Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97800
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 10:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your Best Prog Memories
Posted By: deafmoon
Subject: Your Best Prog Memories
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:10
As I was answering a post on the site, it brought back some very great memories of life with Prog in it for me. Maybe yours was a special show or gathering where you heard a prog tune that lifted you in the air. Post them... 
Here's mine...
Yellow sunshine & a bright blue sky on a Sunday afternoon in May. I was 21 years old. People hanging out at the park, sitting on the grass, playing frisbee, bare feet, laughter & smiles. My buddy Tommy playing his Ovation acoustic... Mood for A Day, The Clap, All Good People, Breathe, From The Beginning, Ripples, all there and joyous. Now if memory serves me, yes we were all enhanced that day, but nevertheless it lives so vivid in my mind!
Why the hell did life have to get in the way?
Prog Forever!

-------------
Deafmoon

Replies:
Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:18
In the beautiful beginning of spring, 1985, just when things are starting to warm up and become human again. I am 22 years old, and not that familiar with progressive rock.  A friend lends me a copy of Triumvirat's Illusions On A Double Dimple. I had seen the "mouse in an egg-shell cover" in used record stores before, but had never actually heard the record. I'm in my living room, with my headphones on, and listening to it. The beauty of the music seemed to distill in me all the beauty of that '85 spring; I knew right when I heard it, that I had stumbled across "the real thing" when it comes to progressive rock. Mind-blowing technique coupled with beauty. And as that spring unfolded, I had to hear this record over and over. This opened the floodgates for collecting prog for me. An unforgettable experience.

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:41
I'll go with something more recent. Steven Wilson show last May in Boulder. A friend of mine flew in from Portland Oregon to see the show - we've become Wilson groupies, always catching a show somewhere in the US. We spent a couple of great Boulder days cycling, then a great afternoon on the Pearl Street Mall eating and drinking, and then off to the show. 

The show was at the Boulder Theater, a smallish venue - I would guess 1,200 or so. We had seats in the fourth row, middle - absolutely fantastic. Met some great people at the show, including a fellow who flew in from Texas to catch the show and was the spitting image of Nick Beggs - go figure. The band was on fantastic form: Marco being the maniac that he is on drums, Guthrie putting on a guitar clinic, and Steven directing it all and drawing the audience into his music.

For me the event felt like turning the clock back 35 years - I was young, I was with great friends, I was again engaged in discovering and being emerged in fantastic music, and most importantly I was immersed in a communal setting that I hadn't felt in a long time. It was college, 1977 all over again. Great night...

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:42
One of my fondest memories was when my dad introduced me to King Crimson for the first time. I've been playing the guitar for 22 years and after a two or three years playing my dad came into the practice room one day and told me that I sounded like Robert Fripp. I said "Robert who?" My dad grabbed his LP of "Beat" and played "Neal and Jack and Me" for me. I was in complete astonishment and still am to this day. King Crimson, without me knowing it at the time, was my entry into the world of progressive rock. This moment has remained a revelation to me.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:48
I guess it would be shaking Robert Fripp's hand after a "Crafty Guitarist" concert.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 10:28
1984 - Nostell Priory, Yorkshire.

Hot sunny day, excellent Theakstons bar with Old Peculier. General bonhomie and goodwill to the world.

Bands: Openers - a band I'd never heard of - but were excellent - called Marillion (wonder what happened to them???)
2nd Huang Chung - they got bottled off after about 5 numbers, one of which they had to restart
3rd Lindisfarne (brilliant as always)
4th The Blues Band (Superb)
Headliners Jethro Tull (2 hours of brilliance from the days when Anderson could sing.)

The only thing that rivals it was the reception Andy Latimer and Camel got when they walked on stage at Harrogate for the first night of the Retirement Sucks tour last Oct. I've never seen so many grown men crying with joy.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 10:34
Driving 10 hours from Cincinnati to Washington to see Univers Zero play for the first time at the French Embassy, made especially excellent by Miriodor being the support. I was giddy all day.

First time seeing King Crimson in NY in 2000 (?) had been a fan for years and years and always assumed I'd never get to see them. They tore up the place that night.

My first Nearfest in 2010 meeting so many people I'd only known online to that point, made a whole bunch of friends.

Going to RIO in 2011 in France, I was sitting having a beer & reading a book outside the venue on the Friday before the show and noticed that the Present & Univers Zero guys were at the next table. I didn't want to be an ass so left them alone and continued reading. After about 15 minutes Dave Kerman asked me who I was & if I wanted to come over. I made a lot of friends that weekend. The Univers Zero - Present - Aranis concert with 17 people on stage was monstrous. Also discovered Alaamailman Vasarat at that festival.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 10:55
Standing five feet from Faust just before their set at a festival, and one of them coming over to ask what time my band is playing the following night.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:59
August '96

Octobre in Montréal, ELP & Jethro Tull in Toronto, King Crimson in Asbury Park, ELP & Jethro Tull in Hartford.

What a trip it's been!

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 14:54
The second or third time that I listened to The Yes Album. "Starship Trooper" was on (the "Würm" part with Steve Howe's guitar and Tony Kaye's background chords, all in a climax) and I remember gasping for breath and sweating all over my body and I could only think: "What incredibly, incredibly good!" Maybe I never enjoyed music more that at that moment.

I remember having being very unhappily in love (she didn't love me Cry), and I was in a car and the one who drove had a tape of Camel's Moonmadness on it, and the beautiful music was so consoling at that moment in time.

I remember buying Genesis' Trick Of The Tail and it was like being into another world. It was still the age of lp and the beautiful artwork was on the sleeve, on the inner sleeve with all the lyrics written in calligraphy. Even the sleeve around the lp itself had the artwork. Really beautiful.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 15:03
The first time I heard Tangerine Dream on a compilation cassette tape given to me by a friend in high school, and then heading over to the local record shop (within walking distance – those were the days!) and checking out a series of album covers that sported Monique Froese's whimsical if not arcane photographic manipulations.

I had enough money to buy only one album. Cassettes were out of stock, but I had an econo turntable made by a brand I'm embarrassed to reference (LOL). The album covers and track titles made the choice a difficult one, but I eventually went with the most "sci-fi" looking of the bunch (I'll leave that to speculation).

I took the record home and was not disappointed, and even delighted that one of the album's tracks had been on the compilation tape given to me. I was an instant fan.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 15:06
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I remember buying Genesis' Trick Of The Tail and it was like being into another world. It was still the age of lp and the beautiful artwork was on the sleeve, on the inner sleeve with all the lyrics written in calligraphy. Even the sleeve around the lp itself had the artwork. Really beautiful.

There was nothing quite like going to the record store, purchasing that album, scurrying back to your room, and devouring a beautifully designed gate-fold cover while listening to the album for the first time. I immediately think of DSOTM, Lamb, TAAB, CTTE, etc.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 15:11
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

There was nothing quite like going to the record store, purchasing that album, scurrying back to your room, and devouring a beautifully designed gate-fold cover while listening to the album for the first time. I immediately think of DSOTM, Lamb, TAAB, CTTE, etc.

Absolutely! That was one of the best things in the age of lp, and prog bands were very good at that.
A friend of mine noticed that I didn't buy all those Genesis, Yes etc. albums at the same time, but I gave each record its time, like a good wine. 

Posted By: samdelrussi
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 15:59
Among the many great Prog memories the standouts are: the legendary Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City "Relayer" concert. With that music and those blue laser beams circling over head it was as close to a religious experience as I've ever encountered. I remember it as if yesterday, John Anderson was on stage alone with exotic wind instruments entertaining us as we entered the stadium describing what instrument this or that was and being very unassuming. This was well before everyone was seated and the concert officially began. The very next day in Central Park was the Gentle Giant "Free Hand" concert opened by the Starcastle "Lady of the Lake" concert on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. How could there be a more perfect Prog weekend?  The other standouts were the Renaissance "Turn of the Cards" and "Scheherazade"concerts at the Capitol Theater in Passaic which was walking distance from my house. I Never missed a Renaissance concert and they seemed to love that venue, very intimate setting for the time. It was actually a somewhat converted movie theater holding about two thousand people max. I would do almost anything to be transported back to those days just for a short time to remind myself that I was actually blessed enough to experience them.

-------------
Sam Del Russi

Posted By: RedNightmareKing
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 17:58
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

I'll go with something more recent. Steven Wilson show last May in Boulder. A friend of mine flew in from Portland Oregon to see the show - we've become Wilson groupies, always catching a show somewhere in the US. We spent a couple of great Boulder days cycling, then a great afternoon on the Pearl Street Mall eating and drinking, and then off to the show. 

The show was at the Boulder Theater, a smallish venue - I would guess 1,200 or so. We had seats in the fourth row, middle - absolutely fantastic. Met some great people at the show, including a fellow who flew in from Texas to catch the show and was the spitting image of Nick Beggs - go figure. The band was on fantastic form: Marco being the maniac that he is on drums, Guthrie putting on a guitar clinic, and Steven directing it all and drawing the audience into his music.

I was at that show, absolutely spectacular. I saw Opeth about two weeks later at a different venue in Boulder, great show too.

As for me, some of my best memories come from the later summer of 2011. That summer, I had been getting more prog and outside of the general classic rock arena, with friends introducing me to King Crimson and the much more progressive side of Yes. Also, my birthday rolled around in December, and I had another friend from New Jersey speaking of this man named Steven Wilson, who I had no knowledge of. He linked me to the then-new track Sectarian, and I was immediately hooked. I had him send me a copy, and I think it is one of my favorite and most memorable gifts I've ever gotten. A little earlier than that, I also discovered Phideaux through another forum. That year was amazing.

-------------
I consider drone metal to be progressive...

Posted By: doctorphil
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 18:22
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

1984 - Nostell Priory, Yorkshire.

Hot sunny day, excellent Theakstons bar with Old Peculier. General bonhomie and goodwill to the world.

Bands: Openers - a band I'd never heard of - but were excellent - called Marillion (wonder what happened to them???)
2nd Huang Chung - they got bottled off after about 5 numbers, one of which they had to restart
3rd Lindisfarne (brilliant as always)
4th The Blues Band (Superb)
Headliners Jethro Tull (2 hours of brilliance from the days when Anderson could sing.)

The only thing that rivals it was the reception Andy Latimer and Camel got when they walked on stage at Harrogate for the first night of the Retirement Sucks tour last Oct. I've never seen so many grown men crying with joy.
I was there too, as an 18 year old, with all my Marillion fan friends. It was a great day.

-------------
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I guess it would be shaking Robert Fripp's hand after a "Crafty Guitarist" concert.

I didn't shake his hand, but he stood right next to me in the aisle and filed his fingernails before he went onstage ('79 I think) for his Frippertronic performance at the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis. I glanced up at him and inhaled some of his fingernail dust.

I did shake Fred Frith's hand though. I snuck backstage with some friends after a Skeleton Crew performance at the same venue ('82 I think).

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 19:56
Meeting one of my heroes, Claudio Simonetti, and the rest of the Daemonia guys at their table in the lobby at ProgWest 2002 in LAC.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 22:59
1 - Summer of 1971, I had just turned 13 and I heard ELP's first album at a drop in center at a local high school. When the Three Fates started I was transfixed (for life).

2 - Seeing Moraz / Bruford perform Music for Piano and Drums in a 500 seat auditorium at a local college. Only about 50 people showed up (I assume it was poorly advertised) and I still have the recording from my newly purchased Toshiba stereo walkman recorder.

3 - Seeing ELP with the orchestra at Cobo Hall in Detroit (I rented a 400mm lens for my Nikon FM and shot four rolls of slides)

4 - Sweet talking my way into the sound check for ASIA in my hometown of London Ontario. Sat chatting with the soundman (I was doing sound for BUSKER at the time http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3576" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3576 ) when Carl walked into the auditorium. He came over and chatted with me. I told him about the Cobo Hall show and the great shots I had taken. I had brought along the ASIA LP sleeve to try and get some signatures. I got everyones! After our chat Carl went up to tune his drums. I was standing at the edge of the stage and he asked me what I thought about the tuning of his toms. I later realized he had been sitting in the very seat I had bought my ticket for, no guff.  Next I spoke with Geoff Downes and mentioned I was mixing sound for a keyboard driven duo. He said "Oh you'll love this then" and hauled me up on stage and showed my his new Fairlight synth. Freakin' awesome day !

I still have the signed Album sleeve (and album of course)

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 23:26
...meeting Bob Fripp at a small record store, after he finished with his Frippertronics performance on his "Drive to 1984" tour.  

After he played, Bob said "Excuse me, I must wash my hands" and disappeared into the store's back room.  Nearly everyone in the audience left but me.

In a few minutes, Bob came strolling out, big grin on his face, and hand outstretched for mine.  He asked me "Did you like it?"

errr....yes, very much!  

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 04 2014 at 23:45
Light ConstruKction

-------------

Posted By: Prog 74
Date Posted: April 05 2014 at 07:45
One early summer morning back in 1996 I left for work and along the way decided to listen to a copy of the 'Yes Album' a friend had given me.  I knew of Yes and like some of their songs, but had never really listened to their albums before.  I was blown away!  I ended up driving right past my job and just kept going.  I spent the day listening to this beautiful album over and over again.  The sun was shining, car windows were down and the music turned up.  An amazing experience.  Oh and I ended up quitting that job...

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 05 2014 at 10:08
Summer of 1999, I fulfilled a pipe dream I'd had for years by actually seeing Magma in concert.  They had just reformed and were making a rare visit to the US for ProgFest in San Francisco (I came from Atlanta).  I held onto every note like spoonfuls of a really bitchen bowl of ice cream.  It was one of the most spiritually intense moments in my life.  As is now well known, the newer incarnations of Magma are every bit as vital as the older incarnations.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 05 2014 at 16:04
Meeting Neil Peart's dad was something else, especially listening to this proud father talk about his son for the 20 minutes to half hour that he was in the store. When he came back he gave me a Snakes & Arrows t-shirt which was their current album at the time. 
Yes there's been concerts I could bring up but its been listening to tunes while driving around that has given me so many amazing memories. It was hearing Dream Theater's over 23 minute A Change Of Seasons for the first time as I drove to to work that made me realize my search was over. I had goose bumps listening to this and I never thought I would again find music that would do that. I had found Prog Rock ! And while my search was over in one way, it had only just begun in another way and it continues to this day.
Listening to Permanent Waves while driving around the beaches spaced out in the early eighties was a dream wasn't it ?

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Daysbetween
Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 04:13
The first time I listened to Close to the Edge in 73 and it transposed me to another world from which I never came back.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 06:03
I heard lots of prog rock as a kid with little or no idea who or what.... and then later on checking stuff out and realizing what I had been hearing, like smell activating a memory. There were a lot of students living where I grew up and I think I heard everything I could. Sometimes even when I didn't want to like trying to get to sleep but not really worrying about it. Bit like being an adult (more or less) only others are trying to get to sleep and I'm not really worrying about it. Same music though... Wink

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 11:01
Hi,

Too many to matter, but i'm specially fond of running around Fred Meyer's in Salem, Oregon with Gilly looking for Halloween stuff that she could have fun with and listening to her talk about the bad impression on witches that the holiday was giving the kids, and lowering the value of women with it!

A nice evening with Daevid as well, talking about anything and everything you can think of!

Too many of the other rock moments are stupid, egocentric and not worth the hassle and discussion!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 12:31
Some more recent memories,

2002-talking by phone to former Dzyan and Vita Nova guitarist Prof. Eddy Marron, one of my musical heroes. His English was better than my Dutch, luckily.

2013-connected on facebook with a close friend of the late Helmut Koellen, and learned a few things that I did not know about his life. It was a pleasure communicating with someone who knew Helmut well.

2014-recieving a nice thank you for my reviews of LIbra albums from none other than their lead guitarist Nicola DiStaso.

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 19:22
1969. I am 11, already heavily into rock in most genres. My older brother comes home from college. Always had "new" music to play for me and my younger brother. He puts on a new album that he first heard only a few weeks earlier: In the Court of the Crimson King by a new band called King Crimson. By the time we are less than a full minute into 21st Century Schizoid Man, I sense that something has changed in rock. By the end of the album, I know that I have heard something extraordinary, and that rock will never be the same.

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 19:32
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

In the beautiful beginning of spring, 1985, just when things are starting to warm up and become human again. I am 22 years old, and not that familiar with progressive rock.  A friend lends me a copy of Triumvirat's Illusions On A Double Dimple. I had seen the "mouse in an egg-shell cover" in used record stores before, but had never actually heard the record. I'm in my living room, with my headphones on, and listening to it. The beauty of the music seemed to distill in me all the beauty of that '85 spring; I knew right when I heard it, that I had stumbled across "the real thing" when it comes to progressive rock. Mind-blowing technique coupled with beauty. And as that spring unfolded, I had to hear this record over and over. This opened the floodgates for collecting prog for me. An unforgettable experience.
Hey man i've noticed your a Triumvirat fan.When i was selling records on ebay by the ton i sold several Triumvirat LPs.I never once gave it a thought to give one a spin.I'm beginning to think i might have missed out on something.

Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 19:36
^you did miss out on something, friend. The best ones are the first three, Mediterranean Tales, Illusions On A Double Dimple, and Spartacus. Must haves for seventies prog. They are Symphonic Prog influenced by The Nice and ELP, but are not a clone, Triumvirat has it's own musical identity, and a great one at that!

Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 20:39

^you did miss out on something, friend. The best ones are the first three, Mediterranean Tales, Illusions On A Double Dimple, and Spartacus. Must haves for seventies prog. They are Symphonic Prog influenced by The Nice and ELP, but are not a clone, Triumvirat has it's own musical identity, and a great one at that!
By golly i will check them out & report back.

Date Posted: April 06 2014 at 20:48
My best prog memories have to be from the early `80s.At the the time i had a `72 Chevelle SS that would run like hell-a beast.But i also had a very decent stereo in it.I really miss driving it around with Black Sabbath,Blue Oyster Cult or Pink Floyd blasting-boy those were days.Had lots of fun with and in that car,but i had to do something with my life so i joined the ArmyLOL

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: April 07 2014 at 11:51
King Crimson at the Greek Theater on their Beat tour.  I was absolutely stoned by the end of the first song and we hadn't even started partying yet.  Absolutely mesmerizing and captivating like no other show I've ever been.  Seen some great shows over the years (just got back from Baja as a matter of fact), but the Crims really nailed it that night.

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: April 07 2014 at 21:57
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

By golly i will check them out & report back.

I wouldn't count Old Love Die Hard out. It might be because it was the first one I heard but I love it. It's poppier than the other 3 but really high quality poppy. Maybe a bit Supertrampy.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 07 2014 at 23:45
Although that Jethro Tull in my hometown of Belgrade in March 1975 was the first progressive rock concert that I was attended as an 12 yrs old kid (so many thanks for older boys who took me there), my best memory is SMAK gig in Belgrade in September 1977.

The above video is a collage actually, but well reflects the atmosphere of their gigs in seventies.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 08 2014 at 14:42
Tull in '73 live behind Passion Play. Simply marvelous!

Posted By: 33rpm
Date Posted: April 09 2014 at 18:45
My fisrt Jethro Tull concert they played all of TAAB and most of Aqualung. Simply amazing! I'll say it again, for my money Ian Anderson was the greatest frontman on stage! Saw them also do APP complete as well.

Saw Yes shortly do the Yes Songs tour. Incredible.

Saw Mahavishnu Orchestra play most of Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame in a small venue of 200 people and it was amazing.

-------------
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 13:17
Originally posted by 33rpm 33rpm wrote:

My fisrt Jethro Tull concert they played all of TAAB and most of Aqualung. Simply amazing! I'll say it again, for my money Ian Anderson was the greatest frontman on stage! Saw them also do APP complete as well.Saw Yes shortly do the Yes Songs tour. Incredible. Saw Mahavishnu Orchestra play most of Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame in a small venue of 200 people and it was amazing.

To have seen both live performances of Tull's TAAB and APP must have been awe-inspiring. I'm even more jealous that you saw Yes and Mahavishnu Orch. during their most noted periods of shining glory (Yessongs and Birds of Fire). Missed both as I had not yet starting attending shows then but heard both records enough to wish I had been there. You must surely be proud that you were.

Posted By: 33rpm
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 14:58
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by 33rpm 33rpm wrote:

My fisrt Jethro Tull concert they played all of TAAB and most of Aqualung. Simply amazing! I'll say it again, for my money Ian Anderson was the greatest frontman on stage! Saw them also do APP complete as well.Saw Yes shortly do the Yes Songs tour. Incredible. Saw Mahavishnu Orchestra play most of Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame in a small venue of 200 people and it was amazing.

To have seen both live performances of Tull's TAAB and APP must have been awe-inspiring. I'm even more jealous that you saw Yes and Mahavishnu Orch. during their most noted periods of shining glory (Yessongs and Birds of Fire). Missed both as I had not yet starting attending shows then but heard both records enough to wish I had been there. You must surely be proud that you were.

Thanks, they were all amazing along with many more. Just lucky on the timing although it means I am OLD!

-------------
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 15:20
Musically: The first time I Selling England by the Pound (when it got to the "dance right on" part) was absolutely magical.

Real life: Having Toby Driver recognize me from a previous concert and then signing my vinyl copy of Coyote (and me generally freaking out like a little kid)

-------------

Matt

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 17:23
I started college in 1969....too many memories over the next 5 or 6 years to recall and usually when we were listening we were ...uh..in an altered state.
Wink
I did really enjoy seeing Yes in 1973 and Tull in 1974........that was special.
Saw KC 3 times in Chicago in the 80's and early 90's....wish I could have seen them in the Wetton years but I was never in the right place at the right time....it's always about timing.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: claugroi
Date Posted: April 11 2014 at 06:56
Shows by Yes (2010 and 2013), Jon Anderson (2011) and Roger Waters (The Wall Tour, 2012).
Sex with Supper's Ready playing on the laptop beside the bed (don't try it; too chaotic).

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: April 12 2014 at 14:37
Being in the front row for NEARfest Apocalypse.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 07:44
I met Adrian Belew during the intermission of a Belew and the Bears concert at a small venue in Lexington, KY. It must have been around 1986. I asked him what it was like being part of the second coming of Crimson. He said something to the effect that the band was an adventure in great musicians with even greater personalities.

We laughed, and he headed on to prepare for the second half of the show. His energy is incredible.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 08:07
I remember hearing Pink Floyd's The Wall at College when someone put the album on during a break, and nobody went back to class... we just sat there in awe of this collossus.

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 08:10
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

Shows by Yes (2010 and 2013), Jon Anderson (2011) and Roger Waters (The Wall Tour, 2012).

I also cherish going to Yes concert a few years back in Melbourne at the Palais Theatre. Met some nice PA members too and really felt good hearing the legends belt out all thier classics. I nearly died when Starship Trooper cranked up.

-------------

Posted By: ciggy starlust
Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 09:18
Seeing the last ever concert by The Nice in Oct 2003 in Watford (London), UK. After the show got to talk with Lee Jackson for a few minutes, he was genuinely cordial and very gracious.

Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 09:23
Originally posted by ciggy starlust ciggy starlust wrote:

Seeing the last ever concert by The Nice in Oct 2003 in Watford (London), UK. After the show got to talk with Lee Jackson for a few minutes, he was genuinely cordial and very gracious.

Wow thats great. The Nice are an incredible band. I always loved their version of America.

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 23:14
This was pretty damn cool!  Backstage after Yes' 35th Anniversary in Chicago....

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 23:36
 Getting my PA review of Viljans Oga published on Anglagard's facebook page, then sending them a message thanking them, then getting a reply back from Johan, then becoming friends and talking with him on facebook. Guys, he's super nice. That's a band of truly wonderful musicians and wonderful people. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: April 14 2014 at 00:01
Getting my name on the thankyou liner notes of the Corvus Stone album was really cool,,, and unexpected.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2014 at 00:19
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Getting my name on the thankyou liner notes of the Corvus Stone album was really cool,,, and unexpected.

E
 Excellent!!Clap

Posted By: sankalp1989
Date Posted: April 14 2014 at 02:24
Accents India Tour and Sunburn at Goa

Date Posted: April 14 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by sankalp1989 sankalp1989 wrote:

Accents India Tour and Sunburn at Goa

Welcome!  We often discuss India's influence on prog, please post your thoughts!  

Date Posted: April 15 2014 at 05:34
We listen and appreciate all music me especially listen depending on ma mood

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:39
Lots of memories.

Perhaps my purchase of Classic Yes a few years ago and listening to it over and over--later leading to my collection of all things early Yes, and about a month of only listening to that music. also..

discovering Rennaisance (on radio)

the two winters I spent doing my prog rock themed radio shows 

one night when I created an epic playlist and spent about 5h of close uninterrupted listening (Lets see.. I think it was Gates of Delerium, Echoes, Octavarium, Supper's Ready, Close to the Edge, Ommadawn). I think it left me floating

Not as much for concerts for me, except the Baja Prog festival the last two years was very memorable.

-------------
Z

Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 23:09
Originally posted by sankalp1989 sankalp1989 wrote:

We listen and appreciate all music me especially listen depending on ma mood

How about some Indian prog bands?  I'm familiar with musicians who are Indian influenced (Fareed Haque is a good example), but no native bands from India!  Please share what you like and what is popular! 

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 04:19
Motherjane : This band creates a unique blend of rock and Classical music. 

Indian Ocean : They are the pioneers of fusion music scene in India. 

Advaita: This band's sound has an Indian Rock feel to it with Indian classical influences. 

Raghu Dixit : Their music can be best termed as folk rock with a universal appeal to it. 

Parikrama :

Bhayanak Maut  

Soulmate : blues band

Mrigya : contemporary world fusion music.

Euphoria 

Kailasa : Rock music with Sufi and folk influences.

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 16:38
^Thank you very much!  I'll start digging into those!  I personally LOVE Indian instrumental music with tablas (ragas), and Fareed Haque weaves Indian sounds into his brand of fusion!  

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 21:36
seeing Yes 35th Anniversary show at Madison Sq Garden---specifically the finale of And You and I---which was so loud and so powerful--the Howe slide guitar sooo amazing --the keyboard so powerful---the entire Garden stood up and gave the boys a 5 minute ovation before the song ended (the ending being Jon singing and u and I one more time) --brought a tear to my eye as I thought how amazing a band and for so long---and still such great music--and I also thought I wound't see this original line up again and turns out --I was right.Cry

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 22:32
Best prog memory at the moment.....first listens of In The Land Of Grey & Pink when I was 10

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:42
When I first got my 10 speaker audio system from Bose and cranked a few live albums like,
Saviour Machine's Live and Deutschland (1995,2002). That was pretty special moment for me.

Also. Seeing Dream Theater live for the first time at Toronto's Molson amphitheater.

Finding 6 brand new Iron Maiden albums for 22$ at sonicboom records many years back.

Seeing GOBLIN live at The Opera House last year. It's the first time they've ever played on Canadian soil.
Pretty special.

My Dad buying me The Genesis Box set live recordings (1973-2007) for my 29th birthday.

Oh so many more but I don't wanna bore people. ;)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 10:18
Hi,

I have to be honest here.

Some of the really good memories in "prog" or "progressive" anything have taken place in one spot for me.

Prog Archives!

There are too many writings, by too many folks to mention, and too many ideas, thoughts and inter-actions that are so much more in tune with "prog" and "progressive" than, EVEN, most of the music we bother to mention.

I still think that prog/progressive is more world wide wise than we give it credit for, and the board has a serious listing of bands from other countries, albeit too few of them will ever make the top 100, because that is a top ten, Billboard, or Top of the Pops style concept and a sales ploy in an industrial/commercial society. I would rather the fans voted for bands, and the top 100 would be the bands that people love and talk about the most.

Still, compared to my having dinner with, and photographed such, and spent time with, and what not, I find some of the articles and discussions here way more inspiring, in terms of my listening and desire to discuss it all.

So to you all ... a toast! Your favorite drink! And you too, old fart Dean!

(How weird, me not liking the prog being Brittish and I have the biggest collection of Brittish theater, film, music, comedy, literature ... oh well! I already feel like Terry Gilliam! It's the curse of being born on Nov 22!)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Gatot
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 08:44
When I was 12, my brother gave me a cassette of Genesis "Nursery Cryme" and a local music magazine "Aktuil" featuring Genesis and Peter Gabriel. He said :"Listen and read!". I did not understand the Musical Box but I can understand The Return of The Giant Hogweed. Only when I was 14, I was blown away by Yes' "Roundabout" and declared myself as Yes fan. There was no term such as "prog" at that time ...

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: April 22 2014 at 18:11
Hosting one of Patrick Moraz's CHAT shows in '95.
Winning a backstage pass after a Rick Wakeman Silent Nights tour show in 1985 and listening to him tell war stories.
A nice solo chat with Alan White during a Keys To Ascension in-store promo.

I've also met (not including meet and greets) Peter Banks, Jeff Berlin, and Steve Morse.

And of course, my first prog concert at the Hollywood Bowl for the Relayer Tour.

Posted By: dave-the-rave
Date Posted: April 25 2014 at 14:09
1. Having Jon Anderson sing 'Happy Birthday' to me at a solo show at BB King's in NYC in 2004, then tracking down a bootleg of the show so as to own it forever

2. Driving 10 hours from NYC to Columbus, OH to sit 3rd row center for Yes' Masterworks tour; met the band backstage, got autographs on my crayon drawing of the band, and followed them to their hotel bar to drink with them until 2 am

3. Sang 'I Talk to the Wind' (from first KC album) with Ian MacDonald (who wrote it) on guitar, when we were both working separately on music in a NYC music studio. (I work in advertising and was working on the music to a Hershey's Bar None TV spot). After finishing, Ian said, "Nicely done. Nest time we'll do it in the right key."

4. Stood 10 feet behind Gregg Allman onstage at an ABB gig in NYC's Beacon Theater. (A friend of mine is a friend of Warren Haynes' wife).

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 10:21
Well there was that time, you know, when those guys did that thing...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk