Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9665
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 17:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Extreme metal
Posted By: Logos
Subject: Extreme metal
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 18:54
List your favourite heavy metal (don't mean classic metal like Maiden, etc, but death / black / grind / doom etc.) bands / albums!

Mine in no particular order..

Immortal - their albums "Damned in Black" and "At the Heart of Winter" are simply masterpieces. The riffs of these guys could break down concrete walls! Just legends of the Norwegian metal scene.

Arch Enemy - great technical death with a female vocalist. Her growls are pretty rough! "Wages of Sin" is my fave album from them.

Death - one of the grandfathers of death metal! No need for explanations. "Individual Thought Patterns" stands out as a masterpiece.

Candlemass and Swallow the Sun - my Doom metal favourites. StS is Finnish , pretty well known here in the metal underground. Spectacular doom!! Candlemass' "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" is my favourite doom album tho.

Vintersorg is my favourite vocalist, his growls and cleans are just perfect! A bit like Mikael Åkerfeldt in a way. His solo material is pretty astonishing.

Extol - an underground technical death / black band from Sweden. These guys sure know how to play! Almost prog at times.

Then there is of course Sentenced . They used to make death / black metal in the early 90's , for example the album "North From Here" is one of the best Finnish metal albums of all time. Nowadays their music is more accessible for the big audiences, depending more on catchy tunes than heavy riffing.

Discuss.. I know there are quite a few metalheads here!!

PS. It would also be nice to get a few suggestions on what metal to listen to next!!

Replies:
Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 03:45

Death-Human and Sound of Perseverance

Opeth-Everything in their catalogue

Extol-The Blueprint Dives,Synergy

Nile-In Their Darkened Shrines and Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

Gorguts-Obscura and From Wisdom to Hate

Cryptopsy-None so Vile,And Then You'll Beg,Whisper Supremacy

Napalm Death-From Enslavement to Obliteration

Cannibal Corpse-Gore Obsessed

Control Denied-The Fragile Art of Existence

Bathory-Under the Sign:The Sign of the Black Mark

Morbid Angel-Blessed are the Sick,Covenant

Meshuggah-everything in their catalogue

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 16:55

Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Extol - an underground technical death / black band from Sweden. These guys sure know how to play! Almost prog at times. 

Actually, Extol are from Norway. They are great!! I was on a release-party with them earlier this year! Great musicians, and very, VERY complex music.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 17:19

Paradise Lost

Mudvayne

Megadeth

Machine Head

Fear factory

System of a Down

Static-X

Slipknot (the last album is great! But the rest sucks)

Stone Sour

Strapping Young Lad

Norther

Children of Bodom

In Flames

Opeth

Anyone know some good polish bands like Vader or Behemoth? Don't love 'em myself but I think the'r one of the few polish bands that are world-worthy

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 17:24
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Actually, Extol are from Norway. They are great!! I was on a release-party with them earlier this year! Great musicians, and very, VERY complex music.

You're right, my bad.

One I forgot to mention in my original post : Ulver , definitely one of the most original bands in the Norwegian black metal scene!! I just love their debut album "Bergtatt" , which has a lot of acoustic sections and clean vocals as well.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 19:55
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

I love Synergy and Blueprint!

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: August 06 2005 at 20:03

Extreme Metal blows most of the time, but I surely like Power Metal!

MY EMERALD SWORD OWNS YOU!!!

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 13:18
Also; if you are interested in the roots of extreme metal, I strongly suggest you to check Venom's "Black Metal". It's from 1982, and you can tell. But still, considering their satanic lyrics combined with the soaring guitars and the fuzzy sound, these guys were surely seen as very extreme in the 80's.

Edit. They're Britons by the way, not Norwegians, although Norway is the home of black metal these days.

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 13:23

most extreme/black metal sounds like poo to me.

a few are awesome tho.

Mastodon is my favorite metal band at the moment.

Children of Bodom are also interesting

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 13:27
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Well, about 99 out of 100 black metal bands are sh*te.

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 16:20
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

a few are awesome tho.

Mastodon is my favorite metal band at the moment.

Children of Bodom are also interesting

Mastodon are very very good.I saw them on their Remission tour with The Dillinger Escape Plan and they were great live.Brann Dailor is an awesome drummer.

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 16:41

They're not black - in fact they're a Christian band. Their latest album is quite innovative - not as thrashy as their previous albums.

-------------

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 03:51

AUTOPSY "Mental funeral" Perfect album title! There's pictures of the guys smoking dope from 2 meter long glass pipes before their rock'n'roll act.

CARCASS "Symphonies of Sicness"

DEATH "Human"

MY DYING BRIDE "Turn Loose The Swans" ...there's good material also on their other releases.

NAPALM DEATH Any of their material to mid 90's. "From Enslavement to Obliteration" is their best.

SEPULTURA "Arise" and "Beneath The Remains"

Some titles from BOLT THROWER and IMMOLATION also.

Posted By: hotbelly
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 06:58

Hollenthon - With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell (One of the best albums ever released)

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Amon Amarth - The Avenger (or Once Sent From Golden Hall)

Bathory - Hammerheart

Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage

Enslaved - Eld

Manegarm - Nordstjarnans Tildsalder

plus a fair number of the previously mentioned bands/albums

Posted By: Reverie
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 08:12

Cynic - Focus

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

Posted By: Paradox
Date Posted: August 10 2005 at 19:54

Also; if you are interested in the roots of extreme metal, I strongly suggest you to check Venom's "Black Metal". It's from 1982, and you can tell. But still, considering their satanic lyrics combined with the soaring guitars and the fuzzy sound, these guys were surely seen as very extreme in the 80's.

Edit. They're Britons by the way, not Norwegians, although Norway is the home of black metal these days.

Great album! Can't listen to it too often though it seems. Feel slightly in the mood for it now though.

Opeth and My Dying Bride are great bands. Primarily however i enjoy "classic" metal, e.g., Judas Priest, Iron Maiden e.t.c., and more recently getting into Mercyful Fate and King Diamond.  

-------------

Posted By: IDDQD
Date Posted: August 11 2005 at 13:01
Just a few essentials:

Summoning - Dol Guldur, Nightshade Forests. Epic Fantasy Metal with heavy keyboards in looping, classicaly inspired phrases, often running textural changes.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tarr Oss. The best from the second wave.

Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus - Two of the greatest albums of the European Melodic Death tradition circa early 90's, when Death and Melodic were not mutually exclusive.

The above would be an excellent overview of Extreme Metal, with only ***** albums. Don't waste your time with Opeth.

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: August 11 2005 at 15:20

Originally posted by IDDQD IDDQD wrote:

Summoning - Dol Guldur

I have this too, and it's very good! Do you know, is this one-man project? Are the drums programmed?

Posted By: Slayer!
Date Posted: August 11 2005 at 21:57

Death, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Sepultura, to name a few.

-------------
System of a Down, Slayer, Fear Factory, Death, Children of Bodom, Meshuggah, Symphony X, Nevermore, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: August 11 2005 at 22:04

Opeth is the only extreme metal band i can stand. Blackwater park is the heaviest thing i can take.

Oh yes, Anal c**t are hilarious. I dont take it as music, but funnier then some comedies

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Dreamer
Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 06:52

My fave metal bands are Black Sabbath, Metallica and Iron maiden.. But thats classic metal isnt it?? Dont like most heavier metal.

BTW. What type of metal is Slayer?

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 06:57

Slayer are difficult to describe - I'd call it Thrash Metal, but their music also has many attibutes of Death Metal. It's Thrash with more brutal vocals and at a faster pace.

What are your favorite Prog Metal bands?

-------------

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 07:08
I think the problem is Slayer were doing semi-death metal before death metal bands were, so it's tempting to reclassify them based on what happened afterwards.

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 07:15
^ I think they're best described as a Proto-Death band with Thrash influences.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 10:16
It's best to describe them as crap.

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 10:27

BTW: Check out Fantomas ...

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 10:51
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Yeah, I know Fantômas, and Dave Lombardo is a great drummer. But still, I don't find anything interesting in Slayer's music. Fantômas on the other hand have some fantastic moments, and "Delirium Cordia" is a masterpiece!

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 10:57

Yeah, I know Fantômas, and Dave Lombardo is a great drummer. But still, I don't find anything interesting in Slayer's music. Fantômas on the other hand have some fantastic moments, and "Delirium Cordia" is a masterpiece!

I agree with you - Slayer never held much interest for me either.

What do you think about

Annihilator?

Alice in Hell and Never, Neverland are awesome - great mix of Power and Thrash.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 11:05

What do you think about
Annihilator?
Alice in Hell and Never, Neverland are awesome - great mix of Power and Thrash.

Sorry. Don't know them.

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 11:09

Another great album:

Death Angel - Act III

Their other albums are relatively ordinary, but this is a Thrash masterpiece.

-------------

Posted By: Slayer!
Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 15:10

Slayer is thrash metal. I wouldn't consider them death metal.  IMO, Paul Bostaph (the 2nd drummer of Slayer) was better than Dave Lombardo. Although Dave was good Paul seems more technical.

Recently I've been into Fear Factory. I may be wrong, and probably am, but I think it's progressive like. Anyone have anything to say on that?

-------------
System of a Down, Slayer, Fear Factory, Death, Children of Bodom, Meshuggah, Symphony X, Nevermore, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden.

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 16:16

Another great album:

Death Angel - Act III

Their other albums are relatively ordinary, but this is a Thrash masterpiece.

Re Annihilator, they're alright but the vocals (and lyrics ) tend to spoil it a bit. The first two records still get in my CD player from time to time though.

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 16:18

Another great band:

Lamb of God.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 16:35
You a thrash expert, Mike? At least you seem to know a bunch of obscure thrash groups I've never heard of.  The only thrash band that I've gotten to know properly is Pantera. They rock. Darrell Dimebag was a fine, fine guitarist. Vulgar Display of Power

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 16:39
Oh and by the way Mike, you should check out Borknagar and Vintersorg. Borknagar has three or four prog metal albums, and their first one is black metal, but a fine one also. I bet you might like them, being a friend of prog metal!  Vintersorg is the vocalist of Borknagar, his solo material is very good!! But not as proggy as Borknagar. A lot of double bass drums and lots of clean vocals by Vintersorg. This guy is probably my fave metal singer after Åkerfeldt. Both have the amazing ability to sing both top notch growls and cleans!

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 16:41

I know many obscure metal bands, that's true. But I'm not really an expert on Thrash, because during the time when Thrash had it's peak as a genre, I was already onto something else - Prog Metal. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2005 at 21:17

Another great band:

Lamb of God.

.....Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been listening to their Ashes of the Wake cd quite a lot lately.

-------------

Posted By: Dreamer
Date Posted: August 14 2005 at 07:19

Slayer are difficult to describe - I'd call it Thrash Metal, but their music also has many attibutes of Death Metal. It's Thrash with more brutal vocals and at a faster pace.

Well as far as prog metal goes, I really like Dream Theater, but I find it hard to get into any other bands. I tried Symphony X and Queensryche, but its abit cheesy, and i get the feeling theyre trying too hard to sound like something else. I heard Pain of Salvation are really good though, Im looking for a place to start with them.

I was asking about Slayer cause I had an arguement with some metalhead friends about it being thrash or death metal, it seems abit of both really.

Edit: I play drums, and I must admit Heavy metal is great fun to play, you can always challenge yourself with it.

Posted By: riversdancing
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 03:28
Actually, I'm more like a metalhead than a progger, my musical taste is much closer to heavy metal than to the prog mammoths. I'd like to mention some classic metal albums mostly from the technical speed/thrash genre

Mekong Delta - Dances of Death, Kaleidoscope
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil, Distortion
Voivod - Dimension Hatröss, Nothingface
Testament - The Gathering
Dyoxen - First Among Equals
Toxik - World Circus, Think This
Realm - Endless War, Suiciety
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence, Act III
Annihilator - Alice In Hell, Never Neverland
Agent Steel - Omega Conspiracy, Order of the Illuminati
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Berak The Oath
Atheist - Piece of Time, Unquestionable Presence, Elements
Death - Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance

"I know many obscure metal bands, that's true. But I'm not really an expert on Thrash, because during the time when Thrash had it's peak as a genre, I was already onto something else - Prog Metal. "

To Mike:  I'm 28, so I have also missed the peak of thrash in the late 80s. The same happened to me, discovered bands such as Rush and  Images and Words from a then-new band called Dream Theater and these discoveries completly changed my musical taste. But later I have recognized that the diversity is one of the most importat thing in music and I started to collect things from distinct thrash bands and also some CDs from hair metal bands.
Now I can listen Enchant, Forbidden, Shark Island, Winger, Death, Rush, Mezarkabul/Pentagram, Bruce Dickinson, Candlemass and Ephel Duath in quick succession.

Posted By: Kohllapse
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 04:46
 Equinox

Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 13:40
If you don't mind the satanism and the deaths and murders and the pig heads and the cannibalism and the sadism and masocism that Mayhem is known for , their debut "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" is a pretty strong BM effort.

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: August 16 2005 at 14:41
Originally posted by Slayer! Slayer! wrote:

Slayer is thrash metal. I wouldn't consider them death metal.  IMO, Paul Bostaph (the 2nd drummer of Slayer) was better than Dave Lombardo. Although Dave was good Paul seems more technical.

Recently I've been into Fear Factory. I may be wrong, and probably am, but I think it's progressive like. Anyone have anything to say on that?

IMO Fear Factory is quite proggy!!!

Archetype is a great album! 2 bad its callled industrial metal

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: hotbelly
Date Posted: August 18 2005 at 00:17

If you don't mind the satanism and the deaths and murders and the pig heads and the cannibalism and the sadism and masocism that Mayhem is known for , their debut "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" is a pretty strong BM effort.

That album is excellent, but I would advise limiting Mayhem to that album alone. The others (what I've heard) are terrible...

Date Posted: August 19 2005 at 09:05
For SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW doom metal I suggest you to check Reverend Bizarre from Finland. Their album"In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend" is pretty good and even has a 21-minute HUGE doom metal epic! (Along with a few shorter ones and two 13-minute monsters)

Posted By: Metropolis
Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 16:18
Did any of you guys make it along to Wacken Open Air this year?

It was awesome beyond compare.

-------------
We Lost the Skyline............

Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by riversdancing riversdancing wrote:

Actually, I'm more like a metalhead than a progger, my musical taste is much closer to heavy metal than to the prog mammoths. I'd like to mention some classic metal albums mostly from the technical speed/thrash genre

Mekong Delta - Dances of Death, Kaleidoscope
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil, Distortion
Voivod - Dimension Hatröss, Nothingface
Testament - The Gathering
Dyoxen - First Among Equals
Toxik - World Circus, Think This
Realm - Endless War, Suiciety
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence, Act III
Annihilator - Alice In Hell, Never Neverland
Agent Steel - Omega Conspiracy, Order of the Illuminati
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Berak The Oath
Atheist - Piece of Time, Unquestionable Presence, Elements
Death - Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance

"I know many obscure metal bands, that's true. But I'm not really an expert on Thrash, because during the time when Thrash had it's peak as a genre, I was already onto something else - Prog Metal. "

To Mike:  I'm 28, so I have also missed the peak of thrash in the late 80s. The same happened to me, discovered bands such as Rush and  Images and Words from a then-new band called Dream Theater and these discoveries completly changed my musical taste. But later I have recognized that the diversity is one of the most importat thing in music and I started to collect things from distinct thrash bands and also some CDs from hair metal bands.
Now I can listen Enchant, Forbidden, Shark Island, Winger, Death, Rush, Mezarkabul/Pentagram, Bruce Dickinson, Candlemass and Ephel Duath in quick succession.

Out of the nine you've listed I've heard, I love six of them and like another. Great stuff!

Posted By: moonlapse
Date Posted: August 21 2005 at 18:49
Originally posted by IDDQD IDDQD wrote:

Don't waste your time with Opeth.

Why not?  Opeth is a great band.

Date Posted: August 22 2005 at 16:10

One man project Burzum is worth checking out! "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" is a VERY, VERY good album, mainly instrumental. This music is also called ambient black-metal, the synths play a vital part in the overall sound and the tempo is not very fast. Also the riffs are pretty repetitive and very hypnotizingly catchy. The vocals are extremely brutal shrieks. "Filosofem" is also worth your time.

Quite a mythical person this Varg Vikerners. He's the one every BM fan likes to talk crap about.

Posted By: FishyMonkey
Date Posted: August 22 2005 at 18:15
Some of my favorites are:

Immortal
Emperor
SiKth
Strapping Young Lad
Empyrium
Death
Katatonia
Dillinger Escape Plan
Meshuggah
Dimmu Borgir
Pantera
Kamelot
Dark Tranquility (>>> In Flames bitches)
At The Gates
Arcturus

That's pretty much it, I oculd sit down and enjoy any one of those bands.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/FishyMonkey/?chartstyle=artists">

Date Posted: August 22 2005 at 18:16
If you like SYL, check out the Devin Townsend Band ... but I guess you just forgot to list them.

-------------

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 04:18

I love Extreme! They're one of my fave bands at the moment!

Posted By: Eemu Ranta
Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 14:10
I find the whole image-based black metal scene more ridiculous than
amusing. Ulver's first albums stand out as the sole bm I really
enjoy.

Some death metal bands find their way to my ears every now and then,
Here's a selection:

Ajattara, mainly for the finnish growls
At The Gates, the fathers of melodic death/thrash
Cannibal Corpse, you know who I'm talking about.
Carcass, Former grindcore, later albums towards melodic death.
Cryptopsy, insane tech-death.
The Forsaken, good oldskool death
Nile, as above

-------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable - George Bernhard Shaw

Posted By: Wolf Spider
Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 14:28
Death metal:
Behemoth
Hollenthon
Vader
Death
Esquarial
Enter Chaos
Soilwork
Dark Traquillity
At The Gates
Misteria
Arch Enemy

Black metal:
Emperor
Mayhem
Lux Occulta
Profanum
Christ Agony
Immortal
Limbionic Art
Satyricon
Thorns

Trash Metal:
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Kreator
HUnter
Testament
Horrorscope

-------------
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/tomash33 - Last.fm

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 18:54
Well, next month I am going to see Opeth, Dragonforce, Nevermore, Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquility

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 03:02

Originally posted by Wolf Spider Wolf Spider wrote:

Death metal:
Behemoth
Hollenthon
Vader
Death
Esquarial
Enter Chaos
Soilwork
Dark Traquillity
At The Gates
Misteria
Arch Enemy

Black metal:
Emperor
Mayhem
Lux Occulta
Profanum
Christ Agony
Immortal
Limbionic Art
Satyricon
Thorns

Trash Metal:
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Kreator
HUnter
Testament
Horrorscope

it's called Thrash Metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Syrinx
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 03:09
http://myspace.com/radiation4 - Radiation 4
http://www.purevolume.com/converge - Converge
http://zaoonline.com - ZAO

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 04:16

Originally posted by Metropolis Metropolis wrote:

Well, next month I am going to see Opeth, Dragonforce, Nevermore, Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquility

Lucky bastard.

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 18:27
^hehehehe

-------------

Posted By: Zarquino
Date Posted: August 26 2005 at 14:41
Trash is not thrash....jajajaj!

I like much more extreme thrash than tharash...Kreator, Slayer and Sodom. From black I like Emperor, Satyricon and some others. Im now being introduced in death...and bands I like from xtreme are : Graveworm, Dark Lunacy (with violin), Stormlord, Into Eternity, Edge of Sanity, bloodbath, death, opeth,nile Zyklon and Lunaris...

For years ive been a lot in power. But now m very tired of double bass horse running or epic kings and knights melodies. All the lyrics telling the same...

Maybe someone youd like my favourite band (:D) : Stravaganzza from spain...a extrange mixture of metal...from black to prog, with doom and death and a great drummer. The singer and the drummer are the same as in saratoga. They only have 2 albums but theyre f**king great!!!

Bye guys

-------------
There's nothing left to loose

Posted By: Mnemosyne
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 16:18

My fav. Extreme metal band are from the "Avant-metal" kind of movement:

Solefald, Borknagar, Vintersorg, Ulver, Manes, Arcturus, Seth, Blut aus Nord,...And oceans, Lunaris, Ephel Duath, Carnival in Coal, Dødheimsgard, Meat Marionette, Pelican

-------------
I'm a Man-Owl-Fish.
Creator-Observer-Muse.

Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 16:38
Originally posted by Mnemosyne Mnemosyne wrote:

My fav. Extreme metal band are from the "Avant-metal" kind of movement:

Solefald, Borknagar, Vintersorg, Ulver, Manes, Arcturus, Seth, Blut aus Nord,...And oceans, Lunaris, Ephel Duath, Carnival in Coal, Dødheimsgard, Meat Marionette, Pelican

Those bands rule!

Kristoffer "Garm" Rygg, Jan Axel "Hellhammer" von Blomberg and Andreas "Vintersorg" Hedlund is actually like a Holy Trinity of metal to me.

Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 13:12
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

True, true

WHO CARES?

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 13:50

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

True, true

WHO CARES?

People from English speaking countries do ... and I also, because trash means garbage. So whenever someone says trash instead of thrash, it sounds like an insult.

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 16:09

People from English speaking countries do ... and I also, because trash means garbage. So whenever someone says trash instead of thrash, it sounds like an insult.

True, true

You guys realize of course that the rest of the world calls it Trash metal? It doesn`t sound like an insult to me... An insult is when someone calls Queen or Nightwish prog Oh, and I know what the word "trash" means...

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 16:31

You guys realize of course that the rest of the world calls it Trash metal?

Not true:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_Metal - http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_Metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_metal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_metal

-------------

Posted By: the stranger
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 21:45
I haven't seen much doom bands on the topic. It seems that all people focus more on thrash, death & black. And doom can also get pretty extreme. Some doom bands get really heavy. Heavy as thrash, black or death. Just check out:
Sunn O)))
Esoteric
Khanate
Bunkur
Burning Witch
Skepticism
Evoken
Thergothon
Boris
Earth
Goatsnake
Moss
Hierophant
Catacombs
Torture Wheel

Now on less heavy doom, this bands are great:
Shape of Despair
Somnium Mortuum
Avrigus
Estatic Fear
Ras Algethi
As Divine Grace
Chalice
Dawn of Dreams
Draconian
How Like A Winter
(Early)Lacrimas Profundere
(Earky)Katatonia
(Early)Anathema
Virgin Black
Silentium
Silent Cry

And the doom Juggernaut:
MY DYING BRIDE

Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 01:32

You guys realize of course that the rest of the world calls it Trash
metal?

Seriously - that is NOT TRUE.

Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 03:09
Google: Trash metal - 1,830,000 results
         &nbs p;  Thrash metal - 761,000 results

Hm... What do you guys think of that?

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 03:24

Google: Trash metal - 1,830,000 results
         &n bs p;  Thrash metal - 761,000 results

Hm... What do you guys think of that?

Have a look at this page:

http://www.tribe13.de/trash-metal.php - http://www.tribe13.de/trash-metal.php

The title is Trash Metal, but throughout the text "Thrash Metal" is used.

IT IS JUST A TYPO!

BTW: I think that the album Tormato should be renamed to Tomato ... 36,900 vs. 7,500,000.

Before you go on with this, you might want to consider that Trash Metal is not only used (wrongly) as a label for a music genre, but also for scrap metal, metal trash cans etc. ... and generally "Trash" is a more often used word than "Thrash", so it's obvious that the word will produce more results in search engines.

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 06:24
OK I`m confused now

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 10:36
Originally posted by the stranger the stranger wrote:

I haven't seen much doom bands on the topic. It seems that all people focus more on thrash, death & black. And doom can also get pretty extreme. Some doom bands get really heavy. Heavy as thrash, black or death. Just check out:
Sunn O)))
Esoteric
Khanate
Bunkur
Burning Witch
Skepticism
Evoken
Thergothon
Boris
Earth
Goatsnake
Moss
Hierophant
Catacombs
Torture Wheel

Now on less heavy doom, this bands are great:
Shape of Despair
Somnium Mortuum
Avrigus
Estatic Fear
Ras Algethi
As Divine Grace
Chalice
Dawn of Dreams
Draconian
How Like A Winter
(Early)Lacrimas Profundere
(Earky)Katatonia
(Early)Anathema
Virgin Black
Silentium
Silent Cry

And the doom Juggernaut:
MY DYING BRIDE

I'm only familiar with about half the first list and hardly any of the second, but I like all I've heard except Katatonia, even newer Anathema.

Posted By: Interbeing
Date Posted: September 04 2005 at 08:36
these will be mostly black metal blacks - but hear are my favourites.

Summoning
countess
twilight
velvet cacoon
Nokturnal Mortum
mystic forest
kreig
Xasthur
Bael
Epheles
Skaur

Posted By: ShaunoNoNo
Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:40

Immortal
Immolation
Nile
Gorguts
In Flames (extreme?)
Thyrfing
Decapitated
Bolt Thrower
Depresy
Disincarnate
Kataklysm
Heathen
Malevolant Creation
Covenant
Susperia
Morbid Angel
Lykathea Aflame
Converge

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 17:16

MESHUGGAH

One of World's top 3 heaviest/brutal metal bands, ever!!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Gentle Ronnie
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 07:05

These days? More like, 10*365 days ago.

-------------

Posted By: Zarquino
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 07:23
Nowdays I like groups like Arcturus, Stravaganzza,Borknagar,  new Vintersorg, After Forever, Necrophagist, Soledfal, Confessor (their condemned is awesome), Desultory and Quo Vadis.

If anyone has heard stravagazza I tell again. They're the greatest spanish band, so...:D

Bye!

-------------
There's nothing left to loose

Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 18:57
Originally posted by Gentle Ronnie Gentle Ronnie wrote:

Yeah, nowadays the underground is surprisingly the strongest in the east, Russia and Ukraine have a lot of great bands, like Hate Forest, Drudkh and also in France and Germany, with Deathspell Omega, Katharsis etc. Black metal is still going strong.

Posted By: spo1977
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 23:32

I prefer them to Venom. Reign in Blood all the way through Divine Intervention were great. They used to be one of my favorites but I have lost interest.

Posted By: spo1977
Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 23:53

Please do not consider this a troll post but... How is it possibel to label every single band? Some groups reinvented themselves every single album.  Sometimes people say a band with 10 albums is not prog because they have heard one of their albums. 

Slayer is a speed metal band or a thrash metal band or both. There vocalist does not sound like the singer of Opeth or Cannibal Corpse so no, they are not death metal. And I say that with Divine Intervention being the last Slayer I have heard. Look I am a hypocrite.

I think my favorite thrash band is Sodom. From Better Off Dead - Code Red they have been awesome thrash.

Forget In Flames, Dark Tranqulity, and Gothenberg in General. Coroner were the best technical death thrash band ever. I like Grin, Mental Vortex and No More Color.

Rage
was speed and thrash but maybe (depending on opinion) at one point in their career became symphonic prog metal, see Lingua Mortis, XIII and Ghosts. I do like Black in Mind, Perfect Man, Secrets in a Weird World, The Missing Link and Trapped. I do think these fit more in the speed thrash label.

Mekong Delta started out as speed and thrash with progressive touches, but eventually became almost prog rock. Maybe they were just metal, but their last two release were not speed thrash.

I hope I do not seem like a jerk, but can you see my point about labeling?

Posted By: Gentle Ronnie
Date Posted: December 18 2005 at 07:21

Yeah, nowadays the underground is surprisingly the strongest in the east, Russia and Ukraine have a lot of great bands, like Hate Forest, Drudkh and also in France and Germany, with Deathspell Omega, Katharsis etc. Black metal is still going strong.

I need to hear more of these bands. Drudkh definitely are lovely though.

-------------

Date Posted: December 18 2005 at 08:52

I need to hear more of these bands. Drudkh definitely are lovely though.

Hell yeah.

Deathspell Omega is probably the best modern BM band, not just because their music is highly innovative but also because the lyrics on their latest album, Si Monumentum Requices Circumspice are very intelligent and thought-provoking. One might even call it a concept album -> prog

Posted By: Rosescar
Date Posted: December 18 2005 at 13:45
Pantera. It's the only 'metal' I listen to.

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: December 18 2005 at 14:37

http://inm.necrobation.org/ - http://inm.necrobation.org/

These guys are as extreme as they get...

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: Heraclea
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 13:44
I am very surprised that no one has mentioned either of these two bands yet:

Sportlov -black metal with winter sports/holiday themes. The song "Snöbollskrieg" has such great lyrics. Of course, you have to be able to understand Swedish, but what the heck...

Ninja Magic -It's ninja speed metal. 'nuff said.

Also, the song Bullet's Breath by Iniquity deserves a mention. I bow to everyone who can hear what they sing about without seeing the text. (Hell, I'll bow to anyone who can hear it with the text).

Posted By: Cygnus X-1
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 14:00
I listen to Slayer now and again.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bodins/?chartstyle=DarkSide5Big">

Posted By: ulver982
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 23:14

Some of my favorite bands and albums that I particularly like from them...

Abyssos - Fhisthanian Nightbreed

Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom) and Opus IV

Windir - Soknardalr

...And Oceans - A.M.G.O.D.

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

early Katatonia - Dance of December Souls <--I listented to this album weeks on end when I first got it, it's awesome!  I still love the all the new Katatonia material.

early Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast and For All Tid

Taake - Nattestid Ser Porten Vid

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Fall of the Leafe - August Wernicke

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter

Solefald - Neonism

Moonspell - Wolfheart

My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River

Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers

Sear Bliss - The Haunting

Summoning - Stronghold

Burzum - Filosofem

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

oh and Bal-Sagoth - The Power Cosmic 

-------------
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.

Posted By: Badabec
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 14:30
I like following metal bands a bit:

1.) Soulfly

2.) Sepultura

3.) Ektomorf

I really like Opeth, it is very good music.

I don't like

Six Feet Under

and

Cannibal Corpse.

Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 16:21

I don't know how accurate this is, but what seriously turns me off from the Eastern European black metal scene is that they really seem to be into the racist ideas of the original black metal chaps . So they can piss off . (NB I'm not at all saying that every group is racist, or even most groups, but even so...)

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 17:05
I like Necrophagist and Origin a little bit.  Extreme Metal fans are usually very cool people.  Well Extreme Death Metal fans, I don't really like Old School Death Metal or Black Metal fans.

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 21:09

no further questions or comments... PROGRESSIVE DEATH METAL at its best...

Posted By: Erotomania
Date Posted: January 18 2006 at 22:12
progressive death metal is really interesting, such as death, opeth or cynic..i can only stand one black metal, and i really dont like it, but its not disgusting to me, which is marduk...as you can see the extreme metal is not my favorite genre...

-------------
Step after step,
We try controlling our fate,
When we finally start living
it's become too late...

Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 06:56
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

I don't know how accurate this is, but what seriously turns me off from the Eastern European black metal scene is that they really seem to be into the racist ideas of the original black metal chaps . So they can piss off . (NB I'm not at all saying that every group is racist, or even most groups, but even so...)

Doesn't bother me that much. Sure, some of them are pure racist idiots, but Slavonic paganism, nature and Anti-judeo-christianity seem to be the main topics in their songs.

The rather strong nationalist ideologies in Eastern Europe seem quite natural to me. Remember; the Iron Curtain was over Eastern Europe for a long time.

Posted By: ColonelClaypool
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 07:24
My favourites, in no particular order:

Windir - everything in their catalogue. RIP Valfar.

Enslaved - Eld, Mardraum, ISA, Monumension, Below The Lights

Opeth - everything in their catalogue, My Arms Your Hearse perhaps being my favourite.

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale, Sideshow Symphonies

Rakoth - Planeshift. Russian band with flute(!)

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines, Black Seeds of Vengeance, Annihilation of the Wicked

Old Man's Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion, Revelation 666

Thorns - Thorns, Thorns vs Emperor

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter

Akercocke - Choronzon

Behemoth - Thelema 6

Other bands I listen to on occasion include Electric Wizard, Ophthalamia, Atrox, Morgul, Bloodbath, Vreid(the new band from the Windir guys), Satyricon etc.

Lots of Norwegian bands. There's a reason why we rule the extreme metal world

-------------
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.

Posted By: Rising Force
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 07:34
The only four extreme metal bands I can say are among my favorite bands are:

Wintersun
Megadeth
Children of Bodom
Cacophony

Slayer, Norther, In Flames, and Pantera are alright, too.

I've also heard plenty of other extreme metal bands, like Emperor, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Testament, King Diamond, Motorhead, and Exodus, and I guess they are cool, but I prefer other genres of music over extreme metal.

Posted By: Xymphony
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 07:54

I used to listen some extreme metal a lot, but i rarely do anymore. I don't know why.

Krisiun - Having a great drummer

Malevolent Creation - father of Vader

Behemoth - Also superb

Biomechanical - Mindblowing thrash-death based extreme prog, try it!

Lock-up - Drummer is Nicholas Barker, what else to say?

Mayhem - Recent highly technical albums esp.

Hypocrisy

etc...

Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 08:12
Originally posted by Xymphony Xymphony wrote:

Mayhem - Recent highly technical albums esp.

They are f**king horrible

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 16:59

Many good bands mentioned in this thread, and black metal bands as well .

Sceptic is a very good Polish technical death metal band, somewhat in the Death vein.

Burning Witch's "Crippled Lucifer" is a little-known doom metal classic.

Suffocation and Immolation are also great.

Can't say the same for Incantation and Malevolent Creation  

Posted By: zaxx
Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 17:02

Here's my top 3 of all time favorites:

Cryptal Darkness - They Whispered You Had Risen

Opeth - Damnation

Therion - Sirius B

Date Posted: January 19 2006 at 21:13

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Doesn't bother me that much. Sure, some of them are pure racist idiots, but Slavonic paganism, nature and Anti-judeo-christianity seem to be the main topics in their songs.

The rather strong nationalist ideologies in Eastern Europe seem quite natural to me. Remember; the Iron Curtain was over Eastern Europe for a long time.
I think reactionary nationalism (in fact anything suchlike that comes as a reaction to something else) has much more potential to overstep the mark, for me anyway.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: January 21 2006 at 13:44

I'm going to sum all my thoughts from everything I have seen here:

1. Slayer are indeed a thrash metal band ...Mike

2. Trash metal is not used anywhere instead of Thrash Metal

3. I'm much more into heavy/thrash/power metal because when I was 12, I didnt know who Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis etc. were (I know thats an offence) but I certainly did know who Metallica, Maiden, Anthrax, Annihilator, Sepultura etc. were... dont blame me

4. Favourite bands (not classic): My dying bride, Paradise lost (-1995), In flames, At the gates, The haunted, Annihilator, Nevermore, and Psychotic Waltz (oups...sorry thats prog )

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk