Print Page | Close Window

Gentle Giant

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97217
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 14:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gentle Giant
Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Subject: Gentle Giant
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 18:52
Hey Guys & Gals-I see alot of talk about Gentle Giant on here.This is a band i never ever listened to until today i listened to Wreck on youtube.I think i might be hooked.Which LP should a new fan start out with? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I don't want to start with the worst one-if there is a bad one.
Thanks
Jeff

Replies:
Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 19:37
you can safely start with their debut and work your way up chronologically

or you can start with free hand and work your way down

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 20:14
I guess it depends on what kind of sound you are looking for.

Blues/hard/folk rock with symph prog? - Gentle Giant and Three Friends.
Dissonance and quirkiness (and medieval jazz, as some people refer to it) ? - Acquiring the Taste (with a bit of symph to it), Octopus, In a Glass House (a chamber-y one), The Power and the Glory (if you want a bit of funkiness), and Free Hand.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

My personal favorite is Three Friends, a rather unpopular choice.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 20:19
Free Hand is the only one that could keep my interest. Very consistent album. I'd start there and go backward. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 20:26
Chron·o·log·i·cal

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 20:26
Try The Missing Piece, not their best, but not their worst, either. Great album.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 20:47
I agree with the Free Hand Suggestion. That's a good entry point. I was lukewarm on GG until I heard that one. Now I have them all.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Gryphon
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 22:31
gentle giant is my favorite prog rock era band*. for a newbie, I'd say; start with 'octopus' (their fourth). I wouldn't recommend 'the missing piece' or the two albums they made after that one. they lost it, unfortunately...

*along with with peter gabriel genesis.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 22:53
Start with their live album Playing The Fool.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 23:28
I'd do it chronologically

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 23:45
My favorite, and the one that hooked me, is The Power and the Glory.

However, if you liked "Wreck," then hell, get Acquiring the Taste, my second favorite Gentle Giant album!

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 01:17
Octopus is probably their 'rockiest' and in some ways 'straighforward' ( for GG that is). Interview hasn't been mentioned which is a shame. The title track is a belter.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 01:28
Gentle Giant through Interview (and Playing The Fool) are essential. Any order will do. but I'll suggest this one:

Octopus
The Power & The Glory
S/t
Acquiring The Taste
Free Hand

Chronologically also works.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 05:24
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. After digesting all your input and doing some more research i think i'll start with Octopus and Aquiring The Taste.Heck i'll evetually have them all except the last 2 they did anyway.

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 06:19
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. After digesting all your input and doing some more research i think i'll start with Octopus and Aquiing The Taste.

That's where I started.  Good choice.  I went from there to Gentle Giant and Three Friends, both of which I enjoyed, then to In A Glass House, which I just can't seem to enjoy, and chronologically forward through Interview, all of which I have enjoyed.

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 08:27
I started from Octopus. And it's still my fave.

It takes time to acquire the GG's taste but it's worth it.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I'd do it chronologically

Posted By: poeghost
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 18:52
I'm a new fan of Gentle Giant myself. I started with "Free Hand", then got "Acquiring the Taste" and then "Octopus". All of these albums are wonderful! I definitely will get more.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 21 2014 at 23:09
I would think chronologically. My favourite albums are the first two, and then they started to loose the things I liked from them. But then it seems most GG fans wouldn't agree with my taste for the band. Actually, the first album I got was "Playing the Fool" and I almost didn't get anything else after that because I didn't like it at all.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 05:10
Three Friends is probably their most accessible album.  Octopus could also do the trick.  Keep Acquiring The Taste for later, it does live up to its name.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 05:25
One, two and three Thumbs Up

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 07:19
Chronologically wouldn't be a bad approach.  I got hooked on The Power And The Glory and was fortunate enough to become a fan when they were still active.  Saw them on the Civilian tour in Atlanta and I think they only did five more shows on that tour after that.  Civilian doesn't get a lot of respect around here but I like it.  Not as much as their earlier stuff and Giant For A Day was pretty much the band hitting bottom with regards to prog.  I hated it at the time but have warmed up to it some. heheheheh 

I suppose you could start with the worst rated one and work your way out.  That might be rather interesting.

Do be aware that there are DVDs of them live.  Perhaps start there.  Or if you want a good old live assortment when they were at their proggy peak - Playing The Fool.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 22 2014 at 16:54
Hi,

Like Slart, I recommend the correct order. They get more rock music oriented as time goes by, whereas the earlier stuff is probably more outlandish and less about a song, for my ears.

But it seems I always recommend things in their order, more often, there is a logic in there that really helps understand the music, and it might be one person, or simply a design, or concept, and total change. It will make better sense, in its proper context than otherwise, I always think.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Genital Giant
Date Posted: February 23 2014 at 17:25
 I would actually start with the live album, Playing The Fool, Gentle Giant sounded much better live than on record (where they could sound a little stiff sometimes, with some stale production on some albums) and you get an overview of most of their best material on that album. It's a great album to start with, it's Gentle Giant at their peak playing their best material.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 09:57
I've never listened too Gentle Giant. So which album should i start listening to first

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 10:03
^ Pick any of the first 8 albums, you pretty much can't go wrong. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 10:59
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I've never listened too Gentle Giant. So which album should i start listening to first
Isn't that the OP's question? Read the replies.

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 13:33
Get every album chronologically and listen to how one of the most incredible bands ever evolved. Even at the end when they tried to conform a bit with the new wave & punk revolution they were far and beyond better songwriters than their contemporaries. I wish I was back at the beginning learning & listening to the genius that is Gentle Giant!

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 22:56
Chronologically would be best.
I agree that both Missing Piece and Giant for a Day are both not worth listening to, they are quite weak by any standards, but if you forget your GG expectations, Civillian is a very good album in a straight forward rock sense. If they had gone on like that, I for one would continued getting their LPs.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 01:57
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Chronologically would be best.
I agree that both Missing Piece and Giant for a Day are both not worth listening to, they are quite weak by any standards, but if you forget your GG expectations, Civillian is a very good album in a straight forward rock sense. If they had gone on like that, I for one would continued getting their LPs.

One shouldn't dismiss The Missing Piece completely; side 2 of the LP has all good to great tracks.....Old As You're Young, Memories of Old Days, Winning and especially For Nobody...the latter being my favourite prog rock GG composition of all time.
Admitedly side 1 is dire.....although I do like Two Weeks in Spain but the rest are awful.

Giant for a Day is terrible but Civilian is very underrated; I really do like it. I got into them in 1977 and felt that Civilian was a great attempt at sophisticated New Wave Rock with progressive elements. C'mon everyone stop poo pooing Civilian and appreciate the quality of the songs and musciianship.

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 03:14
@BarryGlib: Yes, I have to agree, I was a bit hasty with my dismissal of Missing Piece, the tracks you mention are very good indeed.
I suppose I was and am disappointed with the direction GG was partially taking with this album. As you say, there are excellent tracks, but then there are also quite disappointing ones, which was new for any GG release.
Giant for a Day seemed a desperate misstep in search of a new identity, whereas Civillian was a second change of direction which could have lead to tremendous things. Sadly, not to be.

Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 03:20
For Nobody is a great track. I love GG in that mode.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 19:39
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Try The Missing Piece, not their best, but not their worst, either. Great album.

Has 2 of my fave GG songs. As old as you're young and Winning

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 21:35
Octopus was the one I got into first, but, oddly enough, it's my least favorite of the GG 8.

Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 11:08
Well still can't make my mind up with which Gentle Giant LP to start with.I see a Best Of on Ebay called Gentle Giant Giant Steps The First Five Years 2 CD compilation.It has the cool song Wreck on it which i like.Maybe i should start with this? But my god i hate the cover of it,couldn't anyone come up with a better cover than that?
Any thought or suggestions appreciated. Any other best of or anthologys out there i don't know about?
Thanks Jeff

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 11:23

Well still can't make my mind up with which Gentle Giant LP to start with.I see a Best Of on Ebay called Gentle Giant Giant Steps The First Five Years 2 CD compilation.It has the cool song Wreck on it which i like.Maybe i should start with this? But my god i hate the cover of it,couldn't anyone come up with a better cover than that?
Any thought or suggestions appreciated. Any other best of or anthologys out there i don't know about?
Thanks Jeff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentle_Giant#Compilations" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentle_Giant#Compilations

Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 14:46
Ok-Here's what i just did.I bought the 2 CD Compilation GG Edge Of Twilight.This should give me a good overall impression of what Gentle Giant is all about.If i feel the need then i'll start getting each album.

Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 16:11
^ Sounds very reasonable.

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 21:15
Gentle Giant are very, very well known in all prog circles I have encountered except this site. MOst on here seem obsessed with PT and DT. Tongue I'd say after KC they are probably the most well known prog band(not counting the other obvious bands).Anyway, my favorite is probably Octopus but any of their 70-75 albums are great and true classics imo.

Date Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Isn't that the OP's question? Read the replies.

He had too much to drink, and dope, and thus, is not suited to listening to any Gentle Giant album.

We should lock him up with some Third Ear Band for 5 hours. That ought to get him set straight!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:03
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

Get every album chronologically and listen to how one of the most incredible bands ever evolved. Even at the end when they tried to conform a bit with the new wave & punk revolution they were far and beyond better songwriters than their contemporaries. I wish I was back at the beginning learning & listening to the genius that is Gentle Giant!

This was even more impressive at the time!

Today, it gets lost in the laundry water, and you can't tell the difference any more and most people don't care.

At the time, there was nothing, absolutely nothing, that tore up music, like they did, and listening to it was an insane pleasure. You just stood there, and wonder ... did they just do that?

Also, on the show I did, they did musical chairs for the encore, and every one played every instrument. Funny one was when one of them sat on the drummer stool picked up the drum stix, looked at them and threw them away and played all these drums with his hands! Nutz!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:47
Really like the first and Acquiring the Taste  but also enjoy Free Hand and Power and the Glory.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 01:22

Ok-Here's what i just did.I bought the 2 CD Compilation GG Edge Of Twilight.This should give me a good overall impression of what Gentle Giant is all about.If i feel the need then i'll start getting each album.

that what I did and I came to the conclusion that it was a mistake. Its a lot of GG to take in one go. My feeble little brain couldn't  'process' it all. When I started listening to the albums as released then I started to make some sense of it all.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:28
There is more usage of the mellotron on the first 3 albums. The sound of their vocal harmonies is reminiscent of the style and approach discovered in early church music. They came up with the idea to fuse that with Rock and as an addition they mastered counterpoint and creatively composed interplays between players in the band to exist within the composition. To a degree...(and in the early days), they sometimes... intentionally or unintentionally..sounded or reminded one of King Crimson. After Octopus they lost Phil Shulman and the band didn't feel confident over the end product of In A Glass House. On Power and the Glory...the band seemed to take on the influence of YES. It was even more evident on Free Hand and on The Missing Piece there is an indication that they might be influenced by Genesis of 79'. The darker sound/side to the band existed early on and they gradually sacrificed a percentage of it when they began to emulate a subtle YES sound.

Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 14:33
^ So was Leave It , Yes returning the 'favour'?

Posted By: ProgVanWinkle
Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 18:47
I'll never forget that I TRULY appreciated what Gentle Giant did when I saw a tribute band (Gary Green was in attendance as well) do them.

Sure, I had all their albums, but actually seeing what it took to execute what they had written was a revelation to me.

They got lost in the shuffle for me back in the 70s.  I liked them, but their was so much cutting edge prog back then!  AND they were ahead of their time.

Date Posted: March 08 2014 at 15:27
Good News-I got the 2 CD Gentle Giant Edge Of Twilight In todays mail.I've listened to Wreck so far which i really like.I'm skimming around giving a listen to other tracks.I grew up on Black Sabbath,Blue Oyster Cult,Deep Purple,etc so this music might have to grow on me.I'm really liking what i'm hearing now though,don't know what track it is.Wish me luck i shall report back!

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 04:18
Funny Ways was probably the first GG track I really liked. Alucard was also close and The Moon Is Down. That compilation covers their early albums extremely well. Pretty much all of the first two albums and Octopus are on it so it will leave you with a dilemma about whether to get  those albums seperately and then end up duplicating most of what you have already.

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 09:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Funny Ways was probably the first GG track I really liked. Alucard was also close and The Moon Is Down. That compilation covers their early albums extremely well. Pretty much all of the first two albums and Octopus are on it so it will leave you with a dilemma about whether to get  those albums seperately and then end up duplicating most of what you have already.
Yes sir you are correct here i have a delimma in the making.I could get lucky someday & score every GG LP at a yard sale for $1.00 each.

Posted By: ProgIta
Date Posted: March 30 2014 at 11:54
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

My personal favorite is Three Friends, a rather unpopular choice.
also my,
i think that the GG are the most great progressive band, despite some passages very little digestible! (IMHO).

-------------
No, cosa sono adesso non lo so
sono come, un uomo in cerca di se stesso
no, cosa sono adesso non lo so
sono solo, solo il suono del mio passo...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk