Best Guitar & Keyboard Prog Tandem?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95958
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 06:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Guitar & Keyboard Prog Tandem?
Posted By: Gandalff
Subject: Best Guitar & Keyboard Prog Tandem?
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 14:41

I´ve chosen 18 excellent guitar & keyboards tandems from best rated classic or contemporary Prog bands, namely from their Golden years. Which of them is your favourite?

< id="foxcub_translator_popup_win" style="visibility: ; width: 0px; height: 0px; border: 0px; padding: 0px;">

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Replies:
Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 14:53
I've choosen Hackett and Banks because of the awesome tapping guitar and keyboards duo. Otherwise I would have voted for Gilmour and Wright !!

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 14:55
Green & Minnear for me.
Another excellent tandem are Blackmore and Lord.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:01
Too many excellent and for different reasons. I can't vote

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:17
Hackett/Banks from this list, but IMO the duo of Crichton/Gilmour of Saga are peerless! For pure, needless w**kery I guess Petrucci/Rudess are the best:)

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:19
Under normal circumstances I would have picked Fripp & Tippett, but nevertheless I feel that as a tandem are far stronger Akkerman and Van Leer.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:31
Latimer and Bardens are simply perfect together.

Rothery & Kelly, Hackett & Banks, Green & Minnear and Gilmour & Wright are also excellent.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:40
Nice poll.  I went for GG.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:59
Gandalff is in the house.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 16:10

REALLY FRUSTRATED there is not a Holdsworth/Jobson (UK) option.  That middle section on "Nevermore" from the first UK album is INCREDIBLE.  Possibly one of the best guitar/keyboard trade offs i've ever heard in prog (and Wetton plays a wicked bass on it).  This bit begins in "Nevermore" about 2:50 into the 8:10 min long song.  

*sigh*Head on wall

In the meantime, I voted for Hackett/Banks... BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS!  HOLDSWORTH/JOBSON (UK) by far takes this challenge imho.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 16:40
Wow, lots of great teams to vote for but I went for Hackett/Banks as I think they complimented each others styles the best.

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Wow, lots of great teams to vote for but I went for Hackett/Banks as I think they complimented each others styles the best.
That works for me.....
Big smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 17:13
a great one not mentioned is Du Cann/Crane (Atomic Rooster)

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 17:42
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Hackett/Banks from this list, but IMO the duo of Crichton/Gilmour of Saga are peerless!

Kudos, sir!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 18:21
 This is a pet peeve of mineWink  I think one of the great unfortunate missed opportunities in prog music is the fact that Banks and Hackett never worked together again ----Banks is a smug thick head!---and the two of them were the best keys and guitar combo ever. Just totally complement each others playing. This poll makes me mad.Angry and sad.Cry

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 19:09
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

This is a pet peeve of mineWink  I think one of the great unfortunate missed opportunities in prog music is the fact that Banks and Hackett never worked together again ----Banks is a smug thick head!---and the two of them were the best keys and guitar combo ever. Just totally complement each others playing. This poll makes me mad.Angry and sad.Cry

Ya, in every interview I've seen with Banks he really appears to have his arrogance gene running in overdrive.  I thought it was ironic in this poll that I chose Hackett/Banks when it appeared to me that Banks was the main reason Hackett was squeezed out of Genesis in '77 Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 21:11
Hackett said in an interview that Banks had agreed to play on one of his Revisited albums--not sure if it was the first or the more recent one---and at the last minute canceled saying he didn't think it was a good idea or some such nonsense. 

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 21:38
Based on their ability to complement each other, like others have said, Banks & Hackett.

Also, where you've included Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, if you're only going to include part of his family name & not the whole hyphenated thing, the first (Rodriguez) is the correct one, rather than Lopez.. Goes for all or most Spanish family names.

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 22:35

This for sure!

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 22:43
Gilmour and Wright worked wonderfully as a team.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 23:19
Rothery & Kelly are a match made in heaven so gets my vote.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 00:35
I have to be different here and say, despite some wonderful pairings in this list, the dynamo duo of Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart weave incredible magic throughout Khan's 'Space Shanty' album. Just perfectly complementing each other and having fun. Along with the Greenwood/Peachy heavenly rhythm section

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 00:50
Hackett/Banks for me, although I would have voted for Howe/Moraz in a second!  This is Howe playing "Ritual" live with Moraz & Yes, Illinois, 1976 (Solos tour).  He looks like he's having fun!  

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 01:08
Omar R. Lopez is probably my favorite guitarist, however Ikey was never one of my favorite members of TMV. I had to go with Latimer and Bardens, two of my very favorite musicians. 

Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 01:34

Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Based on their ability to complement each other, like others have said, Banks & Hackett.
Also, where you've included Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, if you're only going to include part of his family name & not the whole hyphenated thing, the first (Rodriguez) is the correct one, rather than Lopez.. Goes for all or most Spanish family names.

Well, corrected! Thanks for your notice.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 03:48
Green & Minnear followed by Hackett & Banks then Howe & Wakeman

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 03:51
Went Akkerman & Van Leer. Some pairings listed are very close though. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 06:08
Gives mine to Howe & Wakeman.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 06:11
First vote for the SBB lads.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 06:32
Spinning Fragile or Close to the Edge ought to convince anyone that Howe and Wakeman had a special relationship that deserves a vote here.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 07:47
Hackett and Banks!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 08:54
Howe & Wakeman need more love

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 09:08
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I have to be different here and say, despite some wonderful pairings in this list, the dynamo duo of Steve Hillage and Dave Stewart weave incredible magic throughout Khan's 'Space Shanty' album. Just perfectly complementing each other and having fun. Along with the Greenwood/Peachy heavenly rhythm section

Oh yeah! Hillage and Stewart had a great thing going on between them there.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 09:15
I'd say Latimer and Bardens sounded like a great team

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 09:56
I'd also say that Mike Holmes and Martin Orford of IQ were an utterly amazing combination, second only to Latimer/Bardens. Pity they weren't on the poll.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: MonsterMagnet
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 11:27
Nice poll Smile! I'll choose Zappa/Preston this time, awesome playing.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 11:37
How about Kerry Livgren and Kerry Livgren? Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 12:05
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

That´s like Mike Oldfield and Mike Oldfield.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 12:28
One of my favorite things about my favorite band is the interplay between Howe and Wakeman. They were my first thought when I saw this poll. After that, I would say Akkerman & Van Leer, Green & Minnear, Latimer & Bardens, and then Hackett & Banks.   

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: schizoidman
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 12:29
Went with Hackett and Banks. Could just as well have been Howe and Wakeman.

-------------
Making the useless useful 24/7.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 14:14
Akkerman and Van Leer from the list

Presumably Emerson and Lake are ruled out because Lake was mainly a bass guitarist but when Lake did play lead guitar they were an incredibly dynamic pairing. Best example is Karn Evil 9  which has at least 3 sections with lead guitar although Lake pretty much gave up any aspirations of playing lead after that. I blame his Christmas hit which tagged him as a balladier and so acoustic guitar became his second guitar of choice.Also ELP fell apart which didn't help obviously.

Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 14:19
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Hey, wait a second...

Livgren and Steve Walsh! If those guys were in the poll, I'd vote for them!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 19:22
i really love the tight unisons and interplay betřyween Ian Crichton and Jim Gilmour , what they did as guitar-keybord was boundery breaking, and pushing, highly imitated.

i also like Roye Allbrighton and Alan Freemans playing in Nektar.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 19:27
Howe & Wakeman, but Gilmour & Wright and Hackett & Banks definitely follow suit

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 20:03
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

i really love the tight unisons and interplay betřyween Ian Crichton and Jim Gilmour , what they did as guitar-keybord was boundery breaking, and pushing, highly imitated.

I really love that style on the whole "Worlds Apart" album Wink 

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 20:27
Gilmour & Wright

Also a shoutout for

DuCann - Crane (Atomic Rooster)
Frith - Hodgkinson (Henry Cow)
Miller - Stewart (Hatfield - National Health)
Zago - Botta (Yugen)
Trigaux - Rochette (Present)
Herve - Fromy (Shub Niggurath)
Apetrea - Hollmer (Samla Mammas Manna)
Karoli - Schmidt (CAN)
Fitch - Mann (The Future Kings Of England)

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 20:36
What? No Zappa\Duke (George), no Corea\Di Meola???

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 22:51
Gilmour & Wright

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 00:37
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

What? No Zappa\Duke (George), no Corea\Di Meola???

Even better: Hammer\Di Meola!

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 00:38

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I really love that style on the whole "Worlds Apart" album Wink 

If you've never heard the album right before it -- Silent Knight -- it's spectacular in that respect.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 02:33
can't vote, can''t make up my mind LOL

BTW, since you have there the UH tandem, why not a Deep Purple one? No Blackmore/Lord?

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 04:36
Jan and Thijs

Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 06:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

can't vote, can''t make up my mind LOL

BTW, since you have there the UH tandem, why not a Deep Purple one? No Blackmore/Lord?

Simple answer - Uriah Heep are listed here as Heavy Prog, thus actually fully-fledged Prog, while Deep Purple is listed as Proto-Prog, thus actually non-Prog, additionally yellow-marked on PA headline. We can agree with that or not, but that's about the only thing we can do against it.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 07:13
So, it's time for honorable mention of my compatriots. I believe that there are excellent but somewhat neglected Prog tandems: Radim Hladík & Lešek Semelka (Blue Effect), Luboš Andršt & Martin Kratochvíl (Jazz Q) and especially František Griglák & Marián Varga (Collegium Musicum). The last mentioned we can daringly compare to Akkerman & Van Leer.

Recommended!

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I have to agree with this - the interplay is flawless and inventive, and sounds spontaneous, like one mind with four hands.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 14:16
Gilmour & Wright from Pink Floyd.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 21:06
So many great teams here that it's actually impossible to choose a favourite one. I guess it's even more difficult than to choose just a fav guitar or keyboard player, because the team work is what might make both sound so much better. I guess I'll go with Howe/Wakeman, just because they are left a bit behing, and technically are perhaps my very favourite (though I love the sound of many others just as much, despite the fact -or maybe just because- they may not be so technically proficient). Really, I could just as easily have voted for half of the option in this poll too. By the way, it's a real shame that Petrucci/Rudess doesn't havve one single vote... they are really wonderful too, and technically speaking, perhaps even more awsome than even Howe/Wakeman. On the other hand, I guess with Jethro Tull the duo of instruments is more important between guitar and flute than with guitar and keyboards. And with Focus it might actually work as a trio guitar/keyboards/flute.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk