Print Page | Close Window

Discovering more obscure prog rock

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96312
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 12:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Discovering more obscure prog rock
Posted By: deandob
Subject: Discovering more obscure prog rock
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 17:54
All,

Thanks to this site and progressiveears I have discovered a lot of new prog music, and I've become a bit addicted to seeking out new music. I've started this thread to share a bit about my prog rock discoveries to find folks with similar tastes who can recommend me some of the more obscure groups that I might like.

Sounds pretty selfish? Yes, but hopefully sharing what I have discovered and talking about them in this thread will help others make new discoveries as well! After all that is what social sites like prog archives are all about, connecting and sharing.

A little about my musical tastes:
- I grew up with the 70's prog bands but apart from Pink Floyd I don't listen to them anymore, much preferring modern prog with the occasional Camel or Genesis song. I would say Pink Floyd had a pretty profound influence on my current music tastes, as anything similar I tend to like.
- My interest in prog rock (in any depth) has only been in the last 3 years, but I do listen to a fair variety (eg. iamthemorning through to Opeth).
- I tend to like darker/moodier/melodic artists.

It's hard to describe tastes, probably easier if I outline the bands that get the most listening in my favourites playlist:
- Anathema. I have all of their CDs from Alternative 4 onwards, I like the direction this group is evolving to (especially given their roots) (*)
- Airbag (clear Floyd influence here) (*)
- Anekdoten
- Antimatter
- Aeon Zen
- Big Big Train (*)
- The black noodle project
- Blackfield/steve Wilson
- Children of Nova
- Coheed and Cambria
- Collage / Satellite (underrated IMO) (*)
- Comedy of Errors
- Crippled Black Phoenix
- The deer hunter
- Demians
- Devin Townsend (Ki)
- Disperse (*)
- Dream theatre (only a few songs, like wait for sleep from images and words)
- Edison's children (looking forward to the new CD) (*)
- Enochian Theory (*)
- Gazpacho (*)
- Genesis
- Ghost Brigade
- Green Carnation
- Haken
- iamthemorning (*)
- ioearth (* first album)
- IZZ
- Kamelot
- Karcius
- Karnivool
- Katatonia (I have most of their albums) (*)
- Leprous
- Long distance calling (*)
- Marillion (*)
- The Mars Volta (deloused at the comatorium especially)
- Maudlin of the well (without the growling songs)
- Mystery
- Nine Stones Close (*)
- Not a good sign
- Oceansize
- Opeth (their lighter songs) (*)
- Pain of Salvation (*)
- Pendragon
- Peter Gabriel (*)
- Phildeaux (*)
- The Pineapple Thief (excellent band, very underrated IMO) (*)
- Pink Floyd (*)
- Porcupine Tree (*)
- Pure Reason Revolution (another underrated and quite unique band) (*)
- Quidam
- The Reasoning
- Riversea (*)
- Riverside/Lunatic soul (probably my biggest progrock discovery) (*)
- RPWL
- Sieges Even / subsignal (*)
- Sound of Contact
- Spock's Beard
- Storm corrosion
- Sylvan (Posthumous Silence is a very emotional CD, top 10 prog album IMO) (*)
- TesseracT
- Unitopia (*)
- Vanden Plas
- Votum (this is another big discovery for me, similar to Riverside and a must to check out for Riverside fans) (*)
- Yes (the latest album is surprisingly good and fresh)

I have put a stars next to the artists that if you like the majority of the bands in the list above and have not heard the ones with the star then I recommend give them a listen!

Almost all these bands I have discovered from this site, progressiveears and discovery apps like Spotify. However its been harder lately to make new discoveries, so I'm hoping this thread will give me some pointers to more obscure bands (or even more mainstream groups I may have overlooked) so I can discover new music!

Replies:
Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 18:36

Nice list! Seems like we share some similarities in our preferences Smile

I recommend adding Van Der Graaf Generator, Discipline, and Anglagard to your library.

VDGG is my favorite prog group, hands down. Dark, ever-evolving, and ridiculously interesting emotionally and musical throughout, they sound exactly like something that would fit right into your library. Their sound is timeless. Their classic era albums are all as diverse as they are masterful, each one offering something new and of the highest quality. Godbluff is utterly perfect. It's the one I recommend the highest.

Discipline is one of my absolute favorite groups, and if you like darker prog, they're perfect for you. Unfolded Like Staircase is one of the most moving, musical, and unbelievably impressive albums in my entire collection. It's flawless to my ears. Their most recent one is awesome too! I can't recommend them enough.

Anglagard is a symphonic act that recalls the sounds and styles of some of the most revered older groups but puts a new, inimitable twist with their Hybris album. It's a masterpiece in every regard. Then there's Viljans Oga, an album that defies classifications and, in my humble opinion, confounds and shatters the symphonic prog mold. It's like a classical album with prog stylings and enough emotional and technical depth to keep you discovering something new with each repeated listen. A bit of a grower, admittedly, but I guarantee after you've given yourself a chance to digest it, it'll hold a unique place in your library that no other album can steal.

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 19:03
Hi Neo-Romantic.

Haven't given VDGG much thought having put them in the 70's progr rock bracket and I much prefer modern prog, but given your recommendation after seeing my list I will give them a closer listen.

I have 1 song from Discipline in my favourites - Before the Storm Part 1 (unfolded like Staircase) so I'll need to check them out further.

Likewise Anglagard, they aren't on Spotify (where I do most of my music discovery) so I'll have to hunt them down elsewhere.

There is so much to choose from so it's hard to spend the time listening to somewhat random bands hoping to find one that warrants further time listening. So thanks for the more direct recommendations!

If anyone is interested I have about 1500 prog tracks in a Spotify playlist, can be accessed here:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1241861938/playlist/0VK2eKF32wOjb1mgUijXQd

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 19:16
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Nice list! Seems like we share some similarities in our preferences Smile

I recommend adding Van Der Graaf Generator, Discipline, and Anglagard to your library.

VDGG is my favorite prog group, hands down. Dark, ever-evolving, and ridiculously interesting emotionally and musical throughout, they sound exactly like something that would fit right into your library. Their sound is timeless. Their classic era albums are all as diverse as they are masterful, each one offering something new and of the highest quality. Godbluff is utterly perfect. It's the one I recommend the highest.

Discipline is one of my absolute favorite groups, and if you like darker prog, they're perfect for you. Unfolded Like Staircase is one of the most moving, musical, and unbelievably impressive albums in my entire collection. It's flawless to my ears. Their most recent one is awesome too! I can't recommend them enough.

Anglagard is a symphonic act that recalls the sounds and styles of some of the most revered older groups but puts a new, inimitable twist with their Hybris album. It's a masterpiece in every regard. Then there's Viljans Oga, an album that defies classifications and, in my humble opinion, confounds and shatters the symphonic prog mold. It's like a classical album with prog stylings and enough emotional and technical depth to keep you discovering something new with each repeated listen. A bit of a grower, admittedly, but I guarantee after you've given yourself a chance to digest it, it'll hold a unique place in your library that no other album can steal.

What a coincidence, those are the last three bands whose albums I've recently purchased. I like what I hear from Discipline so far, though I'm still waiting on the arrival of Anglagard and VDGG.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 19:40
I noticed you enjoy mostly vocal-oriented stuff. How are you with instrumental music?

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 19:53
Yes, mostly vocal but I do like some post rock. Examples:
- God is an Astronaut
- Buckethead (very Floyd-ish)
- pg.lost
- Hammock (Kenotic is a favourite)
- Maybeshewill
- Scale the summit
-

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 19:54
Discipline is definitely worth checking out further.  

I also think The Tangent would be to your tastes, in case you haven't heard them.  I only know "A Place in the Queue" but it's really good, and I've heard good things about their other albums too.

A more obscure one that just came to mind, though I haven't heard them much, is Rainbow Danger Club (from China), which seems to be conducive to the tastes suggested by the other bands on your list as well.  Quite melancholy and mystical.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: JellySucker
Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:01
If you haven't discovered Birth Control, i feel bad for you man.

-------------
I print dank quality M E M E stickers ° ͜ʖ ͡ -
last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jellypanini
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProgRockTime

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:47
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

Hi Neo-Romantic.

Haven't given VDGG much thought having put them in the 70's progr rock bracket and I much prefer modern prog, but given your recommendation after seeing my list I will give them a closer listen.

I have 1 song from Discipline in my favourites - Before the Storm Part 1 (unfolded like Staircase) so I'll need to check them out further.

Likewise Anglagard, they aren't on Spotify (where I do most of my music discovery) so I'll have to hunt them down elsewhere.

There is so much to choose from so it's hard to spend the time listening to somewhat random bands hoping to find one that warrants further time listening. So thanks for the more direct recommendations!

If anyone is interested I have about 1500 prog tracks in a Spotify playlist, can be accessed here:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1241861938/playlist/0VK2eKF32wOjb1mgUijXQd

So glad I could be of service! I definitely hope you like all of them Smile And let me know what you think!

And Anglagard is a little tough to track down. I had to get the actual CDs from amazon.com. I listened to Hybris on youtube a couple times before I bought the album last year so I knew it would be a worthy purchase. Viljans Oga was a sound-unheard purchase, but I was really pleased with it. Always a great feeling when a gamble pays off like that Cool

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:48

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

What a coincidence, those are the last three bands whose albums I've recently purchased. I like what I hear from Discipline so far, though I'm still waiting on the arrival of Anglagard and VDGG.

Haha that's awesome. You've got a lot of wonderful music coming your way Smile

Date Posted: December 13 2013 at 22:48
HolyMoly, The Tangent do sound interesting, have marked a couple of their tracks for repeat listening. Rainbow Danger Club I'm not so sure yet.

Terima kasih Jelly Sucker. Birth Control is a little too 70's classic prog for my liking (I much prefer modern prog).

I'm going to add posts to this thread of some of my thoughts about bands I like that might be of interest to others.

1st up is Votum. They are a Polish progressive metal group who have been around for about 10 years. Their music is similar to Riverside (who are also Polish) and will definitely be of interest to Riverside and Opeth fans. They also remind me of a couple of Australian bands, in particular The Butterfly Effect (from my home town of Brisbane but now disbanded). Like Riverside I prefer their softer tracks, and have been pretty much on the top of my playlist for the last few weeks.

They have a polished sound, produced well, smooth guitar work, good lyrics and strong vocals (English with no accent). They have released 3 albums, all good, but the last two are more polished. The current album Harvest Moon would be in my top 3 albums released this year. They don't seem to get a lot of coverage though, which is a little surprising.

Here are a couple of tracks to give you a taste.

Great stuff! This is the type of band I'd like to find more like.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 01:10
Well here are some for you!  I searched my database for music from this century, and added some 80s and 90s stuff I could think of offhand.  A star next to ones I think you might start with.
I've included some metal, but not (I think) the harsher sounding bands (maybe a couple of exceptions, depending on your tastes.)

3rdegree
The Addiction Dream
Anubis (*)
Beardfish
Carpe Nota
Clover Seeds
District 97 (*)
echolyn (*)
Elephants of Scotland
Enchant
Every Waking Hour
Explosions In The Sky (*)
Frames
The Gathering
Giant Squid
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Halloween
IQ (*)
Isis
Leprous
A Liquid Landscape
Mastodon (probably only Crack The Skye)
Methexis
Oblivion Sun
Orbs
Persephone's Dream
Phideaux
The Psychedelic Ensemble
The Safety Fire
Singularity (*)
Sky Architect (*)
sleepmakeswaves
Symmetry/Symmetry  
Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving (*)
The Tea Club
Thank You Scientist
Tune (*)
Via Obscura
Vultress (*)

While not really in the Riverside/Votum sound, Tune is another band from Poland that I really like.  The theme of their (one) album is similar to that of the Reality Dream trilogy.

And if you're feeling a bit (more) adventurous:
The Gabriel Construct
Guapo
miRthkon
NeBeLNeST
Nooumena
Present
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Yeti

Have fun!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 05:59
Thanks Infocat! Quite a range to explore. Will keep me busy for the weekend checking these out & will report back.

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 07:56
I'd like to toss in a few others, in case they haven't already been mentioned.

Taylor's Universe

Redd

Seconds Before Landing

Galahad

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 08:03

Yes, mostly vocal but I do like some post rock.

What team I'm on has nothing to do with my tastes or what I was going to recommend. From the OP I thought of some instrumental suggestions but was unsure how much you enjoyed music without vocals. Anyway, you might like these individual songs but not everything/anything else these artists did. Some are from the '70s.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 17:44
OK, spent a bit of time sampling a number of the artists recommended.

The following artists appeal and will get deeper listen:
- via obscura
- Tangled thoughts of Leaving
- The safety fire
- A liquid landscape
- Giant squid (vocals a bit suspect though)
- Frames
- Vultress
- Aborea
- Hejira
- The tangent
- ISIS
- Nektar
- Tortoise

Infocat, I have most of the artists you starred (although not in my most played list) so your suggestions are pretty spot on!

I'll post later about another favourite prog artist.

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 20:19

OK, spent a bit of time sampling a number of the artists recommended.

The following artists appeal and will get deeper listen:
- via obscura
- Tangled thoughts of Leaving
- The safety fire
- A liquid landscape
- Giant squid (vocals a bit suspect though)
- Frames
- Vultress
- Aborea
- Hejira
- The tangent
- ISIS
- Nektar
- Tortoise

Infocat, I have most of the artists you starred (although not in my most played list) so your suggestions are pretty spot on!

I'll post later about another favourite prog artist.
Our tastes seem scarily similar.  I see that I included a few in my list that you had also included; didn't mean to do that.

For Giant Squid I recommend The Ichthyologist over Cenotes.  Less metal (both vocally and instrumentally).  And some wonderful singing by the female vocalist.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 21:12
Infocat, yes it does seem our tastes are similar. Thank you for the recommendation.

As I previously posted about Votum, an underrated Polish prog group, I thought I'd do some more digging about Polish prog, as it seems I have a strong representation of Polish groups in my favourites list.

This morning I found a useful site for Polish prog http://powerofprog.com/group/polishprogressiverock" rel="nofollow - Power of Prog - Polish progressive rock
This site has a player that you can sample a lot of obscure Polish prog groups, and I like a lot of what I hear! Finding online sources for some of these lesser bands is hard, but there is a post on that site that gives a number of stores (Polish and International) where you can order.

Here are a number of tracks from a number of my favourite but relatively obscure Polish prog bands

Satellite - Album 'A street between sunrise and sunset'

Collage - Previous band name for Satellite

Disperse - A number of their songs are on high rotation from the album 'living mirrors'

Quidam - Check out the albums 'Alone Together' and 'SurRevival'

Tune - Infocat suggested earlier I would like them, and I do!

Lunatic Soul - A side project of the Riverside lead singer

Division by Zero - Something a little harder / metal this time

I'm not sure why I gravitate to so many Polish prog bands - they all have a somewhat similar sound so I guess that is the reason, and it's also interesting that they sing in English not in Polish (I assume to reach a larger audience).

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 21:28
Disperse's Living Mirrors is one I'm not so fond of.  Too much generic metal.

I keep seeing some Metal Mind Productions double CD releases from Collage and Satellite at the local store.  I think I will have to pick up a couple!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: December 14 2013 at 21:36
Let me know what you think of Satellite/Collage. They were the first Polish group I started to listen to.

Regarding Disperse living mirrors, there are a number of tracks on the album I don't like too much, but here are a couple more (quieter) tracks that I do listen to:

Date Posted: December 16 2013 at 03:40
While still on the theme of Polish prog-rock groups and Satellite/Collage, the former lead singer from Collage started a new neo-prog group called Believe.

I only just discovered them over the weekend, so wanted to share a couple of songs.

Live - This bread is mine. Beautiful!

From their latest album, I find this song quite catchy

Let me know what you think and if you have similar recommendations.

Posted By: schizoidman
Date Posted: December 16 2013 at 22:52
Taal http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2214" rel="nofollow - Link to PA "Skymind" album

-------------
Making the useless useful 24/7.

Date Posted: December 16 2013 at 22:58
Mahavishnu Orchestra - "Birds of Fire" album http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3357" rel="nofollow - Link PA album page

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 04:54
Some good mentions already.  To add a few more that I don't think have been covered -
Henry Fool
Knifeworld
Pineapple Thief, The
Reasoning, The
Samuel Jackson Five, The
Stereokimono
Big Big Train
Djam Karet
Herd Of Instinct
Maserati

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 07:28

HolyMoly, The Tangent do sound interesting, have marked a couple of their tracks for repeat listening. Rainbow Danger Club I'm not so sure yet.

Terima kasih Jelly Sucker. Birth Control is a little too 70's classic prog for my liking (I much prefer modern prog).

I'm going to add posts to this thread of some of my thoughts about bands I like that might be of interest to others.

1st up is Votum. They are a Polish progressive metal group who have been around for about 10 years. Their music is similar to Riverside (who are also Polish) and will definitely be of interest to Riverside and Opeth fans. They also remind me of a couple of Australian bands, in particular The Butterfly Effect (from my home town of Brisbane but now disbanded). Like Riverside I prefer their softer tracks, and have been pretty much on the top of my playlist for the last few weeks.

They have a polished sound, produced well, smooth guitar work, good lyrics and strong vocals (English with no accent). They have released 3 albums, all good, but the last two are more polished. The current album Harvest Moon would be in my top 3 albums released this year. They don't seem to get a lot of coverage though, which is a little surprising.

Here are a couple of tracks to give you a taste.

Sama - sama :3

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 07:44
Anyway, i'm going to follow this thread because i'm not familiar yet with obscure prog, however, if you like Heavy Prog you might want to give Haystacks Balboa or Night Sun a try

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 09:57
Birds and Buildings - "Bantam to Behemoth"   http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=18151" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=18151

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbHy9ZwTOY" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbHy9ZwTOY  

-------------

Date Posted: December 17 2013 at 14:48
Thanks guys for posting more bands to try.

A couple of picks from the recommendations
Henry Fool - Men Singing is an easy listen
Samuel Jackson Five - similar, easy to listen to, will check them out further
Maserati - Instrumental, post-rock like.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 08:19
A very obscure album that has been noted as Progressive Rock is Neptune by Celluloid. It can be questionable if the album is Prog at all? The entire recording consists of mellotron pieces with the addition of old tapes which were pre-settings within the mellotron that date back as far as The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour , but more evident on "Revolution #9". Chuck Minuto recorded this album in 1983. The tape recordings of Hitler's voice, hand claps, sirens, laughter, and bizzare nightmarish sound effects leap out at you and give the listener the impression that they are watching a film...unlike some Electronic music that flows endlessly and sometimes traveling nowhere while putting you to sleep. The mellotron sections are sometimes harsh and so the catagorization of Prog comes to mind. The mellotron he once owned (although I do not know the model number), is the same mellotron model which was used by The Beatles...as he has informed me of this several times. Neptune is very original and totally unique remaining in a world of it's own. It carries you through several sequences of mellotron styles which are evident on early King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, and Genesis (Tony Banks)..post early dark music nevertheless. There are actual tapes of the original Warner Brothers cartoon characters voices fading in and out over a hellish whirlpool of impressionable soundscapes and Progressive Rock hooks and signature lines. The record is very sought out by fans of not only the mellotron, but fans of Progressive Rock in general. I have attempted to lure him back into recording again ...over the years...and it seems like a mission of great time and energy with no results on his behalf. He recorded this 1 album that I transfered to disc (and with his permission) and have his unreleased demos. He was a true genius and it's a shame that I can't interest a progressive label to release his works. It is possible to obtain a copy of Neptune. You will never regret it if you are a Prog fan. Do a search.

Posted By: yam yam
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 09:38
You can hear the two parts of the 'Neptune' album on YouTube:

There was another album called 'Mercury' released the same year: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=43058" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=43058 , and a compilation boxset of the two in 2002: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=43060" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=43060 .

No reviews or ratings for 'Neptune' on PA at the moment, so any Prog Reviewers out there with an hour or two to spare, here's your chance to have a listen and put that right! Embarrassed

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:30
This is how I see it. You can basically do this three different ways. You can buy mostly newer stuff(from the past few years to the present). These are the most talked about(other than the most obvious seventies bands)and are the easiest to find online. Another approach is to look for the hidden gems from prog's golden era. These would be bands like Shylock, Balleto di Bronzo, Semiramis(and all the other one shot Italian bands), Fruupp, England, Gotic, Hoelderlin and on and on. Also, these days this could include bands from the 80's and 90's. These are not as easy to find online and you need to look. The best places would be Synphonic, Doug Larson and Laser's Edge (imo).  Finally, if you are like most, you will want the best of both worlds and consciously seek out albums from every decade of prog from the late sixties to the present. Have fun!!!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:39
As you mentioned Satellite, Collage, and Believe, are you familiar with Mr. Gil?  It is a solo project from Collage guitarist Gil Mirek.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:44
To quote a post from my blog following are links to some threads I started a couple of years ago recommending some obscurer modern prog bands.  Some of which have already been mentioned but for ease I have quoted myself for the links.
In an attempt to further enlighten myself as well as to bring additional discussions about new albums that haven't really been discussed I am creating a series of album discussion threads in hopes of bringing these albums additional attention, as well as to try and give both long and short-term PA forum members something different to talk about other than the same 6 or 7 bands that dominate the forums.  Anyhow, as a central place for the various discussions I will post the links here.

Astra - The Weirding http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59071&PN=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59071&PN=1
The Wishing Tree - Ostara  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59948&PID=3326358#3326358" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59948&PID=3326358#3326358
Eureka - Shackleton's Voyage http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60977&PID=3370008#3370008" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60977&PID=3370008#3370008
Lobster Newberg - Actress http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61661&PID=3400467#3400467" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61661&PID=3400467#3400467
Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3433550#3433550" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3433550#3433550
Brother Ape - Tubulence http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63402&PID=3471283#3471283" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63402&PID=3471283#3471283
Black Bonzo - The Guillotine Drama http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64197&PID=3507408#3507408" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64197&PID=3507408#3507408
Shadow Circus - Whispers and Screams http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64762&PID=3537210#3537210" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64762&PID=3537210#3537210
Roswell Six - Terra Incognita: Beyond The Horizon http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65438&PID=3568221#3568221" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65438&PID=3568221#3568221
From.UZ - Seventh Story http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66257" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66257

I hope that everyone will participate and that I am doing at least a little part to give back to the PA community.

Thanks,
 Scott

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: December 18 2013 at 15:16
Since there was a certain focus on Polish bands:

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 19 2013 at 01:32

VOTUM 

This is soooooo Porcupine Tree, right down to the Richard Barbieri keyboards!

Very nice stuff, all three pieces are quite listenable and enjoyable.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 19 2013 at 01:57
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I would not consider this "progressive", as it is mostly experimental and off the cuff electronics and playing, but it is very listenable and it kinda makes you want to create a "story" with the visuals and images that it creates, but it dismantles them as soon as you have an image, which very much like a lot of the experimental electronics, that were coming around at the time. 

There were a huge number of them through out the 70's in Europe, specially France and Germany ... got electronics, do an album, and some are good, some are weird, some are strange ... and some ... just are! But they are always nice to listen to and you can background them ... except that they "don't leave you alone" as a sound or part of it, will get your attention.

These are always a lot of fun to have around and listen to. Specially in the dope'y days, when you would put this on to show off to your friend that you found something better than their own album! 

Fun days! But the music and work was great!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 19 2013 at 10:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I would not consider this "progressive", as it is mostly experimental and off the cuff electronics and playing, but it is very listenable and it kinda makes you want to create a "story" with the visuals and images that it creates, but it dismantles them as soon as you have an image, which very much like a lot of the experimental electronics, that were coming around at the time. 

There were a huge number of them through out the 70's in Europe, specially France and Germany ... got electronics, do an album, and some are good, some are weird, some are strange ... and some ... just are! But they are always nice to listen to and you can background them ... except that they "don't leave you alone" as a sound or part of it, will get your attention.

These are always a lot of fun to have around and listen to. Specially in the dope'y days, when you would put this on to show off to your friend that you found something better than their own album! 

Fun days! But the music and work was great!
For me personally....this is the ultimate mellotron album. Dear God...I wish someone would assist me in luring Chuck back into recording again. It doesn't matter anymore if I reveal the fact that he is institutionalized, ignores the internet completely, and over the phone states unusal so called facts about his personal life to me. He just can't be reached and I was warned by Andy Garibaldi that he wouldn't be a long time ago. If you allow Neptune to grow on you..you might feel the same as I do. His personal stories about the CIA and his connection with them seem to give musicians the impression that he is delusional....however there is a history to it which is connected to his heritage and I bounce back and forth between conclusions. As I said...it doesn't matter because apparently he will never come out of hiding or resurface to record again.

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 18:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

While not really in the Riverside/Votum sound, Tune is another band from Poland that I really like.  The theme of their (one) album is similar to that of the Reality Dream trilogy.

Thank you infocat for recommending Tune from Poland. I have been listening to their album Lucid Moments and really enjoying it! The use of the accordion is unique and works well.

Date Posted: December 21 2013 at 23:20

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Thank you infocat for recommending Tune from Poland. I have been listening to their album Lucid Moments and really enjoying it! The use of the accordion is unique and works well.
Indeed!  And you are very welcome.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Stomach Cheese
Date Posted: December 22 2013 at 00:21
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Taal http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2214" rel="nofollow - Link to PA "Skymind" album

Some of the polish stuff is a bit too mellow for me personally.  I've never heard of this band though.  I like the URGENCY, that's one of things that I think some more melodic prog bands feel like they need to sacrifice

-------------
https://theswizzle.bandcamp.com//" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Eigthiesbaby
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 20:09
Might not be the right discussion to ask but I've been trying to find a song a friend once played me... Only lyrics I can remember is "Let's take a walk in the park" Definitely prog or prog-related...Female singer with a distinct voice! If anyone has even the slightest idea please let me know!

Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 19:50
Although not really obscure, I just wanted to post that I have 'discovered' The Perfect Element Pt.1 by Pain of Salvation. I have a couple of their songs in my playlist and was reading a post about classic prog albums so I thought I'd have a listen. Usually I don't like the 'classic' & must have albums (eg. Genesis Foxtrot) as they sound dated to me but this one has a more modern sound (which I prefer) and it reminds me of Sylvan's Posthumous Silence - another modern classic (underrated IMO).

Good stuff and recommended for those who like the artist I posted at the start of this thread.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 20:47
^ Not that obscure:  http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1#list" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1#list  . It just so happens that people don't talk about the band lately on the forum.

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 11:27

All,
Thanks to this site and progressiveears I have discovered a lot of new prog music, and I've become a bit addicted to seeking out new music. 

Seeking out "new music" means that you have to forget anything you have heard or learned before, or you will never get the accptance necessary to be able to enjoy, understand and appreciate something totally different and unlike anything that you have already heard in your life experience.

It becomes "MOS" as it is known in radio. More of the Same.

If you want new music, MOS has to go out the door! Now!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 14:12
Not that obscure, but I noticed no one said anything about Mostly Autumn, which based on your list you might enjoy. First five albums are all highly recommended.

Also, if you haven't yet dig into Discipline, this year's release (This One's For England - a live album) is a great place to start.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 07:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Seeking out "new music" means that you have to forget anything you have heard or learned before, or you will never get the accptance necessary to be able to enjoy, understand and appreciate something totally different and unlike anything that you have already heard in your life experience.

It becomes "MOS" as it is known in radio. More of the Same.

If you want new music, MOS has to go out the door! Now!

Very true, I'm now listening to a lot more diverse music, especially heavier metal which 10 years back I would never have given the time to.

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Not that obscure, but I noticed no one said anything about Mostly Autumn, which based on your list you might enjoy. First five albums are all highly recommended.
Also, if you haven't yet dig into Discipline, this year's release (This One's For England - a live album) is a great place to start.

I have checked out a few of their earlier albums, I really like Before the Storm Pt 1 from Unfolded Like Staircase

Date Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:57
There used to be a Progressive Rock and Electronic music scene in Mexico...and I refer to past tense because I am unaware if it still exists today. Jorge Reyes (RIP)...worked in Prog bands and released several electronic/Prog albums. One of my favorites being ..Cronica De Castas. J.L. Fernandez' Al Filo is an outstanding release. The music even crosses into the style of "Chamber Rock" and is worth looking in to. I also like Carlos Alvardo and a Avant-Garde experimental unit called 1870.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 23:16
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

There used to be a Progressive Rock and Electronic music scene in Mexico...and I refer to past tense because I am unaware if it still exists today. Jorge Reyes (RIP)...worked in Prog bands and released several electronic/Prog albums. One of my favorites being ..Cronica De Castas. J.L. Fernandez' Al Filo is an outstanding release. The music even crosses into the style of "Chamber Rock" and is worth looking in to. I also like Carlos Alvardo and a Avant-Garde experimental unit called 1870.

Nahuatl was some trippy stuff (involved Reyes), and Aleacion 0.720's eponymous was an interesting one-off. Same for Caja de Pandora.

At ProgFest 2000, we were treated to fest openers Codice, and everyone thought they were pretty good. They didn't bring Marisa Calderon with them so they operated as a predominantly instrumental unit with dual keyboards, guitar, bass and drums. They never released anything beyond Alba Y Ocaso.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 18:01
Wanted to post about a new 'discovery', Norwegian band soup. They have a mix of atmospheric prog rock a little like the new Edison's Children release, with the album Children of ELB being the pick for me (other 2 albums also good but a little more alt-rock).

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 05:26
I recently found an excellent resource for modern prog releases that I wanted to share, and a good source for discovering the more obscure prog rock.

http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/

Very comprehensive listing by month and year, links to samples and a short précis of the genre. Going through this list will keep you busy for a couple of hours!

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 05:32
While I'm posting in this thread, here are a couple more bands that I have recently found and like:

Polish band loonypark (female front singer)

Raised by Swans - a Canadian multi-instrumentalist Eric Howden who is really talented but does not get much exposure. Check out these tracks.

Also, if you like the music I'm posting in this thread, do post any similar recommendations of your own.

Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 01:30
Posting more obscure prog artists I have found & like. First is from my neck of the woods, and I saw them supporting Anathema earlier this week during their first Australian tour.

Kent from Sweden (not really prog but they have catchy tunes)

Another from Scandinavia (Norway). Nordagust. Quite dark & melancholy.

I keep on stumbling onto Polish bands. There is a rich prog scene in that country and I like most of what I hear. Here is State Urge.

More from Scandinavia (Finland) - A lot of their prog is moody. The Chant, with a new album out and their back catalogue also worth checking out.

Here is another from The Chant - A number of their tracks have been top of my playlist for a couple of months now.

From Chile, a delightful neo/symphonic track from Aisles (2009 - In Sudden Walks) and one of my favourite prog tracks.

Maybe not so obscure - Archive. Again from You All Look The Same To Me (2002).

Here is a Swedish prog/fusion group Brother Ape. Very catchy tunes.

These are some of the top tracks in my playlist that I have recently discovered. I'm posting these here (and the purpose of this thread) is to share some of the less talked about prog that hopefully introduces others to new prog music. As well, if you like my tastes, please suggest some of your more obscure prog that I may like!

Enjoy :-)

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 11:33
I'd like to recommend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcttoLj5d8Y" rel="nofollow - Boiling Fowls the debut album (2014) by http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8923" rel="nofollow - Cheeto's Magazine .

Posted By: steve2603
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:57
Kayo Dot. Listen to Humbardo and thank me later

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 14:24
Just my opinion but if you want quality obscure prog rock my suggestion is to explore older stuff from the international bands(including obscure US and UK though). Too many people get caught up in the flavor of the week. I'm not saying there aren't any good newer bands out there but it seems that the older ones get passed over because they aren't promoted or talked about as much. Some examples would be Maxophone, Pulsar, Far East Family Band, Semiramis, England, Cathedral(US 70's), Atoll, Solaris, Mirthrandir, Finch, Druid, Gryphon, the list goes on and on. There are tons and tons. I don't mean just from the seventies either but I would probably start there. If you are a symph fan then click on symph prog in the top prog section to narrow it down and click on what years you want. Other sources besides this website for finding obscure prog would be GEPR. net, gnosis2000.net, and synphonic for starters.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Just my opinion but if you want quality obscure prog rock my suggestion is to explore older stuff from the international bands(including obscure US and UK though). Too many people get caught up in the flavor of the week. I'm not saying there aren't any good newer bands out there but it seems that the older ones get passed over because they aren't promoted or talked about as much. Some examples would be Maxophone, Pulsar, Far East Family Band, Semiramis, England, Cathedral(US 70's), Atoll, Solaris, Mirthrandir, Finch, Druid, Gryphon, the list goes on and on. There are tons and tons. I don't mean just from the seventies either but I would probably start there. If you are a symph fan then click on symph prog in the top prog section to narrow it down and click on what years you want. Other sources besides this website for finding obscure prog would be GEPR. net, gnosis2000.net, and synphonic for starters.
Good list of bands there.....

Approve

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:57
Walk In The Park......

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 01:56

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 22:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Approve

There's a few more I listed on the previous page back in December that weren't on here. Put them all together and you have an even better list. Of course there are newer bands who play in the classic style who should be considered such as Anglagard, Nexus, Wobbler, White Willow, La Maschera Di Cera, Gosta Berlings Saga, Future Kings of England etc etc.

Posted By: Hnrz
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 02:54
I'd recommend Causa Sui, especially the 'Euporie Tide' album, it is brilliant retro instrumental prog. It was a great discovery for me! If you like that, there is loads of other interesting stuff going on also on the danish 'El Pariaso' label.

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 15:32

Approve

There's a few more I listed on the previous page back in December that weren't on here. Put them all together and you have an even better list. Of course there are newer bands who play in the classic style who should be considered such as Anglagard, Nexus, Wobbler, White Willow, La Maschera Di Cera, Gosta Berlings Saga, Future Kings of England etc etc.

Those are all good bands,   the only one I don't have is DiCera.
I really like Wobbler, White Willow, and FKOE......also really like a band called Astra.
Cool

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 02:49
2014 has been a good year for prog. Here are a number of 'tunes' that I have discovered over the last 2 months, mostly new releases (I seek out newer bands, I don't enjoy most music from before 1990 anymore, even though I grew up in the 60s/70s).

For fans of airbag (Norwegian band in the ilk of Pink Floyd) here is the solo album from the lead guitarist (Bjorn Riis - Lullabies in a car crash). Very impressive and polished, great guitar work. I like this one better than previous airbag albums. Definitely a recommended listen if you like the music I have been posting in this thread.

Speaking of Pink Floyd (and not so obscure), the latest album doesn't overly float my boat but the following track is OK (Bjorn's solo effort is better IMO)

Fish on Friday (a little more alt-rock than prog rock but quite listenable)

Here is one from no-man from the album Together We're Strangers. I have a number of their albums but for some reason I missed this one, and it is one of their best. Lots of atmosphere and somewhat similar to Steve Wilson/PT.

Presto Ballet (Piece Amongst the Ruins) from 4 years back

IZZ should have a new album out soon. The last one was very good, here is a track:

Lunatic Soul (from the front man of Riverside) has a new album out, full of atmosphere and features high on my repeat playlist - worth investigating further

iamthemorning also have a new album out, belighted. Here is a track quite different to the old material, heavier (the rest of the album is softer, more classical orientated but still prog rock). Definitely worth a listen (especially for the talented lead vocalist Marjana Semkina).

Yet another new release - The Pineapple Thief, Magnolia. This album is up with best of their discography and another recommended listen.

Lastly and not least, the new album from Opeth, Damnation, which I find is more consistent than their previous few releases.

Hope you enjoy these tracks as much as I do. Please do suggest and post other perhaps more obscure prog artists along the same vein as the music I have been posting. Thanks!

Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 10:18

I really like Wobbler, White Willow, and FKOE......also really like a band called Astra.
Cool

Astra's pretty awesome. La Maschera di Cera is one of Fabio Zuffanti's bands and one of the very best "modern retro" bands of the last 10 or so years.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 11:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Cool

Astra's pretty awesome. La Maschera di Cera is one of Fabio Zuffanti's bands and one of the very best "modern retro" bands of the last 10 or so years.

Thanks for the heads up...I'll listen to them today.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 12:36
Thanks for the heads up on a new The Pineapple Thief album. Big smile

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00885%20-%20The%20Pineapple%20Thief%20-%20Magnolia" rel="nofollow - http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00885%20-%20The%20Pineapple%20Thief%20-%20Magnolia

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: 'PiphanyRambler
Date Posted: November 17 2014 at 08:56
I think you could like A Silver mt. Zion, especially their 2011's album, Kollaps Tradixionales.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 18 2014 at 11:20
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3176

Date Posted: November 21 2014 at 17:59
Three Silver mt. Zion - broody with atmosphere, interesting, will explore them further, thanks.
Robert Erdesz - also interesting prog folk.

Here are a couple more found this week:

This one is quite obscure, similar to Porcupine Tree

Here is another obscure artist that I have posted previously in this thread, Raised by Swans (Canadian singer songwriter), from his new album Oxnadalur. Jump to 22 mins into the clip.

Posted By: RoadLASER
Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 10:29
My favourites in 2014.

Franc Carducci from Holland

New EP (studio album will be in 2015)

ABEL GANZ from Scotland

Lee Saunders from UK. It's like 2-nd part of "The Wall". Revue of R.Waters site http://www.rogerwaters.org/prompeace.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.rogerwaters.org/prompeace.html

New album of Peter Gee (Pendragon). Vocal Steve Thorne

JEFF GREEN from Ireland. Vocal Sean Filkins

Stewart Bell (Citizen Cain)

Solaris from Hungary. Previous album was 14 years ago

Elbow from UK

Salander from UK. 3 albums in 2014!!! Big smile

Innerspace from Canada

Lee Abraham from UK

Steve Rothery (Marillion )

Duncan Patterson (Anathema)

The Samurai of Prog from Italy

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 11:01
The best way to find amazing obscure prog...

block out a full day of your life.

Go to RIO/Avant.

Go through the entire list. Give every single band about 2-5 minutes of your time. Write down all the ones that truly interest you. Go back to that list. Give each band on that list about a half hour of your time. The ones that stick with you, write those down now. Suddenly you have a new list of insane great bands that very few people on this planet care about. :)

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: 'PiphanyRambler
Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 11:09
^This should be a page on WikiHow: how to discover obscure prog rock in 8 steps.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 14:05
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Go to RIO/Avant.

Go through the entire list. Give every single band about 2-5 minutes of your time. Write down all the ones that truly interest you. Go back to that list. Give each band on that list about a half hour of your time. The ones that stick with you, write those down now. Suddenly you have a new list of insane great bands that very few people on this planet care about. :)

ThisClap. Obviously, there are a lot of interesting bands in other subgenres too, but people as a whole seem to stick with a few names only.

In any case, even if it does sound like tooting my own horn, if you click on the second link in my signature (the one that says "weekend prog"), you will find a veritable treasure trove of new music - most of which is quite obscure.

Date Posted: November 28 2014 at 17:42
Thanks especially to roadLASER, some interesting bands to explore - BTW your links aren't working well, you need to imbed youtube link with ["tube"]"youtube_URL"["/tube"]  (remove the quotation marks).

For the RIO/Avant fans, try this one from Kayo Dot's new album

And Raff's link http://weekendprog.blogspot.fr/" rel="nofollow - http://weekendprog.blogspot.fr/  has mini reviews and links to new music to try, I have bookmarked this, thanks for sharing!

Date Posted: November 30 2014 at 05:54
Freedom To Glide from UK.

Posted By: Stereolab
Date Posted: December 02 2014 at 17:33

Go to RIO/Avant.

I recently listened to YouTube excerpts from every album on the site rated above 4.0 by more than 100 people, plus a good number of others that caught my eye for whatever reason. Took me a week and I believe I grabbed all of the cream of the crop. But surely there are many gems I missed, either because they didn't fit those criteria or I didn't give the music enough time. I hope to find everything worth listening to eventually.

Date Posted: December 03 2014 at 02:23
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

I recently listened to YouTube excerpts from every album on the site rated above 4.0 by more than 100 people, plus a good number of others that caught my eye for whatever reason.

This is the best way to miss something interesting LOL Many albums are rated 3.0 or lower, and the
number of ratings may be smallMoreover, it may be that You only listen to mainstream music.

Posted By: Stereolab
Date Posted: December 03 2014 at 14:37
Originally posted by RoadLASER RoadLASER wrote:

Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

I recently listened to YouTube excerpts from every album on the site rated above 4.0 by more than 100 people, plus a good number of others that caught my eye for whatever reason.

This is the best way to miss something interesting LOL Many albums are rated 3.0 or lower, and the
number of ratings may be smallMoreover, it may be that You only listen to mainstream music.

Maybe, but I don't have time to systematically listen to everything in my lifetime, that's for sure. If I see specific recommendations in threads, on progstreaming, and so on, I will listen to those opportunistically.

Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:00
I agree, and do similar. Spend a couple of hours a week 'relaxing' looking & listening to new prog tunes while doing other work on my PC. You do miss some gems because for some music it takes a couple of listens to however there isn't enough time available to give everything a chance. But for bands (and sub-genres) that click with me after listening to them for a while I will go back and explore their back catalogue and similar artists.

That is why I'm posting some of the 'gems' I have discovered in this thread to make it easier for others to discover, and thanks to those doing the same thing (embedding youtube clips helps also, just a click away to sample a new tune). I do find amazing the diversity of recommendations, to be frank only about 20% have an appeal to me - but I suppose life would be dull if everyone had the same tastes. But still 20% is great and I have added significantly to my playlist based on recommendations on this site (& progressiveears).

Other useful resources I use is progstreaming, and I have posted earlier about a german guy who reviews literally hundreds of new prog releases each month (in English) with commentary about style, similarity to other artists etc. with links that make it easy to sample. It is a great archive going back 4 years also. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/" rel="nofollow - http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/ .

I don't get much joy from streaming sites like Pandora and Spotify that have 'radio stations' where they automatically queue up supposedly similar bands, although I am a big Spotify user due to the convenience and massive catalogue (and I do buy CDs / paid downloads as well). I have a huge prog playlist on Spotify that I have curated over the years, basically when using Spotify to hop around sampling tunes if I hear a tune I like the first impressions of (and some tunes only get about 20 seconds!) I save it to the playlist then after a while come back to the playlist and listen to these songs a couple of times over a day or two, and the ones that I end up liking more get saved to my regular playlist and get listened to long term.

If you are interested and use spotify, here is Spotify link to the playlist where I save the first impression samples: http://open.spotify.com/user/1241861938/playlist/0VK2eKF32wOjb1mgUijXQd" rel="nofollow - - Starred  (also some alt-rock, post rock & chillout). You will notice the vast majority of the music is from the last 10 years with a bias to melodic and dark/moody but a good mix of soft to hard/metal.

Do post your favourite ways of discovering new (or not so new) prog tunes, and what resources like blogs and forums you use.

Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 05:51

Other useful resources I use is progstreaming, and I have posted earlier about a german guy who reviews literally hundreds of new prog releases each month (in English) with commentary about style, similarity to other artists etc. with links that make it easy to sample. It is a great archive going back 4 years also. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/" rel="nofollow - http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/ .

I agree!
I spend about 20 minutes every 2 days to see this 2 sites.
In the first, you can listen to music.

At
second seen many future releases.
Also, there are brief reviews and samples
As an example. I found an excellent band The Blue Sheep. If the album does not appear on progstreaming, I would never have known about this group, because nowhere is there even a mention of this one.

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00955%20-%20The%20Blue%20Ship%20-%20The%20Executioner%60s%20Lover" rel="nofollow - http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00955%20-%20The%20Blue%20Ship%20-%20The%20Executioner%60s%20Lover

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 07 2014 at 06:00
Just a small request: Can we please cool it with the YouTube vids?
It's just that there are some members who use slow internet connections, and when pages start to have this many vids included, it then takes a year to load.
ThanksSmile

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 03:59
Yes, I have noticed that as well. The youtube vids are a great way to sample a new tune quickly but this page is quite congested.
I see this page has flip over to fresh new page, will promise not to post as many from now on. Embarrassed

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: December 08 2014 at 05:13
Maybe this has been already proposed: Identify a few reviewers whose tastes seem to match yours and check their reviews page, sort by rating, and see which albums they rated highly which you do not know.

After quite some money spent in albums which are very highly rated here in PA but did not impress me at all, I tend now to be more selective on those where the high ratings came from members I consider reliable according to my personal taste and preferences.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 18:54
OK, time for a few more discoveries / recommendations that I have found over the last few weeks. To save on bandwidth I'll post these as separate posts so the page doesn't have too many youtube links.
Firstly from my neck of the woods, Anubis. I liked their earlier albums and the latest is a more consistent and polished offering. All the songs on this album are good, here is a sample.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:02
Here is a sampler of tracks from Dave Kerzner's (ex. Sound of Contact) new album New World. Has some similarities to David Gilmour / later Pink Floyd.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:11
Polish band ISOS, from their recent album Loving on Standby. A little accented but still good prog. 

Another Polish group that I have posted about previously (introduced to me by Infocat on this forum) is Tune. Their latest album isn't as good as the previous one (Lucid Moments), which was a cracker and excellent use of the accordion (and now one of my favourite prog concept albums). However still worth a listen.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:17
Here is something a little heavier, the latest release from Skyharbor, a very enjoyable album and gets lots of repeats on my playlist. Similar sound to Tesseract and Karnivool.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:28
Another Aussie band, this time the new band from a couple of members of Unitopia. If you like Unitopia you will like this album (although a little pretentious in places).

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:32
The new album from Dutch band Silhouette is worth checking out.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:36
Something a little softer. Blueneck from the UK.

Date Posted: December 27 2014 at 19:40
Yet another Polish group - Maze of Sound (Poland seems to be a real hothouse for Prog Rock, about 1/4 of my modern prog playlist are Polish groups, I guess I just like their sound....).

That's it for now. Do post your discoveries as well.

Date Posted: December 28 2014 at 11:54

Go to RIO/Avant.

Nahhh ... just about anywhere on this board will be just as good!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 17:29
OK time to post some new discoveries. I'm finding if I check the latest releases for each month I can find a number of new bands to listen to, and for the ones that really grow on me I check their back catalog. This means my listening has a very strong bias towards new prog music, which is a good thing but I know that I'm still missing some gems from years prior to 2010 - so again a call out to anyone reading this thread who appreciates the music styles I'm posting - do suggest some music as well!

Another band from Poland (almost half my recommendations are Polish - its unintentional, just seems I 'get' their sound!).

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 17:36
Here is a track from the latest beardfish album - +4626 - COMFORTZONE. Probably the best release I have heard so far for 2015, I didn't really like their previous releases however this one is highly recommended, it keeps growing on me and towards the top of the playlist.

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 17:45
Now for something heaver - Soen Tellurian.

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 17:53
Lets keep with heavy - Chaos Divine from Perth, Australia. (Warning - screaming/growling...) from their 2011 album.

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 17:58
Sylvan's latest release - Home. Not quite as good as one of my favourite CDs Posthumous Silence but still very listenable.

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 18:02
A little bit more obscure but very good, The Amazing's latest album Picture You.

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 18:12
From Oslo, Norway, Radiant Frequency's new album Brorby-Sko. No youtube but check out the bandcamp page, the last track 'sleep' is a wonderful 70's prog inspired improve track.

http://radiantfrequency.bandcamp.com/album/br-rby-sko" rel="nofollow - http://radiantfrequency.bandcamp.com/album/br-rby-sko

Date Posted: May 17 2015 at 03:47
OK time for some more recommendations.

The new album from IZZ. Very polished and consistent and the last album in a trilogy.

Arcane, a local band for me (Brisbane, Australia). More refined than earlier efforts, and the song below is from interesting double album released in January with a mix of heavy and light prog metal.

Date Posted: May 17 2015 at 03:58
From the latest album from Archive. Lots of softer, songs with ambience.
Nordic giants. I posted about them in another recent thread, post rock (with vocals) from England not Norway.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk