Favourite Tangerine Dream Album (1970s)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97457
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 13:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Tangerine Dream Album (1970s)
Posted By: Xonty
Subject: Favourite Tangerine Dream Album (1970s)
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:12
Just a quick question, which is your favourite Tangerine Dream album from the 70s? Comment below if you can to say why - really getting into them at the moment and I want to know if there are any I should listen to in particular. I listened to them all ages ago, and practically just in the background, but I don't know which one's to listen to again. At the moment, I adore Zeit so much more than Phaedra and Rubycon, and it has stuck in my head since ages ago, so it gets my vote. But anyway!

Thanks for any feedback Big smile

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:18
They were the bee's knees during the 70s and released a string of masterpieces imho. My fave though has always been Alpha Centauri. TD doing "Krautrock" and transporting you to the edge of the solar system in the process. Sometimes it feels like oozing marmalade of sound - other times like a big breathing black hole drawing you in. It never fails to relegate it's beauty to meHeart
One of those special albums that really does sound like the cover art.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:25
Rubycon has always been one of my favorites.  It has the sequencer-drenched sound they are so known for but it also has a melodiousness not often found on their recordings.  From this list, I would say Phaedra is second.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:26
First four are my favourites, voted Zeit

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:31
Too hard. I can't choose

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:31
I need to go dig out 'Sorcerer' at some point and see what I get to miss, when they perform the whole thing in Denmark come spring....Arghhh nuts!! I'd really like to go see that showCry It's also the world premier of 'Sorcerer'. They've never played it live before, so even more reason for me not to miss it.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:42

Ricochet! Well not exactly,. My favourites are Ricochet and Zeit depending on what mood I'm in.

So

Zeit

A genuine classic.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:50
So far I like Alpha Centauri the most from the Ohr era's outer space drone ambient style and Rubycon from the sequencer-based Virgin Records era where they had more of a Egyptian/Greek/Roman ancient civilization atmosphere to them. Thing is that I haven't heard Zeit in its entirety yet, and I actually like Ricochet more than any of the studio albums from that period. Hence I might abstain from voting altogether.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 13:54
Ahh come on Simon - it's all in good funTongue
Which one is your current fave? 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 14:02
Guess I'll vote for Rubycon then.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 14:07
Nice choiceThumbs Up 
On any given day I think I could vote for Alpha Centauri, Atem, Rubycon and Force Majeure. Love those records to pieces. Force Majeure was my first exploration into TD and it's still very close to my heart. 
The way you described Rubycon as having some kind of ancient civilisation vibe to it has really stuck with me.  

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 14:48
Impossible to choose a favorite

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 15:17
I only have 6 or 7 of these, but my perennial favorite has always been Phaedra.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 15:56
Phaedra but it's really a 3 way tie with Ricochet and Rubycon with Zeit just behind

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 16:24
Love all of them but my fave is Zeit

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 17:33
Force Majeure although Ricochet is probably their best album from the seventies.

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 18:05
Phaedra!

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 18:07
Alpha Centuri

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 20:59
Probably Phaedra. Or that one with all the singing.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 01:21
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Impossible to choose a favorite
Either this, or Stratosfear. Can't really say why, it just 'does it' for me.......

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 02:13
I do love the synth albums but actually my favourite is "Electronic Meditation" with Klaus Schulze on drums and Conrad Schnitlzer, for the raw power and primitive guitar noise, it just sounds as if they got going and inspiration took control.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 03:28
Zeit, very original and organic record. The others sound dull to me.

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 07:07
Chalk up one solitary vote so far for Atem, a more listener-friendly version of their monumental Zeit, but still a forbidding experience.

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Just a quick question, which is your favourite Tangerine Dream album from the 70s? Comment below if you can to say why - really getting into them at the moment and I want to know if there are any I should listen to in particular. I listened to them all ages ago, and practically just in the background, but I don't know which one's to listen to again. At the moment, I adore Zeit so much more than Phaedra and Rubycon, and it has stuck in my head since ages ago, so it gets my vote. But anyway!

where are Ricochet (in my top 3) and Encore??? Shocked

I went with Alpha Centauri, though I like them all during that decade...

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 08:28
Phaedra

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 08:31
Phaedra

could have voted

Rubycon
Stratosfear

also love Sorcerer more than most

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

where are Ricochet (in my top 3) and Encore??? Shocked

I went with Alpha Centauri, though I like them all during that decade...

Sorry, forgot to say it's just studio not live albums Ermm

Posted By: MustardSea
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 13:50
Zeit, followed closely by Phaedra and Rubycon.. The latter was my introduction to the music of Tangerine Dream and therefore holds a special place in my heart but over time I gravitated more to the dark and monolithic sounds of "Zeit".
I also love the "Klangwald" performance which is on the latest remastered edition of the Zeit album.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8335" rel="nofollow - Kanoi on PA
http://kanoi.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - kanoi.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: March 10 2014 at 14:28
Phaedra.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 02:46
I expected Rubycon to win this. Zeit seems to hold a special affection for many so not surprised its getting a lot of votes.

I would like to some more comments about Phaedra and why its so loved.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 03:44
This is as tough as the movie Sophie's Choice

just for today, Force Majeure....

Gotta love them all, but the unique  cold, deep, outer space, ....darkness...very dark, roaring silence of.....Zeit. gets better with each passing decade

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 04:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wager it's because Phaedra's the most varied of the LPs mentioned.

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 05:03
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wager it's because Phaedra's the most varied of the LPs mentioned.
i think it was the precursor to Rubycon where the hypnotic pulse really took off in their sound so Phaedra  was the enabler for the sound to start taking a new direction. It is unique and so " timeless".....my two cents worth and the production holds up really well. Phaedra= Bridge to the Virgin Years

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 05:12
Ricochet is my favourite. But with this one lacking, I voted for Rubycon. Next come Cyclone (my first listening to this album was quite a shocking experience) and Stratosfear.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 11:22
Probably Stratosfear....the first one I bought on vinyl in '76. Went back and bought the earlier ones but always liked that one the best for some reason.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 12:08
Stratosfear

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 11 2014 at 23:04
1. Force Majeure
2. Stratosfear/Rubycon (tie)
3. Sorcerer

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 11:59
Phaedra

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 11:16
Atem gets my vote.

Most of the early albums are great but Atem stands out. Wonderful and threatening space ambience.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 12:23
Electronic Meditations, that perfect "meditation" album for me.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 12:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Probably Stratosfear....the first one I bought on vinyl in '76. Went back and bought the earlier ones but always liked that one the best for some reason.

It's very unique, slightly more organic sounding (Edgar even plays bass guitar on one cut). The compositions are no less foreboding or ominous in tone than Rubycon, but the album harks back to psych than Berlin School in its feel. And then when you consider that the next studio album turned out to be Cyclone...

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 03:21
I thought it would be Phaedra but it's Rubycon. I think Encore should be included as the material is all new as was / is their live wont. Plus I'd vote for Monolight... wunderbar.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 19:02
Phaedra, Rubycon, Force Majeure with an honorable mention to Zeit when the mood strikes.  No bad albums from TD in the 70's some are excellent.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 19:13
Phaedra, then Force Majeure and Rubycon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk