Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96438
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 19:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can - Essential Playlist
Posted By: rushfan4
Subject: Can - Essential Playlist
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 08:38
Classic Rock magazine did a Buyer's Guide article on Can and the above songs are the ones included as their essential playlist.   Which of these songs is your favorite?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 08:48
Pretty impressive list, they did a pretty good job.  Clear pick for me is "Bel Air", one of my favorite songs by anybody, with "Oh Yeah" in second place and "Father Cannot Yell" in third.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 09:06

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 09:18
Bel mofo Air! One of the best 'epics' of the 1970s.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 11:02
Hi,

Bummer. Skipped the vote. You could at least allow 2 or 3 votes!

I'm gonna say, get it all or go home and get Sex Pistols and say goodbye!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 11:17
Funny but i've never really thought about what my favourite CAN song is. I do think Vernal Equinox is their best from the later period but overall i'm thinking Mother Sky or Halleluwah. Maybe I need to go on a CAN bender.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 11:36
Out of the list, Mushroom, followed closely by the tracks from Ege. In general, I think my favorite Can song in Paperhouse

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 13:58
Moonshake has always been my favourite Can song.  I like every single song on that list, though.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 14:21
Mother Sky over Sing Swan Song

My favorites aren't included.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: mongofa
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 16:28
My favorite is Yoo Doo Right, but the most essential is Oh Yeah or something

-------------

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 19:30
Mother Sky over Oh Yeah.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:38
No Can-nutter would make the excact same playlist but I can't really complain about a beginners guide to Can of this quality. Great to see Vernal Equinox and Animal Waves included. Everyone seems to hate Out Of Reach (I don't. Its obviously uneven but still worth checking out) check out its stunner November

which is my current favorite along with Dead Pigeon Suite but my alltime favorite is Mother Sky

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:52
^Nice one Saperlipopette.
I keep forgetting about that album, which is a damn shame. Love those two tunes you mention.

Really hard to pick a fave out of these - I love all of em. Bel Air is the obvious choice, but I can't bear seeing Oh Yeah without a single vote. No other track of theirs gets me dancing like it does - and I'm talking wild stomping Cherokee salsa here! Fantastic drive to it much credited to Jaki's incessant and monotonous beat. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 13:54
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

No Can-nutter would make the excact same playlist but I can't really complain about a beginners guide to Can of this quality. Great to see Vernal Equinox and Animal Waves included. Everyone seems to hate Out Of Reach (I don't. Its obviously uneven but still worth checking out) check out its stunner November......

......which is my current favorite along with Dead Pigeon Suite but my alltime favorite is Mother Sky
I would have included that song (November) on the list too, along with Serpentine.  I used to despise the Out Of Reach album, but it has eventually grown on me.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 15:15
Moonshake

-------------
What?

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 16:07

Everyone seems to hate Out Of Reach (I don't. Its obviously uneven but still worth checking out)

Doesn't Holger Czukay himself hate that album? (He's not fond of Future Days either). I think that is their only album that has never seen a proper re-release.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: December 27 2013 at 17:34
I just can't decide. Can is too good.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: December 27 2013 at 19:09
Other, Peking O.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 28 2013 at 11:09
Everything

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 28 2013 at 12:33
Not a huge Can fan............but I do like Future Days so went with Bel Air.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: December 31 2013 at 02:52
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Everyone seems to hate Out Of Reach (I don't. Its obviously uneven but still worth checking out)

Doesn't Holger Czukay himself hate that album? (He's not fond of Future Days either). I think that is their only album that has never seen a proper re-release.

For an artist such as Czukay and a band like Can I can understand why they dismiss  Out of Reach. If this was the kind of albums they made in the early 70's they wouldn't have been Can. But fans like me discovering Can decades later after they were active, coming to this album knowing that its considered the band at their least inspired. And I find them still creating compositions other bands would have been proud of. He has every right to not be fond of Future Days, but while interesting what artists think of their own works isn't of any importance to me.   

I really dont get Moshkito's constant picking on music listeners discussing their preferences, favorites or dislikes for certain works. If some people find a list considered some band's strongest material useful  what is there to even have an opinion about it (except for what it contains)? I also think 
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

get it all or go home and get Sex Pistols and say goodbye!

...is just about as useless and wrong advice that a person can give. 

All artists are free to create material under par or to sound uninspired but it will have consequences. If creating music is how you make a living, and you disappoint the ones that keep you alive too many times you will eventually be out of work. Because buying stuff you don't like or need is a waste and a perverted form of decadence that most can't afford anyway. And of course most people can't afford buying the music they actually love.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 31 2013 at 08:25

...is just about as useless and wrong advice that a person can give. 

All artists are free to create material under par or to sound uninspired but it will have consequences. If creating music is how you make a living, and you disappoint the ones that keep you alive too many times you will eventually be out of work. Because buying stuff you don't like or need is a waste and a perverted form of decadence that most can't afford anyway. And of course most people can't afford buying the music they actually love.

You are over reacting to a way of saying something. But since we are in an age of "favorites" and "songs", it gives us the permission to make an opinion. All it says is I'm not a fan of the Sex Pistols, not that their music is crap compared to anyone else's! That idea would be pretentious. Being that I spend my time talking about and comparing the 60's and the music so much, it's weird that you would think that I do not understand the Sex Pistols and their scene! It's just a different scene, and STILL very valid!

40 years ago, I had to mind my nickels and dimes to even get a single CAN album, because they were all imports and by the time we got to Moby Disk, they would all be gone. So that means I would have to sacrifice any Elton John, and Sex Pistols to be able to get what I really wanted. Doesn't mean they are ridiculous bad, though it's been said that music was not exactly one of their talents!

That said, my "favorite" CAN stuff is "Bel Air" and then "Chain Reaction" moving onto "Quantumm Physics". The transitions in these between the slow parts onto the next one, are some of the prettiest things I have ever heard.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:24
I'll go with Vernal Equinox - this time - all though my all time pick is Flow Motion....

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: December 31 2013 at 12:46
I voted for Mother Sky. 

Regarding the Sex Pistols, I excpect some came to discover Can due to the Sex Pistols.  John Lydon has claimed Can, Van der Graaf Generato, Magma and Captain Beefheart as influences, and I remember in an old interview with him where he said that Tago Mago was one of his all-time favourite albums. The Sex Pistols scene may be different from the Can scene, but I don't think that they are totally different.  I have friends (these days more like acquaintances) who have have been at the forefront of Vancouver's punk scene, and they sure do dig Can.

I love Never Mind the Bollocks, incidentally, and have long been a Public Image Ltd. fan.

Posted By: MythosDreamLab
Date Posted: January 01 2014 at 00:58
since I can't vote, I will go with:

1 [3.23%]
2 [6.45%]
0 [0.00%]

0 [0.00%]

0 [0.00%]
3 [9.68%]

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk