Is Porcupine Tree really Heavy Prog?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95981
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 08:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is Porcupine Tree really Heavy Prog?
Posted By: schizoidman
Subject: Is Porcupine Tree really Heavy Prog?
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:02

Sure seem like an Eclectic Prog band at this point in time to me.

The eclecticism can be heard in albums ranging from "The Sky Moves Sideways" to "Lightbulb Sun" to "Deadwing" to "The Incident".

Reminds me of the progression of Crimson from "In the Court...." to "Islands" to "Larks' Tongues...." to "Red" to "Discipline" to "Thrak".

-------------
Making the useless useful 24/7.

Replies:
Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:15
Heavy Prog seems fine to me.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:18
Only In Absentia and Deadwing really fit this category imo. BUT they are my favourite PT albums by several county miles so..

Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Only In Absentia and Deadwing really fit this category imo. BUT they are my favourite PT albums by several county miles so..

Fear of a Blank Planet?

Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:35
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Fear of a Blank Planet?

I suppose so but I get the feeling the style was shifting towards 'eclectic'. I guess you are right though.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:42
Porcupine Tree is eclectic heavy psychedelic crossover prog to me. Yes they're certainly more than heavy though.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:52
Yes. Their last four albums are the benchmark for heavy prog. Sure, they have albums that are crossover and albums that are psych, but if someone asks me what "heavy prog" is, I'll say the last 4 PT records.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 16:36
They clearly belong in Caerdydd Gwesty Cwrw Blasus Prog............

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 16:54
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Porcupine Tree is eclectic heavy <span dir="auto">psychedelic crossover prog to me. Yes they're </span>certainly more than heavy though.

Pretty accurate description here. I'll agree with this. Also, PT even flirted with a bit of Prog/metal in their Fear Of A Black Planet album, which is still to this day their heaviest album. and......

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 23:02
I would count PT as crossover prog. There's a lot of strange inclusions in heavy prog category. For example, The Mars Volta are clearly eclectic prog, because, despite their music is heavy, their heaviness have nothing in common with heavy rock, because it's mostly hardcore punk mixed with jazz, Chicano, psychedelic rock and electronic music.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 00:08

Porcupine Tree is eclectic heavy <span dir="auto">psychedelic crossover prog to me. Yes they're </span>certainly more than heavy though.
Nailed it in one line

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 00:21
So, are we going to have a thread like this for every band on PA now? I'll get the popcorn.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 10:59
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

I would count PT as crossover prog. There's a lot of strange inclusions in heavy prog category. For example, The Mars Volta are clearly eclectic prog, because, despite their music is heavy, their heaviness have nothing in common with heavy rock, because it's mostly hardcore punk mixed with jazz, Chicano, psychedelic rock and electronic music.
I was going to say something along those lines.....what exactly is 'heavy prog' supposed to mean? To me it means loud , dark ,and intense.....only half or less of their music fits that imo.
As several have mentioned they straddle several categories.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 11:18
I think the problem with classifying some groups is that artists progress to different genres. The KC that made "In the Court...." is not the KC that made "Discipline" and is not the KC that made "Thrak". Those albums represent three completely different sub-genres of prog.

The need to categorize is real. If for no other reason than to have a reference point of some kind for the audience to use when searching for music they enjoy or would like to get to know better or explore for the first time.

I think a solution would be to have two different categories: one for the artist as a singular entity, the other, for each of the artists individual albums.

So, KC remain Eclectic Prog as a group.
"In the Court...." becomes Symphonic Prog.
"Thrak" becomes Heavy Prog.
And so on.......

-------------

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 12:44
^ That would be a lot of hard work for the Prog genre teams, they would not be happy...

If we include albums such as Voyage 34 and Metanoia then technically speaking PT have done more psychedelic albums than heavy Prog. I always treat PT as either psychedelic or Ecletic Prog. The PA definition of Ecletic Prog is "a summation of elements from various musical sources, and the influences and career paths of bands that take from a wide range of genres or styles". They have done psychedelic (Pink Floyd inspired), crossover (Radiohead) and Heavy Prog. The definition of Eclectic Prog talks about evolution over a bands career which PT have done.

So I would ditch the Heavy Prog label and go for either Psychedelic or Eclectic. I prefer the latter as it covers their entire discovery which heavy or psychedelic dosen't.     

Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 12:51
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

I think the problem with classifying some groups is that artists progress to different genres. The KC that made "In the Court...." is not the KC that made "Discipline" and is not the KC that made "Thrak". Those albums represent three completely different sub-genres of prog.

The need to categorize is real. If for no other reason than to have a reference point of some kind for the audience to use when searching for music they enjoy or would like to get to know better or explore for the first time.

I think a solution would be to have two different categories: one for the artist as a singular entity, the other, for each of the artists individual albums.

And so on.......

As I posted in another thread...

"You can find the progressive rock music discographies from 8,329 bands & artists, 42,079 albums (LP, CD and DVD)"

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 13:19
A third is, yes.

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 13:22
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

^ That would be a lot of hard work for the Prog genre teams, they would not be happy...

If we include albums such as Voyage 34 and Metanoia then technically speaking PT have done more psychedelic albums than heavy Prog. I always treat PT as either psychedelic or Ecletic Prog. The PA definition of Ecletic Prog is "a summation of elements from various musical sources, and the influences and career paths of bands that take from a wide range of genres or styles". They have done psychedelic (Pink Floyd inspired), crossover (Radiohead) and Heavy Prog. The definition of Eclectic Prog talks about evolution over a bands career which PT have done.

So I would ditch the Heavy Prog label and go for either Psychedelic or Eclectic. I prefer the latter as it covers their entire discovery which heavy or psychedelic dosen't.     

imho, Eclectic Prog would cover PT's catalog much more descriptively than Heavy Prog does.

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 13:25

Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

And so on.......

As I posted in another thread...

"You can find the progressive rock music discographies from 8,329 bands & artists, 42,079 albums (LP, CD and DVD)"

Point well taken. I certainly do not expect the PA mods to slog through 42,079 albums to categorize each one....just throwing ideas around for discussions sake.......

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 17:43
They are not Prog at all! Big smile Was this inspired by my Is King Crimson really Eclectic Prog? thread Wink

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 21:19
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

They are not Prog at all! Big smile Was this inspired by my Is King Crimson really Eclectic Prog? thread Wink

Most assuredly

-------------

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 21:28
Sounds like a question I would ask. They went from psychedelic to Floyd inspired prog/psychedelic to alternative to heavy prog to metallish prog then  back to spacey prog(I think). They've been all around. Yeah, I agree that eclectic prog is a better label for them. However, I'd say heavy prog is still better than prog metal which they are sometimes labelled. However, to be fair, it was their flirtations with metal that got them a wider audience and much more exposure outside of the prog community. 

Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 22:23
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Sounds like a question I would ask. They went from psychedelic to Floyd inspired prog/psychedelic to alternative to heavy prog to metallish prog then  back to spacey prog(I think). They've been all around. Yeah, I agree that eclectic prog is a better label for them. However, I'd say heavy prog is still better than prog metal which they are sometimes labelled. However, to be fair, it was their flirtations with metal that got them a wider audience and much more exposure outside of the prog community. 

The ongoing marketing of PT has been done with the utmost respect to SW's music and his original audience. Do I think listing PT as Heavy Prog is getting him and PT more exposure? Absolutely. Do I think they deserve it? Absolutely.

I care the least for the Metal Prog-side of PT, but, I respect SW for doing it. For taking a risk. For growing. For not sticking to a formula.

If having PT listed as Heavy Prog does SW and PT a good service then, by all means, keep them listed as such.

-------------

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 22:58
I do not know why is it so important to know the sub-genre of a determinated band. Makes you like more? No. Makes you like less? No.

As of Porcupine Tree, I consider most of their songs not prog rock at all, but I like them.

-------------

Posted By: norockets
Date Posted: November 21 2013 at 22:48
They are post neo-folk metal ambient psychedelic drum and bass orchestral pre-progressive.  Labels are meaningless.

-------------
www.porcupinetree.com

Date Posted: November 23 2013 at 18:38
Originally posted by norockets norockets wrote:

They are post neo-folk metal ambient psychedelic drum and bass orchestral pre-progressive.  Labels are meaningless.

While we perhaps get too hung up with labels, I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: November 25 2013 at 19:56
They are something like Heavy psychedelic prog...

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 26 2013 at 09:56

Heavy Prog seems fine to me.

I think the problem is the description that the term implies, which people take to mean a sound effect that makes it sound heavier and all it is is "lower" and amplified with more noise, and you call it "heavy" and it is not even worth the effort if you put it to a scale.

If "heavy" meant "meaningful", then I would say that PT fits, and REALLY well!

But I doubt that today's audiences know or understand the difference. There is way too much stuff out there that is totally weightless and is being hord'd around as "heavy" and all it is, is noisy! Might be heavy as in fat, but that would be a terrible description of a music sub-genre!

While I happen to like the Dream Theater work in general, they can be heavy musically, but lyrically they have a tendency to leave a lot to be desired and in fact I would say they are quite light in that area. But the mix works ok for them, and I won't argue it either way. Just a feeling!

It's not like the "heavyness" in the old days, meant that BERNARD HERRMAN knew how to scare the living sh*t out of you when something big happened on the screen that we could not possibly imagine, and that intentional "strength" and "attack" as it is known nowadays in a synthesizer context, had a way to really shake up your ideas and vision, and it helped make the film more attractive, and in many ways it WAS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE, unlike the more insipid classical music that was coming around. Right after it came rock music with its innovative expression and forceful emotion, and that was that ... so for the record, Janis Joplin singing "Ball and Chain" is way heavier than 95 of the 100 examples you can write here as "heavy" ... but you will never hear that, will you?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 26 2013 at 10:06
I could condescend¹ to say the word supercilious² springs to mind, but that would be patronising³.

notes:
¹ condescend is showing that one feels superior
² supercilious is behaving as though one thinks they are superior to others
³ patronising is when you talk down to people.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 07:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I could condescend¹ to say the word supercilious² springs to mind, but that would be patronising³.

Your posts is really on topic!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 08:12
In the presence of experts one tends to pick up a thing to two.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 11:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[
While I happen to like the Dream Theater work in general, they can be heavy musically, but lyrically they have a tendency to leave a lot to be desired

A little off topic but yes. Horrible lyrics.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 13:27

I love you Dean. LOL  Hug

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 13:53
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

Yes. Their last four albums are the benchmark for heavy prog. Sure, they have albums that are crossover and albums that are psych, but if someone asks me what "heavy prog" is, I'll say the last 4 PT records.
I wouldn't go so far as to say their last four albums define heavy prog, but this is essentially correct   I prefer earlier stuf, myself.

-------------

Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 18:40
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

I love you Dean. LOL  Hug

And who says the word 'Love' is used too loosely these days? Regardless, it's a nice thing to say.
Being in the moment is to live in the moment.    

-------------

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 12:45
i'd really like to listen to more of these guys, but their production is so bad.  prog production is bad on the whole, but PT sounds so tinny and canned.  especially the guitars.  the vocals sound a million miles away and the drums are so muffled.  it really is ironic given that wilson's solo albums have set a new bar for rock production.  

-------------
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 13:06
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

i'd really like to listen to more of these guys, but their production is so bad.  prog production is bad on the whole, but PT sounds so tinny and canned.  especially the guitars.  the vocals sound a million miles away and the drums are so muffled.  it really is ironic given that wilson's solo albums have set a new bar for rock production.  
I suspect that's more to do with the way Wilson wants his music to sound with PT...and ironically he is supposedly an expert in the studio even being asked to remaster recent prog lp's by several well known bands.
Go figure.....

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 13:34

Does it matter? Does it make you like the music more or less? To have to define a band with a label...

They have a lot of prog elements, they have metal elements, pop, hard rock, alternative, eclectic, symphonic and psychadelia and probably others.

They make great music.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:24
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Does it matter? Does it make you like the music more or less? To have to define a band with a label...

They have a lot of prog elements, they have metal elements, pop, hard rock, alternative, eclectic, symphonic and psychadelia and probably others.

They make great music.

Jose, you are just about the wisest man on this site.

THISClap

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:38
Definitely PTree get the majority of thier attention (at least outside of our sort of prog circles) since their association with Opeth, and their last few heavier albums - (ie `In Absentia' onwards). I can now walk into just about any music store down here and find several of their albums, usually listed under the `heavy metal' section. Their concerts (and Wilson's solo shows) were littered with people in metal t-shirts.

So while it may bug me that not only does the Heavy Prog tag kind of dismiss all those wonderful varied early albums, but most of the fans who came to the band from the heavier albums dismiss those same early albums....the tag is perfect for the majority of their audience.

So hard for me not to rant about this!

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

They make great music.

THISClap

I learned that from someone named lazland.....Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:44

They make great music.

THISClap

Hug

Cheers mate. Actually, I really must start listening to this lot again, it has been an age, mainly due to the fact that I found, and still do, The Incident extraordinarily dull and derivative.

That should not take away from the fact that they are one of the most important bands in modern prog.

I think Lazurus will be my final song before bed. I absolutely adore that song.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 16:59

They make great music.

THISClap

Hug

Cheers mate. Actually, I really must start listening to this lot again, it has been an age, mainly due to the fact that I found, and still do, The Incident extraordinarily dull and derivative.

That should not take away from the fact that they are one of the most important bands in modern prog.

I agree about Deadwing, its one of my fav PT albums and that song is almost perfect. The Incident is not my fav but I do enjoy it. I hope they come out of hiatus soon, I know SW is working on another solo album probably for late 2014 release, so maybe 2015 PT return.

One can only hope.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 17:02

They make great music.

THISClap

Hug

I agree about Deadwing, its one of my fav PT albums and that song is almost perfect. The Incident is not my fav but I do enjoy it. I hope they come out of hiatus soon, I know SW is working on another solo album probably for late 2014 release, so maybe 2015 PT return.

One can only hope.

Indeed. It would be a great shame if his solo output and his remastering work became all he does, because the band environment brought out the best in him.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 17:07

They make great music.

THISClap

Hug

One can only hope.

Indeed. It would be a great shame if his solo output and his remastering work became all he does, because the band environment brought out the best in him.

Well I am selfish...'cause his remix work is the best work being done right now, and since he is such a vinyl/analog lover it really shows in the vinyl versions of the work he does....so I am happy.

But yes, I could put my selfishness away and hope for a PT return Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 18:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Definitely PTree get the majority of thier attention (at least outside of our sort of prog circles) since their association with Opeth, and their last few heavier albums - (ie `In Absentia' onwards). I can now walk into just about any music store down here and find several of their albums, usually listed under the `heavy metal' section. Their concerts (and Wilson's solo shows) were littered with people in metal t-shirts.

So while it may bug me that not only does the Heavy Prog tag kind of dismiss all those wonderful varied early albums, but most of the fans who came to the band from the heavier albums dismiss those same early albums....the tag is perfect for the majority of their audience.

So hard for me not to rant about this!

Me as well, buddy. Me as well. PT carry a pretty wide range of sounds, so labeling them definitively to one sub genre seems pretty ridiculous. Anyhow, a lot is clicking with PT's sound and they really have become more mainstream.
You can even find some of their albums in a Canadian HMV outlet for god sakes. Lol.
I'm very curious to see what approach PT will have on their next album.
Anything like Absentia or Lightbulb Sun I'd be all over. Great albums. Also about as IMO as I can take. ;)

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 18:31

<h1>Is Porcupine Tree really Heavy Prog?</h1>

They make great music.

THISClap

You both are awesome assets to PA. I'm gonna name you both Wiser10 and Wiselaze.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 18:34
Yep, Nick, down here, most stores even have a tag on the shelves with `Porcupine Tree' written on it! So they're popular enough to get their own header, ohhh, what a privilege, how special!

I'd go as far as saying that PTree/Wilson have made a more mainstream success with people who have never even heard the term `progressive rock'!

We're just the hip, cool ones that DO know of the term!

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 18:57
^ oh no kidding Micheal, I still get looked at like a dear caught in headlights when I throw my Prog terms at friends/family.
It's hysterical. Yes. PT are chugging harm, but hey Dream Theater are making noise again being nominated for a Grammy Award for the 2nd year in a row. The Enemy Inside is making mainstream waves. Lol people and critics are starting to get it. But yes, back to PT of course. They are making 'progressive Waves' for sure. I can't believe it took this long, but then again and I'm sorry to say but most people that I know listen to the commercial, pop laden bubble gum music like Bruno Mars, Britney Spears and that Drake guy. Ouch!

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 19:11
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I'm sorry to say but most people that I know listen to the commercial, pop laden bubble gum music like Bruno Mars, Britney Spears and that Drake guy. Ouch!

You're lucky, a few weeks back I had a grown woman in here at work talking about Miley Cyrus for over two hours.....I kid you not, TWO HOURS...and a grown up as well. I'm sorry, but if you're over the age of 16, you should have NO interest in that short of sh*t - no excuses!
Now I'm pissed off thinking about it again, time for me to get my prog on STAT!

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 19:20

They make great music.

THISClap

You both are awesome assets to PA. I'm gonna name you both Wiser10 and Wiselaze.

may I suggest Wizeland, gives laz a "country" to rule! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 19:26

They make great music.

THISClap

may I suggest Wizeland, gives laz a "country" to rule! LOL

Well suggest ye shall! Lol. Very nice, CatchingWise.
I guess the ruler of a country is more respectable than a country layabout,
But remember being lazy can be a clever art. Lol.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'm sorry to say but most people that I know listen to the commercial, pop laden bubble gum music like Bruno Mars, Britney Spears and that Drake guy. Ouch!

You're lucky, a few weeks back I had a grown woman in here at work talking about Miley Cyrus for over two hours.....I kid you not, TWO HOURS...and a grown up as well. I'm sorry, but if you're over the age of 16, you should have NO interest in that short of sh*t - no excuses!
Now I'm pissed off thinking about it again, time for me to get my prog on STAT!

You have no idea how many times I've had to wash my ears out with quality Prog. Lol.
Man...2 hrs! Jesus....uh oh....careful with that axe Eugene...I mean Michael.

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 21:50
I was at a Guitar Center buying my first guitar a few weeks ago.  The salesman asked me what bands I listen to.  I said "old Yes and Genesis; newer bands l like Porcupine Tree and Riverside."  He then proceeded to play a bit of "Lazarus"! Big smile

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: January 25 2014 at 23:23
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I was at a Guitar Center buying my first guitar a few weeks ago.  The salesman asked me what bands I listen to.  I said "old Yes and Genesis; newer bands l like Porcupine Tree and Riverside."  He then proceeded to play a bit of "Lazarus"! Big smile

Nice!

-------------

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: January 26 2014 at 01:08
Hey, I thought this looked familiar. LOL That's because I started a similar thread a few years ago.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71484&KW=&PID=3857751#3857751

I wonder how many PA addicts posted in both threads. Wink

Anyway, yeah I also asked the same thing about the band Echolyn(who I am sure some of you are familiar with)in regards to them being listed as symph when I thought they should be considered "eclectic prog" on here.

As for PT, I think eclectic prog works best because they have changed their sound a lot from album to album. Not every album was psychedelic, heavy or alternative sounding but some were any one of those during different phases of the band. I sort of lost interest in PT somewhere about six or seven years ago and never even heard their last album. I eventually bought Deadwing and FOABP but for me personally IA was their last truly great album. I just found FOABP and DW to be less inspired. They weren't bad at all but for me the magic was lost as soon as they started to try to win over a metal audience(which they did succeed to a great degree).

Date Posted: January 26 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

....As for PT, I think eclectic prog works best because they have changed their sound a lot from album to album. Not every album was psychedelic, heavy or alternative sounding but some were any one of those during different phases of the band. I sort of lost interest in PT somewhere about six or seven years ago and never even heard their last album. I eventually bought Deadwing and FOABP but for me personally IA was their last truly great album. I just found FOABP and DW to be less inspired. They weren't bad at all but for me the magic was lost as soon as they started to try to win over a metal audience(which they did succeed to a great degree).
I tend to agree with you in that IA was their last really strong album. While Deadwing (Arriving and Lazarus,,,,) and Fear have some good songs they aren't as consistent as the earlier ones.
My personal favorites are Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, and IA. 

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: January 26 2014 at 11:37

Same here. But there are several great pieces in "The Incident" as well, and I think that we're being way too critical. But I am coming to think that "The Incident" might have been better as a solo album for Steven Wilson than a group album, by all the reverie and discussion.

You know what? I like PT better than the solo stuff Steven is doing! How's that for weird? I find Steven's stuff glorified and too self-centered for my tastes.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 26 2014 at 11:46
One of my all time favorite PT tracks done live.............as good as it gets imho.
heavy prog...? it is to me......

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: January 27 2014 at 16:26
Personally I found PT a bit dull until I heard Deadwing. That has some 'guts' to it. After that I was hooked and went back and rediscovered Stupid Dream , an album I had previously dismissed ( and even swapped for an IQ bootleg).

Steve Wilson solo music tops it all off though. 3 solid gold masterpeices in a row. I think PT is all but done and dusted.

Date Posted: January 27 2014 at 16:43

Personally I found PT a bit dull until I heard Deadwing. That has some 'guts' to it. After that I was hooked and went back and rediscovered Stupid Dream , an album I had previously dismissed ( and even swapped for an IQ bootleg).

Steve Wilson solo music tops it all off though. 3 solid gold masterpeices in a row. I think PT is all but done and dusted.

I think you are right. PT would appear to be gone forever.

I got the first SW solo album, and thought it a good one, but nothing special (I haven't listened to it in an age). Haven't bothered with the other two. Knowing my tastes, would I be more impressed with the last two?

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 27 2014 at 16:54

I got the first SW solo album, and thought it a good one, but nothing special (I haven't listened to it in an age). Haven't bothered with the other two. Knowing my tastes, would I be more impressed with the last two?
The Raven is easily my favorite of his 3 solo albums.  I think that you would like it.  No guarantees of course, but I have found that our tastes have a lot of overlap so there is hope that you would like the new one.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2014 at 16:56
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The Raven is easily my favorite of his 3 solo albums.  I think that you would like it.  No guarantees of course, but I have found that our tastes have a lot of overlap so there is hope that you would like the new one.

Good enough for me, ScottSmile

I will be getting Transatlantic and Oldfield new ones at the end of the week, so The Raven will go on my February payday list.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2014 at 19:28

Fear Of A Black Planet had some 'guts' to it as well.
I liked that PT have really experimented as drastically with their sound as say, Anathema...ok maybe not quite as extreme as Anathema but PT have done fairly well. Personally I don't love them, but when they go to their more IMO side with their sound like on LIGHTBULB SUN I think they are more successful with that sound understanding.
Absentia had a mix of both whereby it was richly melodic with a touch of the metal edge to it.
I can respect PT but they are way down the list for me though.

As I said before I am very curious to see/hear what direction sound wise they take for their next recording.
I'd check it out. :)

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2014 at 19:32

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Good enough for me, ScottSmile
I will be getting Transatlantic and Oldfield new ones at the end of the week, so The Raven will go on my February payday list.

Think that new Transatlantic Record may have to be mine as well. ;)
Listened to Neal Morse's ONE album last night and it inspired me a bit to get keliedescope     

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2014 at 16:29

I liked that PT have really experimented as drastically with their sound as say, Anathema...ok maybe not quite as extreme as Anathema but PT have done fairly well. Personally I don't love them, but when they go to their more IMO side with their sound like on LIGHTBULB SUN I think they are more successful with that sound understanding.
Absentia had a mix of both whereby it was richly melodic with a touch of the metal edge to it.

As I said before I am very curious to see/hear what direction sound wise they take for their next recording.

I regard In Absentia and Deadwing as the bands peak and both masterpeices. FOABP and The Incident are merely 'excellent' so my feeling is that SW was in danger of stagnation creatively even if the standard had not noticeably dropped all that much. I think SW needed to move outside that and work with a different bunch of musicians who could offer a new challenge. It worked perfectly imo. My only worry is the Marco is no longer part of this group. As a drummer he is one of the best I've heard in recent years.

Anathema are a band I like a lot and I'm a bit suprised they are not as highly regarded as Riverside and PT.

Date Posted: January 28 2014 at 19:21

I regard In Absentia and Deadwing as the bands peak and both masterpeices. FOABP and The Incident are merely 'excellent' so my feeling is that SW was in danger of stagnation creatively even if the standard had not noticeably dropped all that much. I think SW needed to move outside that and work with a different bunch of musicians who could offer a new challenge. It worked perfectly imo. My only worry is the Marco is no longer part of this group. As a drummer he is one of the best I've heard in recent years.
Anathema are a band I like a lot and I'm a bit suprised they are not as highly regarded as Riverside and PT.

Have you heard Lightbulb Sun? It's richly melodic with traces of Floyd like sound moods. For instance, the track 'Russia On Ice' which is a haunting/beautiful 13+min masterpiece has to be my favourite PT song of all time and it carries a Floyd like flavor as well. It's absolutely amazing. Very moving. Wilson never sounded better as well. His voice is perfect for that song.
Also Richard. Totally agree with you about Anathema. I saw them in concert last summer and I have nothing but great things to say about their musicianship. Not only was WEATHER SYSTEMS a complete gem it was the main feature on Anathema's set list. I was so pleased. Agh I'm listening to that album tonight!
Way to go, Richard. Ya got me hooked on Weather Systems. Lol
Oh and Anathema should definitely be as highly regarded as Riverside. No question.
2 quality bands

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2014 at 21:46

I think Raven is a masterpiece.....its dark, its melodic, it jams hard in many places. Think of Marillion with some real hard jazz-fusion portions, I have a feeling you will like it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2014 at 01:04

I think Raven is a masterpiece.....its dark, its melodic, it jams hard in many places. Think of Marillion with some real hard jazz-fusion portions, I have a feeling you will like it.

Definitely on the list!Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: January 29 2014 at 01:29

Have you heard Lightbulb Sun? It's richly melodic with traces of Floyd like sound moods. For instance, the track 'Russia On Ice' which is a haunting/beautiful 13+min masterpiece has to be my favourite PT song of all time and it carries a Floyd like flavor as well. It's absolutely amazing. Very moving. Wilson never sounded better as well. His voice is perfect for that song.
Also Richard. Totally agree with you about Anathema. I saw them in concert last summer and I have nothing but great things to say about their musicianship. Not only was WEATHER SYSTEMS a complete gem it was the main feature on Anathema's set list. I was so pleased. Agh I'm listening to that album tonight!
Way to go, Richard. Ya got me hooked on Weather Systems. Lol
Oh and Anathema should definitely be as highly regarded as Riverside. No question.
2 quality bands

Yep I've got all PT from Up The Downstair onwards. I probably don't pay enough attention to Lightbulb Sun. Russia on Ice , yep I have that on my I-pod as part of a small selection of PT songs. Signify is an interesting album to me as it contains a lot of diversity and different ideas.

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 03:55
I think Porcupine Tree is a neo-prog band, not so heavy.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 04:15
PT went through many phases throughout their career, and covered a whole range of different styles, both Prog, and Non-Prog. Heavy, Neo, Symphonic, Indie, Space/Psych etc. They could be considered Eclectic IMHO.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 04:51
For PA purposes... I'd go for ecelctic as a category, very diverse styles. I have all but only really did not like The Incident.

I've other material (IEM. solos) but it's really P Tree that is my favourite SW project. Grace For Drowning would have made a great (last) P Tree album; it's the solo album closest to P Tree c. Stupid Dream but before In Absentia.

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: April 30 2014 at 04:52
Maybe, but a fuzz guitar is not yet a heavy rock, IMO.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 15:02
I would say that PT has had at least three "periods." The first (first 3 albums) I would call "experimental." The second (Signify to In Absentia) was neo-prog with occasional "heavy" (even metal) elements. The third (Deadwing to the present) has been more "heavy" overall.

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 15:04
If any of you honestly think that PT has ever even had a second of neo-progin their music, you really need to go and research what neo-prog is a bit more.

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: paganinio
Date Posted: May 10 2014 at 01:18
Heavy Prog is actually an average!

Early albums: Softer than heavy prog.

Newer albums: Heavier than heavy prog.

Combine the two together, you get ClapClapClapClap 

Heavy Prog

-------------

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: May 10 2014 at 12:58
The answer to the question is certainly no.
A Porcupine Tree is a large plant that bears spiny fruit.

Accordingly, PA should immediately add new categories to accommodate plants, animals, and things we're not really sure about.

Curiously, most prog fits in the latter category.
LOL

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 10:02
I think they would fit better in Experimental/Post Metal or Prog Metal

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 10:16
They already moved to a heavier sound back in the mid 90s really. Listen to Spiral Circus for proof of that;)
Lightbulb Sun had lots of heavy sections, and with Gavin on board Steve has been able to experiment with his riffing skills the last 6 years of PT's life ( let's hope they breathe some life into that sucker again though ).
I think Heavy fits perfectly well. Anyway it doesn't matter. It's just a sticker anyway. It's the same way with Mars Volta. Would you describe them as purely a heavy prog band? No, but among many things they're still heavy for the most part of their records. A sub is just a place to store a band, so we can get on with it:)

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Kashmir75
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 21:03
I personally don't much care if Porcupine Tree are prog or not. They're still one of my favourite bands. I don't see the need to be labelling everything. 

I certainly would not call them neo prog. Theirs is a sound which diverges greatly from that created by Marillion, IQ, etc. 

They're just as eclectic as KC are. The Sky Moves Sideways is utterly different to Deadwing. Deadwing is utterly different to Stupid Dream. 

If you have to slap a label on them , eclectic prog would fit best, i think . 

-------------
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:13

Well said. I agree with this totally. I wish we could categorize by the album like on MMA & JMA

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:59
Yeah, I think this whole argument illustrates why it was such a boon for Metal Music Archives and Jazz Music Archives to have a setup where genres are applied to albums, not artists - Porcupine Tree are one of those artists who have toured through a whole swathe of subgenres in their time and trying to put all of their work under one category is nigh-impossible.

I guess the only solution is to accept that whatever category they are put in won't feel right to some people, unless this site shifts over to MMA/JMA's format - and that'd be such a big project I won't count on it happening any time soon.

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:56
Not sure about the eclectic prog tag on the latest (last?) Porcupine Tree offering by some, but they did evolve from crossover prog over space rock and back to crossover prog to end up in heavy prog IMO.

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:40
Can't really put my finger on any particular sub-genre to classify Porcupine Tree's music...
But i don't really object to PT's placement in Heavy Prog here at the Progarchives though.

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:10
I agree with the eclectic prog tag for them on this site since taken as a whole, their discography is without doubt eclectic. Even within their heaviest albums every song isn't heavy. Funny that this very debate is on MMA right now. There they are listed as progressive metal and there is talk about moving them to metal related which sounds like a good move 

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 05:40
It's worth noting that, to my knowledge, some of the terms we use on here (crossover prog, eclectric prog, maybe heavy prog too) don't really seem to have had much use outside of ProgArchives and those exposed to the Archives - they're terms invented by the users on this site back in the day in order to categorise albums which would otherwise be uncategorisable. You didn't have people in the 1970s talk about Supertramp being crossover prog or VdGG being eclectic prog, whilst you did have people talking about zeuhl, RIO, and the Canterbury scene as being distinct things, for example.

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 05:56
you can ask this same question about a bunch of bands here, especially those who have changed their style over the years. I presume it would be too much fuss to change constantly bands from one category to the other. 

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

It's worth noting that, to my knowledge, some of the terms we use on here (crossover prog, eclectric prog, maybe heavy prog too) don't really seem to have had much use outside of ProgArchives and those exposed to the Archives - they're terms invented by the users on this site back in the day in order to categorise albums which would otherwise be uncategorisable. You didn't have people in the 1970s talk about Supertramp being crossover prog or VdGG being eclectic prog, whilst you did have people talking about zeuhl, RIO, and the Canterbury scene as being distinct things, for example.

Another one i ve noticed that exists no where else us rock progressivo italiano. I like rym's classification system. PFM is simply symphonic prog, area is avant prog and jazz fusion and some bands like porcupine tree get more than one category.i m sure it would be more time than the volunteer staff here can put in so we are probably stuck with PT as heavy prog. Readrrs will just have to read revuews to figure it out

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 08:50
I think heavy prog is a good tag for later PT albums as I would hate to put any type of metal tag on them just for the In Absentia album. Dead Wing started in the same mode but the material soon shifted to what I feel is a good description of heavy prog with Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident following suite.

Posted By: Stereolab
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 18:18
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I agree with the eclectic prog tag for them on this site since taken as a whole, their discography is without doubt eclectic. Even within their heaviest albums every song isn't heavy. Funny that this very debate is on MMA right now. There they are listed as progressive metal and there is talk about moving them to metal related which sounds like a good move 

Metal is the least of PT and SW's musical influences IMHO. Far more electronica, space rock, etc. Maybe my memory is failing me on some obvious tracks though...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk