Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95984
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 23:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nektar vs Saga
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Nektar vs Saga
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 16:00
two very sci/fi oriented heavy / melodic progressive rock bands with realy good lead guitars.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 16:04
I can only speak subjectively, but for my tastes it's an easy choice.  I like Nektar whereas Saga is not really my bag..

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 16:23
Nektar for me.  I really like Saga's "Worlds Apart" but Nektar's "Recycled" is a classic Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 16:26
Nektar by miles.

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 16:58
Neither. Didn't like the little I've heard from either band.

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:02
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Neither. Didn't like the little I've heard from either band.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:16
Nektar

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 17:25
I only like the first two alums from Nektar but they are my pick.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 19:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I like Nektar whereas Saga is not really my bag.

The opposite for me...

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 23:16
Saga by a mile. I still can't get into Nektar!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 23:29
Nektar by far........I have always thought that Saga were a mediocre AOR band.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 19 2013 at 23:56
Love Nektar, have most of their albums but only have the first Saga album (which I like a lot - 'Ice Nice' is fantastic). Not really fair to vote. I need to get more Saga LP's.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 01:17
both

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 01:56
you made things very easy to vote since you have the "both" option and i do like both bands. LOL

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 01:37
Saga is a branch of the prog family tree which went in a unique direction, a direction underestimated by listeners who last checked in in 1985.  Saga is not new wave, but shares some synth and vocal styles with that genre.  Saga is not prog metal, but has the intensity and the virtuosity to compete in that realm.  Saga is not symphonic prog, but the composition and classical melodies do invite comparison.

Saga is prog that rocks.  Kind of like David Bowie, they have their own original sense of melody, which makes the listener have to invest a little to appreciate it.  Also, ironically, they have made the best music of their career in this last decade, long after their popularity peaked in the 80's.

Saga wrote a concept album with an original theme which unfolded over 4 decades of albums.  You can hear it all put together on "The Chapters Live."

Want to hear the best progressive rock song from last year?  Pick up "Sagacity" and treat yourself to "Go With the Flow"

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 04:56
Neither

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 09:47
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

Saga is a branch of the prog family tree which went in a unique direction, a direction underestimated by listeners who last checked in in 1985.  Saga is not new wave, but shares some synth and vocal styles with that genre.  Saga is not prog metal, but has the intensity and the virtuosity to compete in that realm.  Saga is not symphonic prog, but the composition and classical melodies do invite comparison.

Saga is prog that rocks.  Kind of like David Bowie, they have their own original sense of melody, which makes the listener have to invest a little to appreciate it.  Also, ironically, they have made the best music of their career in this last decade, long after their popularity peaked in the 80's.

Saga wrote a concept album with an original theme which unfolded over 4 decades of albums.  You can hear it all put together on "The Chapters Live."

Want to hear the best progressive rock song from last year?  Pick up "Sagacity" and treat yourself to "Go With the Flow"

I did listen to that track....nice song...reminds me of both Styx and Kansas at times with a few other elements tossed in. My comment above was based on only hearing a few of their early albums many years ago.
What Saga album do you feel is the best of all of their work..?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 11:05
Saga for me, they have more albums that I hit play on. Nektar is excellent but some of their albums are pretty weak, the direction is way off base.
Saga's albums all have something I can connect to.

-------------

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 11:49
Nektar because of A tab in the Ocean, Recycled, Remember the Future & Down to Earth. 

While they are not in my top division of prog with the likes of Yes, Genesis & Tull etc they are near the top of the second division.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 12:51
Not of a fan of either, really, but I would choose Nektar any day (at least for A Tab in the Ocean, a sort of half-ass Pink Floyd without subtlety) over the commercial blandities of Saga, which never struck me as being anything more than AOR crap.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 13:22
Nektar

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 30 2015 at 13:28
How can Saga, which blew, be compared to Nektar, that ruled?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 16:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Saga for me, they have more albums that I hit play on. Nektar is excellent but some of their albums are pretty weak, the direction is way off base.
Saga's albums all have something I can connect to.

Like being from Canada, ay?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 02 2015 at 20:42
Nektar by a country mile.

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 10:15
The last time I ever saw anything about Saga was way back when MTV actually still played music videos. They showed that one lone Saga video with lyrics about something being "on the loose." The group immediately came off so desperately as a Rush wannabe. So to Icarium, do tell. You must have some appreciation for the group to bring them up in this poll. Please inform me then of the go-to Saga album that spells out some semblance of prog efficacy.

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 10:53
try Saga Chapter Live

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 13:01
Saga have never sounded anything like Rush!! They have their own distinct sound with a instantly recognizeable vocalist in Michael Sadler. His voice is still great, unlike Geddy Lee's.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 13:02
I can't recall anything by Nektar. None of it ever appealed to me.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 14:14
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Saga have never sounded anything like Rush!! They have their own distinct sound with a instantly recognizeable vocalist in Michael Sadler. His voice is still great, unlike Geddy Lee's.

Never said they sounded like Rush. Only that they were wannabes. And they're distinct, alright. Distinctly foul from what I've seen. Asked the other fellow for a recommendation of an album that would be worth listening to and got what appeared to be a live one. Maybe you can suggest a studio album that would wow me, professor.

-------------

Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 14:23
im barely a bachelor degree,far from professor by any stretch,

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 16:08
I don't really know Saga. I recall they had something that got some radio play long long ago. I never got any indication from it that they were Prog. I'd like to vote for Nektar, but I'll refrain from voting since I'm in the dark about the other choice.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 16:25
Yes The Chapters Live is very good, of course Worlds Apart is excellent and Behaviour is pretty good. 10,000 Days and 20/20 are also nice......

-------------

Posted By: wilmon91
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Never said they sounded like Rush. Only that they were wannabes.

My view have been for a very long time that Saga is a band that people doesn't seem to understand, or they subconsciously apply their own made up understanding to replace their confusion. And you demonstrate it by saying wannabees . That's the last thing they are. The only wannabee-ism would be that they've tried to sound too much like themselves in the last 15 years. If you are one of the most original bands in pop/rock history, you can't be a wannabee. They were deliberately trying not to sound like anybody else, so when writing new music they discarded any chord sequence that resembled something else, even if it was just two chords.

Here in a clip from 1983 they talk about their original ambitions (what they say here is completely true):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HUTV5hZNI&t=22m46s" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HUTV5hZNI&t=22m46s

(Maybe you can recommend me some other wannabee (super original) bands?)

Sometimes I have thought that Saga could have been misunderstood even by some of their own fans, when you look at what music they listen to alongside Saga. If I listen to power rock or power metal bands, I don't get anything resembling what I get from listening to Saga. It is not a genre-band.
It took many years for me to start understanding the elements that make up their music and identifying bits of influences and principles behind it. It's phenomenal.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 18:02
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The last time I ever saw anything about Saga was way back when MTV actually still played music videos. They showed that one lone Saga video with lyrics about something being "on the loose." The group immediately came off so desperately as a Rush wannabe. So to Icarium, do tell. You must have some appreciation for the group to bring them up in this poll. Please inform me then of the go-to Saga album that spells out some semblance of prog efficacy.

Saga were influenced by Yes, Styx and Gentle Giant, among others. Check out the album Silent Knight, their third, from 1980. It's brimming with engaging songs, wonderful melodies and lush Moog sounds.

As a fan of both Rush and Saga, for many years, I'm not sure how you arrived at "Rush wannabes" by seeing the video for "On The Loose." Wink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 04 2015 at 22:57
not a big fan of either.  Both have done good stuff though.  The difference for me is that Nektar produced a near masterpiece, that being "Remember the Future".  Saga didn't come close to that

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: June 06 2015 at 00:03
What's the difference between Both and Neither?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk