Print Page | Close Window

Longest Prog Studio Album?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95462
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 07:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Longest Prog Studio Album?
Posted By: Xonty
Subject: Longest Prog Studio Album?
Date Posted: October 05 2013 at 16:23
Hi, I was wondering what the longest (and shortest) prog studio albums were, and all I could really think of was The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway at 94 minutes along with stuff like Tales From Topographic Oceans at 83, but there's got to be longer ones that I'd like to know about. The longest studio album I know of is Buckethead's "In Search Of The" which adds up to almost 9 and a half hours over 13 albums! I was wondering if there was anything that extreme in prog? Thanks for any feedback

Replies:
Posted By: iamathousandapples
Date Posted: October 05 2013 at 22:27
The Colour Spectrum clocks in at about 2 and a half hours over 9 EPs. it's definitely the most impressive album I know of.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/thamazingbender" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 16:56
A few Flower Kings studio albums are double CDs, with total lengths going well over 2 hours.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 17:07
I'm thinking Zappa's Lather - which was originally planned as a 1977 4 album vinyl set that never happened.  When it was finally released in it's intended form on CD in 1996 it covered 3 CD's and was over 157 minutes (2.6 hours). 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 17:22
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I'm thinking Zappa's Lather - which was originally planned as a 1977 4 album vinyl set that never happened.  When it was finally released in it's intended form on CD in 1996 it covered 3 CD's and was over 157 minutes (2.6 hours).

^^^I think that's the winner. If there's something of a longer duration lurking out there, I'm curious as to what it is.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 17:43
i thought it was Mike Oldfield's Incantations, since it is indeed the longest prog rock song, AND the longest song in general (that uses REAL instruments)

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 17:44
Well if your counting boxsets probably King Crimson - The Road To Red at 21 CD's.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 22 2013 at 19:40
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well if your counting boxsets probably King Crimson - The Road To Red at 21 CD's.

Well played, unfortunately the OP is looking for studio not live albums.  And now that I noticed that, maybe Zappa's Lather doesn't count since it includes some live stuff from "Zappa in New York" Unhappy

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 23 2013 at 06:34
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

The longest studio album I know of is Buckethead's "In Search Of The" which adds up to almost 9 and a half hours over 13 albums!

So surely that's 13 albums then and not one long one, even if it is a continuing concept or theme?

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 05:39
PG II , (vinyl) it goes on forever D:)

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 05:44
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

i thought it was Mike Oldfield's Incantations, since it is indeed the longest prog rock song, AND the longest song in general (that uses REAL instruments)

Now you got me scared, do people actualy play on unreal instruments, that is sick.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 06:56
I have a Yes box set that continues for many hours - Yes In a Word - but are we counting compilations?

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 08:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The longest studio album I know of is Buckethead's "In Search Of The" which adds up to almost 9 and a half hours over 13 albums!

So surely that's 13 albums then and not one long one, even if it is a continuing concept or theme?

I mean that it comes as 13 separate discs that are bought. You wouldn't say that a double album like the Lamb Lies Down is 2 albums and not one long one because it's on 2 separate discs? Or have I misunderstood your post? Ermm

Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 08:34
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Incantations is definitely one of the longest prog songs (72 minutes I think?) but there are many albums longer Unhappy

Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 10:04
And Incantations has since been overtaken by Transatlantic's The Whirlwind (77:58).

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 14:26
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I have a Yes box set that continues for many hours - Yes In a Word - but are we counting compilations?

It's "In a Word: Yes (1969-), oh and i saw ur unboxing video of it, which was nice (and the first in my opinion)

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 15:36
If you stitch all The Flower Kings albums together you probably wouldn't know you were listening to different albums. (Banks Of Eden excepted)
Wink

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 15:38
What about the albums that feel the longest to get through?Big smile 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Chozal
Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 05:40
^ Still Incantations

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Infinite-Progability-Drive/141225469388975" rel="nofollow - The Infinite Progability Drive , feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 09:41

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I mean that it comes as 13 separate discs that are bought. You wouldn't say that a double album like the Lamb Lies Down is 2 albums and not one long one because it's on 2 separate discs? Or have I misunderstood your post? Ermm
It depends if it's 13 separate albums or 13 individual discs making one album. Even after reading about it on Wikepedia, I'm still not sure which this is.

Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I find the one's with strong concepts feel like they go on forever because you have to concentrate so much (e.g. Metropolis Pt. 2 by Dream Theater, L'Heptade by Harmonium, etc) Or sometimes the opposite, like anything slow or minimalistic like electronic stuff 

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:33
Ayreon has got some long albums as well.

Posted By: iamathousandapples
Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Stardust We Are. I always forget about like half of the songs on the album(usually instrumental interludes) and I have to sit through them all to get to the title track

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/thamazingbender" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: rickdog
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 01:31
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/chris_judge_smith" rel="nofollow - Chris Judge Smith - Curly's Airships - 143:55 on two CDs, no live material
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/chris_judge_smith/curlys_airships/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly%27s_Airships

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 02:38
Aynthing by The Flower Kings of course, but Amarok by Mike Oldfield was long considered to be the longest one-piece progrocksong, lasting exactly one hour.

Oh, and Øresund Space Collective has some long albums.

I can remember an electronic artist who wrote a song that lasted a few years, it's somewhere on youtube.

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 03:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

If you stitch all The Flower Kings albums together you probably wouldn't know you were listening to different albums. (Banks Of Eden excepted)
Wink

I agree with you.  I like the music, but it does go on a bit and personally its hard for me to tell these apart.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:21
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Wink

I agree with you.  I like the music, but it does go on a bit and personally its hard for me to tell these apart.

sounds like music then that.. well.. SUCKS! LOL I agree... the albums were FAR too long and absolutely f**king nothing good or distinctive about them.  Generic prog at its worst. (nipped Camel at the line.. at least Latimer's horrible vocals do give Camel an air of distinctiveness) TFK do all tend to run together.. the albums .. the songs everything.  Yuck...

The only use I have for those albums are as drink coasters...  Raff wouldn't let me use her DT albums.. but those TFK CD's... she had NO problem with those. 

hah...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:28
Out of my personal collection, probably Joe's Garage by Zappa

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:11
Just bought Radio Massacre International - Rain Falls In Grey Redux, which is all the studio work that went into the original album. Clocks in at 6 hours, 26 minutes, 41 seconds. Not bad for 20 quid. 

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:42
A new addition to the original purpose of this list would be Gandalf's Fist's The Clockwork Fable, a triple concept album lasting a whopping 194 minutes!

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Wink

sounds like music then that.. well.. SUCKS! LOL I agree... the albums were FAR too long and absolutely f**king nothing good or distinctive about them.  Generic prog at its worst. (nipped Camel at the line.. at least Latimer's horrible vocals do give Camel an air of distinctiveness) TFK do all tend to run together.. the albums .. the songs everything.  Yuck...

The only use I have for those albums are as drink coasters...  Raff wouldn't let me use her DT albums.. but those TFK CD's... she had NO problem with those. 

hah...

Nice to see that band be put to good use. Wink

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 01:38
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Wink

hah...

Nice to see that band be put to good use. Wink

my, my, my, my... How things have changed here, since I used to get insukted for my poor TFK reviews in the TFK appreciation thread, some 10 years agoLOL

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 14:21
In the old days of the LP certainly Klaus Schulze had a thing for cramming lots of minutes on every side (in which, to be honest, not always a lot of stuff was happening). A few of them (single discs) scratch at the one hour mark, and the double album "X" is more than 115 minutes long.
This is quite remarkable given that most people did  35-45 minutes per disc those days and it seemed that there are physical difficulties to put in more (I wasn't enough interested in the issue to really figure out what the problem was if there was one). Strange that by and large the whole bonus track thing and longer albums only started with the advent of the CD, given that Mr Schulze could do much longer LPs already.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 22:52
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well played, unfortunately the OP is looking for studio not live albums.  And now that I noticed that, maybe Zappa's Lather doesn't count since it includes some live stuff from "Zappa in New York" Unhappy

Well Lather was split up into 4 releases but different versions e.g. a vocal and instrumental Gregory Peccary. Live In NY was one of those split releases. So Lather counts.

Perhaps the new KC - I'e not got it but though performed live it has the crowd mixed out.

Subterranea by IQ goes over two full Cds.

How about Magma - a concept that lasted 10 albums.

Calling All Stations fully compiled goes for 2 CDs.

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 05:46
Lamonte Young's The Well Tuned Piano is five hours, and I believe William Basinki's The Disintegration Loops is around the same. As for prog specifically, the longest I have is Soundtracks For The Blind by Swans, which is easily over two hours, probably closer to 2 and a half.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk