Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97562
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tony Iommi or David Gilmour
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Tony Iommi or David Gilmour
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 08:42
Two gutiar players who are similar yet different, both play the guitar Tongue, both are blues based, both use all the four fingers in soloing and chording, and are articulate, neither use flash but their skills (if not classiclal trained) share a sence of modesty and respect towards the guitar as something more then a piece of wood, but a tool to make people cry or pee their pants in fright, both can play balls to the walls riff but also, plucking, picking, and have nice vibratos, and sustaine technique, both even have a signature vibrato which you know when newer guitarists pull them of that its from their Immoi or Gilmour pocket, (Kim Thaiyl has a large Iommi pocket and Steven Wilson have a large Gilmour pocket).

Both also are sort of godfathers to certain genres, Iommi to metal Gilmour to space/psych rock, (as Fripp is to prog) though more guitarist have contributed to psych rock sound, pysch/space is Gimours child, (sort of)

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 08:49
Both.

It depends on my mood.

I'm a fan of both bands.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 11:35
Gilmour

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 12:53
Going with the majority. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 12:55
David Gilmour.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 13:08
Gilmour by a long shot.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 13:18
Technically, I doubt that Iommi would even say he was the more proficient.

If it is a beauty contest, then it rather depends upon whether you prefer Floyd or Sabbath. I love them both, but prefer Floyd.

Therefore, Gilmour on both counts.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: March 17 2014 at 16:03
Both.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 04:47
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Both.

It depends on my mood.

I'm a fan of both bands.

^ this

Not only I love PF and BS, but I like the solo works I heard from these two great guitarists. 

Tony had three collaborations with Glenn Hughes, I warmly recommend these. 

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:11
Both - definitely depends on my mood. Both have a unique and recognisable style and the world of rock would be emptier without them.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:19
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Both.

It depends on my mood.

I'm a fan of both bands.

^ this

Not only I love PF and BS, but I like the solo works I heard from these two great guitarists. 

Tony had three collaborations with Glenn Hughes, I warmly recommend these. 

I guess it's a silly comparison. One is a prog rock guitarist with an emphasis on atmospherics and melodic soloing and the other is a heavy metal riff master.

As you say though, both really good, alone or with their respective bands.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:56
I love both, but I go with Gilmour.. Very economic, melodic.. always loved when he harmonized, too. Great tone.

Tony was one of the greatest riff masters, ever. Underrated.

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:01
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I love both, but I go with Gilmour.. Very economic, melodic.. always loved when he harmonized, too. Great tone.

Tony was one of the greatest riff masters, ever. Underrated.

underrated? everyone who listens to rock and metal knows who he is and what he's done. 

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:41
Two very different guitarists. Gilmour may be the more technically proficient of the two, but Iommi's raw power speaks to me more than Gilmour's melodic flair. That being said, I love both Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath, though I am not a fan of the post-Waters albums. I also second Cristi's recommendation of the albums Iommi recorded with Glenn Hughes (one under the Black Sabbath handle, two as Iommi) - outstanding examples of modern hard rock.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:45
one of the few times I'll vote both... neither were particularly gifted guitarists talent wise IMO.. but both excelled in what they do. .which are complete worlds apart.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 06:50
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I also second Cristi's recommendation of the albums Iommi recorded with Glenn Hughes (one under the Black Sabbath handle, two as Iommi) - outstanding examples of modern hard rock.

Seventh Star was meant to be a Iommi solo album but that's when label idiots interfere, you get a "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" as the artist. 

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 08:30
Seriously? More Gilmour for me.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 09:55
Love both, but Tony overcame that horrific accident to his fingers to create the genre of doom/dark metal so get's the vote Evil Smile

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 10:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Seriously? More Gilmour for me.

Seriously? More Iommi for me. His tone is fantastic. I never tire of his playing.

But seriously (haha), while I voted for Tony, I'd normally vote for both. I simply own more albums with TI than DG.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 03 2018 at 10:13

Seventh Star was meant to be a Iommi solo album but that's when label idiots interfere, you get a "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" as the artist.

I don't mind it being under the Sabbath banner. Quite the underrated record!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 00:37
I have to take both, because I love both so much!

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 00:45
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I don't mind it being under the Sabbath banner. Quite the underrated record!

Haven't you seen the album cover? It says "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi". It sounds like Black Sabbath had a collaboration with a musician named Tony Iommi. 

This is a wtf moment in music, if there ever was one. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 02:28
Iommi is a better metal guitar player, but Gilmour is a better all-around player, so Gilmour.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 02:37
I’m saying ‘both’. Two of my favourites. Not to mention, totally different to each other.

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 02:40
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Iommi is a better metal guitar player, but Gilmour is a better all-around player, so Gilmour.

Why do people forget that when Black Sabbath started, there was no such thing as "metal". People forget how unique and original BS was in the 70s. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 12:15
I do like many of the early iconic riffs that  Iommi came up with for Sabbath but overall Gilmour provided more listening pleasure for me.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 12:57
bah... missed the rim completely there Doc....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: ClosetothSupperBrick
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 13:40
I love both, but it's hard to choose someone over Gilmour in any two-way guitarist poll, he's probably no. 2 of all time imo, after Page

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

bah... missed the rim completely there Doc....

Too many blood orange ales today or  simply not acerbic enough...?  ;)

Love early Sabbath but Gilmour is a superb and subtle player...Iommi just isn't in the same league...he's ok for what Sabbath did but no depth imho...and please don't bring up those handful of quiet tracks  he did,,,they were not all that memorable.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:44
lmao .. huh...

Doc .....well educated.. Micky... knuckle dragging brute

you can redeem yourself by pulling a Cristi on me (© Micky 2018) and explaining what the hell ascrebic means.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:48

lmao .. huh...

Doc .....well educated.. Micky... knuckle dragging brute

you can redeem yourself by pulling a Cristi on me (© Micky 2018) and explaining what the hell ascrebic means.

"pulling a Cristi"? what's that? LOL

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:50
*cue the doctor to explain*

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:52

*cue the doctor to explain*

everyone's mysterious today

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 15:55
huh... I am like a cheap novel.. easy to read... impossible to put down

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:12
acerbic
"his acerbic wit"
(especially of a comment or style of speaking) sharp and forthright.

"..a cheap novel''.......................   I love it.
;)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:19
ahhh... I thought that is what you meant...   thanks for not leaving me hanging there Doc.. I thought I was going to have to beg to have you pull a Cristi on me... (© Micky 2018)

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:23

ahhh... I thought that is what you meant...   thanks for not leaving me hanging there Doc.. I thought I was going to have to beg to have you pull a Cristi on me... (© Micky 2018)

"pulling a Cristi on someone"? I must have missed it. I do not know if that is good or I am doing something bad, wrong. 

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:24
For Mick.....Btw....I'm currently enjoying Ys (one of your favorites) on my Shure headphones as we play these reindeer games.

:)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:31
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For Mick.....Btw....I'm currently enjoying Ys (one of your favorites) on my Shure headphones as we play these reindeer games.

oh hell yeah man...Beer

still sort of butthurt I didn't get the definitive review of that album in...  lord knows I might be its single biggest fan.. but I caught up in the lust of it kicking curve and drop dead smile... and forgot the warning to throw a prophylactic on first and be safe for she ain't clean man....

Il Balleto di Bronzo - Ys

Il Balleto di Bronzo's Ys is an unequivocal classic, and stands as one of the very best albums out of Italy, and perhaps among the finest examples of dark, heavy progressive. However, newbies to the Italian scene might want to approach this one with caution, since it can be tougher to get into than some of the other popular Italian works. This was one of the first Italian albums I got, and I was frankly unprepared for it. The pyrotechnic keyboards, thundering rhythms, the angular, punishing guitars and the abrasive vocals made for a work that I found initially dense and unrewarding. For an album that many have hailed as the best progressive rock album of all time, I was a little disappointed. Of course, I've come around by now, and certainly hold this album in high regard as one of the jewels of Italian prog, but that personal anecdote should serve as a caveat for those expecting to be blown away immediately, especially if not particularly predisposed towards the more dissonant branches of progressive rock.

Still, Ys is a complete monster. The music on here is thundering, cacophonous and simply unrelenting in its sheer, brute force. This also stands as one of the best keyboard-based albums of all time; Gianni Leone employs the full range of classic keys, from Hammond, Moog and Mellotron to piano and harpsichord, pitting them in savage, fiery duels that will absolutely tear your head off. These are contrasted against violent guitar riffs and surging basslines, making for a chaotic, mindbendingly complex ride. The music is punctuated by Leone's caterwauling operatic vocals, which are perhaps the toughest part of the album to get into, but are eventually endearing and nothing if not emotional. Take "Introduzione", an absolute beast of a cut that builds from volcanic climax to climax, as Hammonds and Moog duel it out for supremacy. Take the opening riff of "Epilogo," with its brilliant arpeggiated theme that simply bursts at the seams with intensity. The entire album is a series of mindblowing passages, with few spots of respite to be found. An indispensable Italian classic, without a doubt.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:32

"pulling a Cristi on someone"? I must have missed it. I do not know if that is good or I am doing something bad, wrong. 

hahah..  don't worry.. you did good.  You've achieved a bit of forum immortality.. and not in a bad way.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:39
^ Absolutely...Cristi is now one of the board icons and a good egg.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:40
I would say Iommi has the higher musical quality to the amount of fingers ratio of the two.

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:44

oh hell yeah man...Beer

still sort of butthurt I didn't get the definitive review of that album in...  lord knows I might be its single biggest fan.. but I caught up in the lust of it kicking curve and drop dead smile... and forgot the warning to throw a prophylactic on first and be safe for she ain't clean man....

Il Balleto di Bronzo - Ys

Il Balleto di Bronzo's Ys is an unequivocal classic, and stands as one of the very best albums out of Italy, and perhaps among the finest examples of dark, heavy progressive. However, newbies to the Italian scene might want to approach this one with caution, since it can be tougher to get into than some of the other popular Italian works. This was one of the first Italian albums I got, and I was frankly unprepared for it. The pyrotechnic keyboards, thundering rhythms, the angular, punishing guitars and the abrasive vocals made for a work that I found initially dense and unrewarding. For an album that many have hailed as the best progressive rock album of all time, I was a little disappointed. Of course, I've come around by now, and certainly hold this album in high regard as one of the jewels of Italian prog, but that personal anecdote should serve as a caveat for those expecting to be blown away immediately, especially if not particularly predisposed towards the more dissonant branches of progressive rock.

Still, Ys is a complete monster. The music on here is thundering, cacophonous and simply unrelenting in its sheer, brute force. This also stands as one of the best keyboard-based albums of all time; Gianni Leone employs the full range of classic keys, from Hammond, Moog and Mellotron to piano and harpsichord, pitting them in savage, fiery duels that will absolutely tear your head off. These are contrasted against violent guitar riffs and surging basslines, making for a chaotic, mindbendingly complex ride. The music is punctuated by Leone's caterwauling operatic vocals, which are perhaps the toughest part of the album to get into, but are eventually endearing and nothing if not emotional. Take "Introduzione", an absolute beast of a cut that builds from volcanic climax to climax, as Hammonds and Moog duel it out for supremacy. Take the opening riff of "Epilogo," with its brilliant arpeggiated theme that simply bursts at the seams with intensity. The entire album is a series of mindblowing passages, with few spots of respite to be found. An indispensable Italian classic, without a doubt.

Excellent summation of Ys......love the bass lines....and keys....the vocals are a bit much but then so are Hammill's.  ;)
Currently listening to Palepoli......an Italian evening here in Indiana.....might make some spaghetti soon.
;)

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:56
hitting the greats man.. 2 of my top 3 favorite prog albums ... make it to the third .. and the favorite of the 3 you'll get to the one review I think I did justice to...

I really am not a writer.. so I didn't do Palepoli justice.. but my capo sure did...

Review by  http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=10439" rel="nofollow - Atavachron  
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=10439" rel="nofollow">
5 stars One eventually gets it, this album, and why the 70s Italian scene was much more than pristine symphonics and precious cherubs. A few spins may be required though, and Osanna were not Banco. But they were terribly progressive and they rocked. The quintet also happened to be incredible musicians, it's just that they were a rebel-rock band first and made no apologies for that. 18 minutes of sheer heavy progdom is 'Oro Caldo', a raw jambalaya of moody atmosphere, experimental samplings, greasy garage dirt, and some flat out classic symphonic prog with a great-sounding mellotron - and other unique and wonderful synth sounds - from Lino Vairetti. Plus the hot flute riffs of Elio D'Anna, absolutely smokin' rhythm section Massimo Guarino (drums) and Lello Brandi (bass), and lo-fi blooz chunks of guitarist Danilo Rustici. But there is so much more going on here it could require months, maybe years, to sort it all out and fully absorb this recording. More than prog rock, with a pull toward the avant garde but never slipping too far away. The session has an inviting, casual tone wherein everyone is welcome to listen and even participate, deep dreams and strange parties abound, plenty of texture, sensuality and odd people... like watching an orgy but not sure if you should join in. The set reminds at times of modern theater as well (i.e. 'Hair'), but shouts out with heavy mercury and constant invention. 'Animale Senza Respiro' takes over for the second half as things really begin to come on. The drugs have kicked-in, man, and it keeps getting better with some ripping guitar and hot band interplay, D'Anna's disjointed saxophones, wild changes, and bathtubs filled with lysergic trips. It all climaxes with the melodic and powerful voice of Vairetti and a bit of insanity, and leaves the listener wondering what they just heard in a very good way. Fabulous, and recommended.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:58

what does being "a good egg" mean?. English is not my first language. :)

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:01

what does being "a good egg" mean?. English is not my first language. :)

it means a good personSmile. You can rest easy!

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:02
a damn nice guy....  

to be honest .. I had no idea English wasn't your first ...hah...  take that as a compliment. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:06

a damn nice guy....  

to be honest .. I had no idea English wasn't your first ...hah...  take that as a compliment. 

thanks, I will take it as a compliment :)

always nice to see a Mama Raff appearance.. out of the blue.... like an artillery shell you never hear coming....just like the old days. Umm hmmm...though in the old days she usually was to protect the poor moron I was taking apart...  and to give me a spanking. Oh the good old days of the site.  Raff the admin.. Micky the troublemaker.. oh those were the days..

-------------

^It means you are A-Ok,,,,,a good person and willing to have fun even  if it means taking a few hits.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:09
and on PA's...  the 'hits' mean we love you.. you only have to worry when we ignore you.

-------------

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 10:53
Apples to oranges. 
Voted Iommi. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk