Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94653
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 00:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ulver vs Burzum
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Ulver vs Burzum
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 05:24
Im just curious, since both dabbles in both heavy music, and ambient, and both have created serious black metal but also serious dark ambient and folk album, both are sort of one man projects, with some help from outsiders, Ulver is more collaborative thn Burzum,  both are norwegian, 

another reason i do this i because i am very nervous and anticipates to search and listen to the music of Burzum, for various-obvious reasons, i have a hard time not connecting the music and the private man behind the music.

Is there similarities between the music of Ulver and of Burzums?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 06:52
I'm obsessed with Ulver right now, but I'll not vote since I haven't heard anything from Burzum.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 07:04
This is probably going to be a one sided poll Agi, either way let me be the one to cast the first vote for Ulver.

You're right though - especially back when these "bands" started out, they were very similar sounding. Not in a copy paste type of way, but they were both part of the first pioneering wave of Norwegian black metal. Their first albums are today thought of as many proggers think about early albums by KC, Genesis and Yes.
Then Ulver veered into all kinds of experiments, where I personally have a huge preference for the electronic albums - culminating in Perdition City. After this post metal, avantguarde trickery and everything under the sun were suddenly part of their repertoire.

Conversely, after the first breakthrough Burzum got imprisoned for murder, where he then proceeded to go completely mad with racism. He went from instrumental black metal, to ambient and then realized that all his music really amounted to was merely a branching of the blues and jazz conjured up by the black slaves. Well he couldn't live with that, meaning he started making indigenous Norwegian folk musicLOL

You tell me, who's the most prog here?Clown  

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 08:19
They probably speak to very different audiences. Ulver have long ago lost their black metal credibility and I´m not sure how many metal fans listen to them these days (besides their first couple of releases), while Burzum are usually highly regarded among extreme metal fans.

-------------
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - Metal Music Archives

https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 08:32
I have not heard Ulver, but I have one of the ambient/electronic Burzum albums and enjoy it on occasion. I know what you mean about having to disassociate the music from the man behind it. Although the album I have is instrumental, the liner notes contain poetry that is very anti-Christian, with thinly veiled white supremacism throughout, which is indeed disturbing. It might be why I haven't bought any of his other records.

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 08:47
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

I'm obsessed with Ulver right now, but I'll not vote since I haven't heard anything from Burzum.
Obsessed may be a bit strong, but otherwise this.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 11:10
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I have not heard Ulver, but I have one of the ambient/electronic Burzum albums and enjoy it on occasion. I know what you mean about having to disassociate the music from the man behind it. Although the album I have is instrumental, the liner notes contain poetry that is very anti-Christian, with thinly veiled white supremacism throughout, which is indeed disturbing. It might be why I haven't bought any of his other records.
I don't mind anti-religious writing, the more supremacist thing on the other hands leave me cold, and  also angsty and shivering, and dry-mouthed, but that also is my reaction to religious preaching also, religious  conservatism , my rant against Burzum is that he gives paganism and norse mythology bad PR, and hard to make you say that you are interested in Aasatro (aasa faith) aka norse paganism. 

music with norse mythology themes is interesting, but i avoid it if the bands have any links to supremacist, Vigrid or any scare mongering things, i am against church burnings also,  

-------------

Posted By: thellama73
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 11:16
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I don't mind anti-religious writing, the more supremacist thing on the other hands leave me cold, and  also angsty and shivering, and dry-mouthed, but that also is my reaction to religious preaching also, religious  conservatism , my rant against Burzum is that he gives paganism and norse mythology bad PR, and hard to make you say that you are interested in Aasatro (aasa faith) aka norse paganism. 

music with norse mythology themes is interesting, but i avoid it if the bands have any links to supremacist, Vigrid or any scare mongering things, i am against church burnings also,  

I agree, Norse Paganism is very interesting and it's a shame so many of its modern practitioners are essentially Nazis.

I don't mind anti-religious writing either, except when the theme is killing people who disagree with you. That I mind.

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 11:22

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I agree, Norse Paganism is very interesting and it's a shame so many of its modern practitioners are essentially Nazis.

I don't mind anti-religious writing either, except when the theme is killing people who disagree with you. That I mind.
Yeah i'm with you on that part also, murdering people because you disagree with their opinions, belief and life style is morbid, crazy and ethically wrong on all accounts, only logical and rational critsisme, discussions and find a common moral ground is my leading stars of how i want to live. 

I find the story of the Ginnungagap to be the most interesting thing, that everything was created from Fire and Ice, sounds eery close to the Big Bang, Fom the coldest ice and the inferno of fire was the world created, when Ymir roamed the continents and that giant cow, 

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 31 2013 at 13:53
Ulver, though I do find Burzum enjoyable.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk