Print Page | Close Window

The Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95546
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 05:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)
Posted By: Svetonio
Subject: The Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 02:28
My favourite The Rolling Stones' song , from my favourite album by them..

I think that of all these old & legendary Rock bands who are still in bussines, The Rolling Stones look the best in that image of  "wheelchair rockers".

This is a footage from their concert in my hometown, 2007.

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 02:40
I have odd faves from The Stones, at least compared to what my friends listen to - as well as their fathers. 
I really enjoy some of the tracks that happened in collaboration between Jagger and Mick Taylor. 'Sway' from Sticky Fingers is just so beautiful. I always return to that one.
Then there's three off of Goats Head Soup, imo their best album. '100 Years ago', 'Can you hear the Music?' and the dizzying mantraing blues ride of 'Hide your Love'.
'Play with Fire' is another one I love to death. UHHH 'Citadel' and '2000 Light years from Home'Heart

Lots of others, but that's just for starters.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 06:30
All of Satanic Majesties is out of this world - I rate this alongside Crazy world Of Arthur Brown and After Bathing At Baxter's as my knock-out Psych classics.
'Can You Hear Me Knocking', 'Sister Morphine' and 'Bitch' off Sticky Fingers
Most of 'Goats Head Soup' - especially '100 Years Ago'
'Fingerprint File' and 'Time Waits For No-one' off It's Only Rock and Roll.
'Heaven' and 'Hang Fire' off Tattoo You.
Like Dave said, that's for starters.........

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 07:40
I absolutely love Satanic Majesties...they out Peppered Pepper on that one. Unlike Pepper it's more darker sounding. For me the first album that counts is Aftermath, and the only post-Some Girls albums that matter are Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge. Some gems in their catalogue (some have been mentioned already):

I Am Waiting
She Smiles Sweetly
2000 Man
2000 Light Years From Home
She's A Rainbow
We Love You
Jigsaw Puzzle
Monkey Man
Happy (sung by Keef)
100 Years Ago
Fingerprint File
Hand Of Fate
Before They Make Me Run (sung by Keef)

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 08:46
I always encourage nonbelievers to check out the London Years Singles Collection 3 disc box set.  It covers the very beginning up to about 1969 - roughly the Brian Jones years.  There's something really special about those recordings, not just in the songs but in the sound.  I don't really care much for them post-Let it Bleed.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 10:40
I've always been a Stones fan and listen to all the earlier lp's up until and including Sticky Fingers.....some good tracks also on Goats Head and It's Only Rock and Roll;  beyond that I really don't bother.
Favorites:
Paint It Black
She's A Rainbow
Satisfaction
Get Off My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Mothers Little helper
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
2000 Light Years..
Street Fighting Man
Stray Cat Blues
You Cant Always get....
Tumbling Dice

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:14
Will I get stoned (LOL) for liking Emotional Rescue?

Other faves are obvious ones like:
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy for the Devil
...ummm, others but I can't think of them offhand...

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:21
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Will I get stoned (LOL) for liking Emotional Rescue?

The song, no...the album, yesWink I actually like that song; not as a Stones song per se, but as a good disco-rock number.

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:49
^ How about 'Miss You', with none other than Mel Collins on the sax !!

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 14:54
Paint it Black

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 15:04
No-one has mentioned 'Jumping Jack Flash'.....
......and many P.A. forum users will be avoiding this thread like the plague

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 16:03
"Under My Thumb". Can't get into their classics yet, but that song will always remind me of the awesome times I've had as a late teen (though there were very few of them). Something about the percussion and the guitar and Mick's singing. Awesome chemistry.

The difference in the cu-lothes she wears down to me.

Don't care much for the lyrical content, though.

Date Posted: October 13 2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

No-one has mentioned 'Jumping Jack Flash'.....
......and many P.A. forum users will be avoiding this thread like the plague
Killer song............

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 00:56
I can't understand how one can not like something by The Stones - I definitely prefer them to many greats (Led Zepp, Beatles etc.) Probably the greatest straight-ahead Rock band in existence.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 04:05
^ Give me a song by them, and I'll tell you what I don't like about it. Not kidding.

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 05:51
Never was a Stones fan although I must admit that it is pleasant to hear some of their older material from time to time however their music is not something that I will try to absorb and ponder for any length of time. Paint It Black, Jumping Jack Flash, Under My Thumb, Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday, Angie, etc etc - there is a wealth of music in their portfolio that I really don't mind hearing now and then and will seek out at times in the same way that I love CCR when I happen to hear it on the airwaves.

Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 07:49
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Give me a song by them, and I'll tell you what I don't like about it. Not kidding.

You don't like any song off the mellotron-fuelled Satanic Majesties Request album ??? I'm gob-smacked......

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 09:28
Being as old as I am.....I must stress the point of their image and sound in the 60's. As played into the media, the Stones were labeled the "bad guys" and The Beatles were the "Good guys"...but it runs deeper. The Stones felt dark and they looked dark on photo shots of early album covers. December's Children, Aftermath, Between the Buttons, 12 x 5 were all signs between 65' and 69' of gloomy/dark rockers disturbing the presentation of that hokey forced Rock star smile/grin on practically ever album cover in Rock n' Roll. The Stones developed a mentality which had a darker approach and it invaded Rock n' Roll in America.

Keith Richards used inverted chord voicings in many of the Rock songs he wrote. He used that formula in a different way..as we all must assume that these types of chord voicings had been previously applied in Motown, Soul, Blues, and even Jazz. George Harrison was producing lead guitar solos stylistically based off Country & Western music and Rockabilly...while Keith Richards discovered a way to place inverted chords in Rock music and opening up the sound of those chord voicings more than others had done in the past. A good example would be the intro to "19TH Nervous Breakdown. There was a dosage of Chuck Berry in everything he wrote on electric guitar, but yet..Richards created a sound that opened up the music a bit more. This is more evident than ever on "Brown Sugar"

Brian Jones colored their music and he was multi-talented. He wasn't a writer..but an idea person. "Ruby Tuesday", "Lady Jane", "2000 Light Years From Home" included on a long list of other songs he was responsible for their uniqueness in texture. Mick Jagger , I felt had some nerve attempting to sing a Sgt. Pepper style ballad when clearly his voice was not up to par in most cases. He had this distinctive sound that replaced his lack of dimension in being a vocalist and many people in 65' simply didn't notice he lacked in diversity of things like range, pitch, vibrato sustain control and so on...As a band..they were adequate on their instruments and so to create a full and more impressive sound they hired fine "Boogie Woogie' style piano players, horns, and female back up vocalists. In reality , it didn't matter much to a mass of people how diverse they were on instruments because of how their image prevailed in the Rock music industry. That's why a great amount of  people in the world cannot conceive what is actually good about them. Try explaining  the times we were living in, how the Stones were actually unique then, ask them to dismiss their media hype and just listen to their music ..but it's too condescending for them.  

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 19:16
^ Well said TODDLER.

The Beatles were always my #1 but I loved the Stones too.  Something else people forget about the late 60's, when the Beatles were singing about "Revolution" and the Stones were glorifying the "Street Fighting Man", there was a palpable feeling that revolution and anarchy could be right around the corner and that the Stones could just be the ones able to incite the worlds youth to rise up.  These were times where a campus protest against the Viet Nam war lead to a student being murdered by the National Guard at Kent State.  1967 may have been the "summer of love", but 1968 dawned dark and the Stones were at the forefront.  The Watts riots, assassinations of MLK and Robert Kennedy, Manson family, Zodiak killer, everything was falling apart at the seems.  Riots at Stones concerts were commonplace and this of course culminated in Altamont where the demons were hired as security guards and all hell literally broke loose.  Jagger particularly seemed to revel in his power to incite riots and chaos.  John Lennon may have claimed the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus" but "Sympathy for the Devil" seemed to be Mick's statement of where his allegiance truly lay.  At the conclusion of the Stones performance at the "Rock and Roll Circus TV special", Jagger tears his shirt off to reveal a Satan artwork on his chest.  People really wondered if he was the second coming of the fallen angel.  Then as the 70's wore on, the Stones became a bloated parody of their 60's selves as Keith drowned in a sea of drug addiction and Mick became the darling of the jet set class.  

But there was a time when the Stones really seemed to be the living embodiment of all that was dark and evil in the chaotic swirl of the late 60's world. 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 20:17

I can't understand how one can not like something by The Stones - I definitely prefer them to many greats (Led Zepp, Beatles etc.) Probably the greatest straight-ahead Rock band in existence.
Amen.......though I wouldn't say they were better than the Beatles or Zep.....just  different.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 20:51
I always considered them more of a great singles band than an album band to be honest. Some of their B-sides were quite good actually, especially the great "Jumpin' Jack Flash" B-side "Child of the Moon". Pretty much at the very tail end of their psychedelic era, it's a cool compliment to the classic A-side, a single which introduced a grittier sound while still bearing some trippiness.

I do like a couple of their albums, basically Beggars Banquet & Let It Bleed, although there are certainly gems on their other full-lengths. I prefer the US version of Aftermath thanks to the addition of "Paint It Black", although I wish they kept "Mother's Little Helper" in there too. Same with Between The Buttons regarding the US release...more entertaining with a couple of big hits thrown in.

I've never actually listened to much of Exile On Main Street, which many critics seem to adore these days but wasn't highly received upon release. I need to spend time with it someday.

Date Posted: October 14 2013 at 23:03
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I always considered them more of a great singles band than an album band to be honest. Some of their B-sides were quite good actually, especially the great "Jumpin' Jack Flash" B-side "Child of the Moon". Pretty much at the very tail end of their psychedelic era, it's a cool compliment to the classic A-side, a single which introduced a grittier sound while still bearing some trippiness.

I do like a couple of their albums, basically Beggars Banquet & Let It Bleed, although there are certainly gems on their other full-lengths. I prefer the US version of Aftermath thanks to the addition of "Paint It Black", although I wish they kept "Mother's Little Helper" in there too. Same with Between The Buttons regarding the US release...more entertaining with a couple of big hits thrown in.

I've never actually listened to much of Exile On Main Street, which many critics seem to adore these days but wasn't highly received upon release. I need to spend time with it someday.
Beggars and Let It Bleed are 2 of the best things  they ever did and should be in every serious rock  collection .

Cool

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 06:45

My favourite The Stones' ballads.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 08:34

I lived on a heavy diet of Stones music as a kid, went thru phases of listening to their different incarnations, but now when I put the Stones on, which isn't very often, I turn to Aftermath, Goat's Head and Black and Blue more often than not....transitional stuff that shows them working harder than usual, if not as sucessfully on the charts. 

I've worn out copies of albums like Exile, Bleed, Banquet, etc.  Now I like to settle in with albums that dig deeper.....and I don't overlook Emotional Rescue.  Some saw it as a revisiting of the smash Some Girls, but I think it's their last relevant album in that they really succeeded in putting down two sides full of music that was popular at the time.  No retro, sitting on their laurels stuff.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 10:15
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I lived on a heavy diet of Stones music as a kid, went thru phases of listening to their different incarnations, but now when I put the Stones on, which isn't very often, I turn to Aftermath, Goat's Head and Black and Blue more often than not....transitional stuff that shows them working harder than usual, if not as sucessfully on the charts. 

I've worn out copies of albums like Exile, Bleed, Banquet, etc.  Now I like to settle in with albums that dig deeper.....and I don't overlook Emotional Rescue.  Some saw it as a revisiting of the smash Some Girls, but I think it's their last relevant album in that they really succeeded in putting down two sides full of music that was popular at the time.  No retro, sitting on their laurels stuff.
I bought their early singles on 45 along with the Beatles, Kinks, Dave Clark 5, etc.....so I go back to the beginning with the Stones. But I think their best work were the early years from 64-75.....after that they seemed to wander into the disco/soul /funk area which never really interested me. There were certainly some good tracks on those lp's you mentioned but it seemed to me that Jagger was trying to reach an even larger audience and wasn't playing what they were best at. The sig tune It's Only Rock and Roll summed up who they were imho and was their last 'great' lp.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 12:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I bought their early singles on 45 along with the Beatles, Kinks, Dave Clark 5, etc.....so I go back to the beginning with the Stones. But I think their best work were the early years from 64-75.....after that they seemed to wander into the disco/soul /funk area which never really interested me. There were certainly some good tracks on those lp's you mentioned but it seemed to me that Jagger was trying to reach an even larger audience and wasn't playing what they were best at. The sig tune It's Only Rock and Roll summed up who they were imho and was their last 'great' lp.

I got the 50 yr anniversary box "GRRR" last year and I love that most of the collection is geared to the '64 to '75 songs.  Definitely their best work before Keith's serious drug problems and Mick's emergence as the darling of the jet set watered down their musical punch.  There's still some great songs in the post '75 era but they're few and far between.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 12:53
Angie is my favorite stones track.

Its simple but i love that song.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 14:23

Stones' best stuff was absolutely from the beginning until Exile....but I played that stuff 'til I wore holes in the records.  I really dug Stripped when it came out 'cause it showed them looking back without, as you said, reaching for that extra buck.  I personally can't stand them now....$500 tickets, overly promoted shyte albums ("their best since....well, the last one!"), personalities more than musicians (let's see if we can kick Richards off the wagon). 

I get where you're coming from dr. wu, but I still love the Stones....but I wouldn't give a fag end to see them today.  I went thru an early singles kick a few years back....great ride.  Hungry, tight band with a ton of attitude...and taste.  Now I'm on a Goat's Head and Black and Blue kick....can't wait until I get into a Mick Taylor era phase again, but I don't think it'll be for a while.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 14:37
My fave has always been Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. Mick Taylor is in top form on that - and so is Charlie. I've seen him catch a lot of flack, but I think he was the perfect drummer for The Stones. On this live release he shows why.
I may have to get it on vinyl one of these days. Just feels like a record that needs to be played on the turntableCool

Fave Stones song today would be Stray Cat Blues.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 16:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

My fave has always been Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. Mick Taylor is in top form on that - and so is Charlie. I've seen him catch a lot of flack, but I think he was the perfect drummer for The Stones. On this live release he shows why.
I may have to get it on vinyl one of these days. Just feels like a record that needs to be played on the turntableCool

My roommate in college was a guitar player (he had a 1970 gold top Les Paul)  and literally wore out my copy of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out trying to learn all the licks. Sadly I can't play mine on the turntable anymore since it's so worn...I still play my cd copy though.
Stray Cat Blues  has always been one of my favorite lesser known Stones songs.
"It's no hangin' matter, it's no capital criiiiime."

@ 39:50 Jagger says...'" Charlie's good tonight ...ain't he..?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3e8UOQbH3E" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3e8UOQbH3E

Big smile

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 19:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Brilliant!  I love the slowed down version of Stray Cat Blues on Ya Ya's...

"You say you got a friend and she's wilder than you, why don't you bring her upstairs?
 If she's so wild then she can join in too!"  (insert smiley face with massive Jagger lips here)

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2013 at 21:26

Beggars and Let It Bleed are 2 of the best things  they ever did and should be in every serious rock  collection .

Cool

Yeah, but even they aren't perfect to me. Beggars has maybe one or two twangy folk tunes too many...another rocker instead of "Dear Doctor" would have made it perfect, and As For Let It Bleed, I can't listen to "country Honk" without wanting to hear the superior "Honky Tonk Woman". Other than that, yeah, great stuff, borderline nasty in a good way at times.

Date Posted: October 17 2013 at 02:37
Not certain here, but I recall reading something along the lines that for many of the later 60's/early 70's recordings, Bill Wyman played a bass where he removed the frets himself, making him one of the first to play a fretless electric bass ???

Date Posted: October 17 2013 at 15:58

Cool

Yeah, but even they aren't perfect to me. Beggars has maybe one or two twangy folk tunes too many...another rocker instead of "Dear Doctor" would have made it perfect, and As For Let It Bleed, I can't listen to "country Honk" without wanting to hear the superior "Honky Tonk Woman". Other than that, yeah, great stuff, borderline nasty in a good way at times.
I agree that Beggars could have used one more rocker and one less 'twangy blues' song.
And I always wondered why they put Country Honk and not the other version on LIB...perhaps it wasn't reworked at that time.
To me Exiles is basically a reworking of the blues rock on those 2 lp's. It has those 'twangy blues/soul'  songs
 with some classic rockers. Almost the same format as the 2 earlier lp's.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 12:31

To me Exiles is basically a reworking of the blues rock on those 2 lp's. It has those 'twangy blues/soul'  songs
I can live with that.

Since this thread popped up, I've been revisiting some of the old Stones records, particularly the interesting era of Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request., with the weird single "We Love You" inbetween.

The former album is really odd for the band, very brit-pop stuff...a real mixed bag but "She Smiled Sweetly" is quite the pretty number. Prefer the US version of the album. "Let's Spend The Night Together" is euphoric and "Ruby Tuesday" is great too, although a little sloppier than I remembered, but the UK version has "Back Street Girl" which is nice as well if not at the same level. "Communication" was another decent number.

Their Satanic Majesties Request is even odder. Some of these tunes like "The Lantern" could have been pretty good slow-burn bluesy folk-rock tunes if the terrible production and deliberate 'weirdness' thrown in were omitted. "She's A Rainbow" is awesome though...a perfect mix of the brit-pop they were aiming for on the last album with the psychodelic stuff of this album. "2000 Light Years From Home" is the most pure 'Stonesy' sounding song they had done IMO since Aftermath, even with all the trippiness. There's a mean and creepy groove underneath all that. "Citadel" is also killer acid rock. Everything else on it is either just passable to terrible experimentation.

Then they sort of found themselves after that, with "Child Of The Moon" being their last psychedelic-like number.

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 12:43

Since this thread popped up, I've been revisiting some of the old Stones records, particularly the interesting era of Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request., with the weird single "We Love You" inbetween.

The former album is really odd for the band, very brit-pop stuff...a real mixed bag but "She Smiled Sweetly" is quite the pretty number. Prefer the US version of the album. "Let's Spend The Night Together" is euphoric and "Ruby Tuesday" is great too, although a little sloppier than I remembered, but the UK version has "Back Street Girl" which is nice as well if not at the same level. "Communication" was another decent number.

Their Satanic Majesties Request is even odder. Some of these tunes like "The Lantern" could have been pretty good slow-burn bluesy folk-rock tunes if the terrible production and deliberate 'weirdness' thrown in were omitted. "She's A Rainbow" is awesome though...a perfect mix of the brit-pop they were aiming for on the last album with the psychodelic stuff of this album. "2000 Light Years From Home" is the most pure 'Stonesy' sounding song they had done IMO since Aftermath, even with all the trippiness. There's a mean and creepy groove underneath all that. "Citadel" is also killer acid rock. Everything else on it is either just passable to terrible experimentation.

Then they sort of found themselves after that, with "Child Of The Moon" being their last psychedelic-like number.

I really love both these albums...I've read that Satanic was Mick's idea to jump on the Sgt Pepper bandwagon 'cause he thought they'd miss the boat.  Keith and Brian both absolutely hated it and were incredibly happy when the band got back to their nasty blues-rock roots with Beggars Banquet.  Another great song released at that time is the B-side to "We Love You"..."Dandelion" Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 12:51

I can live with that.

I always liked Between The Buttons....and to me Satanic Majesties was the Stones 'darker' version/answer to Sgt Pepper.
I've read that We Love You was the Stones commenting on their early drug bust/and the attending hoopla  and I think Lennon is even on that track somewhere.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 12:53
Their appeal died with Brian Jones.  Sticky Fingers was great, I think Exiles is a complete snooze-fest.  I don't mind some of their faux-punk attempts like Shattered, but I just don't care about really anything they did after the early 70s.

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 13:36
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Another great song released at that time is the B-side to "We Love You"..."Dandelion" Wink
Yeah, I dig "Dandelion" a lot. Funny how it's pure catchy trippy-pop yet played in that loose bordeline sloppy Stones manner, giving the tune an almost sinister undercurrent. Then again, even when trying to sound sincere, Mick always had a bit of 'sneer' to his voice.

They were no slouches when it came to B-sides. Was "Let's Spend The Night Together" or "Ruby Tuesday" the initial B-side...or was it a planned double A-side maybe? And as I mentioned earlier, I think "Child Of The Moon" was a great B-side to "Jumpin' Jack Flash".

I've read that We Love You was the Stones commenting on their early drug bust/and the attending hoopla  and I think Lennon is even on that track somewhere.

Yeah, and I think he's also in TSMR's "Sing This All Together", one of those tunes that probably was a lot more fun to make than listen to after the drugs wore off, it's ok I guess (better than "Gomper").

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Their appeal died with Brian Jones.  Sticky Fingers was great, I think Exiles is a complete snooze-fest.  I don't mind some of their faux-punk attempts like Shattered, but I just don't care about really anything they did after the early 70s.
I know how you feel.....but I think Goat's Head and It's Only Rock n Roll are solid lp's. After that I don't own any Stones.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 15:49

Another great song released at that time is the B-side to "We Love You"..."Dandelion" Wink
Yeah, I dig "Dandelion" a lot. Funny how it's pure catchy trippy-pop yet played in that loose bordeline sloppy Stones manner, giving the tune an almost sinister undercurrent. Then again, even when trying to sound sincere, Mick always had a bit of 'sneer' to his voice.

They were no slouches when it came to B-sides. Was "Let's Spend The Night Together" or "Ruby Tuesday" the initial B-side...or was it a planned double A-side maybe? And as I mentioned earlier, I think "Child Of The Moon" was a great B-side to "Jumpin' Jack Flash".

Yeah, and I think he's also in TSMR's "Sing This All Together", one of those tunes that probably was a lot more fun to make than listen to after the drugs wore off, it's ok I guess (better than "Gomper").
I think that's right   ....and Gomper and Sing are the 2 weakest tracks on there.
btw...I actually have an original vinyl with the holographic cover image....vinyl's not in great shape though.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 17:35
Satanic Majesties Request    Every second of the album is pure colour to these ears. Even that sinister end bit after 'Sing This All Together (See What Happens) - wtf were they doing there ?? The mellotron work is fantastic, and some of those whacky ideas (In Another Land vocals, for example) sure hit the spot. I prefer this album to Sgt. Pepper's.....

Date Posted: October 18 2013 at 23:49

.....but I think Goat's Head and It's Only Rock n Roll are solid lp's. After that I don't own any Stones.

Some Girls is worth owning too, some good stuff on there. After that...meh. Of course, one of their biggest songs is "Start Me Up" from 1981, but it even began as a reggae song during the Goat's Head Soup sessions.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2013 at 01:01
Been through the Stones phase, from Aftermath through to Steel Wheels and only hung onto a precious few LP's of theirs in my collection. There's decent tracks to be found on all these albums, albeit in varying amounts and quality. I've been indulging in 'Sticky Fingers' a lot lately (I was lucky enough to have been given a lightly scuffed German pressing with a real, working zipper on the cover)- which features a longish tune 'Can't You Here Me Knocking' (7:17) - the first 2+ minutes has the vocals but the last 5 mins is a great jam which reminds me of something by the Prog band 'Tonton Macoute' (I think track 2 - 'Don't Make Me Cry). The Stones definitely had their moments.

Date Posted: October 19 2013 at 11:38
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

.....but I think Goat's Head and It's Only Rock n Roll are solid lp's. After that I don't own any Stones.

Some Girls is worth owning too, some good stuff on there. After that...meh. Of course, one of their biggest songs is "Start Me Up" from 1981, but it even began as a reggae song during the Goat's Head Soup sessions.

I misspoke ..I have Some Girls....don't play it anymore. I got sick and tired of hearing Start Me Up on every damn radio station.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 19 2013 at 11:42

Been through the Stones phase, from Aftermath through to Steel Wheels and only hung onto a precious few LP's in my collection. There's decent tracks to be found on all these albums, albeit in varying amounts and quality. I've been indulging in 'Sticky Fingers' a lot lately (I was lucky enough to have been given a lightly scuffed German pressing with a real, working zipper on the cover)- which features a longish tune 'Can't You Here Me Knocking' (7:17) - the first 2+ minutes has the vocals but the last 5 mins is a great jam which reminds me of something by the Prog band 'Tonton Macoute' (I think track 2 - 'Don't Make Me Cry). The Stones definitely had their moments.
Sticky Fingers is a very good rock lp......
I used to have a zipper cover but it got trashed in the old days so I bought another plain one a while later.
I wish they had written a title track ....would love to hear Jagger's lyrics to that.
Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 19 2013 at 16:22
'Bitch' is an awesome track !! It almost has a different sound to the rest of the album, perhaps a touch psych....? Almost 'West Coast' sounding......

Date Posted: October 19 2013 at 22:51

'Bitch' is an awesome track !! It almost has a different sound to the rest of the album, perhaps a touch psych....? Almost 'West Coast' sounding......
It reminds me of the horn tracks on Spirits 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 19 2013 at 22:55
^ I know nothing of 'Spirit' - is that the band with Randy California ??

Date Posted: October 19 2013 at 23:04

^ I know nothing of 'Spirit' - is that the band with Randy California ??
Yes, California and Jay ferguson et al......these guys were friggin awesome imho.. one of the best West Coast rockers with some really interesting style combinations.
12 Dreams is considered their masterpiece but I love all of their lp's.
Have one of your favorite drinks..sit back and play the whole thing. It's kind of a thematic or concept lp but the songs still stand alone well enough.
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13052" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13052
ps..the original lp ends at Soldier......

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 20 2013 at 00:15
Cool - I'll be checking this out, thanks . RC guested on Hammill's 'Silent Corner, Empty Stage' album - the song 'Red Shift'. I recall seeing Spirit LP's at fairs but never looked into them, cheers for the link

Posted By: NYSPORTSFAN
Date Posted: October 20 2013 at 08:11

Satanic Majesties Request    Every second of the album is pure colour to these ears. Even that sinister end bit after 'Sing This All Together (See What Happens) - wtf were they doing there ?? The mellotron work is fantastic, and some of those whacky ideas (In Another Land vocals, for example) sure hit the spot. I prefer this album to Sgt. Pepper's.....

I love the sounds on Their Satanic Majesties Request also. The only psychedelic album I actually prefer it to is Magical Mystery Tour.I think Mic said it was only listening to Sgt. Pepper that made him think psychedelic music was the way to go. I always thought people were way too harsh on The Rolling Stones calling them bandwagon jumpers.

The Rolling Stones are one of my favorite rock bands but it's only the music of their 1960's and 70's period that interest me. Most of their music from the last twenty five years is just OK to me.

Date Posted: October 20 2013 at 14:36
Where The Beatles carefully calculated their compositions on 'Sgt. Pepper's', The Stones took an 'everything including the kitchen sink' approach to theirs. It's just such a crazy album.
Moving on, I thought the song 'Harlem Shuffle' was pretty decent.
.......I could never stand that Jagger/Iggy Pop(?) song 'Walk And Don't Look Back' or whatever it's called..... and 'Dancing In The Streets'......

Date Posted: October 20 2013 at 16:34

Moving on, I thought the song 'Harlem Shuffle' was pretty decent.

Most, but not all, of their cover songs were pretty good. Speaking of cover versions, there have been some interesting and original ones of Stones songs over the years...

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: October 20 2013 at 20:04
I like Devo's "Satisfaction" more than the original!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 21 2013 at 09:39

'Can't You Here Me Knocking' (7:17) - the first 2+ minutes has the vocals but the last 5 mins is a great jam which reminds me of something by the Prog band 'Tonton Macoute' (I think track 2 - 'Don't Make Me Cry). The Stones definitely had their moments.

That is actually my favorite Stones track.

Date Posted: October 21 2013 at 09:55
One of the best Stones songs that really didn't have that much to do with all of the Stones.LOL

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 23 2013 at 13:27
I may not see the faces in the Caress Of Steel cover-art, but, I find a vague resemblance between the Stones track 'Can You Hear The Music', and, early Brainticket !! Or maybe it's just the Hippie vibe that comes through thick and strong.......

Date Posted: October 23 2013 at 17:22

One of the best Stones songs that really didn't have that much to do with all of the Stones.LOL 

This was totally cool & I had only seen a couple of those photos before...thanks for posting Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2013 at 22:20

This was totally cool & I had only seen a couple of those photos before...thanks for posting Wink
Glad you enjoyed it..one of my favorite 'Stones ' songs. The film Performance is kind of interesting in a  weird way. I bought the vinyl soundtrack back in the old days since that was the only way you could get that song until they put it on a Stones collection many years later.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 17:10

Glad you enjoyed it..one of my favorite 'Stones ' songs. The film Performance is kind of interesting in a  weird way. I bought the vinyl soundtrack back in the old days since that was the only way you could get that song until they put it on a Stones collection many years later.

In the 70's biography "Up and Down with the Rolling Stones", author Tony Sanchez (aka Spanish Tony) devotes a few pages to all the craziness that surrounded the filming of that movie.  A lot had to do with Keith's uncomfortable feelings about his new girlfriend (Anita Pallenburg) doing the sex/bath scenes with Mick and the fact that they appeared a little too real for Keith's taste LOL  

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2013 at 22:29

In the 70's biography "Up and Down with the Rolling Stones", author Tony Sanchez (aka Spanish Tony) devotes a few pages to all the craziness that surrounded the filming of that movie.  A lot had to do with Keith's uncomfortable feelings about his new girlfriend (Anita Pallenburg) doing the sex/bath scenes with Mick and the fact that they appeared a little too real for Keith's taste LOL  
And wasn't she Brian Jones' girlfriend before Keith's..?
Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 00:34
^ Sharing is caring

Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 15:13
^ Yes, she was Brian's GF first.  One of the theories about Brian's rapid descent into druggie hell was that first he lost Anita to Keith, then control of the Stones to Mick & Keith.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 17:25

^ Yes, she was Brian's GF first.  One of the theories about Brian's rapid descent into druggie hell was that first he lost Anita to Keith, then control of the Stones to Mick & Keith.
I realize he was one of,  if not the original founder, but Mick and Keith always wrote the songs, so how was he ever really in 'control' of the Stones? That part always seemed a bit unclear.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 19:46

I realize he was one of,  if not the original founder, but Mick and Keith always wrote the songs, so how was he ever really in 'control' of the Stones? That part always seemed a bit unclear.

You bring up a great point Wink

It's generally accepted Brian was the leader and in control in the early days...he chose the band name, booked the shows, turned the other guys on to obscure R&B and clearly had more influence on the material.  When Keith & Mick were still snotty nosed kids living with Mum, Brian was living on his own and already had at least one illegitimate child (not saying that's cool, but it gave him street cred with the other guys). 

The earliest Stones alliance was between Brian & Keith - which makes sense because the guitarists bonded over their obsessive love of blues/R&B.  For awhile they totally ostracized Mick and took to referring to him as "Jagger" because...well...come on, he was just the singer!  Remember, in the early days of the Stones success, they were purely a cover band and that's how they gained a following.  When they eventually released their 1st album, it featured only 2 originals but 10 covers.

But then things changed because for everything Brian could do, he was never a songwriter.  In fact, the story goes that it was John & Paul that convinced the Stones that their future lay in writing their own songs instead of just covering black American blues/R&B.  Brian never bought into it as he was a total blues/R&B purist.  After the Beatles suggestion, it was Mick & Keith who seriously began writing together and Brian was left out in the cold.  Once the Stones started having success with their own compositions, the balance of power began to shift and the times when Brian tried to bring in ideas for songs he was berated and marginalized by Jagger/Richards and eventually gave up and turned to drink/drugs to drown his sorrow.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2013 at 21:00
Jones' efforts on the Satanic Majesties album far surpasses the work from his bandmates. It is a total gem of an album, even with the Hippie waffle here and there.

Date Posted: October 26 2013 at 17:03

Jones' efforts on the Satanic Majesties album far surpasses the work from his bandmates. It is a total gem of an album, even with the Hippie waffle here and there.

I agree that it's a wonderful album, but ironic, as Brian Jones reportedly hated it:

"The Satanic Majesties record wasn't going well; what with the drug busts and Brian's disintegration, it had already taken a year and it was costing $100,000.  At heart, Mick and Keith knew that Brian was right:  This wasn't Stones music, this was pretentious crap.  But they tried to hide the weakness of the music by exotic packaging; a three dimensional camera was even imported from Japan so that Michael Cooper could take an unusual cover photograph.

The album, called eventually 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' because Decca had no intention of putting out any record with a provocatively antiroyal title, was received as badly as Brian had predicted it would be; almost all the critics realized that it was a feeble attempt to imitate the success of Sgt Pepper, and it was generally put down as a potpourri of half cocked electronic noodlings.

'Thank Christ for that', said Brian.  'Now perhaps we can get back to playing music again.'" 

Excerpt from "Up and Down with the Rolling Stones" by Tony Sanchez.

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2013 at 21:10

You bring up a great point Wink

It's generally accepted Brian was the leader and in control in the early days...he chose the band name, booked the shows, turned the other guys on to obscure R&B and clearly had more influence on the material.  When Keith & Mick were still snotty nosed kids living with Mum, Brian was living on his own and already had at least one illegitimate child (not saying that's cool, but it gave him street cred with the other guys). 

The earliest Stones alliance was between Brian & Keith - which makes sense because the guitarists bonded over their obsessive love of blues/R&B.  For awhile they totally ostracized Mick and took to referring to him as "Jagger" because...well...come on, he was just the singer!  Remember, in the early days of the Stones success, they were purely a cover band and that's how they gained a following.  When they eventually released their 1st album, it featured only 2 originals but 10 covers.

But then things changed because for everything Brian could do, he was never a songwriter.  In fact, the story goes that it was John & Paul that convinced the Stones that their future lay in writing their own songs instead of just covering black American blues/R&B.  Brian never bought into it as he was a total blues/R&B purist.  After the Beatles suggestion, it was Mick & Keith who seriously began writing together and Brian was left out in the cold.  Once the Stones started having success with their own compositions, the balance of power began to shift and the times when Brian tried to bring in ideas for songs he was berated and marginalized by Jagger/Richards and eventually gave up and turned to drink/drugs to drown his sorrow.
That makes sense;.....too bad Jones couldn't write decent original blues rock. things might have turned out far differently.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: October 26 2013 at 23:27
As a kind of Raga-like piece - 'Gomper' whips The Beatles 'Within You, Without You' (though I greatly admire the 5/4 section of the song) IMO. Actually, to sum up the 2 albums, ignoring the Prog-factor, Sgt. Pepper's is a 4 star album, Satanic Majesties is a 5. Had Pepper's been decorated up with mellotrons it may have been insanely good.......
Another observation - I don't think the Stones had ANY song featuring odd-metres - Beatles had quite a few......

Date Posted: October 27 2013 at 14:28

Had Pepper's been decorated up with mellotrons it may have been insanely good.......

The Beatles already did the tron thing on the Strawberry Fields single released a few months before Peppers so they were bored with it and moved on LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2013 at 15:15

I agree that it's a wonderful album, but ironic, as Brian Jones reportedly hated it:

I've read that too, and always thought it was kinda funny since Brian seemed to be the one bringing all the oddball instruments into their music during that period (oddball for blues rock at least).

Date Posted: October 28 2013 at 01:56

Had Pepper's been decorated up with mellotrons it may have been insanely good.......

The Beatles already did the tron thing on the Strawberry Fields single released a few months before Peppers so they were bored with it and moved on LOLLOLLOL

Indeed, that and 'Flying' - but it's never enough 'tron for me. I do prefer Magical Mystery Tour to Pepper's. In fact, Satanic Majesties is closer to MMT than SPLHCB.
Forgot to say how great the song 'Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)' is. Billy Preston makes his prescence felt again. Oh, the brief lead break from Taylor is superb too.    

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk