URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96107
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 06:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Vinyl
Posted By: Chris S
Subject: Vinyl
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 16:51
Refreshing.......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11164786" rel="nofollow - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11164786

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Replies:
Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 17:19
This is old news

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 17:37
Old news with an up to date news report. Get out of your bedroom, it's making you grumpyStern Smile

-------------

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 19:21
In my world, vinyl never left.......

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 29 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

In my world, vinyl never left.......

+1.....we must live in the same world

Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2013 at 00:56
^ You bet !!
.....and I only buy CD's if they're something really special (like Emehntehtt Re, Felicite Thosz etc.)
Vinyl all the way.

Posted By: frippism
Date Posted: November 30 2013 at 02:08
I just bought a turntable yesterday - partly just because of the sheer curiosity of seeing if my dad's records sound just even better than what I have on the computer today (lot's of Gong and Laurie Anderson have been playing here today, as well as Godspeed's latest which I bought because it looks awesome and is a great album). The answer in my opinion is that it really doesn't matter that much. I do on the other hand see vynil's advantage as a visual think- to be able to look and see and feel is definitely fun. 

-------------
There be dragons

Posted By: lazygecko
Date Posted: November 30 2013 at 05:53
The irony is that since vinyl has worse dynamic capabilities than digital audio, they cannot smash up the signal with compressors and limiters during the engraving to the format. Thus in today's loudness war vinyl releases usually end up sounding better and more dynamic than their digital counterparts, in spite of the medium not having any real inherent advantages.

Date Posted: November 30 2013 at 07:34
1/3rd just doesn't cut it, aesthetically. Whilst modern releases are highly selective titles and strictly limited, I am well aware that it means I miss out (by choice) on many, reputedly, amazing titles, but I have grown to be excited over LP's rather than CD's. Having said that ; I do simply drool over prog music, and I'm highly content with what is available as vinyl. If a title is only available as a CD (and I know it's a killer album) well then I bite the bullet and get it. In the end, I guess I spend less of my hard-earned......

Date Posted: November 30 2013 at 21:19
I, like Ozric, will buy vinyl waaaaaaaay before I think about a CD purchase. The CD comes out first usually, as long as I know the vinyl will follow I can wait, especially for prog releases.
I like the fact that more titles are being released on vinyl...my local used record store owner has a list from me of titles to buy if he sees them at auctions, estate sales or where ever he goes to buy blocks of LP's. I scratch his back and he mine....I also like for example, Haken's new one being released on vinyl.....I mean a band like Haken I would never think they would issue vinyl....but I am so glad they did, the finished product is brilliant!

@ lazygecko...I simply have ZERO desire to discuss the analog/digital debate..or even discuss it on this thread. The thread title says more than enough "Vinyl".

@ frippism......welcome to the darkside!

Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: lazygecko
Date Posted: December 01 2013 at 07:20
Sorry if you took offense, but that was something brought up in the article. And I was still talking specifically about vinyl, not magnetic tape or whatever. I totally get all the other reasons for why vinyl is popular: the physical product, the large artwork, being a less passive listening experience, etc. But when people start talking about sound quality I think it often gets confusing and leads to misunderstandings.
Terms like "richness" like mentioned in the article, or the more common "warmth", are pretty vague and can mean different things to different people, so I don't find them very useful. I just want to better understand why some people prefer vinyl music in terms of tangible audio quality. It's more about that than opening a can of worms on the larger analog/digital debate, so if you don't want to touch that subject with a ten foot pole then feel free to just ignore what I'm saying.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 01 2013 at 11:42
Haven't bought any new vinyl in almost 25 years, but I did buy some used vinyl that people dumped back then since some of it is collectable...mostly prog and obscure things.
Only buy cd's these days but I still pull out some vinyl and play it now and then for those I don't have on cd.
We have had numerous discussions here about sound quality so I'm not going there  since it's completely subjective.

Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: December 01 2013 at 12:18
Originally posted by lazygecko lazygecko wrote:

Sorry if you took offense, but that was something brought up in the article. And I was still talking specifically about vinyl, not magnetic tape or whatever. I totally get all the other reasons for why vinyl is popular: the physical product, the large artwork, being a less passive listening experience, etc. But when people start talking about sound quality I think it often gets confusing and leads to misunderstandings.
Terms like "richness" like mentioned in the article, or the more common "warmth", are pretty vague and can mean different things to different people, so I don't find them very useful. I just want to better understand why some people prefer vinyl music in terms of tangible audio quality. It's more about that than opening a can of worms on the larger analog/digital debate, so if you don't want to touch that subject with a ten foot pole then feel free to just ignore what I'm saying.

No offense taken....sorry if I came off rough Big smile. All sound quality is subjective, regardless of format or media used....There are toooooo many variables to make a definitive arguement one way or the other or to set a baseline.

I have said before, its just like the basis of this website, 100% subjective, there are many reasons why people like a certain artist and why they do not.....We all hear different things and the debate will go on forever.

As I am sure you know there are tons of audio specific websites that discuss the topic, this site is not the place. Its a lot of good reading and you learn a lot regardless of your own opinion.

BTW....welcome to PA!

-------------

Date Posted: December 01 2013 at 12:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Haven't bought any new vinyl in almost 25 years, but I did buy some used vinyl that people dumped back then since some of it is collectable...mostly prog and obscure things.
Only buy cd's these days but I still pull out some vinyl and play it now and then for those I don't have on cd.
We have had numerous discussions here about sound quality so I'm not going there  since it's completely subjective.

Smile

That sounds like fun!!!

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 01 2013 at 13:23
Originally posted by lazygecko lazygecko wrote:

It's all down to taste. Vinyl does have a poorer performance, that is categorically undeniable, technically provable and subjectively demonstrable, yet people prefer it. People have grown tired from arguing with me on this point, but I'll not change my tune - and I like the sound of vinyl, I buy vinyl occasionally (the last was Kveikur by Sigur Rós), but I'm also an electronics engineer who has been interested in audio design for the past 40 years. The warmth is distortion, another word for it is "tone" - there are other more prosaic words for it but the bottom line is vinyl distorts the audio signal, but in a good way - the warmth is an increase in low-end harmonics - being harmonics they are harmonious with the original signal - they sound good, they add low end resonance to the music and that gives it its warm, sonorous tone. We know what makes audio sound good, it's not magic.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 01 2013 at 21:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Smile

That sounds like fun!!!
Well ....in the very early days when cd's came out lots of people sold their used vinyl to various record stores and one could get some nice things cheap but the vinyl hounds soon snapped up all the good stuff. Now it's very very hard to find any obscure prog things at any record store ( at a decent price anyway...) assuming you can even find a decent record store.
Unhappy

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 01 2013 at 22:26
Well I think it is hard to find any good stuff used nowadays.....People with the collections I think are holding on to them rather than drop them off at a Goodwill store as a donation tax write off or get $0.50ea at a used record store. There is value in those collections now.

My local used record store guy has a list from me of stuff to buy if he sees it at an auction or estate sales/auctions. He recently came into about 100 7" reel to reel tapes pre-recorded albums from an estate sale.....He paid $100 for them all and sold about half already at $8-$12 each.....There were some rock albums in there he has gotten $15-20. He is even getting requests to find cassette tapes, what used to sell at GW for $0.25 are now going for $3-5 and more.

Its insane at what is going on with vintage used media right now......Hold on to your old stuff if you have it. 

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 00:28
What do they do in the vinyl versions of the many recent albums which last 70 or 80 minutes? does new vinyl have longer playing duration that the typical 55 or so minutes? do they have to release them as double LPs? or do they ommit tracks? 

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 00:44
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

What do they do in the vinyl versions of the many recent albums which last 70 or 80 minutes? does new vinyl have longer playing duration that the typical 55 or so minutes? do they have to release them as double LPs? or do they ommit tracks? 

Dbl LP issues. For example Porcupine Tree FoABP is a dbl LP and includes the Nil Recurring tracks. Marillion's Marbles is a dbl LP. All DT vinyl I have is 2-LP issues.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 04:37

What do they do in the vinyl versions of the many recent albums which last 70 or 80 minutes? does new vinyl have longer playing duration that the typical 55 or so minutes? do they have to release them as double LPs? or do they ommit tracks?
Dbl LP issues. For example Porcupine Tree FoABP is a dbl LP and includes the Nil Recurring tracks. Marillion's Marbles is a dbl LP. All DT vinyl I have is 2-LP issues.
Thanks. Mmmm, I guess I'm a bit too spoiled by the digital media and I would feel lazy to get up every 20 min to flip the disc for all the music I listen. I still listen to some vinyl now and then (albums which I do not own in CD) but they are a very small minority of my overall listening.

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 04:51
Transatlantic = 3 LP sets - a dbl g/f (album proper) and single sleeve LP (bonus material) in beautiful slip-sleeves.
Yes' 'Magnification' LP is a dbl on purple vinyl occupying 3 of the 4 sides.
Prog on vinyl is awesome

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 08:16

Yup. Scenes of a memory is a double LP as well. I guess anything over the 50min mark you have to do this? Really haven't looked into it, but I shall. :)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 08:19

Transatlantic = 3 LP sets - a dbl g/f (album proper) and single sleeve LP (bonus material) in beautiful slip-sleeves.
Prog on vinyl is awesome

That does sound great. Great asthetics like quality artwork and packaging can go a long way and it is definitely a part of the music listening experience....at least for me. ;)
Glad to hear your happy, Tom.
Prog on. :)

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 09:01
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Yup. Scenes of a memory is a double LP as well. I guess anything over the 50min mark you have to do this? Really haven't looked into it, but I shall. :)
To get longer playing times on a side of vinyl they have to make the grooves narrower so they can be packed closer together. There are three ways of doing this, the first is simply to reduced the peak volume level recorded onto the platter, which means the playback will be very quiet and that affects the signal to noise ratio because the noise remains the same but the signal is now reduced - basically you'll hear the surface noise a lot more if they did that. The second way is to apply a lot of compression to the recording to boost the quiet bits so they are not affected by the noise so much, you still get a  quieter playback but at least the noise isn't so bad - but over-compression is over-compression no matter what the recording medium is. The third way is to use combination of filters and EQ to reduce the percussive and other spiky sounds in the recording that result in big excursions in the grooves. In practice mastering engineers use a combination of all three to squeeze more time out of a 12" platter, as a result they sound awful:

It may have lasted a hour, but the compression was so bad it sounded truly dreadful.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 09:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

To get longer playing times on a side of vinyl they have to make the grooves narrower so they can be packed closer together. There are three ways of doing this, the first is simply to reduced the peak volume level recorded onto the platter, which means the playback will be very quiet and that affects the signal to noise ratio because the noise remains the same but the signal is now reduced - basically you'll hear the surface noise a lot more if they did that. The second way is to apply a lot of compression to the recording to boost the quiet bits so they are not affected by the noise so much, you still get a  quieter playback but at least the noise isn't so bad - but over-compression is over-compression no matter what the recording medium is. The third way is to use combination of filters and EQ to reduce the percussive and other spiky sounds in the recording that result in big excursions in the grooves. In practice mastering engineers use a combination of all three to squeeze more time out of a 12" platter, as a result they sound awful:
It may have lasted a hour, but the compression was so bad it sounded truly dreadful.

Of course. All be it its about The compression rate. Oh I see. Many thanks, Mr. Cracknell. Much appreciated. Now I don't have to look it up. What you said seems logical.

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 19:59

Prog on vinyl is awesome

You are so right!! The new Transatlantic will also be a 3-LP set and I think on green vinyl. LTE II is a very cool blue/green splatter pattern.
Marillion Radiation 2013 is a nice deep blue, with the 4th side an etching pattern...made to look like a radiation sign Nuke

All dbl gatefold with liner notes on the sleeves...super cool.

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:03
^ Oh man - I don't have Radiation yet, nor the LTE II (their 1st is nice with the 1 mauve/1 green dbl LP. I usually wait for a list from Greg at Syn-Phonic, and then make my choice. He doesn't get every Prog vinyl though. He never got the Flying Colors in either. Or Diagonal's sophomore release.

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:07

Prog on vinyl is awesome

You are so right!! The new Transatlantic will also be a 3-LP set and I think on green vinyl. LTE II is a very cool blue/green splatter pattern.
Marillion Radiation 2013 is a nice deep blue, with the 4th side an etching pattern...made to look like a radiation sign Nuke

All dbl gatefold with liner notes on the sleeves...super cool.
You know, at the end of the day, it's really difficult to describe to the 'masses' of the love of vinyl LP's. CD's just seem so........cheap. I dunno. I grew up with vinyl and I wasn't going to stop with the advent of CD's which came in big-time in the early 90's (rare before then). As I said, vinyl all the way.

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:16
I have been looking for LTE I, no luck Cry.......Did Flying Colors come out on vinyl?? How did I miss that...Last night (I think) I posted LTE II on "What Are You Listening...", so you can see the splatter vinyl.

Talking about Marillion.....the new remix of Brave from last year on vinyl is a remake of the original, with the dbl groove ending and all. And OMG the sound is brilliant, they really did a fantastic job on the remix. The sleeves are plain, the gatefold has all the lyrics.....sweet package.

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:34
Are you familiar with 'Syn Phonic' ?? I think he (Greg) still has LTE available. Just type in syn phonic and you will get to his catalogs. I have seen sellers on E-Bay with Flying Colors available on vinyl.

Date Posted: December 02 2013 at 23:44
^ I have looked in the past, will again. Someone else told me about him once.....Friday I ordered Riverside~New Generation and the new Flower Kings on vinyl. Black Friday specials both for $12ea shipped......wayyy too cheap.

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2013 at 17:23
The new Riverside album is very nicely done, and side 4 contains 2 lengthy pieces - 'Night Session' (1 and 2). Fully instrumental, and a bit different from the album itself, though with same instrumentation and sound etc. Loooove the Wurlitzer e-piano sound he's got (real or sampled ??). Great band, every album is superb (and I'm not usually into all the fancy 'metal' sounding bands, just very selective).

Date Posted: December 03 2013 at 17:31
I also want to get the other Riverside vinyl.....so much on my "to get" list!!

Cheers Tom!

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 16:16
Does anyone remember Todd Rundgren crammed 68+ minutes onto a single LP ?? It doesn't have a bad sound to be honest, probably lacking in depth but still an enjoyable album.
Oh, that's 'Initiation', btw.

Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:22

Does anyone remember Todd Rundgren crammed 68+ minutes onto a single LP ?? It doesn't have a bad sound to be honest, probably lacking in depth but still an enjoyable album.
Oh, that's 'Initiation', btw.

I am not a Rundgren listener..but might get this album just to hear the results, if I can find it at the record store.

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:31
^ I don't think this one's too difficult to get a hold of, just make sure it's in excellent condition, coz something like a millimetre scratch could click for ages

Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 19:50
10-4....will look. The cartridge I use is pretty darn good at tracking bad vinyl. There is some old vinyl that used to skip in spots when I was a teenager played on a Dual table with a Shure cartridge....Those same records don't skip now, occasionally I hear a "tick" but nothing that disturbs the listening pleasure....or maybe the scratch just went away!! LOL

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 20:31
I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 20:58
^ Oh, ye Monty Python addict !!

Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 21:04

10-4....will look. The cartridge I use is pretty darn good at tracking bad vinyl. There is some old vinyl that used to skip in spots when I was a teenager played on a Dual table with a Shure cartridge....Those same records don't skip now, occasionally I hear a "tick" but nothing that disturbs the listening pleasure....or maybe the scratch just went away!! LOL
Funny you mention that - I've experienced this by just replacing the stylus. My TT is not high-end, a bit basic, but it's pretty darn good. I find that mostly it's the occasional Picture Disc (or vinyl Bootleg ) that has an odd skip. These are usually rare and hard to come by so I just accept it    .

Date Posted: December 05 2013 at 21:53
Just put on Supertramp~Crime of the Century........one of the best sounding albums, next to Steely Dan~Aja. Both are fantastic sounding, as well as great albums.

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 04:45
^ Thanks to Ken Scott - he also worked with 'Happy The Man' - great work right there
Oh, never could get into SD....

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 09:06
Aja is my favorite SD album...jazzy, poppy, soulful...just has a bit of everything. For an album that people originally thought would not do well..surprise! Not only is it a fantastic sounding vinyl, its a great album.
I have no need to get one of the MOFI or other versions....I like the original.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 11:47

It's not my fault, my hovercraft is full of eels. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 13:29
I have recently bought a number of 180g vinyls: Ever (which plays at 45 rpm!), The Masquerade Overture, Seasons End, The Lamb Lies Down, Dark Matter, Moonmadness, The Snow Goose and Tales From The Lush Attic amongst them.

Vinyl is always my favourite medium; I prefer the sound. But you need a good deck, arm and cartridge to really appreciate them.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 14:24
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

It's not my fault, my hovercraft is full of eels. Tongue
Better get me a bucket, I gonna throw up

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 14:28

Aja is my favorite SD album...jazzy, poppy, soulful...just has a bit of everything. For an album that people originally thought would not do well..surprise! Not only is it a fantastic sounding vinyl, its a great album.

I once watched a documentary on the making of this album (I think a 'Classic Albums' series of some sort) - it was interesting to know Wayne Shorter (Weather Report) played some sax. It didn't 'grab' me though.

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I have recently bought a number of 180g vinyls: Ever (which plays at 45 rpm!), The Masquerade Overture, Seasons End, The Lamb Lies Down, Dark Matter, Moonmadness, The Snow Goose and Tales From The Lush Attic amongst them.

Vinyl is always my favourite medium; I prefer the sound. But you need a good deck, arm and cartridge to really appreciate them.

I have to say the CD version of Seasons End is pretty damn good, not bright or fatiguing to listen to. So that keeps me from getting the vinyl version, but I do want it......I just need to pull the trigger.
On the Camel albums are those the ones remixed by Steven Wilson?

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 17:17

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I have to say the CD version of Seasons End is pretty damn good, not bright or fatiguing to listen to. So that keeps me from getting the vinyl version, but I do want it......I just need to pull the trigger.
On the Camel albums are those the ones remixed by Steven Wilson?
I've the original vinyl pressing of Seasons End from 1989, I never heard it on CD and haven't heard the 180g pressing to see if it makes any difference (doubt it to be honest, it's not like the original was on Dynaflex or anything as poor as that). What I do have is all three singles from that album on 12" 45s and they are excellent.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 19:40

I once watched a documentary on the making of this album (I think a 'Classic Albums' series of some sort) - it was interesting to know Wayne Shorter (Weather Report) played some sax. It didn't 'grab' me though.

I would not mind watching that...will have to look for it. Thanks for the tip!

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 20:00

^ Thanks to Ken Scott - he also worked with 'Happy The Man' - great work right there
Oh, never could get into SD....
Try this.....my namesake song...Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 06 2013 at 22:00
^ Well, are you crazy or are you high ??
I could tolerate the song, but still, I dunno, too 'straight'. Just doesn't excite me at all. Thanks.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 01:48
I have an incredible pressing of I Robot by APP and listened to it again the other day on my affordable Denon turntable....Man, what soundSmile

Aja on vinyl, now your talking!

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 06:43

^ Well, are you crazy or are you high ??
I could tolerate the song, but still, I dunno, too 'straight'. Just doesn't excite me at all. Thanks.
Well....I guess their music is straighter than most prog but imo the lyrics  are better than most prog lyrics.
But they don't pretend to be prog and that's ok with me since I like a great deal of non prog music.

Crazy or high...? I 'll let others make that call.
Big smile
Oh....and so we stay on topic, I have all of their albums on vinyl but I usually listen to the cd's.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 13:27
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I have an incredible pressing of I Robot by APP and listened to it again the other day on my affordable Denon turntable....Man, what soundSmile

I never had a copy of this album by APP......I have a CD. What is the catalog number on your copy?

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 20:29

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I never had a copy of this album by APP......I have a CD. What is the catalog number on your copy?
Arista AL 7002 on spine  and this on the vinyl  AL 7002 (AL 7002SB) p 1977 Arista Records inc.

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 23:52
^ Excellent thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 22:07
Just got in the mail today:

Riverside~Shrine of New Generation Slaves 2-LP
The Flower Kings~Desolation Rose 2-LP/2-CD

Should get to spin them later this week....looking forward to a night of vinyl bliss!

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2013 at 17:11
LP's come in sleeves with many different finishes - Laminated, Matte, Textured, Gloss, Varnished/Lacquered, Cloth/Leather etc. I was trawling through some of my records and noticed my Steeleye Span 'Parcel Of Rogues' and Tangerine Dream 'Rubycon' are both g/f sleeves which are laminated inside and out (70's pressings no doubt). I quite like that. I think the quality of sleeves has definitely improved over the last 20 years. Any thoughts ?

Date Posted: December 11 2013 at 17:54
The new Riverside album I just received is kind cardboard'ish, rough not slick finished, unlike the Flower Kings album like most has that laminated slick feel.

My Soft Machine IV has a textured orange peel finish. I think the CGI and simply the better printing options with laser and such has contributed to better graphics and better over all quality.

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2013 at 01:36
^ Soft Machine 4 - textured !! Nice, very nice. Mine is just in a standard finish (U.K. CBS yellow/orange label). Still sounds great - 'Teeth' is just plain insane !!

Date Posted: December 12 2013 at 10:20
You can see some of it here in my pic....its more noticeable on the back. Mine is US version Columbia Records red label #C30754

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2013 at 13:46
I can see your stylus is on 'Teeth'
Once upon a time (20-odd years ago), I never went for 'Fourth' - it sounded too 'clinical', difficult and overly complex - now I just indulge in it. 'Teeth' is definitely one of the band's best pieces.
You know their next 'Fifth' album has 2 versions of the cover - one with a black '5' on a black background (making it hard to see) and one with a grey '5' on black. The black on black suits the music here. Which brings me to recall when I acquired this album - In a nutshell, this was the only SM LP I was missing for years (discounting some live things that have been released since) and one day at a record fair I just went up to a random stall which had a few crates ditched in the corner, held my breath, and wished for SM '5' - low and behold - there was a copy about half-way in !! This also happened when I came across the Dead's 'Anthem Of The Sun'.

Date Posted: December 12 2013 at 14:10
Ha! Good eyes......Everything starts with the Teeth. I have been searching for Third and Fifth, I have the record store owners on the look out. Right now all I find is Soft Machine, Bundles and a couple live albums on clear vinyl....they look like bootlegs, which is fine but the owner wants like $35 for them.
There are no record fairs here in Seattle, I have not seen any Cry....California has them all the time and big ones.

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 20:26
Ratledge is OUT-BLOODY-RAGEOUS when in full flight

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 00:53

Ratledge is OUT-BLOODY-RAGEOUS when in full flight

That would be correct.....

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 04:48
How can soloing for the length of time that he does, be humanly possible ?? (well, he did it, so it is, but you know what I'm getting at...). Some of these Canterbury keyboardists whip the 'giants'......

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 16:47
Its Canterbury magic dust that helps them!!

-------------

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: December 15 2013 at 05:28
Speaking of The Soft Machine I am currently playing the debut album which I picked up about 1972 and believe to be quite rare now in this version. It is the G/F on Probe with moving circular inset. I also have a copy from the Netherlands with a completely different sleeve and I remember regularlyseeing a French version which was the most common in the UK.

Date Posted: December 15 2013 at 05:38
^ Excellent !! Looks in beautiful condition - definitely a collectors item - oh, great music too !!

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: December 15 2013 at 08:53
Vinyl belongs to my musical past: I bought about 150 discs of hard-rock in the 80's.

Date Posted: December 15 2013 at 13:47
.....Hmmm, there's that attractive green cover to 'Ride The Lightning'......(looks more 'Prog' in green )

Date Posted: December 15 2013 at 13:48
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Speaking of The Soft Machine I am currently playing the debut album which I picked up about 1972 and believe to be quite rare now in this version. It is the G/F on Probe with moving circular inset. I also have a copy from the Netherlands with a completely different sleeve and I remember regularlyseeing a French version which was the most common in the UK.

Nice copy.....this one I see as a re-issue in stores. Would like to find an original copy here in the US...

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2013 at 23:39
Highly recommended if you like Riverside......Excellent SQ, mix is fantastic.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2013 at 00:12
^ Waddya think of side 4 - 'Night Sessions' ?? Love that Wurlitzer E-Piano sound........

Date Posted: December 16 2013 at 01:10
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Vinyl belongs to my musical past: I bought about 150 discs of hard-rock in the 80's.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2013 at 13:11

^ Waddya think of side 4 - 'Night Sessions' ?? Love that Wurlitzer E-Piano sound........

I like part 2 best......The sax and yea that piano sound is really nice too.

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 15:56
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20131216-breaking-records-german-vinyl" rel="nofollow - These articles are becoming very popular to write. This is another area of growth......Big smile
I wish vinyl would die again so I could buy all that I want for cheap and listen in peace......LOL

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 00:52
^ Nice read there, Jose. Of course it's something we knew all along, wouldn't change it for the world.

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 02:40

.....Hmmm, there's that attractive green cover to 'Ride The Lightning'......(looks more 'Prog' in green )

The green cover of Ride The Lightning was an error of the french label Bernett Records. Wink

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 05:05
^ A nice 'error' - looks less commercial in green

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 09:13

The green cover of Ride The Lightning was an error of the french label Bernett Records. Wink

I think that error makes it worth millions of $$........Wink

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 09:20

I think that error makes it worth millions of $$........Wink

I think the fact that it is a wicked album makes it worth more than just money.
That's a really cool collectible. I wouldn't be able to find that here where I live.

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 12:22
I am sure in Heavens Metal it can be found.....

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 19:21
Some interesting titles http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/the-top-100-vinyl-releases-of-2013-20-1/" rel="nofollow - here......

Vinyl Factory is a cool site in general

-------------

Date Posted: December 19 2013 at 01:35

Some interesting titles http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/the-top-100-vinyl-releases-of-2013-20-1/" rel="nofollow - here......

What ?? No Prog ???

Date Posted: December 19 2013 at 03:17

[QUOTE=PhideauxFan]
[QUOTE=Tom Ozric].....Hmmm, there's that attractive green cover to 'Ride The Lightning'......(looks more 'Prog' in green Wink
Just looked on e-bay - 3 copies (1 is red vinyl !!) ranging from $77 - $145 U.S.D. - not cheap.
Also a pic-disc of the green version for $335 !!!!

Date Posted: December 19 2013 at 08:50

What ?? No Prog ???

Didn't you know? Prog has been dead for ages...just look on this site.

-------------

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 17:29

This along with the other InsideOut Music label issues I have bought recently are impeccably done. The mix is exceptional on all of them......I am really pleased at what they have been issuing on vinyl lately!!

Highly recommended

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 00:37
^ I am getting this Haken LP in my next batch of vinyl from Syn-Phonic !! Can't wait.......
Random thought : Death Magnetic is the best Metallica I've heard !! Nice as dbl LP too

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 00:54

^ I am getting this Haken LP in my next batch of vinyl from Syn-Phonic !! Can't wait.......
Random thought : Death Magnetic is the best Metallica I've heard !! Nice as dbl LP too

Hey great. Listen I quite enjoyed Haken's The Mountain. Also, the cover artwork is outstanding and will surely be a wonderful sight in vinyl pressing. Sometimes bigger is better.
Oh and Metallica's Death Magnetic is a thrashing ass kicker. Best album since their Black album of 1991.
I'm so curious as to when Metallica will try and anti up again. It's been almost 6 years since death magnetic.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 00:55

This along with the other InsideOut Music label issues I have bought recently are impeccably done. The mix is exceptional on all of them......I am really pleased at what they have been issuing on vinyl lately!!

Highly recommended

Look at art!!! All blown up beautifully. This is where vinyl can make CDs look silly. ;)

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 01:32
^ Don't know, but is that Everest ?? Looks friggin' FANTASTIC !!

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 01:39

Oh and Metallica's Death Magnetic is a thrashing ass kicker. Best album since their Black album of 1991.

Six years already ?!! I'd say the best since 'And Justice...' but I rarely re-visit early Metallica coz it, well, let's just say those earlier albums remind me of a very messed up period in my life......

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 02:04
Some other artists from the 80's. Smile

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 12:00

Highly recommended

Look at art!!! All blown up beautifully. This is where vinyl can make CDs look silly. ;)

The sleeves and inner gatefold are also nice art work.....Most never notice the bottom left, guy pushing the boulder up the mountain.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 12:02

Some other artists from the 80's. Smile

Some really good ones here!! I only have Quiet Riot-Metal Health on vinyl.......

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2013 at 18:57
You all have probably seen pics like this......but in the spirit of this thread thought I would post a few.....Our love of the groove, lives in these grooves!

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2013 at 18:43
^ Abso-f**king-lutely amazing photos there. Such an amazing soundscape within the technical 'landscape'.
....now, where are the close-ups of a CD surface - (probably as boring as the format ) - just a bunch of computer jargon does not look as cool as vinyl grooves........

Date Posted: December 29 2013 at 04:06
Beer

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk