Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96235
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 09:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Sci Fi/Fantasy Author
Posted By: BrufordFreak
Subject: Favorite Sci Fi/Fantasy Author
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 10:03
Some of my favorite Sci Fi/Fantasy writers. 

Who are yours?

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Replies:
Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 11:28
All excellent writers.....of those on your list went with PK Dick because I read almost all of his over the years but I have read something from all of them. (And I once received a letter from him.)
Almost chose other and named 'Iain Banks', who passed away recently. His 'Culture' series is as good as any straight up sci-fi I have ever read by the older big names like Asimov, Clarke , etc.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 11:38
Douglas Adams Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 12:36
My three favorites are Philip Dick, Ray Bradbury, and Greg Bear.

-------------

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 13:04
Thanks, guys! 

Greg Bear I've heard of but never tried. Douglas Adams I've always kind of resisted, I can't tell you why, but maybe I'll try him now. And Iain Banks is a name I have never heard before. He I will definitely try!

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 13:07
Btw:  My favorite from this list of wonderful writer/story tellers is Dan Simmons. His book, Hyperion, is one of the best things I've ever read! 

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 14:01
None of the guys on here! For me H.P. Lovecraft (not for his writing but his imagination) and Robin Hobb (she's just all round tremendous). If I had to pick someone off the list though it would be George R R Martin, Storm of Swords was pretty damn good.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 17:00
Voted other. My faves are Michael Moorcock, Iain M Banks & Peter F Hamilton.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 17:23
Voted `Other', went for Terry Goodkind and the `Sword of Truth' series, very special to me, I always buy them in hardcover - look wonderful on the shelf!

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 20:34
Haven't been reading much, but I used to read a lot of really cheesy fantasy. As far as decent authors go, though, I'd recommend Timothy Findley. He would write fantasy books based on real life events. Pilgrim is quite good, though maybe a bit slow paced.

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 22:11
Jules Verne isn't on the list? Come on man, really?

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: December 08 2013 at 22:29
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Jules Verne isn't on the list? Come on man, really?
He's listed under other.  Wink
But I think he was keeping it to 20th century writers from the look of it.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 12:27
big fan of Roger Zelazny for the excellent Amber series.
also Frank Herbert for Dune, and GRRM for Song of Ice and Fire

I was trying to explain like I like Zelazny's stories so much, which is very similar to why I like the Myst story so much, but wikipedia did it better than me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Zelazny#cite_note-9" rel="nofollow -

"Many of Zelazny's works explore variations upon the idea that if there exists an infinite number of worlds, then every world that can be imagined must exist, somewhere. Powerful beings in many of his stories have the ability to travel to worlds that possess precisely the characteristics which that being wishes to experience. Many of these same characters wonder whether they are creating these special places anew, or are merely finding places which already exist"

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 12:41
From the list Dick and Herbert. Voted "other" - Iain M Banks and/or John T Sladek.

the realm of SF is so vast there can be no definitive list, though this one does seem to be a little americentric with omissions. Personally I'd have chosen Vonnegut, Asimov, Clarke, Wells, Verne, etc. over Rowling if only for the reason that she's not a SF author.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 17:33
Jack Vance for me
The Alastor Trilogy, Circus Boat and the Eyes Of The Overworld are excellent, to name but a few.

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 22:01
Terry Pratchett is also worth a mention.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 23:24
Much to chose from!  I gave my vote to Frank Herbert, for his visionary and very dark "Dune" series.  Others that I am partial to include Harlan Ellison, Poul Anderson, Larry Niven for his "Ringworld" works etc.  

And A.E. van Vogt for his brilliant "The Weapons Shops of Isher"!  

Thanks, great thread! 

Date Posted: December 09 2013 at 23:40
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Terry Pratchett is also worth a mention.

Vimes Heart

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 09:08
Frank Herbert. The Dune series remains my favourite of all time...pure genius.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 09:35
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

From the list Dick and Herbert. Voted "other" - Iain M Banks and/or John T Sladek.

the realm of SF is so vast there can be no definitive list, though this one does seem to be a little americentric with omissions. Personally I'd have chosen Vonnegut, Asimov, Clarke, Wells, Verne, etc. over Rowling if only for the reason that she's not a SF author.

Never heard of Sladek!

This list is by no means intended to indicate "Best" or "best ever" just a list of writers that I've really enjoyed. I am actually quite inexperienced in this domain. And, yes, this list never intended to include fiction pre-dating WWII. Also, this thread includes "fantasy" as well as sci fi, thus the presence of Martin and Rowling.

I am not drawn much into fiction anymore, and when I was it was mostly psychological drama like that of Dostoevsky or Salinger. Pratchett, Adams, and Vonnegut could never keep me interested. The worlds and writing of Dan Simmons is the only one of recent years to really draw me in and keep me interested.

Thanks again, Pogsters, for the suggestions! I'm ready for some new adventures!

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 14:25
I am a serious Dickhead.  Philip K. Dick may bemy favourite author overall. I love his books, and still have some novels yet to read, as well as short stories.  I think my favourites of his are The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Dr, Bloodmoney,  and Ubik.  My second favourite on the list is Robert Heinlein -- particularly love Stranger in a Strange Land.  Have also loved lots of Vradbury and Asimov.  Two of my absolute faves are not on the list, Kurt Vonnegut and Stanislaw Lem.

Generally I like dystopian speculative fiction the most (The Road is terrific).  My favourite novel that I've read over the last year was Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (deals with cloning).  Biggest disappointment was the third part of Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake trilogy that was released earlier this year.

Off-topic, but my favourite dystopian film that I've seen over the last few years was called The Bothersome Man (Norway).

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: December 10 2013 at 15:12
Oh, another http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96233&PID=4904161#4904161" rel="nofollow - thread about it Embarrassed. Voted other.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 11 2013 at 09:12
I think my username points to who i like the most in fantasy.

also like Steven Eriksson

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: December 11 2013 at 09:18
I like Kevin J. Anderson for his prog connections.  I have read the first couple of books of his Saga of the Seven Suns series and plan on continuing with them.  I also have read his X-Wing series from the Star Wars family.  I am also in the process of reading his Terra Incognita series with its tie in to the accompanying prog CDs from the Roswell Six project.

-------------

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 03:53
Frank Herbert

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 04:02
Frank Herbert.....the dark Dune series up to Chaptor House ( 6th Book)......why, oh why the film industry steer clear of this great classic, dumbfounds me. And we will disregard the horrendous Kyle McClachlan/Sting thingamabob low budget release . That was an insult to the books and cinematography......Rotten Tomatoes! Would love to see a modern four or six part film, up to God Emperor. The books were sheer genius just for the passages of princess Irulam, Bene Gesserit etc at the beginning of each chapter......in the zoneApprove Peter Jackson stay away from this!!!

I also like Ursula Le Guinn especially for Earthsea Trilogy.....almost prescient and apt for modern day culture and decline/decay. Great analogy and interpretation of the Big Sleep.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Frank Herbert.....the dark Dune series up to Chaptor House ( 6th Book)......why, oh why the film industry steer clear of this great classic, dumbfounds me. And we will disregard the horrendous Kyle McClachlan/Sting thingamabob low budget release . That was an insult to the books and cinematography......Rotten Tomatoes! Would love to see a modern four or six part film, up to God Emperor. The books were sheer genius just for the passages of princess Irulam, Bene Gesserit etc at the beginning of each chapter......in the zoneApprove Peter Jackson stay away from this!!!

I also like Ursula Le Guinn especially for Earthsea Trilogy.....almost prescient and apt for modern day culture and decline/decay. Great analogy and interpretation of the Big Sleep.
You might like this version...imho it was pretty faithful to the novel and well acted.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/
Dune (2000) Poster

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 01:11
^ hmm..not a bad cast, will keep a lookout, thanks. Still think it deserves a James Cameron type Director with a huge budget Smile

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: ShipOfFools
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 08:35
Ray Bradbury for me, definitely.

-------------

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 09:22
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ hmm..not a bad cast, will keep a lookout, thanks. Still think it deserves a James Cameron type Director with a huge budget Smile
I thought it was pretty good for a tv mini series.
I'm not  fan of Cameron's work...didn't care for Avatar....thought the story and  the acting  was mediocre but the film ''looked good''.
I'd rather see JJ Abrams or Peter Jackson do a version.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 09:27
I haven't read it yet, but I recently bought a book titled Hellhole that was co-written by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert, who is the son of Frank Herbert.  It is supposed to be the first of a trilogy.

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:13
Tough choice between Herbert, Heinlein , and Brabury. Brabury's the best pure writer. Herbert wrote the best single work of the three. Heinlein just fuses hard science, story telling, and cheesy sci-fi cliche too well so I"ll go with him. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 11:48
Arthur C. Clarke

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: January 06 2014 at 07:24
From the list Asimov with Herbert a close 2nd.
Quite like Silverberg,Mieville and Ballard also.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: January 06 2014 at 18:15
Absolutely no mention of Tolkien in this thread? Confused

EDIT: I suppose his presence has not always been a positive influence on progressive rock...

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: January 07 2014 at 07:00
Phillip K Dick for man in the high castle and Do androids dream of electric sheep, A Scanner Darkly, and Ubik

also inspired Total Recall with We can remember it for you wholesale, and inspired Minority Report

have to mention Arthur C Clarke too - 2001 saga

Terrance Dicks is great too - Dr Who novels are great

-------------

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: January 07 2014 at 08:14
Harlan Ellison (who hears this and storms out of the forum), Greg Bear, David Brin

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: January 07 2014 at 08:43
http://myanimelist.net/people/6044/Yoshiki_Tanaka" rel="nofollow - Tanaka Yoshiki  for the Legend of The Galactic Heroes

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 13:00
Hi,
I didn't learn English fast enough to read many of these, but in school I did have to read Bradbury and had no idea what it was about after only 2 years of English.

Later, after Pink Floyd and all that, I read some Arthur C. Clarke and I enjoyed his stuff, despite me having to read slowly to try and understand things.

Some science fiction is not quite handled well, and sometimes has different turns. Kurt Vonnegut was a lot of fun to read, and it didn't require "understanding", which helped the no English person like me. Later I tried reading Michael Moorcock because of his connection to Hawkwind, and got nowhere. So many books, and I could never get past page 25!

And then my roomate gave me one book. AND I GROK'D THAT ONE REAL GOOD!

No favorites.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 13:10
Odd that you omitted Tolkien or T.H. White. No vote here.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Prog 74
Date Posted: March 21 2014 at 15:58
George R.R. Martin get my vote, though I also like Brandon Sanderson and Jim Butcher. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 03:00
Other: Harlan Ellison — and from the list: PKD.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: May 01 2014 at 03:20
Johnathan Stroud - ""the Bartimaeus Trilogy" very funny read and good story, Bartimaeus vracks you up.

Phillip Pullman - "His Dark Materials" very touching and gripping.

-------------

Posted By: October
Date Posted: May 21 2014 at 20:37
Bradbury by far.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: June 16 2014 at 18:06
Asimov, followed closely by Arthur C. Clarke (ummmm, why is he not on this list) and Stephen Baxter.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: June 17 2014 at 06:33
I voted other. As far as scarcely credible depictions of other worldly strangeness and far fetched alien landscapes hitherto untrodden by Beatle boot, it's gotta be Moshkito.Confused

-------------

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: June 17 2014 at 11:59
Of these, Heinlein but mostly for nostaligic reasons (Bradbury was a a more visually inspiring writer).  Also, Arthur C. Clarke has been mentioned several times in this thread and really should be on the list.

Would Vonnegut count?  If so I would vote for him.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 17 2014 at 12:21
Although there are too many to mention, some of the best are listed here. I'm very partially to Dan Simmons after reading the extraordinary Hyperion Cantos series. Love your Shrike icon, Brufordfreak Wink

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: June 24 2014 at 15:32
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

big fan of Roger Zelazny for the excellent Amber series.also Frank Herbert for Dune, and GRRM for Song of Ice and FireI was trying to explain like I like Zelazny's stories so much, which is very similar to why I like the Myst story so much, but wikipedia did it better than me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Zelazny#cite_note-9" rel="nofollow - <span></span>

"Many of Zelazny's works explore variations upon the idea that if
there exists an infinite number of worlds, then every world that can be
imagined must exist, somewhere. Powerful beings in many of his stories
have the ability to travel to worlds that possess precisely the
characteristics which that being wishes to experience. Many of
these same characters wonder whether they are creating these special
places anew, or are merely finding places which already exist"

Zelazny. The Amber series is based upon a true story.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: June 29 2014 at 13:16
Other, H. G. Wells or Jules Verne.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: June 29 2014 at 13:35
From the list: Asimov or Dick. Voted other: Karel Capek.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Date Posted: June 29 2014 at 13:56
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

big fan of Roger Zelazny for the excellent Amber series.also Frank Herbert for Dune, and GRRM for Song of Ice and FireI was trying to explain like I like Zelazny's stories so much, which is very similar to why I like the Myst story so much, but wikipedia did it better than me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Zelazny#cite_note-9" rel="nofollow - <span></span>

"Many of Zelazny's works explore variations upon the idea that if
there exists an infinite number of worlds, then every world that can be
imagined must exist, somewhere. Powerful beings in many of his stories
have the ability to travel to worlds that possess precisely the
characteristics which that being wishes to experience. Many of
these same characters wonder whether they are creating these special
places anew, or are merely finding places which already exist"

Zelazny. The Amber series is based upon a true story.
The Amber series is my all time favorite fantasy series.

Exactly how is it based on a 'true story'..?
Confused

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: June 29 2014 at 17:54
Any Raymond E Feist fans here?

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: June 29 2014 at 19:26
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

The only one I  have read was Faerie Tale many years ago.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faerie_Tale
what do you recommend?

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: June 30 2014 at 06:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The only one I  have read was Faerie Tale many years ago.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faerie_Tale
what do you recommend?

I was actually fishing for recommendations myself as I'd like to start reading his work! Trouble is, he's done so much that it's difficult to figure out where to start. How was Faerie Tale for you?

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Date Posted: June 30 2014 at 10:15

what do you recommend?

I was actually fishing for recommendations myself as I'd like to start reading his work! Trouble is, he's done so much that it's difficult to figure out where to start. How was Faerie Tale for you?
It was a decent 'modern horror' story.
The Wiki link seemed to indicate that his Riftwar series is his most popular work.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: July 01 2014 at 09:09

what do you recommend?

It was a decent 'modern horror' story.
The Wiki link seemed to indicate that his Riftwar series is his most popular work.

The Riftwar Saga is so vast though, I might need to book a whole summer off for that one

On another note, I just finished Assassin's Apprentice, first book of Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. I can honestly say that it's one of the best books I've ever read, in and out of the fantasy genre. Highly recommended!

-------------

Arnold Schoenberg

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk