Print Page | Close Window

Why do so many bands do just one double album?!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97525
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 09:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why do so many bands do just one double album?!
Posted By: Xonty
Subject: Why do so many bands do just one double album?!
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:23
Just as it says in the title, why are there so many bands (especially in prog rock) that decide to do one double/very stocky album, and then not do another for a long time or ever again? Did they think that it was a mistake (as it wasn't in most cases) or did they spend too much money on it? Neither seem likely, so why does this happen?!?! Smile Some examples of this are:

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Mike Oldfield - Incantations
Harmonium - L'Heptade

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.
The Beatles - s/t
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
(Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde)

As always, thanks for any feedback! Tongue

Replies:
Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:29
^Sorry, but the first LP of Genesis i bought in 1981 was also double - "...and then there were three"

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:33
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^Sorry, but the first LP of Genesis i bought in 1981 was also double - "...and then there were three"

Confused Unless this is a joke I do not understand, my copy of A TTWT, purchased on vinyl, was a singe LP.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:35
Anyhow, back to the OP, I think the answer as to why they did not do many double albums was a simple question of logistics, cost, and time. Also, don't forget, most of these bands were almost permanently on the road, so recording time was rather precious.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:35
Ummagumma was a double. 
Tommy was a double

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:38
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Anyhow, back to the OP, I think the answer as to why they did not do many double albums was a simple question of logistics, cost, and time. Also, don't forget, most of these bands were almost permanently on the road, so recording time was rather precious.
They were also expensive to buy so sold fewer copies, the record companies didn't like that because that meant they did chart well, and high chart placing always result in even more sales.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ummagumma was a double. 
Tommy was a double

I was thinking the exact same thing.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:39

Confused Unless this is a joke I do not understand, my copy of A TTWT, purchased on vinyl, was a singe LP.

Quite surprised hearing that from you, because at least from mine i used to read A LOT all the lyrics ON THE TWO INTERIOR SIDES of it, taking for granted my interest in the english language. It seems this LP releasing was better in my country indeed.

-------------

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 17:43
These days (current time) to release a double album does not make sense for an artist because CD Baby etc. charge you double the amount and also in terms of weight postage is also more expensive.

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 18:05

Yeah, it's only 50 minutes, and is a single LP. You might have some other edition? I don't know. The Lamb is 94 or something, so it's much stockier than ATTWT, and a double.

Also, Ummagumma was half studio and half live. I see it as 2 different albums really. Even so, there was still a 10 year gap between that and The Wall, and there hasn't been one since then.

P.S. Forgot about Tommy Tongue I'll take it out. You get what I mean though Smile

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 18:08

I

Quite surprised hearing that from you, because at least from mine i used to read A LOT all the lyrics ON THE TWO INTERIOR SIDES of it, taking for granted my interest in the english language. It seems this LP releasing was better in my country indeed.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 18:15
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Confused Unless this is a joke I do not understand, my copy of ATTWT, purchased on vinyl, was a singe LP.

Yeah, it's only 50 minutes, and is a single LP. You might have some other edition? I don't know. The Lamb is 94 or something, so it's much stockier than ATTWT, and a double.

Also, Ummagumma was half studio and half live. I see it as 2 different albums really. Even so, there was still a 10 year gap between that and The Wall, and there hasn't been one since then.

P.S. Forgot about Tommy Tongue I'll take it out. You get what I mean though Smile

Maybe that's it, it is possibly another edition, but unfortunately i don't have my LP of ATTWT anymore, very silly of mine not having my LPs with me anymore, i had a special affair with the double ones, which if i remember well was at least 90 % of my LPs (including that consisted of one only vynil packed in a double folding cover, like ATTWT. Maybe that's what you were meaning...)

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 18:23
Cost more, sell less?

Anyway, most bands in the seventies were releasing one album each year, sometimes two.

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 18:29
I can imagine that some of them were probably creatively exhausting to make. 

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 18:54
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

That was my first thought too.

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 22:42

I also had the same thought....it's hard enough to come up with one album of good material let alone 2.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 23:41
The Who generated "Tommy" and "Quadraphenia," both brilliant works of music!  I'm still amazed at how much of the instrumentation the band members played themselves (strings, horns etc.).  

Otherwise, I think it tends to be the creative drain as well as lack of support by the industry.  Double albums seemed to be trendy for a while....TFTO, The Lamb, Works etc.  

This is interesting:  Some artists still occasionally produce a large enough quantity of material to justify a double album. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock" rel="nofollow - progressive rock band http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flower_Kings" rel="nofollow - The Flower Kings have released four double albums out of eleven studio albums.

It appears that many bands would capture entire concerts and release them as live double albums, which makes sense since it reduces studio costs & offers the consumer an alternative product to the studio version.  

Check out John Coltrane!!  And Frank Zappa!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_double_albums" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_double_albums

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 15 2014 at 05:47
They are doing it just to mess with you... Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 15 2014 at 12:22
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

These days (current time) to release a double album does not make sense for an artist because CD Baby etc. charge you double the amount and also in terms of weight postage is also more expensive.

Since a CD can hold 80+ minutes, that's plenty of space for an original studio album, equivalent to 4 LP sides of yesteryear. Oftimes 2CD studio albums ooze filler.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 15 2014 at 15:12
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Just as it says in the title, why are there so many bands (especially in prog rock) that decide to do one double/very stocky album, and then not do another for a long time or ever again? Did they think that it was a mistake (as it wasn't in most cases) or did they spend too much money on it? Neither seem likely, so why does this happen?!?! Smile 

Nowadays with the CD's being capable of having so much more music, many more albums would be considered "double"!!!!!

LP's had a limit of about 20/22/24 minutes or so for the longest time, so anyone wanting to do anything of an extended nature was at the mercy of the record company and their whims.

Today this is not an issue since you can put 100 minutes on a CD, and guess what ... that's like 2 and a half LP's.

I've mentioned this before. The "double album" thing, created a slight problem. All the symphonies you ever heard by everyone from the last 500 years are now "limited" to the size that the LP has created for them, and I'm waiting to see new recordings of things that follow the music scores, and not the LP subscription of how long it has to be.

One of the greatest things in the digital age is seeing these limitations totally gone. Now i want to hear the original Beethoven symphonies without them being trimmed or strictly "following" a pattern (timewise) that we're familiar with!!!

Wouldn't that be scary?

At the very least this did not happen to "popular music" in its rise to their sales, which is now the "new standard" for what is music and is not! But seeing so many bands these days do long cuts and not be bound by the length is partiularly satisfying for me!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 15 2014 at 15:44
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The Who generated "Tommy" and "Quadraphenia," both brilliant works of music!  I'm still amazed at how much of the instrumentation the band members played themselves (strings, horns etc.).  

Otherwise, I think it tends to be the creative drain as well as lack of support by the industry.  Double albums seemed to be trendy for a while....TFTO, The Lamb, Works etc.  

This is interesting:  Some artists still occasionally produce a large enough quantity of material to justify a double album. For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock" rel="nofollow - progressive rock band http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flower_Kings" rel="nofollow - The Flower Kings have released four double albums out of eleven studio albums.

It appears that many bands would capture entire concerts and release them as live double albums, which makes sense since it reduces studio costs & offers the consumer an alternative product to the studio version.  

Check out John Coltrane!!  And Frank Zappa!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_double_albums" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_double_albums
Double albums are trending now, too, strangely enough.

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: March 15 2014 at 16:07
Because people only needed one folding cover to roll their joints on?  Wink

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 10:13
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Hardly!

You could smoke the cardboard and get higher faster! Tongue

I've always had this kind of idea that the double album was a band's attempt to make it look like they were "better" than just a pop song or two. But it also gave rise to the idea that you could put songs in a certain order, and then tell people that a story was there, and no one would know any better! The Beatles White Album is exactly that. There might be something here, or not!

All in all, I was never worried about it being single or double LP. I had already enjoyed many operas and other works that were fairly long, so seeing a band do something more than just a song, was kinda cool. "Tommy" being called a "rock opera" was abusing the word and priviledge for my ideas, and in some ways, it broke the "mold" for what "opera" should be about, something that even Roger Waters did not listen to or pay attention to with "Ca Ira".

AD2's "Made in Germany" is also supposed to be a concept album and was originally a double LP, that was cut down for American release into a single album. But by the time you try to figure out ... where's the story? ... it's almost like it doesn't matter, and sometimes I don't like that in rock music, which is a bow to the fans, but sometimes not exactly a bow to the music itself (or the idea/concept!), but at least you know they are not playing an idea of music, like "rock'n'roll", which has become so meaningless it's not funny!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 13:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

But it also gave rise to the idea that you could put songs in a certain order, and then tell people that a story was there, and no one would know any better! The Beatles White Album is exactly that. There might be something here, or not!

Really? What "story" did the Beatles say was in The Beatles then?

Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 14:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

But it also gave rise to the idea that you could put songs in a certain order, and then tell people that a story was there, and no one would know any better! The Beatles White Album is exactly that. There might be something here, or not!

it goes something like this: "Nora Helmer once secretly borrowed a large sum of money so that her husband could recuperate from a serious illness. She never told him of this loan and has been secretly paying it back in small instalments by saving from her household allowance. Her husband, Torvald, thinks her careless and childlike, and often calls her his doll. When he is appointed bank director, his first act is to relieve a man who was once disgraced for having forged his signature on a document. This man, Nils Krogstad, is the person from whom Nora has borrowed her money. It is then revealed that she forged her father's signature in order to get the money. Krogstad threatens to reveal Nora's crime and thus disgrace her and her husband unless Nora can convince her husband not to fire him. Nora tries to influence her husband, but he thinks of Nora as a simple child who cannot understand the value of money or business. Thus, when Torvald discovers that Nora has forged her father's name, he is ready to disclaim his wife even though she had done it for him. Later when all is solved, Nora sees that her husband is not worth her love and she leaves him."

-------------
What?

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 17:36

This, of course never ever ever happened.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 20:03
Because many double albums are boring as hell. We have as many as are necessary.

-------------

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 20:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

This, of course never ever ever happened.

Oh no, it's just an urban legend I heard.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 20:44
From the band's perspective: they're probably very costly to make, both in terms of money and effort

From my perspective: They're usually not great

-------------

Matt

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 22:13
At any given time in their careers, very few bands have enough decent material to fill one album, let alone a double album. We're not talking B sides or alternate takes, but songs that are actually worthwhile for a double album. Also, back when double albums were the rage, a band usually had to have some serious clout and cajones to release a double album. 

And there's folks like George Harrison, who released the triple album All Things Must Pass, which was the greatest double album with six sides ever made.Wink Or Johnny Winter, who released a three-sided album. I don't recall any one-sided albums, but I am sure there are a few.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 22:29

it goes something like this: "Nora Helmer once secretly borrowed a large sum of money so that her husband could recuperate from a serious illness. She never told him of this loan and has been secretly paying it back in small instalments by saving from her household allowance. Her husband, Torvald, thinks her careless and childlike, and often calls her his doll. When he is appointed bank director, his first act is to relieve a man who was once disgraced for having forged his signature on a document. This man, Nils Krogstad, is the person from whom Nora has borrowed her money. It is then revealed that she forged her father's signature in order to get the money. Krogstad threatens to reveal Nora's crime and thus disgrace her and her husband unless Nora can convince her husband not to fire him. Nora tries to influence her husband, but he thinks of Nora as a simple child who cannot understand the value of money or business. Thus, when Torvald discovers that Nora has forged her father's name, he is ready to disclaim his wife even though she had done it for him. Later when all is solved, Nora sees that her husband is not worth her love and she leaves him."

That's incredible--   now, where does Rocky Raccoon fit in to this intrigue?

Why so few double albums?  Cause it's very, very hard.

Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 22:45
Recently, considering that most prog bands do not get a return for their money/investment for their cd sales, this is a fact why most do not produce double albums, also a big reason is the cost I think, CDBaby who are one of the biggest distributors in the world charge twice the amount for a double album compared to a normal one, thus equal as two different albums, postage in terms of weight also does play a major role I think.

Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 22:55
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I don't recall any one-sided albums, but I am sure there are a few.
You mean extended plays?

Two-sided as well. Why do I forget these things? Head on wall

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: March 16 2014 at 23:37
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Because many double albums are boring as hell.

Agreed. I believe that nearly 90% of double albums are way too inconsistent. If it comes to concept albums, then often on those double LPs the concept just devours music, making the record sound boring and unenthusiastic, if it' just a bunch of songs on two LPs, like 'Psychical Graffity', then those LPs suffer very often of the lack of consistency, with a bunch of very weak and unmemorable fillers beside the real good songs.

I believe that if you'll cut down any double LP to a 40 or 50 minutes long sigle LP, then you'll get a real gem. Otherwise there's no wonder than even here almost all double LPs are losing contest to just the standard albums. No wonder there is only one double LP in the PA Top 100.

Surprisingly, there was a bunch of excellent double LPs since 90's, such as Nine Inch Nail's 'The Fragile', but the very creation of those double albums takes a lot of time, much more than prog bands had back in 70's to make a record.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 00:19
There was also Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, another solid pop/rock double album from the 70's.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 00:53

Today this is not an issue since you can put 100 minutes on a CD, and guess what ... that's like 2 and a half LP's.

Incorrect.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Digital_Audio#Basic_specifications" rel="nofollow - 79.8 minutes is the upper threshold for Red Book-compliant CDs.  That's two LPs of fairly standard length (~20 minutes per side).

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 01:32

I don't recall any one-sided albums, but I am sure there are a few.

Robert Rental & The Normal Live at West Runton Pavilion - but don't bother.

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 07:41

Very clever, you're way too smart for this place Dean.

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 08:48
Because creating double albums are really really hard work

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:16
There's that old cliche that as a new band, you get 5 years to write your debut album and 3 months to write the second etc. Maybe a lot of bands are frightened of drying up at around the 3rd album stage so (wisely) keep material back to combat writer's block? ELP released four studio albums in 3 years which is kinda unheard of today. Have to agree with many of the posters that there are very few traditional 'doubles' that don't flag at least part of the way through. Still trying to think of an example in Prog that bucks this trend but ended up with only these plain vanilla rock/pop efforts:

London Calling - the Clash
Exile on Main Street - Stones
Oranges and Lemons - XTC

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:53

At any given time in their careers, very few bands have enough decent material to fill one album, let alone a double album. We're not talking B sides or alternate takes, but songs that are actually worthwhile for a double album. Also, back when double albums were the rage, a band usually had to have some serious clout and cajones to release a double album. 

And there's folks like George Harrison, who released the triple album All Things Must Pass, which was the greatest double album with six sides ever made.Wink Or Johnny Winter, who released a three-sided album. I don't recall any one-sided albums, but I am sure there are a few.

You forgot the three sided album!

Monty Python!

Alternating grooves on Side 2 of the album I think it was. I would like to see that done on CD, but it won't happen, so the effect will be lost! Let me tell you that the folks at our radio station in Santa Barbara had screwed this one several times before realizing the joke was on them. Even the big G had his laugh, when he bought the Bok and he wanted the one without the mark on the white cover! They all had the mark! Haha!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

That's incredible--   now, where does Rocky Raccoon fit in to this intrigue?

Why so few double albums?  Cause it's very, very hard.

I told you that it was true! Party

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:55

Recently, considering that most prog bands do not get a return for their money/investment for their cd sales, this is a fact why most do not produce double albums, also a big reason is the cost I think, CDBaby who are one of the biggest distributors in the world charge twice the amount for a double album compared to a normal one, thus equal as two different albums, postage in terms of weight also does play a major role I think.

Doesn't quite explain things 30 or 40 years ago, though!

Tommy still sold!

The White Album still sold!

And so many others!

What the music folks are doing these days is sad, and will hurt the distribution of music. Pink Floyd has stated that they can not break up the long songs, but most bands do not have that ability, which means any service out there can rip you off.

You should have seen how pretty it was to have a banded version of "Close to the Edge" and a banded version of so many other long things.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 09:55

I would like to see that done on CD, but it won't happen, so the effect will be lost! 
Simples. You just turn the CD over and play the b-side. Clown

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 10:00

I would like to see that done on CD, but it won't happen, so the effect will be lost! 

Nooooo ... the third track!

It has to be done as if the CD had alternating grooves to the end on one side, which they don't. The funny part on the MP thing was DJ's getting the finger because they thought this would play, and instead something else came on!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 10:07

Nooooo ... the third track!

It has to be done as if the CD had alternating grooves to the end on one side, which they don't. The funny part on the MP thing was DJ's getting the finger because they thought this would play, and instead something else came on!
The third track is on the other side. Wacko

-------------
What?

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 11:01
I have read about many bands who wanted to release double albums in the days of vinyl only but had to trim down because the record companies didn't want them to release them and some of these tracks show up as bonus tracks on cd reissues. Some of those bands got away with it somehow, i guess because they were somewhat successful and had some decision making powers. Today's CDs have albums that should count as double albums. Personally i tend to NOT like double albums unless they are absolute masterpieces. I hate having to skip tracks and if half of the album is filler then they should liberally use their editing abilities

Posted By: Prog 74
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 12:28
Double albums are always intriguing though not entirely advisable because even the most talented bands simply run out of ideas to really make it work.  Seems like every double album has some padding.  I usually look upon the best ones as flawed masterpieces.  Too much great music for one album, not quite enough for two. 

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 13:02
Ah... the old padding and/or filler myth. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 13:25
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

Double albums are always intriguing though not entirely advisable because even the most talented bands simply run out of ideas to really make it work.  Seems like every double album has some padding.  I usually look upon the best ones as flawed masterpieces.  Too much great music for one album, not quite enough for two. 

Yeah, I know what you mean. Most albums have better side 1's than 2's as well, especially double albums IMO Smile

Posted By: omnichord
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 13:47
A while ago, a friend asked me to compile my top 10 double albums. This was the list I made:

Floyd - The Wall
Genesis - Lamb
Wilco - Being There
Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
NIN - The Fragile
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

Not all prog, but there are some new entries. The NIN one may have some filler, but I think the Lips' Embryonic is stellar. As far as "perfect" double album, that title goes to The Wall. I don't think there is any filler in that, especially in how each song is used live with visuals in the Roger Waters tour. I cannot imagine a song like Vera Lynn NOT being in the live show, so it is completely important on the album.

My two cents

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 13:58
I don't know about 'the padding and filler myth', but I own most of the double's mentioned as wel as some others and when I do play them (not as much as the single albums by the same bands btw), I usually play only one of the discs/vinyl sides because the other has weaker material. But maybe that's just me.........

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 14:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I don't know about 'the padding and filler myth', but I own most of the double's mentioned as wel as some others and when I do play them (not as much as the single albums by the same bands btw), I usually play only one of the discs/vinyl sides because the other has weaker material. But maybe that's just me.........
Which half of The Lamb Lies Down, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Quadrophenia, Tommy, The Wall, Electric Ladyland, Exile on Mainstreamstreet, 666, Tanz der Lemminge, Focus 3, Aerial is the weaker half. (Deliberately ignoring double live album of course because it's a well known fact that bands put all their weaker material in the second half of their live sets and save the really weak filler for the very end, and the weak padding songs for the encore).

-------------
What?

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 15:00

Which half of The Lamb Lies Down, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Quadrophenia, Tommy, The Wall, Electric Ladyland, Exile on Mainstreamstreet, 666, Tanz der Lemminge, Focus 3, Aerial is the weaker half. (Deliberately ignoring double live album of course because it's a well known fact that bands put all their weaker material in the second half of their live sets and save the really weak filler for the very end, and the weak padding songs for the encore).

Maybe it's not so much a matter of a weaker half but simply that listening 80 minutes to one and the same artist is not be the most alluring prospect for the more casual fans?
Looking at the list above, I could argue that 666, Focus3 and Tommy have weak spots, but in fact I'm simply not the greatest fan of these artists.
So there's not necessarily anything wrong with the works, only with my interest in them

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 15:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

There's that old cliche that as a new band, you get 5 years to write your debut album and 3 months to write the second etc. Maybe a lot of bands are frightened of drying up at around the 3rd album stage so (wisely) keep material back to combat writer's block? ELP released four studio albums in 3 years which is kinda unheard of today. Have to agree with many of the posters that there are very few traditional 'doubles' that don't flag at least part of the way through. Still trying to think of an example in Prog that bucks this trend but ended up with only these plain vanilla rock/pop efforts:

London Calling - the Clash
Exile on Main Street - Stones
Oranges and Lemons - XTC

Oranges and Lemons is a good call, but English Settlement is a better one. No flagging there!

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 15:46
The Lamb is mostly filler to my ears.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 16:06
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Hold me back... somebody hold me back.....

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 16:57
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

That's another prove of the subjective that is any kind of art appreciation...

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 16:58

For someone as knowledgeable and astute as yourself, I cannot fathom why you cling to the naive belief that musicians and artists don't have their bad days at the office/recording studio like the rest of us. Maybe it's just the terminology of padding and filler that irks you so?
Is it unreasonable to ask why you wouldn't acknowledge that maybe Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters Jon Anderson, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix et al are occasionally guilty of letting something through that they know maybe isn't on a par with the rest of an album's material or even their previous work?. They all have managers, record companies,wives,mistresses,tax men on their back, suffer downturns in creativity, crises of confidence, deadlines to meet, impaired judgement/faculties (deliberately or otherwise) so-called writer's block and (gulp) even fall ill or just get plain vanilla jaded, lazy and sloppy, tired and emotional etc
Your final comments about double live albums are testimony to the great and the good clearly not being immunized from mediocrity.
You're starting to resemble the 13/14 edition of Man Utd.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 17:14

For someone as knowledgeable and astute as yourself, I cannot fathom why you cling to the naive belief that musicians and artists don't have their bad days at the office/recording studio like the rest of us. Maybe it's just the terminology of padding and filler that irks you so?
Is it unreasonable to ask why you wouldn't acknowledge that maybe Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters Jon Anderson, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix et al are occasionally guilty of letting something through that they know maybe isn't on a par with the rest of an album's material or even their previous work?. They all have managers, record companies,wives,mistresses,tax men on their back, suffer downturns in creativity, crises of confidence, deadlines to meet, impaired judgement/faculties (deliberately or otherwise) so-called writer's block and (gulp) even fall ill or just get plain vanilla jaded, lazy and sloppy, tired and emotional etc
Your final comments about double live albums are testimony to the great and the good clearly not being immunized from mediocrity.

I wouldn't call an artist that one who puts in any logical order his compositions in an album, as was said here about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway for example. Sorry but that doesn't have any sense for me, btw a complete lack of taste putting that masterpieces in the sack.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 17:35

I wouldn't call an artist that one who puts in any logical order his compositions in an album, as was said here about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway for example. Sorry but that doesn't have any sense for me, btw a complete lack of taste putting that masterpieces in the sack.

Anyone who thinks the Lamb all filler is clearly an imbecile drunk on having their their own boyish spleen preserved for posterity. I think it a 4 star album that runs out of steam on the second disc both musically and lyrically e.g. Gabriel attempts to bring his ambitious plot to some sort of conclusion via that deus ex machina of Rael and his brother John fusing into one entity. It just comes across like a cack handed lift straight out of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner where No 1 is unmasked to reveal...No 6. I also think Gabriel was faced with coming up with lyrics and melodies over music that he knew could not be changed, and for me his delivery betrays as much.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 17:42

For someone as knowledgeable and astute as yourself, I cannot fathom why you cling to the naive belief that musicians and artists don't have their bad days at the office/recording studio like the rest of us. Maybe it's just the terminology of padding and filler that irks you so?
No idea what that means, (I don't follow football, have no interest in football and no desire to find out), I'll take it to mean something that I'm not going to like just to save time and energy.

The mediocre is not something anyone strives to achieve, if they arrive at mediocrity it is not for the want of trying, nor is it something that is planned. If you judge something to be mediocre and call it filler then yip-di-do, I'll continue to call it mediocre and will not treat the two as synonymousSo, yep, the terminology hacks me off ::insert appropriately pithy football metaphor here::

I've read your comment about my comments about double live albums over and over and I don't get it - have we become so inured by the internet now that sarcasm is only recognised if it is terminated by a sticky-out-tongue emoticon? :-p

However, you are not dr wu23.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 17:57
^Why don't you save the really weak filler to the football thread ? Otherwise your "Disk 2" in this thread would be quite worse than that of The Lamb.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 18:01

For someone as knowledgeable and astute as yourself, I cannot fathom why you cling to the naive belief that musicians and artists don't have their bad days at the office/recording studio like the rest of us. Maybe it's just the terminology of padding and filler that irks you so?
No idea what that means, (I don't follow football, have no interest in football and no desire to find out), I'll take it to mean something that I'm not going to like just to save time and energy.

The mediocre is not something anyone strives to achieve, if they arrive at mediocrity it is not for the want of trying, nor is it something that is planned. If you judge something to be mediocre and call it filler then yip-di-do, I'll continue to call it mediocre and will not treat the two as synonymousSo, yep, the terminology hacks me off ::insert appropriately pithy football metaphor here::

I've read your comment about my comments about double live albums over and over and I don't get it - have we become so inured by the internet now that sarcasm is only recognised if it is terminated by a sticky-out-tongue emoticon? :-p

However, you are not dr wu23.

Everyone knows you were being sarcastic, but if you can no longer be good at it, don't. (ELP take note) You've just honed in on the football comment as a a transparent diversion technique i.e. I've called you out for being credulous and permanently in thrall to your fave musicians and you have responded with precisely squat. There's also your usual helpining of grammatical pedantry which is just a waste of everyone's time and energy. I might start a petition to get you reinstated as an Admin, you were a damn site better value then.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 18:09

Everyone knows you were being sarcastic, but if you can no longer be good at it, don't. (ELP take note) You've just honed in on the football comment as a a transparent diversion technique i.e. I've called you out for being credulous and permanently in thrall to your fave musicians and you have responded with precisely squat. There's also your usual helpining of grammatical pedantry which is just a waste of everyone's time and energy. I might start a petition to get you reinstated as an Admin, you were a damn site better value then.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 18:13

Fortunately digital releases don't have any of these problems.

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 18:20

Another incentive for everyone in having you reinstated as an Admin: you would post less, especially kneejerk childish crap like the above. Grow up, you've got nothing hippy...

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 18:37

Another incentive for everyone in having you reinstated as an Admin: you would post less, especially kneejerk childish crap like the above. Grow up, you've got nothing hippy...

Agreed, but for the sake of this forum i think you shouldn't waste your time anymore and get back to what the thread title suggests.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 18:40
Ouch 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 18:50

Agreed, but for the sake of this forum i think you shouldn't waste your time anymore and get back to what the thread title suggests.

Cooee!!!! Awwwww    leave Dean alone, yes he might be uber grumpy at times but I love his input and knowledge on our forum topics. Heck I get it wrong at times and Dean is the first person to point that out leave my favorite Grumpy number one alone because he certainly adds so much more value, knowledge and interest to our forum topics. huge hug to all

P.S. I love football, this pic attached is me at the Fifa Worls Cup 2010 in Cape Town South Africa supporting my favorite team    

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 19:06
Oh come on you two. Sip up your puréed potatoes and join me in a chorus of "Mairzy Doats."

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 19:15

Oh come on you two. Sip up your puréed potatoes and join me in a chorus of "Mairzy Doats."

I am not much fond of bangers and mash to be honest

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 19:41

Too much filler?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 19:50
that is a pop song, can't remember the band name but I think they also performed a song with Bing Crosby and he did a Christmas special with the sexiest man alive aka David Bowie

P.S. Even if Mairzy Doats sound a bit like lonely Tunes Cartoons I kinda find it fun lol

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 19:57

Too much filler?

A tad cartoonish indeed, Dean I much rather prefer crumpets

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 20:05
Tough call, but voted Third.

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 20:25

that is a pop song, can't remember the band name but I think they also performed a song with Bing Crosby and he did a Christmas special with the sexiest man alive aka David Bowie

P.S. Even if Mairzy Doats sound a bit like lonely Tunes Cartoons I kinda find it fun lol
It's an old WWII era song. Don't remember who performed it.

Lonely Tunes Cartoons sounds like the name of an emo band. LOL

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 20:32

It's an old WWII era song. Don't remember who performed it.Lonely Tunes Cartoons sounds like the name of an emo band. LOL

hihihi Polymorphia
Honestly in terms of lonely/looney tunes all you have to listen, is this and you will get it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl4NqYs234Q Betty Boop Cartoons 1 hug to

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 20:40

No need to attack me! Cool I love the Gabe and I love Genesis, but I'm afraid I just don't like The Lamb. It's a prime example of a lyrics-first approach in my mind - music should always come first. 

On the other hand, I just listened to Tales from Topographic Oceans - good stuff! 

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 20:49

No need to attack me! Cool I love the Gabe and I love Genesis, but I'm afraid I just don't like The Lamb. It's a prime example of a lyrics-first approach in my mind - music should always come first. 
On the other hand, I just listened to Tales from Topographic Oceans - good stuff! 

I have to disagree with you Logos,
as I do like this track, considering I too pay no attention to lyrics (to date I still have not memorized these lyrics), no idea really except that it starts with a fab crescendo, turned popish and then ahahaha fab and again a tad pop with added funk whatever I love the build up and the feel sound of i.e. club 54 aka Saturday night vibe too lolol hug to you
P.S. I too think that music should come first to lyrics

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 20:57

That's a solid question regarding those specific albums.....and I'll attempt to give you my thoughts on them.
Weaker (and padding and filler..) indeed might be the wrong word;....perhaps we should just say parts we all prefer over others.
There are several parts of Lamb I think are 'weaker' than the others but it's kind of spread out on the 2 LP's.
On Tales I think sides 2 and 3 are 'weaker'.
I prefer the first LP on Quadrophenia....doesn't make the second 'weaker' except to me.
Tommy is all about the same quality to me and excellent overall.
I like the second LP marginally  better on The Wall probably due to Comfortably Numb.
On Exiles I prefer the first Lp though the second isn't bad or 'mediocre' per se.
I think most of Ladyland is pretty solid also...though Voodo Child on the second side is my favorite track so I think that side is 'better' for me.
I honestly haven't played 666 or Tanz enough in recent memory to have an opinion and I don't own Focus 3.

So for me it's more about which discs hit my favorite spot and sometimes the better tracks are scattered over the two Lp's so it's hard to say which LP is 'weaker' on some doubles. As I said I have a tendency to play one or the other LP's on doubles due to personal preference.....'weaker' becomes  a subjective term as it always does here on PA regarding quality and what is 'this or that'.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 21:40
Ayreon has a lot of double albums.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 21:47
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

I was thinking the same, Ayreon releases to date (with the exception of Actual Fantasy) have been a double albums, I think

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 03:24

I have to disagree with you Logos,
as I do like this track, considering I too pay no attention to lyrics (to date I still have not memorized these lyrics), no idea really except that it starts with a fab crescendo, turned popish and then ahahaha fab and again a tad pop with added funk whatever I love the build up and the feel sound of i.e. club 54 aka Saturday night vibe too lolol hug to you
P.S. I too think that music should come first to lyrics
Lamb was a music first album, as were all Genesis albums. This one is infamously so as any Genesis fan knows since Gabriel was not present during much the writing and recording of the album due to difficulties wife Jill was having with the birth of their daughter.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 03:34

That's a solid question regarding those specific albums.....and I'll attempt to give you my thoughts on them.
Weaker (and padding and filler..) indeed might be the wrong word;....perhaps we should just say parts we all prefer over others.
There are several parts of Lamb I think are 'weaker' than the others but it's kind of spread out on the 2 LP's.
On Tales I think sides 2 and 3 are 'weaker'.
I prefer the first LP on Quadrophenia....doesn't make the second 'weaker' except to me.
Tommy is all about the same quality to me and excellent overall.
I like the second LP marginally  better on The Wall probably due to Comfortably Numb.
On Exiles I prefer the first Lp though the second isn't bad or 'mediocre' per se.
I think most of Ladyland is pretty solid also...though Voodo Child on the second side is my favorite track so I think that side is 'better' for me.
I honestly haven't played 666 or Tanz enough in recent memory to have an opinion and I don't own Focus 3.

So for me it's more about which discs hit my favorite spot and sometimes the better tracks are scattered over the two Lp's so it's hard to say which LP is 'weaker' on some doubles. As I said I have a tendency to play one or the other LP's on doubles due to personal preference.....'weaker' becomes  a subjective term as it always does here on PA regarding quality and what is 'this or that'.

Thank you sir. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 04:11
Filler is one thing and does occur in different ways to varying degrees of skill or lack thereof, but when something like Physical Graffiti or The Wall is criticized for filler, something is being missed.   I can't listen to all of The Wall anymore because at least one third of it no longer does a thing for me; it didn't hold up past my thirties as a consistent source of interest the way some other doubles have.   But filler?   I doubt it, because as Dean has pointed out, that suggests the "filler" was intentionally produced and perpetrated to satisfy whatever time minimums there may've been, or worse, to rip people off.

But that is, I must point out, the perspective of a former and fairly serious musician.   I used to think Phys Graf was artificially stretched-out too, but when I listen to it now and I come upon those parts everyone loves to criticize as diluted pap, I smile, shame myself, and I thank goodness that such an extraordinary album, band, and time existed, and that I lived to experience it.

It can't all be gold all of the time.   Is every single moment of Topographic Oceans brilliant?   Hell no, and we all know that.   But again, that misses the point.   It's a journey we have along with a band we have faith in and I'm willing to share the bad moments if they have the guts to show them to me.

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 04:18

I used to think Phys Graf was artificially stretched-out too, but when I listen to it now and I come upon those parts everyone loves to criticize as diluted pap,  

Which parts are those? I've always thought PG is one of the most consistently excellent double albums around, the only track I'm not that keen on is the last one "Sick Again" and I've seen more than one person say that's their favourite track on the album.

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 04:19
^ Well there you go--  for me it's Boogie with Stu.

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:23

I love that song. I suppose it's a bit of a muck about but I still like it.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:38

I love that song. I suppose it's a bit of a muck about but I still like it.
Me too. Love the trash-can cymbals Bonham is banging on and the Rolling Stones' Ian Stewart on piano. You can tell the band is having a lot of fun. After all, the working title of the song was "Sloppy Drunk".

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 10:39
Physical Graffiti has several pleasant throw aways on it, including some songs that didn't make the cut on prior albums.  That said, it's still my favorite Zeppelin album.  The throw aways on Physical Graffiti are still better than half the songs on Presence or In Through the Out Door.  I also feel like the White Album from the Beatles has lots of throw aways and/or filler.  Some of it good, some of it rubbish.  A fascinating listen nonetheless. 

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 10:46

Cooee!!!! Awwwww    leave Dean alone, yes he might be uber grumpy at times but I love his input and knowledge on our forum topics. Heck I get it wrong at times and Dean is the first person to point that out leave my favorite Grumpy number one alone because he certainly adds so much more value, knowledge and interest to our forum topics. huge hug to all

P.S. I love football, this pic attached is me at the Fifa Worls Cup 2010 in Cape Town South Africa supporting my favorite team    

Supporting the Dutch!
I'm Dutch!
So you're supportering me! Big smile

Okay, so far for this pseudo-Socratic syllogism LOL but you do have a good taste, Kati Clap 

As well as for supporting Dean, whom I'm happy to see on this site.
We all have our grumpy days, and that's the truth

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 11:55

Physical Graffiti has several pleasant throw aways on it

Come on, everyone is saying this, but what are they?

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 12:30

:
Down By The Seaside
Boogie with Stu
Sick Again
Custard pie
The Rover

Now I'm not saying these are bad songs just that they don't do much for me.
It's that subjective thingy all over again.
Smile

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 12:41

:
Down By The Seaside
Boogie with Stu
Sick Again
Custard pie
The Rover

Now I'm not saying these are bad songs just that they don't do much for me.
It's that subjective thingy all over again.
Smile

I would also include Night Flight and Black Country Woman.  All of the songs on Physical Graffiti are good, some are just a little weaker than others.  The band themselves admitted that they didn't quite have enough material to make it a double album so they went to the vaults and filled the album with some unreleased tracks.  Tracks that weren't good enough to be on previous albums. 

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:00

It can't all be gold all of the time.   Is every single moment of Topographic Oceans brilliant?   Hell no, and we all know that.   But again, that misses the point.   It's a journey we have along with a band we have faith in and I'm willing to share the bad moments if they have the guts to show them to me.
Agree with every thing you've said David, just picking up on Tales.

Tales is indeed flawed and is an exception here because it does contain padding, (but it also contains pruning - Revealing was trimmed to make it shorter by some six minutes). However this padding is within the tracks because originally the four tracks contained enough music for three sides vinyl, so they padded the music out so that each track was around the 20 minute mark (the optimum length for sound quality on a vinyl disc) - none of the tracks are filler-tracks. That is one of Wakeman's criticisms of the album and perhaps his main contribution to it - linking the disparate parts within each track with typical Wakeman-y aplomb, (he did this on Fragile and Close to the Edge too), such as the short pastoral (almost Greenslade-like) Moog segues in The Remembering. 

I suspect what some people may be experiencing on double albums is simply sensory overload, the old "Listener-fatigue" (which I've never really understood myself, this is Prog after all, but hey-ho). If Yes had released any of these tracks on a single album in the same format as Close to the Edge and Relayer, with a selection of shorter songs the flip-side, I think maybe we would see them differently; sure "The Remembering album" would perhaps not be liked as much as "The Ritual album" or "The Revealing album" would, but I suspect many would rate it highly as a Symphonic Prog Folk album. Perhaps if Yes had just released The Revealing and The Ritual as two sides of a single album people may find it less of a chore, that they can squeeze in during a 40 minute lull in their TV viewing schedule, then perhaps some of us may just find it to be just a little less interesting.

[disclaimer: I'm not a Yes fan by any stretch, I like Tales and Relayer - the rest I can take or leave, especially Close t'Fridge]

-------------
What?

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:08

Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

I was thinking the same, Ayreon releases to date (with the exception of Actual Fantasy) have been a double albums, I think

Actual Fantasy is (still) the Ayreon release I enjoy the most.

Just thought of a great double album (4 LP sides): Sheik Yerbouti!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:35

Custard pie
The Rover

Nooooooooooooooooo! Cry

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:38

Custard pie
The Rover

Nooooooooooooooooo! Cry

Yeah, what?  Those songs are great

Date Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:38

sure "The Remembering album" would perhaps not be liked as much as "The Ritual album" or "The Revealing album" would

Yes it would. I actually prefer The Remembering to the other two.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk