Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 12:04
He strikes again!

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 14:20
That's hilarious 

Posted By: TQ
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 17:47
Daevid Allen - my hero since about 1984. And I saw the revitalised Gong last year with STEVE HILLAGE! Never thought I would see the day.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 18:49
These are great. Planet Gong indeed. Am I wrong in that this makes me hungry? Now, off to the pub and I'll be sure to drink a pint in honor of Mr. Philpott et. all.   

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 23:48
Hi,

Nice. Super nice. 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: March 23 2014 at 18:35
Oh man that's simply too good

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Date Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:57
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

Oh man that's simply too good

I don't think these fools realize that sometimes the folks they are trying to insult, are actually realy intelligent musicians that do know, and have a pretty damn good idea of what they are doing, and sometimes even why!

But writing to Daevid, who is extremelly literate unlike these 2 folks, is silly, bizarre and stupid!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 25 2014 at 19:15
Off topic but some of you guys might enjoy this -  http://www.amazon.com/Lazlo-Letters-Don-Novello/dp/1563052857/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395792854&sr=1-1&keywords=the+lazlo+letters" rel="nofollow - http://www.amazon.com/Lazlo-Letters-Don-Novello/dp/1563052857/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395792854&sr=1-1&keywords=the+lazlo+letters

In letters to stars, dignitaries, and chairmen of the country's most powerful organizations, Don Novello's alter ego Lazlo Toth pestered his victims for photographs, offered outlandish advice, fired off strange inquiries, and more. The strangest part? Practically everyone answered, leaving Toth with a hilarious collection of outlandish correspondence unmatched in the history of American letters.

The Lazlo Letters contains nearly 100 notes to public figures, including then-President Nixon, Vice President Ford ("I've been Vice President of a lot of organizations myself, so I know how you feel."), Bebe Rebozo, Lester Maddox, Earl Butz, and America's top business leaders. The replies, says the author, "classic examples of American politeness."

In an on-going correspondence with the White House, Toth suggests everything from ridiculously corny jokes for the President to use, to a campaign song sung to the tune of "Tea for Two." He asks the president of a bubble bath company just how to use the product, as the packaging instructions specifically state to "keep dry."

"No matter how absurd my letter was, no matter how much I ranted and raved, they always answered," reports the author. "Many of these replies are beautiful examples of pure public relations nonsense." One is not: columnist James Kilpatrick has a lone sentiment for Toth-"Nuts to You!" 247,000 copies in print

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: April 01 2014 at 12:19
I was offended on the night one of my musician friends gave Daevid Allen a ride home. Gong were performing in Philadelphia and Daevid Allen needed a ride back to N.Y. When he first sat in the car...he pointed at the dashboard said something like "Oh, look at all the wonderful universal dials" He then talked about himself..his current activities and discussed the Planet Gong mythology with my friend for the entire drive. The next day I get this "earfull" of complaining regarding how Daevid Allen refused to discuss my friend's music and just talked about himself. I thought my friend was a punk degenerate who misunderstood Gong, who discovered them 10 years too late, disrespected the genre due to that experience, and wasn't willing to visualize a music scene around Gong that developed followers. Most of us would have entertained the idea of hearing Daevid Allen discuss the mythology. Those of us who grew up on the music of Gong would have fine memories of the experience. People who did not experience the scene often are jaded with the fact that it could have actually meant something to poetry and music. It's a reasonable percentage of people in society who feel this way about Daevid Allen and Gong...yet they buy the their cd's.

Date Posted: April 07 2014 at 10:41
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I was offended on the night one of my musician friends gave Daevid Allen a ride home.

David spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara at one of our friend's house, and even did what I think (I think) was his first Divided Alien show while he was there. I have never seen him angry, or in a selfie like mode, and have always enjoyed yapping with him, serious or not!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: April 07 2014 at 11:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I was offended on the night one of my musician friends gave Daevid Allen a ride home.

David spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara at one of our friend's house, and even did what I think (I think) was his first Divided Alien show while he was there. I have never seen him angry, or in a selfie like mode, and have always enjoyed yapping with him, serious or not!
Pardon my rant, it's just plain ignorant to react the way my friend did with Daevid Allen. I have been a huge fan of Gong since 73'. , collected just about everything on LP and in the digital age...cd's and being a devoted follower, pardon my ignorance...but it's difficult for me to digest my friend's position.

Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 09:29

Pardon my rant, it's just plain ignorant to react the way my friend did with Daevid Allen. I have been a huge fan of Gong since 73'. , collected just about everything on LP and in the digital age...cd's and being a devoted follower, pardon my ignorance...but it's difficult for me to digest my friend's position.

No worries.

I had a precedent here, though, that most folks here in PA can not relate to, and do not agree with.

As a kid I got to see many literary dignitaries and what not, say things at home, as dad was getting some more information for being able to translate it into Portuguese. These included Hemingway telling American Publishers to get f_____, Faulkner vacillating over which part of the translation he thought would better fit, Elliot joking about everything you could think of and ignoring the translation or its meaning (how appropriate!), and Huxley spending his time playing with the kids!

It was not surprising to me, anything that a rock musician did! Not to mention that I still regarded the literary folks with higher regard than most rock musicians, at the time, though as of today, many of the rock musicians we love I regard with the same attitude and appreciation as any of the grand-folks out there. To me this is the modern "literature", but we don't know how to credit it, because we haven't read it or studied it. And today we're so enfatuated with "fan-dom" and top ten, that they can not possibly see that those people are also ... PEOPLE! That react, love and hate, and whatnot, no different than you and I. They still have to go pee and poop as Jean Genet would say.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk