Replies:
Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:00
Yep, Latimer.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:02
They're the #1 and #2 guitarists of all time, in my book.  If I had to pick one, it'd be Latimer.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:04
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

They're the #1 and #2 guitarists of all time, in my book.  If I had to pick one, it'd be Latimer.
Pretty much so, at least prog guitarists for me.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:19
Of the two, I prefer Gilmour.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:27
Latimer for me, great though Gilmour is. Along with Hackett and Rothery, the four best guitarists of all for me.

I just can't wait till Oct 19th to see him live!

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:35
There is some similarity between those two guitarists, but I prefer Gilmour; Latimer is still in my top 5.

-------------

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:39
I much prefer camel and latimer

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 15:59
Not Gilmour ...

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 17:29
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I much prefer camel and latimer

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 18:44
David Latimer

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 19:21
How many times is this poll going happen lol. Gilmour... again.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 19:50
Gilmour.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 20:20
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

How many times is this poll going happen lol. Gilmour... again.
LOLLOLLOL Latimer fo r me ......again

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 20:22
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Of the two, I prefer Gilmour.

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 20:25
Owh no, it's f*cking gilmour striking us again. Let the camels attack!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 20:36
Originally posted by VOTOMS VOTOMS wrote:

latimer for me

For me too, but Gilmour is also an excellent guitarist.

Posted By: Lynx33
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 22:17
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Not Gilmour ...

seconded

-------------
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 07 2013 at 22:32
Gilmour for me. Though I have been really enjoying getting into Camel since last year, and I really liked Latimer's playing, there's something really special going on in his albums. At least the one's from the original Line-up.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 00:20
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

David Latimer
LOLLOLLOLLOL
Same for me, can't prefer one over the other........

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 01:02
Gilmour for me...though I love Latimer's playing on Mirage and Moonmadness.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 01:40
Latimer is my favorite of all the classic prog guitarists

Posted By: jacek1969
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 05:31
David Gilmour. Latimer also is good, but is not one of the best for me.

-------------
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 06:28
Latimer by a hair.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 06:34
I suspected this would be close.

Both excellent lead guitarists. I'll vote for Gilmour. I prefer Pink Floyd.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 06:51
The original oneTongue
Even if I love both of these cats, I've always felt that Latimer extracted his sound from Gilmour. Not that that counts as anything, Eric Clapton stole/borrowed his sound from Albert King, yet I prefer Clapton. On here though it's my name brother I'm voting for.

Let's all have some Embryo

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 09:34
^ I can see this has turned out to be your favorite Floyd song.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 10:06
Gilmour for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 11:21
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

David Latimer

Andy Gilmour for me.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 13:33
This why I always say that Prog Archives is the most hilarious place on the internet by far!

LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL    LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL 

Comparing the guy in Camel to David Gilmour?

LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL    LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL 

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 13:35
I think you're a bit too attached to that one guy who did that one solo in that one album with the bricks in the wall. 

Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 18:29
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

This why I always say that Prog Archives is the most hilarious place on the internet by far!

LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL    LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL 

LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL    LOL   LOL  LOL   LOL   LOL 

I prefer Gilmour, but Latimer is incredibly great too.

Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 18:32
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I think you're a bit too attached to that one guy who did that one solo in that one album with the bricks in the wall.

Oh, for me Gilmour did so much more than just the solo on Comfortably Numb. Just about every song he touches he enhances with his guitar sound.

Posted By: dennismoore
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 19:13
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Oh, for me Gilmour did so much more than just the solo on Comfortably Numb. Just about every song he touches he enhances with his guitar sound.

Ola mi amigo!

Como estas?

I think Horizons means the solo in Another Brick In The Wall...

Actually, my favorite David Gilmour solo is not a guitar solo at all.  It is when he plays the dog on Seamus (pronounced Shay-mus) on Meddle.  He sticks a microphone in front of a dog and he squeezes the dog until the dog whines & cries.  Sounds just like an Eric Clapton solo!

Seriously, my favorite Gilmour is everything he ever did from Meddle through The Wall...

-------------
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 23:15
Went with Latimer.....just to even things up. I think technically he might be a bit better than Gilmour and many of Gilmour's leads sound alike at times, at least to me.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: August 08 2013 at 23:54

Actually, my favorite David Gilmour solo is not a guitar solo at all.  It is when he plays the dog on Seamus (pronounced Shay-mus) on Meddle.  He sticks a microphone in front of a dog and he squeezes the dog until the dog whines & cries.  Sounds just like an Eric Clapton solo!

^ One of my favourite moments on "Live at Pompeii" Clap

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: August 09 2013 at 07:46
Do we wonder which of them is the best /worst vocalist?

Mild observation is that thinking of DG in the Saucer / Ummagumma days compared to his later years . there's quite a change between his more avant garde leanings and the bluesy statements thereafter.

I would probably regard Latimer as the better composer - just for Snow Goose alone plus the exceptional live version on that 1978 album. Interestingly DG has an exceptional 1978 album as well.

Don't have a favourite.

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: August 09 2013 at 08:34
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

^ One of my favourite moments on "Live at Pompeii" Clap

I agree: Gilmour

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 09 2013 at 13:11
Gilmore

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: August 09 2013 at 13:52
They are remarkably alike in their melodic aproach and tone. But I voted Gilmour because I  like PF better overall.
I also think that Gilmour was somewhat of an inspiration to Latimer, I've read that in an interview somewhere. Been trying to find it but failed so far.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 09 2013 at 14:34
Both great guitar players, and I love both Camel and Floyd, though Camel a bit more.
I choose Latimer, because not only is he a great guitar player, but also a first class composer as well of many, many, great songs. 

Date Posted: August 09 2013 at 21:57

Ola mi amigo!Como estas?I think Horizons means the solo in Another Brick In The Wall...Actually, my favorite David Gilmour solo is not a guitar solo at all.  It is when he plays the dog on Seamus (pronounced Shay-mus) on Meddle.  He sticks a microphone in front of a dog and he squeezes the dog until the dog whines & cries.  Sounds just like an Eric Clapton solo!Seriously, my favorite Gilmour is everything he ever did from Meddle through The Wall...

Yeah, indeed that period from Gilmour is golden. Though I'm not sure I'd include "Obscured by Clouds", nor even "The Wall"... I mean, on that album he doesn't get to play so much guitar as on the previous albums... though once again I come to "Comfortably Numb", which is great, of course. And I definitley wouldn't leave out "The Division Bell", it is just full of beautiful guitar playing, ending the Pink Floyd career on a high note with "High Hopes", which is every bit as great as Comfortably Numb itself, I might even like it a bit better. And speaking of playing live, I believe he has always been wonderful, and hearing what he has done with his older songs on performances from the 80's and later he just gets better and better.

Date Posted: August 09 2013 at 22:01
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Do we wonder which of them is the best /worst vocalist? Mild observation is that thinking of DG in the Saucer / Ummagumma days compared to his later years . there's quite a change between his more avant garde leanings and the bluesy statements thereafter. I would probably regard Latimer as the better composer - just for Snow Goose alone plus the exceptional live version on that 1978 album. Interestingly DG has an exceptional 1978 album as well.Don't have a favourite.

Do you care about doing that poll? I bet that one Gilmour would win by a very wide margin... and indeed I like him better on vocals. However, some of the charm of those early Camel albums that I have come to love is the not so excellent singing... it's got it's charm, and I wouldn't have it any other way, I just love it (of course, not all the songs were sung by Latimer, as far as I understand).

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 10 2013 at 01:46
My two most beloved guitarists. No vote.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 10 2013 at 02:55
Voted Mr Gilmour.
I really like this solo album by him

What a great Crossover prog stuff!

Posted By: ElectricPoetry
Date Posted: August 10 2013 at 06:12
A tough one but I think it has to Latimer.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:55

Gilmour created (or should i say, sculpted) some of the most iconic guitar solos of the progressive era. Dogs. Shine On. Comfortably Numb. Another Brick in the Wall (parts 1 and 2). I love classic-era Camel, but there's nothing on Gilmour's level. Camel and Latimer were *clearly* listening to a *lot* of Floyd. But I'm not sure Gilmour or Waters ever listened to Camel...

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:26
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Come on, Gilmour created (or should i say, sculpted) some of the most iconic guitar solos of the progressive era. Dogs. Shine On. Comfortably Numb. Another Brick in the Wall (parts 1 and 2). I love classic-era Camel, but there's nothing on Gilmour's level. Camel and Latimer were *clearly* listening to a *lot* of Floyd. But I'm not sure Gilmour or Waters ever listened to Camel...

Yeah, I'd love to know what Gilmour thinks about Camel.

Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:43

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Come on, Gilmour created (or should i say, sculpted) some of the most iconic guitar solos of the progressive era. Dogs. Shine On. Comfortably Numb. Another Brick in the Wall (parts 1 and 2). I love classic-era Camel, but there's nothing on Gilmour's level. Camel and Latimer were *clearly* listening to a *lot* of Floyd. But I'm not sure Gilmour or Waters ever listened to Camel...

Yeah, I'd love to know what Gilmour thinks about Camel.

Not mainstream enough :]

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: August 12 2013 at 13:55

Not mainstream enough :]

I'm sure they'd have loved to have been more mainstream, got their songs played on the radio and more Americans listening to them. I think Camel had bad timing and arrived a bit too late. Moonmadness came out in 1976. But Camel kept trying to break into the mainstream, even going pop/New Wave by the late 70s and early 80s.

Despite Floyd's success, I think they were much more original. But I really like 70s Camel as well...

BUT:::::::: I realized I misunderstood Horizon's post, haha, sorry. That's another interesting thing you raise. I have the feeling that Gilmour probably *did* listen to more mainstream music. I'm willing to bet that even though Floyd's my favorite band, I probably wouldn't like the music that influenced Gilmour and Waters that much. You know, all those 50s albums and early 60s rock and roll that he grew up with, but which sound horribly dated to my ears...

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 14:51
Andy is my favorite guitarist. Moreover he is some more than just guitarist, unlike David.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Date Posted: May 09 2015 at 23:04
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

Andy is my favorite guitarist. Moreover he is some more than just guitarist, unlike David.

Gilmour is also more than just a guitarist. He is a superb songwriter and singer. Much better singer than Latimer, that's for sure... and in general I like Floyd's songs better than Camel's (and indeed there are some superb Camel songs... it's just that Floyd is my very favourite band), and many of those were written by Gilmour, and many otheres were co-written with him.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 02:42
DG has a fine voice. Not something that can be said about many prog lead guitarists (Steve Hs). AL sounds ok but a little through the nose and bland at times. Both on par as writers, imaginations plenty. As axe meisters, first class, can listen to these guys play forever and not get tired, they know pacing and phrasing, how to out solos into musical sentences, bless they'd never work in certain metal bands... I think DG may be a little more signature sound oriented i.e. distinctive but AL has his lyricism and big ideas as well.

Choose?

Er...

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 10:05
GILMOUR DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: May 10 2015 at 22:37
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

DG has a fine voice. Not something that can be said about many prog lead guitarists (Steve Hs). AL sounds ok but a little through the nose and bland at times. Both on par as writers, imaginations plenty. As axe meisters, first class, can listen to these guys play forever and not get tired, they know pacing and phrasing, how to out solos into musical sentences, bless they'd never work in certain metal bands... I think DG may be a little more signature sound oriented i.e. distinctive but AL has his lyricism and big ideas as well.

Choose?

Er...

Actually, even though I consider Gilmour to be easily a better singer than Latimer, I think Latimer (and bandmates) sound perfect on their songs, and I wouldn't really have any other "better" singer on Mirage or Moonmadness.

Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Date Posted: May 16 2015 at 06:32
39 votes each and I can't decide between them yet, I've just discovered the Camel song Lawrence and it's made the decision to choose one over the other impossible.

Gilmour has the crafted atmosphere but Latimer the raw emotion. 

THAT TRIPLE SOLO AT THE END! I can't for the life of me think of a better prog song than this, maybe PF's Echoes or Shadow of the Heirophant at a push.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: May 16 2015 at 18:13
few years ago I would not have believed what just happened: gave my vote vote to Latimer, not Gilmour. but lately I've been listening Camel so much and I'm fascinated by Latimer's playing. So beautiful, so emotional.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 06:02
latimer for sure

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 13:41
The guy in Floyd. Latimer is good but he's no Gilmour.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 19 2015 at 15:23

I prefer Gilmour, but Latimer is incredibly great too.

Make up your mind already, Beavis.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 15 2015 at 21:16
Lati is just more

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: June 21 2015 at 14:32
Gilmour

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk