Print Page | Close Window

Ysma - "Vagrant" (Instrumental)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Official 'review our music' forum
Forum Description: Official artists representatives create new topic here to offer PA members to get their music and review it on PA
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94311
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 03:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ysma - "Vagrant" (Instrumental)
Posted By: dsk
Subject: Ysma - "Vagrant" (Instrumental)
Date Posted: July 03 2013 at 01:35
Hi everyone,

as of two days ago, Ysma are proud to be added to PA - many thanks to the "Heavy Prog"-Team!
We released our debut album "Vagrant" back in April and we would really appreciate it if someone was interested in getting into the music and writing a little something.

"Vagrant" is a 12-track instrumental album with purely acoustic pieces as well as heavier prog pieces with a metal edge, but everyone is welcome to listen in for himself :)
The bandcamp link is www.ysma.bandcamp.com, you will find the album streamable at full length with the artwork and some additional info.
Thanks in advance to every potential reviewer, please feel free to contact me anytime!

Cheers,
Daniel (Ysma guitarist)

Replies:
Date Posted: July 30 2013 at 08:55
Would have been easier if I had posted available download links to begin with ;) Sorry for the inconvenience, the following links are still active via www.ysma.bandcamp.com/yum:

w5rl-kahp
s6mh-67p2
pnrj-yj7c
rdvr-bkpx
k7er-3u5r
k57w-wqnd
u854-h85h

If you used one of the codes please notify the others by posting the code you selected. Thanks!

Posted By: CKnoxW
Date Posted: August 06 2013 at 14:40
I used u854-h85h, awaiting download

Date Posted: August 06 2013 at 16:29
So, after giving the album a listen through, I have to say that it is overall very, very good. Musicianship is excellent, arrangement is tight, and above all, the mixing and production are better than a lot of mainstream rock releases (I can hear the bass!)
But

This group needs a vocalist. All of the pieces on the record sound like instrumental mixes of songs that originally had vocals. There is a market and place for instrumental progressive metal, but groups like Liquid Tension Experiment and Planet X wrote pieces that had melodies to make up for the lack of a singer. Penumbra was the first that stood out to me as a song in need of a vocal, but others like Alan Smithee's Suicide Note would be improved dramatically. (By the way, the latter is one of the strongest tunes on the album)

I know you've had this released on physical cd, but if you want to get this into a larger audience... get a vocalist.

Big smile

Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 02:05
First of all, thank you for your positive remarks about the record, nice to hear!
To address the vocalist issue: Interestingly enough, you are in fact the first one saying that the music lacks vocals ;) I totally agree that Penumbra for example could feature some vocals, but we decided not to go that way. We care a lot about allowing for some space in the music, which is why we don't follow the approach of the bands you mentioned (especially LTE), where the music is much more densely packed to compensate for a missing vocalist.
Bottom line: a more melodic approach here and there - yes (currently finishing songs for #2), a vocalist - still no. Not reaching a huge amount of people is a compromise, of course, as you say.
Thanks for your comments on that particular issue, though, it is interesting to see the music from this side, as well.

Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 02:11
Well I'm extremely excited to hear number two when it rolls around, this is a group of guys that really know their instruments.
I guess part of my opinion stems from the fact that I spend so much time trying to fill every nook and cranny of my own instrumental music, it seems unfair that somebody else should get away with it and not let it bother them!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk