Print Page | Close Window

Comedy of Errors - Best Find 2013!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96700
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 14:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Comedy of Errors - Best Find 2013!
Posted By: M27Barney
Subject: Comedy of Errors - Best Find 2013!
Date Posted: January 13 2014 at 08:50
I have just been blown away by "Fanfare & Fantasy" - so I immediately ordered the first CD. (Hasn't arrived as yet).
Who else is appreciative of this sublime CD?

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 13 2014 at 08:53
It's absolutely a good one. I find the opening track a bit boring, but I tend to forget this soon after hearing the other tracks.

-------------

Date Posted: January 13 2014 at 09:01
It is possibly the worse track on the CD, but I still like it! Track two was what hooked me on first spin - I just freaked when I heard the instrumental break.....

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 13 2014 at 09:31
Same here. That first track is soporific, but the rest isn't too bad. I will have to get round to reviewing it soon.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 13 2014 at 12:14
Love the album !! Just listened to this one last night and it always impresses. A high quality work indeed.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 13 2014 at 16:39
Never quite brought myself to press the button on it .The samples I've heard don't inspire. Sound Of Contact -Dimensionaut was easily my best of find of 2013 in terms of a band I hadn't heard before.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 13 2014 at 17:34
Wow, this was the absolute letdown of 2013 for me!

I think it's the most wishy-washy, squeeky cleen album of the year for me. Too many `pleasant' vocal sections really get under my skin too.

There's been far better Neo albums throughout the year for me as well, either Flamborough Head's `Lost In Time' or Clive Nolan's `Alchemy' (although that's not really a pure Neo album) wipe the floor with it.

I cannot for the life of me work out why it's impressed everyone so much, but at the same time, I'm glad other people have enjoyed it a lot more than me.

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 03:17
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Wow, this was the absolute letdown of 2013 for me!

I think it's the most wishy-washy, squeeky cleen album of the year for me. Too many `pleasant' vocal sections really get under my skin too.

There's been far better Neo albums throughout the year for me as well, either Flamborough Head's `Lost In Time' or Clive Nolan's `Alchemy' (although that's not really a pure Neo album) wipe the floor with it.

I cannot for the life of me work out why it's impressed everyone so much, but at the same time, I'm glad other people have enjoyed it a lot more than me.

I will have to find those on the web and give them ear-time before I can comment - they must be bloody good to be better than the COE, or maybe it's just a difference in taste.

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 03:29
Truth be told, Barney, I'm a little harsh in my opinion of that new CoE. Many people on here who's opinion usually mirror my own have really enjoyed it very much.

It's true it doesn't do a lot for me, and the first track in particular really does turn my stomach, but there's better stuff after that. It's all well played and very melodic, but I think I prefer something a little more demanding. I tink one of my personal hang-ups about it is that I wish there were longer instrumental sections, so much of it is vocal driven.

Anyway, I know many others will spring to it's defence! I know I'm in the minority not enjoying it as much. Having said that, I won't be getting rid of the CD, I don't dislike it to that extent!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 04:08
^I feel almost exactly like you do Michael, and am quite frankly surprised not to see more fans chiming in. I mean this album skyrocketed our chart with one raving review after the other, but maybe most of the frontpage people never visit the dark side of the moon? I'm not entirely sure.
For me personally, I find this album to be a prime example of what I'd like to call "dad-prog": keyboard and guitar solos in all the usual places and a strong Genesis/Marillion vibe running through everything. It's very well done, but I get no sense of enjoyment out of it. Sorry fansEmbarrassed For what it's worth, I feel just like Michael - meaning I'm glad folks are getting into these guys.....I'm just not one of them.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 05:39
^ H'mmm - Dad-prog That's another genre to add and maybe the sub-genre - old/farts/with/beards.....?
I suppose that melodic and cheerful prog (it is a surprisingly uplifting style of singing I feel) won't be at all appetising for those of you who like the dischord and death growling and the plink/plink/ting/screeech of the artist who thought it would be good to throw a cat with wires attached to it (so 100 volts can be sporadically applied) into a piano - and record the resulting cacophony - experimental I think that's called....

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 06:10
LOL
Even if I despise death growls....and being experimental for the sake of just that.
Hell I rather like a fair few 'melodic prog' acts out there - stuff like Phideaux, Syd Arthur and I and Thou to a lesser extent. 
I have pretty eclectic tastes and, really, no rules applied to them, I just know what I like is all. Michael mentioned this one as being too polite, which is a good description for me as well.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 06:44
"Too Polite Prog"...another sub-genre?? I'm not usually a big fan of vocals or lyrics as a rule - but the COE singing and vocal melodies immediately attracted me...You may have a point - as I am a dad (of sons, 19 and 23) and I like prog..and I like COE - so it may just be the correct genre! - What else is dad/prog - suppose Genesis/Yes/Camel and more lately Pendragon/Marillion/IQ/Twelfth Night/Pallas ??

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 06:53
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

"Too Polite Prog"...another sub-genre?? I'm not usually a big fan of vocals or lyrics as a rule - but the COE singing and vocal melodies immediately attracted me...You may have a point - as I am a dad (of sons, 19 and 23) and I like prog..and I like COE - so it may just be the correct genre! - What else is dad/prog - suppose Genesis/Yes/Camel and more lately Pendragon/Marillion/IQ/Twelfth Night/Pallas ??

Well mostly I'm referring to the sound I get from T, Pendragon(yes), CoE, Haken, Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and the likes, where I personally feel like I'm listening to prog created from a recipe. Sorry, I know you're a big fan of a lot of these, and I certainly don't mean to belittle other folks' tastes, I just can't get into them.
All the other acts you mention are/were brilliant acts who all had something to say on their own (don't know Twelfth Night or Pallas though) and are furthermore among my favourites. I've never thought of early Marillion, nor IQ for that matter, as Genesis rip offs like some do. Either way, none of these are "dad-prog" to my ears. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: The Glide
Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 06:59
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Same here. That first track is soporific, but the rest isn't too bad. I will have to get round to reviewing it soon.

This album wasn't love at first, might also have something to do with the first track, but damn the instrumental stuff on this one!
Great album!

-------------
I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 07:36
Just because of the Internet I'm getting to know the newer prog bands, and some tracks I enjoyed from this album. However, I'd like to understand why it's happening to me also with quite a few other songs from quite a few  other bands which I have a strange feeling that a series of melody fragments (even catchy ones) follow one another without an identifying structure. Would that be because of the old prog I was used to listen  ? Marillion (Fish-era) was one of the first prog bands I knew in the 80s' (thnaks to friends), enjoyed it but always focused on the more instrumental and less vocal pieces, sometimes feeling boring the excessive emphasis in Fish's vocals and lyrics. The same I feel with tihs album from CoE, but I think the band has a good talent to be more explored on the next albums.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 08:35
Aye, I feel that if they decided to be more "bombastic" and self-indulgent they could produce their equivalent of Tales From Topographic Oceans, Garden of Dreams (Flower Kings), or even Subterranea (IQ)...
I hope that the next CD is a double thus giving them to explore the possibility of a 160 minute epic.....

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 08:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well mostly I'm referring to the sound I get from T, Pendragon(yes), CoE, Haken, Flower Kings, Spock's Beard and the likes, where I personally feel like I'm listening to prog created from a recipe. Sorry, I know you're a big fan of a lot of these, and I certainly don't mean to belittle other folks' tastes, I just can't get into them.
All the other acts you mention are/were brilliant acts who all had something to say on their own, and are furthermore among my favourites. I've never thought of early Marillion, nor IQ for that matter, as Genesis rip offs like some do. Either way, none of these are "dad-prog" to my ears. 

You are referring to the "Prog by numbers" descriptive....You will upset a lot of symphonic prog fans by dismissing it all as if it was "Prog by recipe"...What is T by the way? (Transatlantic?)

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 08:47

All the other acts you mention are/were brilliant acts who all had something to say on their own, and are furthermore among my favourites. I've never thought of early Marillion, nor IQ for that matter, as Genesis rip offs like some do. Either way, none of these are "dad-prog" to my ears. 

You are referring to the "Prog by numbers" descriptive....You will upset a lot of symphonic prog fans by dismissing it all as if it was "Prog by recipe"...What is T by the way? (Transatlantic?)

I try not to be dismissive of any music, but what I've heard from either of these bands have failed to grab me in any way, and it's not like I don't enjoy symphonic styled music. Like I said, I love Genesis, Yes, Camel, Marillion, IQ and a truckload of other artists including a fair deal of French and English acts. I just can't seem to get into most modern styled symph bands for whatever reason. 

T is a German one-man band, who did a 2013 album called Psychoanorexia that got a lot of positive mentions both on the frontpage as well as on the fora. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 08:57

I try not to be dismissive of any music, but what I've heard from either of these bands have failed to grab me in any way, and it's not like I don't enjoy symphonic styled music. Like I said, I love Genesis, Yes, Camel, Marillion, IQ and a truckload of other artists including a fair deal of French and English acts. I just can't seem to get into most modern styled symph bands for whatever reason. 

T is a German one-man band, who did a 2013 album called Psychoanorexia that got a lot of positive mentions both on the frontpage as well as on the fora. 
I've seen enough of your posts in the What Are You Listening to Now? thread to know that the music has to be "weird" in order for it to appeal to you.  For lack of a better term, I guess that we would have to term what you enjoy listening to as Son Prog. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 09:01
LOL

You're probably right Scott. I think I overdosed on a lot of symph when I first got into prog, which is why it's very seldom you see me posting Yes/Genesis covers nowadays.

...........'Son prog'LOL I love it! 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 09:46
"Dad-prog" , that's perfect, it's absolutly my cup of tea. Or in my case should I call it mum-prog? LOL
And I really like that Comedy of Errors album. Q.E.D.

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:15
Well I can see that the CoE CD is clearly a "Marmite" CD.

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:17
LOL 
Either you love it or you hate it, I'm guessing? (I'm Danish so some of these Brit expressions do have a tendency to fly beneath the radar)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:28

LOL 

Either you love it or you hate it, I'm guessing? (I'm Danish so some of these Brit expressions do have a tendency to fly beneath the radar)

AYE - welcome to the world of English colloquialisms , English spoken by so many people and yet the living language is diversifying from "The queens English" at a frightening rate. I had a look at your review list - and it is safe to say that I haven't listened to 99.9% of the CD's that you have rated - so we can see that our taste is definitely NOT CONVERGANT - However - I can see from your signature - that you are a fan of Douglas Adams - One of my favourite authors and in fact I have read ALL of his output!!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:32

LOL 

AYE - welcome to the world of English colloquialisms , English spoken by so many people and yet the living language is diversifying from "The queens English" at a frightening rate. I had a look at your review list - and it is safe to say that I haven't listened to 99.9% of the CD's that you have rated - so we can see that our taste is definitely NOT CONVERGANT - However - I can see from your signature - that you are a fan of Douglas Adams - One of my favourite authors and in fact I have read ALL of his output!!!

Handshake Nice to meet you Barney.

....and don't worry if you don't know anything from my review list - I do have a vast collection of prog classics. I just find that it's far more interesting for me, and the folks reading - when I focus on albums with little or nothing written about them.

Huuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Douglas Adams, yet as much as I love the Hitch-hiker's series, it's the Dirk Gently novels that really do it for me. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:37
Aye - the holistic detective, is his finest creation ! It has been some time since I read those, I am currently in "reference" book mode, and may well enter "novel" mode when I go on holiday later in the year!!
My prog collection is mainly symphonic in origin although I do have a large collection of metal/prog metal/classical CD's also. Do you read in Danish or English? I am very conscious of my English outlook and I am very jealous of everybody who is bi or even tri-lingual !!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 14 2014 at 10:52
Heh my collection is all over the place, genre-wise that is. Everything from Genesis and Cressida to Comus, Amon Düül ll and Trance/Jazz/you name it.

As for my reading habits: I tend to go for the original lingo and can't really imagine reading Adams, Huxley, Kerouac or Orwell in Danish. Other languages where I don't need the Danish translation would be Swedish, Norwegian and to a far lesser extent French, but then again it might take me months to finish a book.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 11:50
Barney, have you heard the debut Lifesigns album yet?  If not, it is some more "dad-prog" that you might be able to sink your ears into.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 12:45
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Barney, have you heard the debut Lifesigns album yet?  If not, it is some more "dad-prog" that you might be able to sink your ears into.

Aye - I bought it and gave it a spin - I think that a couple of tracks stood out - may have listened in the wrong mood-oid, so it looks like I'll have to re-spin - I think the sobriquet "Dad-prog" is going to be a label that will be given to every CD I LIKE
They'll be saying "There's that Barney loon from England - loving another dose of dad-prog!"...
I still have the Airbag to spin - I thought that it was very solid - Floyd like and a chill-out CD....

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:02

Aye - I bought it and gave it a spin - I think that a couple of tracks stood out - may have listened in the wrong mood-oid, so it looks like I'll have to re-spin - I think the sobriquet "Dad-prog" is going to be a label that will be given to every CD I LIKE
They'll be saying "There's that Barney loon from England - loving another dose of dad-prog!"...
I still have the Airbag to spin - I thought that it was very solid - Floyd like and a chill-out CD....
I know that you don't like saxophone, but I can't recall your stance on flutes.  The Lifesigns album does seem to have a healthy dose of flute on it, which I believe are provided by Focus' Thijs van Leer.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:18

I know that you don't like saxophone, but I can't recall your stance on flutes.  The Lifesigns album does seem to have a healthy dose of flute on it, which I believe are provided by Focus' Thijs van Leer.

I like Flute , think it was a "Special interest" video with Mary Millington - who was a young flautist being shown the alternative use of the flute that showed me it's true versatility !!!
Anyway - I was just re-organising my CD collection - to make way for my new CD's - lo and behold - I have found a Shadow Circus CD that I didn't even know I had !!! (I got their latest CD at solstice!) so that's another I'll have to spin - Friay Night - I'll spin the life-signs and the CD I've just found !! - Serendipity INDEED !!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:21

I like Flute , think it was a "Special interest" video with Mary Millington - who was a young flautist being shown the alternative use of the flute that showed me it's true versatility !!!
Anyway - I was just re-organising my CD collection - to make way for my new CD's - lo and behold - I have found a Shadow Circus CD that I didn't even know I had !!! (I got their latest CD at solstice!) so that's another I'll have to spin - Friay Night - I'll spin the life-signs and the CD I've just found !! - Serendipity INDEED !!!
Clap for Shadow Circus. 

It took me a second read to get where I think you were going with your "special interest" video.  I was somewhat slow on the uptake there.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2014 at 13:27
Aye - My "dads-dvd's" collection used to be in a different order quite often - my son's borrowing them and not putting them back into the correct slot (I'm a bit of an alphabetical order freakoid!!!) - I have nothing too outrageous - just the sort of DVD's that have no men, it gets hot and very soon all the young ladies are as naked as the day they were born and are very interested in some serious primate grooming behaviour

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:29

Heh my collection is all over the place, genre-wise that is. Everything from Genesis and Cressida to Comus, Amon Düül ll and Trance/Jazz/you name it.

As for my reading habits: I tend to go for the original lingo and can't really imagine reading Adams, Huxley, Kerouac or Orwell in Danish. Other languages where I don't need the Danish translation would be Swedish, Norwegian and to a far lesser extent French, but then again it might take me months to finish a book.

What do you think of Terry Pratchett? Another of my favourite authors!

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:36

What do you think of Terry Pratchett? Another of my favourite authors!

Well you've got me there. I've never read any of his stuffEmbarrassed

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:45
Well - if you like Douglas Adams then I'm fairly certain you'll find the disc-world novels by Terry Pratchett - fascinating - thay are about a disc world that floats through space on the back of four huge elephants that stand on the back of a giant turtle - swimming though space !! that's based on a true story about an astro-physicist who was harangued by a old woman who insisted that the giant turtle did in fact exist and his big-bang theory was poppy-cock !!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:49
LOL I think I've heard the story about the old woman on QI actually. The turtle supposedly stands on another turtle and so it goes....
This sounds like something I would love, thanks a billion!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:52

LOL I think I've heard the story about the old woman on QI actually. The turtle supposedly stands on another turtle and so it goes....

This sounds like something I would love, thanks a billion!

There are a lot to chose from....The first one is called "The colour of Magic"....enjoy...
aye that's right - "It's turtles all the way down" she said...hohoho

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:57
LOL Just found this image

Alright that's enough of me, I'll let you guys get back to Comedy of ErrorsCool

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 23 2014 at 15:45
playing at Riffs in my home town of Swindon on March 29th apparently according to Darren Reddick on Planet Rock radio and this link sort of suggests it

http://www.swindonweb.com/event/?m=40&c=2659&v=&em=" rel="nofollow - http://www.swindonweb.com/event/?m=40&c=2659&v=&em=

although no mention of a date

is there anything on Comedy Of Errors website about it though? Ermm no.Embarrassed

Date Posted: January 24 2014 at 07:51
Aha - I have their first CD, Disobey - and it has an Epic - Whooooo....
That will be straight on my CD player tonight....
Magic our Morris !!!

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 16:23
I have just reviewed, Fanfare & Fantasy - Great CD.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk