjoyment, it's the best.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 20:19
Like both albums a lot but they each have very different moods.  If I had to pick OBC.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 20:26
The Final Cut

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 20:35
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

For me, Obscured by Clouds is the best overall album they ever made.
Perhaps this.

Obscured ... . An easy vote for me. But that's not to slight the other candidate, which has an edge of it own.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 22:27
Neither album is among my favourites, and both have moments to be enjoyed. I would go with "The Final Cut", for I belive it has more strong moments, though I still think it could have been better.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 22:48
La Vallée

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 25 2013 at 23:53
Final Cut

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 26 2013 at 16:29
I like both, but I think The Final Cut is excellent.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: June 26 2013 at 21:26
I think only a few bits from ObC are memorable while most of the Final Cut is pretty interesting and dark in a way that most Pink Floyd albums are not.

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: June 26 2013 at 23:46
Obscured By Clouds has about 20% of my favorite Pink Floyd songs. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 02:23
^ And The Cut takes the other 80% ?

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 03:20
Baffled by the poll results, Final Cut by a mile...notwithstanding that La Vallee is a great soundtrack album

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 04:24
Effectively I was not expecting so much love for Obscured, but while Final Cut is a good (IMO) concept album, it doesn't have big peaks apart of the sax on The Gunner's dream which starts from Water's scream and Two suns in the Sunset which is a great song. Obscured is song based but there are songs on it which I carry in my heart since decades. Probably it's the less progressive Floyd's album but I really love it. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 09:26
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ And The Cut takes the other 80% ?

I don't think I ever heard it.  I like their music before Dark Side.  Heard that
album a few many times to really ever put on any of the songs.  

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: rocklord
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 10:36
Very, likely  Obscured By Clouds

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 10:41
Originally posted by m2thek m2thek wrote:

I think only a few bits from ObC are memorable while most of the Final Cut is pretty interesting and dark in a way that most Pink Floyd albums are not.
which ones are (in your opinion) not interesting or dark?

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 21:20
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Effectively I was not expecting so much love for Obscured, but while Final Cut is a good (IMO) concept album, it doesn't have big peaks apart of the sax on The Gunner's dream which starts from Water's scream and Two suns in the Sunset which is a great song. Obscured is song based but there are songs on it which I carry in my heart since decades. Probably it's the less progressive Floyd's album but I really love it. 

I would add the song "The Final Cut" to the great songs from that album, and "The Fetcher Memorial House" too, besides that the album is rather boring for me. Oh yeah, and "The Hero's return", but the single version that includes the second part too, making the song long enough to be enjoyable instead of frustrating. I really wish that song was available officially, if only they had included it on the last remaster of the album I would have bought it again.

Posted By: Knobby
Date Posted: June 27 2013 at 22:10
Okay, Ive added lotta your names to my "Juniors" list.

"Final Cut" is simply one of the worse - I wont say prog - albums ever made.

How you could pick that verbose dreck over anything as remarkable as Obscured By Clouds is beyond me.

On a tangent: perhaps some of you know, there was an act went by name of Obscured By Clouds. Pretty sure it was a single guy.  Pretty decent cd.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 28 2013 at 01:01
^LOL

Pull that net in son..

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: June 28 2013 at 04:19
neither, though obscured is not quite as bad

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: June 28 2013 at 19:51
I don't understand why OBCs is leading this poll? I went back and listened to the album thinking I had missed something. There is absolutely nothing special about the songs on OBCs, in fact you wouldn't believe this was the "great" Pink Floyd of the coming years!   The Final Cut is by far the superior album IMO

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: June 28 2013 at 20:20
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

There is absolutely nothing special about the songs on OBCs, in fact you wouldn't believe this was the "great" Pink Floyd of the coming years!
I disagree on those three counts (guess what they are).

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: July 04 2013 at 15:54
The Final Cut - one of my top 5 Floyd albums

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: July 04 2013 at 18:44
The final cut. Waters last or'rah

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: July 11 2013 at 07:36
Two very different albums. both intelligent but The Final Cut draws so much antipathy, often due to perception of Waters. I wonder if DG had any material to contribute? I used to not like it at first but it's austerity has dignity and it proclaims it's anti-war credentials proudly. The other is anticipating "world" music i.e. incorporating non western cuture into Western musical art and having a generally laid back but occasionally rocking moment.

Voting for one is voting against the other.

Can't do it. Relics versus Works - easy, not this pair.

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:23
I like both, but like some others here, Final Cut gets my vote. It is unquestionably PF's most underappreciated album. As many of you know, it was written at the same time as The Wall, and there was some talk that The Wall was going to be a triple album - in which case Final Cut would simply have been the third disc. Now THAT would have been amazing!

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 11 2013 at 17:34
I wouldn't want The Wall ruining TFC :3

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: mohaveman
Date Posted: July 11 2013 at 20:27
Final cut

-------------
And it's only the giving that makes you...what you are".

Date Posted: July 11 2013 at 21:17
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

I like both, but like some others here, Final Cut gets my vote. It is unquestionably PF's most underappreciated album. As many of you know, it was written at the same time as The Wall, and there was some talk that The Wall was going to be a triple album - in which case Final Cut would simply have been the third disc. Now THAT would have been amazing!

What I had heard was that The Final Cut is made by songs that were actually rejected by the rest of the band to be part of the Wall. And that was actually one of the complaints Gilmour had with that album, he thought that if the songs weren't good enough to be on The Wall, then why should they be good enough for the new album. And in a way he was right, however, I do find a few of the Final Cut songs very enjoyable, and most of them I could somehow easily find their place on The Wall, which might have made it a bit better to my taste.

Posted By: Theremin77
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 14:10
The Final Cut was (unusually I think for most people) the album that first got me into Floyd so it would have to be that one (and I still think it's great with all it's holophonics and Waters' snarling lyrics - though came to realise it was much more Watersy than Floydy as I got more into them).

I met Andy Jackson, who engineered it, when he mastered an album of ours a couple of years back and asked him about it - he told me he'd never listened to it since!

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 15:12
Obscured By Clouds

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: FunkyHomoSapien
Date Posted: July 17 2013 at 09:30
obscured by clouds is the best of these two

Posted By: CKnoxW
Date Posted: July 21 2013 at 11:37
It's the Final Cut all the way for me. It's definitely my favorite Floyd album.
I've always seen it as similar to Let It Be, in that all the members hated each other, yet the end product was some of their best. Gilmour's solo's? Untouched by any prior Floyd album.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 07:09
obscured by clouds

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: October 05 2017 at 08:01
Obscured...

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 06 2017 at 19:07
Obscured by Clouds. The Final Cut is quite nearly a Waters solo album with guests appearances by Gilmour and Mason.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 00:48
I prefer The Final Cut over Animals, as I think Obscured By Clouds is the start of Floyd's three album streak that ended on Wish You Were Here.
But because the idea of the band having a three album streak, seems the public had it confused Animals is part of the chain.
Obscured By Clouds.

Date Posted: October 08 2017 at 21:19
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I prefer The Final Cut over Animals, as I think Obscured By Clouds is the start of Floyd's three album streak that ended on Wish You Were Here.
But because the idea of the band having a three album streak, seems the public had it confused Animals is part of the chain.
Obscured By Clouds.

For me Obscured by Clouds sounds too different to Dark Side and Wish. It still sounds more like early Floyd, or to the other soundtrack (and attempt of soundtrack - More and Zabriskie Point). So, indeed for me, the 3 album streak is from Dark Side to Animals (The Wall is a big change of sound in my book). Or else, I might be tempted to ignore Oscured by Clouds and make it a 4 album streak from Meddle to Animals... for me those ones represent the quintesential Floyd sound.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 13:18
I love both of them!!!

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: October 09 2017 at 21:41
Obscured all the way. It's my favorite PF album.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:52
Obscured by Clouds

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 16 2018 at 23:58
the Final Cut. Only albums that are weaker than Obscured are those eighties albums without Rog.

Date Posted: March 17 2018 at 13:49
^ Pink Floyd only did one album in the 80's without Rog. I mean studio one, of course. And actually, I do like it more than Obscured by Clouds, and just about as much as The Final Cut.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk