Print Page | Close Window

Late bloomers - Best success late in the career?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95259
Printed Date: November 28 2014 at 01:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Late bloomers - Best success late in the career?
Posted By: KingBarbarossa
Subject: Late bloomers - Best success late in the career?
Date Posted: September 17 2013 at 23:29
I am curious about late bloomers. As I have observed very often it is mostly in the beginning time of a band's career that they land their most successful songs or albums.

I would like to know which band - in your experience - started to have their biggest success (best albums/best songs) rather late in their career? Please consider bands that that are at least 15-20 years in business.
Who are the late bloomers?

Replies:
Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 17 2013 at 23:39
I think the latest two Pendragon albums are their best.  (Others disagree!)

-------------
Frank Swarbrick

--

Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 00:55
Galahad comes to mind, although I'm not familiar with their early material, just going on the general ratings/reviews here, and the latest, 'Beyond The Realms Of Euphoria' is a real keeper.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 01:34
Some might say IQ although that is highly debateable

I would go for Pallas. Never liked them until I heard Dreams Of Men. That's a barn stormer!

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 03:04
Even though I liked Unfolded Like Staircase better personally, Discipline's most recent album is a ridiculously good release, especially considering it was released 14 years after its predecessor and 17 after their first album.   

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 03:33

Porcupine Tree

Debut : 1991
Golden Era : 2000-2005

-------------
My Music: www.jokeinc.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - www.jokeinc.bandcamp.com
My blog: www.tamijo2013.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - www.tamijo2013.wordpress.com

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 03:38
Pineapple Thief

-------------
Music - The Sound Librarian
...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...

Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 03:43
The Beatles

Debut : 1963
Golden Era : 1968-70

LOL

-------------
My blog: www.tamijo2013.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - www.tamijo2013.wordpress.com

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 04:01
Some artists who have created one or more of their best albums later in their career (imho):

Kate Bush released her best album 33 years after her debut.
echolyn have released good albums throughout their career, but their second self-titled album is one of the greatest 21st century masterpieces.
The last studio album of Rush is quite at level with their great albums from the 1977-1982 period: a second bloom.

-------------

Posted By: ScorchedFirth
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 04:58
Big Big Train

-------------
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 06:23
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I think the latest two Pendragon albums are their best.  (Others disagree!)

I've just bought the entire Pendragon discography and the last two albums are indeed excellent if rather different. But The Masquerade Overture is sensational and so is Not of This World, so they've been doing it for ages.

I'd make a case for Camel - whilst their first 5 albums are magnificent, as are one or two in the 80s, Andy Latimer came back after 30 years with a new band and recorded two absolutely remarkable albums which are up with the best.

And I believe there might be another to come.

-------------
I have many faults. Being wrong is not one of them.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 08:33
Not on PA, but borderline prog in my opinion (somewhere between post punk and RIO), the Dutch band The Ex has been around since the 80s, and though they've had a lot of lineup changes over the years, their creative trajectory has been one of consistent improvement, sophistication, and refinement.   I have not heard all their albums, but I have a few albums from all different phases of their career, and I think their last two, released in the past couple of years, may be their best.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 08:39
Originally posted by ScorchedFirth ScorchedFirth wrote:

Big Big Train

FIrst band I thought of. Everything has fell into places since The Underfall Yard. Amazing work

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 09:55
Pallas, Pendragon and Galahad are the perfect examples. I didn't like any of their earlier releases, but all of them have found their own sound late in their careers.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 10:26
I don't think IQ are 'late bloomers' per se but I like the last 2 the best.

-------------
Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 11:29

Big Big Train

Yeah, that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Rush has obviously continued a great run of success, but most would argue their best work came early on. So they wouldn't really be late bloomers, just consistent.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 12:08
Hmm, I'm definitely a fan of early Pendragon and IQ, not their later music.
I do agree with Tamijo about the Beatles.
Maybe Talk Talk is a good example too. They moved from commercial to more daring music, didn't they?

Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 17:04
Isn't that interesting? When I go through my collection almost every band has produced their strongest material in the beginning of their career. To find the opposite it actually takes some research effort.

So far I think Big Big Train seems to be among the suggestions that I find resonating as one of the most iconic examples.

I reckon this is not much different when we look beyond the boundaries of prog rock...

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 18 2013 at 21:49
I think Hackett reached a plateau he has not come down from in the late 90s and is still going strong. Vangelis' 90s output is also his best.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 01:28
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I think Hackett reached a plateau he has not come down from in the late 90s and is still going strong. Vangelis' 90s output is also his best.

Voices and El Greco are great and might well be my favourite Vangelis albums although Mask (80's) and Heaven and Hell (70,s) are also very strong contenders. Vangelis has had a wonderful career spanning  5 decades.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 03:37
Big Big Train

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 06:04
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Maybe Talk Talk is a good example too. They moved from commercial to more daring music, didn't they?
They did, but i think album.asp?id=5834" rel="nofollow - The Colour Of Spring  is there best output, even though i agree the last two albums was more experimental, I think http://www.progarchives.com/forum/album.asp?id=5834" rel="nofollow - The Colour Of Spring  is a great example of a commercial album of a very high quality.

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 06:10
Originally posted by KingBarbarossa KingBarbarossa wrote:

Isn't that interesting? When I go through my collection almost every band has produced their strongest material in the beginning of their career. To find the opposite it actually takes some research effort.

So far I think Big Big Train seems to be among the suggestions that I find resonating as one of the most iconic examples.

I reckon this is not much different when we look beyond the boundaries of prog rock...

I dont agree, I belive I can come up with a lot of band having this curve :
2-3 albums not perfect but looking for the right thing
Some albums - find the "thing" the golden era
Later period gets weaker, hard to keep up the good work, and still not just copy what they did before.

So what you could say is rather, that most bands have the strongest period in the mid of their career, but some never top that first album.

And then there is those that have the ability to change a lot, making it hard to even decide when they did peak
(Crimson, Gabriel, Bowie, Zappa, and may be also Floyd)

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 06:14
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

They did, but i think album.asp?id=5834" rel="nofollow - - The Colour Of Spring  is a great example of a commercial album of a very high quality.

Yes, you're right. Their best is not necessarily their most experimental album.
Maybe The Colour Of Spring was their best, yes.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 07:17
Surprised to see that there's been no mentioning of Tangerine Dream. I'm very much a fan of the first era, but I've seen so many on this board refer to the 80s as the best TD output. Tangram, Exit, White Eagle, Hyperborea and the likes.

Also Miles Davis, at least for this site. I would imagine most folks here are into his fusion output over his bop period. Personally I believe he went from strength to strength up until the mid 70s. The same goes for Porcupine Tree, although I very much prefer the psychedelic years.

I've seen IQ mentioned as well in this thread. I feel quite the opposite. They haven't made anything as good as The Wake imo.

Oh almost forgot about Electric Orange. Their two albums Morbus and Krautrock from Hell are to me the pinnacle of their respective career, and by that time they'd been dishing out a good portion of albums. Seems like the curve has broken though. The two latest from them don't do as much for me. Netto and that Roman numeral album feel like they've hit the autopilot.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 12:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Also Miles Davis, at least for this site. I would imagine most folks here are into his fusion output over his bop period.

Actually I prefer his pure jazz style of the 50's.

For my taste Birth Control took a little time to really nail it.
Although I do like Manfred Mann's Earth Band early albums, I think they have released one of the strongest albums in progressive Rock - Solar Fire only after a few albums.

Hmmm...I thought I could think of some more...

-------------
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.."

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 13:11
Well looking at the band VANDEN PLAS I see a major comeuppance in performance and refinement over the last 8 years, which actually yields only 2 albums during this time period, but it's there best!
Certainly, CHRIST O and SERAPHIC CLOCKWORK are by far, in my opinion, VANDEN PLAS's best and most advanced compositions to date. It is very clear to that VP are getting better with age and more refined at that.
I cannot wait till their next release, but I do not know when that may be. :(

-------------
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 13:19

Surprised to see that there's been no mentioning of Tangerine Dream. I'm very much a fan of the first era, but I've seen so many on this board refer to the 80s as the best TD output. Tangram, Exit, White Eagle, Hyperborea and the likes.
Also Miles Davis, at least for this site. I would imagine most folks here are into his fusion output over his bop period. Personally I believe he went from strength to strength up until the mid 70s. The same goes for Porcupine Tree, although I very much prefer the psychedelic years.
I've seen IQ mentioned as well in this thread. I feel quite the opposite. They haven't made anything as good as The Wake imo.
Oh almost forgot about Electric Orange. Their two albums Morbus and Krautrock from Hell are to me the pinnacle of their respective career, and by that time they'd been dishing out a good portion of albums. Seems like the curve has broken though. The two latest from them don't do as much for me. Netto and that Roman numeral album feel like they've hit the autopilot.

IQ have been incredible since 1993. I say this cause Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably are pretty Mediocre efforts, but missing a key fixture in the band (Peter Nichols) is a good reason why they kinda 'blew chunks' between 1987 to 1989. Although, i still feel wholeheartedly, that IQ are the very best Neo Prog Band of all time since 1993 and on.
The consistency of quality album output is ridiculously amazing. I've had many discussions here about IQ, and I don't think they would fit into this thread. Far too to good and for 20 years straight!

-------------
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 13:58
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

IQ have been incredible since 1993. I say this cause Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably are pretty Mediocre efforts, but missing a key fixture in the band (Peter Nichols) is a good reason why they kinda 'blew chunks' between 1987 to 1989. Although, i still feel wholeheartedly, that IQ are the very best Neo Prog Band of all time since 1993 and on.
The consistency of quality album output is ridiculously amazing. I've had many discussions here about IQ, and I don't think they would fit into this thread. Far too to good and for 20 years straight!

I'm not sure they 'belong' in this thread either and I hinted at that in my post but imho their last 4 lp's are the best they have ever done and the last 2 the best . And I like the early ones quite a bit also so I'm not trying to say those aren't excellent. I simply like the 'newer' sound thay have developed the last 5-10 years.

-------------
Et In Arcadia Ego

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 14:07
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

IQ have been incredible since 1993. I say this cause Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably are pretty Mediocre efforts, but missing a key fixture in the band (Peter Nichols) is a good reason why they kinda 'blew chunks' between 1987 to 1989. Although, i still feel wholeheartedly, that IQ are the very best Neo Prog Band of all time since 1993 and on. The consistency of quality album output is ridiculously amazing. I've had many discussions here about IQ, and I don't think they would fit into this thread. Far too to good and for 20 years straight!

I'm not sure they 'belong' in this thread either and I hinted at that in my post but imho their last 4 lp's are the best they have ever done and the last 2 the best . And I like the early ones quite a bit also so I'm not trying to say those aren't excellent. I simply like the 'newer' sound thay have developed the last 5-10 years.

Oh yes. I totally understand and see your point very clearly and I must say your opinion is a lovely one at. IQ's last 2 efforts are incredible pieces of music, but for my Tastes THE WAKE and EVER I'd put ahead of those 2.
I still feel that THE WAKE was the best conceptual album of the 80's...well second best cause Queensryche's Mindcrime is #1....my goodness now their is a band that got worse as time went on...sadly. :(

-------------

Posted By: elbownut
Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 14:23

Big Big Train

This band and I would also add Anathema IMO

-------------
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 14:36
Just realised that I forgot the most obvious one:

Anathema

The last two albums have been brilliant. I have about 4 albums prior to those and they are nothing special to my ears.

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 14:38
Originally posted by elbownut elbownut wrote:

Big Big Train

This band and I would also add Anathema IMO

sorry I posted and then saw your postSmile

Date Posted: September 19 2013 at 23:12

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

IQ have been incredible since 1993. I say this cause Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably are pretty Mediocre efforts, but missing a key fixture in the band (Peter Nichols) is a good reason why they kinda 'blew chunks' between 1987 to 1989. Although, i still feel wholeheartedly, that IQ are the very best Neo Prog Band of all time since 1993 and on. The consistency of quality album output is ridiculously amazing. I've had many discussions here about IQ, and I don't think they would fit into this thread. Far too to good and for 20 years straight!

Oh yes. I totally understand and see your point very clearly and I must say your opinion is a lovely one at. IQ's last 2 efforts are incredible pieces of music, but for my Tastes THE WAKE and EVER I'd put ahead of those 2.
I still feel that THE WAKE was the best conceptual album of the 80's...well second best cause Queensryche's Mindcrime is #1....my goodness now their is a band that got worse as time went on...sadly. :(
Fair enough and I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I think IQ are even better on the last 2 even though Ever and The Wake are excellent.
It would be interesting to ask the band itself what they think is their best work.

-------------
Et In Arcadia Ego

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 02:35
Personally I would also throw Rush into the discussion. I have never been such a big fan of their seventies albums as others are. Seemed to be a metal band trying to be a prog band. Then the eighties saw them develop their own brand of heavy techno based rock. Would that make them late bloomers? Possibly not as its more personal taste I suppose but for me they were. I also like the mature rock style of their 90's albums and the excellent and underrated Vapor Trails.

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 03:38
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Big Big Train

Yeah, that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.Rush has obviously continued a great run of success, but most would argue their best work came early on. So they wouldn't really be late bloomers, just consistent.

Consistent? Not really. After "Signals" they made three albums which did not reach the level of their 1977-1982 output. Herafter the decline proceeded for some time: "Presto" was disappointing and "Roll the Bones" does not even reach the two star level in my book. But it is hard to be consistent for some 38 years and I think they came as close to such an achievement as one might expect.

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 04:04
Rush - Just got better and better in the 80-90's and even up to mid 00's
Talk Talk - Colour Of Spring is incredible and the next two minimalist releases ( Try see the Montraux gig on YT)
TD IMO peaked with Tangram in 1980
Just cannot see the Big Big Train thang, personal taste I guess
Porcupine Tree anyone- Deadwing, In Absentia and FOABP
I agree about Vangelis in the 90's - El Greco and Voices were incredible but China, Direct, Heaven & Hell, La Fete etc in the 70's....
Oldfield's - Songs From Distant Earth from 94//? Not sure of date
Caravan - Battle of Hastings from the 90's - very underrated ( cringe) album
and as mentioned earllier Pineapple Thief - Someone Here Is Missing 00's- excellent stuff from Bruce S.

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 04:06
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Big Big Train

Yeah, that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.Rush has obviously continued a great run of success, but most would argue their best work came early on. So they wouldn't really be late bloomers, just consistent.

Consistent? Not really. After "Signals" they made three albums which did not reach the level of their 1977-1982 output. Herafter the decline proceeded for some time: "Presto" was disappointing and "Roll the Bones" does not even reach the two star level in my book. But it is hard to be consistent for some 38 years and I think they came as close to such an achievement as one might expect.
I thought Roll The Bones was a strong album, as was Counterparts, Vapor Trails and last but not least Power Windows. Again it is all subjectiveSmile

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 04:19
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Big Big Train

I thought Roll The Bones was a strong album, as was Counterparts, Vapor Trails and last but not least Power Windows. Again it is all subjectiveSmile

It surely is. And I see that the two albums I find disappointing are both rated between 3.0 and 3.2, so most listeners have another opinion here.

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 06:40

I haven't yet heard the two Nichols free albums. Maybe that's not such a bad thing after all...
I do have Frequency which in my humble opinion is the best album they've released ever (pun intended) since The WakeSmile 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 06:42
I've never quite understood why they didn't just call themselves Huge Train or Very Big Train instead of having the same word in there twice...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 07:03
LOL

-------------
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.."

Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 13:52

Rush - Just got better and better in the 80-90's and even up to mid 00's
Talk Talk - Colour Of Spring is incredible and the next two minimalist releases ( Try see the Montraux gig on YT)
TD IMO peaked with Tangram in 1980
Just cannot see the Big Big Train thang, personal taste I guess
Porcupine Tree anyone- Deadwing, In Absentia and FOABP
I agree about Vangelis in the 90's - El Greco and Voices were incredible but China, Direct, Heaven & Hell, La Fete etc in the 70's....
Oldfield's - Songs From Distant Earth from 94//? Not sure of date
Caravan - Battle of Hastings from the 90's - very underrated ( cringe) album
and as mentioned earllier Pineapple Thief - Someone Here Is Missing 00's- excellent stuff from Bruce S.

El Greco is incredible. My 2nd all time favorite Vangelis composition. :)
First being Bladerunner of course. :)

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 16:21

Rush has obviously continued a great run of success, but most would argue their best work came early on. So they wouldn't really be late bloomers, just consistent.

Grace Under Pressure is a fantastic album. It has a more in-your-face aggressiveness the previous three albums didn't have. Every song is top-shelf Rush, IMO. Power Windows is also an album that rates very highly among Rush fans.

I agree with Presto and Roll The Bones being the valley among the peaks of the band's career. Some songs on those two have a truly "WTF" pallor to them. Very strange, indeed. The worst offenders are songs like "Neurotica," "Anagram (For Mongo)" and "You Bet Your Life."

Counterparts was a return to form, and years later Vapor Trails was a real kick in the pants! Snakes & Arrows was uneven (some killer songs, some drab ones) but the latest album more than made up for it.

-------------
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQrdZ0QQsassZmusicosm" rel="nofollow - http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQrdZ0QQsassZmusicosm

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: September 20 2013 at 17:32

Big Big Train

It surely is. And I see that the two albums I find disappointing are both rated between 3.0 and 3.2, so most listeners have another opinion here.

Good, you saw what I was getting at. Smile

But it is as you say, Rush has been as close to consistent as you can get, which is hard enough itself.

Date Posted: September 21 2013 at 01:28
Vangelis - bingo! - But: I can understand why Vangelis may not fit into this list for some people. I think he produced some incredible works in his earlier, electronic career. His style changed significantly and now leans much more towards classical and soundtrack scores - a change which I happen to love. It is said that he is working on a new choral symphony. I loved Mythodea and El Greco a lot (The track with Montserrat Caballe incredible - I just wished he had used a real orchestra for that, but still, one of my all-time favs...). I loved Voices a lot as well. I can hardly wait for the new opus...

For this thread however, I would say Vangelis is more like those who got some kind of a second wind in their career as opposed to be a late bloomer in general...

Date Posted: September 23 2013 at 01:42
Originally posted by KingBarbarossa KingBarbarossa wrote:

Vangelis - bingo! - But: I can understand why Vangelis may not fit into this list for some people. I think he produced some incredible works in his earlier, electronic career. His style changed significantly and now leans much more towards classical and soundtrack scores - a change which I happen to love. It is said that he is working on a new choral symphony. I loved Mythodea and El Greco a lot (The track with Montserrat Caballe incredible - I just wished he had used a real orchestra for that, but still, one of my all-time favs...). I loved Voices a lot as well. I can hardly wait for the new opus...

For this thread however, I would say Vangelis is more like those who got some kind of a second wind in their career as opposed to be a late bloomer in general...

YEP!
 I think its worth just checking the albums he made 1975-1985
Heaven and Hell
Ignacio
Albedo 0.39
La Fete Sauvage
Spiral
Beauborg
Opera Sauvage
China
See You Later
Chariots of Fire
Blade Runner
Antartica
Soil Festivities
Mask

I probably missed some as that was off the top of my head. I think this represents the most incredible run of albums by any musician in the sphere of electronic music. Yes I am fanboy but the idea of him being be late bloomer is to be honest way off the mark. All those albums were recorded in London (Shepherds Bush) btw.

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:54
Well, if I can include an individual artist (separate from his many bands), I'd say Roine Stolt is a good example.  He started the Flower Kings at around age 40, and it's undoubtedly been his most successful musical endeavor.  Also by far his best music has been with that band, IMO.

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: September 24 2013 at 13:41
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Grace Under Pressure is a fantastic album. It has a more in-your-face aggressiveness the previous three albums didn't have. Every song is top-shelf Rush, IMO. Power Windows is also an album that rates very highly among Rush fans.

I agree with Presto and Roll The Bones being the valley among the peaks of the band's career. Some songs on those two have a truly "WTF" pallor to them. Very strange, indeed. The worst offenders are songs like "Neurotica," "Anagram (For Mongo)" and "You Bet Your Life."

Counterparts was a return to form, and years later Vapor Trails was a real kick in the pants! Snakes & Arrows was uneven (some killer songs, some drab ones) but the latest album more than made up for it.

Roll the Bones is the only Rush album since Fly By Night that I would rate under 4 stars; I always thought it was just a not-as-good version of Presto, even though it's a solid effort overall and has some really good songs.

I think Presto is incredible, though, stuff like Anagram might seem simplistic but the point of that song is really the lyrics anyway. Also, I always felt that songs like Anagram and Hand Over Fist that had rather basic music were really supposed to be vehicles for Geddy to show how he could really carry a song.  Both of the songs would kind of suck without his voice, in my opinion, but I don't mean that as a knock on the songwriting; just that the songs were written in a way that specifically catered to Geddy's style and allowed him to be the driving force behind them.

-------------
In blood, he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune.

Posted By: martinravn
Date Posted: September 25 2013 at 09:44
Pink Floyd's peak  was late too. Dark Side Of The Moon were released 15 years after The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and The Wall 22 years after.

Date Posted: September 25 2013 at 14:12
Originally posted by martinravn martinravn wrote:

Pink Floyd's peak  was late too. Dark Side Of The Moon were released 15 years after The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and The Wall 22 years after.

Ermm

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: September 25 2013 at 15:06

Now I know why Dad loved the Floyd so much - they were contemporaries of Elvis and Jerry LeeLOL

-------------

In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 25 2013 at 20:03

Pink Floyd's peak  was late too. Dark Side Of The Moon were released 15
years after The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and The Wall 22 years after.

Pink Floyd was more precocious than late bloomers, truth be told. When they released Piper, Rog, Rick and Nick were 15 yrs old while Syd was only 12.

-------------
Excuse-moi d'casser ton fun mais j'me cherche une rime pour automne

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 25 2013 at 21:23
I'm sure this won't be a very popular post... hell, even I have to disagree with myself. But Yes's most popular album for the rest of the world (outside our little prog world) was 90125, 14 years after their debut.

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: September 26 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm sure this won't be a very popular post... hell, even I have to disagree with myself. But Yes's most popular album for the rest of the world (outside our little prog world) was 90125, 14 years after their debut.

While there is truth in that, they were at least as popular in the 1970's as they were in the 90125 era.  They had a hit song for the first time, is about the only difference.   They were one of the top touring acts in the world in the mid 70's, and I grew up hearing All Good People and Roundabout on the radio daily (mid-70's to mid-80's).

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: October 06 2013 at 06:56
^Interesting argument by Dellinger, of course this means that Genesis didn't start "blooming" until "And then there were three..." and they reached their peak with "Invisible Touch"! I'm sure if we did a national poll "Invisible Touch" would win the best Genesis Record award, but try telling that to the prog world

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: October 06 2013 at 10:14
I've looked over all the posts and unless I'm blind nobody seems to have mentioned Phideaux! Ok they didn't properly get going until 2004 but technically speaking it was a 15 wait before they hit the big time with "Doomsday Afternoon" (due to the 1992 debut "Friction").

Does "Comedy of errors" count? They did form in 1984 and not release anything good until 2011, but that's because they hadn't released anything at all until then...

Date Posted: October 09 2013 at 09:26
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

I've looked over all the posts and unless I'm blind nobody seems to have mentioned Phideaux! Ok they didn't properly get going until 2004 but technically speaking it was a 15 wait before they hit the big time with "Doomsday Afternoon" (due to the 1992 debut "Friction").

Does "Comedy of errors" count? They did form in 1984 and not release anything good until 2011, but that's because they hadn't released anything at all until then...

Comedy Of Errors wouldn't count as late bloomers in my opinion. They had some disbandonment issues and couldn't ink any proper record deals or get signed long term with reasonable fianances. They just never got a fair backing until 2009...thank Christ. :) however, they did put out an EP but I have never heard it. It's never seen the light of day I believe. Anyway. Comedy of Errors rise to glory and power is an unbelievable story. I am so happy for them and I am very happy I discovered them....all thanks to PA of course. :)

-------------

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: November 13 2013 at 08:34
I'm going to go with a fairly strict definition of late bloomer here where not only does the band have a really strong period some way into their career, but they also shouldn't have had any brief snatches of comparable success earlier in their career. So, Beatles don't count for me because whilst their earlier albums might not have be artistic masterpieces, they did propel the guys into becoming the biggest pop band in the world, and likewise Pink Floyd don't count because their debut was incredible (though if you see Syd-era and post-Syd Floyd as different bands you might argue that the latter was a late bloomer).

Agree with the nominations of Big Big Train and Galahad so far. I also want to shine a light on Final Conflict, whose earlier albums aren't very well known and aren't especially praised or championed by the select few who do know them, but last year's Return of the Artisan was downright incredible.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: November 15 2013 at 15:07
Not a prog band, but Swans released their best album 29 years after their debut.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 15 2013 at 20:04
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I agree, the OP set the bar at "Best Success," not "Best Music"!  

Genesis would also fit with that criterion.  

For "best music late in the career," I'd say that King Crimson would be a candidate....the LTIA trio of LTIA, SABB and Red are much more consistent and muscular than the first three KC releases.  

The Discipine era also had some legs.  Fripp proved that, by reinventing the band but retaining key elements of the musical vision, improvement could be found.  

After Discipline, the results are mixed, but still pretty darn good by any standards.

Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:49
I gotta go with VANDEN PLAS. Their last 2 albums have been by far, in my opinion, their best and most complete works to date. Really hone their sound wonderfully and uniquely on CHRIST O and SEPAPHIC CLOCKWORK.
I would really put both these albums as 2 of some of the very best progressive metal albums in the 21st century...at least from 2000-2010. Exceptional works. I really look forward to hear Vanden Plas's next effort....when ever that may be ?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk