Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97154
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 22:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Classics you haven't heard - and why
Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Subject: Classics you haven't heard - and why
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 04:27
I just realized that I haven't heard any of ELP or Genesis' albums in their entirety, though I have heard individual songs by either. I guess in this case that it has something to do with me not getting into either band before I found them to be so overplayed on radio that I completely lose interest in them. It does not exactly help that around 2011 or so I came to prefer Krautrock/Kosmische Musik and the associated progressive electronic scene as well as Beefheart/Zappa-style avant-rock to British prog.

Speaking of which, there's quite a few of the very earliest UK prog groups I've never heard either: The Moody Blues, The Pretty Things, Tomorrow, Traffic etc. The way they've been kind of forgotten in favour of the more ambitious artists they paved the way for might be one of the reasons, the other that I can't help but expect their music to come across as rather primitive to the bands that immediately followed. I also haven't heard any other Canterbury Scene groups than The Soft Machine but that's more a matter of laziness than anything else as well as the fact that I don't think I know enough about jazz to really "get" that entire style.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Replies:
Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 04:45
I've never heard any RPI apart from two albums by PFM, which I love.  I've been saving it for some reason (so there'll always be amazing music yet to discover, that's a good reason)

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 06:33
A bit of a surprising post. Oh, well.
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

(1) I just realized that I haven't heard any of ELP or Genesis' albums in their entirety, though I have heard individual songs by either. I guess in this case that it has something to do with me not getting into either band before I found them to be so overplayed on radio that I completely lose interest in them. (2) It does not exactly help that around 2011 or so I came to prefer Krautrock/Kosmische Musik and the associated progressive electronic scene as well as Beefheart/Zappa-style avant-rock to British prog.
What does one have to do with the other? Confused ELP and Genesis have very little to do with bands like Tangerine Dream.

Speaking of which, there's quite a few of the very earliest UK prog groups I've never heard either: The Moody Blues,The Pretty Things, Tomorrow, Traffic etc.
But you have heard of Vanilla Fudge, The Clouds, 1-2-3, and The Nice, right?

The way they've been kind of forgotten in favour of the more ambitious artists they paved the way for might be one of the reasons, the other that I can't help but expect their music to come across as rather primitive to the bands that immediately followed.
And that's why I don't listen to them either.

I also haven't heard any other Canterbury Scene groups thanThe Soft Machine but that's more a matter of laziness than anything else as well as the fact that I don't think I know enough about jazz to really "get" that entire style.
Neither do I, though I don't think you need to know anything about jazz to
feel it. I'm not quite keen on Canterbury myself unless I get my laptop to play something from Matching Mole or Robert Wyatt solo stuff. That's where I am at. At least give Rock Bottom two chances ('cause one might not quite cut it. )
-----
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I've never heard any RPI apart from two albums by PFM, which I love.  I've been saving it for some reason (so there'll always be amazing music yet to discover, that's a good reason)
Dude, ... get Io Sono Nato LiberoThumbs Up
-----
Why I haven't heard certain classics?

1) I get lazy.
2) I'm tired of spending time on challenging listens. I want to enjoy music, and I want it to come easy. I've found myself spending more time on Contemporary/Baroque folk/pop/singer-songwriter music.

Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

A bit of a surprising post. Oh, well.

(1) I just realized that I haven't heard any of ELP or Genesis' albums in their entirety, though I have heard individual songs by either. I guess in this case that it has something to do with me not getting into either band before I found them to be so overplayed on radio that I completely lose interest in them. (2) It does not exactly help that around 2011 or so I came to prefer Krautrock/Kosmische Musik and the associated progressive electronic scene as well as Beefheart/Zappa-style avant-rock to British prog.

What does one have to do with the other? Confused ELP and Genesis have very little to do with bands like Tangerine Dream.

That's the point, that for a long time my preferences in progressive music gravitated towards a completely different corner than the British symphonic prog style. (which I did have an interest in before, though)

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: thwok
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 07:22
I'm surprised that there haven't been more responses to this topic. I guess it's just because it's so new. For the sake of perspective, I looked at the PA Top Prog Albums list.  My top two "not heard" bands would have to be Van Der Graaf Generator and the aforementioned ELP.  

In the case of VDGG, I think it's initially because I haven't gotten accustomed to Pete Hammill's singing.  I'm also so fanatical about my love for King Crimson, and I listen to so many different kinds of music, that another band labeled eclectic prog isn't where I'm inclined to go exploring musically.  When it comes to ELP, I don't care for primarily keyboard-driven rock.  Most of what I've heard by ELP just sounds overplayed and lyrically pretentious to me.

-------------
I am the funkiest man on the planet!

Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 07:25
^ ELP? Over-played? When? Where?

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 08:45
I've never heard Yes-Relayer or Tormato. Or ELP-Love Beach. Or Birth Control-Hoodoo Man. Or Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming. Reason being, I am just a bit lazy, i guess.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 10:58
I struggle with foreign languages in my singing which is why i never even tried to like RPI or Magma. I just like hearing lyrics and catching on to some lines, also i feel like not knowing what they're saying is a distraction. 

I'll come back and look over actual "classics" that i haven't heard. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 11:01
I don't know if there are any classics I have heard, although I don't have any Beefheart yet. Does that count?

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 12:42
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming.
That should be one of your next purchases.  Sounds nothing like Triumvirat or Bruckner, though. Sorry. Smile

Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 15:32
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming.
That should be one of your next purchases.  Sounds nothing like Triumvirat or Bruckner, though. Sorry. Smile
Thanks for the warning.LOL Yeah, i should check it out, as I have heard great things about it.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 18:54
I'm kind of bankrupt on the canterbury, zuel, and krautrock.

It's funny because I really lovved Kraftwerk when I was a teen. Tongue

OK I have a couple Caravans...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 15 2014 at 20:07
There's plenty of American Symph I haven't heard. I don't have any albums by Kansas, Glass Hammer, Spocks Beard. I don't have any Yes after GFTO, any Tull after Heavy Horses, any ELP after BSS, any Genesis after Lamb. Neo also completely passes me by, I have no Marillion, IQ, Magenta or Arena.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 00:02
I'm hard pressed to think of any 'classics' I have not heard...or don't own. I've made an effort over the last 10 years to fill in any gaps in my music appreciation, but I've been collecting a long time so I already have owned most of the older things. There are some RPI and some prog metal things I haven't heard since those are two areas that I don't listen to all that much but as far as the old classics I don't think there are many I haven't heard.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 02:44
The top ten albums from PA's "Top Prog Albums" I've not heard:

Red, King Crimson
Godbluff, Van Der Graaf Generator
Hybris, Änglagård
Per Un Amico, Premiata Forneria Marconi
Pawn Hearts, VDGG
Io Sono Nato Libero, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Si On Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquième Saison, Harmonium
Storia di Un Minuto, PFM
The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage, Peter Hammill
Birds of Fire, Mahavishnu Orchestra

Some common reasons I haven't heard these albums:

- Lyrics in a language other than English, Spanish, or German (the three I [mostly] understand)
- I've started collecting the artist's discography, but have not yet acquired this album
- I haven't yet invested the time, energy, or money to get into the artist, but I plan on doing so
- I find the music difficult to appreciate, and therefore invest my time, energy, and money in other artists

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 05:54
Loads and the reason is time and money. I'm gradually catching up though. In that last few years I've picked up albums by bands I hadn't listened to much - VDGG , Harmonium, Banco, Mahavishnu Orchestra

15 years ago I had no Gentle Giant in my collection, now I have nearly everything by them. Listening to prog is an ongoing project that will never be finished (sadly)

On the subject of ELP , if you have 'The Atlantic Years' 2 CD set then you are sorted. They are my favourite band but a good compilation suffices if you are not that keen on them.

Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 07:55
^Hey, Richard, am i right that there is a Special Edition of Love Beach with a live track or two of songs  from that album  added on? I think that is probably what i will go for.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 08:01
any of the progressive italiano bands. caravan gong khan hatfield of the north. camel gentle giant.

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 08:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There's plenty of American Symph I haven't heard. I don't have any albums by Kansas, Glass Hammer, Spocks Beard. I don't have any Yes after GFTO, any Tull after Heavy Horses, any ELP after BSS, any Genesis after Lamb. Neo also completely passes me by, I have no Marillion, IQ, Magenta or Arena.

If you only get one album by Kansas, I highly recommend Two For The Show.  Big smile

BTW I had all the GG albums by 15 years ago, what the hell is the matter with you? LOL

OK, I'm old.

I've pretty much collected all the older prog I "need".  I pretty much exclusively get new stuff.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There's plenty of American Symph I haven't heard. I don't have any albums by Kansas, Glass Hammer, Spocks Beard.

Me neither.

Quote I don't have any Yes after GFTO, any Tull after Heavy Horses, any ELP after BSS, any Genesis after Lamb

I'm under the impression each of those were considered the respective groups' last classic album anyway.

More bands I've heard songs but not entire albums by include Dream Theater, Magma, Mastodon, Ozric Tentacles, Rush and VDGG. The former because I either don't find their styles terribly interesting in the first place or know that I don't even understand their music, the last one because what I mentioned about how I lost interest in Anglo-Prog at the same time I discovered Kosmische Musik. (and also went through a phase where I didn't listen to much music from before the 1990s)

Bands I haven't heard at all include pretty much all the Italians, Eloy, Gentle Giant, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Marillion, Renaissance, Talk Talk. Maybe it's kind of cheating to mention artists in genres I don't like very much.

Here's something that might surprise some of you: I'm quite the fan of Captain Beefheart but I haven't heard all of Trout Mask Replica or anything from Lick My Decals Off Baby, since they appear to be his two most difficult albums. (and also his most acclaimed) As a matter of fact, I didn't really understand the Captain's music until I heard The Mirrorman Sessions.

Also haven't heard other Voivod albums in their entirety than Nothingface and The Outer Limits... again, because I didn't really understand the band's music as it came from outside my comfort zone at the time. (was mostly into metal and prog but not into punk or 1980s indie like I am now)

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 10:44

I've never heard Yes-Relayer or Tormato. Or ELP-Love Beach. Or Birth Control-Hoodoo Man. Or Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming. Reason being, I am just a bit lazy, i guess.

Nowadays, that's silly. On top of it, it is all available at Youtube for free and it says "album" for you. You don't even have to buy it.

However, the real issue here is that too many of these "listens" turn into 3 minute bits and pieces and the minute you do that with these longer pieces, your appreciation of music is wasted.

So, the best thing I can say for that is ... go back to your top ten, junior. It serves you better. Bye!

- AD2 is a must listen, but most folks can't listen to the MM thing after 2 minutes. "Where's the lyrics?"
- Relayer is a bit of an assault. I kinda think that they wanted to tell reviewers to take a flying leap into the poop! It's very good, although you can say it gets wild.
- Birth Control is nice, but one of those bands that eventually you go ... so what?
- Tormato did a total of ... nothing! for me!

Listening is an art, or a pleasure. Not a hindrance!

Meet the new boss ... same as the old boss ... still not listening!

I just wish I had the time to listen to more of these things listed here ... it's almost too much! But too much is good! But you will go off the deep end in the most nightmarish drug induced stupor ... because you don't know, and want to find out more! But you won't take that step? Sometimes, for me, this is more about laziness than it is about curiosity ... like you're not gonna move me to spend time listening to Rush at all! Don't even try it!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 11:36
^Believe it or not, i am still on old dail-up internet access, so i can't watch youtube videos thru my own computer, odd but true.
                   I can really get into long pieces or suites and going without vocals for a stretch does not hinder my appreciation of something.
                    Your refer to my "Top Ten", well, it is my top ten, and not based on any preconceived basis for a top ten, just my personal favorites, consisting of artists like Helmut Koellen and Dirk Steffens that not a whole lot of people give a hoot about, anyway!
                           And don't call me "junior", I happen to be 51 years old.

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 14:45

I'm behind on a few classics. The primary reason being that I want to listen to new music in an environment with no distractions so I can truly digest their material, and I'm too busy at this moment to have that luxury. But that'll turn around soon, God willing!

The biggest example that comes to mind is Gentle Giant, but I intend to remedy that soon enough. There are a few subgenres I haven't tapped into yet either, even a little. Again, will change in due time.

Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 15:48
I also haven't realized until now that I've never heard Gong either, despite them being right up my alley in both style and ethos. Sometimes I just want to listen to the audial equivalent of a sensationalistic book about the paranormal or a New Wave science-fiction novel obviously written under stronger influence from creative pharmacology than the natural sciences, preferably with a colourful psychedelic cover art and in paperback format.

-------------

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 16:42
For some reason i never listen to Led Zeppelin much any more,not sure why unless it's because i hear them so much on the local Classic Rock stations.I did crank up 4 tracks from Presence though yesterday.

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 01:28

^Hey, Richard, am i right that there is a Special Edition of Love Beach with a live track or two of songs  from that album  added on? I think that is probably what i will go for.

Doug, there is the 2001 release on Sanctuary that has 3 bonus tracks
Canario (Rehearsal 1978)
Taste Of My Love (Rehearsal 1978)
Letters For The Front (Rehearsal 1978)

these are quite interesting as they have a bit more energy and the power of Palmer's drumming is more evident than on the final 'weedy' mix.

They never performed it live ( can't imagine whyWink)

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 05:34

Yes-Relayer is a bucket-list must!  One of the most under-rated (and best) Yes albums (despite the absence of of Wakeman - although he composed most of the music played by Moraz on that album).  You can forget Tormato - it is a waste of your time and your ear audio-waves...

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 05:37
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Yes-Relayer is a bucket-list must!  One of the most under-rated (and best) Yes albums ... .
No, it's doing just fine. Here, on RYM, ... where else? ... 

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:11

I also haven't realized until now that I've never heard Gong either, despite them being right up my alley in both style and ethos. Sometimes I just want to listen to the audial equivalent of a sensationalistic book about the paranormal or a New Wave science-fiction novel obviously written under stronger influence from creative pharmacology than the natural sciences, preferably with a colourful psychedelic cover art and in paperback format.
You better duck and cover since there are a lot of Gong fans here.
I think 'You' is their best but there are some good tunes on all of their early LP's. The later ones went into more of a jazz fusion area.
Personally when I want to hear Hillage on guitar,   I play 'Khan'.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:13
^I reach for You or Fish Rising if I want a Hillage kick myselfBig smile

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:23
There's a lot of 70s prog albums I don't own yet. Nothing by Genesis or Yes yet, and only Brain Salad Surgery by ELP. Plenty of Pink Floyd in my collection though. And it's mainly because modern prog has grabbed me and speaks to me more.

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:43

^Believe it or not, i am still on old dail-up internet access, so i can't watch youtube videos thru my own computer, odd but true.
                   I can really get into long pieces or suites and going without vocals for a stretch does not hinder my appreciation of something.
                    Your refer to my "Top Ten", well, it is my top ten, and not based on any preconceived basis for a top ten, just my personal favorites, consisting of artists like Helmut Koellen and Dirk Steffens that not a whole lot of people give a hoot about, anyway!

Junior wasn't for you ... it was a generic comment. You deserve a lot more than that, and I know you are a good listener! Now go to the bathroom, fill up the tub, have a smoke and enjoy the heat! Then come back! Lord Byron used to say it was the great equalizer for the soul!

The top ten reference was not to you, and please stop thinking it was about you. It was about things in general. Too many folks here ask for the top this and that, and many times it is all they hear, and they do not check or know what the other stuff is all about. The word "classics" itself, applies to a small number of pieces, and guess what? ProgArchives is not that small, but their top ten (100 actually) ... really is, by comparison!

Sad to hear about dial up. Hopefull one day you can get a bit more than that.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Junior wasn't for you ... it was a generic comment. You deserve a lot more than that, and I know you are a good listener! Now go to the bathroom, fill up the tub, have a smoke and enjoy the heat! Then come back! Lord Byron used to say it was the great equalizer for the soul!

The top ten reference was not to you, and please stop thinking it was about you. It was about things in general. Too many folks here ask for the top this and that, and many times it is all they hear, and they do not check or know what the other stuff is all about. The word "classics" itself, applies to a small number of pieces, and guess what? ProgArchives is not that small, but their top ten (100 actually) ... really is, by comparison!

Sad to hear about dial up. Hopefull one day you can get a bit more than that.
Sorry, mosh, if I took your comments the wrong way. I see what you mean, now. I think I will take a warm bath, and then try to chill out! And give you a hug all the way from Ottawa!Hug

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:15
Never heard a single RPI classic LP.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:35
I suspect that I have heard most of the classics but "go back to your top ten, junior" was one I'd not heard before. 

Pinch

-------------
What?

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:41
The problem with answering is "what is a classic?"

However, in the spirit of other answers, whole swaths of RPI and Jethro Tull are the two that come to mind.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 12:35
Exile on Main Street

Why? No idea.

-------------

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 12:46
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Never heard a single RPI classic LP.
Check out the band Libra, they are a must for RPI!

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 14:53
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

The problem with answering is "what is a classic?"

For the purposes of this thread, I define it as a recording that's historically important to the development of its genre.

-------------

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 15:10
^If that's the case, I'll have to add a smattering of proto-prog to my list too. I'm familiar with a lot of the groups, but haven't heard a complete album from any single one, minus the obligatory Beatles selection anyone from that time or who had parents from that time grew up with, and for good reason. 

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 15:46
It indeed depends on your definition of classic. I would say that not having heard the main albums from bands like ELP, Yes, Genesis, KC etc is a crime if you consider yourself a prog lover. If you haven't heard them you can't hardly be truly aware of the full meaning of what Prog was / is. But for many, Gong's Flying Teapot is a classic but perhaps not for every progger. For others, Klaus Schulze's Timewind is a classic, for others not. Or Zappa or RPI or the Cardiacs or DT or many other styles, which may be greatly important to Prog per se but may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Personally I'm not into listening to music on the net so basically saying that "I have never listened to" means that I do not own the album. If I check PA's Top list the first I do not own are Peter Hamill's The Silent Corner (No 24), Zappa's One Size Fits All (No 44) and Wyatt's Rock Bottom (No 46), all of them long time in my "want to" list but always something else comes in between.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 15:48

Nowadays, that's silly. On top of it, it is all available at Youtube for free and it says "album" for you. You don't even have to buy it.

That's true but listening to good Prog in YT is like watching the night sky with sunglasses. I would not recommend it to anybody as you are likely to miss many of the nuances which make those albums so great.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 16:26
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

That's true but listening to good Prog in YT is like watching the night sky with sunglasses. I would not recommend it to anybody as you are likely to miss many of the nuances which make those albums so great.

Couldn't agree more. YT is fine for a preview but prog needs to be experienced fully.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 19:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

His guitar work is excellent on Fish but imo the songs aren't as good as the ones on Khan.
Smile

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 08:23
I'm ashamed to admit I've not let GLASS HAMMER grace my ears at all. I'd like to change that.
I also haven't heard Kayo Dot's, Choirs of The Eye. Heard some great things about Toby Driver, so I guess I better 'drive' that album into my ears. Otherwise, I think I'm fairly caught up for what I'm generally interested in at the moment.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

His guitar work is excellent on Fish but imo the songs aren't as good as the ones on Khan.
Smile

Ah yes. Da Hillage! I really enjoy his work with GONG. Loved the ANGELS EGG. Such an odd, yet lovely concept album. Long live ZERO DA HERO!

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 08:32
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Smile

Ah yes. Da Hillage! I really enjoy his work with GONG. Loved the ANGELS EGG. Such an odd, yet lovely concept album. Long live ZERO DA HERO!

All of the Gnome trilogy is sheer brilliance imo, but Angels Egg and You take the biscuit. 

Dr: Funny you should say that - I kinda feel the opposite, and I tend to go for the immature and naive in music. Fish Rising is for me all about the compositions and the general playfulness of it. Case in point Aftaglid:

I love the unconventional "melody" if you can call it that, how it's never really played only suggested by the guitar riffing that plays around it. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 09:42

Smile

All of the Gnome trilogy is sheer brilliance imo, but Angels Egg and You take the biscuit. 

Dr: Funny you should say that - I kinda feel the opposite, and I tend to go for the immature and naive in music. Fish Rising is for me all about the compositions and the general playfulness of it. Case in point Aftaglid:

I love the unconventional "melody" if you can call it that, how it's never really played only suggested by the guitar riffing that plays around it. 
Well....many have said that Fish Rising is basically Khan part 2,  but for me Khan is simply more polished and has better song structures but as I said the guitar is excellent on Fish....and You by Gong is a killer album.
I don't have a problem with 'immature and naïve' prog (for the most part); I just like the music on Khan better.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Anaon
Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 14:48
Henri Cow's In Praise of Learning... Actually, I probably never heard any RIO/Avant Prog albums...
Why? Well, it's just that I'm not sure to like this subgenre according to its definition... And I never found the album on CD at a good price LOL

-------------
My music: http://spleenarcana.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://spleenarcana.bandcamp.com/
My blog: http://groovesandmemories.com/" rel="nofollow - http://groovesandmemories.com/

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 22:58
Too many. Why? Because you can't have everything. 

Date Posted: February 19 2014 at 01:23

I'm ashamed to admit I've not let GLASS HAMMER grace my ears at all. I'd like to change that.

The Inconsolable Secret - 3 disc remastered version

the perfect place to start I reckonSmile

Date Posted: February 19 2014 at 04:36
Haven't heard any of the RIO stuff either, except maybe one or two Henry Cow songs. I just find it an instant turn-off when a band's entire concept revolves around an obvious political agenda because of how often the music suffers as a result of taking a backseat to ideology: It's not only my least favourite thing about punk, it's also the reason I find 95% of the more national-romanticist type of black metal a complete and utter chore to listen to.

-------------

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:45
In the Land of Grey and Pink is the only Caravan album I've heard, and for that matter, the only Canterbury album I've heard. I definitely like it, but my musical focus has been elsewhere, and so I have not explored the Canterbury scene yet. It's something I plan to do, it just may be a while before it happens.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 22:55
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Yes-Relayer is a bucket-list must!  One of the most under-rated (and best) Yes albums (despite the absence of of Wakeman - although he composed most of the music played by Moraz on that album).  You can forget Tormato - it is a waste of your time and your ear audio-waves...

Well you are right that Relayer is a must listen to any prog fan and is highly regarded by Yes fans but Wakeman didn't compose any of the music played by Moraz on Relayer. That never happened. Not only did he not compose it-- but Wakeman has said he could never have been on Relayer because it's music he couldn't play.

Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 16:28
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Couldn't agree more. YT is fine for a preview but prog needs to be experienced fully.

You both missed the point, I think.

It was basically stating, that at the very least, after 5 or 10 minutes, you would be able to say to yourself ... this requires more listening, or a different, and more serious listen.

BOOM

Now you know. I admit to being lazy to not listening to a lot of things, but using YT as an excuse for my lazyness is bad, and I can not do that. Not to mention that PA also has so many links that you can die before you get to listen to 5% of them in your lifetime!

A nuance is always there in music. The fidelity of that nuance, does not always change the appreciation of it, though it might want you to go listen to it within a better context than cheap mp3 format! The music is not different and its inherant "feeling" is not different. YOUR EXPERIENCE of that feeling that comes from it, is a bit different, though as your perception now hears something else from it.

At issue, and a problem is that most folks seem to be looking for "copies" and "lookalikes" with the same sound, and of course, any example is going to throw you off. Don't you think that would be your issue, not the music's?

Thus I have no issues, but I'm not going to waste my time listening to Rush of Kansas again. Doesn't mean I don't like them. There is just too much out there to go after that is far better and more interesting for my ears.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 09:16
agree with moshkito and get where he is coming from.Wink

Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 15:25

I'm 48 and I'm going to call you "junior" because, frankly, I'm confused. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 16:04
Hi,
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

agree with moshkito and get where he is coming from.Wink

I kinda was able to verbalize this better when I heard the Steven Wilson mixes for the first King Crimson album.
The fact that one instrument was here and the other over there, and later I moved 10 paces and now a different instrument is here and another is there, made no difference to my initial undersanding and vision of the work.

None whatsoever.

It became just "mechanics" and what I called the "psychic moment" that it happened will forever be there. I doubt that the moment itself can be "changed" from the original, and that moment is long gone in time. If anything, for me, the Steven Wilson remaster/remix was sloppy and cheesy, and simply trying to make it sound more like today's music that lacks personality and has it replaced by the slickness of the studio and the DAW's.

But there is a problem here. We never heard Beethoven and how it was done 150 years ago, so how can we say that this recording is better than that because it was remastered, or remixed.

In some ways, to me, that DEHUMANIZES the music, and I think we need to remember that.

Sorry Steven, but you are too lost in your mechanics to know an inner feeling, from an idea.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 16:13
..and so endeth the lesson for today.

-------------
What?

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 16:13
There's only one or two Rush albums I've listened to all the way through..
Because I always have to turn it off.  Not my thing

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: February 24 2014 at 01:05
Never really listened to Tarkus. Don't feel like I'm missing much given the rest of ELP that I've heard.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: February 24 2014 at 05:13
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Never really listened to Tarkus. Don't feel like I'm missing much given the rest of ELP that I've heard.
On that note: I've never listened to The Nice, because I found ELP to be very hit-and-miss and I have the impression that The Nice relied a lot on Keith Emerson's "playing noodly electronic cover versions of the classics" schtick, which was probably much more impressive at the time than it is today.

Side 1 of Tarkus is great though, easily the best thing ELP ever did. Though (perhaps because ELP's sense of humour doesn't really fly with me) I don't have much love for the second side of that album.

Date Posted: February 24 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

ELP, for me, is only worth listening to all the way up to Karn Evil.

Tarkus is excellent, as is the 1st album, and if someone is going to have/appreciate a "progressive" collection, both of those should be in there. That is the 1st and Tarkus.

In the past year, I got these CD's again, because in the end, this is a very special feeling in these 1st 2 albums!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 24 2014 at 14:08
Thumbs Up

although I still believe that Works Volume One is unfairly maligned much the same way that Tales From Topographic Oceans is

Pirates , Piano Concerto No 1 and a great version of Tank with orchestra. Copeland endorsed the long version of Fanfare For The Common Man. Play that loud and find out really just how good your stereo is.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: February 24 2014 at 15:20
King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Caravan, Soft Machine, VDGG, Gentle Giant, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso... and others i don't recall at the moment, unfortunately missed in such a UNIVERSE of great music i thiink i'll never finish discovering.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: February 24 2014 at 16:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Thumbs Up

although I still believe that Works Volume One is unfairly maligned much the same way that Tales From Topographic Oceans is

Pirates , Piano Concerto No 1 and a great version of Tank with orchestra. Copeland endorsed the long version of Fanfare For The Common Man. Play that loud and find out really just how good your stereo is.

In the two last minutes of the Piano Concerto you'll find the embryo of the theme to the Fellowship of the Ring.
I'm not sure Howard Shore has ever heard this piece of music though.  Interesting how a few chords or bars can coincide like that.

Date Posted: February 24 2014 at 23:47
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Caravan, Soft Machine, VDGG, Gentle Giant, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso... and others i don't recall at the moment, unfortunately missed in such a UNIVERSE of great music i thiink i'll never finish discovering.
Rick......go buy KC's  ITCOTCK asap.
It should be at least heard by anyone who is into prog on any level.

Big smile

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:19
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Thumbs Up

In the two last minutes of the Piano Concerto you'll find the embryo of the theme to the Fellowship of the Ring.
I'm not sure Howard Shore has ever heard this piece of music though.  Interesting how a few chords or bars can coincide like that.

Interesting.Apparently when writing his Piano Concerto, Emerson was heavily influenced by this.

Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 07:12

Big smile

Thanks for your suggestion, i'll take that in account, i've read in other thread about the different and/or the better phases of KC and they actually got me confused...

-------------

Posted By: JCDenton
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:18
Sometimes it's been a matter of not wanting to know all of what's publicly known as "best" on here. There are plenty of albums on the PA top 100 I haven't heard.
-I only know two tracks on Nursery Cryme.
-The only full album listen I've given to a RPI group was Io Sono Nato Libero
-Never checked out all of Moonmadness
-I've mostly left alone a lot of jazz rock/fusion albums along with RIO/Avant-Prog ones.
-also Gentle Giant for some reason Confused I'm still not sure why I haven't heard much of their stuff… at all!

Oh, that's right. Much of the two years I've been a Proghead was just looking for 15+ minute songs to listen to. I got over myself about two months ago. So now I'm probably gonna check out these albums more in the future...

-------------
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."

Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:21

Big smile

Thanks for your suggestion, i'll take that in account, i've read in other thread about the different and/or the better phases of KC and they actually got me confused...

Silly of me don't realize there's a lot of threads about King Crimson, but when it comes the KC turn i'll buy ITCOTCK.

-------------

Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 09:03

Silly of me don't realize there's a lot of threads about King Crimson, but when it comes the KC turn i'll buy ITCOTCK.

At least I think that this album is one of the most important ones in the progressive mode, and I do believe that it merits the attention. However, I'm not sure you're going to have a metalhead enjoy this ... that's a saxophone, not a screaming guitar! But it was much more "metal" then, than a lot of other things.

The album is too far out and way out there, but I think what throws people off is that no two pieces are similar or the same. The title piece and Epitath, maybe, but even then!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 16:38
I've never tried anything from Flower Kings or Spock's Beard, and I don't intend on doing so.

Other things, like Canterbury and Space rock, I might try to get into eventually. Always have wanted to try out Can and pick up the other Radio Gnome Invisible albums, and Hawkwind.

Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 03:08

At least I think that this album is one of the most important ones in the progressive mode, and I do believe that it merits the attention. However, I'm not sure you're going to have a metalhead enjoy this ... that's a saxophone, not a screaming guitar! But it was much more "metal" then, than a lot of other things.

The album is too far out and way out there, but I think what throws people off is that no two pieces are similar or the same. The title piece and Epitath, maybe, but even then!

Other bands in my check out list: The Enid, Amon Duul, Anglagard, Wallenstein, Focus, Nektar and Magma (these last three a lot of threads and suggestions in PA Forum).

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 04:51
Now that King Crimson came up, I realized I haven't heard Larks' Tongues in Aspic yet, probably because I've read more negative reviews of it than Starless and Bible Black or Red. Neither have I heard In the Wake of Poseidon nor Lizard, but I'm not sure either's considered a classic album.

-------------

Posted By: Dragontrouser
Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:08
I havent heard ANY King Crimson and very little Gentle Giant (although i still have Octopus but never play it). About 30 years ago I had 2 or 3 other albums by GGt. Havent explored Zappa much either - problem with such prolific artists is where do you start, and do you really want to get into a band with a huge back catalogue that would cost an arm and a leg to get on vinyl.

Posted By: Dragontrouser
Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

I've never tried anything from Flower Kings or Spock's Beard, and I don't intend on doing so.

Other things, like Canterbury and Space rock, I might try to get into eventually. Always have wanted to try out Can and pick up the other Radio Gnome Invisible albums, and Hawkwind.

I think Can and Gong are patchy - some great some poor. With Can i would try Future Days or Ege Bamyasi, with Gong maybe one of the trilogy. Caravan were a more consistent band i think, pretty good until prog started to get dumbed down into MOR in the late 1970s.

Posted By: jviola95
Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 16:31
Curved Air, The Enid, and Triumvirat come to mind. Haven't gotten around to listening to any of them, but I do plan on checking them out soon.

There's also a bunch of RIO bands that I still need to check out. I've only become interested in that style over the past 6 months or so, so I still have a lot of exploring to do. Stormy Six and Aksak Maboul are two that I have yet to listen to, for example. 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/jviola95

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 07:36
While reading Jon Cavanaugh's book about the recording of Piper at the Gates of Dawn I also realized I've never heard the entirety of neither Dark Side of the Moon nor Wish You Were Here. Overexposure on radio play of their big hits really killed both LPs for me prematurely.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 07:37
^ But you are going to resurrect the rest of the tracks on the albums, right?

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 07:59

While reading Jon Cavanaugh's book about the recording of Piper at the Gates of Dawn I also realized I've never heard the entirety of neither Dark Side of the Moon nor Wish You Were Here. Overexposure on radio play of their big hits really killed both LPs for me prematurely.
That's the silliest thing I've read on this forum in a very long time. LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 11:49
I freely admit there's quite a bit of music I avoid for rather irrational reasons.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 12:09
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
 It might be seen as rather neurotic, but and I can identify with your sentiment.

I also identify with this quote: "The fact that logic cannot satisfy us awakens an almost insatiable hunger for the irrational" (A.N. Wilson).

EDIT: I don't like this irritating code that's recently been coming up in my posts which seems to be Bitdefender though I can't find that on my system.  I'll try to do something about fixing it.

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 13:15
I guess I should mention that I also have a more rational one here: Going by the other PF albums I own (Piper, Saucerful, AHM, Animals and The Wall) it seems like I like them less and less as their music became more "normal" for lack of a better word.

-------------

Date Posted: March 29 2014 at 23:46

OUCH!!

But luckily both are concept albums and are meant to be heard in their entirety.
Maybe that might give some life to it for yourself. ;)

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 02:03
This over rated / over played thing.... if you are listening to radio and hearing the same old song and dance why not change stations? If something is over played then that is NOT the fault of the music or artist being over done. Undoubtedly many are over played, programmers (despite the first 4 letters therein) lack imagination and creativity and try to keep people controlled.

Are ELP really overdone on the radio? I thought it was 2 - 3 numbers at most. Karn Evil 9 Part 2, Fanfare, and Lucky Man, as ever. There are many terrific pieces on their releases to be explored. ELP are an albums band, not pop single time no matter how much some try to condition you into thinking so.

Listen to a jazz or classical station - which I've found not to suffer from rock or pop reactionary / format mind sets.

This way I can enjoy radio staples when I like not when someone else has decided I should hear them.
Once upon a time, a long long time ago Dark Side would never get played on radio and anyone wanting Sabbath was a metal head and a satanist. Apparently these were (are?) bad things.

Actually I'm amazed in portable music territory that radio still gets air time.

Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 05:17
Like I say, there's quite a bit of music I avoid for reasons I admit aren't completely rational. That I also on a personal subjective level find PF more musically interesting early on when they didn't completely know what they were doing is something different, though, and even if it wasn't so overplayed I wouldn't be that inclined to listen to Dark Side of the Moon as I am to Atom Heart Mother.

I've also never listened to any Gentle Giant LP but I'm neither sure they're historically important enough to count as a classic band. In their case it's because I find the cult surrounding the band annoying but I listen to plenty of artists with even more annoying fanbases. (Swans, for instance)

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 09:55
Swans has an annoying fan base?

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 10:06
I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves....

Ermm

I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves.

Approve

-------------
What?

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 10:09
And it goes like this...

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 10:14
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Swans has an annoying fan base?

I should know, I'm a member of it.

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 20:03
What kind of cult, exactly, surrounds Gentle Giant?  I am very curious because they don't have stuff like their own language.  All they can be accused of is of having a funny and adorable mascot.  Yeah, they have enthusiastic fans which is (a) just the same as any other band and (b) quite justified considering the significance of their work.

Date Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:07
It's more that every time GG are mentioned it's accompanied by (increasingly predictable) complaints that they weren't as popular as the other big UK prog rock bands of their generation... something I never see with Camel or Van der Graaf Generator for instance.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:14
Camel are not really at that level anyway.  The only thing going for them vis a vis the big prog rock bands is Latimer's solos.  

As for VDGG, there used to be an older bio on their page in the database which claimed that if there was one band that deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as the big ones, it was VDGG.  Or maybe I read it in one of the reviews, I can't recall.  At any rate, perhaps you haven't come across it but certainly there is a huge following for VDGG that regards them as the greatest band and all that and, predictably, finds the adulation heaped on Genesis or Yes unjustifiable.  It's just a chip on the shoulder syndrome, nothing more to it (and hardly a reason to avoid a band, as it's not THEIR doing).

Date Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:23
I'm talking about level of popularity, which can be objectively determined by way of concert/record sales and radio airplay, not about level of quality which I consider at least partially subjective.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:29
I know.  I am just saying there isn't really a very convincing argument to include Camel in the same bracket as the big prog rock bands.  Further, they came a bit later and were kind of derivative of the older bands whereas GG debuted in 1970.  I am afraid I cannot explain this matter further unless you actually listen to the respective bands.  But what you described above is hardly cultish, it's pretty normal among fans of bands with a large discography that didn't however become massively popular.

Date Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:35
Yeah, I feel the same way with Voivod vis-a-vis the other most important 1980s prog metal groups. Thing is that I don't harp on it that way, because for me it's pretty clear why they don't command the same kind of following at all.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:37
And no more do I as an individual lament the lack of popularity of GG or any other band whose work I am fond of.  All I am saying is fans' opinions have no connection with the band themselves and the focus should be on their work, right?

Date Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:42
Of course, my original point being that there is a lot of music I avoid for reasons I know aren't justifiable.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk