Print Page | Close Window

Opeth

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97873
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 18:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Opeth
Posted By: Rihanna
Subject: Opeth
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 12:57
As i know are Progressive Metal alloweded here? 
If, i wanna say that Opeth is one of my favoritebands ever created, all  music they do is amazing and dynamic!
In Progressive Metal they are my favoriteband, yeah better than Tool and Dream Theater even if they are too.

Say what do you think about Opeth? Any Opethfans here?

My favoritealbum are Morningriser and Orchid they are just magic!

Replies:
Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 13:56
Opeth are alloweded here for sure.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 13:59
Only on Metal Mondays

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 14:10
Big fan myself. Ghost Reveries is easily in my top 5 albums of all time. That one and Still Life are flawless masterpieces in every way, and BWP is also nearly perfect. Also have a soft spot for their Damnation album. I haven't heard the ones you've mentioned, though.

Posted By: ultra plinian
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 14:28
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Big fan myself. Ghost Reveries is easily in my top 5 albums of all time. That one and Still Life are flawless masterpieces in every way, and BWP is also nearly perfect. Also have a soft spot for their Damnation album. I haven't heard the ones you've mentioned, though.

Have you heard their My Arms, Your Hearse album? If not, you need to get this immediately. I'm serious. Don't hesitate. You could have a fatal accident at any moment and miss out on one of the greatest progressive metal albums of all time. By the time you reach the end of When, you'll understand. That is my second favorite Opeth album next to Damnation. I do love them all though. And I'm one of those that finds their new direction very refreshing. Though I don't think Heritage was better than Ghost Reveries or Watershed, I do think it was the first step towards another masterpiece. Granted, it had great moments, such as I Feel the Dark, Haxprocess and expecially Folklore -- all great tracks; however, I think they probably needed such an album to really iron out the much more organic style they were experimenting with that will eventually eolve into a new masterpiece (which is why I have such high hopes for the upcoming album).

-------------
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister from George R.R. Martin's http://www.westeros.org/" rel="nofollow - A Song of Ice and Fire

Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 14:48
Originally posted by utlra plinian utlra plinian wrote:

Have you heard their My Arms, Your Hearse album? If not, you need to get this immediately. I'm serious. Don't hesitate. You could have a fatal accident at any moment and miss out on one of the greatest progressive metal albums of all time. That is my second favorite Opeth album next to Damnation. I do love them all though. And I'm one of those that finds their new direction very refreshing. Though I don't think Heritage was better than Ghost Reveries or Watershed, I do think it was the first step towards another masterpiece. Granted, it had great moments, such as I Feel the Dark, Haxprocess and expecially Folklore -- all great tracks; however, I think they probably needed such an album to really iron out the much more organic style they were experimenting with that will eventually eolve into a new masterpiece (which is why I have such high hopes for the upcoming album).

I haven't heard that one yet, no. I'll definitely keep that in mind though! Thanks so much for the suggestion, and God bless! Thumbs Up

I've also got high hopes for the new one. A more melodic Heritage sounds like a really epic experience. An interview I read online said it's supposed to be their best since Ghost Reveries, and can be described as a lost link between it and Damnation.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 21:32
I really love Prog Metal, and I have come to enjoy some Opeth. However, my selections from this band must be far from conventional. Mainly, because I don't like grunting at all, and their soft non-metal songs are rather boring for me, so Damnation is no holy grail for me (except for the song "Closure", which I really love, but mainly the version from "Lamentations"). I do like the few metal songs without grunting they have made, and Heritage was rather nice too. The one grunting song that I do have come to love is "The Drapery Falls", once the main theme got hold of me I just had to love it and withsand the grunting... even though, once again, I like better the version from Lamentations, which sounds kind of more melodic and organic.

Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 21:33
Oh yeah, and I have high hopes for the new album, which seems bound to have more metal than Heritage, and more melody, and no grunting... so far it seems it will be the album I have been waiting them to make... let's see if I don't end up disapointed.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 21:40
I heard one Opeth album and that was enough for me. Smile

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: April 10 2014 at 23:30
No wonder if their next album would be the best in their discography.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Rihanna
Date Posted: April 11 2014 at 05:09
What is your favoritesong by them?

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 11 2014 at 13:04
Originally posted by Rihanna Rihanna wrote:

Date Posted: April 11 2014 at 21:24

What is your favoritesong by them?<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre">     </span>

I don't know who are you asking this to, but if it's a general question for anyone who may want to answer then I'd say... I don't know, it would be difficult for me to choose just one, bit it's among "The Drapery Falls" (lamentations version), "Closure" (lamentations version, too), "Burden", and "Folklore".

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: April 12 2014 at 15:38
When the Lord closeth the door, he Opeth a window.

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: April 12 2014 at 17:26

And

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: April 12 2014 at 22:27
The grunts are one of the main reasons I love Opeth. He' s such a beast! Favorite growling ever, especially on Still Life. Stuff is insane!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 12 2014 at 23:01
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

LOL
The only one I own is Watershed...but I've heard several of the higher rated ones. They are very good at what they do
and I would prolly be more interested in their  material if it weren't for the 'death growl vocals'.
Heritage is more accessible if you want to give it a try.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 12 2014 at 23:23
I only have 'Damnation' , which I place on a pedestal. Haven't heard any others.....

Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 01:47

^I highly recommend Ghost Reveries if you like Damnation and want to hear something with the perfect balance between heavier and lighter textures. Probably the most musical metal album ever, and boy is it prog.

I love the favorite song choices so far! I have a hard time picking a favorite, so here's a top 5 in no particular order:

Ghost of Perdition

Harlequin Forest

Blackwater Park

Isolation Years

White Cluster

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 09:08
heard "Damnation" again in the car last week and was mesmirised - it gets better with every passing year. 

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 09:41
I've never been an Opeth fan. Growls/Heavy Metal has never been in my listening and i've never been interested enough to keep with their "alternative" albums like Damnation and Heritage. Just falls flat for me.

Oh well. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: April 13 2014 at 13:10
Darn! Me love them growlings!!! Also speaking on Ghost Reveries. That instrumental outro on Atonement is otherworldly!!! One of my favorites.

Posted By: ultra plinian
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 13:52
Opeth mastermind Mikael Åkerfeldt guests on this week’s podcast to talk about their new album that drops in June, how his kids take to metal and his thoughts on the current “occult” metal trend. He also talks at length about how he no longer feels inspired by death metal, and why Opeth’s music has moved away from that sound.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/04/14/metalsucks-podcast-46-special-guest-mikael-akerfeldt-opeth/" rel="nofollow - http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/04/14/metalsucks-podcast-46-special-guest-mikael-akerfeldt-opeth/

-------------
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister from George R.R. Martin's http://www.westeros.org/" rel="nofollow - A Song of Ice and Fire

Posted By: Molitro
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 09:30
May I start by saying I've never particularly liked very heavy, or deathy metal (particularly growling). And so, falling in my tastes, a friend showed me the softer side of Opeth with A Fair Judgement and Windowpane. To this day A Fair Judgement is still my favorite Opeth song.
Then I listened to Damnation. Loved it. 
And then, little by little, listened to the harder stuff. Today, Ghost Reveries is still growing on me to the point it's actually my favorite album over Damnation, and consider it little less than a masterpiece, if less at all.

That's the amazing quality of Opeth.

Long live Akerfeldt, and I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Posted By: jverweij
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 09:32
I've been a fan ever since Blackwater Park. I've seen them live no less than 6 times. Up until Heritage they could do no wrong. I used to find music with growls unlistenable, but the interesting riffs and melodies got me hooked enough to listen through them. After awhile I even started appreciating them. The delicate balance between brutal and beautiful is what made Opeth so great.

Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries are in my top 10 of bestestest prog albums. I would rate My Arms, Your Hears, and Still Life almost as high, but can't have a top 10 filled with 1 band. As I said, I really dislike Heritage. This has nothing to do with the absence of growls, heck I even welcome that, but the album lacked focus and just felt messy.

I've heard some of Pale Communion and am happy to say that they seem to be back on track. I find Mikael's sudden dislike of metal a little stupid. On Pale Communion there are a few downright Opeth metal pieces, but because metal is suddenly bad they just turn the distortion down.

Favourite tracks for me are:

the Leper Affinity
Ghost of Perdition
the Drapery Falls

Posted By: opethpainter
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 18:52
ever wondered why i keep being called "opethpainter"? :)

opeth are for sure one of the greatest bands alive today.

FYI, me and a friend of mine have written a book - only available in italian language - it's unofficial, but mikael himself knows about that and owns a copy.

http://www.adventprod.com/le-stagioni-della-luna-gli-opeth-dal-death-al-prog/" rel="nofollow - Here you can find some more infos & photos.

Posted By: rhinehartd
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 04:47
I remember seeing Opeth at the Mayan in LA, on their Heritage tour. The crowd grew increasingly desperate as the night wore on and they didn't play a single one of their heavy songs. Finally, when they launched into a three-song acoustic set, the guy in front of me snapped, let out a frustrated roar, and started headbanging to it. 

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 06:45
Despite being a huge progressive/metal/progressive metal fan...this band just never clicked with me. I've given it try after try after try, and it just does...nothing for me.

Perhaps I should give it another go. I haven't heard their most recent work...

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:35
New album is quite good. All proggers should check their last two... not as good as the 70s, but still worth the while..

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 16:00
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

New album is quite good. All proggers should check their last two... not as good as the 70s, but still worth the while..

Thanks for the insight, I'll have to do just that!

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 16:17
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

LOL
The only one I own is Watershed...but I've heard several of the higher rated ones. They are very good at what they do
and I would prolly be more interested in their  material if it weren't for the 'death growl vocals'.

I've heard one as well, Heritage.  I've also heard Akerfeldt sing one song on an OSI album and really like that song.  I think their new direction is awesome and looking forward to a first listen to Pale Communion soon.  Sadly, there won't be much going back into their back catalog as the death metal growling scares me.  Never been into that.  But I love the dark heavy prog sound on Heritage and looking forward to more of that.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 20:01
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I heard one Opeth album and that was enough for me. Smile

LOL

and I would prolly be more interested in their material if it weren't for the 'death growl vocals'.

I've heard one as well, Heritage. I've also heard Akerfeldt sing one song on an OSI album and really like that song. I think their new direction is awesome and looking forward to a first listen to Pale Communion soon. Sadly, there won't be much going back into their back catalog as the death metal growling scares me. Never been into that. But I love the dark heavy prog sound on Heritage and looking forward to more of that.

I have been enjoying that new album well enough.... even though I still need some more listenings. I feel it's the Heritage experiment giving it's results... it's got a few similarities, but it sounds more focuses. Still, not much metal in there. As for the growling thing, I have never enjoyed that either, so I have been having trouble enjoying Opeth too, though I have given them a few tries. There's also the Damnation album, which is completley growlless, though I'm afraid that even though many people have enjoyed that one a lot, it just didn't do much for me, I found it rather boring. But at least there's the Watershed album, which has several cool songs without growls. So far, the only song with growls that I have really been able to enjoy, a lot, is "The Drapery Falls".

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 08:40
Pale Communion turned up today. I quite enjoyed it, much more focused and cohesive than Heritage, no pointless noodling here, but I think the mix could do with some work. There are times where the guitars could do with being a bit louder or more prominent to emphasise some of the heavier sections.   

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: PJ20
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 02:09

love their soft songs.

Harvest, Windowpane. 

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 02:20
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Pale Communion turned up today. I quite enjoyed it, much more focused and cohesive than Heritage, no pointless noodling here, but I think the mix could do with some work. There are times where the guitars could do with being a bit louder or more prominent to emphasise some of the heavier sections.   

Good summation of how I felt about it, actual songs are nice, part of me thinks some of Heritage was improv, Heritage 3 starts, Pale Communion 4 stars, only complaint for me are the underwhelming lyrical themes. Heritage suffered from that too, guess he's just running out of things to write about. 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:32
My copy of the CD turned up today too, does anyone else find the lyrics really hard to read? 

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:48
Yeah, that styalised font wasn't a good idea, even if it does fit in with the rest of the artwork. Can't say I've noticed any lack in the lyrics but at this point I'm more interested in the vocal melody than the lyrics anyway.

I'm surprised at the reviews that are being posted for this album so far, reading them any one would think that it's a soft, mellow album like Damnation when it really isn't. Some people are seriously in need of learning that you don't have to be metal to be heavy, and Pale Communion is still quite a heavy album.

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 21:46
Yeah, it isn't soft un-metal album as Damnation. But I still would have liked it to be heavier... with a more metal sound. However, it's really great just as it is anyway, so I guess I shouldn't complain. The thing is, I would still like to hear a true metal album from Opeth, but without growls.

Posted By: javajeff
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 22:53
The new album is solid and I gave it 4 stars.  While I gave Heritage 4 stars as well, I think it is more like 3.5 whereas Pale Communion is closer to 4.5.  It took me a while to get used to the grunting, but not I love it.  I think Still Life, Ghost Reveries, and Blackwater Park are masterpieces.   I just got Watershed, and it is also excellent.  I still need to get the first three, and there is a box set called Candlelight Years that I am thinking about.

UPDATE:  I did decide to bump up the new album to 5 stars since we have no 10 point rating system.  The more I listen to it the more I love it, even though it is not a progressive metal album.  I am rating it on the merits as a progressive rock release and it is easily as good as anything else out right now.

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 04:28
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

The new album is solid and I gave it 4 stars.  While I gave Heritage 4 stars as well, I think it is more like 3.5 whereas Pale Communion is closer to 4.5.  It took me a while to get used to the grunting, but not I love it.  I think Still Life, Ghost Reveries, and Blackwater Park are masterpieces.   I just got Watershed, and it is also excellent.  I still need to get the first three, and there is a box set called Candlelight Years that I am thinking about.

Get it! Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse are both excellent, My Arms Your Hearse is absolutely essential and every bit as good as BWP 

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 17:55
Thanks!  I plan to get it for free through Amazon.  I just ordered Deliverence for free through Amazon. http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_a74996a0-353e-6ec5-cb39-896f2d8bc839" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 18:18
The new album is fantastic! Naysayers could perhaps give it more of a chance...

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 18:25
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Despite being a huge progressive/metal/progressive metal fan...this band just never clicked with me. I've given it try after try after try, and it just does...nothing for me.

Perhaps I should give it another go. I haven't heard their most recent work...

What albums, or songs have you tried?

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:31
Opeth have been hit or bunt with me. Morningrise completely blows me away with its mood, texture, and technicality. Meanwhile Blackwater Park contains many great moments surrounded by forgetful space. Heritage is something I don't want to think about.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Unitron
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 21:49

^I highly recommend Ghost Reveries if you like Damnation and want to hear something with the perfect balance between heavier and lighter textures. Probably the most musical metal album ever, and boy is it prog.

I love the favorite song choices so far! I have a hard time picking a favorite, so here's a top 5 in no particular order:

Ghost of Perdition

Harlequin Forest

Blackwater Park

Isolation Years

White Cluster

Harlequin Forest is also one of my favorites Smile

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 22:22
I've been meaning to listen to more Opeth. I've never really given them a fair chance.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 02:36
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Opeth have been hit or bunt with me. Morningrise completely blows me away with its mood, texture, and technicality. Meanwhile Blackwater Park contains many great moments surrounded by forgetful space. Heritage is something I don't want to think about.

Still Life, Ghost Reveries, and My Arms Your Hearse are my favs from the band. Morningrise is excellent, nothing they've made since has sounded quite like that album. BWP to me has four great songs in Leper Affinity, Bleak, Drapery Falls, and Blackwater Park, but even Bleak and Drapery Falls drag a little too long, still like the album but they've done better.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:05
Blackwater Park is just perfect to me.  I put it up there with Still Life and Ghost Reveries.  Although I have never heard My Arms Your Hearse and Morningrise yet, which I hope to get to soon.

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 06:08
I disagree, Blackwater Park is their best album IMO. I also prefer Orchid over Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse over Still Life but since then they've been rather patchy. Deliverance is terrible, Damnation boring, Ghost Reveries is OK but the production isn't good and several songs are far too long, Watershed's OK but the songs don't seem to gell together as an album and Heritage is overly noodly and lacking in focus. PC might actually be their best album since BWP.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I've been meaning to listen to more Opeth. I've never really given them a fair chance.

If you like classic prog or Goblin, you would love this album!Smile

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 16:16
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Still Life, Ghost Reveries, and My Arms Your Hearse are my favs from the band. Morningrise is excellent, nothing they've made since has sounded quite like that album. BWP to me has four great songs in Leper Affinity, Bleak, Drapery Falls, and Blackwater Park, but even Bleak and Drapery Falls drag a little too long, still like the album but they've done better.
I feel like the title track is the only one that doesn't feel dragged on as much as the others. It still has some of that feeling, but it sounds marginally more coherent.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 16:31
Just gave the last album a spin and was impressed, close to their best releases Big smile

Recommended for proggies who disliked the metal side of Opeth (not me, not me)

Posted By: Pontos
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 01:11
There is an acoustic bit in Tubular Bells part one around the 7 and a half minute mark, that to me sounds very Opethian, it last's about a minute and a half. I've speed listening through a bunch of Opeth songs that I thought it might be in but I seem can't find it and it's driving me nuts. Can anyone help? 

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

If you like classic prog or Goblin, you would love this album!Smile
I like both, but rarely like modern bands who strive for the former. At the same time, Goblin is an interesting enough reference point to make me want to check it out. I've sampled a little of Blackwater Park too and liked what I heard.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Lady_fantasy
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 00:29
They are one of my favorite bands. I'm a big fan (the enough big that I have an opeth tattoo)...It's difficult for me choosing a favorite opeth album, because I like them all ( but not all the songs on them)... I find their music  beautiful and Melancholic even almost all their death metal songs are like that for me... maybe It's what I love of them, they can be very brutal and really soft but they never lose their melancholic.
And about Heritage I like it but not as their other albums, and I cannot give a opinion about Pale Communion because I haven't listened it the enough, yet.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 02:54
Pretty impressed by the new one although I've only heard it twice.  What I love is the fact that the songs seem very similar in composition approach and structure to the classic old days, just less heavy.  As I'm a big fan of the Still Life-Ghost Reveries era this is good news for me after Heritage which I found a little unfocused and had a tendency to drift off (some may see that as a good thing I suppose).  I could easily imagine either of the first two tracks appearing on Ghost Reveries if the heaviness was increased and growls added Wink.  The conclusion of track three is amazing.  

Posted By: PJ20
Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:32

I like opeths soft songs, metal is too disturbing

Posted By: Claypool90s
Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 18:18
The way to be progressive and atmospheric at the same time

Posted By: Senti-mental
Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 19:10
Aker is God! What a lovely fella

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: September 06 2014 at 00:01
Their new album was a nice surprise. Probably their best, as far as I'm concerned. An enormous improvement over Heritage. I don't like harsh vocal metal, so other than that it's Damnation which is a bit too thin but still kind of nice. I've always took 'Atonement' from Ghost Reveries to be an indicator that they could write actual prog if they really wanted to, and the new album does have a similar sound, with the cool Eastern melodies.

Posted By: Phaolrym
Date Posted: September 06 2014 at 01:10
I generally don't like the powerful Opeth very much. The sound, musicianship and brutal vocals are just too powerful for me. The only exception is Morningrise, among their albums that include harsh vocals. I like Pale Communion very much. Lots of metal bands that I like tend to change their sound to make it smoother and more groovy in recent years, and Opeth is among the ones that has done it properly.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk