Subject: Some Emerson, Lake & Palmer Songs
Date Posted: February 25 2014 at 23:25
Which of these five do you prefer?

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 00:03
I'll be the first and say 'A Time And A Place' - great little song, this. If it were 'Endless Enigma 1/Fugue/Endless Enigma 2 then that would get the vote. Tank is always a goodie, but that last riff with the Moog always reminds me of a 'Super-Gran' theme. 'Pirates' was the best piece the band did in that 'Works' period and 'Still...You Turn Me On' is O.K. but far from a personal fave....

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 00:05
Tank

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 00:20
I quite enjoy the jauntiness of Pirates.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 00:25
Endless Enigma

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 00:46
Pirates is about 90 times better than the rest of the album it is on

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 01:39
Pirates is possibly my favourite ELP track. Check out the version on the Manticore Box Set. Its not that diffeent but its slightly 'beefed up' from the original album. 

Tank is okay , quite a nice Buddy Rich 'pastiche' but with synths instead of a big band. (typical of ELP)

A Time And A Place is great little rock number and has a very live feel. I love the cranking up of the Moog at the end( again typical ELP)

The Endless Enigma was ELP's attempt to enter into Yes cosmic/spiritual world but with a cynical edge. It feels forced and not typical ELP although Greg Lake was at his peak as a singer by this point and could make anything sound good. Palmer is a star as well. Emerson chucks in some random keyboard fills that add little. Overall a bit disjointed but its a track that is surprisingly popular. Not a bad opener though.

Still You Turn Me On. Almost the weakest track off their best album. Benny probably gets that 'award' though.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 02:10
Tank, a great track from a great album.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 02:52
EE1 .

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 03:02
The Endless enigma is the song which introduced me to prog.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: LSDisease
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 03:55
Enigma was the first ELP song I got into

-------------
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 04:22
Endless enigma

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 05:25
I can't choose between Pirates and A Time and A Place, which are my two favourites from these tracks and both great in their different ways. Much prefer the Works 1 version of Tank which loses the drum solo and swings more with the addition of brass, plus Palmer's drumming is more powerful. My favourite part of Endless Enigma is the beautiful piano fugue in the middle.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 06:28
Tank, but not for the reason you'd think. Even though the drum solo is cool, I'm a sucker for clavinet. The counterpoint with the bass is really awesome too.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 06:43
The Endless Enigma is probably my favourite ELP track, although you really need to include Fugue and Part 2 as well.

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 07:14
Endless enigma, close Stil you turn me on

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:18
The Endless Enigma

-------------

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 12:29
The Endless Enigma was the first ELP song I heard and still a favorite.
This is due to it's high level of classical influence and innovation. It also
"grooves" more for a couple of seconds near the very beginning in a really
unique, skillful way. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 15:58
Pirates. I've never been a fan of the Endless Enigma.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 16:19
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

I can't choose between Pirates and A Time and A Place, which are my two favourites from these tracks and both great in their different ways. Much prefer the Works 1 version of Tank which loses the drum solo and swings more with the addition of brass, plus Palmer's drumming is more powerful. My favourite part of Endless Enigma is the beautiful piano fugue in the middle.

Handshake

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 16:23
The Endless Enigma (Part One)

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 21:11
"The Endless Enigma (Part One)," though I enjoy "Tank" and "A Time & A Place" a good deal. "Still..." is a good tune, too.

I must say (sorry, Richard!) I never listen to "Pirates." It was kind of cool to see it performed at the Black Moon concert (my first time seeing ELP), but it's never been an "it" track for me.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 21:36
None of this songs are really among the ones I enjoy from the band. I guess the closes would be "A Time & a Place", but actually it would be because of the live version I have on "Then & Now", played in the 90's... the heavier aproach, plus the "new" voice from Lake kind of suited the song and made me like it.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 22:59
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I must say (sorry, Richard!) I never listen to "Pirates." It was kind of cool to see it performed at the Black Moon concert (my first time seeing ELP), but it's never been an "it" track for me.
Why indeed !! The 'Royal Albert Hall' version during the 'Black Moon' gig kills the 70's versions.

Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 03:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Why indeed !! The 'Royal Albert Hall' version during the 'Black Moon' gig kills the 70's versions.

funnily enough I heard Darren Reddick (a big prog and ELP fan) play that version on the radio last week. I don't like it only because of the dreadful enhanced electronic drums that Carl used at the Albert Hall. They seriously grate on my ears. Luckily when I saw ELP on the Black Moon Tour (at Colston Hall , Bristol) he had dropped them for whatever reason. Phew!

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 17:37
Someone get me a ladder

Still, I voted for it.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 28 2014 at 20:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I haven't heard that version, but it might just as well fix the song to my ears, just as the 90's live version of "A Time and a Place" did.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 00:59
The Endless Enigma (Part One)

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 16:06

Still.....You Turn Me On

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Pirates is possibly my favourite ELP track. Check out the version on the Manticore Box Set. Its not that diffeent but its slightly 'beefed up' from the original album. 
Damn right about Pirates ! It's really a great track, but I can't say it is my favourite ELP track because I just listened to it for the first time. Pirates indeed deserves being at least the second more voted here.

That said, just knew Changing States and it's a stunnig track too, the organ played there is overwhelming!

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 21:22
Pirates is great but I voted for the Endless Enigma.

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 21:27
^Perhaps this is the thought of many people who voted for The Endless Enigma, in my opinion.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:03
Still...You Turn Me On. Sentimental favorite. It takes me back.

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:16
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Damn right about Pirates ! It's really a great track, but I can't say it is my favourite ELP track because I just listened to it for the first time. Pirates indeed deserves being at least the second more voted here.

That said, just knew Changing States and it's a stunnig track too, the organ played there is overwhelming!

Changing States is good but have you heard Keith Emerson's solo version which is named Another Frontier? This was recorded before ELP did it and featured on his solo album Changing States ( confusing I know!) . I much prefer this version as produced by the late great Kevin Gilbert. The recent reissue includes extensive sleevenotes by Emerson about Gilbert so that is a big bonus.

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 08:56

Changing States is good but have you heard Keith Emerson's solo version which is named Another Frontier? This was recorded before ELP did it and featured on his solo album Changing States ( confusing I know!) . I much prefer this version as produced by the late great Kevin Gilbert. The recent reissue includes extensive sleevenotes by Emerson about Gilbert so that is a big bonus.

No I haven't, but without the slightest doubt it is indeed another nice recommendation of yours that I'm going to check out soon, I think you can notice it is turning out hard for me to have the awesome ELP's music standing too long in my wishlist.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 08:58
still... you turn me on... for now

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 08:59

Damn right! The original sounds indeed much better for my ears... And if the organ sounds overwhelming in Changing States as I said then Another Frontier has a much more overwhelming presence of it.  I'm eagerly looking forward to put the hands on this album...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk