Print Page | Close Window

Why has Revolver taken over Sgt. Peppers?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95790
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 06:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why has Revolver taken over Sgt. Peppers?
Posted By: NYSPORTSFAN
Subject: Why has Revolver taken over Sgt. Peppers?
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 19:35
When I was growing up when it came to The Beatles albums it was Sgt. Pepper that was considered their best album. Now it seems people think its Revolver? What is the reason for this turnabout in opinion.

Replies:
Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 19:56
idk, however i still think that Sgt. Pepper's is the best. its my favorite album from The Beatles and, well, just in general. i guess there's just something about it that made fans, musicians, and especially critics to pull toward this album. maybe the lyrics, the production, the songwriting, etc. thats all that I know for now...

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 20:50
Nothing has really changed, wait a couple years and it'll be Abbey Road, then the White Album, and eventually Pepper's again.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 20:56
I think Revolver is probably the closest to what's being made now in music, especially with all the indie bands around.

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 23:08
Maybe because Revolver is less flowery and hippy dippy & more immediate...for me it'll always be Peppers Wacko

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: November 03 2013 at 23:10
Yeah, Revolver's rougher and less polished, which I think is more appealing to the last couple of generations

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 02:27
Probably because Revolver IS better than Sgt. Pepper's......

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 03:29
Because Revolver is timeless where Sgt. Pepper's, although imho almost equally excellent, sounds dated.

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 03:31
Originally posted by NYSPORTSFAN NYSPORTSFAN wrote:

When I was growing up when it came to The Beatles albums it was Sgt. Pepper that was considered their best album. Now it seems people think its Revolver? What is the reason for this turnabout in opinion.
I didn't know there's a general consensus on what their best album is. Ermm They are all classics. Isn't that enough?

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 06:03
I remember a grand scale Dutch music critics poll back in 1987, and Revolver came already out as their best.
But that's only one group of people at one moment in time, I don't think there's a consensus, only trends.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 06:45
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Probably because Revolver IS better than Sgt. Pepper's......

Pepper isn't that good honestly..

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 07:18
I prefer Revolver.

Less hippy than Pepper. Pepper's very good, but I've heard it so much and I've lost interest a little in their more hippy stuff as I've got older.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 07:50

Depends on when you were growing up.  I remember in the 1980s Revolver was considered the better of the two, except of course in 1987 ("It was twenty years ago today" etc) 

Personally I don't understand it when americans go on about the Magical Mystery Tour album.  The Beatles never made such an album.  They made a Magical Mystery Tour film, and a Magical Mystery Tour double EP.  The american label made the album so loved by americans, not The Beatles.  Approval after the fact is not the same thing at all.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 08:23
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I didn't know there's a general consensus on what their best album is. Ermm They are all classics. Isn't that enough?
That's how I see it and I thought that Revolver has been thought to be their 'best' for a long time , not just recently.
It's been on top of the lists for over 20 years or more. I recall critics naming it as their favorite even back in the late 70's,..?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 08:45
At a guess I'd say that Revolver and Rubber Soul would generally be picked by "experts" whereas Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road appeal more to casual listeners.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 14:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

At a guess I'd say that Revolver and Rubber Soul would generally be picked by "experts" whereas Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road appeal more to casual listeners.

that would make sense

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 14:36
Personally I think the white is their best, Peppers is way down the list

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 14:52
News just in. THe White Album is now their best according to Experts (me) .

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 16:27
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Personally I don't understand it when americans go on about the Magical Mystery Tour album.  The Beatles never made such an album.  They made a Magical Mystery Tour film, and a Magical Mystery Tour double EP.  The american label made the album so loved by americans, not The Beatles.  Approval after the fact is not the same thing at all.

In America, we didn't know the difference!  Capitol Records usually packaged the US albums different from the UK release.  I never even heard "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Doctor Robert" & "I'm Only Sleeping" until I bought the CD version of Revolver Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 17:08
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

News just in. THe White Album is now their best according to Experts (me) .

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: schizoidman
Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 20:17
The musical tastes of the masses ebb and flow differently over time.

I can say that The Beatles spent more time on Pepper than any other album they made, about five months. Mostly Paul and John going back in the studio with engineer Geoff Emerick spending hours trying different mic's, various mic positions, various instruments, using or inventing various studio effects, to get the exact sound that Paul or John wanted.

I read and recommend Emerick's book "Here, There and Everywhere". I believe it was there that I read the remark that, looking back, Pepper was really a John and Paul duo album. George's one song, the great "Within You, Without You" was done with Harrison, George Martin and Harrison's Indian musician friends. None of the other Beatles are on the song.

Paul handled the majority of the lead guitar parts, all of the bass and God knows what else.

Revolver was done quicker. What is lacking in studio and musical perfection is made up for by a wider variety of songs and performances.

-------------
Making the useless useful 24/7.

Date Posted: November 04 2013 at 21:10
In 'Tomorrow Never Knows' you can smell the acid; In 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!' you can smell the peanuts.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 07:29
I think Revolver is a much much stronger album. I can finish it without reaching for the skip button, which is something I do with Pepper. Not too fond of the latter although it contains my fave Beatle tune ever 'A Day In The Life'. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 07:35
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I prefer Revolver.

Less hippy than Pepper. Pepper's very good, but I've heard it so much and I've lost interest a little in their more hippy stuff as I've got older.
This.

I remember being surprised to see Revolver beating Sgt Pepper in polls, it may have been a Q magazine one where I first saw this.
The drugs had begun to kick in on Revolver but it's still a collection of shorter, more tightly focussed songs than Sgt Pepper. McCartney was on a real roll then.

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 07:39
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Depends on when you were growing up.  I remember in the 1980s Revolver was considered the better of the two, except of course in 1987 ("It was twenty years ago today" etc) 

I don't think anyone had mentioned MMT up to this point, but I'm glad someone else thinks the same as me!

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 08:28
Because it's their best album and imo the only great one (haven't heard Rubber Soul and White Album tho)

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 08:36
LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 09:00
?

-------------

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 09:05
Originally posted by Earthmover Earthmover wrote:

Because it's their best album and imo the only great one (haven't heard Rubber Soul and White Album tho)
Revolver quite easily beats Rubber Soul but you really need to hear The Beatles before commenting. It's really 4 solo albums and a bit all over the place, but it's my favourite Beatles album.

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 09:14
I'm so sad some people around me don't know The Beatles ... I've got older. Ouch

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 09:40
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

I'm so sad some people around me don't know The Beatles ... I've got older. Ouch
Me too..........my brother and I were in a record store back in the early 80's and these two young kids were buying Wings lp's and one turned to the other kid and said hey...McCartney was in a band called The Beatles.
LOL

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 10:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Me too..........my brother and I were in a record store back in the early 80's and these two young kids were buying Wings lp's and one turned to the other kid and said hey...McCartney was in a band called The Beatles.
LOL
Now that is sad.

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

LOL

Now that is sad.

When Alan Partridge was asked "Who are Wings" he replies "Only the band the Beatles could have been!"

-------------

Date Posted: November 05 2013 at 17:45
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

LOL

Now that is sad.

When Alan Partridge was asked "Who are Wings" he replies "Only the band the Beatles could have been!"

Even more sad is that I had to look up who Alan Partidge is.....LOL....but then I'm an American.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 06 2013 at 06:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

In 'Tomorrow Never Knows' you can smell the acid; In 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!' you can smell the peanuts.

Peanuts? Surely you mean sawdust? Or horse dung.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 06 2013 at 06:29

Peanuts? Surely you mean sawdust? Or horse dung.

Both. And we may add candy floss and popcorn as well.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: November 07 2013 at 12:39
Don't know about critics or those fickle creeps who steer public opinion, but when I want to listen to the Beatles it's rarely Pepper's that I put on.  It's Revolver, Rubber Soul, Mystery Tour, and I've even been on a bit of an early Beatles kick lately.  I put on Abbey Road the other day and for the first time it just didn't move me....had to take it off.  I think I just might've overplayed Pepper, White and Road, let's hope it stops there.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 02:01
I only own those 2 albums by the Beatles and neither get played much. The Beatles produced amazing songs but not so amazing albums imo. (yes that is contradictory I knowTongue)

The Alan Partridge comment is funny. I may actually be Alan Partridge as I prefer WingsLOL

Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 04:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I only own those 2 albums by the Beatles and neither get played much. The Beatles produced amazing songs but not so amazing albums imo. (yes that is contradictory I knowTongue)
The Alan Partridge comment is funny. I may actually be Alan Partridge as I prefer WingsLOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 04:41
'Tomorrow Never Knows' is BRILLIANT. Knocks any track off of Pepper's (including 'A Day In The Life')......
The song should've been much, much longer.

Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 04:52

'Tomorrow Never Knows' is BRILLIANT. Knocks any track off of Pepper's (including 'A Day In The Life')......
qft
A Day in the Life is brilliant too tho

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2013 at 21:52
^^ No, it's the perfect length;  the Beatles knew not to beat something to death, and that the pure distillation of a song or theme would have more emotional impact.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 09 2013 at 03:37

I agree

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: December 07 2013 at 16:19
My favourite is Abbey Road. I have never been the biggest Beatles fan.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 09:42
Revolvers beat Bands.

Every time.

Remember, happiness is a warm revolver.

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 09:46

I agree

Kind of a tangent, but a while back I heard a live recording of a band, I think Van Halen, covering The Who's "Baba O' Riley;" and they switched the studio outro with "Tomorrow Never Knows" to great effect. I've never heard that recording again - might have been a bootleg?

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 10:24

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 11:55
I've never understood the buzz about "Tomorrow Never Knows", nor ever will ... even after watching the PH video Dean posted. I think the song's just a mess. (I don't expect you to relate.)
Originally posted by Earthmover Earthmover wrote:

Eh, ... I feel like a penny hit the top of my head after being dropped off the top of the Eiffel Tower. You haven't heard two and you've already made up your mind about the one you did being the only great one?

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:00
Perhaps if you would have experienced it in real time it would be different.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:01
^ What do you mean? Being there for the recording of the song ... or hearing it live ... or ... ?

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:05
I mean if you were alive when the album was popular and new.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:07
^ Nah, I know there are a few people who were born in, like, 70's and dig the song.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:10
Well you said you will never understand..........how about............Tomorrow Never Knows

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:11
^ Once they create a taste-enhancing drug, ... maybe then it really doesn't.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:36

I've never understood the buzz about "Tomorrow Never Knows", nor ever will ... even after watching the PH video Dean posted. I think the song's just a mess. (I don't expect you to relate.)
Unless you were alive in the 1960s and of an age where you could appreciate music I don't think it is possible to fully comprehend what Tim is saying about having experienced it in real time, this does not mean that people younger than that cannot understand or like the song, it has nothing to do with taste, but in grasping the cultural significance of the song in context, in its own time-frame. Hammill was not exaggerating when he said that once it has been heard everything changes, you cannot go backwards - he did not mean that once someone in the 21st Century heard it, he means that once people in 1966 heard it and the whole cascade of consequence that ripples out from that - it altered the whole of music forever. 

There is no comparable modern event in music that you can draw a parallel to. Not one.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 13:03
^ I don't disagree. I guess this is really a part of the generational gap.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 13:46

No. It's nothing to do with the generation gap. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 13:53
Tomorrow Never Knows..........a Timothy Leary inspired song

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 14:20
Are we talking TNK?  I wasn't "there", but I can well imagine how it blew people's minds.  It blows my mind!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 15:36

^^   the Beatles knew not to beat something to death
'Hey Jude' ????

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 17:10

Well, regardless, this song is just not for me in any way whatsoever, though I do recognize its merit.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 17:15
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Tomorrow Never Knows..........a Timothy Leary inspired song
Uh.....I thought that was that Moody Blues song.
Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 17:38

Well, regardless, this song is just not for me in any way whatsoever, though I do recognize its merit.
I couldn't give a flying fart whether the song is for you or not, that wasn't what you were talking about, you said:

I've never understood the buzz about "Tomorrow Never Knows", nor ever will ... even after watching the PH video Dean posted.
So no, it is not "regardless", it is not "irrespective of, without regard to, without reference to, disregarding, unmindful of, heedless of, careless of/about, indifferent to, unconcerned about, without consideration of, negligent of, setting aside, discounting, ignoring, notwithstanding, no matter, despite, in spite of, for all; informalirregardless of...", it was not only germane to the comment you made, it addressed it directly.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 17:44
^ Wow, easy; it's not like I wanted to light up a tree in a forest. 

I guess "Well, regardless, this song is just not for me in any way whatsoever, though I do recognize its merit" is something I should have said in the beginning so that this conversation wouldn't take this hot course.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 18:28

Really? So you thought you could make a comment and there be no come-backs?

I guess "Well, regardless, this song is just not for me in any way whatsoever, though I do recognize its merit" is something I should have said in the beginning so that this conversation wouldn't take this hot course.
This conversation is not taking a hot course. I am replying to your comments in a calm controlled manner. I found the phrase "Well, regardless" to be flippant and unnecessarily dismissive. 

Either you now understand the "buzz" about TNK or you do not. Whether you like the song or not is immaterial. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 19:03
I was born the same year the song was recorded so I don't whether I was 'around for the song' or not (it certainly wasn't a song played on the airwaves much).   I would say it was when I became a musician that I began to appreciate it.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 19:05
Oh, and a fat joint doesn't hurt either.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 19:09

Really? So you thought you could make a comment and there be no come-backs?

This conversation is not taking a hot course. I am replying to your comments in a calm controlled manner. I found the phrase "Well, regardless" to be flippant and unnecessarily dismissive.

Either you now understand the "buzz" about TNK or you do not. Whether you like the song or not is immaterial.

OK, help me out here: what kind of a comeback is "I don't give a flying fart" ? How is that a sign of calm or controlled behavior? And I've no idea what's so flippant or unnecessarily dismissive about "regardless", when I've only used it to wrap things up fast and drive a point home. 

Maybe I should rephrase it: I don't dig the song (which is just my taste), but thanks to Tim I got a little idea of what it's all about. Better?

Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 07:30
Perhaps someone is mixing Revolver TNK with Phil Collins' TNK - the Beatles version is insane, PhilCo's just doesn't have the 'majik' (nice of him to select the song to cover, though).

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 10:55
I think this may have something to do with the styles on offer on both of these albums. While Vaudevillean pop is highly regarded in many Indie and underground groups alike, the one you encounter on Pepper sounds rather dated today imho. You certainly don't hear anything with that same vibe on the radio. Revolver on the other hand is one of the keystones that the whole current rock revival fad relies on. Seems simple really. Most people are into the rock part of The Beatles nowadays. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 18:28
^ Good observation, though they were always a rock band and never veered from that.   In fact they started more or less as a  rockabilly band; they wanted to sound American.   Of course eventually everyone wanted to sound like the Beatles, so you started getting this hodge-podge of American-based British inspired rock 'n roll, and that unholy blend is still happening today--   bands such as Vampire Weekend emulating the Kinks, and so on and so forth.   It is an endless and fascinating musical relationship that keeps reinventing itself.

Posted By: thwok
Date Posted: December 12 2013 at 11:17
I think The Crimson King's post comes closest to hitting the nail on the head.  I qualify this statement with "closest" because musical taste is ultimately subjective, and there is no definitive answer.  For my money Sgt. Pepper stresses the psychedelic a little TOO much, and may not appeal to current listeners.  Although it seems disingenuous to question Lennon and McCartney's songwriting, I believe Revolver is better written and demonstrates more variety than Sgt Pepper's.

-------------
I am the funkiest man on the planet!

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 07:28
^^The Beatles a rockabilly band...never heard that comparison before and cannot think of any examples of their "rockability".

Any songs to substantiate this?

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 07:38
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

^^The Beatles a rockabilly band...never heard that comparison before and cannot think of any examples of their "rockability".

The quarrymen (and to some extent, the Silver Beetles) were a Skiffle band, this in its English form was rockabilly.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 08:29
I recall this one...had some 'twang'.....

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:18

Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

The quarrymen (and to some extent, the Silver Beetles) were a Skiffle band, this in its English form was rockabilly.

Correct.   And nothing to be disillusioned by.   It is the Anglo-American rock culture exchange that's made things so interesting.  

As for examples of the Beatles doing rockabilly... are you joking?   Have you heard The Decca Tapes ?

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:24
^^  'Act Naturally' they did more as a spoof (which they did a lot of, the White Album, et al.).    It was an older tune written by someone else, as I recall.   When I talk of "rockabilly" I mean their early days as the Beatles/Silver Beatles.   If you'd gone to see them play you might've wondered why these English kids think they're from Memphis.  

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 01:31
Pepper is a far better album. It's not cool though. Revolver is cool.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 22:02
Abbey Road will always be the best Beatles album

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 22:34
^ Best sounding maybe

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 31 2013 at 11:28
Revolver shot the Sgt. in the leg...Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: December 31 2013 at 15:24
Peppers has too much filler, imo. Also, listening to the lyrics, it sounds like they were pretty much "hey, we do drugs, and drugs are cool!" lyrics

Revolver for the win. 

Actually, I like Rubber Soul a bit better than Revolver, though they are almost two sides of the same coin.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: December 31 2013 at 16:50

^ Best sounding maybe

best sounding and best too Wink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: January 18 2014 at 00:07
Funny with thht US release of MMT. Capitol accidentally created a great album. The way they treated American listeners was not good though mainly, milking the crowd. Soon be a box set to emphasize that one. Anyway while the UK originals define the latest box sets it's the US MMT that gets the nod for inclusion. Anyway Pepper and MMT are all part of that same era so it's a kind of Part 1 and 2.

Revolver is okay, guitar sounds might appeal to indie bands but really it is here that the usual bunch of 60s era axe masters hold it over The Beatles. Good song writers though. (Rain especially). The singles shouold be included on the albums now the format is no longer as space limited as vinyl - which is why the singles and LPs were why they were - in the UK versions.

I think perhaps Revolver sounds like a rock and roll record while Pepper's is more like a theatrical type event.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 18 2014 at 13:17
I tend to view three albums of the Beatles as evolutionary starting with Rubber Soul.  Then after Pepper they kind of went astray.   Back in form again with Abbey Road.  Still much to be admired in the white album and Let It Be still.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: January 21 2014 at 01:14
I think Sgt. Pepper is overrated, but only because the rest of their output is insanely good; if someone chose an album as their favorite, I would easily go with that. 

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 21 2014 at 08:36
I've always preferred The White Album to either, so what do I know.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: January 21 2014 at 10:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've always preferred The White Album to either, so what do I know.

I've always liked that one also but then when it came out I was starting college and we used to listen to it all the time in an altered state of mind.
Big smile

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: January 21 2014 at 16:16
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Abbey Road will always be the best Beatles album
 i totally agree 

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: February 05 2014 at 14:35
I see what you mean, but they're both still very close and very highly regarded. I personally prefer Sgt. Pepper by quite a way. My favourite Beatles album by quite a way, but Revolver's probably only 5th or 6th for me Ermm Still nice every now and then though Smile

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 02:04

I recall a comment by Yoko's better half admitting that Wings was the band closes to what The Beatles would have become.

As to the song v. album thing... well, perhaps there is some merit in that. I thought Abbey Road the best album; possibly the rock zeitgeist had generated the album creation idea. There were a lot more of those around in 69 than 67 that were not just collections of songs.

Perhaps they had just worked out how to write a rock band album. Abbey Road was a determined unit idea. Shame they never got around to the live thing like The Stones. The new PA systems had given some bands a new lease of life.

And yes, Revolver may be more highly regarded as an album as it more of a rock and roll thing than the fantasy camp Pepper can be (Butlins on a record). Trouble is, I thought, and still think, the Revolver guitar sounds are a bit amateur. Probably why they're popular with the indie crowd. Smile

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk