Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97298
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 21:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Japanese Non-Prog Thread
Posted By: Polymorphia
Subject: Japanese Non-Prog Thread
Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:04
Perhaps I'm becoming more of a Japanophile than I should be, but I wanted to create a thread for Japanese non-prog, from classical to jazz to pop to rock to anime soundtracks to noise (so I didn't have to post this stuff in the Shred all the time). The far east in general doesn't get much attention, but Japan is a country that is particularly fertile creatively, and it's a real shame the artists don't get mentioned much in the west. 

While the thread is certainly open to anyone that wants to participate, I'm going to try to keep my additions to once or twice a week and would ask that those of you who wish to participate to do the same. We don't want it to get overwhelming for interested listeners and it's certainly more fun to be able to check up every once and a while to find something new. Also, keep it to two videos tops, when you do post.

So the first artist I will post is a classical composer by the name of Toru Takemitsu. Influences from impressionism, modernism, and Japanese folk music abound, but it's his subtle manipulation of timbre that makes it just completely delicious.

Dream/Window (1984)

Bryce (1976)

Replies:
Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:43
Since I had it open when I saw this thread,

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:57
I've been starting to get into L'Arc ~en Ciel recently, their first album Dune is excellent and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:58

^___^

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:47
^Geinoh Yamashirogumi!

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 23:41
Loudness Headbanger

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 02:49
How 'bout Japanese ENKA?

LOL

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:57
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by A 
Person A Person wrote:

I read "moe".
Jam bands are some of the least likely bands I'd expect to be associated with moe (next to metal). LOL

Headbanger

Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 12:17
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

How 'bout Japanese ENKA?
More than welcome here Smile

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I read "moe".
Jam bands are some of the least likely bands I'd expect to be associated with moe (next to metal). LOL

(Baby Metal video here)
Headbanger
That is the cutest metal I have ever heard. Embarrassed

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 13:07
As a one-time goff, I do like me a slice of visual kei/j-rock, especially if it's OTT in symphonic and gothic melodrama

(didn't add Dir en Grey or Black Mages videos to the list as they are on the PA as Porg Bands ... though why is anyone's guess)

Shame the CDs are so dogam expensive in the UK.

-------------
What?

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 14:10
I love some Anime and its music. Saw Akira up there, love that movie and own it. Love J Rock and  J Pop at least what I have heard.
And this might sound blasphemous, but  I like something almost as much as Prog and that is...

http://japandaman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/perfume_spice.jpg

PERFUME!!!! I have every album by them and one live dvd! Their latest Level 3 is my favorite album of 2013, even over the wonderful prog releases. It was a masterpiece!

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 11:26
Perfume are great. My favorite album of theirs is still 'GAME' but their newest (Level 3) is quite good as well.

My contribution will be for those into the garish heavy symphonic metal stuff with a bit of gothic flair: Liv Moon
I'm all about this group, great singing, serious talent, very adventurous:

They can get pretty over-the-top in a way I enjoy
Crazy guitar solo at 2:40

Some nice mellow tunes. This one has an early KATE BUSH vibe (but a bit louder)

Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 12:49
Level 3 is definitely my favorite Perfume.

Also, still listening to new Kyary k

Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 09:25
Level 3 is my favorite too, I think they get better with each album could not believe they could top JPN. Though Game does have Polyrhythm which is the essential Perfume track. All their albums are wonderful.  

I love Kyary.  Pon Pon Pon is so awesome and the video is just ridiculous. I watched a video where Katy Perry and Kyary meet. Katy was so enthralled with her. KAWAII to the max ha ha!!!

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 10:01
Japanese non-prog music that I've been listening lately:
1) Junko Ueda playing satsuma biwa music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXueEatnaE" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXueEatnaE

2) Etsuko Chida (I had the luck to see her play a mini-concert in the City of Music in Paris in december):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtkV-gQipM" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtkV-gQipM

Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 10:45
Nice stuff guys. My second contribution for the week will be Jun Togawa (from Guernica). She made some odd new wave-y stuff in the 80s that I find just delicious.

Radar Man

Teinen Pushiganga

Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 18:14
Another contribution: RURUTIA

Secretive singer/composer whose music is matched by her voice. Though not a technical powerhouse, her tone is amazing and quite unique. Imagine Francoise Hardy as a young Japanese woman. Her dream-pop music can get really trippy at times, blending well with her voice to create a gorgeous atmosphere.

The last third of this mini-epic should send This Mortal Coil fans to a sea of ecstasy.

Is it me or does the guitar possess that tone like The Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" days?

Favorite album of hers is 'Promised Land' (masterful), but 'Water Forest' and 'Meme' also have great stuff. Love her.

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 16:28
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Japanese non-prog music that I've been listening lately:
1) Junko Ueda playing satsuma biwa music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXueEatnaE" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXueEatnaE

nice. do you know Kinshi Tsuruta? she was Junko Ueda's sensei. her discs on Ocora and King Records (labels) are both outstanding.

Date Posted: March 02 2014 at 22:45

Date Posted: March 02 2014 at 23:19
Matt, I wanna cry.

Date Posted: March 02 2014 at 23:23
Utada Hikaru is great <3

Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 09:41
My first contribution for the week is anime soundtrack composer Taku Iwasaki. Usually the anime he scores aren't great (some of them are pretty bad), but his scores are always great and make the anime worth watching.

Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 10:26

Utada Hikaru is great <3

Yes. Love the theme songs from Kingdom Hearts:)

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:13
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

nice. do you know Kinshi Tsuruta? she was Junko Ueda's sensei. her discs on Ocora and King Records (labels) are both outstanding.

I will try to locate her records: the Ocore discs should be easy to find in the musical libraries of Paris (well, at least, that's what one can hope!)

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:16
My friend just sent me a BABYMETAL video by email yesterday, that was pretty cool.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:25
Matt posted a Babymetal video earlier when I questioned whether metal and moe could ever go together. LOL I suppose I should have seen it coming.

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 21:44
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

I will try to locate her records: the Ocore discs should be easy to find in the musical libraries of Paris (well, at least, that's what one can hope!)

the Ocora disc should be pretty easy to find. King Records has been defunct for a while now. both discs are three tracks long and two of the three are the same songs, but have different orchestration.

----------

anyone else like やくしまるえつこ(Etsuko Yakushimaru)? i fell in love with her voice back in 2010 when watching The Tatami Galaxy, used to look forward the ending every week.

Penguin Drum theme

and the final track from her album last year

Date Posted: March 03 2014 at 23:05
^I adore Etsuko Yakushimaru! I was going to share her album with the band d. v. d. "Blu-Day" next.

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: March 04 2014 at 05:14
Modern Japanese music doesn't come less progressive than Coffins. That said, their "Eyehategod/Noothgrush sludge through Celtic Frost-derived death metal" style is fairly unique and few bands do one-dimensional bludgeoning heaviness better.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 18:58
Second contribution for the week: the rocking Shiina Ringo

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 22:13
Otomo Yoshihide and Merzbow are the two that come to mind immediately.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 11:33
Shiina Ringo was my gateway girl to Japanese music back in 2001. I own 'Shoso Strip' and 'Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana' on CD as well as her jazz-rock ensemble Tokyo Jihen's 'Adult' CD.
She's awesome, creative and a quality musician, but I will say that as much as I'll always have high regards for Shoso Strip, a remaster would be nice. That bugger is even more difficult to take than Rush' Vapor Trails.

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 12:31

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 12:39
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Shiina Ringo was my gateway girl to Japanese music back in 2001. I own 'Shoso Strip' and 'Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana' on CD as well as her jazz-rock ensemble Tokyo Jihen's 'Adult' CD.
She's awesome, creative and a quality musician, but I will say that as much as I'll always have high regards for Shoso Strip, a remaster would be nice. That bugger is even more difficult to take than Rush' Vapor Trails.
I find the busy production exhilarating, but can see how it might seem jarring to some.

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 18:07

I find the busy production exhilarating, but can see how it might seem jarring to some.

The music itself is fantastic...what I meant was the the post-production in regards to the CD is seriously compressed and brickwalled...lots of clipping. I would love it if an LP version of Shoso Strip was out there, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Date Posted: March 07 2014 at 21:14

The music itself is fantastic...what I meant was the the post-production in regards to the CD is seriously compressed and brickwalled...lots of clipping. I would love it if an LP version of Shoso Strip was out there, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Ah, I see what you mean. 

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 15:57

<3

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 20:03
A pretty well-known one, but here's Pizzicato Five:

Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 10:10
Fantastic stuff from UA:

Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 10:13
btw, I meant to say I really liked the Dhal track.

Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:23
I got two Pizicatto Five Cds. Best music to listen to on a nice Spring Day next to Perfume:)

Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:58
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

I got to Pizicatto Five Cds. Best music to listen to on a nice Spring Day next to Perfume:)
Right on. I need to listen to more Perfume.

Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 17:47

Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 20:07

I got to Pizicatto Five Cds. Best music to listen to on a nice Spring Day next to Perfume:)

I've actually been listening to their debut album recently, interestingly titled 'Perfume Complete Best'. Big smile
Man there's some wild stuff on it. "Linear Motor Girl" is, as I've heard someone call it, some kind of dystopian future pop, and "Electro World" is rockin' greatness...one of their best songs I think.

Still, I think 'Game' or 'Level 3' is where to start, then 'Triangle' & 'JPN'. The debut is a little kooky to start with, but it's worth checking out.

Date Posted: March 22 2014 at 22:57

I've actually been listening to their debut album recently, interestingly titled 'Perfume Complete Best'. Big smile
Man there's some wild stuff on it. "Linear Motor Girl" is, as I've heard someone call it, some kind of dystopian future pop, and "Electro World" is rockin' greatness...one of their best songs I think.

Still, I think 'Game' or 'Level 3' is where to start, then 'Triangle' & 'JPN'. The debut is a little kooky to start with, but it's worth checking out.

Agreed. Electro World is so good. But yeah Perfume is the best.

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: March 23 2014 at 13:07
No mention of Melt-Banana?  I love me some Melties.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: March 23 2014 at 16:21
Melt-Banana is gud. Steve (HolyMoly) listens to them, I think.

Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 23:13
DO ZE BOOGEYYYY

Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 22:34
New Kyary Pamyu Pamyu song k

Posted By: Pastor Rex Cat
Date Posted: April 09 2014 at 04:57
The Plastics.
Some of the best new wave ever made IMO. Thumbs Up

-------------
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!

Date Posted: April 09 2014 at 20:35

Cyntia 

Japanese ladies meshing power metal with AOR hard rock to make some of the slickest party metal I've heard in a long while. Very talented musicians, gorgeous soloing, exceptional drumming and lots of hooks. All three of their albums are cool, and I've been following them since their inception. The singer was a bit shrill during their early stages, but she's improved dramatically with each release to the point where she's quite easy on the ears, and not just the eyes.

Date Posted: April 14 2014 at 10:57
Fantastic, fantastic Singer/Songwriter Akiko Yano, who was one of my main entry points for Japanese music:

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: April 14 2014 at 18:04
^ As you may know, she's got married with Ryuichi Sakamoto, one of founders of Yellow Magic Orchestra. Wink

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 15 2014 at 11:49
Shocked did not know that. I've only listened to a little bit of YMO so I'll have to explore them more thoroughly.

Posted By: Pastor Rex Cat
Date Posted: April 15 2014 at 14:31
Global Metal (excerpt)

-------------
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!

Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 09:37
Perfume just released a new live blu ray. 4th Tour in the Dome Tokyo. The official trailer on their youtube channel is so awesome. It's super expensive right now only coming out of Japan. Hopefully it get cheaper, it'll always be expensive period. Still worth it to me:)

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 13:44
I just noticed this thread! I need to look further south a little more often.

My foray into Things Japan began in the '90s. After beginning with the prog bands, I discovered the lovely psychedelic shadings of Angel'in Heavy Syrup. At the time, IV was still somewhat new, though it was fated to be the girls' final album. The first CD was still obtainable, but the third and fourth were and are, AFAIK, hopeless OOP. I eventually secured them at a substantial cost. A'iHS were a fantastic band, though, from the very note of the first album to the fade-out on the fourth. Here's "Voyage" from IV.

Another more alt-rock sounding all-girl band I like is Noodles. They're now down to a trio, but I prefer the earlier albums starting with the first one, Slow Coaster.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 12:04
Been listening to some perfume lately and really enjoying it.

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 15:52
Let's not let this thread die so soon k
Inu:

Shinichi Yuize:

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 23:43

Been listening to some perfume lately and really enjoying it.

Yes! Level 3 is my 2013 album of the year. I listen to them so much, sorry to my prog interest, it's suffering to this Japanese trio.

Date Posted: May 22 2014 at 13:42

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2014 at 13:15
I discovered this band Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas. They are like Hardcore/metalcore electronica. I really dig their stuff. Their music videos are sweet too!
Any thoughts on visual kei bands too?

Date Posted: May 23 2014 at 17:47
Dean actually posted some visual kei bands a while ago. That's about all I've heard. It was cool stuff, but a little gothy for my tastes. At least until I hit a goth rock phase again.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2014 at 22:18
http://leeeeee.bandcamp.com/album/shine" rel="nofollow - http://leeeeee.bandcamp.com/album/shine

Phenomenal Japanese producer living in Thailand. Comparable to Flying Lotus.

-------------

Posted By: King Only
Date Posted: June 08 2014 at 13:14
One of my favorite Japanese bands is SUPERCAR.

Date Posted: June 19 2014 at 20:50
Been enjoying lots of Ningen Isu lately. Sabbathy metal & hard rock, and fun too.

Date Posted: June 21 2014 at 21:48
Well I'll be damned...just realized they're on the Archives under heavy prog. Might have to bust out a couple of reviews.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 14:49
Watching RahXephon and this gem was its ending theme:

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk