Print Page | Close Window

Is Gilmour working on a new album?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95910
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 14:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is Gilmour working on a new album?
Posted By: Dellinger
Subject: Is Gilmour working on a new album?
Date Posted: November 13 2013 at 21:54
I just read something on facebook about Graham Nash having said in a recent interview that he and Crosby are recording vocals for Gilmour's new album (and as I understood the note it's recent news, they are not talking about "On an Island" one from over 6 years ago). Anyone knows anything else about that.

Replies:
Posted By: ComfortablyNumb
Date Posted: November 13 2013 at 22:26
http://www.pinkfloydz.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.pinkfloydz.com/

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 13 2013 at 23:04
^ Great news indeed. 'On An Island' was superb, 'Live In Gdansk' even better. He should still have it in him to deliver another special album

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 00:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Great news indeed. 'On An Island' was superb, 'Live In Gdansk' even better. He should still have it in him to deliver another special album

Clap

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 06:24
Can you imagine? Next year a new Gilmour and a new Waters...

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 07:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Approve

Posted By: pde
Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Can you imagine? Next year a new Gilmour and a new Waters...

They should do a joint tour.  Each plays a 90 min set and then they join together for a 60 min PF set.  They could alternate who pays first and second each night.   They each have so much material they could have and A & B set lists with and A & B PF set list too.  See them on back to back nights and get different shows

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 10:56
Wow! This is great news. I adore all three of them and can vividly imagine them singing together. Both Nash and Crosby have always had a sweet tinge to their vocals, and I gather it'll be a perfect match for the raspy note David has acquired with age. 

This news made me realise something else though. I have actually never heard On an Island before (nor the Gdansk one), and I'm just about the biggest Gilmour fan north of HamburgEmbarrassed

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 11:54
Dave you can't go wrong with On An Island if you're a Gilmour fan and I know you are Big smile
When the melodies are starting to sink in, the album is no less than stunning.

Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wow! This is great news. I adore all three of them and can vividly imagine them singing together. Both Nash and Crosby have always had a sweet tinge to their vocals, and I gather it'll be a perfect match for the raspy note David has acquired with age.
This news made me realise something else though. I have actually never heard On an Island before (nor the Gdansk one), and I'm just about the biggest Gilmour fan north of HamburgEmbarrassed

My advise, go for the live album, that one is so much better. More energy, better guitar solos, and Rick Wright is part of the band through the whole show (instead of just one or two songs as in the studio album), which actually makes the performance almost a Pink Floyd show. Oh yeah, and you get a nice collection of Pink Floyd songs, perhaps the most stunning of which is "Echoes". However, you must know there are not female backing vocals on this one, so some of the Floyd songs may sound a bit different because of that.

Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:12
Oh yeah, and it's great that this new album is truly confirmed... thanks for the link. Indeed, it will be great to see new Waters and Gilmour in one or two years (I guess). I wonder who will make a better album.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:25
Awesome news and a great interview with Graham Nash. It is incredible how he stresses  he and Crosby don't get paid a cent for playing with Don Felder, John Mayer, Dave Gilmour etc. They are ' musicians'......must be very rich ones at thatSmile

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:29
there are not female backing vocals on this one, so some of the Floyd songs may sound a bit better because of that.

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: November 16 2013 at 20:38

Personally, I think one ought to get On an Island before getting the live Gdansk. With Gdansk, one gets umpeenth versions of DSOFTM tracks played live, yet another rendition of Comfortably Numb and High Hopes, and an okay (albeit over-rated) version of Echoes that of course doesn't come close to equaling the original version nor the live version heard on Live at Pompeii.

With an over-saturation of live discs (Delicate Sound of Thunder, Pulse, Is There Anybody Out There, In the Flesh, Remember That Night, Live at Gdansk), the one I quite like is David Gilmour in Concert, with acoustic renditions of Shine On and other tracks.

Date Posted: November 16 2013 at 21:41
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Personally, I think one ought to get On an Island before getting the live Gdansk. With Gdansk, one gets umpeenth versions of DSOFTM tracks played live, yet another rendition of Comfortably Numb and High Hopes, and an okay (albeit over-rated) version of Echoes that of course doesn't come close to equaling the original version nor the live version heard on Live at Pompeii.
With an over-saturation of live discs (Delicate Sound of Thunder, Pulse, Is There Anybody Out There, In the Flesh, Remember That Night, Live at Gdansk), the one I quite like is David Gilmour in Concert, with acoustic renditions of Shine On and other tracks.

The thing is, with Gdansk the whole "On an Island" is played, and for me, in a much better way (you might consider the other Floyd songs as a bonus). Actually, I might just as well never put the "On an Island" studio album again... if I want to listen to that piece of music, I'd rather put the CD or DVD of the live version. Of course, many people don't really like the way songs sound live and prefer the perfectly planned and executed studio versions. As for Echoes, there are parts I do like better on this new version... specially the guitar solos are so much better, more powerful, and more mature... still, there are some nuances that are lost for which overall I like better the studio version. Also, I wouldn't really say there's an over-saturation of live albums Floyd related, and I enjoy them all for their different reasons. Of course, David Gilmour in Concert is perhaps the most unique of this live albums, and has some great versions from most songs.

Date Posted: November 16 2013 at 22:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The thing is, with Gdansk the whole "On an Island" is played, and for me, in a much better way (you might consider the other Floyd songs as a bonus). Actually, I might just as well never put the "On an Island" studio album again... if I want to listen to that piece of music, I'd rather put the CD or DVD of the live version. Of course, many people don't really like the way songs sound live and prefer the perfectly planned and executed studio versions. As for Echoes, there are parts I do like better on this new version... specially the guitar solos are so much better, more powerful, and more mature... still, there are some nuances that are lost for which overall I like better the studio version. Also, I wouldn't really say there's an over-saturation of live albums Floyd related, and I enjoy them all for their different reasons. Of course, David Gilmour in Concert is perhaps the most unique of this live albums, and has some great versions from most songs.

The thing is, my favorite tracks from On an Island - the title-track, The Blue, Smile, and Where We Start - sound much better on the original album, in my opinion. But the other tracks, which I'm not all that crazy about, do actually sound better on the live album, strangely enough...

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 02:43
There are popular classic bands like Camel that came together after many years to please their fans and It is really disappointing to see both Waters and Gilmour planning new solo albums but not coming together and try to produce another PF album in their last years of their life.At least they could plan a live show and play Animals,The Wall and DSOTM..

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:02
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

There are popular classic bands like Camel that came together after many years to please their fans and It is really disappointing to see both Waters and Gilmour planning new solo albums but not coming together and try to produce another PF album in their last years of their life.At least they could plan a live show and play Animals,The Wall and DSOTM..

Isn't  Camel really just Andy Latimer by a different name? Keyboardist Peter Bardens (the Richard Wright, or Tony Banks, of the band - imagine Floyd or Genesis w/o them) left Camel in 1978, never to return. Bassist Doug Ferguson left in 1977, and drummer Andy Ward left Camel in 1981. Did the original band ever come together again?

Floyd did reunite in 2005 for a performance at the global awareness event Live 8. 

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:10

Isn't  Camel really just Andy Latimer by a different name? Keyboardist Peter Bardens (the Richard Wright, or Tony Banks, of the band - imagine Floyd or Genesis w/o them) left Camel in 1978, never to return. Bassist Doug Ferguson left in 1977, and drummer Andy Ward left Camel in 1981. Did the original band ever come together again?

Floyd did reunite in 2005 for a performance at the global awareness event Live 8. 

Consider that Bardens is passed away as well as Rick Wright. 
Anyway on youtube there's a movie of Latimer, Ferguson (more fat than Greg Lake) and Ward playing together in Latimer's house. I don't have the link but I've seen it.

The lineup is not all. The three above played on "I wish I'd Write A Song" of Philip Goodhand-Tait, and they didn't sound like Camel (it was 1971, just after The Brew)

-------------

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:11

My sentiments exactlyClap 
Also you can't do a Floyd album without Rick Wright. Just wouldn't be the same. He was as integral to their sound as the wah wah was to the early Hendrix albums.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Also you can't do a Floyd album without Rick Wright. Just wouldn't be the same. He was as integral to their sound as the wah wah was to the early Hendrix albums.

I've been hoping that Gilmour and Waters would record together again, as a tribute to Rick Wright. If a new Floyd album were dedicated to Richard Wright and somehow about him, then I'm all for the other 3 members making a new Floyd album. I can dream... (Also, it has to be really proggy and spacey, and sound like vintage Floyd circa 1973-1975... LOL

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 09:53

Camel is a band that has changed lineup frequently and now they have the same lineup as their last album in 2002 so the new reunion is not just Latimer but CAMEL.Yes PF(Roger and Dave) even reunited few times after live 8 too.But Gilmour and Waters coming together is always special and I say that they should respect their fans all around the world and reunite again for the last time maybe.I like to see them playing Animals together which is sth I have never seen.

And I agree that Rick was an important part of their sound but the Collaboration of Gilmour and Waters can still result in great new music by itself for sure.

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:23

Camel is a band that has changed lineup frequently and now they have the same lineup as their last album in 2002 so the new reunion is not just Latimer but CAMEL.Yes PF(Roger and Dave) even reunited few times after live 8 too.But Gilmour and Waters coming together is always special and I say that they should respect their fans all around the world and reunite again for the last time maybe.I like to see them playing Animals together which is sth I have never seen.

And I agree that Rick was an important part of their sound but the Collaboration of Gilmour and Waters can still result in great new music by itself for sure.

But, to play devil's advocate here: Guy Pratt has been playing bass for Floyd since 1987 - much longer than Camel's lineup that goes back to 2002. (But, while Pratt might be a nice guy, and he's even married to Richard Wright's daughter, I've never been happy about his connection to Floyd. He seems too happy when he's playing: Floyd's not happy music.)

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:36

But, to play devil's advocate here: Guy Pratt has been playing bass for Floyd since 1987 - much longer than Camel's lineup that goes back to 2002. (But, while Pratt might be a nice guy, and he's even married to Richard Wright's daughter, I've never been happy about his connection to Floyd. He seems too happy when he's playing: Floyd's not happy music.)

LOL
That is exactly what I think about girls dancing in a PF show(Deleicate Sound Of Thunder an Pulse).Gdansk and Royal Alber Hall shows were really better without those girls

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:45
I get what you guys are saying, but I do actually think Floyd has got a lot of humour in their music. Especially the Syd years. Also what about Ummagumma - or the More album with that silly yet wonderful Spanish piece?LOL Heck most of the early Wright lead tunes also had a unique clumsy British way about them that still make me chuckle a bit. Alan's psychedelic Breakfast? Seamus, Bike, Corporal Clegg and lots of others.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 13:59
^^ I think Guy is happy to be *playing the bass* for Floyd/Gilmour....
.....I can play tritones (or similarly sinister note/music) with a smile on my face. It's just great to play the bass !!

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 14:51
Rumour had it Rick Wright had enough material for a new solo album prior to his death in 2008. It would be great to have them collaborate one more time for a studio release, even with the late Wright's input Smile I think merging Gilmour's material into a Floyd piece would be far easier than Water's merging his.....besides the lads are getting on now and have nothing to prove. It would be nice though.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:08
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Rumour had it Rick Wright had enough material for a new solo album prior to his death in 2008. It would be great to have them collaborate one more time for a studio release, even with the late Wright's input Smile I think merging Gilmour's material into a Floyd piece would be far easier than Water's merging his.....besides the lads are getting on now and have nothing to prove. It would be nice though.

I really can't see it happening, Chris. Although relations are cordial now, there has been far too much water under the bridge for any kind of formal studio collaboration.

I will look forward to both solo albums instead, and hopefully enjoy both.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 20:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I really can't see it happening, Chris. Although relations are cordial now, there has been far too much water under the bridge for any kind of formal studio collaboration.
I will look forward to both solo albums instead, and hopefully enjoy both.

I too have been... well, wishing more than hoping, that Gilmour and Waters (and Mason, of course) would collaborate to complete Wrights recordings into a last Pink Floyd album. Of course, this seems most unlikely, and I have absolutley no idea in what conditions Wright left his recordings (perhaps he already had recorded with other musicians, or didn't record enough, etc). Perhaps it would be a bit more likely that Gilmour could take those recordings and finish them as a Wright (or Wright and Gilmour) album. In the end, it would be great if those recordings could see the light of day in any form. Of course, money wouldn't be the reason for either Gilmour nor Waters to take such a job... but love towards music and Wright... in the end, it would need conviction on their part that they would be doing the right thing, and that they would like the final result.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 16:32
Just saw this on another forum I visit...apparently Gilmour is working on a new album with David Crosby and Graham Nash of all people...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/entertainment/david_gilmour_working_on_album_with_crosby_and_nash.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/entertainment/david_gilmour_working_on_album_with_crosby_and_nash.html

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk