Print Page | Close Window

Recommendations for Univers Zero

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95755
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 01:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Recommendations for Univers Zero
Posted By: schizoidman
Subject: Recommendations for Univers Zero
Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 17:17
I've heard some of their work and I'm just not into the dark, dank, chanting, slice of hell atmospheres. Is there a brighter side to this group that I'm missing??

As musicians they are all superb.

-------------
Making the useless useful 24/7.

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 17:56
I'm assuming you've only heard Heresie? Not a good starting point in my opinion. For their more acoustic, chamber period go for Ceux du Duhors; for more electric, electronic and rocking go for Heatwave.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 18:16
I started with UZED and think it's a good place to begin Thumbs Up

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 18:47
Start with Ceux Du Dehors, UZED & Heatwave. The most accessible start points.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 31 2013 at 19:57
Yeah, Heatwave or Implosion in which their sound became a bit more modernized.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 09:33
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I'm assuming you've only heard Heresie? Not a good starting point in my opinion. For their more acoustic, chamber period go for Ceux du Duhors; for more electric, electronic and rocking go for Heatwave.

Yes, you are correct. Heresie was the first one I heard.

Thanks Thumbs Up I will see about Ceux du Duhors and Heatwave.

They are such great musicians that I felt I had to inquire here about more of their music that I might find more accessible.

-------------

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 09:34
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I started with UZED and think it's a good place to begin Thumbs Up

Yes. UZED is more to my liking. Thanks Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 09:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Start with Ceux Du Dehors, UZED & Heatwave. The most accessible start points.

Thanks Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 09:39
if you like that type of stuff, then you should probably check out Art Zoyd, Miriodor* and Present as wellThumbs Up 

* Miriodor's debut though is more like an avantguarde sprinkled Canterbury album(my fave). It's with latter albums they veer into the vicinity of Univers Zero, be that in the rockier realms of UZ. In some instances pretty close to the Uzed period.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 09:52
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yeah, Heatwave or Implosion in which their sound became a bit more modernized.

Thanks Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 09:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

if you like that type of stuff, then you should probably check out Art Zoyd, Miriodor* and Present as wellThumbs Up 

* Miriodor's debut though is more like an avantguarde sprinkled Canterbury album(my fave). It's with latter albums they veer into the vicinity of Univers Zero, be that in the rockier realms of UZ. In some instances pretty close to the Uzed period.

Art Zoyd....I've done my homework and cherry picked through some of their albums and found some real gems (a few are Ballade/Phase IV, Du Sang Sur La Neige/Phase IV, Sortie 134 - Part 1/ Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer, Trois miniatures/Génération Sans Futur, Migrations/Les Espaces Inquiets).

Miriodor and Present I've not heard of, so Thanks Thumbs Up I will see about getting some listening time for them.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 10:02
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Art Zoyd....I've done my homework and cherry picked through some of their albums and found some real gems (a few are Ballade/Phase IV, Du Sang Sur La Neige/Phase IV, Sortie 134 - Part 1/ Le Mariage Du Ciel Et De L'Enfer, Trois miniatures/Génération Sans Futur, Migrations/Les Espaces Inquiets).

Miriodor and Present I've not heard of, so Thanks Thumbs Up I will see about getting some listening time for them.

Cool, and may I just say, those are some truly awesome AZ tracks you've picked. I like your styleCool

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 10:08
Well if you like that Art Zoyd stuff you'll probably also enjoy Miriodor & Present.

I'd also suggest you check out Yugen, Arteria & Rational Diet they are in a similar dissonant avant  complex edgy area.

I started exploring this avant/rio realm a few years ago and there is masses of great stuff out there. Enjoy the journey.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 10:17
Don't miss out on Clivages.

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 10:25

Cool, and may I just say, those are some truly awesome AZ tracks you've picked. I like your styleCool

Thanks Smile.

I listened to all of the AZ albums listed above and those songs really caught my attention while the others just did not.

-------------

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 10:34
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well if you like that Art Zoyd stuff you'll probably also enjoy Miriodor & Present.

I'd also suggest you check out Yugen, Arteria & Rational Diet they are in a similar dissonant avant  complex edgy area.

I started exploring this avant/rio realm a few years ago and there is masses of great stuff out there. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks Thumbs Up

I have a few songs I like by Yugen (Incubi Concentrici and Catacresi5), so, I need to explore them further.

I suggest the first two albums by Carla Bley and Weather Report as a few other avant garde choices if you've not already heard them.

-------------

Date Posted: November 01 2013 at 10:36
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Don't miss out on Clivages.

Will do. Thanks Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 22:41
Ok. I have crafted together a twelve song UZ mix that consists of, imo, the more accessible material from five of their albums. imho, the songs show the side of UZ that a majority of listeners can take enjoyment in.

I suggest these songs to anyone who has qualms about UZ's RIO/avant reputation. I must say that most of their material is, to me, unlistenable. Too dark. Superbly played, but off putting to my sense of what I want to hear in music.

However, their superb musicianship and writing craft are well worth investing your time in to see if their other material is useful to you.

1. Parade - Uzed
2. Les Kobolds - Clivages
3. Mellotronic - Implosion
4. Out of Space 4 - Implosion
5. Variations on Mellotronic's Theme - Implosion
6. Falling Rain Dance - Implosion
7. Rapt D'Abdallah - Implosion
8. Apesanteur - Clivages
9. Heatwave - Heatwave
10. Presage - Uzed
11. Dense - Ceus du Dehorx
12. Straight Edge - Clivages

-------------

Posted By: pawel_98
Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 07:13
Sorry, that I'm writing in this topic, but I'm a new member and don't have permission to make a new thread. Embarrassed And I haven't found such topic so far and I hope you'll help me. Smile I'm a new UZ's fan and I wonder about buying some their albums. My favourite one is Heresie but I don't prefer the latest remaster (2010, with this 'ugly' cover and strangely remixed La Faulx). Some time ago I found Japanese remasters (mini LP)  but I don't know whether it is worth to buy them. Does anyone have such a CD? If so, is it a good option to buy it?

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 07:17

Is there a brighter side to this group that I'm missing??

There is and it's called 'Crawling Wind' EP. It sounds much brighter than their studio albums at that time.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 07:24
Heh.  I started with Heresie and enjoyed it.  But then I'm funny that way.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 13 2014 at 04:24
I started with Heresie and liked it. I like the remix /re-master as well. Rhythmix is possibly the most symphonic of their releases. Heatwave and Uzed are fine. Which means the archive release Relaps should be included.

I have flexible rule of thumb that if Andy Kirk is on the album, get it. Great death music. :)  Ceux Du De Hors is exquisite. Clivages has more writers and is quite a broad spectrum of ideas. The Live album is heaven. I, er, don't really find much in UZ that I don't like. Haven't really tried to not like them either. Obviously, I am not objective. LOL

For fun, compare Charles Ives' Central Park After Dark; the inspiration for the (very) darkly humourous Central Belgium After Dark on Crawling Wind. 

The first 2 Present albums (on 1 CD) are also essential. This is virtually another aspect of UZ with Denis helping Roger Trigaux out, though they' pretty much go their own paths creatively.

The only albums I regret no familiarity with are Daniel Denis' two solo albums. My guess is they are not too far from UZ.

If I were reviewing releases they'd all have a minimum of 4 stars.

Posted By: pawel_98
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 03:12
I also started with Heresie, the first UZ's track I listened to was La Faulx and in my opinion it is definitely their best track ever. However, I'm a little bit disappointed by the new remix (2010) of this piece. I don't like the way they remixed the voice that is too deformed. And that's why I'm trying to find previous version on CD. Eventually, I'll buy the new one and try to become accustomed to it Wink

Ceux du Dehors and UZED are nice too. First two Present's albums are also awesome but they are still the only Present's albums I have listened to so far. What do you think about the new UZ's album Phosphorescent Dreams? It is a bit different than previous albums but I like it. In my opinion it is good album for people who want to begin with UZ and are not familiar with more experimental music.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Is there a brighter side to this group that I'm missing??

There is and it's called 'Crawling Wind' EP. It sounds much brighter than their studio albums at that time.

I love Crawling Wind and would echo what some have already recommended in Uzed and Heatwave. And please check out PRESENT they are incredible.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:17

Just saw this posted by Steve Feigenbaum of Cumeiform Records

In approximately one week, all rights to all of our Univers Zero titles will revert to the band.

At that time, we will immediately take them down from our bandcamp page, so if you want them, you should get them right now:
https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/

At that time, we will instruct all 3rd party digital providers (e-music, Amazon digital, iTunes, etc) to take them down, so, once again, if you want them, you should act soon.

We will still have the rights to sell what we have in stock in physical form until they are gone. In some cases we don't have very many, and, in yet one more final 'again', you should not wait too long if you are interested in these.
http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Departments/UZ.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Departments/UZ.aspx

Thank you for your interest.

-------------
Ian

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk