Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97168
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 20:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tarkus
Posted By: chopper
Subject: Tarkus
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 06:26
This time it's Tarkus and the live version is different to the studio as it includes a snippet of "Epitaph" and a wonderous version of Aquatarkus that completely trounces the studio version.

As you may have guessed, I prefer the live version.

Replies:
Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 06:27
I like both, but the studio version is the first time I relaised ELP were genius's so thats my pick.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 06:33
The studio version is amazing , but as Chopper says the extended Aquartakus is a massive bonus on the live version. I think also the band are slightly more fluid on the live version although I've heard some ELP fans complain that certain details are missing on that version. For instance Mass has that organ section where Emerson just seems to be tickling the thing. On the live version it goes full throttle without that 'choppy' bit. The studio version also has the sublime engineering of Offord.
Should be an interesting poll.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:01
I prefer the beginning of the studio version and the ending of the live version.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:10
Studio for me.I've played that LP many times & never gets old.Always loved the Cover & innner of the gatefold.

Posted By: I-Juca Pirama
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 13:36
Studio

-------------
Without charity, there is no salvation

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 14:49
Studio

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 18:29
In this case I go with the studio version. Actually, I generally prefer ELP on the studio.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 16 2014 at 23:03
Live! I love the inclusion of a snippet of Epitaph at the end.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 01:40
There is an excellent live version on the Nassau Coliseum 2 CD from 1978. They miss out Manticore and Battlefield but Aquatarkus is just brilliant and even tighter than on the 1974 version. This is a good alternative if you don't want to wait 20 minutes before getting to the Aquartarkus section.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 19:34
Studio

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 20:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

There is an excellent live version on the Nassau Coliseum 2 CD from 1978. They miss out Manticore and Battlefield but Aquatarkus is just brilliant and even tighter than on the 1974 version. This is a good alternative if you don't want to wait 20 minutes before getting to the Aquartarkus section.

No, missing "Battlefield" is enough to dismiss that version for me. Though I would gladly skip the "Mass" section, and I don't remember well, perhaps also the sections before and after that one.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: February 17 2014 at 23:34
The studio version.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 03:24
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

This time it's Tarkus and the live version is different to the studio as it includes a snippet of "Epitaph" and a wonderous version of Aquatarkus that completely trounces the studio version.

Having just listened to the studio version, I think part of the reason I prefer the live one is that I heard it long before I ever got round to hearing the studio version and consequently it sounds really slow and ploddy to me. Also, when I hear the studio version of Aquatarkus, I can't help thinking of a marching duck.

I must say I don't understand the grief that side 2 of Tarkus gets - I like it, even Are You Ready Eddy (they've only got ham or cheese).

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 04:53

Having just listened to the studio version, I think part of the reason I prefer the live one is that I heard it long before I ever got round to hearing the studio version and consequently it sounds really slow and ploddy to me. Also, when I hear the studio version of Aquatarkus, I can't help thinking of a marching duck.
I must say I don't understand the grief that side 2 of Tarkus gets - I like it, even Are You Ready Eddy (they've only got ham or cheese).

That may be what it is. I heard the studio version first and prefer that to the live version. The live version sounds like a rush to the finished line, and loses a lot of the impact of the original, imo.

I remember I heard the Exit Stage left version of Xanadu before the original, and have always preferred the live version.. Studio version sounds weak in comparison.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 04:55
I've never understood why so many think side two of Tarkus is lousy either. The only things I find wrong with it are the Infinite Space piano instrumental which is a bit dull and repetitive, and the rather cringe-inducing line about "six million Jews" on The Only Way. Other than that it's the usual ELP mix of ballsy rockers, classical bombast and jokey songs. In fact I probably listen to side 2 more than side 1 (yes I have no taste!). My favourite version of Tarkus is the Nassau Coliseum one Richard mentioned, Emerson really is on top form there.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 06:36
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I remember I heard the Exit Stage left version of Xanadu before the original, and have always preferred the live version.. Studio version sounds weak in comparison.

I'll have to differ with you on that one Andy. I prefer the studio version.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 06:48
Studio

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 07:00
Studio, but have you heard of this?

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 15:20
^Saw them do it at the Hammersmith Apollo ( Odeon as was). Interesting 'split' concert. Dave Kilminster was the guitarist if I remember correctly , later popping up in Roger Waters band. No Greg Lake is the problem with any versions of Tarkus that is not by ELP as a band. No substitute for his rich baritone although Marc Bonilla has done a decent job fronting The Keith Emerson band in recent years.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk