Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97090
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 22:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Was 2013 really that good?
Posted By: javajeff
Subject: Was 2013 really that good?
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 18:58
We have a top 100 where just about everything is 3.90 or better, and 72 have a 4.00 or better.  Aside from the top 10, was 2013 really that good?  We have ratings of new music that seems a little too good.

Replies:
Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:11
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

We have a top 100 where just about everything is 3.90 or better, and 72 have a 4.00 or better.  Aside from the top 10, was 2013 really that good?  We have ratings of new music that seems a little too good.

I don't understand? Should the ratings be a little worser?

-------------

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:11
In terms of prog, I've only heard Hubardo, so idk, but I think it had it's fair share of good releases

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:12
Well apparently it was.
Part of the problem is people hyper rating albums methinks, and sorry for being a little blunt here, but I find it kinda funny to see you starting a thread like this. You just awarded the new Transatlantic with 4 stars (a very high rating) while at the same time you feel it lacks "the magic". See the problem?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:14
I never heard of the term hyper rating before, but it fits.  Also, the site lacks the half stars, so that could be a problem skewing the releases.  I tend to rate stuff I like higher because I do not have that half star option.

I did edit my review of Transatlantic since I am listening to it at the moment.  It is good, but just not as good as Bridge Across Forever.   I did start out by saying I do not think they created anything below 4 stars.

Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:27
I think people forget that 3 stars means a good album.
Also, if you check the most popular artists inside the last 24 hours, it is almost always artists who've received either a 4 or 5 star write up. Perhaps folks are under the impression that anything less than that is futile to investigate their time in. Sad really...

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:37
Well, I don't even have time to listen to my collection as it is.  I listen to multiple genres, and just about every sub genre of prog.  Then there is the cost of buying everything.  I try to stick to the best of the best, along with my personal favorites.

Posted By: Gallifrey
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:46
No it wasn't.

Good music was there, but as a whole 2012 was infinitely better. Probably the weakest year of the past decade IMO

-------------
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:46
I should probably throw in a few negative/mixed reviews. I usually don't feel those albums are worth reviewing, but if high ratings are so much of a problem...

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 19:57
Yes, to me it was.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 20:19
Was 2013 really that good? Short answer, yes.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 23:08
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

i've always seen three as just good enough to be worth a listen

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 23:12
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

No it wasn't.

Good music was there, but as a whole 2012 was infinitely better. Probably the weakest year of the past decade IMO

Absolutely agree.

2012 was surprisingly good, 2013 was mediocre at the best.

IMO the ratings are increasing because the band members and fans of the bands come here to rate the albums more than ever

Iván

-------------

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: February 08 2014 at 23:21
2013 had Ulver's Messe. That alone, 'The Raven That Refused to Sing' aside, is a good reason to call 2013 an excellent year. And don't forget Leprous, Wisdom of Crowds, Leafblade, Sand, Orphaned Land etc.

The only 2013 album that was kinda disappointing for me was Shining's 'One One One'. I really didn't expected a pop record from guys who tried everything from jazz to post-rock to industrial to black-metal.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 01:01

You tell us. We can't make up your mind. Tongue

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 01:09
To me stars are only an eye-catcher. Thumbs up and thumbs down should be enough, but people loves numbers.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 01:13
^ Agreed--  ratings should probably be abolished.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 01:22
2013 was great year.

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 02:10
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

2013 was great year.

I've got the same feeling. I bought about 40 albums of progressive/alternative/post-rock which are very good. Smile

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 02:42
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

2013 was great year.

I've got the same feeling. I bought about 40 albums of progressive/alternative/post-rock which are very good. Smile
I got a hunch that this year is gonna be also great.
Actually, this year already has started extremely well. 
Whether folks gonna recognize the quality of these great debuts by new bands soon or later, it doesn't matter Wink

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 02:59
I think we will know exactly how good 2013 was in another year. The average ratings are slowly decreasing as people who have never heard of or show no loyalties to said band are buying albums due to their star rating. 2013 gave me 2 full-blown masterpieces in The Raven and Hubardo. I haven't tried a lot of the other 2013 releases, but those that I have tried have been mostly average.   

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 05:49
I think it's all down to how much time one wishes to invest in pursuing new music. There is so much out there that it'll take years just to update oneself with 2013. Sure this is also very much dependant on people's will to try something new. I think there are those who judge a year based almost entirely on what their fave artists put out. So if Wilson, Star Trek Moustache and Tulip Royals all released something they felt was below par, well hey presto it was a bad year.
If you experience a year of constant searching, I am almost certain you'll hear the fruits of your labour.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 06:39
2013 was a great year, probably the best since 1976 or 1977 (in my book). Of the 47 or 48 albums I have heard, I count five masterpieces and another 14 or 15 4-star albums.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 06:44
I only have 19 of the top 100 from 2013, so maybe I am not the person to ask.  Does anyone own more than that?  I also bought non prog like Elvis Costello and the Roots that I thought was excellent.  2013 was a good year.  I just think our top 100 was looking a little inflated.  There are maybe 5 or so on our top 100 that I may still get in the future.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 08:08
Well I spent about half of the year unemployed, so it kind of sucked.  Also my 19 year old cat died.  Getting back to work wasn't so bad though...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 08:33
it was a good year, but not much better than 2012, 2011, or 2010.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 08:54
My top 5's for the last four years

Guapo - History Of The Visitation
Mirthkon - Snack(s)
Miriodor - Cobra Fakir
Blue Cranes - Swim
Unit Wail - Retort

Thinking Plague - Decline & Fall
3 Mice - Send Me A Postcard
Nik Bartch Ronin - Live
Corima – Quetzalcoatl
Elephant9 – Atlantis

Ske - 1000 Autunni
Nerve Institute - Architects of Flesh-Density
Arteria - Cuatro Visiones
Scherzoo - 01
Dave Willey - Immeasurable Currents

Pikapika Teart - Moonberry
Uz Jsme Doma - Caves
Yugen - Iridule
Vezhlivyi Otkaz - Gusi-Lebedi
Univers Zero - Clivages

I'd rate 2013 as comparable to 2012 & 2011 but 2010 was a fantastic year for me and stands head & shoulders above other recent years.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: progrockdeepcuts
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 09:27
Some favorites from 2013:

The Aristocrats: Culture Clash
Chrome Hoof: Chrome Black Gold
Djam Karet: The Trip
Five Storey Ensemble: Not That City
Guapo: History of the Visitation
Herd of Instinct: Conjure
Martin Barre: Away with Words
Mike Keneally: You Must be This Tall
Miriodor: Cobra Fakir
MiRthkon: Snack(s)
simakDialog: The 6th Story
Steven Wilson: The Raven (Predictable, I know)
The Wrong Object: After the Exhibition

Record year for progressive music, in my opinion.

-------------

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 09:47
I'm part of the problem.

I only review something if it's outstanding.  If it's mediocre I don't even bother.

Posted By: Master of Time
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 10:35

No it wasn't.

Definitely agree here. This was a severely disappointing year for me.

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 10:47
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I'm part of the problem.
I only review something if it's outstanding.  If it's mediocre I don't even bother.

Writing a 5 star review is easy, you have plenty of good things to say about it and you want to write that review as a "thank you" to the artist(s). Most people avoid buying stuff they will probably hate (unless you are a dedicated Dream Theater troll or whatever) so 1 star reviews are rare.

I've been cutting my teeth on 2 and 3 star albums recently and its hard work. You really have to concentrate so that the bashing part is constructive and justified, but still give it some praise. So we give 2 or 3 star ratings instead which has 10x less impact than a review. Therefore the system is designed to over-rate things. So I ignore highly rated albums until they have at least 100 ratings, because its entirely false. Take Airbag or Moon Safari's newest albums which skyrocketed up the PA 100 charts, but their final rating was only 3.8-4.0 stars.    

There is no clear solution, but maybe new and overhyped albums should be banned from climbing the PA top 100 until they have been out for 2 months or so? That should minimise albums with 80 ratings and 4.6 average sitting in the top 30. Every time that happens it gives a bad impression to folks who use the PA 100 to find true prog masterpieces. If an underserving album reaches the top 30 (or top 11 which has happened many times!) it causes people to doubt the reliability of the top 100, which is very dangerous for this site.

After 2 months they can climb. The new albums will by then have a fair amount of ratings and if they still exist in the top 100, they at least partially deserve it. Putting a timer on new albums would not be too hard right?

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 11:24

If you experience a year of constant searching, I am almost certain you'll hear the fruits of your labour.

Yes, this I agree with! I'm always searching and always finding something great.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 11:47
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

No it wasn't.

Absolutely agree.

IMO the ratings are increasing because the band members and fans of the bands come here to rate the albums more than ever

Iván
 Tastes are always debatable but 2013 was exceptional in the neo/symph universe!  Mediocre, really  ?  PERHAPS even better than 1973, in certain ways. There were 40 or so outright jewels that I have listed in the collab choices thread.  

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 11:57
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

No it wasn't.

Absolutely agree.

Iván
 Tastes are always debatable but 2013 was exceptional in the neo/symph universe!  Mediocre, really  ?  PERHAPS even better than 1973, in certain ways. There were 40 or so outright jewels that I have listed in the collab choices thread.  

It was great in the avant / zeuhl sphere, too. Progressive music is very alive and very healthy! I agree that the past 10 years have been as good as the heyday of the genre.

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:19
IMO, the new Transatlantic is much better than Bridge Across Forever. Also IMO, 2013 was a really good year for prog. I had a very hard time picking my top 10 of the year.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:31
My favorite album of 2013 was a 1995 album, Cardiacs - Sing To God.  However I got about 10 albums that were newly made last year and I like them all.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:41
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

It was great in the avant / zeuhl sphere, too. Progressive music is very alive and very healthy! I agree that the past 10 years have been as good as the heyday of the genre.

While I feel the scene is as vibrant in the last decade as in the 80's and 90's I'm having a hard time comparing it to the 70's. Well I look at my top 100 albums more than 50 of them are from before 1980.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:42

I think it's all down to how much time one wishes to invest in pursuing new music. There is so much out there that it'll take years just to update oneself with 2013. Sure this is also very much dependant on people's will to try something new. I think there are those who judge a year based almost entirely on what their fave artists put out. So if Wilson, Star Trek Moustache and Tulip Royals all released something they felt was below par, well hey presto it was a bad year.
much exploration
so good music
no money
wow

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:48
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

IMO, the new Transatlantic is much better than Bridge Across Forever. Also IMO, 2013 was a really good year for prog. I had a very hard time picking my top 10 of the year.

I admit it is growing on me.  It is hard to compare something that is a favorite to something that I only listened to 5 times so far.  All Transatlantic is great prog, but Bridge Across Forever just has some unforgettable tracks that make it special.

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 13:04
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

While I feel the scene is as vibrant in the last decade as in the 80's and 90's I'm having a hard time comparing it to the 70's. Well I look at my top 100 albums more than 50 of them are from before 1980.

As much as I love a lot of albums from the '70's, I've heard too much music to have a top 100 list.  I enjoy moving forward. The Tea Club is another one of my favorite discoveries of 2013 though I don't think they did anything new last year.

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 13:09
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

As much as I love a lot of albums from the '70's, I've heard too much music to have a top 100 list.  I enjoy moving forward. The Tea Club is another one of my favorite discoveries of 2013 though I don't think they did anything new last year.

Well I've got around 1200 albums a top 100 really only means picking the top 10% which isn't too tough. Please it's not really that serious, my tastes are changing all the time and joy of exploration remains fully in effect.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 17:42
I use the top 100 lists on PA as a guide.  I always buy my favorite bands on that list or not, but I do not have the time or cash to deviate much.

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 19:21

¿Better than 1973?

Honestly I can't agree

2013 had exceptional albums as Out of the Barnyard,   (Which is not really Symphonic, but accepted to avoid Ping Pong with an excellent band), La Pote del Domani and A Profound Path (Blank Manuskript), but 2012 had a whole lot of great albums like
  1. Viljans Oga (Anglagard)
  2. Félicité Thosz (Magma)
  3. In a Cold Embrace (Battlestations)
  4. On a Dark Stormy Night (Shadow Circus)
  5. Quickly Quickly Quickly (The Tea Club)
  6. Genesis Revisited II (Steve Hackett)
  7. Corvus Stone (S/T)
Most of my votes in 2013 were for Jazz Fusion albums (Some not Prog, but equally Outstanding), I honestly believe 2013 was a  step back for Prog.

But, we all have a taste.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2014 at 19:34
As I beg to differ, here is my list, again taking into consideration my personal tastes, a mindblowing year 2013

Resonaxis- Hymnarium

From.uz- Sodom & Gomorrha

Airbag- The Greatest Show on Earth

Legend- Spirit

Unreal City- La Crudelta di Aprile

Flamborough Head-Lost in Time

The Inner Road- Ascension

The Windmill- Continuation

Sound of Contact- Dimensionaut

Days Between Stations- In Extremis

Gandalf’s Fist- A Day in the Life…..

Lifesigns- same

Jet Black Sea- The Path of Least Existence

Oceans5- Road to Mingulay

Magenta- the 27 Club

Lizard- Master & M

Big Big Train- English Electric Part 2

Henry Fool- Men Singing

Cosmograf- The Man Left in Space

Il Cerchio D’Oro- Icaro e Dedalo

Oxhuitza-same

Herd of Instinct- Conjure

IQ- Tales from the Lush Attic Remix

Elephants from Scotland- Home away from Home

Steve Wilson- The Raven…

La Maschera di Cera- Le Porte del Domani

Comedy of Errors- Fanfare & Fantasy

Willowglass- The Dream Harbour

Believe- The Warmest Sun…

Progenesi- Ulisse

Aldo Tagliapietra- Nella Pietra….

Vienna Circle- Silhouette Moon

Soma White- same

La Coscienza di Zeno- Sensitivita

Trion- Funfair Fantasy

Skeem- …Just Suggesting

Shamall- Turn Off

Odyssice- Live in Amsterdam

Crystal Palace- The System of Events

Tompox- The Dark Side of the Sun

Dead Heroes Club- Everything is Connected 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 02:14
I'm surprised Ivan wouldn't find it a strong year. Symphonic was stronger than it has any right to be:

The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) - Steven Wilson

PFM in Classic: Da Mozart a Celebration - Premiata Forneria Marconi

Barbarica - Museo Rosenbach

Lifesigns - Lifesigns

In hoc signo - Ingranaggi della Valle

Sensitivitá - La Coscienza di Zeno

Out of the Barnyard - Fright Pig

The Dream Harbour - Willowglass

You Have a Chance - Camelias Garden

L'Angelo rinchiuso - Aldo Tagliapietra

The Continuation - The Windmill

Le Porte del Domani - La Maschera di Cera

The Twenty Seven Club - Magenta

What’s Up? - Motoi Sakuraba

Limiti all’eguaglianza della parte con il tutto - Homunculus Res

Ulisse l'alfiere nero - Progenesi

La Crudeltà di Aprile - Unreal City

Le Sacre du Travail - The Tangent

The High Places - Oblivion Sun

Not a Good Sign - Not a Good Sign

Funfair Fantasy - Trion

Dedalo e Icaro - Il Cerchio D’Oro

Some of those only partially symphonic, but The Raven is imo mainly a symphonic album. The Spock's Beard album was genuinely not a symph album though.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 02:20
It was alright I had a pretty good year academicall.... Oh wait this is about Prog. Well I can't really comment on the releases of 2013 cuz I haven't gone around to listening to them LOL but for me discovering more Prog. Yeah, I guess you can say it was good Smile

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 02:32
2013 was a friggin awesome year, not sure about prog offerings though. Generally music is at a real high. Can't complain really, thank goodness I don't pigeon hole my listening to just prog. But the old prog I listened too in 2013 was friggin awesome tooTongue

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 06:11
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I'm surprised Ivan wouldn't find it a strong year. Symphonic was stronger than it has any right to be:

Lifesigns - Lifesigns

Funfair Fantasy - Trion

Some of those only partially symphonic, but The Raven is imo mainly a symphonic album. The Spock's Beard album was genuinely not a symph album though.

I just want to add that magnificent Neon Leaves' Cinema Verite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLqwCWHcUg" rel="nofollow - debut album . Okay, they are Neo Prog in the Archives but it's substantially a Symphonic Prog album.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 07:26
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Was 2013 really that good? Short answer, yes.

I couldn't find 10 to make the list this year... as I could not in 2011 ...; However 2012 was a rather good year

My top 5;
1- Setna - Guérison
2- The Wrong Object - After The Exhibition
3- Miriodor – Cobra Fakir
4- Guapo - History Of Visitation
5- The Red Masque- Mythalogue
mentions to Roy Harper...

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 09:51
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I'm part of the problem.

Writing a 5 star review is easy, you have plenty of good things to say about it and you want to write that review as a "thank you" to the artist(s). Most people avoid buying stuff they will probably hate (unless you are a dedicated Dream Theater troll or whatever) so 1 star reviews are rare.

I've been cutting my teeth on 2 and 3 star albums recently and its hard work. You really have to concentrate so that the bashing part is constructive and justified, but still give it some praise. So we give 2 or 3 star ratings instead which has 10x less impact than a review. Therefore the system is designed to over-rate things. So I ignore highly rated albums until they have at least 100 ratings, because its entirely false. Take Airbag or Moon Safari's newest albums which skyrocketed up the PA 100 charts, but their final rating was only 3.8-4.0 stars.    

There is no clear solution, but maybe new and overhyped albums should be banned from climbing the PA top 100 until they have been out for 2 months or so? That should minimise albums with 80 ratings and 4.6 average sitting in the top 30. Every time that happens it gives a bad impression to folks who use the PA 100 to find true prog masterpieces. If an underserving album reaches the top 30 (or top 11 which has happened many times!) it causes people to doubt the reliability of the top 100, which is very dangerous for this site.

After 2 months they can climb. The new albums will by then have a fair amount of ratings and if they still exist in the top 100, they at least partially deserve it. Putting a timer on new albums would not be too hard right?

totally agree although I don't know how easy it would be to implement

Personally I would not include any albums in the top 100 until they have 100 ratings although some bands like Flower Kings get to that level pretty quick while newer bands take a long while ..so on seconds thoughts that might be unfair. So actually the 2 month rule makes reasonable sense.

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 09:56

Very much this... I was mostly disappointed in 2013 until near the end where I went on a new music binge and started finding things outside the norm of what I'd normally listen to or taking suggestions from others.  I'm sure I will continue to discover a bunch of 2013 releases to love.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 09:56
Back on the subject of whether 2013 was 'really that good'. No not for me. I only loved one album and that was Steven Wilson's. My second favourite album was Three Monks - Legend Of The Holy Circle which is music based around pipe organ. Basically you can wrap anything up round the pipe organ and I would like it. After that Spocks Beard was the only thing that really grabbed before I am down to Frost recyclying their previously released music in a live DVD. I can't remember exactly who I picked from 5 down but it included 'crossover' releases. I wasn't impressed with Desolation Rose all that much but I think it ended up in my top ten almost by default.

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:47

Lifesigns - Lifesigns

Funfair Fantasy - Trion

Well lets see:

1.- The Raven: I gave 3 stars being generous, IMO a 2 star album.
2.- PFM: Haven't heard the Mozart Celebration in time to vote, I avoid this kind of albums that mix Classical and Symphonic too much, I gopt it a couple weeks ago and soon will review it..
3.- Out of the Barnyard: Great album, it's in my list BUT IT'S NOT SYMPHONIC, we added the band because it is spectacular and wanted to avoid the ping pong
4.- I was a fan of Magenta, Revolutions was a masterpiece, Seven wasd great, but don't care about their later albums, they became a slightly Neo Prog accessible band closer to Prog Related
5.- Motoi Sakuraba: I voted against his inclusion in 2005 and later, I don't believe jhe belongs in Neo, but I respect the team's vote
6.- Lifesigns is not Symphonic, good album, but not Symph
7.- The Windmill is Heavy Prog if I'm not wrong, and a very light album IMO
8.- Limiti all’eguaglianza della parte con il tutto is anything but Symphonic, closer to Canterbury or Jazz
9.- Progenesi: Closer to Jazz than to Symphonic
10.- Never liked The Tangent, find them as a band who blend everything, but could never find their sound, sorry (Not Symph either).

Honestly, except in Jazz Rock Fusion, my opinion about 2013 is poor.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:54

Based on the 30-something 2013 albums that I thought interesting enough to check, the year was very average.

But then there's still some 300.000 albums I haven't heard yet from 2013.

As to the average ratings given to new albums on the site, it's really a pity, PA ratings don't mean anything anymore.
I remember getting an angry mail once from an artist because I gave his album 3 stars. Seriously! Wacko

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 11:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Back on the subject of whether 2013 was 'really that good'. No not for me. I only loved one album and that was Steven Wilson's. My second favourite album was Three Monks - Legend Of The Holy Circle which is music based around pipe organ. Basically you can wrap anything up round the pipe organ and I would like it. After that Spocks Beard was the only thing that really grabbed before I am down to Frost recyclying their previously released music in a live DVD. I can't remember exactly who I picked from 5 down but it included 'crossover' releases. I wasn't impressed with Desolation Rose all that much but I think it ended up in my top ten almost by default.

Yeah, but it was a beautiful Gothic, wailing pipe organ no less! :)
What a beautiful album. I finally listened to it the other day and was very pleased with the Three Monks latest output.
Glad to hear you really enjoyed as well. However I do feel their first effort, Neo Gothic Progressive Toccats may have a leg up on The Holy Circle. Loved that Goblin, Profondo Rosso cover. Brilliant!

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 11:07
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Based on the 30-something 2013 albums that I thought interesting enough to check, the year was very average.

But then there's still some 300.000 albums I haven't heard yet from 2013.

As to the average ratings given to new albums on the site, it's really a pity, PA ratings don't mean anything anymore.
I remember getting an angry mail once from an artist because I gave his album 3 stars. Seriously! Wacko

I remember a member of UNIFAUN (Nad), creating a thread to attack me because I rated his album with 3 stars and said that "The band that wrote the songs that Genesis never made" was not original. 

That was crazy. Wacko

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 11:11
Well, I can truly say as to what David a.k.a Dolly Parton...I mean Guldbamsen was saying in regards to making the effort to explore new music, and I feel 2013 had a whole onslaught of wonderful releases where by i was so happy to explore and listen to a bunch of albums from newer and older artists. It was truly a great year for Prog and an extreamly memorable One. Certainly, the mighty Return of FATES WARNING after a 9 year absence as a group really made me happy. Anyway. I am pleased to share my list again. Incredible year.

Three Monks--The Legend Of The Holy Circle
My Best for 2013....

In no order.
Unreal City--La Crudelta Di Aprile
The Psychedelic Ensemble-The Tale Of The Golden King
Tangerine Dream--Finnigans Wake
Fright Pig--Out Of The Barnyard
Ochre--La Moddie
Edison's Children--The Final Breath Before November
Dead Heroes Club--Everything Is Connected.
Royal Hunt--A Life to Die For
Devin Townsend--Retinal Circus
Spocks Beard--Brief Nocturnes
The Flower Kings--Desolation Rose.
Himilabacken--Vol.1
Genesis Revisted--Live At The Hammersmith Odeon (2013) 2dvd 3cd set
Kompendium--Elements
Believe--The warmest Winter Sun
Days between Stations--In Extremist
Airbag--The Greatest show on earth
Il Cerchio D'Oro---Dedalo E Icaro
IQ---Tales From The Lush Attic (Remix/reissue 2013)
Anathema--Universal
Maurizo Guarini--Creatures From A Drawer
Soulfly--Savages
The Tangent: The Rite Of Work
Magenta--The 27 Club
Dead Can Dance--In Concert 2012 (album released 2013)
Clive Nolan--Alchemy (studio Version)
Clive Nolan--Alchemy live! (Box Set (3cd/2dvd 2013)
Autechre--Xai
Pendragon--Introducing Pendragon (2cd Compilation album 2013)
Depeche Mode--Delta Machine
Ulver---Messe I.X--VI.X
WinterSun--Time I
Hibernal--The Machine
Comedy Of Errors--Fanfare And Fantasy
T--Psychoanorexia
Orphaned Land--All Is One
Nine Inch Nails--Hesitation Marks
Haken--The Mountain
Dream Theater--Live at Luna Park (2dvd--3cd set)
Device--Vilify
Trivium-- Vengeance Falls
Ayreon-- The Theory Of Everything (2cd/DVD set)
Arena--The Rapture
Queensryche---X2
Amon Amarth--Deceiver Of Gods
Levin Rudess Minnemann--The Project
James LaBrie--Impermanent Resonance.
Steven Wilson--The Raven That Refused To Sing:And other short stories.
Riverside--Shrine Of A New Generation
Lifesigns--Lifesigns (debut 2013)
Big Big Train--English Electric Full Power
Tears For Fears--The Hurting 4cd Reissue box set-2013)
Aciients--Heart Of Oak
Cosmograf--The Man Left In Space
Sound Of Contact--Dimensionaut
Nightwish--The Ballads (compilation 2013)
Metallica: Through The Never (Music from the Motion Picture)
Katatonia--Dethroned & UnCrowned
The Alan Parsons Project--I Robot ( 35th Anniversary Legacy Edition)
Skinny Puppy--The Weapon
Fish-- A Feast of Consequences.
PFM (Premiata Forneria Marconi) - In
Classic: Da Mozart - A Celebration (2013)
Leprous--Coal
Draconian--The Arcane Rain Fell (2013 digital reissue)
Ministry--From Beer To Eternity (farewell album)
Psykerion--The Thought Chamber
Motorpsycho--Still Life With Eggplant.
Gary Numan's--Splinter
The Eldritch Dark--Blood Ceremony
DREAM THEATER--DREAM THEATER
FATES WARNING--A DARKNESS IN A DIFFERENT LIGHT.

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 15:53
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Well, I can truly say as to what David a.k.a Dolly Parton...I mean Guldbamsen was saying in regards to making the effort to explore new music, and I feel 2013 had a whole onslaught of wonderful releases where by i was so happy to explore and listen to a bunch of albums from newer and older artists. It was truly a great year for Prog and an extreamly memorable One. Certainly, the mighty Return of FATES WARNING after a 9 year absence as a group really made me happy. Anyway. I am pleased to share my list again. Incredible year.

My Best for 2013....

In no order.
Ochre--La Moddie
Himilabacken--Vol.1
Kompendium--Elements
Anathema--Universal
Soulfly--Savages
Magenta--The 27 Club
Autechre--Xai
Ulver---Messe I.X--VI.X
WinterSun--Time I
Hibernal--The Machine
T--Psychoanorexia
Haken--The Mountain
Device--Vilify
Arena--The Rapture
Queensryche---X2
Aciients--Heart Of Oak
Skinny Puppy--The Weapon
Leprous--Coal
Gary Numan's--Splinter

Nicholas, Cool you have sharp ears (which explains your padded earphones icon) and absolute correct in your statement. I am still finding exceptional 2013 in mid-february ! Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 18:13

My Best for 2013....

In no order.
Ochre--La Moddie
Himilabacken--Vol.1
Kompendium--Elements
Anathema--Universal
Soulfly--Savages
Magenta--The 27 Club
Autechre--Xai
Ulver---Messe I.X--VI.X
WinterSun--Time I
Hibernal--The Machine
T--Psychoanorexia
Haken--The Mountain
Device--Vilify
Arena--The Rapture
Queensryche---X2
Aciients--Heart Of Oak
Skinny Puppy--The Weapon
Leprous--Coal
Gary Numan's--Splinter

Nicholas, Cool you have sharp ears (which explains your padded earphones icon) and absolute correct in your statement. I am still finding exceptional 2013 in mid-february ! Shocked

My my. 2013 doesn't seem to end for me either. I still have more i am interested in discovering. I think the new Caligula's Horse album and Subsignal's latest are gonna be next. Oh and I wanna get the re-recording of Camel's The Snow Goose. Sheesh. Never ends.

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 18:23
The reason the lists have such high ratings is because the year had many big names attached to released albums. Plus people love giving out 5* ratings/reviews before its released or within 3 days of being released.
I also don't understand how a reissue is ranked #2. Oh well.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: February 10 2014 at 18:28
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The reason the lists have such high ratings is because the year had many big names attached to released albums. Plus people love giving out 5* ratings/reviews before its released or within 3 days of being released.

You make a pretty fair point there. And some people give 1 or 2 star ratings before they come out as well!
I think the latest DT album may have been victimized by this process, but mainly overall we can't get angry about this.
Hard not to though.

-------------

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: February 11 2014 at 13:03

Also, if you check the most popular artists inside the last 24 hours, it is almost always artists who've received either a 4 or 5 star write up. Perhaps folks are under the impression that anything less than that is futile to investigate their time in. Sad really...

That's the reason I haven't done any ratings on this site. I don't know how to give an album less then three stars.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: February 11 2014 at 14:15

Yeah, but it was a beautiful Gothic, wailing pipe organ no less! :)
What a beautiful album. I finally listened to it the other day and was very pleased with the Three Monks latest output.
Glad to hear you really enjoyed as well. However I do feel their first effort, Neo Gothic Progressive Toccats may have a leg up on The Holy Circle. Loved that Goblin, Profondo Rosso cover. Brilliant!

their first album was much grittier and probably got more mileage from the Pipe Organ. The second album seemed a bit lighter as they introduced synths into the equation. Both are great but the first album may just have that 1/10 bit extraSmile

Date Posted: February 11 2014 at 14:24

Lifesigns - Lifesigns

Funfair Fantasy - Trion

Well lets see:

1.- The Raven: I gave 3 stars being generous, IMO a 2 star album.
2.- PFM: Haven't heard the Mozart Celebration in time to vote, I avoid this kind of albums that mix Classical and Symphonic too much, I gopt it a couple weeks ago and soon will review it..
3.- Out of the Barnyard: Great album, it's in my list BUT IT'S NOT SYMPHONIC, we added the band because it is spectacular and wanted to avoid the ping pong
4.- I was a fan of Magenta, Revolutions was a masterpiece, Seven wasd great, but don't care about their later albums, they became a slightly Neo Prog accessible band closer to Prog Related
5.- Motoi Sakuraba: I voted against his inclusion in 2005 and later, I don't believe jhe belongs in Neo, but I respect the team's vote
6.- Lifesigns is not Symphonic, good album, but not Symph
7.- The Windmill is Heavy Prog if I'm not wrong, and a very light album IMO
8.- Limiti all’eguaglianza della parte con il tutto is anything but Symphonic, closer to Canterbury or Jazz
9.- Progenesi: Closer to Jazz than to Symphonic
10.- Never liked The Tangent, find them as a band who blend everything, but could never find their sound, sorry (Not Symph either).

Honestly, except in Jazz Rock Fusion, my opinion about 2013 is poor.

Iván

I liked Magenta's Metamorphosis a lot. That could never be just prog related but the albums since especially Home (which is basically Christina's first solo album) and Chameleon do lack serious prog credentials. Their latest album is actually drawing on material that Rob Reed wrote at the time Metamorphosis and unfortunately sounds like the desperate attempt to recover lost ground that it is. 

Agree about Lifesigns. Solid album but not symph.

Its interesting that your feelings about The Raven are exactlly how I felt about Villjans Oga in 2012. The boot is now on the other foot.LOL

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 11 2014 at 15:50

Lifesigns - Lifesigns

Funfair Fantasy - Trion

Nice list Approve! All the albums on this list that I have heard (save one) are in my top 15. Though I would not call all of these symphonic: In Hoc Signo is on the jazzy side of RPI, The Raven is only remotely related to Symphonic, Le Sacre du Travail has some symphonic elements, but it is hard to define. Homunculus Res is more like Canterbury Scene, Camelias Garden is something like mellow sympho with strong folky influences and Fright Pig has some symphonic keyboards in Emerson-style, but the bacon leans on classic era-styled heavy hams and is larded with a bit of pork folk now and then.

-------------

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: February 11 2014 at 18:30
I guess I have a slightly broader view of symphonic than some. But actually, yeah, only two Raven tracks are symphonic come to think of it: Luminol and Watchmaker. Symph can have plenty of jazz to it so long as the overall structure is symph (Flower Kings etc.). Didn't mean to include Homonculus Res (copypasta'd from my full list). The Windmill is a bit too simple I guess. Some would actually put the new Comedy of Errors but I'm a little stricter than that.

Posted By: MiltonTheatre'sLamp
Date Posted: February 11 2014 at 21:42
This year looks to be a lot better. Yes we had Steve Wilson but...

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 07:27
I just hope that one day everyone will just listen to the music, forget about overrated underrated points and scores.
Just listen to the music, enjoy every single track as if it was the only piece of music in the world, think about what the artist had in mind with this particular piece, ect ect.
It is not a sports contest.
Points are totaly irrelevant when it comes to art. Even more so if you start thinking about a year v year contest, what is the point ?

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 10:31
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I just hope that one day everyone will just listen to the music, forget about overrated underrated points and scores.
Just listen to the music, enjoy every single track as if it was the only piece of music in the world, think about what the artist had in mind with this particular piece, ect ect.
Points are totaly irrelevant when it comes to art. Even more so if you start thinking about a year v year contest, what is the point ?

There are Great, Good, Average, medioccre and bad albums.

That'ssomething we can't deny.

We only say our truth

-------------

Posted By: altaeria
Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 15:00

Ideally,
reviews should be posted after around 20 listens. 

The first few listens are basically 
the "getting to know each other" phase.  

5 to 10 listens is the honeymoon stage. 

11 to 15 listens is the period when you really 
get familiar with all the little intricacies of the album. 

16 listens and up is when you start looking around 
at all the other attractive albums on the market. 

At around 20 listens, you can truly declare 
whether it is love... or if it was just a torrid passing fling. 

Heart

PS: If you couldn't get past 5 listens,
then it simply wasn't meant to be (more than 3 stars). 

Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 16:18
No. I can get through 20 listens in a day. It doesn't matter - it's time that changes your view of an album and really shows it's true value. 

I wouldn't want to put a number on the amount of time you need for each "stage" but i would wait a least a month. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 17:14

We only say our truth

...we only say our opinion, not truth. Reviewing is subjective, an opinion not truth.

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 20:03
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

We only say our truth

...we only say our opinion, not truth. Reviewing is subjective, an opinion not truth.

Good points Handshake

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 21:15

No. I can get through 20 listens in a day. It doesn't matter - it's time that changes your view of an album and really shows it's true value. 

I wouldn't want to put a number on the amount of time you need for each "stage" but i would wait a least a month. 
I've reviewed during my first listen (once). Embarrassed

Date Posted: February 12 2014 at 22:23
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Stern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 00:24

We only say our truth

I said OUR truth, not the truth.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 00:29
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Ideally,
reviews should be posted after around 20 listens. 

The first few listens are basically 
the "getting to know each other" phase.  

5 to 10 listens is the honeymoon stage. 

11 to 15 listens is the period when you really 
get familiar with all the little intricacies of the album. 

16 listens and up is when you start looking around 
at all the other attractive albums on the market. 

At around 20 listens, you can truly declare 
whether it is love... or if it was just a torrid passing fling. 

Heart

PS: If you couldn't get past 5 listens,
then it simply wasn't meant to be (more than 3 stars). 

Almost impossible.

I hardly listen any album more than 20 times in 3 years.

I have nearly 3,000 albums in CD format, almost 2,000 in LP  and  a lot in legal MP3.

I wouldn't be able to rate more than 20 or 30 albums if I had to listen all of them 20 times.

You can afford that luxury when you have 100 albums, but I never review an album before the fourth or fifth listen..

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 01:46

so is there a point when your view of an album becomes 'fixed'?

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 05:05

20 listens for any album younger then 3 years is really rare.
there's too much new stuff to check and too much old favorites to keep enjoying (so I might be at around 200 listens for certain 70's albums by now Shocked )

my view on an album never becomes fixed, i'm a progressing being Smile
it's one of the reasons I'm mixed about reviewing now, I wrote a couple of 1000 in a year only to find out 2 years later I sometimes don't agree at all with that older me that did them

to review an album it's certainly good to be away from it for a couple of weeks so that the initial surprise has worn off a bit

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 05:07

Camel?
That's because I can't even be bothered to post the 1 star review I've written about it Dead

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 07:57
Ratings are pointless without factoring in the tastes of the rater. That being said, I was surprised by the high quality of albums I have listened to from 2013.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: The Shrubbery
Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 10:38
I don't understand why everybody keeps posting these lists of 2013 and leaving off Pete Trewavas' Edison's Children's album "The Final Breath Before November". I know the new album came out in December of 2013... but it was still a 2013 album, not 2014. If you really give it a few good listens and aren't looking for the next King Crimson but just want something haunting and dark and atmospheric... there's little out there better then they are. 

-------------
Let's make Prog a family again. Tired of Snobbery and trolling. We all have a right to love what and who we love so lets respect and appreciate all who care about the finest music in the world... prog

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 10:39

20 listens for any album younger then 3 years is really rare.
there's too much new stuff to check and too much old favorites to keep enjoying (so I might be at around 200 listens for certain 70's albums by now Shocked )

my view on an album never becomes fixed, i'm a progressing being Smile
it's one of the reasons I'm mixed about reviewing now, I wrote a couple of 1000 in a year only to find out 2 years later I sometimes don't agree at all with that older me that did them

to review an album it's certainly good to be away from it for a couple of weeks so that the initial surprise has worn off a bit

I normally have a general idea of the structure and basics of the album in the first listen, in the second, I try to verify my first impression, ...the subjective issues (Like it, don't like it or hate it) come in the 3 and 4th listen.

Then I don't listen the album for a week (Normally because there's more stuff too listen) and about the fifth listen I heard it once more and write the review by listening it again.

In most of the cases (Lets say 90%) I know if I'm going to like an album in the first listen...If this haven't changed by the fifth listen, I know 99% it's my final opinion.

The two only albums that took me years to love are Relayer and Trespass, as a fact, I hated Trespass for years.

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 12:25

We only say our truth

I said OUR truth, not the truth.

I'm not going to piss about this for 50 posts but regardless of your truth or his truth or my truth or our truth.......A review is an opinion, not truth, regardless of where/who it comes from. All reviewers are doing is stating their opinion of an album/artist, whether it is from one listen or 20 listens.

This is why people gripe and moan when their favorite album received a 2 star and they feel it should be a 5 star. Just because one album received 100 5 star ratings and you gave it a 2 star..does not mean the 100 people are telling the truth and you are wrong, you would not admit you are wrong....Its only an opinion, there is no truth.

That being said, I pay ZERO attention to the star ratings.....I only read the commentary to get a feel for what the music is. If I like what is written then I will probably buy the album....I have to say there are some very well written reviews with much detail and care given, I truely appreciate the commentary.ClapClapClap

But it is only an opinion.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 12:47
I wouldn't argue the semantics here too much.  A personal truth (also known as subjective truth as opposed to objective truth) is in the realm of opinion.  To say that something is my truth is commonly synonymous with saying that it is my opinion (though there are often differences in nuance).  Personal truth is about personal perspective as I use it, and what's true to one person need not be true to another.

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 12:57

Stern Smile
My opinion of and thoughts on the album (Laughing Stock) has not changed (which is a rare case). I should say that I listened to it once all the way through, and wrote my thoughts as I listened to the album, and then ping ponged between tracks especially to listen to mood transitions while reading bios and interviews. I was really just testing the approach of writing down my first impressions, and have kept doing that for my other reviews, although with my other reviews I've made sure to listen to the album many more times.

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 13:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I wouldn't argue the semantics here too much.  A personal truth (also known as subjective truth as opposed to objective truth) is in the realm of opinion.  To say that something is my truth is commonly synonymous with saying that it is my opinion (though there are often differences in nuance).  Personal truth is about personal perspective as I use it, and what's true to one person need not be true to another.

Thanks

-------------

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 13:11

Stern Smile
My opinion of and thoughts on the album (Laughing Stock) has not changed (which is a rare case). I should say that I listened to it once all the way through, and wrote my thoughts as I listened to the album, and then ping ponged between tracks especially to listen to mood transitions while reading bios and interviews. I was really just testing the approach of writing down my first impressions, and have kept doing that for my other reviews, although with my other reviews I've made sure to listen to the album many more times.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with reviewing like that.  First impressions are just as important as last impressions.  I think 20 listens might be overkill, dulling the senses to what made that album so great in the first place, and you forget how strong your feelings were when you first listened to it.  An album that holds up for that long may have the 'classic' quality but IMO there are five star worhty albums that maybe aren't supposed to be listened to that many times.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 15:25
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Stern Smile

Honestly, I don't have a problem with reviewing like that.  First impressions are just as important as last impressions.  I think 20 listens might be overkill, dulling the senses to what made that album so great in the first place, and you forget how strong your feelings were when you first listened to it.  An album that holds up for that long may have the 'classic' quality but IMO there are five star worhty albums that maybe aren't supposed to be listened to that many times.
20 listens for the sake of a review is certainly overkill. Who would want to listen to an album that took 20 listens to like? LOL

Most of the time, my opinion is fully formed by third listen, give or take. I still listen to the albums after that, but I like to let them have some space.

Posted By: altaeria
Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 18:28

20 listens for the sake of a review is certainly overkill. Who would want to listen to an album that took 20 listens to like?

Most of the time, my opinion is fully formed by third listen, give or take. I still listen to the albums after that, but I like to let them have some space.

Here is the point of my original premise: 

If an album is a true 5-star "masterpiece"... 
then 20 listens should only take you around two months to complete. 

If the album is soooo damn great... a mere 10 listens per month 
for two months should be an almost effortless exercise. 

After that time passes... If you still consider the album to be amazing, 
then a 5-star rating is truly warranted. 

If a supposed "masterpiece" becomes a chore to listen to 
after a half-dozen spins... then it's probably not an actual masterpiece. 

I'm just sayin'
Ermm

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 19:03

No i don't think so. Like said - it's not unexpected that a view on an album changes, but i think there is a degree of fairness to yourself and the artist to give them a proper, developed rating and reasoning behind it. 
Now that change may never happen but i can assume that my thoughts on Deloused in the Comatorium won't chage because of the impact it has had on me already as well as the amount of listening i've already done since its release.

just my thoughts. 

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 19:04

Camel?
That's because I can't even be bothered to post the 1 star review I've written about it Dead

Yea really..

I already dislike the original.. 

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 19:37
2013 is not that memorable in terms of music but it was better than 2012 as i recall. The list of albums in the best of 2013 are definitely worth listening to even if they may not all be masterpieces.

-------------

Posted By: KublaKhan
Date Posted: February 13 2014 at 21:46
Fantastic Year!

Posted By: ergaster
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 09:02
It was damned good for me, but then I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention in 2012 because I was too busy discovering some older stuff.  A lot of the stuff I discovered in 2013 though was post rock and post metal, which has become a rather important genre for me.  But I really loved quite a few albums from this year.  I had a tie for No. 1 but one of those was not prog.

As for the ratings...from the day I joined this site I found the ratings generally inflated.  Five-star albums should be exceedingly rare beasts but around here they are as common as dirt on the ground.  The no half-star option doesn't help, and I too tend to round up rather than down.  I usually point this out at the start of my review though, if I have done that.

I think I have written only one five-star review.  Quite a few 4-star though, but either they deserved it or they were rounded up from a 3.5.  But I do have 3-star reviews as well.  Anything I think is worse than that...it is unlikely I will muster up the interest to write a review for an album like that. 

-------------
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.

Posted By: RyanElliott
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 06:57

I was in a lecture recently, where 50 of us had to mark three stand up comedians out of 50. Our criteria was based on their stage presence, their tone, phrasing, the sound, the structure of their performance. 

These are pretty black and white things to point out if you initially think about it, but when we revealed our marks, the range of them varied greatly from as little as 25 to as high as 48, the average for all three comedians were in between 30 and 40. 
The outcome of this experiment was that no matter what criteria people set themselves to grade something, subjectivity is always an influence. It all depends on people's taste, in the case of this website, what they like about prog. A lot of fans will be drawn here, which is probably why the ratings are drawn higher, ultimately it becomes hard to distinguish a clear cut sense of validity with ratings. It is about opinion after all.

I can never really feel recommended to ratings alone, reviews will have more stock of course, because, it goes into more detail and I can match that with what I personally like: but in all honesty, the best person to rate something for themselves is indeed themselves!

Nevertheless, rating stuff is rather fun! 

Posted By: OpenLens
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 16:00
2013 was the best year for progressive music in a long time.

Posted By: Lynx33
Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 10:47

Clap

-------------
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.

Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 11:27
Originally posted by Lynx33 Lynx33 wrote:

Clap

Naw man.

5* I could get through it.

1* I heard something that didn't tickle my fancy.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 17:49
If it wasn't that good you might have picked the wrong stuff to listen to....

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk