Print Page | Close Window

Opeth working on a new album

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94989
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 02:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Opeth working on a new album
Posted By: Dellinger
Subject: Opeth working on a new album
Date Posted: August 26 2013 at 19:46
I just read that Mikael Akerfeldt is already working on a new album, and has about 30 min of music written already. Sorry, I got this from a Face Book post, and don't have links for the news, but it seems legit.

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 26 2013 at 19:52
They plan to have influences before 60's and 70's prog, like the last record, here we will have Mikael scat singing over a brass quartet - with special guests: Dizzy Gillespie, Buddy Rich, and Mingus. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: adace1
Date Posted: August 26 2013 at 20:41
I was kind of hoping they'd go back to metal, but Heritage really grew on me so I'm cool with them doing something similar to that for their next album.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/adace/?chartstyle=lastfmblue">

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: August 26 2013 at 20:56
I think I'll just continue pretending Ghost Reveries was their final album. Just Like how Pain of Salvation ended on BE.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: RedNightmareKing
Date Posted: August 26 2013 at 21:07
I actually spoke to Frederik at one of their shows about it, he said to expect something a little heavier than Heritage but in the same vein. 

-------------
I consider drone metal to be progressive...

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 26 2013 at 22:10

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 06:09
I don't mind if they don't go back to metal, I just hope the new album is more focused and less noodly.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 06:17
There were rumours that one song from their new album is gonna sound like Goblin stuff. Honestly, I barely can imagine Opeth doing a Goblin-like music. Because Opeth, despite of their heaviness, always were consequent, whilst Goblin are very chaotic.

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I think I'll just continue pretending Ghost Reveries was their final album. Just Like how Pain of Salvation ended on BE.

Btw, 'Heriatage' is the best thing ever happened to Opeth, alongside with 'Blackwater Park'.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 09:43
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

There were rumours that one song from their new album is gonna sound like Goblin stuff. Honestly, I barely can imagine Opeth doing a Goblin-like music. Because Opeth, despite of their heaviness, always were consequent, whilst Goblin are very chaotic.

Btw, 'Heriatage' is the best thing ever happened to Opeth, alongside with 'Blackwater Park'.

They specifically pointed to Roller I believe, which isn't remotely chaotic.

I'd seriously disagree with you on that about Heritage.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 09:55
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

They specifically pointed to Roller I believe, which isn't remotely chaotic.

Still not that kind of sound I usually associate Opeth with.

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'd seriously disagree with you on that about Heritage.

It's a shame that so many people have rejected the natural prog beauty in 'Heritage'. It's a terrific record on all counts. Pure melodism, the sound is something like Canterbury-like or akin to the early ELP, but with brooding Opeth atmosphere.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 10:03
I'd have to listen to it again, but certainly Heritage did not impact me anywhere close to the level of Blackwater Park or Deliverance.  That it harkens back to a "prog rock" sound of yesteryear means nothing to me.  It's the album Mikael wanted to make and that's absolutely fine, but it's an album devoid of the things that drew me into listening to Opeth in the first place.

Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 10:05
^It doesn't just harkens back, it's still an Opeth record, unlike After Crying or The Flower Kings.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 18:50
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I'd have to listen to it again, but certainly Heritage did not impact me anywhere close to the level of Blackwater Park or Deliverance.  That it harkens back to a "prog rock" sound of yesteryear means nothing to me.  It's the album Mikael wanted to make and that's absolutely fine, but it's an album devoid of the things that drew me into listening to Opeth in the first place.

Well, I can easily understand why someone who fell in love with Opeth with his all metal grunting songs wouldn't like Heritage at all. However, I feel it's all right if he feels the need to change his sound, if he has already done all the best he could do with the extreme metal sound, what's the point on going with more of the same? Really, he runs the risk of losing some of his fanbase, but also has the possibility of winning some different kind of fanbase. I found Heritage very enjoyable, though not a masterpiece. I could hardly find a masterpiece with Opeth, though, given that I don't really like grunting. Perhaps now that he's staying away from that kind of singing he'll end up doing some album I can really love.

Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 19:24
I don't like this retro 70s trend in prog music. I like my drums tight and close-miked, not like they're recorded with 4 mics. I don't like jazz in my metal. I don't like organ most of the time. I don't like the 70s aesthetic at all. If Yes went back and re-recorded Close to the Edge digitally and using modern techniques, I probably would like it more.

But no, what I get is bands who used to make complex, intricate metal and then dumbing their sound and their compositions down in favor of a fling with their idols. Looking at you Pain of Salvation and Opeth (to a lesser extent).

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 19:30

re-recorded Close to the Edge digitally and using modern techniques

Ever listen to Transatlantic's "All Of The Above"? Wink

Seriously, AOTA is a masterpiece in its own right.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Date Posted: August 27 2013 at 22:58

I don't like this retro 70s trend in prog music. I like my drums tight
and close-miked, not like they're recorded with 4 mics. I don't like
jazz in my metal. I don't like organ most of the time. I don't like the
70s aesthetic at all. If Yes went back and re-recorded Close to the Edge
digitally and using modern techniques, I probably would like it more.But no, what I get is bands who used to make complex, intricate metal and then dumbing their sound and their
compositions down in favor of a fling with their idols. Looking at you
Pain of Salvation and Opeth (to a lesser extent).

I'm not so sure about all this modern recording techniques. Sure they have their pros (perfect sound quality), but they are musicians, aren't they? They are suposed to be able to play a song together perfectly, I don't see whay each instrument must be recorded separatley and all that... but I thing even in the 70's they did those sort of things (with the available technology). However, I guess that's why often I like live releases more... the sound is more honest and alive (and often it has more energy).

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 09:04
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, I can easily understand why someone who fell in love with Opeth with his all metal grunting songs wouldn't like Heritage at all. However, I feel it's all right if he feels the need to change his sound, if he has already done all the best he could do with the extreme metal sound, what's the point on going with more of the same? Really, he runs the risk of losing some of his fanbase, but also has the possibility of winning some different kind of fanbase. I found Heritage very enjoyable, though not a masterpiece. I could hardly find a masterpiece with Opeth, though, given that I don't really like grunting. Perhaps now that he's staying away from that kind of singing he'll end up doing some album I can really love.

I don't even know if I disagree with that.  I didn't dislike the album, but there was nothing there that would want to make me listen to it on a regular basis.

Posted By: Djam Karet
Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 13:20
OPETH rules!
I love their music.
Damnation is a good one...

Gayle

Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 13:21
And Deliverance is great too!!

Gayle

Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 13:21
And Ghost Revelries is great!

Gayle

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 13:26
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

They plan to have influences before 60's and 70's prog, like the last record, here we will have Mikael scat singing over a brass quartet - with special guests: Dizzy Gillespie, Buddy Rich, and Mingus. 

Hahahaha

Blackwater Park Ragtime Edition?

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 13:53
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Hahahaha

;]?

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 14:33

I don't even know if I disagree with that.  I didn't dislike the album, but there was nothing there that would want to make me listen to it on a regular basis.

Well, for me at least the song "Folklore" is one I like to revisit. Some other nice parts, and the flutes are pretty nice too (though nothing to do with Jethro Tull, as some people have sugested). But if we are talking about this kind of music, I guess I much prefere "Grace for Drowning".

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: August 28 2013 at 15:30

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Hahahaha

;]?

A glimpse into the future perhaps?

I actually quite like this cover

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: September 05 2013 at 06:11
Ghost Rev is great but they have er... progressed

If the new ones as good as Heritage, we have a winner as far as I'm concerned

Stop reminiscing about the past - it's dead and buried - Opeth have moved on and a good job too!

-------------

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: September 05 2013 at 06:42
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Stop reminiscing about the past
Lets hope Opeth will do the same,  the last Opeth and Wilson, was "reminiscing about the past" too much.
70's influence is fine, but it easily becomes "been there, .....got the T-shirt" 

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: September 06 2013 at 12:36
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

top reminiscing about the past - it's dead and buried - Opeth have moved on and a good job too!

That's a lot easier to do if you like their new stuff. I'm in the "losing a fan" stage of Opeth fandom. And it's not like I'm even a big metalhead or anything.

-------------

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: September 06 2013 at 13:36
Their latest album certainly won them a new fan in me.

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: September 11 2013 at 07:08

I couldn't have said better myself.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2013 at 09:34
I enjoyed Heritage. In fact, a lot more than Watershed or Damnation. I'm quite curious to see where they go. I heard some heaviness will return, but that was months ago.

-------------

Posted By: JesusisLord
Date Posted: September 11 2013 at 23:50

Reveries was GREAT, as was WATERSHED...

-------------
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 14:13
I think I'll just continue pretending WATERSHED was their final album. I had to check the cover several times to check Heritage was a Opeth album. They were one of my favourite bands but I'm worried they are on a downward spiral   

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 14:35
Wait why can't they MIX heritage with the insaneness of Ghost Reveries?

I feel like he's pigeonholing himself if he writes only death metal or only 70's prog influenced music. Why not mix the two???

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 15:45
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

I feel like he's pigeonholing himself if he writes only death metal or only 70's prog influenced music. Why not mix the two???

'Cos he has been mixing them for 15 years.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Matte
Date Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:41
Perhaps strings will be included on the next album:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/opeth-mikael-20140106?utm_medium=email&utm_content=sales%40ed-stone.com&utm_campaign=January-11-2014_Digest+1.10.14&utm_source=Digest+1.10.14" rel="nofollow - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/opeth-mikael-20140106?utm_medium=email&utm_content=sales%40ed-stone.com&utm_campaign=January-11-2014_Digest+1.10.14&utm_source=Digest+1.10.14

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: January 12 2014 at 07:15
If they are, hopefully he'll get Dave Stewart to orchestrate, like on Storm Corrosion.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: January 12 2014 at 21:27
I liked how he ended with "hopefully it won't be a mess"... not many artists are so honest about what they are working with.

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 17:28

I liked how he ended with "hopefully it won't be a mess"... not many artists are so honest about what they are working with.

I remember during the Deliverance/Damnation days, I read Mikael's blog on the Opeth site, not sure if it's still there, but I recall he would talk about recording each album, and how it was hell each time, and that he was very modest about the recordings, and even called the early albums bad, as far as production and vocals were concerned.

-------------

Posted By: Matte
Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 12:50
A track-by-track review of Opeths latest album.

http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/first-impressions-of-the-new-untitled-opeth-album-a-track-by-track-review

Wow....this sounds interesting!!

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 12:57
I almost sure it's going to be a masterwork like 'The Raven That Refused to Sing'.

Maybe then Opeth would be considered as a full-blown prog rock band, not just sophisticated death metal one.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 22:18
Well, that review sounds as if they are at last going to make the album I have been wanting them to make. Given that I like them to be metal, but withough grunting, and neither Damnation nor Heritage were metal. It sounds really promising.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk